Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act VI, Prejudice and Lovers ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh, no right to FAKE. Boo. So sad and poor. And freakin' busy. Anyway, enjoy. Set in the timeline after (surprise surprise) FAKE in Love Act V. Much love to you all.
 
Dee awoke in the morning to a room filled with warm sunlight and welcome weight. Ryo's head was pillowed on his chest again, his lover's arms wrapped around him, his breathing soft against Dee's skin. Dee smiled, everything filled with a welcome peace. He closed his eyes again as he listened to Ryo's quiet breathing, Ryo's back a pattern of sunlight and shadow across his smooth muscles. Dee loved him so much. How in the hell had he gotten so lucky? He reached out and gently fingered a strand of Ryo's soft hair. Ryo's arms tightened and Dee smiled.
 
“You're awake,” Dee said.
 
Ryo's head turned and he smiled up at Dee.
 
“I have been for a couple of hours,” Ryo said with a laugh.
 
“Why didn't you get up?”
 
“I didn't want to wake you,” Ryo answered and kissed Dee's chest before he lay his head back down against it.
 
It was more than that. I didn't want to leave you. He just wanted to be close to Dee, to stay with him. He sensed that Dee needed that, and he kissed Dee's chest again as he thought.
 
“What about work?” Dee asked.
 
“We're excused for a couple of days,” Ryo said. “I talked to the Chief last night.”
 
“And he gave us time off?” Dee said. “What'd you have to give him?”
 
“A promise that you'd work next Thanksgiving without complaint.”
 
“Great.”
 
“I'm just kidding,” Ryo said. “It didn't cost us anything.”
 
“He's getting soft in his old age,” Dee murmured and glanced at the clock. “Almost eight thirty.”
 
“Mmm-hmm,” Ryo said.
 
“We still have about an hour until visiting hours start at the hospital,” Dee said and gave Ryo one of his wolfish smiles. “You up for an early morning work out?”
 
Ryo chuckled and kissed Dee's chest again.
 
“Is that a pick-up line?” Ryo teased as he licked across one of Dee's nipples.
 
“Maybe,” Dee said as he slid his hands down Ryo's back. “Do you want it to be?”
 
“I think I do,” Ryo said as he drug himself up Dee, both moaning at the warm friction.
 
He leaned down for a kiss and Dee hungrily met him. Their lips parted and Dee began to massage Ryo's smooth ass. Ryo moaned and ground his hips down, both panting as the kiss ended and Ryo leaned down to lick Dee's neck.
 
“Dee,” Ryo whispered happily.
 
Dee smiled and his hands dug in deeper, sliding over smooth soft skin. He drug his finger down across Ryo's tense opening and Ryo rolled his hips as he licked at Dee's neck again. Ryo closed his eyes as Dee's hands slid to his waist and then rolled them over, Dee resting heavily against Ryo. He stared down at Ryo's flushed face, his eyes dark and desirous as he looked up at Dee.
 
“I love you,” Dee said and caressed Ryo's face.
 
“I love you,” Ryo answered, and Dee closed his eyes as he leaned down for a kiss.
 
There was a loud slam and heavy footsteps. Dee paused and he and Ryo exchanged a confused glance.
 
“I don't know if they're here or not,” Bikky's voice echoed to them. “They were supposed to work, but something came up last night.”
 
“You sure this is alright?” another voice asked.
 
“Yeah, it's fine,” Bikky said.
 
There was a quiet knock at their door.
 
“Hey, Dad, you here?”
 
“Yes Bikky,” Ryo said, a hint of disappointment in his voice. “We'll be out in a minute.”
 
“Uh…okay.”
 
Dee's eyebrow cocked and he leaned down and kissed Ryo's neck.
 
“They can wait,” he breathed, but Ryo pushed him back and shook his head.
 
“Not now,” Ryo whispered and gave Dee a coy smile. “I don't want to be quiet.”
 
Dee's eyes widened and his mouth dropped open. Ryo winked at him and then rolled out from under him. Dee's surprised look turned into a pleased smile as his eyes traced over Ryo's body. Ryo pulled on a pair of jeans and a shirt and gave Dee one more kiss.
 
“Come out when you're ready. I'll make some breakfast for us.”
 
“'Kay.”
 
