Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ First Visit ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
 
Chapter 6
First Visit
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
12/9/05
 
“Come in and sit down, Dee,” Rose greeted the dark haired detective who stood in the doorway, staring at Rose suspiciously.
 
Dee entered the office and sat in the offered chair. Rose was leaning against the front of his desk. “Relax, Dee,” he said.
 
“Look, if this is about yesterday,” Dee started defensively.
 
“It has to do with something that had happened yesterday, but not what you're thinking. It has nothing to do with Ryo. Well, perhaps it does, but I don't want to talk about him. It's you I'm concerned about.”
 
Dee's eyes got wide, then narrowed as he considered Rose's words. He gave a nervous laugh. “Gee, Rose. Please don't tell me you're one of those who have a kink for pregnant men.”
 
Rose allowed a smile. “No, I'm not. Don't worry, Dee. I did not suddenly decide to change my interest from Ryo to you.”
 
“Should that be a relief?” Dee peered at Rose with his intense gaze, warning the older man.
 
“Dee, if I ever knew I never stood a chance with Ryo, it was when Chief told me your news. He suggested I think about what it means. I could not have stopped myself even if he said nothing.”
 
“Meaning?” Dee asked cautiously. He was tense; it showed in the way he sat. He sat upright in the chair, ready to spring either to attack or bolt from the office.
 
Rose could not tell which.
 
“Meaning I believed what you shared with Ryo was based primarily on lust. That I learned your track record before Ryo and figured he was just another conquest to you.”
 
“You don't start saying no to opportunities previously jumped at for just a sexual conquest,” Dee snapped out.
 
“I assumed it was all part of the hunt for you. And at some point after you had him, you'd tire of him. I thought I'd spare Ryo the heartache by getting him to leave first.”
 
“What Ryo feels is not based on lust,” Dee stated.
 
“Which is why it took how many years? Don't answer, Dee. It's obvious you both got together at some point before now.”
 
Dee let out a snort. “Yes. Very obvious, huh?” His eyes narrowed again. “What I felt was not based on lust either,” he stated. “I knew that when I first had an opportunity with Ryo. But it didn't feel right because all I sensed from him was lust at the time. So I pushed him away until I knew he loved me in return.”
 
“I did not know that.”
 
“It's not something I hope Ryo felt like talking about with you,” Dee stated sarcastically. “Personally I'd rather you not knowing, but if it gets the message through about how I feel about Ryo, then fine.” He lifted his eyes to Rose. “You should not assume anyway, Commissioner. Obviously you did not follow through thoroughly in your investigation.”
 
“No. However with what Chief Smith had to say told me all I needed to know. I can't separate the two of you. Not personally and not professionally.”
 
“Well thanks Commissioner. I kinda want the little one to have both parents around while it's growing up.”
 
“So do I,” Rose stated sincerely.
 
Dee's head lifted sharply, then tilted a little, confusion evident in his eyes.
 
“I also want the little one to make it into this world. Which is the real reason I called you down here, Dee.”
 
“Hmm….” Dee continued to stare.
 
“How are you feeling?” Rose asked.
 
“Oh, I get it now. Making sure I'm okay and comfortable for insurance reasons or something, huh? Look, I promised Chief if I need anything, I'll tell him. But honestly, I don't want to be treated any different than before I found this out. I'm only pregnant, not crippled.”
 
“Exactly why I thought we should have this talk,” Rose stated. “There are things they won't tell you in consultation, only because they have no idea what your lifestyle as a detective is like.”
 
“But you do? I mean, as a pregnant male detective?” The sarcasm in Dee's voice was hard to miss.
 
“Not from personal experience. It was bad enough when Warren asked me if I remembered what it meant having a partner. But right on top of it, he told me about you. My mind was already on Tyler. Now I can't get my mind off him. You're a lot like him, Dee. I always knew that. Which is why other than Ryo, I had problems with you. You are a constant reminder of Tyler. Of someone I loved as my best friend and partner. And lost.”
 
Dee sucked in his breath at Rose's confession. He looked unusually subdued and in thought. “I'm hoping you lost him because he had to move out of state or something like that,” he found himself saying. “Or else this story is going to get messy.”
 
