Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Acceptance ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
 
Chapter 3
Acceptance
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
 
### ### ###
 
12/8/05
 
They still had time to kill after they finished lunch at an ethnic diner that served Slavic style meals. They split platters of kielbasa and pierogi, along with side orders of potato pancakes with apple sauce. By the time they left the diner, they had decided to go over to the orphanage. As far as Dee was concerned Mother Mary Lane, the nun who ran the orphanage Dee grew up in, was his mother. That made her the only living parent between the two men. She deserved to be the first to hear the news and learn she was to be a grandmother.
 
As usual, when they approached the orphanage, even in the new neighborhood the orphanage was moved to, children of all ages came running out from nowhere to pile up on Dee. Ryo handled the overflow of kids, both of them laughing at the children's enthusiasm their appearance created. Dee had a younger child in each arm, while Ryo gave another a piggyback ride, while each of his hands were being grasped by children pulling him along.
 
As expected, word spread quickly and Mother was waiting for them on the front steps. The moment Dee managed to gently divest himself of the last clinging child, she launched onto him, acting as if she did not see him the week before on Thanksgiving.
 
Dee was all smiles as he hugged the woman he called his mother. The elderly nun hugged him back.
 
“Dee! I didn't expect to see you for a few more weeks,” she stated happily.
 
“Well,” Dee started ruefully. “We thought to surprise you.”
 
He had an impish smile on his face as he looked over to Ryo, who laughed before hugging Mother Lane in greeting.
 
“This is a surprise,” she replied, as she greeted Ryo as enthusiastically as she had Dee.
 
“You have no idea how much a surprise,” Dee muttered to himself while Ryo greeted the nun.
 
“Come inside out of this cold,” she offered. “Can I get you both some coffee. Of course I can,” she said breezily. “Why do I even ask?”
 
“Sure Pen.. uh, Mother,” Dee replied, placing an arm around her waist as they entered the new building where she had set up the orphanage. The old building where Dee had grown up had been heavily damaged by an explosion during Ryo's first meeting with Dee's `mother'.
 
Ryo shook his head in amusement and chuckled as she still reached out and tugged his ear in warning. He knew that was coming and did not know why Dee should always act so surprised when it happened.
 
“Ouch!” Dee yelped in pain.
 
“One day, Dee Lane Laytner,” she was saying as they walked through the hallway to her private apartment, “I will get my revenge.”
 
“You do already,” Dee laughed. “Or have you forgotten a pain in the a…neck that I call my son named Bikky? He calls me worse.”
 
“I do not see how I could forget Bikky. He is so like you, Dee,” Mother laughed.
 
Ryo noticed a gleam in her eyes as she gazed at Dee like an adoring mother with a secret only a mother would know.
 
“She as a point,” Ryo had to agree with a laugh.
 
Dee rolled his eyes. “I hate when you're right sometimes,” he muttered.
 
She sat them down and busied herself making their coffee while they talked about what they had done since the week before. Dee and Ryo told her they were planning on taking Bikky out that night to pick out their Christmas tree and do their decorating.
 
“He gets so excited,” Ryo stated with a smile. “I never realized what I might have been doing to him those first two years when I did not decorate for the holidays.”
 
Dee took Ryo's hand. “Aw baby. It was never your favorite time of the year.”
 
“Now it is. Thanks to you and Bikky. And now…” Ryo stopped himself.
 
Mother came over to the table and set the coffee mugs before them, then sat down.
 
“Mother, there is a reason why we came here to see you today,” Dee said after taking a small sip of his coffee.
 
“What is it, my son?” she asked. Her eyes settled on Dee.
 
“What?” Dee asked. There was something about her gaze. The type of gaze that in the past she had always said something surprising to him. The first time it happened was when he went to her to admit he was bisexual. She not only was understanding, but did not really seem surprised at all.
 
“There's something different about you today, Dee,” she replied, resting her chin on her hands. “A very good different. So I am blessed with having you both here today because why?”
 
Dee looked over to Ryo. Now that they were there and had her attention, he realized he did not rehearse what he was going to say. Dee decided it was just as well. He was always the blunt type of a person. Mother knew that more than anyone else, since she was the woman who raised him.
 
Dee took a deep breath as he reached for Ryo's hand again. “Mother, we going to have a baby,” he simply announced.
 