Dee stretched and listened to the shifting sounds in the apartment as Ryo started talking to Bikky and his friends. Ryo laughed suddenly and Dee smiled again. He sighed and finally got up. He slid into his clothes and headed out, scratching at the back of his head as he yawned.
 
“Hey Dee,” Jake said as he looked up from the couch.
 
Dee paused with a small frown as three other boys from the orphanage greeted him.
 
“Morning,” he said cautiously and headed into the kitchen.
 
“What else was I supposed to do?” Bikky said with a shrug.
 
“I know,” Ryo said and sighed. “Hand me the milk.”
 
“Ooo, pancakes,” Dee said as he grinned. “Why do we have so many kids this early in the morning?”
 
“They're leaving the orphanage,” Bikky said. “They're going to try and make it on the street.”
 
Dee leaned against the counter and shook his head.
 
“Why?”
 
“They say they can't live there anymore, that it's too much like a punishment now,” Bikky said. “I told them to come here and get something to eat, that maybe you'd let them stay for a couple of nights?”
 
He glanced between the two of them and Ryo sighed again. Dee's mouth thinned. He knew that Ryo would say yes. Bikky knew that Ryo would say yes. Ryo knew that Ryo would say yes. Dee shook his head and shrugged.
 
“I don't know,” Dee said. “You going to make sure they keep going to school?”
 
“Yeah, sure,” Bikky said eagerly. “I'll make sure they know the rules, I promise.”
 
“What do you think?” Dee said to Ryo.
 
“What else can we do?” Ryo said as he began to flip pancakes with practiced ease.
 
“Thanks,” Bikky said. “Really. Thanks Dad.”
 
“Oh, don't think you're getting out of anything,” Ryo said as he shook his head. “You're grounded flat out. I don't care how many good deeds you do. Two weeks, pal, and don't try and get out of it.”
 
Bikky scowled at the floor.
 
“Alright, alright,” he muttered. “I promise.”
 
 
Dee glared out the car window and then turned around to bellow at the full backseat for the tenth time.
 
“Will you shut up already?” he yelled.
 
“No!” Jake snapped back. “We're talking back here, so just deal with it Dee!”
 
Ryo glanced at Dee from the corner of his eye but kept his silence as he focused on driving. Dee grumbled irritably and lit a cigarette.
 
“You're in a car full of kids!” Bikky howled. “How can you expose us to second hand smoke like that?”
 
Dee's mouth dropped open with an angry comeback but instead he scowled and ground out the cigarette. Ryo chuckled and quickly stared out the windshield as Dee's annoyed gaze fell on him.
 
“We're here!” Ryo said cheerfully. “Try and behave yourselves.”
 
They piled out at the hospital's entrance and headed inside, Ryo pulling away to park the car. The boys bounced around Dee and talked loudly as they headed for Mother's room, the pressure in Dee's head steadily building.
 
“We're in a hospital for God's sake!” he roared finally. “Will you quiet down now?”
 
“What are you yelling at us for?” Bikky shouted back. “Just open the door and let us in to see her!”
 
“You little monkey punk!”
 
“Excuse me,” a doctor walked over to them with a warning glare. “Is something wrong here?”
 
“No,” Dee and Bikky answered quietly.
 
“We're just here to visit,” Jake said politely.
 
“Yes, well,” the doctor sighed. “Please try and keep the noise down.”
 
“Sure,” they murmured back.
 
Dee scowled at the boys again and then opened the door to Mother's room. She was staring at it with an amused smile, soft grey hair floating around her face as she looked at them.
 
“You look weird with hair,” Jake said bluntly.
 
She laughed and held her arms out, the boys rushing forward to hug her. They all started talking at once, even Bikky caught up in it as they asked how she was, when she was coming back, and told her every single tiny thing that had happened since she had left. Dee stood quietly by and watched with a small smile on his face as she so easily gave them the love and attention they needed.
 
“And Ryo made us pancakes!” Torry said. “Real pancakes! I ate five.”
 
“I had seven!” Jake yelled.
 
“Dee ate all the extra ones,” Bikky said and all turned to stare at him.
 
Dee stared blankly back and Mother laughed at the confused look on his face.
 
“Oh my boys,” she said as she pulled them into another hug. “What were you doing at Ryo and Dee's anyway?”
 
