Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Dead Men Tell No Tales ❯ A New Case ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, so I'm attempting my first multi-chapter Fake fanfic since that….disaster known as “Something Like Forever”. I'm gonna do my best to make this one better than that one. So….let's hope it goes well!
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Fake or any of its characters. If I did….they would probably be abused and angst-ified a lot more often than they are.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 1—A New Case
 
“Do you see him?”
 
“No. You?”
 
“Not down here. Where are you?”
 
“On top of the abandoned building about ten feet to your left.”
 
Dee grinned. “What would I do without you, Ryo?”
 
There was a smile in Ryo's voice as he replied, “Crash, burn, whither and die a bitter, lonely death.”
 
Dee laughed. “Okay, so what now?”
“I'll hang up here a bit, see if he doesn't turn up. You can go back to the precinct if you want.”
 
“Nah, I'll hang. Two guns are better than one. How did you get up there?”
 
“There's a ladder around the side, in the alley. Leads straight up to the roof.”
 
“Okay. See you in a minute.”
 
“Right.”
 
There was a crackling sound as Dee turned off his walkie and headed around the side of the building. After a few minutes, he found an iron ladder attached to the side of the building and had started to climb when Ryo looked down from the roof. His eyes widened and he yelled, “Dee, look out!” A second later, someone yanked sharply at Dee's ankle, and he found himself falling.
 
Luckily, he had only been about six feet up, but slamming against rock-hard pavement never feels good, no matter what height you're falling from. The poor detective lay there for a moment, dazed, fighting for breath, before someone landed on top of him, apparently jumping down from the ladder. Dee couldn't see his attacker's face, but he was willing to bet all his money plus his Knicks season tickets that it was the man they'd been chasing all night. He had been following them the whole time.
 
Damn, he's good. That was the only thought Dee could formulate before a swift blow to his jaw had him seeing stars. Then blows were raining down on him, and Dee could swear he felt a few knife slashes thrown in with the punches. He couldn't even begin to think, much less defend himself. Where the hell was Ryo?
 
Then, suddenly, a gunshot split the night as a scream erupted from the unknown assailant, and he clutched his shoulder as blood exploded from it.
 
Oh. There he was.
 
The gunshot wound distracted the man long enough that Dee could flip him over and pin him, wincing in pain as he did so. Ryo was beside him a moment later.
 
“What took you so long?”
 
“I shot him about thirty seconds after he jumped on you, Dee.”
 
“Well, it felt like longer.”
 
“You okay?”
 
Dee gritted his teeth in pain, trying to figure out how to keep a hold on their suspect and breathe at the same time. He shook his head shortly, gasping for breath.
 
Ryo looked at his lover in concern. “Dee, I've got him,” he said quietly. “Here, let go….”
 
Dee did so gladly, lowering himself to the ground and leaning back against the building in exhaustion, dropping his gun to the ground. Ryo looked over at him again, his brow furrowed, before calling for an ambulance and the 27th precinct. Then he went back to concentrating fully on keeping their suspect pinned.
 
“David Marks, I presume?”
 
No answer, which was enough of an answer for Ryo.
 
“We've been looking for you.”
 
---
 
Ryo sat nervously in the hospital waiting room as he waited for the doctor. He had been waiting for what felt like forever, and still no one had come to tell him about Dee. So he had fallen to staring at the wall with a pensive, worried look on his face.
 
“Randy McLean?”
 
Ryo jumped and turned to see a smiling nurse watching him. “Yes?”
 
“Are you here for Dee Laytner?”
 
“Yes,” Ryo replied, standing quickly. “Is he okay?”
 
“He will be. You can see him now. Follow me.”
 
A relieved sigh escaped Ryo as he stood to follow the nurse. She led him to Dee's room, where Dee was lying on the bed with his eyes closed. His shirt had been removed, his ribs were bound tightly, and his chest was covered with bruises and bandages. There was a brace on his right wrist and a few other bandages covering the knife wounds on his arms, and a spectacular bruise was beginning to form over his eye, along with another that began on his chin and spanned down the left side of his neck. It seemed the suspect had beaten him with a bat or some other blunt object before resorting to plain old fists and a knife.
 
“The doctor will be in in a moment,” the nurse informed Ryo, before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.
 
Ryo went immediately over to the bed, pulling up a chair and sitting down. Reaching out to take Dee's hand, he said softly, “Dee?”
 
Dee's hand tightened on Ryo's, and he opened his eyes slowly, wincing in pain. “Hey.”
 
“Hey,” Ryo replied, smiling, the relief evident in his voice. “You okay?”
 
“….Ow.”
 
Ryo laughed. “Yeah, doesn't look like it feels too good.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“For what?”
 
“For not being able to get him myself. You never should have had to shoot. I should have been able to get him without your help.”
 
“Hey, it's both our faults. Neither of us saw him until he'd already gotten you. He was good at hiding. It's not your fault.”
 
“….Yeah….right….”
 
Ryo smiled and leaned over to kiss Dee's forehead. “My Dee….”
 
“Yours….” Dee liked the way that sounded. He could never hear it enough, it seemed.
 
Ryo's smile widened. “Always. Now what did the doctor say?”
 
“Don't know. Fell asleep.”
 
“Well, go back to sleep. I'll be right here.”
 
Dee had just drifted back to sleep when the door opened. Ryo looked up, and smiled. “Dr. English. Hello.”
 
“Hey, McLean. Heard our boy Laytner was back in here, so I figured it wouldn't be long before I saw you, too.”
 
Ryo opened his mouth to reply, but Dr. English cut him off.
 