Mother looked across the table, her eyes sparkling. They went to Ryo first, then went over to Dee. “That's why… Oh!” She stood up suddenly, a big smile on her face, her clasped hands before her mouth. “Dee? You?”
 
Dee nodded, his eyes meeting his mother's. He knew she would be thrilled. “Yeah, Mother. Me. You're going to be a grandmother.”
 
“I mean, you're… Never mind. Forget all this babbling from a silly old woman. Of course you are. Oh Dee! My Dee!” She rushed over to him and hugged him. “I am so happy for you!”
 
Dee moved so the excited nun could hug him more comfortably. He placed his arms around her and held her tightly. “Thank you, Mother,” he said into her shoulder. “Thank you for everything.”
 
When she finally pulled away from Dee, she went over to Ryo, embracing him. “Thank you too, my son. You have no idea how much joy both of you have just given me. So much more than you normally do,” she gushed.
 
Dee laughed when he was finally able to see Ryo's face. For the first time since he told Ryo he was pregnant, he watched Ryo blush. He went to take another drink of his coffee when suddenly Mother dashed away from Ryo and snatched the coffee away from him.
 
“What?” Dee asked, stunned.
 
“You shouldn't be drinking that,” she explained. “Now sit back and tell me all about your plans while I make you a nice cup of tea. I know I have some herbal tea here somewhere.”
 
“What was I thinking?” Ryo asked, annoyed. “She's right, Dee. Am I crazy? Letting you drink that coffee today.”
 
“They told me I can have a cup or two a day. For now at least. If that changes they will tell me at my exams,” Dee explained. He looked over to Mother, who was staring at him. “When I got my results from the doctor today, they told me some do's and don'ts until my consultation appointment tomorrow. And I'm allowed to have coffee in moderation.”
 
“Why don't you stop until they examine you and know for sure you can drink it?” Ryo asked, starting to frown.
 
“Now don't you go getting that look on your face,” Dee warned.
 
“Dee, are you still smoking?” Mother asked him, placing a tea bag in a clean mug.
 
“Well. Technically yes. But I've cut down a lot. I mean really cut down,” Dee replied.
 
“You know, come to think of it, I haven't seen you smoke all day,” Ryo observed, sounding impressed and slightly surprised.
 
“I had one this morning when you were showering, and one late morning,” Dee admitted. “And I had only one yesterday after I found out I might be pregnant. Honestly, I am trying. But it's hard.”
 
Ryo nodded. “Just make sure that's mentioned in your consultation. I'm sure they can recommend something to make it easier.”
 
“Here you go, dear,” Mother remarked, placing the mug before Dee.
 
Dee stared down at the mug cautiously, while Ryo laughed.
 
“It won't kill you, Dee,” Ryo said, amused. He could not remember the last time Dee had drank hot tea. Iced tea, yes, but not hot tea.
 
“But I don't like tea,” Dee said.
 
“You'll get used to it,” Mother replied, going to tug his ear.
 
“No! Ow! Hey, I'm going to have my own child now. Think that makes me a bit too old for this?” Dee asked.
 
“Never,” came the reply. She released his ear to pat his cheek. “Because you'll always be my darling boy.”
 
“Sheesh,” Dee muttered. “Okay. Because you made this for me, I'll drink it,” he conceded. He looked up at her and could not help return the smile she gave him.
 
Dee took a careful sip, then looked over at Ryo, who was drinking his coffee. “He still has coffee,” Dee pointed out.
 
“That's because I'm not pregnant,” Ryo snapped back playfully and took an extra long drink.
 
“You're evil sometimes,” Dee remarked. He let out a heavy sigh. “I'm going to go crazy by the time this baby is born,” he admitted.
 
“You'll do just fine, Dee,” Mother assured him. “Because you'll do what's right for your child.”
 
“I'll do my best.”
 
“That's good enough. Because when you are not doing what is right, I know Ryo will remind you and make sure that is corrected.”
 
Ryo nodded. “Definitely.”
 
“You both could come out of this healthier,” she commented.
 
“Hey wait,” Dee complained. “I'm pretty healthy now.”
 
Ryo just looked confused, wondering what he was doing that was unhealthy.
 