“It is messy, Dee. And you need to know what happened. You see, you remind me of him more than ever now. I want to make sure this doesn't end the same way. I was devastated when he died - along with his unborn child. In the line of duty. I didn't protect him enough. He didn't expect me to. He was the type of male who always had to be the protector. He insisted he could take care of himself. I tried, but he was too damn stubborn. Too alpha male.” Rose's eyes met Dee's. “Dee, if anything happened to you and the baby, it would break Ryo. Keep that in mind before you go and do something just because you were able to before you were pregnant. And please, not only listen to what I have to say, hear it. Hear it with your heart. If you don't, at least now I have the power to stop you from allowing your masculine pride to endanger your family. If need be, I will suspend you until your baby leave is over.”
 
Dee stared at the Commissioner completely stunned. After a very long minute of silence, Dee looked at his watch. “I have twenty minutes before Ryo will be breaking this door down to get me to my Consultation. Chief already said it was okay for me and Ryo to go.”
 
“Of course you will go and Ryo too, if you want him involved. Which is good. You don't need permission for appointments, Dee. Just let someone know where you are. Or better, put your appointments on your computer calendar. All we have to do is look if we forget.”
 
Dee nodded. “I'll keep that in mind.”
 
“Can I get you some water or something while we talk?”
 
“Water is good,” Dee agreed.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
Dee opened the door to leave Rose's office to find Ryo hovering in the doorway to the hall Rose's office was located in. He looked tense and ready to spring into action if needed. Dee had a feeling that in another minute or two, Ryo would have been halfway down the hall waiting.
 
Upon seeing Dee exit the Commissioner's office, he started to walk briskly toward Dee.
 
“What the hell happened in there?” Ryo demanded as soon as he got to Dee. He glared in the direction of the door Dee had closed behind him.
 
Dee shook his head.
 
“Dee, you look shaken. What happened?”
 
“I'm not sure,” Dee truthfully answered. “But somehow I think Rose and I are friends.” Dee shook his head again, then lifted a hand to scratch the back of his head in confusion.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Let's start getting out of here before we end up cutting it close. I'll try to explain along the way.”
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
On the walk to the subway station, Dee explained to Ryo that the Commissioner once had a partner who was pregnant. Since he seemed to so far be the only one out of their superiors who had dealt with a pregnant male detective, he took it upon himself to impart advice on what Dee needed to consider as long as he continued to work. Dee stated he feared being called into Rose's office at regular intervals for more heart to heart talks, making sure he was not overdoing things. Ryo was surprised, but had to admit he was thankful. They had passed a very pregnant man along the way to the subway, they noticed one every now and then, once in a while a victim or a witness would be one, but Ryo could say he had never known one himself. Dee was the first.
 
Dee was pretty much the first for the 27th. Supposedly there was a cop who was pregnant but that was back in the 70's, before there were laws to protect those men. Despite the government owning up to being part of a multi-nation genetic engineering project that produced carriers, for many years those men were considered freaks. Quite a large number of `freaks'. It was not until 1995 that laws were passed, giving carriers rights and protection. The cop had been asked to leave the force. There were no others that were known since. Until Dee.
 
Dee did not dare tell Ryo the specifics of his talk with Rose, and prayed Rose would not take it upon himself to sit Ryo down and tell the same story. Should Ryo find out what had happened to Tyler, and the way Ryo had already started to act, Dee feared he'd find himself locked in the apartment until he gave birth.
 
Dee determined he was not going to be as stubborn and stupid as Tyler had been with Rose while on duty. It would be hard, but he knew he had to do it for the sake of his child. For his and Ryo's child.
 
The ride on the subway was thankfully quick. Halfway to their stop, Dee felt his stomach get queasy again. It started because of the spilled beer that was under the seat Ryo sat in. His partner was oblivious to the problem since it only blended in with the other various odors one gets accustomed to after using the subway regularly. Since the week before, Dee found his senses would zone in on one odor and be the cause of at least some minor distress to him. He had thought it was because of the flu he believed he had caught. He knew different now. Whether the symptoms meant other signs of pregnancy would be showing up soon after, or because Dee knew he was, he was aware of different means of discomfort to him, he was not sure. He mentally counted up the number of stops before they would get off the train.
 
Ryo glanced over to Dee with a look he was quickly getting to know very well over the past 48 hours. Ryo was aware that something was ailing Dee.
 
