Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction ❯ The Empire ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four
 
Melayna glanced over to her very quite son who looked deep in thought as their carriage continued down the road. She hoped he wasn't still brooding about the last conversation they had with each other. Knowing that perhaps she wasn't in the right place to speak so boldly of it, she felt it was necessary for him to know where she stood with it.
 
Seth's nerves were getting the best of him as his mind raced with the vision of his future wife, depicted so horribly by Rafael.
 
Mouth of horse with repulsive teeth sticking out, I tell ya! I don't know how Jerock could have let a monster like her breath a second of life! Why if that were MY daughter, I would think it to be my duty to slay her myself! Do not worry, sire, I'm sure she has a heart of an angel. Ay, if you cover her face with some garment, I'm sure that should cover up most of the horror. That shall do, I'm sure of it!
 
Seth felt like vomiting. How could he have angered the God's so much as to have such a horrible fate?
 
“You aren't still upset about it, are you, darling?” questioned his mother.
 
He looked at her quite puzzled and it took a few moments for him to realize what she was inquiring about. He then gave her a warm smile.
 
“How could anyone stay angry at you for long? I understand that you didn't mean to sound so offensive, you were worried.” He gently patted her hand, “You needn't be, though; I will keep both of them happy. You are forgiven.” With that he leans back on to the seat.
 
Melayna arches her eyebrow amazed at what just happened. She started to open her mouth to let him know that she sure as hell wasn't apologizing on her behalf. She wanted to say that it was he that needed to stop being so stubborn and self-centered, but realized perhaps now wasn't the right time. So instead, she closes her mouth and turns her attention back to the window, forcing herself to look interested at the passing trees.
 
Seth's gaze stayed a few moments longer on his mother as he tried to figure out why she looked at him so perplexed. He knew that it was probably tearing her to pieces thinking that he was still upset at her for their last conversation.
 
Such a fragile woman. He thought kindly to himself.
 
Content that he had put his mother back at ease, he returned to his brooding state. If it weren't for the love of his country and that of his father, he wouldn't go through this ordeal. Then, an image of Rose flashed through his mind. He cursed under his breath.
 
How fare was it that the one woman he loved and cared for was someone he couldn't legally have? Instead he was forced to swear under God and his countries that he would love, cherish, and respect a woman that owned no part of his heart.
 
The sounds of trumpets pierced through his thoughts and color drained form his face. Closing his eyes he takes a deep breath.
 
This is it. Just do it. He thought to himself. God, please don't let her be too horrid.
 
--------------------
 
Jemma gently placed the veil over Cassandrah's face as they stood a good distance away from the bridge where the ceremony would take place. She was hidden from view by twelve Dryden guards that surrounded her.
 
Cassandrah's heart was racing and her hands were slightly shaking. Glancing over to the bridge, that connected both countries, she notices a silver haired man slowing stepping to the middle of it. She knew instantly it was he.
 
“Are you ready?” Jerock questioned as he stepped to her side and extended his arm.
 
“Of course,” she looked up to him with acknowledgment and placed her hand on his arm. With that, the soldiers moved aside to create a path for them towards the bridge.
 
This is it. Just do it. She thought to herself. God, please let everything be all right.
 
-----------------------
 
As he stood at the center of the bridge with Blake, Harold, and Rafael standing not far behind him, he kept his gaze at the group of guards a few distance away. If he looked hard enough, he could see glimpses of a white gown. He knew that she was in the middle of all of them.
 
Must be more repulsive than I thought if Jerock has to have guards surround her. He thought horridly to himself. Probably would scare all the people away.
 
“No turning back now, aye lad?” Harold jested as Rafael elbowed him on the ribs.
 
“Don't talk to him. Can't you see he's already turning colors?”
 
Seth's stomach was beginning to churn as he watches Jerock retrieve his daughter. He glanced over the crowd quickly and spotted the one person that would calm his nerves. His shoulders relaxed and he couldn't help but keep his eyes fixated on her.
 
Rose looked like an angel in a crowd of filth as she stood there with all her beauty. Her raven black hair was curled, floating against the wind. She was wearing a scarlet red gown, which made her stand out of the crowd even more, gold jewelry dripping down her neck. She looked somewhat gaudy to others around her, but to Seth, she looked perfect. Her navy blue eyes were obsessed at him as she maintained a demure look on her face. He still couldn't believe that a real woman like herself could love him so much.
 