“Well, for one thing,” Mother explained patiently, her hands clasped before her on the table, “no more smoking. Which also means no second hand smoking for Ryo. And Ryo, my son, I think you can curb your caffeine intake at least while around Dee to make it easier on him.”
 
“I didn't think about that,” Ryo remarked, looking guilty. “But you're right, Mother. I should be more understanding to Dee and not do things he can't around him.” He pushed his coffee cup away. “Do you mind if I also have some tea?”
 
“With pleasure, my son,” she laughed cheerfully. “Dee, would you like yours refreshed?”
 
Dee looked down into his mug to noticed it was almost empty. He rolled his eyes. “Why me?” he asked the ceiling.
 
Ryo laughed, while Mother smiled at him as she took their mugs away from them.
 
*** *** ***
12/8/05
LATER THAT DAY
 
“Are you certain you want to do this tonight?” Ryo asked Dee as they entered the apartment they shared.
 
“Yeah. Bikky needs to know.”
 
“I know. But if you're tired or too stressed, we can wait until tomorrow,” Ryo tried to reason.
 
Dee sat down on the couch and stretched. “Chances are I'll be tired and stressed tomorrow too. And the day after that, and the next day. What are we going to do then? Wait until Bikky asks if I'm getting fat?” His eyes opened wide at his last statement. “Oh God, Ryo! I'm going to get fat.”
 
Ryo sat down next to Dee, placing his arms about the suddenly distraught man. “Relax. It's not fat. It's being pregnant. With a child. Our child. Stop stressing over it. You won't be showing for at least another two months. If you're lucky maybe three.”
 
“Then I can start stressing, right?” Dee asked.
 
“We'll talk about it then,” Ryo replied with a fond smile as he pushed the hair back from Dee's face.
 
“Fine.”
 
He settled in Ryo's arms, as they quietly snuggled together on the couch for a while.
 
Fifteen minutes later, Dee pulled out of the embrace after giving Ryo a kiss. “I'm going to go take a nap until Bikky gets home. I should be good to go then.”
 
“That will work. I'll wake you when dinner is ready. Okay?”
 
“Yeah.” Dee put his arm around Ryo's neck and pulled him close for another kiss. “I can't believe we still have a couple of hours until Bikky gets home and all I can think about is sleep,” he said with a wry smile.
 
Ryo rubbed his nose against Dee's, smiling gently. “I'm sure you won't be sleeping every time we're alone. This is you we're talking about.”
 
Dee laughed softly. “Yeah. You're right.” He kissed Ryo again, then stood up. “Later, love.”
 
 
Ryo sat back on the couch and watched Dee head toward the bedroom. “Dee, if you need something or feel sick, let me know. Okay?”
 
“I will,” Dee assured then resumed his walk to the bedroom.
 
When he heard the bedroom door close, Ryo put his head back against the cushion of the couch and closed his eyes, sighing heavily. Now that he had a moment to himself, he did not know which thought to focus on. So much had been going through his head all day. The only thing he was certain of was now that it was confirmed Dee was pregnant, he would do everything within his power to assure his partner would not regret his decision to go through with it.
 
Too much had happened in the last 24 hours. They both were going to be biological fathers. It was different than when Ryo decided to take Bikky in at least temporary, and his later decision to keep him. It was not the same as when he decided to go ahead with the adoption proceedings. He was only a little surprised that when he had told Dee about that decision, Dee had asked if it could be a joint adoption. Upon the finalization of the process, Dee had the opportunity to expand his apartment and solved the question of their looking for a bigger place so they could move in together and live like the family they were.
 
Now their family was expanding.
 
It was the last thing Ryo was expecting of either of them. Especially Dee. They had only switched one night. One night in two years, and now Dee was pregnant with his child. Having the chance to think about it, Ryo was surprised he was not turning into a basket case. There was no question that any child that was a result of his and Dee's love would be bought into the world and loved. He knew that the moment he came out of his shock when Dee had told him the night before. He was relieved to hear Dee's decision, but again once he thought about it, he understood that was the only choice Dee had. Being abandoned as a baby and found in an alley by the man Dee came to think of as his father, Dee would never give up his child. Nor would Dee choose not to give the baby a chance at life. The initial decision on Dee's part was immediate and had nothing to do with Ryo. That it was Ryo's baby only affirmed what Dee had already decided.
 
