Fake Fan Fiction ❯ In Trusting Eyes ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The call that Ryo waited for, did not come. So on that Monday, life was forced to resume, everything seeming as though it was completely normal. Dee could not help feel confused, because he was the only one's whose world had stoppepd for Ryo. The rest of the world kept on going. Ryo promised Dee that he was well enough to work, but it was hard for Dee to let Ryo go.

Ryo wasn't one to take the easy route out of his feelings. If it had been someone elses problems, Dee figured they would be disabled from real life, crying and drowning out their sorrows Not Ryo though, he would see his pain through. Maybe his way was best.

Ryo had begged him, before they had arrived, not to tell anyone about his problems. "I mean," Ryo said lightly. "I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm looking for normalcy, and a bit of relief from waiting. Don't make it worse, please." So of course Dee had obeyed him, but it did not make it any easier for him.

The moment they entered the office building of the 27th precint, they were swamped with a brand new case. They opened the door, and Ted slowly strode towards them. "Glad you're both back guys," the red-haired man said quickly, stopping abrubtly and thrusting a file into Ryo's hands. "Commissioner Rose sent in this order, for you two to haul over to this place, and check an old abandoned warehouse. We think it may be the methamphetamine lab Drake's been writing up files on. Drake and JJ are already down there, with squads of backup and clearing equiptment, but they can't move in without the two of you. This situation's going to get out of hand fast, and they're waiting. Hurry up okay?"

Dee nodded slightly, motioning for the man to walk past them. "You up for it?" he asked Ryo gently, his hand brushing up against his partner's.

The other man nodded, but Dee could feel the tremor course through him. He was nervous, and emotionally a total wreck. He was not doing well, as much as his cheerful face denied that. "I'll be right here," Dee mumbled into Ryo's ear, holding onto his hand gently. "I can handle everything. I'll make sure it's not too much for you..."

The wearhouse was not very far from the office building of the 27th precint. Dee was actually somewhat surprised by the closeness. They did not have to be right next to a drug lab to feel the danger. He nodded, looking at the shabby place over the car's dashboard. "Why is it always an abandoned warehouse?" Dee mumbled, jokingly. Ryo turned back and nodded, as he stepped out of the car.

"This feels like a cheezy drug ring movie," Ryo snickered, resting a hand on the gun that sat at his side. He felt anxious, jumpy almost. He realized suddenly that he was probably not fit for this type of assignment, but sucked in a deep breath of air and continued to the front, where they met their collegues. Being within a hundred miles of one of these labs was a potential danger, with things like toxic gases, explosions and fires to worry about. It was a dangerous case for someone with a lot on his mind. 'I just hope Dee has a clear enough mind for the both of us,' he thought.

"Hey," Dee said quickly, looking at the two Detectives who were staring at the enterance to the building. "What's going down?"

Drake Parker turned around, and nodded slightly, seemingly satisfied to see them there at last. "Hey, glad you guys made it," he said quickly. "Some of the characters coming in and out of this wearhouse, make it almost impossible to believe that it isn't a narcotics lab. JJ and I have been chasing after a major producer, and this may be the end of his run."

"You guys okay?" JJ asked, staring especially at Ryo. Ryo cursed the younger Detective's sensitivity, but it really didn't matter. He needed his senses clear, and could think of nothing else but the mission at hand.

"Oh yeah, we're fine," Ryo said quickly. "This is a tense situation of course."

"Let's get this one over with boys," Dee said, his determination rising, when he saw the frustration and worry in Ryo's voice. He grinned slyly. "Let's not let these guys know what hit them. No more formalities."

"Agreed," JJ said, nodding. "Bust then?"

"Yeah," Dee said, looking to Drake and Ryo who both nodded. This area was bad as it could be expected. Ryo couldn't help but notice signs of the poor area, as they headed towards the door. JJ and Ryo stayed near the rear, JJ prepared for an emergency shot, if the other's came in the need of protection. The backup was standing around the room, with preparations ready for explosives, firearms, and most of all toxics. Busting a drug operation was one of the most dangerous jobs these Detectives knew of.

Dee broke down the door, cracking at the rusty bolt quickly. "NYPD."

