Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act VI, Prejudice and Lovers ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh, no right to FAKE. Boo. So sad and poor. And freakin' busy. Anyway, enjoy. Set in the timeline after (surprise surprise) FAKE in Love Act V. Much love to you all.
 
Dee was smoking again as Jamie walked back to them, ducking under the crime tape and pulling off her gloves. She moved with the hesitant confidence that new people who had weighty responsibilities always had. She licked her lips and pushed back some of her light shoulder length hair.
 
“It looks the same,” she said. “I've collected evidence…necessary evidence, so it's fine for you to come over now.”
 
“Thanks,” Ryo said with a warm smile that Jamie quickly returned.
 
They climbed under the crime tape and began to poke around the scene. The body had been removed, the alley loud with the sounds of the city and the traffic that kept passing by. A couple of Jamie's colleagues were taking pictures and whispering quietly as they watched Ryo and Dee.
 
“Check it out,” Dee said as he brushed a hand over the brick wall. “Bullet holes, just like the other scenes.”
 
“It certainly does seem to be the work of the same killer,” Ryo said. “There are just too many similarities for it not to be. We've got to come up with some motive or connection.”
 
“They were all low life sons of bitches,” Dee said with a shrug.
 
“That includes about fifty percent of the population,” Jamie said sarcastically.
 
Dee chuckled and nodded. “Seventy-five in New York.”
 
“I'm glad to see you both have such faith in humanity,” Ryo said flatly. “Let's get this finished.”
 
 
Jim's eyebrow lifted as Jamie handed him the box of evidence she had collected.
 
“Where's the rest of it?” he said skeptically.
 
“That's it,” she said with a blush.
 
Jim stared down in open surprise and then glanced between Dee and Ryo with open pleasure.
 
“What did you do?”
 
Jamie's blush darkened and she scowled at him.
 
“I'm still learning,” she snapped.
 
“Learn faster,” Jim said with a wave of his hand. “I don't have time to keep running all your mistakes.”
 
Her mouth dropped open and then twisted back into her irritable scowl.
 
“You're such a…”
 
“Such a what?” Jim said with a half-smile. “Come on, tell me.”
 
Jamie's mouth thinned and she crossed her arms.
 
“Well if you'll excuse me I need to check in with my supervisor.”
 
Jim watched her leave and then turned back to Ryo and Dee. Both were staring at him with amused smiles.
 
“What?” he asked.
 
“You like her,” Dee teased.
 
“What?” Jim snapped more harshly.
 
“You're not the only one with an observant nature,” Ryo said with a chuckle.
 
Jim glared at them both and crossed his arms with annoyance.
 
“I don't know what you're talking about.”
 
“Just ask her out already,” Dee said. “Return one of your expensive lab books and take her out to dinner instead.”
 
“Bite me.”
 
 
Jamie was paging through her reports again when Dee and Ryo returned to their office, her shoulders slumped and tired. Ryo set a cup of coffee down in front of her and she smiled gratefully up at him.
 
“Thanks,” she said. “The hours on this job are killing me.”
 
“You get used to it,” Ryo said. “How are things going?”
 
“I think Detective Laytner was right,” she said with a sigh. “I was too enthusiastic. I probably owe Jim an apology.”
 
“Maybe,” Ryo said and shrugged. “You should treat him to a sandwich or something. He practically lives in that lab. He forgets to leave a lot of the time.”
 
“Really?”
 
Ryo nodded and Dee shook his head as he grinned.
 
“Maybe I will take him something up later,” Jamie said. “I've just about got the first report done now. I took out more than half of what was in it originally. Your notes were really helpful.”
 
“Good,” Ryo said as he flipped through some of her revised paperwork. “This looks much more cop friendly.”
 
The phone rang and Dee quickly picked it up.
 
“Detective Laytner, Criminal Investigations,” he listened for a moment and then scowled. “Go to hell you little monkey bitch.”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes and pulled the phone out of Dee's hand.
 
“Hey Bikky, what's going on?”
 
Dee leaned back in his chair and continued to glare irritably at the phone. Ryo's eyes narrowed slightly.
 
“What?” he said angrily.
 
Dee perked up and a small smile curled at the edges of his mouth.
 
“I'm on my way,” Ryo said lowly and even Dee shivered at the coldness in Ryo's tone.
 
“Problem?” Dee asked as nonchalantly as he could.
 
“Bikky's in the principal's office. Again,” Ryo said as he pulled on his jacket. “I have to go and meet with him. Again. You're on your own until I get home, I'd expect us late.”
 
“That's fine,” Dee said. “I want to stop by the orphanage anyway and see Penguin. I'll pick up some dinner on my way back. Sound good?”
 
“Sounds great,” Ryo said and smiled at Jamie. “See you tomorrow Jamie.”
 
“Bye Randy,” she said.
 
“I'll see you tonight,” Ryo said and his hand lightly pressed against Dee's.
 
“Bye,” Dee answered and squeezed Ryo's fingertips.
 
They exchanged a small smile and Dee sighed.
 
