Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Kalin's Journey ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I rolled over on the bed, changing my scales to the same color of my bedsheets, I glanced over at the clock, grumbling. It was only 7, and I really didn't want to wake up. I glanced over a cleared spot on the floor, one of the blankets from my closet laying on top of the desert fox. I got up, rubbing my eyes, I grabbed another blanket, laying it over him, I went into the kitchen. I went into the pantry, foraging around, I pulled down a box of frosted flakes, I then went to the fridge, nabbing the milk, I sat down with a bowl of frosted flakes, I quietly ate, thinking to myself. I glanced over as I heard a groan, the fox, I was thinking of naming him Sheddek, I'd have to talk to him about it.
I put the bowl in the sink, rinsing it out first, I glanced over at him, I could tell he had done a decent job of cleaning, I could actually see my floor for once. I could also tell he was dead tired, and I wasn't about to wake him up. I went over to the TV, plugging in a pair of headphones, I sat on the edge of the bed, my tail wrapped up in blankets by it's own movements, I grumbled, turning on the sci-fi channel to watch old episodes of The Hulk. I knew I was bored when I had nothing better to do but watch some stupid show. I rolled my feet out from under me, so that I was laying on my stomach, I reached behind me, unwrapping my tail. I frowned, thinking, wondering if it was today or tommorow I had my match. "Twas today." I blinked, glancing behind me. he was sitting up in the bed, looking at me.
"You can read minds?" He shrugged, rubbing his head.
"I don't like to, and I don't normally...but sometimes it happens when someone's heavily broadcasting their thoughts...like you just did." He got up, rubbing his eyes, He began to fold up the blankets. "You have a shower I can use?" I shrugged, pointing down the hall. "Yeah, down the hall and to the right." I watched him pad off in the direction, looking at his tail as it swished from left to right and right to left. He really was cute...and could have some other uses if I needed. I hummed, picking up a few things, I knew with him in the house I would have less sleep, as he was another creature in my domain, but I didn't really mind...it gave me time to clean up. I glanced up as he came out a few minutes later, the towel wrapped around his waist. I looked around, throwing him an overcoat. "Since your freedom is unattainable, here's something to cover yourself if you want when your outside...It's up to you." He blinked me. I could tell it was the first time recieving a gift as he blinked at me.
"Thank you...I...I've never been given anything before..." I shrugged, patting him on the shoulder.
"Don't worry about it. I'm going to give you a bit of money, as I've got some things I need to pick up in town. I want you to spend it as you will, get some clothes, whatever. I also need you to stop by the Leather shop and get a collar with this insignia imprinted on it." I handed him a slip of paper, the insignia inside a picture of a chameleon sitting on a branch, a feather next to him. The chameleon had it's tail wrapped around the branch and feather, the tail becoming black where the feather was, the rest of him staying green. he took it, folding it up. "I'll see you at the arena around noon, take care of yourself, and as long as you have the insignia, I don't care the material." He nodded, taking the bag of Kalidins. Right now it was nearly empty, only holding 2 platinum kalidins and a gold kalidin. He slid the paper into the sack, bowing, I shooed him out the door.
I picked up my sword, looking at the house, I threw on a black trenchcoat, the dragon scale plating inside the leather making it heavier, I threw my shield on my back. I reached down, picking up a pair of daggers, I strapped the sheathes to my inner arm, locking the metal bracelets to each wrist, I pulled the trenchcoat down over them. I picked up my own moneysack, sliding it into my pocket, I had about 40 platinum Kalidins on me, more then enough, as far as I figured, to get myself something to eat, maybe get a few drinks, and provide myself some entertainment while I was at it...and it was always smart to carry extra anyways, especially when you had more then enough to suffice for th next 10 years.
