Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ A Rose Is Cut Down ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
 
Chapter 5
A Rose Is Cut Down
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ###
 
12/9/05
 
Chief Warren Smith sat in his office. On his desk were copies of the tape Ryo had given him the day before and the two plane tickets that the FBI agent, Spacey, had called him earlier that morning instructing him to pick up from the Commissioner's office.
 
His time with the Commissioner was limited, but long enough to hear his superior make cutting remarks on how Laytner had finally succeeded in corrupting his mild-mannered, even tempered partner.
 
Chief Smith had to shake his head on the thought. Randy MacLean, otherwise known around the precinct as Ryo, thanks to Laytner, was for the most part mild-mannered and even tempered. Chief Smith had worked with MacLean on a regular bases for almost five years and also knew how MacLean could react when something did not sit well with him. It was a common fact that you did not provoke MacLean. If by chance someone managed to push too far with him, he had proven to have more of a fire in his temper than his normally hot-heated partner, Dee Laytner. Dee for the most part was all bark but no bit. Ryo, when pushed, could bite very hard.
 
The Commissioner did have enough proof of that. So why did he push as he had? Surely he had to have seen the warning signs. Listening to the tape and only hearing MacLean's voice, Chief caught the warnings quite clearly. He understand why the first punch was thrown. He was also able to understand why MacLean landed the multiple punches after Rose had gone into a running commentary bad mouthing Laytner. Some of the things the Commissioner had stated might not have made sense to the chief, if he did not have his own suspicions that feelings between the two partners ran deeper than the average partners. He had been turning a blind eye on the possibility because MacLean and Laytner made a damn fine team. One of the best teams the Chief had seen in his career. They were his Lead Detectives, and he had no intention of splitting them up. So he looked the other way, hoping that when he could no longer do that, he had a sound reason for still keeping them together.
 
However, there was something else about what Smith listened to that put him on edge. From what he had on the tape, MacLean most likely could get away with giving his Commissioner a black eye and a busted lip. It was the edge to MacLean's voice as he defended his partner that Chief found odd. It was something that the chief never noticed before no matter how angry MacLean would get. The edge was still there when Smith had entered the interrogation room to speak to his detective. There was something else missing the day before from MacLean's usual outbursts of any degree. No matter how justified MacLean might have been in the past, once he realized what he had done, he was quick to apologize, or at least sound contrite. That had been missing. By the time he joined his detective, there had been enough time for MacLean to realize what he had done. Smith saw no evidence in MacLean of feeling any remorse.
 
Something was not quite adding up to Chief Smith.
 
He looked up at the knock he heard at his door, then glanced up at his clock. More or less on time. “Come in,” he called out.
 
 
Ryo stuck his head into the opening of the door he held open. “Chief, is it okay if Dee joins us?”
 
The Chief nodded his head, unlit cigarette dangling from his mouth. “Just get in here already,” he waved them in. “I still have questions.”
 
Ryo opened the door fully, then held it while Dee entered, a coffee cup in hand. Ryo followed Dee in, closing the door behind him.
 
“Sit down,” the Chief stated.
 
Dee's sat down, clenching his cup tightly, his eyes on the Chief's cigarette.
 
Ryo glanced at what held Dee's attention. “Chief, please,” he requested. “You can't smoke it in here.”
 
“It still makes me feel better.”
 
Dee snorted. “I don't see how. But it's not making me feel better since I can't smoke.”
 
“If you want, Laytner, you can sit with one like this,” Chief remarked.
 
Dee shook his head, drawing back in his seat. “Thanks, but no thanks.”
 
Ryo continued to glare at the Chief.
 
“All right, all right!” He grabbed the cigarette from his mouth and threw it into his top desk drawer. “Now while what I heard seems to be enough for me, I do have several things I need to have cleared up.”
 
“What are they, Chief?” Ryo asked, sitting properly in his seat.
 