Ryo's immediate response came from realizing that a life was formed from him and Dee. He found he already loved the tiny embryo. He found a growing need to protect that embryo as it became their child within Dee, and then after when he could hold the baby in his arms, watch it grow. He was feeling more protective over Dee too.
 
He allowed his thoughts to wander through the past day. Dee was still basically his usual self, especially around the others at work, but there were a few moments when finding himself alone or just with Ryo, Dee would suddenly seem vulnerable. Ryo happened to walk in on one of Dee's solitary moments. Dee knew it was useless to try denying it, and allowed Ryo to hold him behind the locked door of their office.
 
Ryo smiled softly as a thought struck him. In the last few days, when what they now knew was morning sickness hit him, Dee was pretty vulnerable then too. Ryo found he had already taken on the role of protector, looking after Dee when he was not feeling well. It was the natural thing to do.
 
As it had always been between then, when one of them needed someone to take care of him. Usually it would be Ryo who needed it, but when Dee was sick or injured, Ryo gladly took care of Dee. When there was no need, Dee just assumed the role of protector anyway. That was just his nature, being an alpha male. An alpha male who got pregnant.
 
It was not an impossibility, but it was most certainly a rarity. Dee, it was believed, was an alpha male from personality only, coming to be because of his background. He was once a sickly child who was picked on. At the very tender age of 6, Dee had learned how to overcome his weaknesses, or at least hide them to protect himself. It was the start of what became Dee's most dominant traits in his personality. He never lost his soft side, his vulnerability. He just learned to hide it well, trusting no one to see it, except for Mother and later in life, Ryo. Mother and Ryo had learned to read Dee enough that when he still attempted to hide it from them, they still knew, and would know what to do to get Dee to stop pretending that there was nothing wrong. For a short while during those times, Ryo would be the shoulder for Dee to lean on and he would be the strong one. The rest of the time, Ryo was quite assured with his masculinity to allow Dee to assume the role.
 
Had Dee been an alpha male because of hormones, he never would have been able to become pregnant, even if he was a carrier. While Dee's testosterone level was high enough to help contribute to his dominating nature, it was not high enough to prevent eggs from being produced. Not as regularly as a normal carrier, but eggs were produced. Ryo tried to imagine the odds of that one time he was the sexually dominant one, there was an egg waiting for him to fertilize.
 
It made Ryo believe less in coincidence.
 
Ryo also considered how he had learned about personalities and testosterone levels - as a result of his own carrier testing. He was told he was a carrier, but produced no eggs. His testosterone level was just a bit too high to produce them. He was assured that he had a few more years that should he decide to have a child himself, he could undergo treatments. He was warned that there was a chance the treatments would not work, but it was an option. Until then, there was no need for Ryo to start undergoing birth control shots.
 
Dee knew Ryo was a carrier who did not produce eggs, but not why. Nor did he ask. So Ryo was not willing to be quick on explaining. One day. When Ryo felt Dee was able to handle it. They did not linger long on the topic of options for Ryo. Obviously Ryo was not going to try to get himself pregnant at the moment. They had the child already conceived to concentrate on. Then when the baby was born, Dee would be going on birth control shots and their family would consist of two children - Bikky and their yet unborn child.
 
Ryo had other things to think about. Back in their office, the thought just came to Ryo to take Dee to the tree where Dee first kissed him over four years before. When the thought fluttered through Ryo's mind, it felt right. So he went with it. He was right. He saw what it had meant to Dee.
 
The other thought that was still in his mind felt right too. Ryo was going to see to doing that too. He still had more planning to do, but he had already set his mind on proposing to Dee on Christmas. He would leave it up to Dee when they would get married - before or after the baby. So long as they got married, that was all that mattered to Ryo. Things could get pretty hectic should Dee decide he wanted to get married before he started to show. Thank goodness theirs would not be a large scale wedding. He doubted anyone from his family, except his Aunt Elena and maybe his Uncle Rick and their kids, would want to come.
 
Ryo's smile turned positively evil as he continued to think. He'd send them all invitations for formality of course. If those old biddies wanted to talk about something, that would give them enough to flap their lips over. The way they dared to talk about his parents' at his dad's funeral! It still infuriated him, even if the news of his parents' deaths being the case of mistaken identity, and his parents' names cleared did reach his family. No one lifted the phone to apologize to him.
 
