Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Scrambling for Perfection ❯ Scrambling for Perfection ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Scrambling for Perfection

Fandom: FAKE

Rating: G

Author: yellowhorde

Challenge Word #81

Word Count: 471

Note: My first attempt at the 15minuteficlet challenge. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. *^-^*

 

 

"Hurry up, Ryo," Dee hissed frantically, "You're almost out of time!"

 

Ryo shook sweaty bangs from his face, his lips pressed into thin lines of concentration. "I know." He growled.

 

"I'm serious." Dee insisted. "You're nowhere near done."

 

"I know that, Dee."

 

"You're never going to make it in time."

 

"Dee, shut up!"

 

Ryo reached for one of the plastic shapes scattered next to the ticking device, but in his haste managed to send it skittering across the table. He snatched for it, managing to catch it just as it teetered off the edge. With a sigh of relief he picked it up, adjusted it for entry, and slid it into the appropriate space.

 

Only three left.

 

Tick, tick, tick.

 

The timer's heart beat was very loud in the silence of the room. Ryo ground his teeth in frustration and risked a glance up towards his partner. Dee was leaned close over his shoulder, his green eyes large, one hand clamped over his mouth in an effort to hold his tongue.

 

Their eyes met for one tick of the clock. Dee's expression plainly told Ryo that there was no way he was going to be able to finish before the timer went off.

 

Unfortunately, Ryo agreed.

 

He hadn't had to do anything remotely like this for more years than he cared to think about. And it was a lot harder than he remembered. He was out of practice and that made him slow. And now he was going to pay the price.

 

Two pieces left.

 

With his heart racing, Ryo glanced at the timer and immediately wished he hadn't done so. Panic surged through him, making his once sure hands tremble and shake like those of an arthritic old man. The bright yellow plastic piece jittered against the side as he slid it hastily into place.

 

Almost there.

 

But just as he reached for the last piece, the small timer buzzed.

 

And everything literally flew apart.

 

"Ha ha, you lose, Ryo!" Bicky cried exstatically holding out his hand expectantly "Not as easy as you thought it would be, is it?"

 

"No, it's not." Ryo sighed as he fished into his pocket, and pulled out his last twenty dollar bill. He gazed at it longingly for a moment, then with a look very much like pain, handed the money over to his son.

 

Bicky grinned and stuffed it into the front pocket of his jeans.

 

"Alright! I am the Perfection champion!" He turned his eyes to Dee. "You wanna try?"

 

Dee smiled and took a seat, positioning himself comfortably.

 

"Sure, why not. But this time, I'm going to win."

 

Bicky laughed as he set the timer.

 

"Sure, sure, sure. If you say so."

 

 

THE END