Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected III ❯ Time For A Getaway ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected III
Chapter 5 - Time For A Getaway
Word Count: 3515
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
Summary: Ryo takes Dee away for a few days for what he hopes will be a chance to relax and have fun.
Notes: This is short chapter and a filler. Just a little sun and fun for Dee and Ryo. Believe it or not, there will be another chapter posted before the end of the week.
Lots of hugs and big thanks to the beautiful and totally awesome gracie_musica for the beta.
 
# # # # #
 
June 7, 2006

Ryo woke Dee up around eight that morning. He felt guilty because during the night Dee had gotten up to use the bathroom several times, and at one point when he returned to bed, he could not get comfortable for a while. Dee did not fall asleep right away either, still upset over the Caully case, hoping that the boy would be okay. There was no more he could do, but he was hoping the Commissioner would find a way to step in and make sure the boy got the medical assistance Dee was certain he was in need of.

It had been one of those rough nights when Dee did not get much sleep, and Ryo hated having to wake Dee so early on a day off.

In the last few months, unless there was a morning appointment, Ryo would let Dee sleep in on off days. Ryo took comfort in knowing it was a day off, and once they were done with their visit to see Dana and her family in the hospital, Dee would be able to sleep for the ride to their first destination. Elena had offered to drive into the city and pick them up from the hospital for the drive to Sayville, which was on the southern shore of Long Island. That would save Dee the wear and tear of taking the subway to the Long Island Railroad and then the taxi ride from the train stop.

It was exactly what Dee did once he was settled in the passenger side in the front. Elena was hoping to speak to the two of them more about their buying a vehicle. She ended up talking mostly to Ryo, while Dee slept. Ryo admitted that she made her point the last time they talked about cars, and that they were looking at SUVs and mini-vans. Talk went on to what Ryo and Dee had settled on for the nursery and that they planned to start serious work in it the following week, since Ryo and Barry were done with the primer paint. Elena volunteered her and Rick to help out, and Ryo accepted the help.

Dee work up when they were in Hempstead, and Elena had to pull over to allow Dee to hit a restroom. When he got back into the van, after a few minutes of grumping about being uncomfortable, Dee fell back asleep, much to Ryo and Elena's amusement.

He started to stir slightly when Elena pulled over in the Land's End parking lot. “Rise and shine, sunshine,” Elena announced.

Dee opened his eyes, and raised a hand to wipe at bleary eyes. He noticed the restaurant where their engagement party was held. “Huh? We're going to spend our anniversary at Land's End?” he asked.

Ryo laughed as he opened his door. He went to the back and gathered their luggage. “Come on, Dee. We have a ferry to catch.”

Dee sat up more and looked around. “Ferry?”

Elena was smiling as she also got out of the car. She grabbed a bag from Ryo, leaving him with a hand to open Dee's door. “Come along, sleepyhead. You can sleep all you want once we get to the house,” Ryo said fondly.

Dee looked at Ryo as he started to get out of the van. “House?”

“Boy, you are exhausted. That's the most one word responses I've heard from you in years,” Ryo quipped, giving Dee a hand getting out of the car. He watched as Dee stretched, his hands on his lower back.

“I must be. If I slept long enough to get to Sayville, while Koko is running races in there,” Dee said. He leaned against Ryo. “So, I heard something about catching a ferry? And a house? Do I finally find out what you planned?”

Ryo grinned and leaned over to kiss Dee. “Yeah, you do. We're taking a ferry over to the Fire Island Pines, where I managed to secure us a house until Saturday night.”

“You what?” Dee's eyes went wide. “How did you do that?”

Ryo laughed. “JJ. That's why we were having all those little private talks that were driving Drake crazy.”

Dee grinned. “At least Drake got jealous, even a little unreasonable. Okay, so we all have been overworked and overstressed this last week, but still, it says he cares.”

Ryo chuckled as he started to pick up bags again, and taking the bag Elena held.

“Here, let me get something. I'm not helpless, you know,” Dee remarked, holding his hand out.

Ryo shook his head, but handed over two of their lighter bags. He looked over to his aunt. “I'd hug you if my hands weren't full, but thank you for the ride. I guess I could have hired a car.”

“Oh, I enjoyed our little talk during the ride, including Sweetness' grunts, groans and snores,” Elena said with a smirk. She reached out to quickly hug Ryo. “Give me a call on what time you expect to be here on Saturday night.”

