Fake Fan Fiction ❯ In Trusting Eyes ❯ Chapter 4

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Summary: Ryo visits his uncle's estate.

----------

Dee rushed home in an utter panic. He had tried his hardest, to get through the day's routine quickly, but it had been hard. He was just fortunate, that their had been no emergencies in the district, to keep him from getting home to where Ryo needed him. He felt guilty enough, staying at work when he should have been home.

He found Bikky and Cal sitting on the front porch of Ryo's place. The young girl was holding the boy's hand, leaning against him. It was obvious from the way Bikky looked, that he was terrified for Ryo. Dee noted proudly, that Ryo had really been quite the father to Bikky for all of these years. Ryo was a father by nature. Yet from what he had heard... Ryo might end up becoming the adoptive father of another child, and that was too much of a responsibility.

Inwardly, he knew that Ryo would do anything to give his guardian's child a chance to have a great life, even without biological parents. After all, they had given Ryo that when tragedy had taken away -his- parents. Yet he did not want his lover to throw away the life he'd made, all for a child. And that was what he'd be doing. Dee did feel an extreme fear involving the future, but he forced himself to think only about Ryo now, and how he was feeling.

"He's inside, still locked in his room," Bikky said quickly, eying Dee nervously.

"All right," he said quietly, staring at the door apprehensively. He wondered how Ryo was doing, all alone in there, as he must have been for four hours. "I'll go see how he is," he mumbled with a slightly parental sound to his voice. Before he made it all the way to the door, the teenaged girl had approached him from behind.

"Bikky's really shaken up," she told him quietly, Bikky sitting as though he barely noticed. "I'll do my best for him, to help you guys, but you have to help Ryo. It's too much for Bikky to see his dad acting that way."

"I'll do my best," Dee said softly, only echoing the girl's words. But he knew that he might be able to do little in the case now. Dying wasn't forever effecting the lives of the living, but being a parent was. Ryo would suffer over Arianne for a long time. It was deeper now. "Can you take Bikky home with you for the night? I'll call your aunt to tell her what happened at home."

"Sure," she replied, oddly bright.

"Behave... or not..." he mumbled as an afterthought. He just wanted to make things go well for these kids. They were young and innocent, and deserved fun, not death. They didn't have to deal with painful situations, because of their youth. He wasn't going to see two teens taking on adult- like burdens. Let kids be kids, he thought laughing to himself.

The entire place was dark. Not one single light shone in the house, except for the sliver of light creeping from beneath Ryo's bedroom door. Dee walked towards it, his eyes dropping to the crack of light. "Can I come in?" he asked softly.

"Yes," he heard Ryo's voice reply, soft and dry. He sounded as though he was exhausted, and Dee felt like pounding the door down just to get to him. Luckily, it wafted open when he turned the doornob. Ryo had the sense not to lock himself in at least.

Ryo was sitting at the backboard of his bed, leaned up against it, covered in a blanket. His face was red, and streaked with tears. His nose was bright red and the waste bin beneath the bed was filled to the brim with tissues. He had been having emotional thoughts for the last hours.

Wordlessly, Dee crawled onto the bed, and leaned against the headboard himself, pulling Ryo into his arms. Dee's arms around his thin shoulders, Ryo's chest heaved in a dry sob. He had hours ago ran out of tears to cry in grief, or worry. His head dropped against slightly taller Dee's chest, and Dee now held him close. This felt good, almost like a bit of relief. "H... How did the day... go?" Ryo said, barely able to speak.

"Normal - awful," Dee mumbled, rocking Ryo in his arms. He didn't bother to ask how Ryo was ... or even why he'd been crying. It didn't matter. He didn't even bother to say that Ryo had left him hanging there, being afraid of making his lover feel guilty. Ryo blinked several times, still adjusting to not having tears left in him.

"Was the case the man Drake was looking for?" Ryo mumbled, falling lower, to where he was lying on top of Dee. "Did it all work out?"

"Yeah it did," Dee muttered, not knowing too much of what to say. "How are you holding up Ryo? It's not your fault really- but the kids are terrified."

"They're kids, they should not have to deal with things like this," Ryo muttered, running a hand through his hair. "I can't believe I scared them." Dee laughed to himself, upon hearing Ryo echo his thoughts from only moments before. They were so alike sometimes.

"Don't worry, I sent Bikky out for tonight. I figured that you didn't want him around right now."

"Thanks Dee," Ryo mumbled, looking down. "I absolutely don't want to hurt anyone!"

"I understand. I completely understand."

Yet then, something changed in Ryo's face. His dark eyes seemed a bit fogged, as if he were thinking really hard, looking back on something. Ryo then looked angry. "No, Dee you don't understand," he whispered, his voice rising with each word. "You couldn't ever understand me right now! You don't know how it feels to be the guardian of a two and a half year old child! You never had to realize that your family member was at the hands of - of those people in my family! You don't understand how awful they are. My dad and his sister were the exceptions, but everyone else is evil, caring for nobody but themselves! You couldn't understand how terrible this is!" With one single movement, Ryo propelled himself out of Dee's arms, and laid down next to him, crying silently.

