Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Confirmation ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
 
Chapter 2
Confirmation
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
*** *** ***
 
12/8/06
 
“MacLean, in my office now!” came the snapped command through the open door of the office Ryo and Dee shared.
 
Ryo paused in his stretch, looking first at the door, then to his partner, who lounged in his chair, one foot propped on an open desk drawer.
 
“Now what?” he asked Dee. “What does he think I did now?”
 
Dee shrugged. “It's Rose. You don't have to do anything. He just wants you in his office so he can undress you with his eyes.”
 
“That's not even funny, Dee,” Ryo fumed.
 
“No, it's not funny,” Dee agreed, a frown coming to his face. “Not at all.”
 
“Let me see what he wants this time,” Ryo stated annoyed. He glanced at the clock. “Dee, I'll try to get out of there as soon as I can. Don't call until I'm back.”
 
Dee shrugged. As he had been doing all morning since he woke up, Dee was working hard on presenting his usual demeanor. Only Ryo noticed it was just a façade. For one thing, Ryo was able to see Dee's real emotions in his eyes. Dee was never good at keeping his emotions from his eyes, but only those who dared to stare hard enough at the intense dark jade orbs could see the truth.
 
“Make it quick then,” Dee remarked.
 
“Dee,” Ryo chided softly.
 
“Look, Ryo,” Dee said, sitting up in his chair, both feet now on the floor. “If it's legit, hear him out. I'll wait if it concerns a case. But if it's just another of his pathetic excuses to gaze at you, or worse, an attempt to convince you that he's the right man for you, then cut off his bullshit and get out the hell of there.”
 
Ryo sighed. Lately the Commissioner seemed to return to his mission which had lead him to the 27th precinct. He wanted Ryo.
 
In the past, the Commissioner had made a few passes at Ryo, and even managed to grab a kiss from the chestnut haired detective once. Ryo had socked him for the kiss. His attempts had become more subtle as time went since until just before him and Dee became a couple, the attempts had stopped. Then without warning, about the time he moved in with Dee, the Commissioner had started his `Get Ryo' campaign. It put Ryo on edge. Dee's feeling toward the Commissioner had gone from rocky to turbulent in a short time. It was only Ryo's demanding that Dee trust him, and know that he can take care of himself kept Dee from doing something which would most probably get him fired. Which also seemed to be something else Rose was determined to do - provoke Dee into attacking him and getting himself tossed off the force. At least it felt like that to both detectives.
 
“It's not that easy, Dee,” Ryo stated in response to Dee's demand. “He is the Commissioner.”
 
“And totally out of line,” Dee snapped. “Look, if this is what it'll take for you to finally pop him a good one and tell him to fuck off, then I hope he does try to kiss you again.”
 
“That's enough, Dee!” Ryo warned. “I don't want him even trying.”
 
“Whatever,” Dee mumbled. He toyed with a folder on his desk, then with his head still down, his eyes glanced up to Ryo through his dark bangs. “But I do like hearing that from you.”
 
“Ryo!” Ted's voice came from the door. Ryo and Dee turned to see one of the other Criminal Investigations detectives poke his head in the door. “Rose is seething. He wanted you in his office like a minute ago.”
 
Ryo threw his hands up in the air. “Wait for me, Dee,” he warned, before rushing out.
 
“Let him wait and stew,” Dee grumbled, watching Ryo in his haste leave the office.
 
“You okay, Dee?” Ted asked, now standing just inside the office. “You still look a little pale. You sure you should have come in today? Perhaps you should have taken another day to recover completely.”
 
“I'm fine, thank you,” Dee remarked to the red-headed detective he had worked many years with. “Got the clean bill from the doc yesterday.” He slammed a fist on his desk. “God, I hate that bastard! Fuckin' Rose!”
 
Ted shook his head. “Well, it is unfair when it is an actual case, he still wants to discuss it with only Ryo, even if the two of you are on it. You are also one of his lead detectives for CI. But it'll stop again soon enough,” he tried to assure Dee. “It's not as if the Commissioner stands a chance with Ryo.” He smirked with amusement.
 
“Fuckin' straight, he doesn't,” Dee snapped.
 
“Then why should you get all bent out of shape over it?” Ted asked.
 
“Because it does,” Dee replied. “I hate that he even tries it.”
 
