Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE In Love: Act XV, Fires and Distance ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: Not Sanami Matoh. Not making any money here. Poor, poor, poor.
 
 
“Stop staring at me,” Diana snapped.
“Sorry,” Drake answered without hesitation. “You want some coffee? There's always a pot of decaf brewing in the break room.”
Diana sighed irritably and nodded, her husband quickly scurrying out of the room. Dee and Ryo watched with open amusement and she shook her head angrily.
“What?”
“Nothing,” Ryo said wisely.
“You're as big as a house,” Dee answered simply.
Fire flashed in her eyes and she grabbed his shirt collar. Dee yelped as she yanked him close, her words bit out between gritted teeth.
“What did you just say?”
“I said you look wonderful,” Dee stuttered, his eyes wide. “Beautiful.”
“He's right,” Ryo said as he flipped open a report. “You're glowing Diana.”
She grinned and released Dee, one hand waving at Ryo dismissively.
“Oh you,” she practically tittered. “You know just what to say to a girl.”
“Just the truth,” Ryo said as Dee scowled and straightened his shirt.
“What's this?” Drake asked as he returned to the room and handed Diana her coffee.
“Oh, the boys were just telling me how good I look,” Diana said happily.
“And you believed them?” Drake said with a frown. “When I say it you never listen.”
“That's because you have to say it,” Diana said with exasperation.
“I don't have to,” Drake said and lightly brushed back her hair. “I say it because I want to.”
Diana blushed slightly and then chuckled softly.
“You're quite the catch, Drake Parker.”
“Luckiest man alive,” he purred as he leaned down to lightly kiss her neck.
“Good God,” Dee muttered.
Ryo chuckled softly and shook his head as Drake cooed over Diana's stomach and then kissed her goodbye. The FBI agent lightly pecked Dee and Ryo's cheeks then slid out of the room. Drake waved goodbye, his smile deserting him as soon as the door shut. He slumped into a chair and shook his head.
“I don't know if I can take four more months of this,” he groaned. “If it's not morning sickness it's mood swings. If it's not mood swings, it's weird food. She sent me out for apples and mayonnaise last night.”
“That's…different,” Dee said with a disgusted frown.
“And God forbid I say anything about it,” Drake muttered. “After all, she's the one who has to carry the kid, what have I got to complain about?”
The silence stretched around them and Ryo quietly shuffled his papers.
“So how'd the doctor's appointment go?” he asked hesitantly.
Drake perked up immediately and started fishing out his wallet.
“Great,” he said happily. “You want to see the latest ultrasound pictures? We've got a tape at home of the baby's heartbeat too. It's amazing, you should hear it.”
“Yeah,” Ryo said with an amused smile. “Maybe next time.”
When Drake finally left Dee shook his head.
“I don't get it,” Dee grumbled. “When I look at those pictures, I just see a gray blob. How in the hell can he expect me to be excited about a furry grey blob?”
“Well, it's his furry grey blob,” Ryo said solemnly. “So just smile and nod.”
“Diana must be damn scary with all those extra hormones,” Dee said thoughtfully. “Jesus Christ the woman was a walking mood swing before all this, I can't imagine what she's like now.”
“I can't wait to tell her you said that.”
“Bastard.”
Ryo chuckled softly and stapled a few sheets together. He handed a folder to Dee and Dee sighed dramatically as he opened it.
“Why in the hell can't we get a good case? It's been interviews and paperwork for the last week. This sucks.”
“Stupid dropping crime rate,” a smooth voice said from the doorway.
Both men glanced up and Jamie Karlisle grinned at them as she entered.
“Hello detectives,” she said warmly.
“Ah, it's my very favorite CSI,” Dee said.
“Compliments like that will help you climb a little higher on my favorite detective list,” she said.
“I'm not at the top already?” Dee teased.
Jamie laughed and handed Ryo a thick report.
“Final analysis on that blood stain from the Robertson case,” she said. “The DA has his own copy, but I thought you'd like to see what he's going into court with.”
“Thanks,” Ryo said. “It's going to be a tough one to testify on.”
“The evidence is solid,” Jamie said with a shrug.
“Typical scientist,” Dee muttered. “You forget that Robertson has the smile of a millionaire and three crying women to back up his alibi.”
Jamie shrugged again and glanced around quickly. Dee frowned and tapped his file on the table beneath him.
“You looking for something?” he asked.
“No,” she said slowly. “I'm supposed to meet with your commissioner, but I don't have the paperwork he wants so…”
She and Dee exchanged grins and Ryo shook his head with exasperation. Jamie smiled and ruffled a hand through the brunette locks.
“Not everyone can be as on the ball as you, Detective MacLean,” she said and then gave Dee a little wink. “That's why he's at the top of my list.”
“Ryo's at the top of everyone's list,” Dee scoffed, ignoring the pink that flashed in his partner's cheeks and the annoyed look that followed. “He can't help himself.”
“Laytner, MacLean!”
Chief Smith's bulk filled the doorway and he glared into the room with a blistering scowl.
“Get downtown,” he growled. “We've got an explosion. Adams and Parker are on scene. We've already had a confirmed report of arson.”