A long moment of silence stretched out and the other boys stared at Jake. He fidgeted under their gaze, reluctant to be their spokesman as Mother patiently waited.
 
“We…we aren't staying…at the orphanage anymore,” he murmured finally. “We don't like it there anymore.”
 
Mother stared at them and then pulled them into another hug, her arms somehow surrounding them all. Bikky bit his lip but didn't try and pull away as her soft voice wrapped over them.
 
“Please,” she whispered. “Please stay close. I don't want to lose you boys, not to the streets. I'll be home soon, and we'll make things better. Please just don't leave me.”
 
Ryo stared in from the doorway and his eyes flashed with some distant determination. Mother finally released the boys and smiled at them again, a few tears gathering in her eyes. Dee stared at the floor and was suddenly glad that Ryo had already agreed to let the boys stay with them.
 
“Well I'm surprised,” Ryo said loudly as he entered the room. “I thought for sure that I'd have to break up a fight when I got here. You're a miracle worker Mother.”
 
She laughed and he leaned down and lightly kissed her cheek, the boys parting to let him through. The heavy atmosphere in the room broke and the boys started chattering again.
 
“How are you feeling?” Ryo asked.
 
“Alright,” she said. “A little sore, and bored, but I should get to leave soon. They want to run a few more tests and then I'm back out of here.”
 
“Good to hear,” Ryo said happily.
 
“I'll bet Dee was a terror last night,” Mother said with a sigh.
 
“What?” Dee scowled irritably. “What are you talking about?”
 
“He always takes everything so personally,” Mother said tiredly. “He probably tried to blame himself for my heart attack.”
 
Dee's mouth thinned and he stared up at the ceiling. The boys looked at him with surprise and Jake rolled his eyes.
 
“What an idiot,” he said finally.
 
“What?” Dee snapped and jumped forward. “Who are you calling an idiot you little freak?”
 
“You!” Bikky yelled back. “And he's right, you dumbass!”
 
Mother chuckled quietly.
 
“Out of the mouths of babes,” she said and her eyes locked with Dee's. “You're well past the age when your antics put me at risk of some kind of attack. You're so spoiled.”
 
“I'm spoiled?” Dee said. “Look who's got how many damn visitors here all ready and waiting to do her bidding!”
 
“Oh really?” Mother said with a mischievous grin.
 
The boys' eyes narrowed suspiciously and Mother chuckled.
 
“Well there are a few things that I'd certainly like,” she said happily.
 
Ryo laughed and turned to Dee.
 
“Think you can manage this mob for a while? I've got to check in at the office, so can you take the subway home?”
 
“You're abandoning me with these little hellions?” Dee said almost pouting.
 
“You'll live,” Ryo said. “Goodbye Mother, feel better soon.”
 
“Thank you Ryo, and thanks for taking care of all of them.”
 
He smiled at her and quietly left, her eyes sparking again as they drifted across the boys' faces.
 
“Now let's see, what do I want first…”
 
 
Sister Beatrice glared darkly at the tall figure that stood before her, her eyes narrowed and dark.
 
“I would have thought that Mr. Laytner would have made it clear to you that you're not welcome here.”
 
“We need to talk,” Ryo said.
 
“We have nothing to discuss,” she said. “If you don't leave now, I will call the police and have you removed.”
 
“Where are the children?” Ryo asked softly.
 
She froze and then glared at him again.
 
“They are at school,” she bit out.
 
“Not all of them,” Ryo said. “You're losing these kids, they're leaving here, and they've got no place to go but the street. They come here because they need love and acceptance, not judgment.”
 
“You're telling me how to care for these children?” she said angrily.
 
“I think someone needs to,” Ryo said softly. “They need you Sister, but not as you are. You're hurting them.”
 
“I'm supposed to take this from you?”
 
“I haven't done anything to you,” Ryo said, his voice still quiet.
 
“You don't think so?” she said with a cold laugh. “I know what you are.”
 
Ryo's mouth thinned and he stared at her with open pity.
 
“I was angry when I came here,” he said sadly. “But now…I'm sorry for you Sister.”
 