“You said to Dee yesterday that you turned off the recorder just before you hauled into the Commissioner. But I heard you throw that first punch and what happened after.”
 
Ryo nodded. “I meant before I really hauled into him, Chief. That first one I did not have much time to think. I didn't realize it was happening until I felt my fist connect. I'm sorry if I sounded as if I was misleading you, Chief.”
 
“That's fine, Randy. Now this leads me to my next question. While you're apologizing, are you sorry you did what you had yesterday?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I can't.”
 
“There it is again,” Chief mumbled.
 
“There what is?” Ryo asked.
 
“That edge in your voice. You had it as you snapped back to Rose before turning off the recorder, and later in the interrogation room.” He pointed a beefy finger in Ryo's direction. “Something is telling me there is more to all this. And I want to know, just in case. I don't want surprises dealing with Rose. I don't want to be unable to defend you if needed. So spill, MacLean. Tell me everything.”
 
“Chief, that's why I asked if Dee can be here. He's not here just for moral support,” Ryo explained.
 
“Okay. Does this have to do with any of Rose's insinuations? Because it's likely it's going to come out in the end anyway. I'd rather hear it from you.”
 
Ryo nodded, his eyes going to Dee. Dee casually nodded his head without moving from his usual lax position in a chair. He lifted his cup to his mouth and as he took a drink, his eyes looked over the cup and met with Ryo's.
 
“The Commissioner insinuated his way into what was supposed to be reservations for Dee and I,” Ryo started.
 
“I know that much. Spacey called me.” He placed his hand on the plane tickets. “And these were supposed to be used by the two of you later this morning according to Spacey. I hear these tickets are going to be exchanged for a later date.”
 
“Yeah. But there's more,” Ryo stated, starting to look down. “Rose knew about the hotel reservations, which I did not until I spoke to Diana later yesterday.”
 
“So what's the big deal, Randy?”
 
“Chief, Diana made reservations for one room for us. One big bed,” Dee cut in, getting right to the point.
 
The Chief pulled back in his chair. To suspect and to hear, he was once again reminded, can be two different things. “Is this true, Randy?”
 
“Yes Chief. Diana… well, Agent Spacey is one of the few who are aware of the true… relationship between me and Dee.”
 
“So it's true then,” Chief remarked.
 
“Yes. And somehow the Commissioner knows, or at least suspected and tried to get me to admit to it,” Ryo replied. He took a deep breath, then raised his head. “But that's why I asked Dee in here with me. There's more that you need to know. You would have to know soon anyway even if there wasn't yesterday.”
 
“What's that, Randy?” the Chief asked.
 
Ryo smiled. “We're expecting a child,” he announced.
 
Dee almost choked on his drink and stared at Ryo. “Damn, I wasn't expecting you to get to the punch so quickly,” he sputtered.
 
“You okay, Dee?” Ryo asked, leaning over to pat Dee's back.
 
“Yeah. I'm fine. Just stunned.”
 
“You mean you're one of those carriers, Ryo?” Chief asked.
 
Ryo rolled his eyes. “Why does everyone think it's me?” he asked, then chuckled. He looked over at Dee. “Well, feel like one upping me in getting to the point?”
 
“Well… sheesh, this suddenly feels weird,” Dee stated, placing his cup between his legs.
 
It was then that the Chief noticed the liquid in Dee's cup was not usual dark variety. He then noticed the tea bag. “Dee?” the Chief asked.
 
Dee ran a hand through his hair and with a rueful smile, stated, “Yeah, it's me Chief. I'm the one having our baby.”
 
Dee bit his lip to keep from laughing out loud as he watched the stunned Chief seem to fall back even further in his chair, staring at him.
 
“You could understand why we would have been telling you this soon anyway,” Ryo said softly.
 
“Uh, yeah. Well,” the Chief sat forward again, resting his elbows on his desk. “Congratulations, I suppose.”
 
“Thank you, Chief,” Ryo replied.
 
