Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Onto Los Angeles ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 9
Onto Los Angeles
 
 
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
 
Despite being a very early day, it had been a good day so far. Even facing having to travel most of the day, it still was off to a great start. Ryo had awaken in a great mood, despite finding himself alone in the bed. He did not worry more than a few minutes, for as he got out of the bed, putting on a robe and approached the bedroom door, instead of hearing the feared sound of retching, he heard the shower instead. Checking the time, Ryo determined they had time for a double shower. So he took off his robe and surprised Dee, who had no problem finding himself suddenly sharing the shower.
 
Dee admitted to feeling pleasantly sore that morning, but he was sore nonetheless. Ryo found himself once again setting the pace, but in their accustomed roles. He did not need Dee to be aching unnecessarily during their travels. They dressed and grabbed their luggage, intending on grabbing breakfast at the airport, since they would have time to kill. They only waited five additional minutes for the cab Ryo had called the day before for to arrive and drive them over into Queens to LaGuardia airport.
 
After the curbside check in, they stopped so Dee could smoke. Ryo remained quietly by his side, knowing how Dee felt about air travel. He did not like it. It would not stop Dee, and he usually disguised his discomfort well, but Ryo would notice by the increased smoking before entering the airport. Even thought Dee had admitted having one before his shower, Ryo saw the fight in Dee's eyes as he uneasily smoked his cigarette. Ryo was actually pleasantly surprised when Dee put his half smoked cigarette out.
 
“Enough,” Dee had muttered, stabbing it out angrily.
 
Ryo smiled, daring to touch Dee's arm in support. Dee lifted his eyes to meet Ryo's, then smiled. Together they entered the airport.
 
Going through the security check point did not take long. They both had figured it, being early on a Sunday morning, but did not want to take chances. They strolled along the airport to the food court concourse and had a nice leisurely breakfast. They talked, laughed and shared loving smiles.
 
At one point, Dee's eyes settled behind Ryo, appearing lost in thought. Carefully Ryo turned, as if searching for someone and noticed what had Dee's attention. A man, obviously well into pregnancy, sitting with his significant other. The two had no problems with displaying affection as they ate their breakfast, despite some stares that Ryo would have felt uncomfortable if it was him receiving them.
 
It did make him pause to think. There would be a time when Dee would be so obviously pregnant as the man Dee watched with interest and curiosity. Ryo reminded himself he had to start getting used to those stares, learn how to let them roll off him more than he already had. Because he was damned if he would do anything to deny being the proud father of Dee's baby.
 
Or the proud significant other to Dee.
 
He reached out to run a finger along Dee's arm. “What's on your mind, love?” he asked.
 
Dee shook his head, taking his attention from the couple behind Ryo down to the finger running along his jacket sleeve. He glanced up in question at Ryo. An airport was not considered one of what Ryo considered a safe zone to show affection.
 
Ryo merely smiled lovingly at Dee. “Just trying something new,” he stated.
 
“Really?” Dee asked in curiosity.
 
“More later. What were you thinking just now?”
 
“Not much. Just feeling sorry for the poor guy if he's traveling. He's got to be seven, eight months.” Dee chuckled ruefully. “And hoping he's not on our flight and deciding to go into labor.”
 
“Let's hope not, Dee,” Ryo remarked, concerned. His eyes settled on Dee.
 
“Stop worrying,” Dee assured him. “We're going to be fine. All of us. Baby included.”
 
“You're right,” Ryo agreed. “Because I won't allow anything else.”
 
Dee leaned forward, arms resting on the table on each side of his empty platter. “You know, I'm really starting to like this side of you. Unfortunately, it also causes certain reactions that we can't do anything about until sometime tonight.”
 
“Behave Dee,” Ryo warned, but laughed. “As much as I'm hoping otherwise, we're both probably going to be too tired to do much more than sleep once we can fall into bed tonight.”
 
“Maybe,” Dee said, his eyes glittering. “Are we ready to go to our gate?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Can we stop so I can get an eggnog latte? Decaf, of course. I'll even allow you to have real caffeine around me.” Dee winked at him.
 
Ryo laughed. “Sure. Just don't let Mother know about my coffee, because she'd yank my ear off.”
 
Dee busted out in laughter. “Yeah, she would. I won't tell. Let's go.”
 
As how they walked down the street toward the medical center the day before, Dee found himself walking with Ryo's hand on his back. On the escalator up to the level their gate was at, Dee noticed it was practically empty. So he took a chance and leaned over to steal a quick kiss from Ryo. He got a surprise when the hand touching his back went around his waist as Ryo gave him a longer kiss.
 