“Well, being as I'm your friend all these years and all, I really should point out that it's not like Ryo is with you. It should be his choice. Not yours.”
 
Dee shrugged. “I can still hate the bastard and resent his attempts. I have a right. I love Ryo!” Dee paused in his tirade, realizing he let his emotions get away from him. He was thankful he caught himself before he revealed more than Ryo was ready for the others to know. “Well, I do,” he mumbled. “No big secret there.”
 
“You know what, Dee?” Ted asked.
 
“Huh?” Dee looked up.
 
“A little friendly advice here. How long has it been for you? You seriously need to get laid already. So stop the bullshit and finally get someone who's willing and forget about Ryo. And if he changes his mind in the future, then he'll just have to get over it and accept you have normal urges like any healthy male. Unlike Ryo.”
 
“Hey! Don't knock what you don't know,” Dee snapped defensively.
 
Ted shook his head. “Like you'd allow him to get laid by someone else. Especially now that you got him under your roof. He needs to get laid finally too. It's not good being a 30 year old virgin.”
 
“Ryo's had girlfriends before. So what if he didn't sleep around like we do, but he's had a few intimate relationships. So stop knocking him. And quit telling me what I need to do.”
 
Ted shook his head. “Like I do, you mean,” he corrected. “Like you once did. What has it been? Four years now? Going on five? Almost five years with no sex? Man, it's your balls, Laytner. I'll see you around.”
 
“Yeah. It is my balls. Later, dude.” It was a good thing Ted was already halfway out the door, because it was obviously a dismissal from Dee.
 
Dee sat back in his chair with a heavy sigh. He did not know why he should feel so anxious. All he was doing was waiting to make a call and confirm what he already knew. He had no doubt he was pregnant. A wry smile came to his lips. `Guess soon enough, Ted will know it was less than four years.' Ryo was not ready to let everyone know about their relationship yet, but if he was going to stick around and be the other father to the baby, he would have to accept that was going to change.
 
All the changes. That was what had Dee on edge all morning, his nerves getting worse as the time to call grew nearer. He knew he was. Ryo had said if Dee knew he was, then he believed him. That morning when they woke up, they had both talked a bit more. They had affirmed that if they were given the choice, neither of them expected one or the other to purposely get pregnant, but since Dee was, they did not want it any other way. Dee realized there was just that small chance they would tell him it was a false alarm when he called. It might be a relief to them, knowing their lives would not have to undergo drastic changes. Dee shook his head, his hand moving to rest on his abdomen. Now that he had gotten used to the idea of having his and Ryo's baby, he did not want to hear it was a false alarm. That there was no baby. From the way Ryo had been acting all morning, Dee knew Ryo was feeling the same.
 
Dee glanced at the clock. He was now officially waiting for Ryo to get back, since it was after twelve. Another heavy sigh, and he tried to keep himself busy going over one of their cases.
 
Dee realized what made the wait agony. At the moment, life was still normal. When they got out of bed, they went through their normal routine in getting ready for work. It was Ryo's turn to make breakfast, while Dee fought with Bikky to get out of bed and start moving. Dee did make certain he apologized to the boy for his behavior the other day. Bikky had shrugged it off with an “whatever,” and a minute later, leaned closer to Dee to whisper it was not like they never had to deal with Ryo in one of his moods. Dee and Bikky chuckled together. They left for work, dropping Bikky off at school.
 
At work, they had to deal with Chief yelling about something or another, as the Chief's habit. He always found something to yell at. Sometimes he just yelled at them because Dee and Ryo had nothing to be yelled at. That was Chief Smith's way of affection. They stopped in the break room and squad room to mingle with the other detectives before going to their office. The rest of the morning was spent going over cases, and getting reports done. The only difference was how Ryo would look over at him from his desk. It was still a look of love, but something intensified. Something that Dee found himself being drawn into and loving it.
 
One major difference was where his mind would wander to at times, wondering what it would be like to be pregnant, feeling the baby grow in him. All the things they would have to do before then. He found himself already wondering what it would look like? More like him or Ryo? Or a combo of both, and how? He already could not wait to see their baby, hold it in his arms.
 