“We just found out for certain after we left yesterday,” Dee offered. “I took the pregnancy test the day before and we were both waiting for when I would be able to call for the results when Rose called Ryo to his office.”
 
Chief's eyes went from Dee to Ryo. “That explains everything,” he muttered. “Is there any problem with Rose learning about this?” he asked the two men before him.
 
Dee shook his head. “Like you, he'll have to know soon enough anyway. I'm going to do my best not to lose too much time until I have to take baby leave, but there still will be times that I won't be up to par for duty. And I'll have to be at appointments and consultations too. In fact, I have one for 11 this morning, so I'm going to have to take an extended lunch today.”
 
“Go ahead, Dee.”
 
“I would like to have Ryo with me,” Dee added.
 
“Of course. You're both excused to take care of that appointment. Thank you for telling me so soon. So that was what has been ailing you, Dee?”
 
“Yeah. I had no idea, but now that I know.” Dee smiled brightly. “I'm glad it happened.”
 
“Good. Well, if there's anything you need, Dee, don't hesitate to ask me. You may be the first male detective I've known to be pregnant, but I've dealt with enough females.”
 
“Thanks, Chief.”
 
“Now that I have the full idea of what really provoked you yesterday, Ryo, tell me what you expect to get out of this. Whatever is in reason, I'll do my best to get out of the Commissioner, in return for my discretion on his infraction to protocol.”
 
“Thank you, Chief.”
 
Ryo leaned forward and with the Chief, along with some input from Dee, worked out a game plan on how the Chief will approach the Commissioner.
 
*** *** ***'
 
Commissioner Rose looked up to the man hovering on the other side of the ornate desk he sat at. “Warren, sit down. Please,” he insisted.
 
Chief Smith shook his head as he folded his beefy arms. The man scowling down at the Commissioner was barely restraining his anger. “I'll stand. Sir.”
 
“I take it you finally sat down with Detective MacLean, which is why you are talking to me now, instead of the silent treatment when you came by earlier.
 
“There's two sides to every story, Commissioner. You should know that. I have a question for you.”
 
“Sure, Warren. Anything you want to ask,” Rose replied.
 
“What are you intending to do to Randy about yesterday's little incident?” the Chief asked.
 
“Nothing,” came the reply. “Unless, of course, Detective MacLean decides he wants to make something out of it.”
 
The Chief's scowl got deeper. “Let me ask you this, then. What if it was Laytner, same situation, same reaction. Would you still do nothing?”
 
Rose sat back in his seat and laughed. “Really, Warren. Laytner would not find himself in the same situation. I can assure you that.”
 
Chief Smith growled. “You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. Bad enough one of my Lead Detectives is being sexually harassed, I will not tolerate two. However, Laytner is still being harassed of a different sort by you.”
 
“All Laytner needs to do is well, start acting like a detective and I'll stop trying to shape him into a decent human,” Rose remarked.
 
“Really, Rose? Is that the way you see Laytner. Let me rephrase the question then. Say, for whatever reason, you decided to corner Laytner and lashed into him with false accusations about MacLean, and he reacts the same way Randy had yesterday. Then what? What would you do to Dee?”
 
Rose stared at the Chief, speechless. He could not come up with an answer quick enough that would not incriminate himself.
 
“I'll tell you what you would have done,” the Chief answered for the Commissioner. “You would have had him disciplined on the spot. That's what. Maybe take his badge. But not for Randy, and we both know why. Randy doesn't appreciate it either. He has made it quite clear in the past, several times at least, that he does not want your favors, nor you.”
 
Chief slammed his large hand on the desk, causing items to rattle and Rose to jump. Rose discovered right then that no one was immune to the fear Chief evoked when he unleashed his fury. He had watched Chief in action many times over the years since he arrived at the 27th, but this was the first time Berkley Rose found himself on the receiving end. He had also thought he was above such a thing.
 
