Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ Inbetween Days ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mad World

Dee X Ryo, hints of Bikky X Carol

Disclaimer: Something clever about me not owning them and not being sued.

Warnings: Language, Angst, Shonen-ai/Yaoi, snogging

*words* = Thoughts or Flashback, *~*~*~*~* = POV/Scene change

Again, much thanks to my beta readers. Review responses will be in next chapter.

AN: This takes place a month after the last chapter

Chapter 8: "Inbetween Days"

Dee rushed around straightening and cleaning the apartment. He smiled ruefully; there was a time in his life that he'd never have believed he would spend a Friday night at home, cleaning. But here he was, washing floors, dusting, the whole works. Of course, this was for a special occasion, because come the next morning he was going to go get Ryo and bring him home. Over the last month, he'd spent every spare moment with his lover, wanting to help however he could. On top of that, a few of the cases he'd been on had broken, so he'd had to put in some long hours at work too. As a result, he'd neglected to keep up the apartment. But knowing how organized Ryo was, Dee wanted to make sure the place was in top shape for his homecoming.

It had been about a month since Ryo had woken up, and that month had been tougher than all four that Ryo had been unconscious. Dee was so worried for Ryo, who was still struggling with parts of his therapy. Dee remembered the night he'd walked in on Ryo's outburst, when the brown-eyed man had snapped and yelled at him. He'd managed to stay calm and get Ryo calmed down, but when he left the hospital that night, he couldn't go home. Rather, he went to the orphanage run by Mother Lane. He'd felt bad about going there late in the evening, but he'd really needed a sympathetic ear. So he'd sat there, spilling out everything: all of his fears, his feelings of inadequacy, his uncertainty. He even told her of his fear that God was punishing them for being in love with one another. At any other time he wouldn't have event thought such a thing, but how else could he explain it? Ryo hadn't done anything to deserve all of this.

Mother had been quick to set him straight. She reassured him that love was one of the blessings of God, no matter whom it was with. And she promised to keep them both in her prayers.

Dee had done the same, praying every night for Ryo's health and for the strength to help him through this. And now, at last all of Ryo's hard work was starting to pay off. The physical therapist declared him well enough to come home. Dr. Schmidt had also told them that Ryo would recover more quickly once he was out of the hospital.

Dee looked around the apartment, satisfied. If there was a speck of dust anywhere, it deserved a salute of respect for withstanding that furious cleaning. Deciding that nothing further could be done to make the place look good, he stretched and yawned widely. *I'd better get to bed. I want to be at the hospital early; I don't want to make Ryo wait a second longer than he has to.* With those thoughts, he got ready and went to bed.

*~*~*~*~*

The next day was surprisingly uneventful. Dee got to the hospital just as they were taking Ryo's vitals and giving him one last examination before releasing him. Then getting him dressed in real clothes, something he obviously relished. Getting the schedule worked out for Ryo to come in for his therapies, and receiving details on Ryo's dietary recommendations, as the doctor still wanted to see him gain more of his weight back. Finally, being taken out to the car in a last wheelchair ride.

Ryo savored the freedom of being out in the open air, away from the stuffy halls and disinfectant smell of the hospital. He took pleasure in just being in the car with the window down, feeling the air rush past his face and play with his hair. He reached up and tucked the strands behind his right ear as he stared absentmindedly out of the car window. He was thinking of leaving his hair longer, having gotten used to it while he was in the hospital. "Dee?"

"Yeah, babe?"

"What do you think? Should I keep my hair long like this?" Pulling up to a stoplight, Dee turned to the sandy-haired man, reaching up to run his fingers through those locks. "Hmmm. I don't know. I like being able to run my hands though it, but I don't want it to cover your eyes. Tough choice." Dee turned back forward just as the light changed and started the car moving again.

"Humph. You're no help," Ryo gently teased.

Dee just grinned as he drove. Finally, they were pulling into the parking garage at the apartment. Sliding into a parking slot, Dee killed the engine, popped off his seatbelt, and twisted in his sear to look over at his lover. "Long, short, you can shave your head bald if it makes you happy. Just as long as you stay here with me. Is that a deal?"

Ryo smiled at the sweet sentiment. "I think I can agree to those terms. It's a deal."