Dee shook his head at Ryo's unspoken question. “Somebody spilled their beer a day or two ago,” he supplied, pointing under the seat.
 
“You want to move?” Ryo asked, needing no further explanation from Dee.
 
“Nah. I'll be smelling it on the other side of the car now that I know it's here.” He gave Ryo a smile. “Nothing serious. I'll let you know if that changes.”
 
Ryo nodded and dared to take Dee's hand in his for a quick squeeze. Usually Ryo was more hesitant in public displays of affection in closed crowed places that was not predominantly gay, than in open areas like parks or a near empty street. Not that Ryo never had shown any affection in places like a subway train, but the few time had surprised Dee when they happened.
 
Dee managed to, for the most part, ignore the queasiness. On the train they had discussed mundane things like newspaper articles, what to do for dinner, speculation on what Bikky's grades would be, and Ryo filling Dee in on the more interesting rumors he overheard while laying in wait for Dee to leave Rose's office.
 
They continued to talk as they left the subway and walked the few blocks to the hospital, where the initial consultation was to be held. At the corner, Dee suddenly froze, his eyes on the marquee over the entrance of the building. He was struck hard with the reason why they were there. He was filled with an odd mix of excitement and fear.
 
Ryo, realizing Dee was no longer at his side, turned to look for Dee. An assuring smile came to his face as he held out his hand. “It's a little too late to decide not to go in there,” Ryo said softly, with some amusement in his tone. His hand still reached out toward Dee, waiting for the frightened man to take it.
 
Dee grasped it and clung onto Ryo's hand like a lifeline. “I'm sorry,” Dee blurted out, attempting to pull himself together. At the least, get the panic he felt from his face.
 
Ryo guided them out of the path of passing pedestrians and into a doorway. He remained quiet. He did not have to say anything. He gazed steadily at Dee, all calm and assurance. He was like a rock, solid and steady. Dee felt himself start to release his tension and the panic started to fade. The excitement remained.
 
“I - I just had a moment of panic,” he admitted quietly. “I mean, I still know I want to do this. But I'm scared, Ryo. I'm scared of screwing this up. I'm not certain if I can keep doing the right things….”
 
“Hush,” Ryo softly said. The finger of the hand not holding Dee's rested on Dee's lips. “Of course you will. But it won't be easy to change some habits, especially those born of a lifetime of doing them. That's why you have me.”
 
“I thought I have you because you love me,” Dee joked, suddenly overcome with the moment. His Ryo, being so strong, so supportive, with no indication of laughing at Dee's momentary weakness.
 
Ryo grinned, his finger tracing Dee's mouth. “Yeah. That's what I said.”
 
“Oh….”
 
To Dee's surprise, Ryo removed his fingers to replace them with his mouth. The kiss was brief, but it made Dee's head spin. Ryo was in his sharpshooter mode, level and calm, but instead of the cold detachment needed to do his job, he radiated warmth and comfort. Dee had no choice but be drawn in. He felt it reach for him, caress him as Ryo's lips had briefly done.
 
Dee took a calming breath. “I'm okay now. Sorry. I was just being silly.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Not silly, love. If you didn't get worried about things like that, then I'd be worried.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because that would tell me you stopped caring.”
 
“Oh,” was all Dee found he could say. He smiled at Ryo. “You're right. Thanks.”
 
Ryo placed his hand on Dee's stomach as he briefly kissed him again. “No. Thank you, Dee,” he sighed into the kiss.
 
Dee shut his eyes. “Damn,” he cursed against the sting of tears behind his eyes.
 
He heard Ryo chuckle warmly. Dee dared to open his eyes, knowing the damn telling signs would be glittering in his eyes, but at least he held them at bay. He did not mind Ryo seeing what was in his eyes at that moment. They were glad tears anyway. Dee felt happy. Really truly happy, and very lucky to have Ryo's love.
 
“You're beautiful, Dee,” Ryo stated, almost a whisper while he caressed Dee's cheek.
 
Dee let out a laugh, finding pleasure in the unexpected physical attention he was receiving from Ryo in the doorway, as the usual crowds in New York City rushed along their ways outside the doorway. “Yeah. You won't say that three months from now.”
 
“Just you wait, Dee,” Ryo remarked. “I can't wait to prove you wrong. Now c'mon. We're going to be late.”
 
“You keep doing what you're doing, we're going to be very late after I pounce.”
 