“Elena, no need to have to drive into the city and back at night. We can hire a car. Then you can come in on our next day off. How does that sound?”

Elena pouted, but eventually nodded her head. “If you change your mind, all you need to do is call.” She smiled at him, before turning to Dee. She hugged him, patting his swell. “You enjoy yourself. And happy anniversary.”

Dee's smile was bright. “Yeah, an important one, but now we also have a wedding anniversary to look forward to.” With one arm, he managed to hug Elena back and kissed her forehead. “We'll see you soon. We're going to start working on the nursery and looking forward to having you join in the fun.”

“I'm so there. Just give me a day to show up. Lunch will be on me.” She squeezed his arm, and with her other, grasped Ryo's forearm. “You boys have a nice relaxing and loving little vacation. This might be your last getaway before the baby is born.”

“I think it is,” Ryo commented. “Too much to do with only so much free time. There is a resort that pampers Carriers in New Jersey that I'd like to take Dee to next month, but who knows.” He smiled. “We do have a nursery to get ready.” He leaned over to kiss his aunt goodbye. “Later, Elena. And once again, thanks for the ride.”

Elena stood and watched as the two men made their way over to the pier for the Fire Island Pines ferries. She smiled fondly as they walked slowly, realizing Dee was developing a slight waddle. She wondered how much their daughter will weigh when she will finally be born, because Dee was close to looking like he was ready to pop. She went through that herself with Dani, looking like she was ready to give birth and barely 8 months pregnant.

Ryo was glad he had already purchased their tickets online because a line was already formed for the next Ferry. He was thankful to see the line was not very long, so they should be able to get on the next one, which was scheduled to leave in fifteen minutes. As they approached the line, Ryo noticed a bench close by. He stopped by the bench, and placed one of their suitcases he carried on the ground before the bench. He leaned over to lovingly kiss Dee again.

“Sit down here until they start loading, love. “ He opened the zipper of the soft sided, padded ice cooler he had slung on his shoulder and pulled out two bottles of cold water. He handed one to Dee, and managed to hold onto the other as he closed the chest.

“What's with all the food?” Dee asked, peering in. The cooler was already packed and ready by the time Ryo woke Dee up.

Dee realized Ryo had to have been up very early, because the bags they packed with clothing and necessities were in the entryway, along with another overnight bag that Dee did not remember Ryo packing the night before. There were also a couple of cloth shopping bags that Dee noticed were packed with some non-perishable food. The living room was straightened out, and breakfast was ready. Bikky had already left for school, and was going to stay with Carol and Elina until Saturday. Sometimes Ryo still amazed Dee.

“I know there's somewhere we can buy food, but I thought having a start for today would be a good idea. Then tomorrow, we can take a nice stroll for breakfast, and stop at the Pantry on the way back.”

“Great idea.”

“I'm glad you approve,” Ryo said with a smile. “Now sit and put your feet up on that bag there.” He indicated the suitcase on the ground. “I'll hold us a place on the line.”

Instinct had Dee starting to protest, but feeling the exhaustion from the last week, he was able to see reason and, after kissing Ryo, he sat down. He contented himself with watching Ryo, as his husband stood on the line. It did not seem like much time went by before Dee was standing up and joining Ryo as they boarded onto the ferry.



It was a twenty minute ride before they were approaching the harbor. Dee and Ryo sat on a bench outside on the upper deck of the ferry, toward the back. Dee leaned over the railing, gazing out at the approaching town. Lush greens with rooftops and upper decks of wooden houses of unusual design going through the trees.

“There's a reason why it's called the Pines,” Dee commented, a hand on his belly, rubbing small circles.

“You say that every time we come here the first time for a season,” Ryo commented, amused.

“I wasn't talking to you this time. I was telling Koko.” He rubbed his belly more. “Yes, I know you're excited. You have an awesome Papa for taking us here.”

Ryo placed his arm around Dee's shoulder. “That's `cause Daddy and Koko are pretty awesome too.” He kissed Dee softly, but conveying the love he felt for his dark haired husband. “Happy Anniversary, Dee.”

“Happy Anniversary to you, too. This is perfect. Thank you.”

Ryo nuzzled the side of Dee's face. Dee was still basking in the wonder of Ryo being so open in front of so many strangers. “Perfect, huh? And you didn't see the house yet,” Ryo chuckled, rubbing his cheek against Dee's.