I hummed, walking outside the house, the end of my talons touching the ground under me as I walked, I pouned on a nearby wall, shooting up the side, I wanted to get somewhere, and I wasn't in a very patient mood, I just didn't know where. Maybe I woul go take a swim and a nap in the nearby park. Yeah, that sounded good. I ran down the other wall, zipping to the park, I constantly dipped through the population, careful not to hit anyone, I found the lake, I made a quick "YEEE!" sound, running over the top of the water, I got about halfway then stopped. I sank in, the water enveloping me, I began to swim, only coming up for air when I had to, otherwise I spent my time in the water with the fish.
I stepped out of the water, my scales dripping, I laid down on the ground in a warm shady spot, I closed my eyes, completely flopped out, I soon fell asleep, dreaming of normal lizard things, like sunbathing and hunting. I was woken up about an hour later, someone nudging me with their foot. I opened one eye, turning it toward them. I blinked, noticing it was sheddek. "Thought you might want to know your arena match starts in an hour. Might want to go eat." I nodded, putting my legs under me, I stood up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I turned back to him, taking a good look. He handed me a silver key, I frowned, looking at it.
"And this is?" I asked, looking it over. I looked at his neck, seeing the metallic black 2 inch thick collar around his neck. I studied it a little closer, realizing it wasn't just a normal collar, he'd had one sized for himself, the insignia imprinted and colored on the front. I nodded.
"For the collar of course. You own the key." I nodded, pocketed the key. He handed me his moneybag, handing it to me. I glanced in, noticing he'd spent most of it, I shrugged, that had been the purpose. "Lets get to the Arena." I nodded, letting him lead the way. For some reason, I thought we'd gotten off the wrong foot, but he was proving to be a worthy ally.
"By the way, I was doing some thinking...does Sheddek work?" He blinked, glancing at me. I could see suprise in his eyes.
"Yeah, that'd work. But how did you come up with that name?"
"Just thought of it why?"
"It's my old nickname when I was a kid."
"Oh." we continued walking, I was studying the bastard sword on his back, the thing was a good sturdy size, and I was halfway amazed at the fact that he could weild it, though the edge was blunt...I'd have to sharpen it for him. I entered the arena, bowing before Hito, Sheddek doing the same. "I'm ready." He nodded, leading us to the bleachers, he showed where Sheddek could sit, I chuckled as he got an honored seat, reserved for those close to the warriors. I handed him a gold krilion, telling him to use it how he wanted. I jumped over the wall, landing on all four on the other side, my tail straight behind me, I glanced around. "When's he arriving?"
"Now." I yelped as a winged cat came out of nowhere, I rolled to the side, narrowly missing a dagger slice to the chest, I unsheathed my own, grabbing the hilts, I turned to see the crowd gathering as I took up my spot in the arena, watching the cat take his.
"Who are you?" I asked, the daggers held in a Pi Qua stance, he held the same.
"Most call me Raven." I nodded, I knew the name, and I knew this was going to be a tough battle. I glanced over as the referee came over, giving us the typical blah blah blah about how we could die and have a clean fight and all that good bs. I waited for him to leave, my attention on catboy, he ran toward me, his blades arching, I put my arm up, the blades sliding across my scales and trenchcoat, I smiled, slashing my blade into his side, I had time to notice his eye scar was died blue before I jumped back, ripping my dagger back.
He growled, hissing as the wound sealed itself. "An Auto-Healer. great." I twirled my blades around, knowing this could be even more difficult, as he began running, disappearing, I gasped, dropping forward as his elbow caught me in the upper section of my back. He grabbed my tail, pickign me up, he began to swing me around, letting me go, I rolled into a spiked ball, my back blades raised, the trenchcoat falling to the ground, He came up, spiking me back to the ground. I landed on the ground with a sold thud, I unrolled myself, my tail snapping next to me like a whip, I grabbed my arm, popping the wrist back into place. "Ow." I pulled the chain up, grabbing the dagger again. I turned around, hearing the cat chanting something, as I turned around I felt a sharp pain slam into my chest, then the world going dark.