Ryo laughed, shaking his head.
 
“Oddly, at the moment I believe you will prove me wrong. At the least I know I won't mind your trying.” He flashed Ryo a brilliant smile and saw the effects in Ryo's eyes. “Let's go and get this over with.”
 
When they were in the middle of the sidewalk again, Dee realized Ryo had an arm around his waist, guiding him through the throngs of people.
 
At the reception desk, they were directed to the obstetrics ward. In the waiting room, they met with an intern who escorted them toward the men's ward. Along the way, the cries of new born infants reached their ears. They saw mostly women who were close to delivery, but not yet ready sat in the waiting room. They were taken to another section of the ward and women ready to give birth were replaced by a few men.
 
Dee stopped and took a look at the men. One man looked up at his, his hands on his very obvious pregnant belly and smiled at Dee. Dee nodded back as he felt Ryo's hand rub his back comforting. He turned to once again follow the intern who lead them into a cozy room, lacking a desk, having two couches and two arm chairs. A Christmas tree was decorated in the corner. They were offered to sit where they wanted. They chose to sit next to each other on one of the couches.
 
Dee was quiet as the intern handed them each a folder that contained information. Dee was given a book that looked like a diary and in effect was a journal, along with facts and checklists during the progression of pregnancy.
 
He glanced at the book skeptically. He thought the pregnancy journal was ridiculous.
 
The intern laughed at Dee's look. “Most men look at that book like that when they first see it. Very few show enthusiasm from the start.”
 
“It just seems, I don't know, frilly, I guess,” Dee replied.
 
“If you look through it, you'll see the layout isn't the same as a women's. We are very much aware that most men don't suddenly decide they like lace and satin.”
 
“I like satin,” Dee mumbled.
 
Ryo laughed at the comment.
 
“Many of the men who are hesitant at first, actually end up using it and sorry they did not from the start. Your partner seems open to the idea, so I suggest you allow him to write what he wants. If you never write in there, that is fine. At least one of you will have all the important events recorded. But I do suggest reading through it. You will find many tips and reminders of what will be covered today.”
 
Dee indicated the folder. “Isn't this enough information in here?”
 
“Mr. Laytner, even more than a female pregnancy, a male pregnancy is still full of unknowns. Each man has his own experience. The basics are the same, but the variables are as many as there are men who have been pregnant. We can not give you enough information and you will still find yourself in moments when only your common sense will guide you through. The big bad tough guys who never thought they could become pregnant are usually the ones who have the hardest time.”
 
“That's comforting to know,” Dee snapped. “Thanks for the warning.”
 
“Dee,” Ryo softly whispered in warning.
 
“All I am suggesting is, at least until the baby is born, remember it's not a crime to stop acting so tough.”
 
Dee paled at the intern's words.
 
“Dee?” Ryo asked. “Are you feeling okay? Do you need to use the restroom?”
 
“N-no. I'm okay. I - I….” He had remembered the talk he had with Rose and what had happened to Tyler. “I have already been given the speech,” he offered. “I am going to try hard to do what's best for my baby.”
 
The intern nodded satisfied. “Good.” He smiled as Ryo placed an arm around Dee and pulled him close, Dee allowing the contact as he put his face into Ryo's shoulder. “Maybe it won't be so rough for you after all. Dr Siworski will be here in a few minutes. Can I get you both something?”
 
Ryo nodded. “How about some tea for the two of us. And some crackers for Dee?”
 
“Coming right up.”
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
They already had their tea, while Dee was gratefully nibbling on some crackers to still settle his still upset stomach from the train ride when a tall, beefy man who looked more like a football player than someone who delivered babies entered the room with a friendly smile on his face.
 
“Mr. Laytner?” he asked. He looked directly at Dee.
 
Dee nodded, placing the crackers down on an end table, and stood up to shake the doctor's hand. “Yes, that's me. And that's my partner, Randy MacLean, the baby's other father.”
 
“Pleasure to meet you both,” the man greeted as Ryo stood to shake his hand. “I'm Vincent Siworski and unless you decide otherwise, I'll be your MOP.”
 
