Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ Painful Pasts ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Painful Pasts
 
As the sun rose into high noon, Ryo started to stir. His eyes felt as if they had been taped shut and it took him a moment just to open them, let alone adjust to fuzziness when he initially began to wake up. His whole body felt numb and his throat felt drier than a desert. At first he had no idea where he was, but the terrible ache that shot up his leg suddenly helped him remember how he had gotten there.
 
As he began to regain his senses an overwhelming feeling of warmth overcame him. He narrowed his eyes and realized what it was. There was Bikky, right under his right arm snuggled so close to him with an arm draped around Ryo's stomach fast asleep. Ryo smiled as he felt a little tear trickle down his cheek. The boy was a handful, but during moments like this when Bikky let his guard down was precious. This wasn't the first time Bikky had just let it all go. In the earlier days when he first moved in with Ryo Bikky was still reeling from his father's death and had begun having nightmares. Night after night Bikky would wake up screaming and night after night there would be Ryo right by his bedside holding him close and comforting him letting the boy cry into his pajama shirt. Sometimes, if the nightmares were really bad, Ryo would even pick the boy up in his arms and carry him to his bed, which was formerly his parents, where he would hold Bikky until the boy fell asleep. Other times Bikky would crawl into the big bed with him just needing to be reassured that his new dad was still with him. Of course, those nights were always kept a secret from Dee and even Bikky's best friend Carol. The boy did have a reputation to uphold. But to Ryo, this was something he cherished and right now he was basking in it as he stroked the blonde locks and wrapped his arm as tightly as he could around the boy.
 
Ryo soon realized that it wasn't just him and Bikky in the room as he felt heaviness on his left hand. He turned his head slowly to see Dee, also fast asleep, clasping his hand. Sometime after Bikky had nodded off, Dee couldn't take sitting so faraway from Ryo and moved to the other side of the bed where he took Ryo's hand and brushed some honeyed locks off his face.
 
“I'm here Ryo.” Dee had said gently kissing the limp hand. “I'm not going anywhere. I love you.”
 
If there were any two people in the world that could be more different and probably completely incompatible with each other, then that was DEFINITELY Randy “Ryo” Mclean and Dee Laytner. While Dee was a cocky, loud mouthed, somewhat oversexed slacker who broke the rules often, Ryo was quiet, caring, reserved workaholic with a tendency to take things a little too seriously from time to time. If Dee and Ryo were called, or rather yelled, into the Chief's office it was usually because of Dee's doing. The chief had thought that partnering Ryo with Dee would be able help Dee stop being such a smart ass and actually shape up both at the precinct and in the field, but that was an exercise in futility as Ryo actually started following Dee's habits, not that he meant to necessarily.
 
Needless to say, both detectives found themselves drawn to one another not just on a professional level, but on a personal one as well. It was actually their personal lives that helped draw out that latent love that had been growing in their hearts. Both orphans, Dee and Ryo were victims of cruel abandonment. Dee had been abandoned when he was a tiny infant in an alleyway where he would have surely perished had he not been found by a kind cop who took him to Mother Lane's orphanage in New York City. Even though he was raised in a caring environment with Mother Lane being the best mom he could ever ask for, he still faced his own hardships and loneliness that no child should face. For Ryo, his childhood was a happy one until he was eighteen when his parents were killed in a brutal and gruesome accident. It tore the teen apart and he was taken in by his father's sister Elena and her husband Rick where as much as they could provide for the young man both in love and stability, they could never erase the pain of losing the people he had adored most in his life. It was worse when at the funeral his father's side of the family, which was mostly upper class snobs except for kind Elena, commented horribly on Mr. Maclean's decision of marrying a woman outside his class and his background as Ryo's mother, was Japanese. For both Dee and Ryo fate had dealt them a terrible hand and it had been up to them to either sink in misery or rise above and grow to be the outstanding young men that they were today.
 
In the end, Dee couldn't see himself without Ryo and vice versa. Even though Ryo had tried to convince himself he wasn't attracted to Dee, he couldn't fight it any longer. The kisses were drugging, the embraces were warm, and Dee's voice was soothing. For Dee, his arms felt empty without Ryo to fill them and his heart ached when they were apart. Oh yeah, and the sex was pretty damn good too. Nevertheless, they had found each other through the insanity called life and would be damned to let each other go. And as Dee sat there falling asleep on Ryo's hand, he knew that he would do everything in his power to keep it that way.
 
Ryo reached over and slipped his hand from Dee's and began to caress the soft olive skinned cheek that was slowly becoming rough with unshaven fuzz. Ryo smiled through the oxygen mask as Dee began to stir.
 
“Ryo?” Dee murmured as he began to open his eyes. He blinked and then turned his head to see his beloved caressing it with such care looking at him tiredly but with bright smiling eyes.
 
“RYO!” Dee yelled grabbing Ryo's hand and leaning over to look into the deep, dark eyes. “Hey buddy…you okay?” He asked caringly.
 
Ryo nodded and released his hand from Dee's and began to pull off the oxygen mask just as Bikky began to move about. Bikky blinked and saw Ryo was moving and leapt.
 
“Ryo!” The preteen also yelled sitting up.
 
Ryo smiled as he brought the oxygen mask down to his chin.
 
“How are my boys hm?” He asked hoarsely.
 
Bikky smiled as he tried to fight off the tears.
 
“We're fine Ryo!” He said wiping his face. “Are you alright!? You had me scared shitless.”
 
Ryo glared at the boy's vulgar comment and then gave a little laugh.
 
“I'm fine.” He said. “My leg hurts and my throat is a little scratchy, but I'm okay.”
 
He started to cough dryly and Dee ran into the bathroom and came out with a glass of water.
 
“Here.” He said leaning onto the bed and holding onto the back of Ryo's head lifting it slightly. Dee put the glass to Ryo's lips and slowly helped him to get a few sips in. He started to cough again as he choked a little on the water.
 
“Take it easy there baby.” Dee said sweetly stroking Ryo's hair out of his face and helped him sit up a little.
 
“Thank you.” Ryo murmured as Dee set the water down. He then turned to Bikky still fighting off the tears. Ryo smiled as he tried to suppress his own and outstretched his arms to the preteen.
 
“Aww Bikky.” He said as Bikky collapsed into Ryo's arms and started to cry. Ryo pulled the boy to his chest and rocked him gently even though the lingering anesthetic was still quite heavy on his body.
 
“Don't ever do that again Ryo!” The boy yelled. “I don't want to lose you too!”
 
Ryo sniffled and let his own tears fall onto the boy's blonde locks.
 
“You'll never lose me Bikky.” He said tearfully. “I promise.”
 
“You better promise!” The boy said angrily as more tears poured out.
 
“Shhh…it's alright…I'm here. It's okay.”
 
Dee could only watch as father and son were reunited once more and suddenly felt his own emotions get the best of him. He turned to face the window so Ryo wouldn't see the tears. But of course, he could never fool Ryo.
 
“Dee?” Ryo asked. The ebony haired detective turned to him with a tear stained face. Ryo smiled and stretched out his hand which Dee gladly took. There three young men held each other and cried, grateful to whatever being was up in heaven that they were together once more.