The moment he made the call and the pregnancy was confirmed, things were going to change. He'd have to make doctor appointments and consultations. He would have to inform his superiors at work, at least. Eventually his friends and co-workers. Of course, he would have to tell Mother. Ryo's aunt would have to know sooner or later. Definitely Bikky, and Carol. He knew most of their friends would be happy for him.
 
There would also be the stares, particularly after it became more apparent that he was one of those men who had gone and gotten himself pregnant.
 
He was bought out of his musings by JJ's voice at the door. “Dee!”
 
Dee jumped, ready to protect himself from another glomping attack from JJ. He was surprised when the small platinum haired detective still stood in the doorway. “They want you downstairs now! They're holding Ryo in interrogation.”
 
“What?!?” Dee was already rushing around his desk to join JJ.
 
As they headed down the hall, JJ explained what he knew. “I don't know everything, but it sounded like some of the uniforms had to pull Ryo off Commission Rose.
 
“And they're holding him in interrogation?” Dee asked, horrified. “What the hell did Ryo do? No, change that. What did Rose do to make Ryo react that way? The slimy bastard, I'll….”
 
“Dee!” JJ grabbed his arm, swinging him around, effectively stopping Dee's tirade. “You need to be calm. They put Ryo there to calm him down. That's why they want you down there. It's not going to help anything if you show up in a rage.”
 
“Yeah. It won't help Ryo any either,” Dee said.
 
“Exactly. I can't see Ryo doing something like that without a good reason. But if you go down there and smash Rose into a pulp, whatever reason Ryo had will go out the window. And both of you on your butts on the sidewalk without your badges. Or worse, ending up behind bars.”
 
“I know, I know. You're right. Calm. Me. Yeah right.”
 
“You can do it, Dee. For Ryo, you can.”
 
Then Dee remembered all the times in the last almost five years when he had found himself just that - the calm one to balance Ryo's temper. `Forget Rose, just think of Ryo,' he told himself.
 
When he arrived, he was immediately escorted over to an interrogation room. He noticed some of the uniforms standing outside the Commissioner's office. He forced his mind from the man in that office and only on the man on the other side of the door he was being lead to.
 
“Chief Smith is already in there with him,” the uniformed cop was saying to him.
 
“What happened?” Dee asked, running a hand through his hair.
 
“Chief Smith and Detective MacLean will explain.”
 
They stopped before the door, and another cop in uniform standing before it knocked on it. “Chief Smith, Detective Laytner is here.” He opened the door for Dee.
 
“Ryo!” Dee exclaimed, rushing into the room. “What the hell happened?”
 
“Relax, Laytner,” Chief warned him.
 
“I'm as relaxed as I'm going to be, Chief,” Dee replied, going up to Ryo. “Did he….?”
 
Ryo nodded. “After he told me that I was to go with him to LA tomorrow morning to pick up a suspect from one of our cases, Dee. Ours! I told him that you and I should be going, not him. Or even the three of us, if he felt he had to come along and make sure we make the collar.” Ryo's anger few as he spoke.
 
“Calm Randy!” Chief insisted.
 
“Easy baby,” Dee softly said at the same time.
 
Ryo took a deep breath. “Then he….”
 
“Ryo,” Dee said steadily. “You know I believe you. I'm hoping Chief believes you.”
 
“I do, Dee,” the Chief stated. “But I need to make sense out of this. After all, it is Randy's word against the Commissioner. Who has powerful connections.”
 
“Yeah, well, I'd like to take all his legal loopholes and make a noose out of them,” Dee snapped gruffly.
 
“Dee!” Chief roared.
 
“Sorry, Chief,” Dee said in a tone which said he really was not sorry.
 
They heard a chuckle coming from Ryo. “I like that one, Dee. I'll have to remember it,” Ryo said when the two men standing looked at him in question.
 
“It is good, huh?” Dee grinned. “Now, hopefully we have more than just your word?”
 
“Yeah. Here,” Ryo said, reaching into his jacket pocket and pulling out a micro recorder. “I turned it on just before I knocked on his office door.”
 
“And hopefully you turned it off when?”
 
“Before I belted him one.”
 
Smith laughed. It was Dee and Ryo's turn to look at the Chief in question.
 
“Well, all we need is proof that Ryo was provoked. Not how he handled it,” Chief Smith explained.
 
“Everyone seems to know anyway,” Ryo sighed before shrugging.
 