Dee's mouth thinned and Ryo gathered up their strewn paperwork.
“I'll grab my kit,” Jamie said and breezed out the door.
Smith stared after her and then his eyes flashed back to the detectives.
“Be careful on this,” he said gruffly. “Something doesn't feel right about this.”
Dee and Ryo exchanged a quick glance. Smith had no love for arsonists, but neither one was about to chalk up his hesitance to squeamishness. If he said something was wrong, something was damn well wrong.
Dee lightly squeezed Ryo's shoulder as they headed down to the car.
 
“Jesus Christ,” Dee murmured.
It was impossible to tell what the building had once been. Judging by the hulks that surrounded the ruins, it had been on its last legs anyway, but now it was nothing but a pile of rubble. A few firemen were still pacing the scene, helmets flipped back and jackets open as they kicked through the ashes. Smoke flickered ominously from one corner and Dee heard someone curse before a flash of pressurized chemicals doused it.
“Over here,” JJ called, waving one hand.
Dee and Ryo flashed their badges at the cop monitoring the perimeter, Jamie fumbling with her kit a little before the cop took the box from her hands to let her find her ID. JJ and Drake waited patiently, the man standing between them covered in soot and smoking a grimy cigarette. He sighed slightly as his eyes flickered over the building and then back to the cops.
“I was just telling your friends here that this is definitely arson,” the firefighter said tiredly. “The damn thing was rigged to burn, and I mean for a long time. Whoever set this up scattered fuel and incendiary devices throughout the place to make sure this fire didn't go out. The place was set to be torn down next week, and everyone's sending a prayer upwards that our guy keeps hitting deserted buildings like this. The place went up like a torch. We were lucky that we managed to contain it as well as we did. If it would have leapt to any of these other buildings…”
He shook his head tiredly and Ryo quickly began to take notes.
“Any guesses on what was used?” Dee asked.
“Shit,” the firefighter said. “You name it, it was in there. I'm sure you'll get the official report when our investigator's done. He'll list every damn chemical he finds there. He's working on the south end now.”
The man's chin jerked towards a squat figure scrambling over a crumbled wall and Dee glanced back at Jamie.
“That's where you come in,” he said. “Play nice. He knows more about this than you so listen to what he tells you.”
“Idiot,” Jamie muttered and quickly disappeared.
“How come you guys get the nice looking ones?” the firefighter asked as he watched Jamie introduce herself and immediately dive into work. “Our guy looks like he rolled off a ham truck.”
“We're lucky that way,” Drake said. “You got anything else for us?”
“Nope,” the man said and took another long drag on his cigarette. “I'm going to go home and sleep for a week. I'll cc you a copy of my report. See ya.”
“Thanks,” JJ said and sighed heavily as the man retreated. “Well he was no help.”
“What do you want him to say?” Dee asked as he lit a cigarette of his own. “They found a man hanging around the scene with a lighter and a guilty look on his face? It's their job to put the fires out, it's ours to find out who set them.”
“Yeah,” Drake said. “You ever notice how many firefighters smoke?”
“They get used to having all that shit in their lungs,” Dee muttered. “How do you want to run this?”
“You guys take the building on the right and we'll take the one on the left,” JJ said. “We can meet up afterwards and discuss what we found. And how in the hell did you manage to get a CSI out here already?”
“We're just lucky that way,” Dee said coyly.
 
“Well I had an old lady who swore that she saw a little girl playing with matches on the sidewalk just before the blaze started,” JJ said grumpily. “That's about the solidest lead I got.”
“It beats me,” Drake said tiredly. “Half the people I talked to looked surprised that there had been a fire.”
“It's the neighborhood,” Ryo sighed. “You don't see anything here.”
“Funny,” Dee said as he lit another cigarette. “I didn't have any trouble.”
“Why should we be surprised by that?” JJ said as he threw his hands up in the air. “What'd you get?”
“Early twenties, light brown hair, lots of jewelry,” Dee read from his notebook. “Was spotted entering the building several times over the last week when the team setting up for the demolition weren't present. A little over five feet and usually wearing a stocking cap. I've got three people who can confirm the sightings.”
Dee flipped his notebook closed with a little triumphant flourish and Ryo shook his head.
“Let's get back to work.”
 
“You finding anything?” Dee asked.
Ryo's eyes didn't shift from the glowing computer screen as he shook his head. The dark framed glasses were in place and Dee spared himself a moment to smile and happily fantasize about his partner. Then he pushed those thoughts aside and turned back to the insurance policy in front of him. They had hoped that there would be some obvious sign for the arson, but the insurance policy covering the building's previous owners had expired and the city now owned the property. So that was a waste of time.
Dee sighed and pulled himself to his feet, his hand sliding up through his hair as he slid around to stand behind Ryo. He leaned in close, letting his senses cloud with Ryo's wonderful presence before he snapped clear to read the files on the screen.
“Exciting,” Dee muttered.
Ryo shrugged.
“It seemed like a good place to start,” Ryo said. “But there's not much to these tenant records. A couple of B and E's, two domestics, and a case of neglect. Nothing major and no real information.”