He sat them both down and taking a wooden chair from a corner, placed it so he could straddle it as he face the two partners, then started to talk. He talked to both of them for a great length of time, going through everything in their folders, answering any questions they had. Ryo was full of them, while Dee could not come up with much. The few he had, he felt were silly things. Ryo's folder had different information than Dee's, pertaining more to the role of the non-expectant father and ways to make the pregnancy as comfortable as possible, along with tips and advice on how to handle some regular crisis that occurred in most pregnancies. Dee's was filled with basic things he could and could not do at different points of pregnancy, a diet plan, along with sample meals for several days, what to expect at different points.
 
As the doctor finished asking Ryo's latest question the three fell into silence. Siworski's eyes went to Dee. “I'm certain you must have more questions that the two you asked.”
 
Ryo laughed easily. “Don't mind Dee. He's not normally this quiet. Once he warms up to this situation, he'll talk your ear off.”
 
Dee attempted to frown at Ryo, but fell short upon seeing the amusement in his lover's face. “Okay, I do have a question. Well, more like advice, I guess.”
 
“Go ahead. Can I call you Dee?”
 
“Sure. Well, I smoke. I really haven't in the last couple of days, but just when I think I might have it under control, I can't help it and end up having one. It's damn hard, doc. Anything I can get to help me quit?”
 
“I would prefer if you stop naturally, Dee. Mostly because all the stopping aids contain nicotine stronger than a cigarette in them. Other methods include using anti-depressant drugs, which from what I can see so far, you have no need of and I'd prefer staying away from any prescription drugs that we can during your pregnancy.”
 
Dee let out a heavy sigh. “That wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, doctor.”
 
“Call me Vince, please, Dee. No it usually isn't. But it's the best one. Give it another week or two, as long as you remain limited. You find yourself increasing, rather than decreasing, give me a call and I'll see what I can do for you. However, I believe that will not be necessary. You went from what to what once you realized you were pregnant?”
 
“Pack and a half to two packs a day to three or four a day these last three days,” Dee replied.
 
“That's excellent, Dee. Did you decide this on your own?” His eyes flickered to Ryo. “Are you a smoking man too?”
 
“No, Dr…”
 
“Vince, please. And can I call you Randy?”
 
Ryo nodded. “No, I'm not. And I realized that Dee had already made his decision before he told me his wonderful news.”
 
“Dee, that's a good sign that you feel a need to protect your child and do whatever you have to. That need to protect will most probably help you find the strength from within to finally let go of those few cigarettes.”
 
“I hope so,” Dee said. “I mean, to be totally honest here, I really have no intention of quitting. But there's more than just me to consider. And I do find myself reaching for one almost as often as I used to, but then feel guilty when I think of my child and I put it away. I keep putting it away until I can't any longer.”
 
Ryo smiled softly. “Then he worries about it for an hour,” he offered, having seen it himself. “Vince is probably right Dee with you acting like you do after you do have a smoke.”
 
“I guess.”
 
“Any other questions?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I think I've asked all I have so far.”
 
“I'll probably remember a ton of them after I leave,” Dee answered with a rueful smile. “Because I didn't think to consider asking questions. Meanwhile my ever organized partner here most probably have been jotting down questions ever since he found out.”
 
Ryo ducked his head and Dee was treated to what had started to become rare - Ryo was blushing. Dee leaned over to kiss Ryo's cheek. “But that's one of the things I love about you. If you didn't do things like collect questions, we'd be in deep shit. Oh sorry, Vince.”
 
“No worries. You can't offend me with language. I suggest you start writing them down as they come to you, Dee. Or you can call me or one of the information numbers and ask. There's a line that is 24/7. So if one of you come up with something that is worrying you, no need to stay up all night because you couldn't get to bed worrying over it. Now, while we're at it, there's also contacts for various support groups. Some are for only the carrier fathers, while there are some only for the fathers who are not the carrier. You'll find groups for both of you to attend together. If either or both of you feel the need, do not hesitate. While laws have helped with acceptance, the laws are only ten years old and there are still those who are not very kind to an expectant father. I cannot stress enough to not just bear it like you usually have done with everything else in your life, and suck it up. It will not help during your pregnancy. And Randy, your role will also be stressful even if you are not the one carrying the baby. If either or both of you are the type of men who work things out in your heads, I suggest you consider other alternatives for the next eight months. If you do not already, consider to rely on the other. Even if you find yourself keeping things in for the outside world, trust in each other enough to let the facades crumble when you're alone.” Vince stopped when he saw Dee open his mouth. “Yes, Dee?”
 
