Eureka Seven Fan Fiction ❯ Dawn, Pure and Simple ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Eureka Seven. This work is pure fiction.
 
Author's note: There is something wondrous about this relationship, despite it being almost always one-sided. I quite envy Dominic for being able to pursue Anemone, even after all the hardships she's put him through. At the time I'm writing this, I'm only at episode 46, so I haven't been able to see the results of his efforts yet. This is sort of my salute to Dominic, for sticking in there right until the end. I guess, after everything he's been through, I want him to have something to hold on to.
-Raimidori
 
POV: Dominic
 
-----------------------------------------
 
The ship is cold. So cold. The sound of my steps hitting the floor echo loudly in the hallway. It's a sad sound, and I want to stop walking. But my brisk military gait doesn't even falter. The sound gets louder until I realize my ears will never stop ringing. It's a horrid thought, one that will haunt me for a long time. I reach the door. Its unfeeling steel taunts me with my reflection.
 
When I was trained to enter the military, not one person told me it would be like this. I was told I would be out there, fighting rogues like the Gekko State as a protector of justice. What a joke. Instead, I'm whisked away into a freezing ship, and am barked at by every single officer that just seems to outrank me. And for what? We're not trying to help at all! Since when did the Colonel not care about innocent lives? Since when are the deaths of entire cities at a time `just another sacrifice towards out goal'? I'm sick and tired of it.
 
That Colonel doesn't seem to care at all. Since when do we, the protectors of the earth, sacrifice little girls to pilot killing machines? Since when does the Colonel inject deadly medication into innocents, pulled at random from sick experiments? I'm going to be the one to save her. One day, I'm going to walk right into her room, pull her onto her feet, and just fly away, far, far away where no one will ever find us. I want her to see what it's like to live.
 
My undecided expression catches me off guard. I wipe it off my face as quick as I can, and proceed through the mocking door with the tray of steaming food. Anemone lies on the bed, staring off into space. “Anemone?” My voice is shaky as I call out her name. She doesn't respond.
“I brought your food.”
“I don't want it.”
“At least try to eat something!
“I'm not hungry.”
“Anemone, if you don't eat, you could…”
“Dominic, I don't care! Get out!”
Her sudden angry expression shakes me. She is sitting up, fuming. “Anemone, what's wrong?” A tear glitters in the corner of her eye. “Dominic, I'm going to die…” I am taken aback. “W-what? Are you feeling sick, Anemone?” She suddenly looks annoyed at herself for even telling me so much. “Get out.” I feel the weight of her pain on my shoulders, and I almost want to leave, just to get a breath of the pureness of not knowing. Instead, I take a quick glance at her face. The tears are haphazardly shivering at the edge of her eyes, threatening to spill over at any time. “I'm not leaving. Tell me what's wrong, Anemone!” She shakes with the anger and fear she has kept bottled up inside. “I'll call the Colonel! I'll call the Colonel if you don't leave right now!” I hesitate. She does have that kind of power. Then, in a rush, I realize that I don't care anymore. I came here all the way to see her, and if she's in pain, then I will do everything in my power to help her. That's right. I promised myself that I'd save her. Anemone stands up, taking long strides until she's right in front of me. “Dominic, what do you want?!?” I want to embrace her. The very thought colours my face a rosy hue. “I want to know what's wrong, alright? I care about you.” In the spur of the moment, I put my hand on her shoulder. She throws it off like it's a persistent fly.
 
At last I can take it no longer. How unfair is this? The one person that I love the very most, the one that I am infatuated with, sees me just like anyone else. No, she almost despises me. Every time she looks into my eyes, it's to throw a sharp word at me or glare menacingly behind pink bangs. Yet, how I love her. How I cherish every moment spent with her, even when it's rewarded with a hearty slap or kick to the gut. The words echo within my head, banging on the walls in frustration. You can change what you want to change. I wonder if those words belonged to me, or if they were taken from a dusty and ancient book with yellowed pages that fluttered at the slightest breeze, resting peacefully somewhere within the ruins of my home.
 
I kneel down onto my knee, and look up at her porcelain white face, wanting so much to brush the hair out of her eyes or even just dry her tears. I take her trembling hand, and, ever so slightly, brush my lips over it, my heart fluttering wildly. When I summon the courage to take a peek, her expression has softened quite a bit. I drop her hand awkwardly. Avoiding my eyes, she sits down so she's on the same level as me, her cheeks painted a slight pink. “I've… I've failed, Dominic.” Her voice is high-pitched and frantic. “I've already lost to the Neervash so many times, and Duey is going to… he's going to kill me. He's going to kill you too! Dominic, I don't want to die! I don't! What should I-” I take her hand once more, pulling her almost violently into my arms. I can feel her struggling, but I persist. “If you want me to let you go, Anemone, just tell me to.” She opens her mouth for a second, but clamps it shut just as fast. She closes her eyes elegantly, holding her arms at her sides limply. I struggle for the right words to say. “Don't worry, Anemone. Nothing's going to happen to you.” I tighten my hold, feeling the warmth of her body pressing on mine. Her tears splash freely onto my shoulder, darkening my uniform in a wet blob. “How… how do you know? You're just… you're just Dominic, like always. Nothing's changed. Nothing's changed at all.” The bitterness in her tone is so strong that her voice sounds like she's suddenly aged a thousand years. “You're wrong, Anemone. Everything's changed. You want to know why? Because since the moment I met you, I've never been able to express my feelings. Not once. But now I can.” I take a deep breath. “Anemone, I… I love you. I love you more than anything or anyone in my life. I'm always going to be here. I'm going to protect you… forever. So whenever you feel sad or angry, just come to me, alright? You're not alone anymore.” I can feel her breath on my neck. “Is that… can you promise me?” I gently caress her hair, feeling its smoothness. I put my hands on her face and gently pull her towards me. Her eyes don't open. So I let my eyelids fall until I can no longer see a thing. And then I move closer until I can feel her lips brushing mine. “Of course.”
 
I watched the clouds float by, each on their own wondrous morning stroll. I looped my arms around her waist, watching the dew on the grass glitter like fresh snow. From the board, everything still seems big, and the small things still seem small. We have a long way to go, but we know exactly where we're going. It gives me a sort of happy feeling. To finally be able to fly away. That promise was real. I meant every minute of it.
 
I hope she knows that.