“Did you threaten him?” Chief asked Ryo.
 
“Not his life,” came Ryo's reply.
 
“Do you want to press charges?” Chief asked.
 
Ryo looked at Dee and met his eyes. Dee shook his head the tiniest measure that only Ryo noticed it. Ryo nodded his the same way. He looked back to the Chief. “Commissioner Rose is good when it comes to his job as the precinct administrator,” Ryo replied. “But he oversteps his authority when it comes to some of those under him. Not only has he been making sexual advances at me, but we both believe he has been willfully trying to provoke Dee's temper in attempt to get him fired. Many of the women in this precinct have had more of the Commissioner's attention than they wanted.” Ryo shook his head. “Which doesn't flatter me at all.” His eyes went immediately up to Dee. “If I had thought about him and…. But I didn't. Never.”
 
“I know, Ryo,” Dee said gently. “I also know you never made any overtures to lead the Commissioner on. You told him no a couple of times. One point blank.” Dee was mostly talking so Chief would hear.
 
“I just want the Commissioner to understand that I'm am not interested in him. In fact, I'm very much in love with someone and had been for years. I can assure you, it's not Commissioner Rose,” Ryo admitted. “And my S.O. is uncomfortable with the situation, because I don't hide things that happen between Rose and myself with him.”
 
“Him?” Chief remarked. “Are you saying I've got another one of those in my detectives?”
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. That's what I'm saying.”
 
“Hmm, well, it's not that it's a surprise.” His eyes flicked to Dee. “Did you know about this?”
 
Dee shrugged. “He's my partner. Of course I knew.”
 
Chief folded his arms. Suspicious eyes settled on the two detectives. “Anything else I should know? Especially if this comes to litigation. Which I'm hoping it won't, but damn if I don't want surprises.”
 
Dee looked up, and his eyes ended up resting on a clock. His eyes widened and he suddenly leaned up against the wall.
 
Ryo nodded, watching Dee. His own eyes followed to where Dee was looking. “But I'll tell you at another time soon, Chief.”
 
“It better be. Now, can I trust you to walk out of here and not go off on Rose again?”
 
“Yes Chief.”
 
“Fine. Laytner, I'm giving you both the day off to settle down. Randy, tomorrow morning I want you in my office so we can discuss how we are going to handle this. Meanwhile, I won't approach the Commissioner yet. I want copies of this first. I'd prefer if you and Dee each have a copy, and I want two.”
 
“Thank you, Chief,” Ryo said, standing up.
 
“Yeah, thanks,” Dee said, then his eyes went wide as Ryo took him by his arm and lead him to the door.
 
They went up to their office to gather their coats. Once inside the office, Dee went into a fit, finally letting out what he was holding in downstairs. Ryo let him rant for a few minutes.
 
Finally unable to stand anymore, Ryo called out, “Dee, let's forget about Rose already. Chief has the tape, and he believes me. So let it go for now.” He folded his arms, watching his partner still angrily pace the small confines of their office. “It's not like we didn't see it coming,” he added.
 
“I was just expecting you to deck him again, not do what I want to do to him,” Dee snapped. He stopped his pacing long enough to gaze in concern at Ryo.
 
“I wasn't expecting to go off like that. I most certainly didn't plan it,” Ryo responded, looking down. He felt ashamed of his behavior in the Commissioner's office, yet he still could not shove aside the smug feeling of satisfaction that warred with his shame. “Look Dee, I couldn't stop myself. Once I went into the punch, I knew what I had really wanted to do after all this time.” He shrugged. “I couldn't stop, even after I realized what I was doing. I just couldn't, Dee.”
 
“Obviously,” Dee snapped. He ran his hand through his hair. “That's why I'm really glad I talked you into having that recorder with you at all times.”
 
Ryo sagged against the edge of his desk. “Yeah. I'm glad you did too.” He rubbed his face with his hands, then ran both hands through his hair. “Dee, I'm sorry.”
 
“You're apologizing to me for attacking Rose?” Dee let out a snort.
 
“For worrying you because I overdid it. I know what you must have been feeling on your way down there from the look on your face when you entered the interrogation room.
 
“Well, shit, Ryo! I have JJ coming in here saying they were holding you in interrogation. I had several images flash through my mind that I never want to have again.”
 