“I just thought of a question.”
 
“Go ahead.”
 
“Well, um…. Mind you, I don't know much about how male pregnancy works and all. I just assumed that it was like female ones. I didn't even know I was a carrier until the other day when I was told I might be pregnant.”
 
“By the time you leave today, it won't be much of a mystery. It is not unusual for a male who is not a carrier not to know much more than that they exist. Randy, how much do you know?”
 
Ryo chuckled. “That they exist, that I found out yesterday that I am one, and that the man I love is carrying our child.”
 
Dee dropped his head a little, but the smile was still evident.
 
“I love hearing things like that,” Vince smiled. “This is one of the benefits of my job. That and seeing a new life come into this world. Since I only looked over Dee's medical record, since he is the pregnant one, so I have to ask you, Randy. I hope you're on birth control. Because two pregnancies at the same time is not a very romantic thing. In fact, it can break relationships because of the added stress.”
 
“I was told there was no need. Dee and I have been together for well over two years and neither one of us thought about birth control. As I found out yesterday, my reason is because while I have the equipment, it doesn't work unless I agree to treatments to change that, with only a 50% chance of being able to conceive,” Ryo explained.
 
“Ah interesting. And Dee, I am curious why it has taken you two years, since judging from your carrier testing, and the reason why we're all here today, you have no problem with the plumbing, so to say,” Vince asked.
 
Dee gawked at the doctor for a moment before resting his elbow on the arm of the chair and covering his face with his hand. “Oh shit,” Dee moaned. “Is my wonderful other half as red as I feel I'm going to be?”
 
“More so, Dee,” Ryo replied.
 
Dee removed his hand and turned his head to find Ryo doing the same thing. They looked at each other and broke out in laughter. Dee indicated the folder Vince held which was his medical record. “That fine nurse who pre-screened me before my exam the day I thought I was seeing a doctor for the flu asked enough questions that I'm surprised it's not in there.”
 
Vince went through Dee's record. “Ah, yes. I see scribble on your check in sheet. Oh! Okay, onward to our next topic then. If you gentlemen are ready, I'll take you on a tour of our facilities. Then Dee will go in for his first exam relating to this pregnancy. During that time, Randy, you can go into our waiting room where there is plenty of material you might want to browse through, or even talk to a counselor, which we find is always a wonderful thing for a new father to do. It'll further prepare you to be there for Dee.”
 
Dee gazed at Ryo with a knowing look. “Two things.”
 
“What's that?” Ryo asked.
 
“One, get a list of titles so you can get them later, because I don't feel like lugging a ton of books up to the precinct, then back home later tonight in this snow. Two, have fun talking.”
 
Ryo blushed only a little, then laughed. “You wouldn't know me if I didn't,” he remarked.
 
“Don't I know it?” Dee sighed.
 
They allowed Vince to lead them out of the room. They were shown the examination rooms and equipment, then onto the waiting room for preparation for c-section. There were the preparatory rooms for the father about to give birth, then the delivery rooms, and last, the private rooms for recovery.
 
“You'll have choices on birth methods, even if there is only a c-section, Dee. Basically a local anesthetic, so you can be awake during delivery, or being out. Either way, Randy can be in the delivery room if he chooses.”
 
“No question I'll be there,” Ryo blurted out.
 
“Because the number of male patients is significantly lower than female, we can provide private rooms to all our new fathers. The rooms have bassinettes so the baby can be with you through most of the day while you are in recovery. Expect to be in for 5 - 7 days, depending on how well you heal from surgery and the conditions of the birth. Randy, because of the private room, you can stay at nights, should you choose.”
 
“No questions he'll be there too,” Dee remarked, taking Ryo's hand. He gazed about the room they stood in, his eyes resting on the bassinette. “Oh my God,” he whispered. “This is real.”
 
“Yes Dee,” Ryo said, squeezing Dee's hand. “It is. It's very real.”
 
“Oh shit!”
 
Vince started for the door. “I'll leave you two alone for a few minutes. I'll be outside waiting for you.”
 
“Thank you, Vince,” Ryo said, going to hug Dee as the doctor left the room, closing the door behind him.
 