“Yeah, yeah, I know the look. The `talk before I beat the life out of you' look. And since I like my life and my limbs and my head, here it is. Dee'll be fine. He's got a broken rib and a few bruised ones, and some of the cuts he got from the knife needed stitches. He sprained his wrist, too. He said he fell from a ladder?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“And then he got the crap beaten out of him?”
 
“That's right.”
 
Dr. English shook his head. “Man, your jobs suck….”
 
Ryo laughed. “No one knows that better than we do, Dr. English.”
 
“All right, well, he can go home tonight. We wanna keep him here for a little while to make sure everything checks out, but you guys should be able to get out of here in a couple of hours.”
 
“Okay. Thanks, Dr. English.”
“No problem, man. Oh, and Ryo?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“See if you can keep him out of my hospital after this? At least for a month?”
 
Ryo smiled. “I'll try.”
 
“Good. Because the nurses hate him.”
 
“I'm sure that's not true.”
 
“Well, believe what you want, but there was talk of tar and feathers the last time he was here.”
 
---
 
“God, I hate this job….” Dee said, groaning as he lowered himself onto his and Ryo's bed, having just changed into a pair of sweatpants to sleep in. “Consider this my resignation, I quit.”
 
Ryo laughed as he finished changing into his pajamas. “Well, I called in sick for you, so you've got tomorrow off, and as much time as you need.”
 
“Nah, I'll go. Can't leave you alone with all that paperwork, can I?”
 
“You never cared before,” Ryo replied, climbing into bed next to Dee and pulling the covers over both of them. He curled up as close to Dee as he could without hurting him and buried his face in Dee's neck. “Does that hurt?”
 
Dee smiled and planted a kiss on top of Ryo's head, his good arm snaking around his lover and pulling him close. “No….it's not bad at all.”
 
---
 
“You've gotta be kidding me!” Dee snapped. “We just wrapped something up last night! We've been working double shifts for the past three weeks! We're tired, man!”
 
Rose blinked at Dee, who was leaning heavily against his desk and looking—if possible—worse than he had the night before. “Too bad, Laytner. You've got a case. I suggest you start it now.” Then Rose turned to Ryo and his smirk changed to a gentle smile. “Good morning, Ryo. How are you?”
 
Ryo looked up from the computer screen, his lips twitching as he tried not to smile. “Fine, sir. Dee's the one who got the crap beaten out of him.”
 
Rose's smile turned cold. “Yes, well…. Perhaps if he had been watching his own back instead of thinking of all the things he could do to you up on that roof with no one watching.” Dee blinked at him, clearly wondering how Rose knew that Ryo had been watching his partner from the roof. Rose's smirk grew. “Eyes and ears everywhere, Detective.”
 
“Bite me,” Dee said coolly.
 
“Bite me, sir. Featured word, sir.”
 
Dee smiled, and to Rose's surprise, he didn't look angry at all. “You know, sir, one day Ryo's gonna come to his senses and file sexual harassment charges against you, and the second you get fired, you can bet I'll kick your ass. Featured word, ass.” The smile widened, but it didn't reach his eyes, which were ice-cold, with a hint of malice hidden deep in their green depths. He was in a very bad mood today, Dee was. “Now, you said you had a case for us?”
 
“I do.”
 
“Then give me the file and get the hell out.”
 
“I really hate that guy,” Ryo stated after Rose had dropped the file onto Dee's desk and left. His voice was calm, as was his face, but his eyes were stormy and had darkened, as they did when Ryo was angry.
 
“Then why don't you stop making nice and show him what you're really made of?” Dee asked absently as he flipped through the file.
 
“So what have we got?” Ryo asked, ignoring Dee's comment as he turned his chair away from the computer.
 
“A note. Apparently Rose couldn't stand to be in the same room with me long enough to brief us in person, so he wrote it all down—in really crappy shorthand, inconveniently enough. And he's able to tell us….pretty much nothing. The FBI has been getting anonymous phone calls, every one threatening a different cop from this precinct. They traced the calls and each one came from a different cell phone. Every cell phone was registered to a different person. Every time they got a call, the phone it came from belonged to a recent murder victim. Then the FBI passed the case to Rose because he has more experience with the 27th. I guess Rose wasn't man enough to handle it, so he threw the case our way.”
 
“Nice, Dee, real nice. Do we have anything to go on? Motive, maybe? A reason for wanting to kill us all?”
 
“Nope. Just a name. Russell Jarvis.”
 
“And? Who is he?”
 
“They don't know. It could be the guy we're looking for, it could be an accomplice. Hell, it could be his butler, for all we know.”
 
“How'd they get it?”
 
“Heard someone yell it in the background during one of the phone calls.”
 
“Great. So that narrows the suspects down to every Russell Jarvis in the entire world. Pretty common name.”
 
“Right. So where do we start?”
 
Ryo thought for a moment. “Okay, I'm gonna get on the computer to see if I can't find a Russell Jarvis in the criminal records.”
 
“And? What do you want me to do?”
 
Ryo looked over at Dee with a smile as he turned back to the computer once again. “Keep me sane.”
 
Dee grinned, and would have gotten up if not for the intense pain in his ribs. So he settled for rolling his chair over to sit next to Ryo and began to play with his lover's hair. “I think I can do that.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
That chapter was shorter than I'd planned and had almost no point, but I wanted to get something posted tonight.
 
There's one thing I think should be noted before this story goes any further. This is the first time I've written about a real case, and I have no idea how to write this sort of thing. The only knowledge of police work I have comes from repeated readings of the Fake manga, extensive watching of Angel seasons one and two, and one midnight viewing of The Division. So if I get everything wrong, please forgive me.