“You were completely out of line, Commissioner,” Chief roared. “Taking the plane tickets sent for my two detectives to use for your own pathetic attempts to woe Randy, making it an order to him that it was to be just you and him. For inquiring about the hotel reservations Agent Spacey had arranged, and replacing Dee's name with yours. Yes, I know about the reservations. Randy told me everything. He held nothing back this time. I have half a mind to file charges against you myself for harassing my detective. The only thing saving your ass is that both Randy and Dee requested I don't. They seem to believe we still need you here.”
 
“Laytner?” Rose sputtered in surprise.
 
“Yes. At least Detective Laytner can admit when someone has their uses, unlike you. So since I am respecting their wishes, and can also understand their reasoning, let's get a few things clear here. MacLean and I came up with a few changes that will happen around here.” He lifted his other hand, clenched in a fist, except for his index finger sticking up. “One, Detective MacLean has made it quite clear he does not want your affections. He has no interest in you romantically and barely can tolerate dealing with you professionally. So back off him!!! I consider the punch he gave for your attempt to kiss him justified.” His middle finger joined his index finger as he counted off. “Two, lay off Detective Laytner. His is my best detective, along with MacLean. I'll determine if he's slacking off and how to deal with it. Which, should point out to you, he hasn't done in a very long time. Over two years, in fact. I don't know why his old reputation still precedes him, except perhaps through others who work hard at assuring he still has it. Put that energy into what you should actually doing and we might actually get the full budget that we keep hoping for year after year.” The next finger went up. “Three, they remain partners, regardless of what goes on in their private life. Four, leave the detective work to my detectives, the police work to the uniforms and concentrate on making sure they all have the funds to do their jobs at the same exceptional level they have been producing these last few years. Is there any questions, Commissioner?”
 
“Quite a list of demands, Chief. Perhaps you and MacLean should go into business writing ransom notes.” Rose smirked. “And if I refuse?”
 
“Refuse to even one, and Detective MacLean will file sexual harassment charges against you. And along with myself, MacLean will convince Laytner to file general harassment charges against you. We both have compiled enough that Dee's case would stick.”
 
“Based on what? Their word? Do you honestly believe that anyone would believe the sexual harassment charges? I could say he came up with them as a means to retaliate against his partner's constant need of being disciplined.”
 
“MacLean's word should be good enough. But just in case….” Chief dropped the tape to land on the surface on the blotter before Rose. “Here, this is yours to listen to. It is only one copy of several.”
 
Rose's mouth dropped open as he stared at the tape. Finally he lifted his head to stare at the Chief. “His first attack may be justified, but his second is not. I have witnesses who will testify that he was attacking me. Do you know what can happen to MacLean's career? I'd prefer not to, but I will do whatever is right to defend myself if he goes that route.”
 
“Your witnesses,” Chief scoffed. “You mean the two uniforms you called into your office to remove Randy? They did not see him strike you. By the time they entered your office he was standing across the office and yelling at you. That is the truth they would state under oath. Not the exaggerated story caused by speculation, rumors and hearsay. But let me ask you this, Commissioner. Have you forgotten what it meant to have a partner? They may have crossed the fine line in their private lives, but professionally they have done nothing more than what partners do when a bond is formed. When you trust that person with your life. Which is just as well, because that is what you do. Your partner is your back-up, your shield, the difference between your life and death. When partners reach that point in automatically knowing the other will be there for him or her, they will react to false accusations about the other and act upon it. Sometimes violently. Because in effect, if you severely insult someone's partner, you are basically insulting that person. MacLean merely reacted as expected after depending on Laytner to watch his back, while he watched Laytner's for over four years.”
 
Rose merely stared at the Chief, watching as the large man removed a paper from his inside jacket pocket and unfolded it.
 
“Randy had more a reason to react as he had yesterday, Commissioner,” the Chief stated, his voice lower. “You picked a wrong time to pull your shit on him. It seems Dee was waiting for the results of a medical exam he took the other day when you called Randy to your office. Randy was watching Dee's back during the wait and being his support. Wanting to be with Dee when the results came back.”
 