“And that's what I'm apologizing for.” Ryo got his stubborn look on his face. “I am not apologizing for what I did to Rose, no matter how wrong I know it was. You're right, Dee. I should have just cracked him one. But….” Ryo let out a ragged breath. “He picked the wrong day and the wrong time to pull that on me. I might as well be in your position because I'm just a bundle of nerves until we figure out what we're doing to adjust. And we can't until you make that damn call. So drop it already, Dee and pick up the phone.”
 
Dee ran his hand through his hair. “I know. I know. I was all anxious to get it over with already. Thought I had accepted it. But my God, Ryo! Once I pick up that phone, it's going to be real. And it's scaring the crap out of me like nothing has before.”
 
“Having second thoughts?” Ryo asked sweetly.
 
“No. But it makes it no less scary. Especially knowing I'm going through with this.” Dee hugged himself as he dropped into his chair. “Ryo, I'm terrified,” he admitted in a small voice.
 
Ryo jumped up from his seat and crossed the small distance to Dee. He placed his arms around his partner and hugged him. “I know, baby,” he spoke softly. “I understand. I have to admit, I feel the same way.”
 
“Which is what set you off with Rose, huh?” Dee asked, lifting his head, his eyes meeting Ryo's. The thought of the Commissioner bought the fire back in his green eyes that told of his hatred for the man who was his superior officer.
 
“Exactly.”
 
“Look, why don't we get out of here now before Chief changes his mind about the rest of the day?” Dee asked, now hugging Ryo.
 
“Good idea. I like suddenly having the afternoon off. We need it more than Chief realizes.”
 
“Yeah. Are you sure you didn't do that just to give us the time off?” Dee asked jokingly.
 
Ryo gave Dee a teasing smile. “I'll never tell,” he remarked.
 
Dee laughed, pulling him closer for a kiss. When they parted, Dee exclaimed, “I love you, Ryo.”
 
“I love you, Dee. Now,” he stated, standing up and taking Dee's hand to pull him from his chair. “Grab what you want to take and let's get out of here. If you don't mind, I have somewhere I want us to go.”
 
“Where?” Dee asked.
 
“Do you trust me?” Ryo asked, going over to his desk, and looking over his shoulder to Dee and making sure he was getting ready instead of just standing there.
 
Dee nodded. “A surprise?”
 
“A very pleasant one,” Ryo replied, grabbing a few file folders and placing them into his briefcase. He was reaching for their coats when Dee joined him. “Come on, love,” he said, stealing a brief kiss before opening the office door.
 
 
*** *** ***
 
Ryo had taken them to the park that was near the house Dee and Bikky had been held in during their first case together over four years before. Holding Dee's hand, he lead them to stand before a tree.
 
“Time to make your call, Dee,” Ryo announced, his eyes shining.
 
Dee stared at the tree, then down at a spot in the dirt by the tree trunk. “You want me to call here?” he asked in a whisper.
 
“Yes,” Ryo replied, then pulled Dee in for a hug.
 
“I didn't think you remembered.” Dee shook his head in amazement, a smile coming to his mouth.
 
“How could I forget? You kissed me for the first time here. That kiss got my mind thinking about things I had worked hard to forget about until then. It was the start of a time of turmoil and unbalance for me,” Ryo smiled. “But at the same time, my life changed for the better and continued to get better.” He moved his head to softly kiss Dee's lips. “Because you were in my life,” he whispered against Dee's slightly parted mouth. “I had no idea back then that I would be so happy with my life as I am now. And so in love.”
 
Dee gripped him tighter and the kiss he gave Ryo was filled with the love and passion he felt for his partner. “I know how you feel. I knew I wanted you, but damn if it didn't turn out better than I had hoped.”
 
Dee understood the significance of Ryo taking him there. Once Dee called, their lives would go through a period of turmoil and unbalance. But they had each other, and they were having a baby. “Let's do this, baby,” Dee said, finding he was not so scared and confused at that moment.
 
They settled against the tree trunk, Dee sitting between Ryo's legs with Ryo's arms around him, holding him close. His lover's head rested on his shoulder, his cheek touching his. Dee made the call.
 
It still felt like a dream as he heard the voice on the other side state, “Mr. Laytner, the tests are 100% you are pregnant.”
 
Dee shut his eyes and bit his lip. It was real now.
 