"Well, then, we should seal the deal." Dee smirked as he reached up, burying his hands in that sandy hair. He leaned forward slowly towards Ryo, who allowed his eyes to drift shut and released a short sigh of anticipation. At first, Dee let his lips just brush over the other man's; a soft, teasing contact that send shudders through both of them. But soon he began to kiss Ryo in earnest, Ryo responding with enthusiasm. Keeping one hand buried in those wonderful locks, Dee let his other hand drift down to Ryo's waist, massaging his hop as he pressed forward.

For his own part, Ryo had his hands clenched in the front of Dee's shirt, pulling the dark-haired man close. When lack of air forced them to break apart, Dee rested his forehead against Ryo's letting their panting breaths mingle. He pulled back a little further, looking down at his love. "We should get you upstairs. Because, as fun as this is, I think we'd be a lot more comfortable on the couch."

"Yeah…or the bed." Ryo gave a smile that left no doubt of his intentions.

Dee drew in a shaky breath. "Uhhh… I think we should just stick to the couch for now. I don't want to completely wear you out." Dee drew back completely as Ryo's hands slipped from the front of his shirt. Turning, he opened his door and got out of the car. Walking around to the other side of the car, he opened the door for Ryo, who has apparently taken the moment to compose himself. Helping his love out of the car, he couldn't resist running his fingers through strands of sand-coloured silk. "Ya know, this really is growing on me."

Ryo leaned into the touch slightly, cherishing every moment of contact with his lanky lover. "Mmmmm. Growing on me, really, whether I like it or not. C'mon. Upstairs. I wanna pick up where we left off."

"'As you wish.'" Dee grinned and winked, popping open the trunk and grabbing the bag of Ryo's things before locking up the car.

"As I wish, huh? What's next? You start sporting a black mask and calling yourself 'The Dread Pirate Roberts?'" With that comment, both men broke into laughter as they walked towards the elevators, arm in arm.

Once they got up to the apartment, Ryo sand down to the couch as Dee walked into the bedroom to take care of his bag. He was still somewhat weak, physically, and he definitely wanted to conserve his energy so he could finally enjoy himself with his green-eyed lover.

Dee finished unpacking the few things that were in the bag Ryo brought home and went back out to the living room. Looking down at the man he loved, he said "Now, where were we?" He sat down on the couch so that he faced towards Ryo and leaned forward. "If I recall correctly, it was right abut here."

Ryo smiled, love reflecting in his eyes. "Tenshi. Wa… Wat…" He stumbled over what he was trying to say. His eyes darkened in frustration. "Damnit. This shouldn't be so hard."

Dee cupped Ryo's cheek with his hand. "It's okay, Ryo."

"No, Dee, it's not okay." He took a few deep breaths to calm himself. "Watashi no tenshi. My angel. I know the words, they just don't always come. And it's very frustrating." He felt Dee's hand still resting on his cheek, and his thumb rubbing back and forth over his scars. He turned his head, dislodging that hand and let his hair fall forward to cover that half of his face. "Shit. What a way to kill the mood, huh?"

Dee put his hand back on Ryo's cheek, refusing to be deterred. "You know, I've always put more stock in actions anyway. Words are overrated." With that, he leaned in and kissed Ryo again. "I'd say the mood is still alive and kicking, babe."

Ryo smiled up at the man he loved. "You're incorrigible."

"Yeah, I am, aren't I? Like I said, less talk, more action." Following his own advice he drew closer to Ryo and rained small kisses on his face, neither avoiding the scars nor paying any special attention to them.

Ryo couldn't help but respond to such obvious affection. So he paid Dee back in kind, pressing his lips against the other man's and wrapping his arms around his back.

Thus they spend a pleasant few hours, cuddling and snogging on the couch, until their stomachs reminded them that food was in order. After dinner it was back on the couch to watch television for a while, then to bed in each other's arms. For the first time in too long, sleep came easy and peaceful to both of them.

*~*~*~*~*

AN: Um, what can I say but the fluff muse and the hentai muse locked my angst muse in the closet for this chapter. Oh, and virtual cookies to everybody who guesses what movie Dee and Ryo are talking about. Well, review, please, and see you next week. Ja ne.