"I don't understand," Dee agreed, nodding. "Hey, actually I'm pretty dumb. But I do understand you, and I know you'll power your way through anything. Even if there is legal stuff involving this child, you'll end up doing what's best."

Ryo laughed quietly, his rage dying away. "I'm sorry," he mumbled regarding the outburst. "I just lost it for a second. You're right Dee. With you around I'll handle it. It's just that I don't need the responsibility and it's freaking me out. I already have everything I could want with life - I want no more. But Dee... I have to go out to Elena's home, upstate. Most of my family lives upstate."

"When?" Dee asked.

"Tomorrow," Ryo said softly, turning around. "I already booked tickets on a flight there. It's only a short, two hour plane trip."

"I hope you bought two tickets," Dee mumbled, making Ryo turn towards him. "Cause you're not going to go through all that stuff, with your idiot family members alone. Not while I'm here."

At this, Ryo looked ready to cry again, but this time happily. "Oh Dee I did," Ryo muttered, his eyes showing how happy he truly was. "But I wasn't even going to ask you to deal with all of that."

"I signed on for the job, of being with you," Dee said, close to Ryo's ear. "It was one hundred percent my choice, and this is part of the job."

Ryo laughed politely. "You've been the sweetest to me," he mumbled, looking up into Dee's green eyes. "I appreciate it."

"I love you, enough said," Dee declared.

"I love you too," Ryo replied, leaning against Dee's shoulder.

- - - -

By the next morning everything was arranged. Cal's aunt agreed to watch after Bikky, while Ryo and Dee went upstate for a few days. They made it up there with perfect timing.

When the plane landed in a small airport, they were immediately greeted by a elegant older woman. She immediately saw Ryo, and embraced him like he was her son. "Oh my Ryo," she declared amazed, "Elena was so right! You had grown so much in the past years."

"Please Evie," Ryo replied, smiling, his eyes revealing that he was a little embarrassed. "Evie I'm not a little kid, and you saw me about three years ago."

"But you have grown more beautiful!" she declared sternly. Then her focus turned to Dee, who had been watching the exchange appreciatively. "And who is this young man?"

Dee remembered, and was stuck with a time when Ryo would be embarrassed to call themselves what they were, so it came as quite a shock when Ryo told the woman. "This is Dee, Evelen, we've been together for over a year now."

Her eyes narrowed, as she studied Dee and Ryo carefully. Yet then her features softened, as she accustomed to the idea of them being a romantic couple. "What a handsome young man!" she declared, with no formality or shyness. "And such beautiful eyes... my Ryo has chosen well. Eyes are the windows to a person's soul - and this man must have a fine soul inside."

Ryo laughed, the comment so characteristic to the woman. "Yes, I would say so," he chuckled. "So Evelen how are you holding up?"

"All right," the woman responded, her features darkening slightly. "It is just hard to get by in the hostile presence of your family Ryo. Arianne has been spending many nights over at my house. She is right now with my daughter Caroline at your uncle's house."

"It is so wrong to have her living with those people, at any moment," Ryo snapped, annoyed at the prospect of his family in that girl's life at all. As they walked towards the yellow cab, he wondered why.

Evelen nodded. "Elena always told me that she'd have a baby once she settled down. Look at her Ryo, having that kid at thirty five years old. I know it is common for women to have babies late now, but it terrified me. Now she's gone and Arianne still needs a parent. I know you are who Elena would have wanted Ryo."

A few more moments into the drive and Dee was forced to speak. He had tried to hold it in due to the fact that it would be impolite, but who was this friend of Ryo's aunt, to tell him that the baby was his responsibility? "Hey," he muttered, "Why can't you take in this kid?"

Ryo looked at him angrily, when Evelen seemed a bit taken aback. Then he sighed relieved when Evelen dismissed his comment laughing. "Dear, he's not as smart as he looks," she whispered to Ryo. "I'm too old to raise a baby. I'm almost seventy three years old and have never been of fine health. It is too risky, and I could never provide that baby with the right kind of normal life."

Ryo smiled, knowing Dee had not predicted Evelen's age correctly. Most thought her in her fifties, because of her cheerful attitude and fine health. It was in Dee's nature to do as he had, and be rude and protective of Ryo, so Ryo wasn't too mad. "It's not that our life is normal," Dee whispered under his breath.

"You could give life and love to the girl," Evelen retaliated. "I am just an old, sometimes overly bitter woman, and Arianne is a lively, happy girl."

Ryo remained speechless, watching Dee defend him. It was touching to see Dee so passionate about keeping him safe from harm. "I understand Evelen," he said in a quiet, polite voice. "I am not blaming you at all. I'm just... I don't want to um- see him hurting."

"That's so sweet Dee," Ryo muttered, finally able to talk. He took Dee's hand and sat closer to him. "Honestly, you are the greatest. But we will deal with my responsibilities when we get there. I won't break Dee, I'm not that fragile."