He felt Ryo hug him tighter and kiss his cheek. “Yes?” Ryo asked, with a tinge of excitement in his voice.
 
Dee nodded, afraid to speak at the moment, fearing if he did, he would start crying.
 
“Is congratulations in order, Mr. Laytner? Or should I make an appointment for you to review your options?”
 
“N-no…” Dee replied hoarsely. “No options. Thanks for the congratulations.”
 
“Then let's set up a time for your first consultation, shall we? The sooner, the better, because you will meet your MOP and receive everything you need as you prepare the start of this blessed journey.”
 
“Yes,” he replied, resting his head against Ryo, reaching up with his free hand to caress his lover's cheek as he felt Ryo's lips on his cheek. “It is blessed.”
 
He set up an appointment for the next afternoon. While on the phone, he also made an appointment for Ryo to go in for the carrier test in within a few hours that day. Dee was given instructions until his appointment, which included several smaller meals through the day and ways to combat `morning sickness'.
 
He put away the phone to find himself being kissed very thoroughly by a very excited and ecstatic Ryo. He gave to the kiss as much as he got until they had to break apart before things went further than they would have liked in a public park in the afternoon. They settled to rest against the tree, arms around the other, lost in thought.
 
“I have to tell Penguin,” Dee broke the silence at some point after. “She's… she's going to be shocked, but then I know she'd be thrilled.”
 
“Aunt Elena!” Ryo remarked. “I'm going to have to tell her, Dee. I'm just afraid she'll end up driving you crazy,” he laughed. “She'll be shocked at first too, I'm certain. But then take you under her wing and all. Sorry Dee.” He laughed harder at Dee's chagrined look. “Bikky, of course. He needs to know he's going to have a brother or sister.”
 
“They are going to keel over at work. I'm willing to bet if any of them considered us giving this news, it would be you,” Dee stated with a smirk.
 
“Yeah. After they get up from the floor once they realize that we're a couple,” Ryo replied with a sly grin. He kissed the side of Dee's face, hugging him tightly.
 
Dee laughed. “Oh crap! I know I was hoping that one day we'll can be open at work, but this was not the way I imagined it.”
 
“Yeah. The more I think about it, the more the odds are it should have been me.” Ryo started to frown.
 
“Hey, you should be glad. Not only could it have been you, but it could have been sooner. Much sooner, as in we would not have been ready,” Dee stated pragmatically.
 
“And we are now?” Ryo asked with a gasp. “I mean, if it was me, two years ago or something, I know we would have gotten through somehow. I don't doubt that, Dee.”
 
“Yeah. We would have. But there is no `right' time for an unexpected surprise like this, but we have been together for over two years now. We're living together. We already have a son. And we have room for the baby.” Dee smiled gently at Ryo, moving his head for another sweet kiss.
 
Ryo gazed at Dee in amazement as if realizing the implications of what Dee pointed out. “We're settled,” he remarked, then returned Dee's smile.
 
“Yes. We are. Who knows? It seems like the right next step,” Dee said. “Having a baby of our own, that is.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “No. Not the next step, but close enough. Especially with the baby already on the way. But we'll take care of that.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Not now, love. Right now, the next step is to get lunch.” Ryo laughed at Dee's pout. “You didn't eat anything since breakfast. I should have thought of that before we left this morning. You'll need snacks for mid-morning. Some fruit or something. And an afternoon snack too. Dee, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking.”
 
Dee grabbed Ryo and kissed him hard. “Ryo,” he laughed. “Calm down. I'm fine. Really. Yeah, I'm hungry. Yes, I'm thrilled that you are already thinking about the baby's well being, but don't turn into a major mother hen over here. I'm the pregnant one, remember?”
 
“I do,” Ryo said with a fond smile. “Which is why I'm going to nurture you, cuddle you, protect you and love you enough for two.”
 
Dee could only stare into Ryo's eyes, a look of love on his face. “I can't seem to say it enough, babe. So forgive me for getting repetitive. I love you.”
 
“I love you, too, Dee. More than anything.” After another long, lingering kiss, Ryo pulled away. “Now c'mon. You may be eating for two now, but I'm starving too.”
 
Dee laughed and scampered to his feet. They paused for a hug, then together, hand in hand started to walk out of the park.
 
*** *** ***