Rose drew in a sharp breath and he fell back into his chair. “Medical?” he asked. “What for? Is Laytner okay?”
 
Chief shook his head. “So now you care about Dee? Don't waste the effort if you don't mean it. Nobody wants your pity. Especially Dee. But yes, he is fine it turns out. Very healthy.” Chief's eyes met Rose's. “And pregnant.”
 
Rose's mouth dropped open. “P-pregnant? Laytner?” He shook his head as if to make sense of what he just heard.
 
Chief nodded. “Yes. Detective Laytner is pregnant. He gave me permission to pass this information onto you, because as his Commanding Officer, you have the right to know when one of your detectives will be requiring special needs. He has assured me that he will do his best not to lose too much time, and continue to do his full job for as long as he can.”
 
“The father,” Rose gasped. “The other father is….?”
 
“You know who, Commissioner. But I'll tell you just so we do not have any misunderstandings in the future. Randy MacLean is the other father of Laytner's baby.”
 
“Damn,” Rose mumbled, idly moving the tape across the blotter on his desk with his index finger. “I would never have expected that. Laytner… he's, he's....”
 
“Yeah, he is. Very masculine. Very alpha male. And now, very much pregnant,” Chief replied. “I request that you seriously consider the implications of that, then tell me if it is healthy to attempt trying to come between the two.”
 
Rose picked up the tape, his eye on the paper Chief held. “Would that be your requests in writing, Chief Smith?” he asked.
 
“For you to sign. I'll have copies sent to you this afternoon. If you don't sign, MacLean will be filing charges against you.”
 
Rose shook his head, appearing to be in shock. “No need, Warren. I'll sign.” He shook his head again before glancing up to the Chief, reaching out to take the paper from him. “Dee is pregnant?” he asked again.
 
“That's what I said, sir.”
 
*** *** *** ***
 
“So it appears that Sinclair is still supplying here from his new home base,” Dee stated, looking down at the file consisting of paperwork they had received from the LAPD.
 
Ryo nodded his head, studying his own copy. “Including distribution at the Taft housing.”
 
Dee frowned, leaning back in his seat. He picked up the banana that was on the desk next to him and started to peel it. “Yeah. It looks like that. Can't be absolutely sure, but it's a good chance. Problem is, we busted the ring that was distributing Sinclair's goods just before the weasel dropped out of sight.”
 
Ryo sighed. “I guess he found other agents to work for him.”
 
“Yeah. I guess this afternoon we should pay a little visit to the area and see if we can find out more.”
 
“Might as well,” Ryo replied, leaning his elbows on his desk and rubbing his eyes with his hands. “Why is this a never ending job?” he moaned. “We wipe out one operation, it feels as if 3 more spring up immediately after.”
 
“Because if it had an end, we'd be without jobs?” Dee asked, then took a bite of his banana. “Seriously, that's why we do what we can.”
 
“Yeah. I know. It's just frustrating sometimes. Sorry, Dee.”
 
“Don't apologize. I feel the same way at times,” Dee said. He went back to studying the file before him.
 
Drake suddenly appeared in the open doorway to Ryo and Dee's office. “Dee, the Commissioner wants you in his office now. And while you're talking to him, do you mind telling Rose the rest of us are not your secretaries? Between you and Ryo. Does anyone know how to pick up a phone down there?”
 
Dee's mouth was open as he looked up from the case file. He noticed Ryo's head snap up and they shared a look.
 
“Now this is different,” Dee stated, attempting a light tone. Meanwhile inside, he went into full panic mode. The Commissioner never spoke to him alone unless he did something Rose felt was wrong.
 
Ryo looked worried and started to stand at the same time as Dee.
 
“Ryo,” Drake said, “the Commissioner said if you try to come along with Dee, that it's a direct order to stay here until he calls for you.”
 
