Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction ❯ Why the Weeping Willow Weeps ❯ Why the Weeping Willow Weeps ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Characters: OCs
Genre: Legend
Reason: Homework >_>
By: Yoh/Kio/Kohana
Title: Why the Weeping Willow Weeps
 
 
Why the Weeping Willow Weeps
 
“I can't stand it anymore…” said the 16 year old boy. The garden around him listened. His garden listened. He sighed as she stood up. “Thank you for listening to me, again” he said, as he finished relaying his problems to his secret place. He had discovered it one day as he was running away from home. It had all the different kinds of plants that he could ever think of, but the best part, was that it seemed to listen to him. It was the only thing that would. His parents didn't listen. The kids at school all thought he was weird and didn't talk to him, so when he found the garden, it was like it reached out to him. Almost like he could hear it saying `It's ok, I'll listen to what you have to say.' So since then, he has come back every day to talk to the garden. But this day was different… “Stay. Tell me more.” “What? Who's there?!” he asked, whirling around and running head first into a tree… Knocking himself out cold…
 
“…Are you alright?” He opened his eyes, and then closed them again. When he realized what he had seen, his eyes flew open and he scooted back a bit. Hovering in front of him was this, what seemed to be, a faerie. She was about a foot high, and had blond hair, with a small crown of flowers atop it, about as long as she was. She had on a flowing white gown and two light blue translucent wings sprouting from her back. She closed her eyes and smiled. Without moving her lips, she said “I'm so glad you're alright, Jason. I'm sorry for startling you.” Jason blinked, and then tilted his head a bit. “You know my name…?” he said more to himself then as a question. The faerie looked at him, speaking without moving her lips again. “I know what you have told me. I am Faria. This garden is me.” She replied as Jason steadied himself enough to get into a sitting position. “So… What you're saying is that… This is your garden?” he asked, still a bit confused. Faria thought a bit, and then shook her head. “No, I am this garden. This garden is me.” She held out her palm, and a seed seemed to grow out of its center. Overturning her hand, the seed detached itself from her and made its decent. She watched it fall, and when it hit the ground, it slowly grew into a plant, a rose bush without thorns. As Jason watched, mystified, flower buds appeared, and then blossomed. Faria smiled and looked back up to Jason, who was still staring at the flowers. He tore his gaze from the miracle he witnessed to once again face Faria. “How… How…” He couldn't get his question out. “I am this garden, this garden is me. I have been listening.” Faria replied, still a bit sketchy on her language. Jason cleared his throat and shook his head, for the twelfth time. Then it hit him, and he blushed slightly as his question tumbled off his lips. “You… You mean I've been talking to you about all my problems?!” Faria nodded. “Yes, and I've listened. I will continue to listen, if you choose to tell me that is…” Faria added, sensing confusion from Jason. Jason thought a bit, and then stood. “I don't know… I never knew I was talking to something. No on ever listens, so I came here…” Faria looked a bit desperate “Please. I won't ever come out again. I promise.” Faria pleaded. Jason closed his eyes and ran to the exit, which he finally found. “I don't know!!” He said rather loudly. Faria looked after him, tears in her eyes. “Why did I speak… I was content with him just coming to talk to me…” she thought, a tear shimmering down her cheek to fall off her chin, falling to create a trail of black, violet, magenta and other dark colored plants as she went back to her tree.
 
Jason walked along the path, his path, to HIS garden. He stopped at the gate, not knowing if he should return or not… He looked around… No sight of her anywhere. Slowly, he proceeded to his normal seat. There where new flowers. All kinds, but the main pattern he saw was the sadness. As soon as he sat down, the flowers perked up, and he could see that they where filled with happiness. Even the black and violet plants where broken from the death that seemed to be-fall the place. Jason looked around again, and sighed. He couldn't talk to something that he knew could talk back. “Faria… You can come out…” he said, thinking the words over as he said them. “Are you sure?” he heard her say, although he couldn't see her. “Yeah, I'm sure…” he replied. Some flowers parted next to him, and he could see Faria walk out, slowly, studying him, as if questioning his invitation to return. “It's ok. I'm not going to run into a tree again…” Jason re-assured her, thinking about his experience the day before. She sat down, glowing with happiness. She looked at him, her eyes the bright color of afternoon sky, even though it was well past 4. Jason looked at her, still a bit confused “Is it alright I ask you questions about yourself?” he asked, wanted to understand. At this, Faria's smile grew twice as big as it was. “Of course, ask as many as you want. No matter what it is, I will answer.” Jason felt relived. He didn't want to talk to someone, or something, he knew nothing about. “Alright,” he started “Where did you come from?” Faria scrunched up her face a bit, “I've lived here for three millennia, although I did come here from Ectropital, in the center of London” she replied, remembering her childhood. Jason blinked, “Th-Three millennia?!” he repeated, not really hearing the rest of what she had said. Faria nodded. “I'm still a beginner in managing my garden. Creation started just a few months ago.” She replied, then added “About the time you starting coming here.” Jason digested the knowledge, and then asked his next question. “Ok… Why, or how, can you speak without using your mouth?” Faria opened her mouth, and moved it, but he couldn't hear what she was saying. After a few seconds, Faria closed her mouth and replied to him in her normal manner of speech, through his mind. “My voice is not audible to human ears. I studied on how to communicate like this for weeks.” Jason was a bit stunned, but decided to accept it because he was accepting everything else. “Ok, well how about….” Jason continued asking questions to Faria, who answered them truthfully. He continued coming back to the garden to talk with her. He grew happier, and would smile often. Faria became attached to him, more then that of mere friendship… One day, he came to the garden at a run, the largest smile Faria had ever seen plastered on his face.
 