Dee nodded and sighed loudly over Ryo's neck. Ryo shivered and raised one hand to brush over the skin. He shot Dee a slightly annoyed look and Dee smiled back at him. Ryo's eyes narrowed.
“What?” he asked lowly.
“Well,” Dee said slowly. “I was just wondering if I need to worry about you being on this case.”
Ryo's frown darkened.
“What do you mean?”
Dee's smile became wickedly devious.
“You still got a thing for firemen?”
A strangled cry of irritation and laughter escaped Ryo as he shoved Dee back. Dee chuckled and clicked his tongue.
“What did I tell you about violence?” he chided solemnly.
Ryo paused as if thinking it over and then gave Dee a coy smile.
“Not outside of the bedroom?”
Dee felt heat surge through him and he blinked in surprise. He shook his head then and smiled. He bit the top of Ryo's ear and headed back to his own desk.
“You're lucky we're at work.”
“Oh?” Ryo answered as his fingers slid back over the keys.
“Very lucky,” Dee said and then gave Ryo a confident smirk. “But you can't stay here forever.”
He was rewarded with a pleasant blush and turned back to the information on his desk with a significantly bolstered attitude. Leave it Ryo to mess up his mind and then clear it completely. There was a sharp rap at their door and Dee scowled.
“The prick's here,” Dee grumbled.
Ryo rolled his eyes. “Come in.”
Rose stepped inside and his eyes darted between them just as they always did. He was dressed in the same impeccable nature he always favored, everything pressed and straightened into perfect place.
“Hello Detectives,” he said in his warm voice.
Dee's eyes narrowed immediately.
“What do you want?”
Rose's mouth thinned and he shot Dee an annoyed look.
“Just what is that supposed to mean?”
“It means that the only time you're polite is when you want something,” Dee said. “You're a very predictable bastard.”
Rose's eye twitched slightly and he pulled two thick envelopes from under his arm.
“I brought you something,” he said flatly and held one out to each of them. “They're your invitations for the policeman's ball.”
Dee groaned and Ryo slumped in his chair.
“Come on,” Dee moaned. “Haven't they gotten rid of that stupid thing yet?”
“No,” Rose snapped. “It's an important fundraising event for the department and this year the two of you are going.”
“Shit,” Dee grumbled and then perked up. “What if we can't make it? You know, lots of cases and all. Anything could come up.”
“Yes sir,” Ryo said as he held his hands out in front of him. “We can't control everything.”
“Nothing will come up,” Rose snapped. “Not this year and I mean that. I don't care what you have to do, you had better be there.”
His eyes narrowed menacingly.
“Or else.”
Even Dee frowned at the fire in Rose's glare.
“Yes sir,” Ryo said with open resignation as he took the envelopes. “We'll be there.”
Rose's eyes softened and he nodded.
“Good. Now about your arson case. The lab finished the reports and Jim asked me if I'd drop them off for you.”
“What were you doing in the lab?” Dee asked with a frown as he took the paperwork.
“Looking for that annoying CSI Karlisle,” Rose grumbled. “I am going to track her down. She owes me paperwork.”
Dee snorted laughter and Rose shook his head tiredly.
“Laytner, you're just lucky you have a partner that takes care of things like that or I'd have to see a lot more of you,” Rose frowned. “And that's something neither of us wants.”
Dee's eyes locked with Ryo's.
“I have never been more grateful to be your partner than I am right now.”
Ryo laughed and shook his head as he opened one of the invitations. He frowned and glanced up at Rose.
“This looks to be a bit more upscale than the last couple of Balls have been.”
Rose shrugged.
“You have to spend money to make money,” he said. “We're trying to entice some new contributors to increase our funding.”
“And why exactly do we need to be there?” Dee asked as he fingered his own envelope.
“Because the two of you have been in the papers and you're reasonably charming good looking men,” Rose answered.
“Ahh,” Dee said as he nodded. “Whores.”
Rose stared at him angrily and then suddenly shook his head and laughed.
“Oh no. You're not getting out of this,” he said with a shark like smile. “I don't care what you try or what you say to me.”
“You don't care?” Dee asked blandly.
“Not a damn bit.”
“Care to test that theory?” Dee said as he grinned devilishly.
“Good God,” Ryo muttered.
“Give me your best shot you irritating asshole,” Rose challenged.
Dee's smile became razor sharp.
“Oh really?” he said. “Well, sir, I've wanted to tell you this for a long time--”
The door slammed open and Jamie backed nervously inside, her head swiveling as she scanned the hallway.
“Guys, I've gotta hang out here for a few minutes. JJ told me your commissioner is stalking the halls and I've--”
She turned around and her jaw dropped. Ryo blinked and then burst out laughing, Dee biting back on a few chuckles of his own. Rose stared at Jamie through narrowed eyes and she gave him her most winning smile.
“Commissioner Rose,” she managed weakly. “I finally found you. I've been looking for you everywhere.”
Rose's mouth thinned and he shook his head.
“How nice to finally corner you,” he said lowly. “Excuse us detectives, we'll be finishing this in my office.”
Jamie shot Ryo and Dee one last pleading look before Rose forced her out into the hallway. Dee smiled and shook his head.
“That poor girl.”