The elegant woman, let the two men sit close without words, for twenty minutes until they arrive at a large home on glamorous grounds. "Welcome to my rich uncle's estate," Ryo muttered, rolling his eyes sarcastically as they stepped out of the cab. "Old Nevan did a lot of lying, cheating and stealing to get this rich. It's amazing how he - and my aunt Lila are actually my dad and Elena's siblings."

Dee could feel the fear and anticipation pulsing through his lover. "Ryo are you okay?" he asked quietly.

"Of course," Ryo replied with little to say. "I'm terrified Dee but I'll get over it quickly. "

Then Dee pulled Ryo aside, motioning for Evelen to go ahead of them. His green eyes grew deeply serious and Ryo only had to wonder what he was thinking. "Ryo," Dee said sternly, his eyes staring directly into his lovers. "If something bothers you here, I want to be the first to hear it. I want to be there for you."

"You already have," Ryo muttered, letting Dee kiss his lips quickly. "Honestly Dee, your the first person I'll run to."

They slowly headed towards the porch of the large house, where a short, overweight man stood scowling at Eveln. "Hello Uncle Nevan," Ryo said, forcing out the words his fist clenching next to Dee.

"You're late," Nevan said, laughing gruffly, "Even your father in all of his awful ways - would be ashamed."

Ryo controlled his emotions well, even if Dee could see them brewing at the surface. He held tight to his lover's hand, and glared deeply at the man.

"Well I see your morals are just about as good as your fathers," Nevan cackled, looking down to Dee and Ryo's held hands. This only forced Dee to grab tighter. "Well come on, the lawyer is waiting inside and taking up my room."

"And you'd need a lot of that..." Dee mentioned sarcastically, holding onto Ryo. Who was this guy to step all over good people? "

"I will just go visit Arianne into the yard," Evelen whispered politely, and then to Dee. "Please keep things managed dear. I am afraid of things that may be said to hurt Elena's poor nephew."

"Nobody's hurting him on my watch," Dee replied, following Ryo and the scheming uncle. When they stopped, they were in a room possibly larger than Dee's entire apartment. At the end of the room sat a thin blonde woman, dressed in tight, official looking clothing. She peered at them over thick rimmed glasses. "This is the nephew?" she asked coldly.

"Yep, he's your problem now, layer lady," Nevan drawled. "Now get with it- I want the kid off my property, she's not any of my business."

Fury made it very difficult for Ryo to breath properly. He inhaled, and tried to focus on the woman in front of him, who stared at he and Dee angrily. "Mister MacLean, I am Jane Douglass and I was assigned to dealing with anything coming from the wills of your aunt and uncle. It is most fortunate that their child survived, no?"

"Of course it is," Ryo mumbled, and Dee could feel the catch in his breath.

"You are aware of the legal duties of a guardian?"

"I'd assume they are - they are the same duties as a parent," Ryo whispered, a tear threatening the corner of his eye. He was trying so hard not to be weak, but he was bringing out a weak front. It was just, that glimpsing at the disarray of Nevan's estate, listening to the anger, and now seeing this woman made it final. Rick and Elena were gone. Gone forever...

Dying was too real in Ryo's life, to see people he loved gone. Ten years before he had gone through the deaths of his parents, and now the other people who actually loved him were gone. How many more could be stolen?

"Yes," the catty woman told him, waking him up from the fears. "I assume you came to a legal agreement with them, over your being listed?"

"Yes," Ryo said, but wished he did not have to say it. He had even signed his will of consent. As the words came out of his lips, a million other thoughts ran through his mind. He wasn't a father, he wasn't the one who could be there for this little girl.

"There are more legal issues, that I will need to talk about at my office, in an official court setting," the woman replied, nodding. "But I do have a few background questions to ask you... "

Ryo nodded, looking not at the lawyer, but at Dee. "You're doing fine," he whispered, resting a hand on Ryo's leg. "Yes?" Ryo asked the woman.

"First of all, what is your career?"

"New York Police Department Detective - I work in criminal investigations."

The woman nodded as though she were impressed by his employment. "Good, good," she said. "Would you mind leaving me with the number of your station, sir, after I finish with you?"

Ryo shook his head and waited for her next question. "Where are you living?"

"I am living in New York City, in a small complex of apartments," Ryo said, but quickly added something to the lawyer, that shocked Dee. "Of course if I end up taking custody of Rick and Elena's daughter, then I would move into a larger home."

"Thank you," the woman said, scrawling notes. "I assume as a police officer that your lifestyle is suitable for a child of course?"

"Of course," he repeated.

After several other rounds of questioning, the woman said to him, "Mister Maclean I believe that there is no reasonable doubt as too your inability to provide an amazing family life for this child. There will be some court issues in the next few days but I have no doubts that you are the most applicable candidate in your family. Thank you."

- - - - - -

Review Thanks: Thank you to all for sticking with me, as I try my luck with this ongoing emotional plot.

Devil666sc- hahah... nice review.Thank you. That's really sweet of you.

Kitty in the Box - Yay someone who comes back! Yep, evils the understatement. I tend to do exhageratted characters. I'm glad you enjoyed the way it was written. I'll bring more soon.

Sweet Sakura Curls - We will see...:) Is this soon enough?