“Make sure you tell the Chief you're leaving,” Dee said. “If he comes looking for you, I don't want to have to explain things.”
 
“Alright,” Ryo said and shut the door behind him.
 
A long moment of silence passed as Jamie continued to pick her way through her reports and Dee irritably stared at the clock and willed time to pass faster. Finally, Jamie set aside her papers and stared intently at Dee.
 
“Is he seeing anyone?”
 
Dee couldn't stop laughing.
 
 
“Go jump off a bridge you mother--”
 
“Be careful about the next words out of your mouth, Jake,” Dee warned lowly.
 
The young boy suddenly grinned and threw his arms around Dee.
 
“Dee! Hey! Where ya been man?”
 
“Out,” Dee said. “Is Penguin around?”
 
“Yeah, she's in the church with the nazi nun,” Jake answered. “They're arguing about Tim.”
 
“Tim?” Dee said and frowned. “The kid from down the street?”
 
“Yeah,” Jake shrugged. “He came down here for dinner the other night and Sister Be-a-bitch kicked him out. Said that he had a family of his own so he should be grateful and head back to where he belongs. Too bad that where he belongs is also home to one of the meanest drunks I've ever met. Tim's got a busted arm now. How in the hell is he supposed to play ball like that? We had a game lined up and everything!”
 
“Is he okay?”
 
“He'll heal,” Jake said dismissively. “He's sleeping at Jerry's. Mick and Torry are headed there tonight too. We ain't hanging around this dump anymore if she's gonna keep pulling shit like that. Tim's got a big mouth, but he didn't deserve that.”
 
“Sure,” Dee said distantly. “Thanks Jake.”
 
“You hanging around Dee?”
 
“I don't know. I've got to talk to Penguin and then we'll see.”
 
“Your boyfriend's probably waitin' for ya!”
 
“Get lost,” Dee laughed and Jake grinned at him as he sped off.
 
Dee's laughter died quickly and he walked slowly through the orphanage. She had kicked a child out. That had never happened in all the time that Dee had lived with Mother Maria or since he had moved out. It didn't matter where they came from or what they had, if they were hungry or needed love, she gave it to them. Dee frowned sadly as he paused at the church door and then entered.
 
“That boy had no reason to be here,” Sister Beatrice said lowly, her voice echoing through the small church. “He has a family to take care of him. He's not our responsibility.”
 
“Since when do nuns pick and choose who they will help?” Mother Maria asked. “Tim may have a house that he sleeps at, but it's not a home and it's not a family. He needs our support just as much as the rest of these children.”
 
“Mother?” Dee called softly.
 
She turned to him and her eyes softened.
 
“Dee,” she said and smiled. “How have you been?”
 
“I'm--”
 
“You shouldn't be here,” Sister Beatrice said quietly. “Get out.”
 
Mother and Dee both stared at her in confusion and her eyes flashed angrily as they locked onto Dee.
 
“You're an affront to God and I won't have you here! I won't have sodomites in my church!”
 
Dee flinched back as if she had physically slapped him and Mother's mouth dropped open, one hand flying to it. Sister Beatrice stormed towards Dee and he stumbled back, his eyes wide and filled with surprise and fear as she loomed over him.
 
“You have no place here, no place at all! You are only a detriment to these children and I will not allow you to corrupt them!”
 
“Wh-wh…” Dee couldn't even get the words out as she jammed a finger into his chest.
 
He had heard all of this before. His life had been plagued with yells and insults, beatings and abuse. He had been called `homo' and `queer' and hundreds of other stupid names. He had been kicked in the head and the stomach and had three ribs broken for kissing a boy where someone could see him. He had had people promise to pray for him, been slipped tracts about Jesus and cleansing sin from his soul, and been warned of the fires of hell. He had been through it all, but not here. Not in his home.
 
“You're a disgusting pervert,” Sister Beatrice snapped at him. “And I won't allow you to touch these children with your twisted hands.”
 
We're in a church, Dee thought wildly. This is a church. This is my home. This isn't happening.
 
“Faggot,” Sister Beatrice hissed, her voice barely audible.
 
“Sister!” Mother Maria cried. “I…”
 
Mother panted for breath and clutched at her chest, her eyes blinking rapidly as she dropped to her knees.
 
“I don't feel very well,” she murmured and collapsed to the floor.
 
“Mother!” Dee screamed and shoved Sister Beatrice aside.
 
He knelt down next to her and gently held her hand, carefully cradling her head as he held her close. He ripped the cell phone from his pocket and dialed 9-1-1, his voice shaking almost as much as his hands as he asked for assistance.
 
“She's unconscious,” he said. “But she's breathing.”
 
“Monster,” Sister Beatrice whispered and tried to push him away from Mother.
 
“No,” Dee said, his voice almost frantic. “Stop!”
 
“You shouldn't be here,” Sister Beatrice said lowly. “Look what you've done to her.”
 
Dee blinked and struggled for air. What had she just said?
 
“What?” he murmured and clutched tightly at Mother, time pressing heavily around him as they waited for the ambulance.
 
“You did this,” Sister Beatrice said.