Well, he'd give them something to talk about all right. He'd let them talk all they wanted, and he'd be damn proud of it too. Especially when they will find out that he was also going to be a father as well. With the man he was going to marry. His father's family still had the ability to be close-minded and behind several steps of the world around them. They still supported the politicians who wanted to repeal the law that allowed same sex marriages.
 
Those politicians used the Bible as their platform, in a country that was founded and thrived on religious freedom. Mother Lane had summed it up best, if only those fools in power would take notice. If God did not want two men to form a union, then why did he give them the ability to love? Or so she had explained to Dee when he went to her, afraid of what she might have to say about his being bisexual, but being close enough to her to keep no secrets from her. Dee had told him about it shortly after the first time Ryo had met that incredible woman, after they were assured she was recovering from her injuries when the bomb exploded. Ryo had the opportunity to hear it himself shortly after they told her they had become lovers.
 
Ryo decided he would take great delight in showing his family that without their help, he had done quite nicely in life on his own. He did not need them. He had his own family now - Dee, Bikky and their unborn child. He had his Aunt Elena and Uncle Rick, along with their two children. He had Carol. And he had Mother Lane. Then there were all the children at the orphanage. Dee and him contributed often in assuring their lives were happy despite living in an orphanage.
 
Ryo was feeling like a very lucky man.
 
Ryo decided to take out a book and read a little before he would check in on Dee. Then he would start on dinner.
 
His reading was interrupted by the phone ringing. He quickly jumped up to answer it, not certain if Dee had turned off the phone in the bedroom and not wanting to wake him.
 
“Hello,” he answered the phone.
 
“Ryo, my darling,” Diana Spacey's voice greeted him. “I hear you went from playing Sandra Dee to acting like Dee.”
 
“Diana,” Ryo chuckled. “I thought my Sandra Dee days were long gone,” he teased her. “But I'm guessing you heard about today.” He sat down in the recliner him and Dee had decided to get during a shopping spree in IKEA after moving in together.
 
“I most certainly did. Oddly enough, Berks believes he was in the right.”
 
“And you think?” Ryo asked, amused.
 
“That the man needs to get over you already and get on the program. The man is totally blind that the perfect person is just waiting for him.”
 
“I would assume that perfect person would be you.”
 
“Of course it would be, sweetie-pie. Who else do you know that is perfect?”
 
“Oh, I know a couple of guys who are perfect. But not for the Commissioner, thank you very much.”
 
The vivacious FBI agent broke out in laughter. “It's always a pleasure talking to you, Ryo. But I do want your side of it.”
 
“Confidentially or on the record?” Ryo asked carefully.
 
“You've been learning too much from your loverboy there, darling one. Confidentially, of course. Or else you'd be finding your darling sweet tush in the interrogation room again.”
 
“I guess I overdid it a little. But I just got a few good punches in. I didn't try to kill him or anything, like the uniforms made it out to be when they pulled me out of his office.”
 
“So you slugged him for attempting to kiss you, or did he get another one in?”
 
“He would have gotten a kiss in if my fist didn't connect with his jaw,” Ryo explained. “This was after he was making it an order that I leave with him tomorrow morning for LA.”
 
“And then?”
 
“I declined.”
 
“But you just said he made it an order.”
 
“An order that I'm afraid I had no other option but to tell him he could go to hell because I was not going with just him. The case belonged to me and Dee. If any two should be going, it should be the two of us. If Rose feels that he needs to be there to baby-sit his best two detectives in case we screw up, that's fine. But it still should have been Dee and I.” Ryo's voice was firm as he spoke.
 
“You're right. I sent those two tickets for you and Dee. If Berkley wanted to come along, he should have bought his own plane ticket and made his own reservations. Especially since I had the hotel reservation for one single queen.”
 
“Oh!” Ryo felt his face flush with anger. He jumped up from the chair and started to pace around the living room. “That bastard!”
 
“I hate to agree with you, feeling as I do for him, but I do. So after you told him he could go to hell, and refused his orders, he decided to kiss you?”
 
“Yeah. He launched into this speech about how I need to forget a loser like Dee and if I allowed him to, I would see I'd be better off with that bastard. Then he pushed me against his desk and tried to kiss me. I didn't even think. I just launched a punch aimed for his jaw and knocked him on his ass.”
 