“Fay!” he called, using her nickname, “I made a friend!! This guy, Chris, he spoke to me at school!! I can't believe it!” Faria was overjoyed. Plants started to bloom in abundance, and many brightly colored flowers appeared where before where just leaves. “That's great!! I'm so happy you are having a better time at school!” Faria remarked as he came and fell over on the path, panting from his long run from the school. They celebrated that day. Faria promised him that every friend he made, she would create a plant for him. Jason liked the idea, and tried to get a lot more friends. As the days progressed, Faria learned how to grow new things. She planted ferns, and sprouted water lily's. It became that every other day, Jason would go to the garden. Then every week. Faria started to wonder if one day she would never be able to see him again. The idea made her very sad, and in her weakened state, weeds began to overtake her. The next day, Jason returned, the picture of confusion and pain etched on his face. “Fay, I need some advice…” he asked. “Anything, Jason. If I can help, I will.” She replied and stopped working on the weed she was on. He sighed and looked at her, adoration in his eyes that seemed to look into the distance. “I like this girl…” he began. Faria felt a pain in her chest. A pain that moved up her spine and through her body, but she didn't show it. “But I don't know if she likes me… I love her… I don't want to live without her…” Faria knew that he would leave. She suppressed her immediate need to cry out, and slowly began what she would regret for eternity to come… “I can help… Give her a flower, a red rose-” She stopped, remembering the first time she spoke to him, and the meaning the rose gives her. “Um…” she resumed “The rose is a meaning of love. If you can show her you love her, then if she feels the same way, she will let you know. Give it time though.” Jason nodded, understanding. “Thanks Fay! I really owe you one!” he said, and racing out the gate again “I'll stop by tomorrow!!!” he called over his shoulder. Faria fell to her knees, wings to weak to keep her afloat, and cried. She had never cried this hard in her life. She stayed like that for the entire night.
 
Jason returned the next day, as he promised… But with him was a girl… She had mid back dark brown hair, and she dressed as a teenage girl would dress. Tight shirt, short shorts, and makeup. Faria watched her only friend and this stranger come into her garden. She and Jason walked over to the edge of the water, and sat down. “Fay! Come out! I want you to meet someone!” Jason called to the garden. No answer. “Jason, what are you doing?” the girl asked. “I want you to meet Faria, Clare. She helped me through my tough times, and was the first person to listen to me.” He replied, and then tried again. “Faria! Come on! I really want you to meet her!” Still no response. Jason sighed and turned back to Clare, who thought he was crazy or something. Jason spent the rest of the day explaining it too her, but as Faria watched, it was evident that Clare didn't believe him. As they where leaving, Jason turned around for a final attempt. “Fay, could you plant me a tree near the river? It would be great to sit under during sunny days.” He looked around for his friend. Seeing as she wasn't going to come out, he left with Clare. Faria watched them go, and saw how happy he was. She went to the river, and put all her care into planting the requested tree. Her first tree and it was magnificent. It had the longest branches to swing off of, and many leaves for shade. She sat back to admire her work, and then fainted from exhaustion.
 
The next day, Jason came back with Clare again. When he saw the tree, he went ecstatic, telling Clare how Faria was real and that she grew the tree. She still wasn't convinced, but decided to go swimming instead. She jumped in with her clothes on, and told Jason to come in too. Faria watched from the high branches of her tree. She saw Jason smile. It was a smile of love. One he had never shared with her. A few hours later, Jason came up on the bank and saw that the garden had weeded over a bit. He got Clare to help him, and they spent an hour and a half clearing the garden of all the weeds. Faria was very happy at this, and felt much better. After another quick dip in the water, Jason and Clare where laying under the tree, talking. Faria didn't want to listen. She was much to confused about what was happening to her heart then what was being said. After some time, Jason had fallen asleep. Clare got up and went to her bag. Faria watched as she pulled out a knife, walked over to the sleeping boy, and stabbed him. Right in the heart. He screamed and his face was the picture of agonizing pain for just a second. Then silence. Clare got up, dipped the knife into the water and dropped it. Faria was in shock. She started dieing. Her garden started wilting, and the leaves shriveled. Clare started walking to the exit, but stopped cold when she heard the weeping. Emotionally, heart wrenched sobs emitting from the garden. She spun around, and what she saw will stay with her, for as long as she allows herself to live. The tree was crying. Tears fell from the tree like rain, and the trunk slumped over Jasons body. The tears becoming leaves, creating a blanket around him. This magnificent tree, that once stood straight and tall, which had thick branches for climbing, was now this mysterious tree. A tree with a bent trunk, leaves falling in vines toward the water. Clare looked around her. The garden was gone. The petals of the dead flowers floated on an unknown wind around the tree, eventually falling in the water, creating a layer of red atop the now still river. Clare shivered and ran away, never will she return to that place. Never will she take another life for fun. The image of the tree changing itself haunts her every night. Faria lives on in that tree, slumped toward the water. She will live forever, until the end of time itself will she carry the memories of what went on that night. She continues to cry, and her tears scatter, falling to create other trees that cry in the night. For eternity will the Weeping Willow cry out its sorrows on the wind, and never will Faria find happiness.