A hushed silence fell through the crowd; enough to bring Seth back to reality. He looked around to see what caused such and impact and his confusion was built up even more as he saw his generals' expression. Harold looked like he had seen the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow while Blake merely gave a satisfied smile. He slowly followed their gazes that were directed to the on coming procession.
 
Coming towards him was Jerock with a petite woman by his side, one could only assume to be Seth's bride. She had a floor length ivory gown that had intricate gold details around the hems and shoulder. There were slits on the sides of her dress that showed the golden silk fabric underneath. She had a small waist and seemed perfectly proportioned in Seth's eyes. Thus far, she seemed anything other than horrid. The procession was taking longer than Seth was comfortable with, and no longer being able to wait, he took it upon himself to end the anticipation. He quickly walked towards his bride and her very irritated father. As soon as he was but a foot away, his breath was taken away; the woman merely lifted her gaze to look at him, and through her veil, he could see deep emerald eyes that stared at him with slight curiosity.
 
Not knowing what he was doing, Seth had stepped closer to her, his hand shaking as he reached for the veil. Both their eyes were locked with one another as he slowly lifted the veil away from her face. What he saw was anything but what he had expected.
 
She was a gorgeous woman, though that didn't seem to do her justice. The emerald jewelry that she wore on her hair and neck couldn't compare to the color of her eyes. They were bright green and seemed to have hints of gold on the outer edges. She had full lips that now had a slight smile on them. Her cheeks were slightly flushed and as Seth placed one hand gently on them, it felt like silk. Her auburn colored hair shown brightly against the sun and the closest thing he could compare this woman to was a goddess.
 
 
Cassandrah began to blush as she stared at this man who was looking at her like she had just grown another head. Her heart was skipping a beat as she continued to try to look on calmly. She thought of him to be a very handsome man, in her eyes. He had a chiseled look; his eyes were that of sapphire which contrasted against his short silver hair. When he placed a hand against her cheek, she felt the warmth of it that seemed to fill her whole body. She closed her eyes against his touch and was shocked as she felt his lips touch hers. She melted against him seeming to forget how to stand, thankful that his hands were placed on her shoulders for support.
 
The roar of the crowd's approval brought both of them back to reality and Cassandrah quickly placed her hands over her burning cheeks. Seth merely looked to the crowd with content, smiling from ear to ear. Glancing back down to his lovely bride, he cups her chin, tilting her face up to meet his eyes.
 
“God isn't angry at me after all.” He quickly kisses her forehead as he reaches down for her hand and leads her to the bridge with Jerock, grumbling and cursing under his breath, trailing behind.
 
Confused about the comment, Cassandrah follows him docilely, not thinking much of it. To her, she had the rest of her life to figure him out.
 
As the ceremony continued, the crowd was pleased to see the two heirs stealing quick glances at one another. It seemed like it was the perfect match, even to Melayna. She couldn't hold back the tears that were coming down her face as her son exchanged rings and promises with his beautiful wife. To her, he looked happy with his eyes always seeming transfixed on the princess. After years of doubt, she was now satisfied that Alexander did make the right decision after all. She could die knowing that.
 
However, in Blake's eyes, there were still roadblocks before his future king and queen could be happy. Though Seth did seem to look quite ecstatic at the moment, he knew him well enough. Cassandrah was quite beautiful, more attractive than when Rafael and he had last seen her from the distance. But he wondered how long her beauty could hold before Seth would be weary of it.
 
He looked over the crowd and spotted Rose instantly. She was the only one not smiling. If it were to be possible, the stare she bore on the back of Seth's head would be enough to burn right through his skull. His friend had the right head on his shoulder, he was a great leader and compassionate like his father. But his only flaw was that woman. She was the only one that could make him weak. And he was the only man to not see her, as she truly was, a common wench.
 
As Blake looked from one woman to the other, he knew Seth had a war of the heart ahead of him. Cassandrah seemed to him like fire while Rose was like ice. Two elements that were never meant to get along. One could melt the ice while the other could extinguish the fire. His heart reached out for his friends' bride for she did not know the circumstances of her husband's love. He could only pray that she had much more to offer him than her beauty, he hoped she would be the right woman to show him the light.
 
------------------------------
 
Her blood boiled at the sight she saw. Seth looked like a lovesick puppy, stealing glances with his whore of a bride as the rest of the crowd cheered and sighed with happiness. She felt disgusted when she had to watch his expression as he lifted that veil off her face.
 
