Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE In Love: Act XVIII, A Nice Buzz ❯ The Baby ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Timeline: After the last Act. Guess what? I don't own FAKE.
 
“Drake…Drake…”
Drake Parker rolled up tighter in the blankets. He'd been working nights lately and he felt like he had only just climbed into bed. For the love of God his feet were still cold, it couldn't be time to get up yet.
“Drake, it's time.”
The sleep fog in his brain parted immediately and he found himself surprisingly alert. He sat up, Diana staring at him from the foot of the bed, her face set and eyes flashing with excitement. He nodded and flipped back the blankets.
There was none of that comical scrambling around. He was an NYPD officer and she was an FBI agent, and they carried out the trip to the hospital like the well planned mission it was. Her bag was packed, his keys were in his pocket, the apartment door was locked, and the car started right up.
As they drove Drake couldn't help but smile at her, his lovely wife absently running her fingers up and down her stomach as the city slid by. It was time. He hoped she was right, they'd rushed to the hospital like this twice before, and both times it had turned out to be nothing. His eyes slid back to her; it was time.
 
In the old days, the father did not go into the delivery room. The father remained in the hallway and worried and passed out cigars and waited to hear any news. Drake half way envied and half way pitied those bastards.
As luck would have it, they just made it. Apparently Diana had wanted to be damn sure this time, so she'd held off waking Drake until it was almost too late. They were practically rushed into the delivery room, not even time enough to call the relatives and let them know it was happening. Instead Drake found himself coated in those damn paper gowns that hospitals insisted prevented the spread of germs and clinging to Diana's hand.
She was covered in sweat, her face set with concentration and hair hanging messily around her face. He squeezed her hand and gave her a reassuring smile.
“You can do this,” he said softly.
She laughed shakily as another contraction passed.
“You get to do the next one.”
He leaned forward and pressed a light kiss to her forehead, her mouth a thin line as another wave of pain passed through her body.
“Breathe, baby,” he whispered. “Come on.”
“Aren't I supposed to tell you how much I hate you for doing this to me, now?” she gritted out.
“If you want to,” he answered.
“Get worked up, you bastard,” she snapped at him. “We're having a baby! Be excited!”
He grinned then and kissed her again.
“I am,” he answered happily. “I am.”
 
Seven and a half hours. It passed in a daze for Drake, the world only clearing when he heard that soft little voice suddenly start to scream. Diana practically collapsed against him, her eyes half-lidded and exhausted now as she panted for breath. They listened, holding tightly to each other as the little baby continued to scream.
“Get used to hearing that,” Drake chuckled softly and kissed her forehead again.
“You too,” she murmured in answer.
The nurse returned with the baby, the doctor smiling and absently filling in the last of Diana's paperwork.
“Congratulations,” she said as the baby was gently lowered into Diana's arms. “It's a girl.”
“A girl,” Diana almost sobbed. “We have a little girl.”
Drake couldn't stop smiling.
 
“There's the proud poppa!”
Drake looked up from the little window and smiled as Dee and Ryo waved to him from down the hallway. Both were loaded down with flowers, balloons, and smiles.
“So?” Dee asked.
“A girl,” Drake said happily. “Amanda Rose. Look at her, there.”
He pointed back through the glass to the tiny baby curled up in her little bed. Drake's face softened as he looked at her, and he knew he'd spend the rest of his life protecting his little girl. Nothing was going to hurt her, he'd see to it.
“She's beautiful,” Ryo said. “Congratulations.”
“Thanks.”
 
It wasn't easy. Mandy seemed to like to cry, and she seemed to have a sixth sense about just when to do it. As soon as mom and dad were settled into bed, away she'd go. Drake sighed and climbed out from under the blankets.
“Sleep, sleep,” he said groggily. “I've got her.”
He padded through the room to the little crib and lifted up his girl, a smile breaking out over his face immediately. She was so warm and soft, and he could practically feel her heartbeat running through her whole body. He carried her out into the living room, the cries slowly dying off as he murmured over her and rocked her close. He sat down into his old recliner, the one Diana had been threatening to throw away since they had met, and began to slowly rock back and forth.
He felt her snuggle in closer, tiny hands curling and flexing against his shoulder as her breath tickled over him. Drake smiled and closed his eyes, the night pooling warmly around him. He heard Diana shift restlessly in bed and he knew she was resisting the urge to come and check on them. He chuckled softly and turned to lightly kiss Mandy on the top of her shaggy little head.
“Mommy's a little over protective,” Drake mumbled. “Wear her out more so I can have you all to myself tomorrow night.”
Mandy sighed in answer. Drake smiled again. He loved his girls.
 
“Drake…Drake…”
Drake wrinkled his nose and sighed heavily.
“What?” he muttered.
“You need to wake up and get ready for work. Give me, Mandy.”
“Baby thief,” he mumbled.
“Yes,” Diana chuckled. “Now hand her over.”
He reluctantly released the little bundle, Mandy sleepily cuddling up to her mom now as Drake ran a hand over his face.
“She likes my chair,” he said over a loud yawn.
“Oh dear God,” Diana moaned. “What if she has your tastes?”
“Don't listen to her Mandy; your dad's got great taste.”
“Only in women,” Diana said. “Get up and get moving. You're going to be late.”
“They'll forgive me. I've got a new baby. I just have to flash around a couple pictures of the munchkin and they forget to yell.”
“See Mandy?” Diana told the little girl in her arms. “That's the difference between NYPD and FBI. FBI is focused, NYPD is easily distracted.”
“Don't you start poisoning my daughter against cops,” Drake warned playfully.
“Hurry up and get moving.”
“Yeah, yeah,” he muttered and then frowned. “Maybe I should be sick today.”
 
“How's the sweet pea?”
“Fine. You've called four times today, Drake.”
“I miss her,” he said and then laughed. “And you too, don't get in a huff.”
“Get to work.”
Drake hung up with a small chuckle and turned back to his desk. In that moment it hit him. When he had made detective and earned himself an actual permanent placement, he'd kept it clean and impersonal. For years he'd labored without a thought for how empty it really looked. But not now.
Now his desk was covered in pictures of his little family. Him and Mandy, Mandy alone, Diana and Mandy, the three of them…
Drake smiled absently and shifted the pictures so they could all smile up at him. He could definitely get used to this `dad' thing.
 
Geh. Such saccrine sweetness. Such fluff. So adorable! Thanks to everyone who was curious about Drake and Diana together. Maybe something else about their relationship will be forthcoming…maybe not.