“The fog is really lifting, Ryo,” Dee said, hugging Ryo back. “It was feeling a bit dreamlike these last few days, but suddenly it's all getting clearer. Oh my God, Ryo. I'm pregnant!”
 
Ryo smiled tenderly and kissed Dee. “Yes, Dee. You are. Not exactly what we both would have thought, if we took the time to consider it, but that's the way it happened. And considering the odds, I don't believe in coincidence anymore. There is a reason.”
 
“There sure is,” Dee remarked. “Not it's going to change how we feel about Bikky, but we're going to have a child of our own. A little Dee and Ryo combined into one.”
 
“Oh great! I feel sorry for the world then,” Ryo said deadpan.
 
Dee grinned. “Yeah. So do I.”
 
Ryo stared up into Dee's eyes. Gently he placed a hand on Dee's face, strong fingers stroking the smooth skin. “Dee,” he said quietly, “we're alone now.”
 
Dee shook his head. “Later, Ryo. Because if I start now, I won't stop. And we do have Dr. Siworski waiting for us. I still have an exam, we still have to get back to work, check out Taft housing. Later, I promise.”
 
Ryo looked at Dee dubiously, but nodded his head. He settled for giving Dee another kiss. “I love you, Dee.”
 
“I love you too, Ryo.” He covered Ryo's hand with his and gently removed it. He guided their hands downward to rest on his abdomen. “This is how much I love you, Ryo.”
 
Ryo's eyes glittered with unshed tears. “Don't make me start, Dee.”
 
Dee actually sniffed, squeezing his eyes tightly, a brilliant smile on his face. “I won't. Because if you start, I will.”
 
“Gee, we better get our act together or we can be in some trouble,” Ryo remarked, rolling his eyes, getting his control back.
 
“No shit,” was Dee's reply. “Okay are we ready to finish this up?”
 
“Are you?”
 
“Definitely. Let's go.” He took Ryo's hand and together they went for the door.
 
Next stop was the nursery, which was situated between both sections of the obstetrics ward. It was explained that the need for separate delivery sections was needed because the soon to be delivering parent's needs would differ between female and male. Once delivered, a new born baby is a new born baby, whether by a tradition mother or a carrier father.
 
Dee and Ryo had to agree it made sense and they were glad to see all the new born babies being treated the same. Dee, being no stranger to younger children, glanced at the babies behind the glass. Through the years, a baby would show up at the orphanage until it was adopted. Dee had spent time with each one. He had long given up hiding that he had a soft spot for children, especially the younger ones, but as he gazed at the babies before him, all of them having parents to take them home, he was struck with feelings he had never had before. He found himself imaging standing there and staring at his own child. A knot formed in his throat.
 
He forced himself back into some semblance of control before he made a fool of himself. He had accepted that he'd shed a tear or two every once in a while as his body went through changes, but he could not wait until he was finished here. This was getting ridiculous and he suspected it was the place that kept threatening his self control.
 
Remembering his talk with Rose, then later what the doctor had told him, Dee knew he would not allow himself to start weeping over everything. If those feelings hit him at an inconvenient time, he would hold it in. Then later, make sure he had time alone with Ryo.
 
It was time for Dee's exam. Ryo was assured it would be quite a boring exam, as thorough as it was to be and there would not be any landmarks that he would miss. The following exams, he would be welcome to be present for, but this one he would only be in the way. After Ryo grabbed Dee for another kiss that made Dee tingle, he was escorted by an intern to the waiting area, while Vince led Dee toward the examination room.
 
Not that he had anything to compare it to, but Dee thought it should feel strange that during the exam, him and Vince talked about sports. Vince, Dee discovered, was a rabid Knicks fan. The rapport between doctor and expectant father was complete. Vince Siworski was going to remain his MOP through to delivery, Dee decided. He liked the man's personality and his way of getting to the point with things. Vince did not sugar coat, which Dee could appreciate. It was what he preferred, most probably would need should something arise that would be reason for concern during the pregnancy.
 
Dee submitted himself to yet another physical exam, along with a series of blood tests and a urine test. He was weighed and along with his muscle mass recorded. Then he was requested to remove his shirt while the doctor poked and prodded his abdomen.
 