“I can't wait.” Dee snuggled against Ryo. The lighter haired detective's hand joined his in rubbing the baby bump, as they watched the Fire Island Pines come closer. The harbor, along with the pier for the ferry docking came into their view as the ferry moved along closer to shore along its way to dock.

To Ryo's satisfaction, he felt that Dee was already starting to relax. He intended that the next few days would make up for the previous week, and to do his best to help Dee's fears and anger over what had happened with Caully. “I'm sorry, Dee,” he said softly. His chin rested on Dee's shoulder, as he continued to hold the man he loved while they looked out at the view. “I didn't mean to make you work so much.”

“Don't be. This is all worth it. Spending a few days here with you is definitely worth it.”

“I'm glad.”

“We should start gathering our things,” Dee said with a smile. “We'll be pulling up pierside in about five minutes.

~+~ ~+~ ~+~


Dee was wandering around the opulent, yet open living room of the house, checking every nook and cranny. “JJ actually knows someone who owns this place?” he asked, amazed.

“He has a friend who had to go out of town and hasn't had a chance to line up any renters, so I took advantage of it. This is beautiful, isn't it?”

Dee nodded. He went over to the large almost ceiling to floor windows that took up most of the wall overlooking the deck. Outside on the deck there was a narrow lap pool and hot tub, along with lounge chairs and a small barbeque grill. “Too bad I can't use the hot tub right now, but that pool is looking good.”

Ryo came up behind Dee, and placed his arms around his middle, hands settling on the bump. “We have all day, Dee. How about we take a little nap, and then I'll make lunch and we can take it outside. We can get some sun, do some swimming, and then maybe later before dinner, go up to the tower loft where we can have some fun.”

Dee's grin was wide. “That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that room. I would love to have you make love to me in there.”

Ryo chuckled. “I thought the same thing. I would love to make love to you up in that room, with the sun setting beyond the windows.”

The room they talked about was over the upper level of the two story contemporary house. It was a tower loft that had a long hallway leading to it which ran across the middle of the house on the roof. From the hallways was door giving access to the roof deck. On one side was a larger barbeque pit, along with chaise lounges and a long table. There were stairs leading from that deck to another deck above the tower loft, where a smaller table was for intimate meals. The loft was at the end of the hall, a square room, three walls that were predominantly windows looking out in different directions of the island. They were able to see the harbor and Long Island Sound on the northern shore of the narrow island, with a northern view of the Pines, and a southern view where they were able to see the roofs of the houses in Cherry Grove, which was a town south of the Fire Island Pines. Build along the northern wall was a high platform bed. Ryo and Dee agreed that as beautiful as the rest of the house was, the tower loft was the most romantic room.

An additional incentive for going to Fire Island for a mini-vacation was that Fire Island Pines and Cherry Grove were predominant GBLT towns, and both were very Carrier friendly. From the windows and roof deck, they watched not only single men and woman, but couples and families. Cherry Grove was more of a party town, while the Fire Island Pines was for families. There were pregnant Carriers, in bathing trunks, strolling along the beach or the boardwalks which were the only roads in the town, some with children scampering around them. Ryo knew he had made a good choice deciding to go there. He only wished that there could have been an easier way to arrange their days off to take the trip. He knew he could have requested time off - both he and Dee had plenty of days accrued to take time off, but with the impending birth of the baby, they both tried not to take more time off then was necessary.

~+~ ~+~ ~+~

Ryo entered the living room from the kitchen, carrying a plate of steaks he had brought along with other food for the day. The steaks were seasoned, and ready to be put on the grill for dinner. A package of salad greens had taken care of their salad and was chilling in a bowl in the fridge until dinner was ready. Once the steaks were on the grill, Ryo intended to go back into the kitchen to get the skewers with various vegetables to grill as well.

He stopped when he caught sight of Dee, who was on the deck. He wore only swim trunks as he sat on the end of the pool where the high shrubs and pine trees provided shade. It had turned out to be a beautiful day, a little warm for June. The heat did not seem to bother Dee much, since the house had central air, and his time outside left him feeling refreshed from the pool.

As Ryo watched Dee, it reminded him of on their honeymoon at that beautiful resort in the Bahamas. He had loved to watch Dee for a while as the other man swam or lounged around the private pool that was part of the apartment they had rented for the week. With a tender smile on his face, Ryo watched as Dee carefully lowered himself into the pool, and slowly walked toward the middle, a blissful smile on his face.

