Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ Disciplined Breakdown ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mad World

Dee X Ryo, hints of Bikky X Carol

Disclaimer: Dee owns Ryo and Ryo owns Dee. Any attempt on my part to own them would thus result in injuries too terrible to contemplate.

Warnings: See Prologue

*words* = Thoughts or Flashback, *~*~*~*~* = POV/Scene change

Again, much thanks to my beta readers. Review responses are below.

Chapter 3: "Disciplined Breakdown"

After the nurse left the room, Ryo sat for close to 10 minutes, staring down at hands that were thinner and paler than he remembered. Four months. It seemed almost impossible. It was just too much to wrap his head around. He'd heard the nurse talk about tests and physical therapy, but it had been so hard to focus. He could bring himself to ask her about what else might have happened to him. Now, though, he sighed and looked up at Dee's face; suddenly it was a very believable amount of time. Looking at a face that was nearly as familiar as his own, he realized how much four months could change someone. It wasn't anything major, just a buildup of all the subtle changes that we got through. His hair was shaggier, his face thinner and more drawn, his eyes were more tired. All of these tiny things, changes unnoticeable if you saw that person every day, they all added up to make Ryo feel the full weight of what he'd lost. He lowered his gaze slightly as he felt the tears start to fall.

Dee had sat silently with Ryo, knowing he would need some time to adjust to what had happened. But when he saw those eyes drop and tears start, he couldn't stay quiet any longer. "I love you, Ryo." Dee didn't want to offer any empty promises that it would all be okay. He'd been listening to Sarah, and he knew Ryo had a long road ahead yet. But, if that four months had taught him nothing else, it was that he could never say those four words enough. "I'm here with you. We're not alone any more. I'm not going anywhere."

"I know, Dee. But… It's just… It's not fair! Four months, Dee. Goddamnit, four months without you." Ryo looked up into those green eyes. "It's not fair," he repeated. He could feel anger and resentment bubbling up in his chest. "Tell me that asshole's rotting in jail Dee."

"Ryo, you don't need to worry about that. You just need to focus on getting better so you can come home."

"You mean he's not?! That bastard nearly killed me and he's just out walking around?!"

"Ryo, just calm down. He was charged with reckless driving, and he had no prior convictions. He couldn't be put in jail for that."

"It's bullshit, Dee." Ryo reached up to wipe at the tears on his face, but paused when he felt the scar tissue on his left cheek. "Huh?" *What the…?* "Dee, I need a mirror."

Dee had been half-dreading this request. The glass in the driver's side window hadn't been completely shatterproof, and several pieces had been embedded in Ryo's face when they brought him in. The doctors had done an amazing job of patching him up, considering, but there were still scars on his cheek, including a rather vicious one that ran just below his eye and down for almost three inches. Sighing softly, Dee knew he couldn't reasonably put this off. "There's a mirror in the bathroom, babe. I'll help you get there."

Ryo allowed himself to be helped out of bed and into the bathroom. Feeling unsteady on his feet, he kept his eyes downward while he walked. He didn't look up until he felt Dee stop walking, and he sway the sink in front of him. Raising his eyes to his reflection, he gasped. The person staring back couldn't be him, even if the mirror-Dee had an arm around that person's waist, just like Dee did to his. But his hair was lanky and dull, his skin was sickly pale, and his frame was drawn and gaunt. And compounding all of that were the scars. Objectively, they weren't so bad - they could have been worse, and they were far from disfiguring. Subjectively, however, they were a physical reminder of just what had happened. Staring at that face in the mirror, Ryo looked deep into his own eyes, the only feature that hadn't seemed to change, and he felt suddenly ashamed of his appearance. He looked awful, and he felt terribly ugly. He wrapped his arms protectively around himself and turned away from the sight. Voice barely above a whisper, he let out a small sob. "Oh, God, Dee, how can you stand to look at me like this?"

The ebony haired man tightened his arms around him. "Because you're gorgeous." He kept his chest against the shorter man's back, letting him feel the words rumble in his chest. "You're wonderful, amazing, and a whole hell of a lot of other words. Now, come on, let's get you sitting back down, you look about ready to fall over." So saying, he urged Ryo back out of the bathroom and over to the bed.

Ryo sat down wearily. He felt like he was on an emotional roller coaster, and it was quickly wearing him out. He felt Dee fluff the pillow so he could lean back comfortably. "Dee, I don't want any more nasty surprises. What else happed to me?"

"Don't you think that's something you should talk to your doctor about?"

"Dee, I know you. You would have found out everything that happened to me. I know because it's what I would have done for you. And you'll give me a straight story, you won't try to dress it up with fancy words or anything. So please, just tell me."

Dee took Ryo's hand in his own once again and sat back down on the chair next to the bed. "Well, you had a dislocated left shoulder and your left arm broke three inches below the shoulder. That was a clean break, though, and it healed right up. The glass from the window shattered, and you saw that. The doctors didn't think there'd been any nerve damage, but they said they couldn't be sure until you woke up. You had a very bad head wound, fractured skull, the works. Because of that, you've been unconscious for four months. If there's a positive to that, it's that you got to sleep through the worst of your injuries healing." Through the laundry list of injuries he rattled off, Dee fought to keep his voice calm, but he couldn't help the emotions that played behind his eyes: anger, pain, and frustration, all from not being able to protect the one he loved. Rational or not, Dee had hated the fact that Ryo had suffered all of this alone, and that he had not been there to shield him.