“Oh shit,” Dee muttered, running a hand through his hair. He stared over at Ryo and watched the expected anger to show on his partner's face.
 
“He's not going to split us up,” Ryo snapped. “That will be a mistake.”
 
“Whoa Ryo,” Drake remarked. “Calm down there, buddy. Who knows what Rose wants.”
 
Dee paused by Ryo's desk. “I know it doesn't sound good, babe, but Drake is right. We don't know what we're fighting against yet. So save the anger for when you can focus it. Meanwhile let me go down there and see what it is this time.” Dee shrugged. “Honestly, it can't be too serious. Chief did say we're expecting copies from him of some signed papers.”
 
“You're right,” Ryo agreed. His eyes glanced over to the doorway and Drake still hovering there. “It just doesn't feel right, Dee. As if he's changing his tactics or something to find his loophole.”
 
“It's not going to happen,” Dee assured him, giving one of his cocky smiles. “Well, let me go see what's up the Commissioner's ass this time.”
 
“Be careful, Dee,” Ryo warned.
 
“I'll be okay. And I promise to keep my temper in check.”
 
“We can hope,” Ryo sighed. “Dee,” he called out.
 
“What?”
 
“Just in case,” Ryo said, opening his desk drawer. “Here.” He tossed something to Dee.
 
Dee caught it easily and let out a laugh. “Looks like we're getting a lot of use out of this, huh? I'll be back as soon as I can.”
 
“Dee?” Ryo called out again.
 
“What now?” Dee asked, pausing at the doorway and looking back into the office.
 
“Don't let him keep you past the time we should be leaving for our… interview.”
 
“Don't worry. I'll let him know. Any other last minute instructions?” he asked Ryo with a smile.
 
“Yeah,” Drake butt in. “Get on your way already before Rose starts having a fit.”
 
“Whatever,” Dee laughed and started down the hall toward the elevator.
 
“Damn you're lucky you're Rose's pet,” Drake remarked.
 
“Excuse me?” Ryo asked, looking up from the papers he had gone back to reading when Dee left.
 
“Yesterday. Had it been any of us other shmucks, we'd have been without jobs today. But here you are, engrossed in yet another glorious case.”
 
“Shut up, Drake. If you think I want Rose's favoritism, you're delusional. Chief is handling that. I can assure you, Drake, I'm going to get away with what I did yesterday only because it was totally justified. Self defense.”
 
“Right, Ryo. You're become as twisted as your partner there.”
 
“Why thank you, Drake,” Ryo remarked, with a wry grin on his face. “Speaking of twisting. The Commissioner stated I should stay in this office? Or not go with Dee to his?”
 
“More like not go with Dee,” Drake replied, peering at Ryo. He realized the brown haired detective was up to something.
 
“Good. Then it'll be okay for me to go to the break room for some coffee, right?”
 
“I guess,” Drake said. “Except that you and Dee have your own coffeemaker right here in this office.”
 
“Oh, that old thing?” Ryo said, standing up and stretching. He indicated the file cabinet they had kept their coffeemaker. The space was empty. “It kicked the bucket the other day. So it's down to the break room. Want to join me, Drake?”
 
“Sure. I might as well. Keeping an eye on you and all that. I don't know everything that really happened yesterday, but I've been getting some weird vibes around this place since.”
 
“Don't worry yourself about it, Drake.” He paused to lock the door to their office behind him. “And I really do want a cup of coffee. So let's go.”
 
Ryo sighed inwardly. The truth about the coffeemaker was first thing in the morning, Ryo promptly unplugged it and took it out to be tossed in the garbage shoot. Dee did not need the temptation staring him in the face. Especially not after the way he had acted that morning when he had to deal with having only one cup of coffee and no more. Ryo had put his foot down very firmly about that. Dee was not happy about it, but actually let it go.
 
Dee wasn't the only one not happy, but needing to hit up one of the break rooms had its advantages, Ryo determined as he walked with Drake down to break room on the first floor.