Grinning, Ryo walked onto the deck. Dee turned his head as he noticed the other man. “Can you keep an eye on the steaks while they grill?” Ryo asked. “Just make sure nothing's burning, and if so, call me.”

Dee started for the edge of the pool, nodding. “Sure. I can do that.”

“You don't have to hover by the barbeque. We don't need your body temperature rising while our dinner cooks,” Ryo warned.

“Don't worry. I don't consider that fun,” Dee assured, leaning his arms on the deck. He watched as Ryo placed the steaks on the grill.

“I shouldn't be too long. I'm going to get our veggies to put on too, along with some cold drinks.” Ryo turned back and winked at Dee. “Then I just might join you in the pool until dinner's ready.”

“I'll be waiting here.”

“You better.” Ryo grinned and then started back into the house.

Dee spent the time until Ryo returned doing some underwater exercises his trainer had taught him.

~+~ ~+~ ~+~


They sat on the deck, taking their time and enjoying a long and leisurely meal. They took it inside for the first hour of darkness when it got a little cool outside. Ryo remembered the first time he had gone to Fire Island with Dee and thinking since it was in mid-August, it would not get cold. He was surprised when he found himself buying a sweatshirt after the sun had gone down. Dee laughed and teased him and pointed out that they were surrounded by water on both sides and the width of the island from one shore to the other was less than a mile at the widest point. Which was why so many homes had fireplaces, including the one they were staying in. JJ's friend had the fireplace cleaned before the start of the season, so Ryo put on a fire and they sat on one of the comfortable leather sectional couches, snuggled together, while listening to some soft jazz music.

Later in the evening found them dressed in sweaters as they walked hand in hand along the surf of the beach. They had walked halfway toward Cherry Grove and back, taking the time to sit down and rest on the beach. It was late when they got back to the house, but neither man was tired. They sat up for a while longer in the living room, before going up to the tower room. Ryo was amazed they had eventually made their way to the opulent master bedroom suite.

The next morning, they took a walk to the Harbor, where they had breakfast, and then did some grocery shopping in the Pantry. Dee still teased Ryo about packing some groceries to take with them, but Ryo knew he would appreciate it when Dee started to crave some things not available on the island, including the mochi and milk Pocky. If Dee did not develop a craving for fresh White Castle food at 3 am while they were there, Ryo would be very grateful. Several times before, including once in the last week, Dee woke up wanting White Castle, insisting that he would go himself if Ryo did not want to go. With the nearest White Castle being in midtown by 34th Street, Ryo did not want his pregnant husband to be wandering the streets at 3 am, so he would get up, pull on some clothes and head out with Dee. They would eat in and then get on the subway to go back down to Rivington Street, where they lived.

They spent some of the day on the beach, and after dinner that evening, since Dee had taken a long nap in the late afternoon, they took a water taxi over to Cherry Grove. Dee did not last more than two songs at a time inside the Ice Palace, before needing to go out to the deck, with a cold drink. They ended up talking with a few other Carriers and their spouses, the other pregnant men also needing to get out into the cool air after the heat of the club. The Ice Palace was the legendary club that was part of the Cherry Grove Beach complex. For most visitors, it was the center of their visit to the island, no matter where else they would end up for the evening.

Dee and Ryo did not spend the entire night at the Ice Palace, deciding to go to a few other places around the town. It was strange to Dee to go to well known watering holes and not drink. Ryo had a couple of beers, but mostly stuck to soft drinks that evening. They ended up at a rooftop club referred to by one of the couples they spoke to at the Ice Palace. It was a club for Carriers, and during the daytime was children friendly. No alcohol was served. The club was open, half under a canvas roof. They served snacks on the rooftop, and on the ground level was a café. The music played switched from popular dance music to slow romantic songs. The pace was agreeable to Carriers, and Ryo and Dee decided to go back again the next evening. Through the evening, Dee had been recognized by a few people, but at that one club, he had a moment in the spotlight as a local celebrity. People noticed him from the press conferences and follow up TV and magazine interviews he had done because of the Carrier Cases. Ryo was thankful that while Dee was being acknowledged, their privacy was respected.

Dee was almost impossible to deal with by the time they returned to the house late that night. Thankfully, he was also tired enough from the day, that he was asleep not long after they settled in the four poster king sized bed in the master bedroom.