“Well, Dee,” Vince stated upon Dee removing his shirt and the doctor's eyes settled on the very well defined rippled abs, “the bad news is you're going to lose them for a few months. The good news is that you can get them back. Sooner than you might believe. It's one of the perks of being in top physical shape upon pregnancy, which so far from what I can see, you are. Once you get the all clear after delivery, you can go into training and they will return faster than it took you to get them the first time.”
 
“You don't say?” Dee asked, running his hand across his hard, defined abs. “That's good to hear. I was afraid I'd end up soft after.”
 
“Once the swell of pregnancy goes down after delivery, your abs will be firm. If you want that six pack again, you'll have to work on that for a couple of months. But unless there's a significant unnecessary weight gain during the pregnancy, you will not be soft.”
 
“Definitely good news,” Dee said. His hand stopped and he looked down at it. “There really is a baby in there,” he softly said in awe.
 
Vince laughed. “Yes there is, Dee. During one of your upcoming appointments, you will be able to hear the heartbeat. The one after that, we should be able to see the little tyke with ultrasound. It'll all depend on the uterine sac, which we should be able to see next time. I'm going to hold off you next visit until after Settling.”
 
They continued with the exam. To Dee, the most embarrassing part of the ordeal was when the doctor started to measure his ankles and calves. When Dee asked about it, it was explained to gauge future swelling to determine if signs of concern. Swelling will be expected, but too much or too soon could be reasons for concern. The doctor quickly followed up with stating most cases did not mean danger to the fetus, because any potential problems were quickly corrected before it was dangerous to the fetus or the expectant father.
 
As Dee started to dress, Vince sat down in a chair and went through the checklist of things Dee would should expect in the next few weeks. Dee learned about how the embryo will settle in his body and about the uterine sac that will thicken and expand. He was told the sac was currently a mucus like film surrounding the embryo at that point. Within the next week or two, it would start thickening and expanding, becoming a temporary uterus where the baby would grow. Dee was told how the carrier organ would work with his digestive tract as the uterine sac formed and between all three organs, a cord would form from the baby to his digestive system.
 
Dee was amazed at the complexity of what was such a small additional organ he was born with. By the time Vince had finished explaining everything and answering all of Dee's questions, to Dee the miracle of birth had become more amazing. He could not help the feeling of tenderness fill him, knowing it showed on his face by the smirk on his doctor's face, but did not attempt to curb it. He had a warm feeling that he had no intention to lose sooner than he had to.
 
Dee finally realized some questions he should ask, and thought it was just as well that he asked without Ryo around. In the last year and a half, Ryo was not as shy when talking about sex, and in the last year blushed much less. Also alone, by that point, Dee discovered that Ryo found he got a thrill out of dirty talk during intimate moments - or as a prelude to them. Ever since Dee cried in Ryo's arms the night he told Ryo he was most probably pregnant, Dee did not see any blushes until that day. Had he asked the questions that came to him while Ryo was with him, he was certain Ryo would have been wanting to crawl under the couch or run out of the room. Ryo was still not ready to show too much of their personal relationship to others, and most definitely did not want to share their intimate details.
 
Dee took advantage of it being just him and the doctor and started to ask questions about sex, if there was anything they should not do. He was assured that for the first few months at least, that they could have sex anyway they liked, assuming they did not try any advanced positions that could be uncomfortable to Dee or the baby. Vince then went into adding that should there by any factors of S&M in their love play that they should proceed with caution. Dee, who was not expecting that addition, found himself in a light blush. They were not into S&M, but did enjoy some submission/dom games once in a while. Oddly enough, even if Ryo had always on the receiving end of the actual act, the submission and domination roles were equally interchangeable between Dee and Ryo. Dee gathered his nerve and explained what they were into and should anything be excluded.
 
Vince assured Dee that what they done was mild and not extreme and nothing to be concerned about. The basic rule that Dee should follow is that if something hurts, stop. And to use common sense. Vince went on to say that as Dee's pregnancy progressed, if there was any reason he saw to suggest moderation or no sex, he would let Dee know. Until he said otherwise, Dee was given the all clear for a perfectly normal sex life such as the one he enjoyed with Ryo.
 
Yet as Dee finally left the room not long after to join Ryo in the waiting room, he knew their sex life was not going to be normal again. At least not by the patterns established except for that one stray night. Because after the way Ryo had been acting all day, the way he had started to look at Dee, and the way he would kiss him, Dee knew he wanted a repeat performance.
 
Preferably that night.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###