Diana laughed again. “Oh Ryo! You are so delightful when you lose your temper!” she exclaimed loud enough that Ryo had to move the phone from his ear a little.
 
“I don't think Rose would say that.”
 
“Neither would I,” Ryo heard a sleepy voice from behind him. He turned to find a pale Dee moving from just behind him to carefully sit down on the couch. He slouched back against the cushions, his hands on his stomach.
 
“Hold on, Diana.” He covered the phone and looked down at Dee. “Are you feeling okay?”
 
Dee shook his head. “Feeling nauseous. Bad enough to wake me up.”
 
“Hey Diana, could you call me back later if you want more on what happened? Dee's not feeling well.”
 
“Dee's a big boy, Ryo. He doesn't need to play helpless just so he doesn't have to do anything for himself,” Diana teased.
 
“Diana,” Ryo said, the warning strong in his tone, “maybe I should add that after I walloped Rose, he got up and started in on Dee, about what a loser he thought he was, how he can't do anything right and depends on others to do everything for him. Which is so far from the truth, it's not funny. And it pissed me off. More than usual, because Dee isn't feeling well at the moment. That's when I decided to use him as a punching bag.”
 
“Oh!” Diana sounded shocked. “Ryo, is Dee okay? Are you saying that something is wrong?”
 
Ryo sat down next to Dee, who was looking pale and placed his free arm around Dee's shoulders, pulling him close. “Nothing life threatening,” Ryo said. “But it's not something that will go away in the next few days.”
 
“Does that mean Dee's not up to traveling tomorrow?” she asked.
 
“Diana, it's too soon for both of us to leave to travel across the country for who knows how long. That's what I told Rose as my first reason to decline. I have Bikky to think about. We need to make arrangements for him if we're going to be gone for a few days. And tomorrow Dee and I have things that we need to do.”
 
“The case?” Dee asked into Ryo's shoulder.
 
“Yeah. Diana says she sent the plane tickets to the Commissioner for the two of us to go out to LA. She still wants us to go.”
 
“You can go,” Dee replied, lifting his head. “Without Rose. I'll take care of what I need to do tomorrow and work out something for Bikky to be taken care of while we're gone and I could meet you the next day.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Diana, is it possible for Dee and I to leave on Saturday or Sunday?”
 
“Are you certain Dee could handle it? I mean, if he's sick, then….”
 
“Dee can still do his job,” Ryo assured. “Just as long as he takes it easy when the… spells hit him.”
 
He watched Dee smirk and chuckle before resting his head on his shoulder again.
 
“Fine. I'll let you know the new arrangements when I have them. I'll deal directly with you and Dee on this from this point on. Meanwhile, I'll have the boys over at the LAPD continue to work on this. Did Rose brief you on the situation?”
 
“Only that Sinclair was spotted in downtown Los Angeles and there's witnesses stating that he's moved his drug operation there.”
 
“I guess Berks was too busy thinking about all the nice things you two could do together while waiting to make a move on him, huh? What are you going to do about the situation anyway?”
 
“I have to meet with Chief Smith early tomorrow morning. We're going to go over everything that had happened and come up with a game plan. I really don't want to make anything public out of it. To be honest, Rose is the best thing to happen to the 27th administration-wise and it'll be a shame to lose him. He just needs to curb himself when it comes to some things.”
 
“Perhaps we should start operation Cupid,” Dee suggested.
 
“Excuse me?” Ryo asked.
 
Dee shrugged. “Look, Diana played her part in getting us together. I think it's time to return the favor, and it will help us in the process. Maybe once Rose is happy with her, we all have a chance of harmony at work.”
 
“I don't believe I'm hearing you say this,” Ryo remarked. “But I like it.”
 
“I don't believe that was Dee myself,” Diana laughed. “But I totally love the thought.”
 
“We'll see what we can do,” Dee said, leaning to speak into the phone, pressing his head against Ryo's.
 
“Thank you, Dee,” Diana said. “Well, I'll be sure to call Chief Smith tomorrow morning and let him know that those plane tickets were supposed to be for you and Dee. I'll leave out the part of about reservations. I'll also inform him that when I have new arrangements, you'll both be coming out this way to close this case out. Should we have to make a move on him before you get out here, you'll still have to come out to bring him back to New York because he's still supplying to the same area. He just changed his base of operations. This one's still your case to close.”
 