"Oh. Is that all?"

"Is that all?! How can you…" Dee broke off when he saw the smile Ryo was wearing. It may have been tired and a bit strained, but it was definitely a smile. Dee chuckled. If Ryo was able to make jokes, things might be okay after all. "I love you, you know."

"Yes, I know," the blonde replied playfully. Looking in those emerald eyes, however, he relented. "I love you too, Dee. So, when do you have to go to work? I see you're dressed for it."

"Well, I'm supposed to be there in 20 minutes, but if you think you're getting rid of me that easy, you'd better think again. I just have to go make a phone call to the precinct. "Don't worry," he said, seeing a frown starting to form, "the chief understands, he won't ream me too bad. I'll be right back."

"Just don't be too long. I don't want to have to come find you," the sandy haired man said with a grin.

"Promise." Dee smiled back, and walked out of the room. As the door closed behind him, though, his smile slipped. *Something isn't right. First he's pissed, then he's crying, and now he's cracking jokes? This isn't like him.* Dee shook his head, dismissing the anxiety that was trying to form. *Shit, Dee, get a hold of yourself. He just woke up from missing four months of his life. He's got every right to act a bit off.* With that thought, Dee pulled out his cell phone and dialed Drake at the precinct. Hearing his friend's voice answer, he smiled. "Hey, Drake, it's me, Dee. Listen can you tell the chief that I'm not coming in today?" He had to hold the phone away from his ear as a loud string of curses came through the earpiece. "Listen, calm down man, I'm not being a 'lazy bastard,' as you put it. Ryo woke up! … Yeah, I know. So, I'm staying at the hospital today. I'll be in tomorrow, I'll give you the details then. Talk to you later, okay? Bye." He hit the button to disconnect the call, then hit his speed dial again. He waited while the answering machine on the other end picked up and rattled off its recorded message. "Yo, Bikky, grab Carol and haul your asses to the hospital. He's awake, man! I got my phone on if you need me." Pressing the button again, he slipped the phone back in his pocket and walked back into the room.

Ryo looked up at his entrance and felt his breath catch slightly. The grin Dee was wearing lit up his whole face, and Ryo was struck by just how attractive he was. Smiling, he said, "Hey handsome. C'mere." He watched the dark-haired man saunter over to the side of the bed.

"Yes?" Dee cocked an eyebrow in question, still grinning.

Ryo held up his hand and crooked his finger. "C'mere. Closer."

Dee leaned down, putting his hands on the bed to brace himself. "Like this?" If anything, his grin got wider.

"Yeah. That's better." Ryo leaned forward, pressing his lips gently against the other man's. His eyes slid closed, basking in that simple contact. The kiss was tender and chaste, an expression of affection and love. Ryo broke the kiss and looked up at the man he loved. He scooted over to one side of the bed and patted the space left vacant.

Dee's grin turned into a sexy smirk. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" he teased, secretly delighted that he could still make Ryo blush.

"Dee! That's not what I meant!" Ryo's voice got softer. "I just… I don't want to be alone. I need to know you're here, really here, and not just another part of some fucked-up dream."

Dee slipped his shoes off and climbed into the bed, stretching out on his back in the space left. He smiled over at Ryo as the brown-eyed man moved over, rolling onto his side, laying his head on the taller man's shoulder and winding an arm possessively across his chest. "I'm kind of tired, Dee. Will you stay while I nap?"

"Believe me, I'm not going anywhere. Unless you start snoring."

"I don't snore!"

"Well then, we're fine, aren't we?"

"Mm-hmm." Ryo snuggled down more comfortably, pulling the sheet up to his waist, and soon his breathing evened out.

Dee smiled at the warmth radiating from the man next to him. *Hmm. This is…perfect.* He relaxed, letting himself drift off as well.

*~*~*~*~*

TBC

AN: Okay, yes, I know Ryo's OOC, but there's a reason, I promise! Oh, and for those who wondered: I usually upload the newest chapter on Saturday morning or afternoon (depending on how late I was out Friday night ^.~). Okies, thank you for reading so far, feel free to use that review button there.

Review responses:

the random queen: I'm writing as fast as I can. Hope you enjoy.

firgodes7: Well, here's the next one. You'll see another in a week-ish.

Nittle Grasper Wonder: Here's the update. Enjoy!

Devil666sc: Yeah, happy Dee and confused Ryo does seem to be par for the course, ne?

Jexia: Thank you! I liked how that turned out too.

Gayle: Nope, he's not out of the woods. But he doesn't know that yet. <evil grin>

Nameless: Why? Ano, because it's fun? ^.~

SweetSakuraCurls: Yay, cookies! Thank you!

Kitty in the Box: Happy tears this time! Here's the latest.

Chris-Redfield26: Thank you!

ShadowPassinThru: Thank you. I'm trying to keep the angst and waff in balance. Glad to know it's going well.

spicysteweddemon: Thank you! Here's the update.

theromanguardian: I was originally going to leave him asleep for longer, but he didn't cooperate. So now I just have to torture him more while he's awake for it. ^.~

Okay, see you all next time!