What a fool he had made of himself! She thought. Making a scene by kissing her like that! And that whore! Instead of acting demure and lady-like, she steps closer to him, wanting more! Why this woman doesn't know the first thing of being a lady, ha! She's probably dim-witted.
 
Satisfied that she had torn the woman to pieces in her mind, Rose merely looked on to the ceremony, her mind racing with ideas as to get Seth alone. She wanted to make sure that he remembered her, the love of his life. The gentle, sweet Rose she made him think she was; her heart, too fragile to handle such heartache as this. She needed to solidify herself in his life; she couldn't risk losing such an expensive toy. Rose decided that she would find a way to see him before the night's festivity was over.
 
-------
 
The ceremony was drawing to its conclusion and the groom has just presented his bride with her wedding gift, a massive dragon.
 
Cassandrah was speechless as she was forced to face a monster fifty times her height.
 
“It is still young,” Seth informed as he stood beside his very confused wife. “Came from the best dragon tamers in the world, I thought you might like it.”
 
She wondered how much `thought' did he really place on this unusual gift. Not wanting to be rude, she thanked him and forced herself to take a few steps closer to it. Cautiously, she extended her hand up and as if in cue, the dragon bends its long neck down allowing the princess to stroke the bridge of her nose.
 
It was strange, but Cassandrah's fear for this dragon completely vanished. As she gazed into the dragon's eyes, she could see herself reflected against it, it's eyes casting a gentle lavender shade.
 
“It seems to take a liking of you.” Seth admired.
 
She glanced over to him as she continued to graze her hand gently over the scales of this mysterious animal.
 
“It is beautiful.” She softly replied.
 
“Does it please you?” He inquired as he continued to watch her with such intensity.
 
She looked to him slightly shocked, no one had ever asked her that. “Of course,” was all she could say.
 
In one fluid motion, Seth had lifted himself on to the dragon and bent down to extend his hand to hers.
 
“Come. Let me show you your new home.”
 
Stunned at the proposal, she merely stood there for a few moments. There was a difference between being close to a dragon and riding it, being hundreds of feet above the ground. But she looked up into his eyes; there was that feeling once again. In his eyes, she felt safe… protected. It seemed like the world around them had stood still and in the heavens eyes, they were the only two that existed. Losing her indecision, she takes his hand and pulls herself up and on to the beast. Seth had merely placed one arm around her waist before she melted against him, letting out a soft sigh.
 
Seth softly chuckled as he reached his other arm over to the reigns. With a slight tug, he gets the dragon to extend its massive wings and lift itself of the ground. Within seconds, they were hundreds of feet off the ground; the crowd slowly disappearing from sight and clouds were the only things that surrounded them. Cassandrah had never known such peace and beauty as what she saw at the moment. As they continued to glide over mountains and clouds, she felt as if she had reached heaven itself; and as she looked behind her, to her husband, she believed he was her angel.
 
Seth on the other hand, was too preoccupied on the woman that was pressed against him. It took all of his discipline just to not take her somewhere secluded and do things to her that would even make the devil himself blush. He tried to get his mind on other things as he tried to ignore the lavender scent that wafted off her hair. Glancing to the country below him, he realized that they were right above his kingdom.
 
“That's our estate,” he pointed to the massive sized kingdom that sprawled for miles. Lush green forests surrounded the country and you could see the ocean only a few distances away. To have such a sheltered life, in Cassandrah's eyes, the place was more than she could ever wish for.
 
She smiled back to him, her eyes glistening with joyful tears. “This is more than I can ever wish for.”
 
“I am pleased to hear that,” as he looked in her beautiful green eyes, he could sense that this woman was rarely given any chance of happiness and he swore then and there that he would try to make up for those times. Though he knew he couldn't give her the love she may be hoping, he sure as hell would try to keep her happy, she deserved that.
 
While they continued to fly over the countryside, both fell into silence as both contemplated the future they faced together. At the end of the day, both were satisfied on the outcome of the wedding. Their expectations were met, Cassandrah was married to a man that seemed to care for her happiness, and as for Seth; well, he was just content that she wasn't an ogre.
 
 
A/N: All right, a little bit longer than the others I hope. Sorry it took a couple of days to update. My laptop broke on and so everything I had saved was deleted… permanently! Which means, I had to re-write this chapter, something I wasn't too thrilled about. I feel like this could have been better and I may revise it in the future. But for the moment, I was just frustrated on having to redo this chapter. The chapters to follow should be coming up soon, once I decide what direction I want it to go to. Suggestions, critiques and kudos are always appreciated! Thank you.