Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Devil's Sweet Ride ❯ Prologue: Part II ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Prologue: Part II
 
“Sammy, why the hell're we here?” Dean Winchester asked irritably as he followed his brother into the local hospital in Palo Alto.
 
Sam's jaw tightened in a movement so barely perceptible that few people would have picked it up. “I told you already. And stop calling me that.”
 
“Yeah, you told me about the John Doe. What you didn't tell me is how it's our business,” Dean replied, ignoring his brother's last words altogether.
 
“I told you that, too.”
 
“Well, sorry, Sam, but `just a hunch' doesn't really work for me.”
 
“Why not?” Sam asked, and something in his tone caused Dean to actually desist, sensing danger.
 
Sam walked up to the head nurse's desk and cleared his throat. “Excuse me.”
 
Dean rolled his eyes as the nurse looked up and smiled. “Can I help you, dear?”
 
“I hope so. I'm here about toe John Doe that showed up here a couple days ago.”
 
“Oh, did you want to see him?”
 
“If it's not too much trouble. But first I wanted to ask you a question.”
 
“Fire away.”
 
“Well…this is going to sound strange, but…is there anything…weird about him? I mean, besides the fact that the guy has no identity?”
 
Oh, real subtle, Sammy, Dean thought, thinking once again that there was something…wrong…with his brother. Well, okay, not wrong, exactly. Just—off. Something slightly off-center about him, his conversation, his work…everything.
 
It was definitely a thought to get back to.
 
The nurse frowned momentarily, then said, “Well, he was very polite. He was real confused and scared, obviously, but he was still polite. And…” She hesitated. “Okay, this part isn't classified, but it isn't exactly widely known information, either…”
 
“What?”
 
“Well…he has no sign of any kind of injury at all. No evidence of anything that could cause amnesia. The police are thinking maybe it's some kind of post-traumatic stress—sometimes traumatized people develop selective memory. Sometimes it's temporary, sometimes it's not. But this case is…different. His memory loss is complete—he doesn't even know his name. I had to explain to him what state he was in and which side of the continent we were on.”
 
Sam glanced at his brother, his eyes clearly saying, Told ya so.
 
In response, Dean's eyes told Sam to go do something fairly colorful.
 
“Can we see him now?” Sam asked, and the nurse smiled and led them to the room.
 
Dean ended up being the first one to go in, and Sam was about to follow when he came out again, muttering and waving his hands, his face a peculiar mix of annoyance, surprise, and an edge of panic. “I'm going to get coffee,” he snapped at Sam as he stalked past. You can take this.”
 
Sam watched him go, baffled. Then, afire with curiosity about what could have elicited such a response from the practically-unshakable Dean Winchester, he poked his head into the room.
 
The man on the bed looked over at him. “Oh, hello,” he greeted Sam with a smile. “Do you happen to know where that other fellow went? He left kind of suddenly and he didn't look very good…”
 
Sam stared at him for a moment, then closed his eyes slowly and sighed inwardly.
 
This could get very complicated…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: I think I might be the first person in the world to write a two-part prologue. But that's really the only thing I can think to call this—it's just so short. But now we're getting into the actual story, so the chapters will be longer and more involved—and there will be much more plot.
 
Speaking of which, sorry about this whole plotless beginning thing—I know it's probably making any existent readers impatient and irritated, but it really is necessary. I had very distinct views of where I wanted these first two installments to begin and end. Now I've accomplished my goals and I can go back to winging it.
 
But let me just clear something up right here and now: I really have no idea what hospital policy is on John Does. I don't know if you can check them out if you can ID them, or if there's a ton of red tape to work around. So please excuse any discrepancies, if you would.