Her hands clenched into fists, but Ryo simply sighed and walked away. She glared at his back, her mouth a thin line as he stepped back out into the cold. He looked around, his breath a white fog as he stared up at the cloudy sky. He knew that people didn't let go of their hatreds easily, he had seen it before, many times. He wasn't so naïve that he believed that he could make her change her mind, but he couldn't just stand by and do nothing. At the very least he had to say something and try and help the children. It would snow again soon, and get even colder. His eyes became sad and distant and he pulled his coat tighter around his body as he walked to his car.
 
 
“I'm coming!” Dee yelled as the doorbell rang again. “Just wait a minute!”
 
He paused a second longer to yell at the boys to quiet down again and then wrenched the door open. Dee scowled irritably at Berkeley Rose.
 
“What do you want?”
 
Rose's eyebrow arched in amusement and he stepped inside, easily pushing past Dee. Dee frowned and shook his head, his mouth a thin line as Rose looked around.
 
“Ryo's not here,” Dee said flatly. “I thought he was at the office.”
 
“I haven't seen him,” Rose said and a little worry crept into his eyes.
 
Dee's frown shifted and he leaned against the wall. It was never a good sign when Ryo disappeared.
 
“What are you doing here anyway?” Dee said.
 
“I brought over some files that Jamie said Ryo wanted,” he said as he held them up.
 
“Great,” Dee said. “I still get to work.”
 
“Hey! Pervert!” Bikky yelled. “We're hungry!”
 
“So feed yourselves!” Dee snapped back. “You know where the food is!”
 
Bikky scowled at Rose as he led the herd of boys into the kitchen and loud yelling began to echo out. Dee rubbed at his temple and slumped further against the wall.
 
“Your brood seems to have grown,” Rose said flatly.
 
“It's temporary,” Dee growled and snatched the files from Rose's hand. “I'll see you at work.”
 
“Is that the brush off?” Rose asked with a smile.
 
“Good for you, sir,” Dee snapped.
 
The door clicked open and Ryo's smile disappeared as he spotted Rose and Dee talking.
 
“Oh,” he said softly.
 
“Oh indeed,” Dee said lowly. “Where did you go?”
 
“Er…nowhere,” Ryo said and pulled a smile back into place.
 
“You can't lie for shit,” Dee said.
 
Ryo shrugged and headed into the kitchen.
 
“Boys! What are you doing?” he said sharply.
 
“Dee told us to feed ourselves,” Jake answered. “So we are.”
 
“Look at this mess!” Ryo's voice echoed to Dee and Rose. “I hope you know you're cleaning this up! Put that down, you're going to burn yourself. Do it this way, that will keep it from turning into charcoal.”
 
“What if I want it to be charcoal?” one of the boys asked smartly.
 
Ryo laughed. “Then keep doing it how you're doing it. Here, let me help.”
 
Dee felt a small smile slide onto his face and he shook his head as he listened. The noise in the kitchen quieted immediately and the boys began to talk with Ryo. It was amazing how easily Ryo wrangled them in. They laughed suddenly and Dee couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him.
 
“He's good with kids,” Rose said quietly.
 
“Yeah,” Dee agreed.
 
“That explains how he handles you so well,” Rose said flatly.
 
“You're such a dick,” Dee grunted.
 
Ryo's head poked out from the kitchen.
 
“Are you staying for lunch Commissioner?”
 
Dee rolled his eyes. Damn Ryo's politeness.
 
“Yes, thank you,” Rose said warmly. “I think I will.”
 
 
Staying became a decision that Rose quickly regretted. He found himself surrounded by the kids, all reaching over him and grabbing things out of his hands as they wolfed down their food. Ryo seemed to largely ignore the chaos, and Rose suspected that having lived with Laytner and Bikky for so long he was pretty well used to it.
 
“Stop taking food off my plate,” he said sternly and his eyes flashed a warning at the boy next to him.
 
Dee smacked the kid in the back of the head.
 
“What's wrong with you?” he said loudly. “You haven't even finished everything you took and you're already trying to steal from somebody else! There's plenty of damn food so just eat and stop messing around! That goes for the rest of you too!”
 
“What the hell old man!” Bikky roared. “Since when did you get to be in charge!”
 
“Since right now!” Dee yelled. “You wanna go, brat?”
 
“I'll stomp you into the ground you shithead!”
 
“Bikky,” Ryo warned lowly.
 
“Sorry,” Bikky answered. “I'll stomp you into the ground you old geek!”
 
“Yeah right! Anytime, any place!”
 