Ryo tightened his hold on Dee. “We should be able to work something out now that we have some advance warning,” he said into the phone. Dee nodded his agreement.
 
“Ryo, do you foresee any trouble with the Chief?” She sounded concerned.
 
“No. He believes me that it was provoked. And we have proof,” Ryo replied.
 
“What proof? A witness?”
 
“Confidential,” Ryo remarked as a reminder.
 
“Of course,” she assured him. “This entire phone call is.”
 
“Chief doesn't want the Commissioner to know until he meets with him after we talk tomorrow,” Ryo explained, “,but Chief has a tape of what happened while I was in Rose's office. We're hoping to settle this under the table. Besides, with him being the Commissioner, this could get dragged through all the press if it has to be settled any other way.”
 
“I agree. That could be bad for Berkley and you. You don't want to go that way, Ryo. I'm glad you're not. Is Dee pushing for pressing charges?” Diana asked.
 
“No,” Dee answered for himself. “I'm not. I already thought of that. Ryo's career could be ruined even if he was the victim. I won't allow that to happen. Besides, believe it or not, I am in agreement about how Rose runs the budget and all that other stuff. He needs to learn how to stay behind his desk and continue that job, leave the detective work to his detectives, lay off Ryo and finally get his shit together with you. He can do all that, I might even admit he's an okay guy.”
 
“Dee, you really aren't feeling well,” Diana gasped.
 
Ryo laughed, running his fingers through Dee's hair. Dee still looked a little pale, but the phone call with Diana seemed to be distracting him at the moment. “Dee's going to be just fine, Diana,” Ryo remarked tenderly, smiling at his partner. “We'll give you the lowdown when we get out to Los Angeles. Okay?”
 
“That's a deal. I'll talk to you tomorrow night or the next day. In the meantime, take care of yourself and Dee.”
 
“Definitely,” Ryo replied. “See you, Diana.”
 
“I'll see you both in a few days.”
 
He listened as she hung up the phone. Turning off the phone, he placed it on the coffee table and hugged Dee. “Feeling any better, love?”
 
“A little. Still queasy though,” Dee replied.
 
“We don't have any crackers, but I can make you some toast.”
 
Dee shook his head. “Nah. I'm too comfortable right now for you to move.”
 
Ryo smiled. “Okay. We'll stay like this, but if you start feeling worse, or need to get to the bathroom….”
 
“If I need to get to the bathroom, you'll know,” Dee warned him with a smirk before settling his head on Ryo's shoulder again.
 
A few minutes later, Ryo realized that Dee had drifted off to sleep. Carefully, Ryo picked up his book and still holding onto Dee, settled back and went back to reading. He fell asleep not long after.
 
That was how Bikky found them when he came home from basketball practice, expecting dinner to be ready.
 
 
### ### ### ### ### ###
 
A/N: I just want to take a moment to thank those who reviewed this so far. It means a lot to see your reviews on a fic I hesitated to post. To be honest I'm not really into mpreg myself. But when a story wants to be written, I can't ignore it. It turned out to be a lot of fun writing, even if it seems strange at times.
 
I should explain how I settled on the title “The Unexpected”. It's not only because Dee and Ryo find themselves with an unexpected surprise. So far all the FAKE mpreg I've come across, it becomes pretty much `expected' that it will be Ryo. So to come across a fic where it's Dee, would be pretty much… “Unexpected”. And my Dee muse is being just wonderful about it, too. And my Ryo muse is just happy as all get out that it's not him this time.
 
I just completed the first story and starting the second. I didn't want to do a quick, `he's pregnant - he has the baby' type story. The Dee muse wants to play a while, and Dee's so cute, I can't resist his muse. So I decided to select certain times in each trimester leading up to the birth. Each trimester will be it's own story in the timeline. That's why this is “The Unexpected I”. Whether I take it after the birth will depend on… well, on if I get requests for it. I have some ideas jotted down, but that will be it until this baby gets born.
 
I should add I could not get a beta reader, so any mistakes are clearly mine. If there's someone who has the time, desire and has beta experience who wants to take on the task, please let me know.