The arrests were quick. There were about ten sleazy looking men in the room, all pouring themselves over some type of chemical production and talking loudly. They were all highly intoxicated, and reached for weapons the moment the officers bust in. Yet ten to about fifty men on the force was not a match up. Even though they were on the drugs, they were quickly taken down. They were a messy group who had not been expecting intrustions. In the few drug busts in his life, Ryo knew this for a fact - drug producers were too confident.

"Told you this would be over quickly," Dee said comfortingly, as he and Ryo scanned the grounds, while Drake and JJ went to oversee the confiscation of drugs and the chemicals used to make them, and the operations of destroying the site. "It wasn't too hard."

"You were right Dee," Ryo replied, smiling slightly. "I guess it wasn't so stressful after all... Let's get out of here before toxic fumes become our problem. Hold on!"

"What?" Dee asked, but before Ryo could reply, Dee knew what was going on. In front of them lay several mangled bodies. The bodies were mostly of frail men, in their mid twenties. They were all addicts, murdered brutally. Dee groaned, annoyed, and Ryo simply backed away, and stared at the corner wall.

Dee came running within seconds. "You okay Ryo?" he asked, running a hand through his own hair nervously. He placed a hand on his lover's back protectively. "Ryo?"

"I'm all right Dee," Ryo replied, his breath hard. "It's just that the stress - I guess it's getting to me. I wasn't ready to come back. You know I'm not so sensitive to ... seeing things ... but today it just packs on too much. I'll be all right, it's just too much intensity. These guys..."

Now officers packed around them, and gawked at the dead body. "I'll put in a call to the coroner, to get this out of here," JJ whispered softly at Dee. He knew something was wrong with Ryo, but he was respectful and got out of there way. "I didn't expect to find dead people in here. We'll get 'em out before we destroy the drugs." The young man kept an eye on Ryo, who looked in danger of getting sick.

"Thanks. He'll be all right," Dee promised, holding onto Ryo. "He's just ... don't worry about it."

Ryo felt pain in his stomach and focused intently on Dee's arm around his shoulder. He didn't know why the dead men made him so ill. It was just the dead bodies, covered with bruises and lacerations, were to much to see right now. He could barely speak, or even see again... until he was back in the office building, with Dee holding him close to his body. Dee's warmth was comforting, and settled the sickness.

"I'm so sorry Dee," Ryo mumbled into Dee's chest. "Sorry for being weak like that... but seeing those bodies, shocked me a bit. It has nothing to do with- with what happened, but it... it does somehow."

"It's okay," Dee said, his smile brightly reflecting in his eyes. "Really it is. I think maybe you should just stay home, until the stress - and the pain, lessen a bit. I don't want to see you feeling this way here, Ryo."

"I know Dee..."

"No you don't," Dee admitted, a sudden darkness dropping into his features. "Don't scare me okay... I want you to feel good. You need to let the feelings push themselves backwards, and that can take some time. I don't want to see you hurting baby. Especially not when your life is at risk."

"I know Dee..."

"Stop saying that," Dee whispered soothingly, holding the side Ryo's face. "Sit down, relax. We've got some paperwork and I'll handle it. I'll drive you home after our shift, and... and then you can..."

Ryo sit down and Dee found himself lost for words. So he started sifting through case files, putting them away in the drawer. Ten minutes later, a very disgruntled, angry looking Cheif Smith entered their office with a crashing noise.
Both men looked up alarmed.

"MACLEAN!" the man shouted, making Ryo jump and Dee cringe. He threw a sheet of notepad paper towards Ryo. On it was a scrawled name and telephone number. "SOMEONE CALLED YOU! Said it was an emergency in your family and you need to call her! MAKE IT QUICK BEFORE I DECIDE IT'S NOT IMPORTANT!"

The cheif turned, and slammed the door behind him. Ryo looked at the notebook paper, and Dee could have sworn then that he turned absolutely white. "Dee... it's Evelen," he mumbled, nodding slightly to confirm Dee's suspicious glance.

Dee nodded, knowing that he had to take this moment, even if he was unprepared for it. Ryo needed this information to get through this time still remaining strong. "I'll leave..." he whispered, walking towards the door.

"Stay." Ryo's mumbled reply was barely a whisper, but Dee heard it. He wordlessly, faithfully crossed the room, sitting down in a chair next to where Ryo was mounted by the telephone. Dee took Ryo's left hand, and gripped it tightly.