“Here and now, dumbass!”
 
“What a good meal,” Ryo said flatly and got up. “Make sure all these dishes get washed.”
 
“What?” Bikky said. “We helped cook!”
 
“And now you can help clean up,” Ryo answered.
 
“Dammit.”
 
Ryo's eyes flashed and Bikky sighed.
 
“Sorry,” he said again and started to clear the table. “You wash, we'll dry.”
 
“Fair enough,” Dee said and headed into the kitchen.
 
Rose's eyebrow arched with a little surprise and Ryo returned with a coffee pot and two mugs. He handed one to Rose and then flipped open one of the files that the Commissioner had brought.
 
“I had expected Jamie to bring these over,” Ryo said as he sipped at his coffee. “I wanted to see how her reports were coming.”
 
“She was still busy with them when I checked in,” Rose said and filled his cup. “I volunteered to save her the trip.”
 
“Nothing better to do?” Ryo said skeptically.
 
“Curiosity about the case,” Rose said with a chuckle. “Nothing more. Though seeing Laytner trying to handle five kids was worth the trip.”
 
“Goddammit!” Dee yelled. “For the fifth goddamn time, you can't put something somewhere just because it fits there. Put it where it belongs, dammit!”
 
Ryo smiled and shook his head.
 
“Don't let him fool you,” he said. “He's loving every minute of it.”
 
“It certainly seems that way,” Rose said with a smirk. “Jim has identified a set of fingerprints that match at each of the crime scenes. They belong to Joe Kartol, aka Silencer Joe.”
 
“I wonder what he does,” Ryo muttered sarcastically as he began to read. “What do we know about him?”
 
“Some mob ties, mostly freelance work. We've got no idea who paid him or hired him for this, but it is consistent with his style. He tries to make things look amateurish, it makes it harder to pin it to him.”
 
“Who are we talking about?” Dee said as he came in drying his hands on a towel.
 
“That was a little too quick,” Ryo said skeptically and Dee grinned.
 
“I talked them into finishing for me. Now who are we talking about?”
 
“Joe Kartol,” Rose said.
 
“Silencer Joe?” Dee said with a frown. “I thought he set up operations out in Las Vegas. What's he doing back here?”
 
“Apparently shooting people for money,” Rose answered. “What do you know about him?”
 
“I tried to connect him to a few killings back when I first made detective. There was nothing concrete and we ended up having to release him. The cases got shut down when he made some deal with the feds. He moved out to Nevada after that. I hadn't heard anything about him coming back to town.”
 
“Any ideas on where to look for him?” Rose asked.
 
Dee shrugged. “We could try the places that he used to like, but like I said, it's been a few years. Chances are good he's got new tastes.”
 
“It's worth a look,” Ryo said. “When do you…”
 
His voice faded and he stared at Dee. Dee shrugged again and smiled softly at Ryo.
 
“I'm fine. We can head out tomorrow.”
 
Ryo started to speak but then his mouth thinned and he sighed. He smiled back and nodded.
 
“Alright.”
 
 
“Good morning sir,” Ryo said with a confused frown.
 
Rose smiled at him as he leaned against the car and Dee slid an irritable hand down his face.
 
“What are you doing here?” Dee grumbled.
 
“What do you think?” Rose answered.
 
“Wait! Wait!” Jamie yelled. “Wait for me!”
 
She ran through the parking garage, the three cops watching her with bemused smiles. She knelt down and panted for breath, one hand pressing into the stitch in her side.
 
“I thought I wouldn't make it,” she said between gasps.
 
“You're not going,” Dee said flatly.
 
“What? Wait, this is my investigation too,” she snapped.
 
“This is detective work,” Ryo said gently. “Not CSI. You need to head back to the lab and make sure that we've got an airtight case. Check and double check all your evidence.”
 
Jamie stared at him, a slightly hurt expression on her face and Ryo gave her a small smile.
 
“You have my permission to hover over Jim's shoulder.”
 
She sighed and crossed her arms.
 
“I guess I ran all that way for nothing,” she said tiredly. “Call me if you find anything, and I want a full report about everything.”
 
“You're a little too interested in the grunt side of things to be a CSI,” Dee teased.
 
“If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that,” Jamie said as she brushed a hand through her hair. “Be safe guys.”