Ryo's hands trembled, as he tried to punch the correct telephone number. The ringing taunted his ears, making him feel nausious. His stomach twisted when the ringing ceased to the slow speaking voice of an older woman he loved. He cringed but listened.

"Hello?" the voice said slowly.

"Evelen, it's me- Ryo," he said slowly, his mouth dry and trying to form correct sounding words. Suddenly, the woman on the other end of the telephone line burst into tears. If he could... Ryo would have been there consoling her. Here he had so little power over what was happening.

"Shh Evelen," Ryo said calmly. "It's okay..."

"I'm sorry dear," replied the somewhat frail voice. "It's just so nice to hear your voice Ryo. A friendly word for poor Elena, and her lovely husband is hard to come by in this place. I know it has only- only been a few days- but your hideous family members!"

"I know, Nevan told me about them Evelen."

"That man is wicked!" she groaned softly. "Ryo love, he's been taunting dear Arianne about her parents dying! I know our beloved Rick and Elena dying is tragic, and a pain we will never forget about - but we must keep Ari out of their hands. You are in Evelen's will as her guardian. She needs you so much, child. And quickly!"

Ryo felt tears tease the corner's of his eyes. His stomach cramped at the idea of such a delicate looking little girl being taunted about something grown men didn't even understand well. "Evie, what can I do?" he groaned, actual tears falling.

"Fly upstate as soon as possible!" yelled the voice. "It's a two hour flight from New York City, to get here to upstate New York. Nevan wasn't even polite enough to tell you -- I suppose. That Elena's will is being taken care of now and you are listed as the man with custody of her daughter. You should be Ari's guardian. We must do this."

Ryo could not surpress the gasp that escaped his lips. He gripped Dee's hand, squeezing it firmly. "Nevan said that he didn't know if Ari was alive or not... he was being really sarcastic."

"Damn him," she whispered, sobbing. " He's only been here to ruin your happiness! I wish him nothing but the worse! You know his only mission, alone with those witches in your family, was to bring pain to good people like you, Elena and your father. It must hurt you to have lost them..."

'Yes Evie it hurts," Ryo admitted, hiding his eyes away from Dee who stared down him intently. "Only good people like them could meet such a fate. It seems that only good people are punished with death." He felt Dee holding his hand, and breathed deeply.

"Ryo I wish I could help you."

"I know. I'll be upstate by tomorrow evening," he said quickly, his heart hurting more and more with each passing moment. Finally, once he hung up the phone, he let an anguished sob exit his body, and it felt very good. He turned to Dee ,and forced the dark haired man to let go of his hand. "I'm gonna go home," he whispered, taking control of himself. Dee was right, he didn't need to be at work on the verge of a mental breakdown. He needed to go home and rest, because he would be having a huge stressful trip coming up in his life. He needed to go home and think.

To be completely honest, the prospect of raising a baby girl was terrifying. She was only three, and he was not one to take on such responsibility. He was a busy man, with a lot of priorities in his life. His own adopted son Bikky, Dee, his job... in all it was his life and Arianne would get in that way.

But as Dee had said, he would have to think one obstacle at a time.

- - -

Dee finally agreed to remain at the office, with four more hours still on his shift. Ryo promised he would drive home and be all right. Plus Dee did have a lot of things to file, and a report to write up on his account of the days incident. So he did what he was supposed to do. Yet it only took about anf hour for him to get a call from Bikky on his cell phone.

"What is it?" Dee asked, his heart beating loudly, knowing exactly what it was. "What's wrong?"

"He just came home," Bikky said quietly, whispering most likely so Ryo could not hear what he was saying. "He's crying, and just going on and on about responsibilities. He told me to go somewhere, and then locked himself in the room. I can hear him crying and talking through the door."

"Calm down," Dee said, though the idea of Ryo having a breakdown without him was harsh. "I'll hurry home as quickly as is possible. Don't disturb him. In fact why don't you leave? It might be better for him if you weren't there to make him feel more- responsible for anything.

"What happened?" Bikky asked, then stopped as if he were pondering Dee's last words. .

"I'll explain to you tonight," Dee said, genuinely worried about Bikky. "Really, if anything awful goes down I'll let you know."

"Thanks," Bikky said, hanging up. "I appreciate it."

--------