“Wow!” Dee remarked after the kiss.
 
“We're almost there, Dee. Watch out.”
 
“Oh yeah. Right.”
 
 
At the gate, they settled down with their drinks and sorted out sections of the newspaper. They sat next to each other, leaning to touch slightly as they read, waiting for the boarding call for their flight.
 
It almost felt more like a vacation, or even going off onto a honeymoon, Ryo thought, than heading out to Los Angeles for business.
 
 
It all started going to hell when they took off. Dee looked slightly pale as the plane climbed to cruising altitude. Ryo reached into his pocket and pulled out the individual packets of crackers he had grabbed while in the food court and handed one to Dee.
 
“Think you can hold on until we can stand up?” Ryo asked Dee in concern. He pressed his hand against Dee's slightly clammy cheek and frowned.
 
“Don't have much a choice,” Dee remarked, opening the packet. He put a cracker in his mouth, then reached out to the back of the seat in front of him. “Good thing they have these,” he said, pulling out an air sickness bag. “I'm trying not to use it.”
 
“Hold onto it just in case,” Ryo said, caressing Dee's cheek. Dee pressed into the hand. Ryo could not stop himself from putting his arm around Dee's shoulder. “Just as soon as we level, I'll go ask for some ginger ale.”
 
Dee shook his head. “I could wait until they come around with the snack cart.”
 
“I don't think so.” Ryo's tone left no room for further argument on the matter.
 
Dee simply smiled. “Whatever makes you feel better.”
 
Ryo gently kissed Dee's cheek. “I want you to feel better, love.”
 
“I am a little. Thank you.”
 
 
Before they came to final approach for Chicago, the weather was bad, but not enough to turn the plane around or prevent it from preparing for final approach. The ride got bumpy and Dee ended up using several of the air sickness bags. The flight attendants had set him up with some extra ginger ale, crackers and some unsalted peanuts. They told Ryo that should during the final approach into O'Hare airport if Dee needed anything, Ryo should notify them. Ryo was not sure if there was much more they could do other than the attempt at making Dee as comfortable as possible and getting him to drink water and ginger ale, but was glad knowing he would not have to sit there feeling as useless as he while the plane was climbing up to cruising altitude.
 
Dee had managed to doze off for fifteen minutes before the ride got rough. He clenched onto Ryo's hand, his head resting against Ryo's as they went into final approach. Dee looked terrible by the time they landed and Ryo had to help him off the plane. Ryo settled Dee in one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs at the gate where they got off the plane, planning on taking the chance of sitting there for 15 minutes, in hopes Dee would be able to move without feeling violently ill again.
 
It was ten minutes in the wait that Ryo happened to look up at the flight schedule. He checked for their flight to Los Angeles, to make sure it was still on time. He dared to hope it would be a little late, to give Dee time to settle. What Ryo saw was not what he was hoping for.
 
“Dee, will you be alright if I just go over to the counter?” he asked, hoping to keep his voice normal.
 
“Sure. What's wrong?”
 
Ryo smiled at him. “Nothing much. Just that you might have some time to get over this flight before having to get on another. I'll let you know as soon as I find out more.” He stood up to walk over to the counter.
 
“Okay.” Dee's voice sounded small.
 
Ryo turned back to the man sitting. “Dee?”
 
“Just hurry.”
 
“Of course, love.”
 
Ryo stepped up to the counter, and waited impatiently for the people in front of him to stop arguing with the person behind the counter. Some people were born to fight, he thought, hoping they would take their issues somewhere else. These airline people had a job just like the rest of them and did it to the best of their abilities. Why people had to make their jobs more difficult when something was out of their control, Ryo had no idea.
 
He was soon to find out.
 
The woman behind the counter patiently explained to Ryo about their flight being canceled. She gave him a phone number to call to get out their new flight information. She told him he could use any courtesy phone.
 
At first it did not seem terribly bad to Ryo. A mild inconvenience, yes, but as he thanked the woman and turned to leave the counter, his mind was already in action. A later flight would give Dee time to settle from the last one. While they waited, he would try to get Dee to eat something and drink more water. He would also have time to pick up some items to have on hand during take off.
 
He returned to Dee, who was watching him approach.
 
“What's up?” Dee asked. “I noticed our flight is canceled.”
 
“It is. I was told we're on a later flight.” Ryo raised the paper with the phone number on it. “I'm to call this number for our new flight information.”
 
Dee let out a sigh of relief. “I can't say I'm sorry about that. Except for that meaning it'll be much later before we can settle in LA.”
 
“Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing. Look, I'm going over to that courtesy phone and find out when we're getting out of here.”
 
“Nice line there.”
 
“I'm not surprised. It looks like a couple of other flights were canceled too.” Ryo studied Dee. “Feeling any better?”
 
“A little. I'm sure once I'm on the ground long enough, I'll be fine.”
 
“Good.” Ryo reached out to caress Dee's cheek. “You're still a little clammy, but much better.” He smiled gently at Dee. “Sit here while I make the call. Be back soon, love.”
 
Dee nodded and touched Ryo's hand before it left his face. Ryo watched Dee lean back in his chair and close his eyes. Keeping his eyes on Dee and their carry-ons, Ryo waited his turn on the line to use the courtesy phone.
 
While he waited, he started to make a mental note. They would stop at Starbuck's first and get some tea and water for Dee. Then there should be a gift store he could pick up a couple of cans of ginger ale, so he had it right with him should Dee need it during ascent. He'll get Dee to eat, and pick up some snacks to have on hand.
 
When it was his turn, he spoke pleasantly into the phone. “Hello. I'd like to get new flight information for Randy MacLean and Dee Laytner.”
 
“Who is this speaking?” the harried voice on the other side asked.
 
“This is Randy MacLean. We're traveling together on business and I thought it best to make one call.”
 
“Oh, no problem, Mr. MacLean. You are on flight 347, departing Chicago O'Hare for LAX at 12:45 pm, and Mr. Laytner is on flight 356, departing Chicago O'Hare at 2:15 pm.”
 
“Wait a minute,” Ryo stated, fighting back the feeling of dread. “We're traveling together, so how did we end up on different flights?”
 
“I'm sorry, Mr. MacLean. We are trying the best we can to get all passengers from canceled flights out this afternoon before the weather takes a worse turn.”
 
“Look, you don't understand.”
 
“I do, Mr. MacLean. It's the best we can do. You can wait for Mr. Laytner in LAX. His flight should be arriving only one hour after yours.”
 
“That's not the point, lady,” Ryo snapped. “My partner, he's not feeling well and leaving him to travel alone right now is not an option. Surely there's someone traveling alone on one of our flights that you can switch so we can travel together.”
 
“I'm sorry, Mr. MacLean, but I am only giving out the information I have access to.”
 
“Well, who can I speak to, to make a change?”
 
“I'm afraid that would be difficult. The flight manifests are already approved.”
 
“I don't give a damn about that! I asked who I can speak to.”
 
“Mr. MacLean….”
 
“Tell me, dammit!”
 
“I'm afraid that's impossible.”
 
Ryo noticed the agitated people waiting behind him. As a boarding call went out for a flight, several people behind him glanced anxiously or glared at Ryo, fearing it could be their flight. He ignored them. “Let's make this short and sweet. I don't want excuses, I don't want to hear how impossible it is. Now you tell me who I can speak to, or you can get your supervisor on the line and he or she better be damn more knowledgeable on answering simple questions.”
 
The woman on the other side sighed. “You can speak to an airline representative.”
 
“And you are?”
 
“Sir, you need to speak to someone in reservations. Either at a ticket counter or you can call our toll free number from a regular phone.”
 
“Fine. Thank you!” Ryo slammed the phone down.
 
He turned to look over where he had left Dee to find his partner sitting up and staring at him in concern. He realized only then that he had gotten quite loud as the phone call went on.
 
“What's wrong?” Dee demanded as Ryo came over to stand before him.
 
Ryo shook his head angrily. He looked down at Dee, realizing he would not be helping Dee by snapping at him. He forced a smile on his face. “The good news is you have another two hours on the ground,” he told Dee.
 
Dee peered up at Ryo suspiciously. “Don't patronize me, Ryo. You know better. Get to the bad news.”
 
“Bad news is….” Ryo shook his head again. “I leave in about an hour or so.”
 
“What?”
 
“They put us on different flights, Dee!”
 
“How can they do that?”
 
Ryo caught the flash in Dee's eyes when he mentioned the different flights. It was gone as soon as it appeared, but it was enough to boost Ryo's determination to correct the situation. At any cost.
 
“Stay here, Dee,” Ryo requested. “I'm going to see what I can do about getting us on the same flight.” He turned and left Dee still sitting before his partner could say anything else. As he strode toward the counter, he took out his wallet.
 
“Ryo!” Dee called out.
 
Ryo ignored Dee and continued to the thankfully empty counter. He stopped before the man there, meeting his eyes.
 
“How may I assist you today, sir?” the CSR asked.
 
He suddenly felt Dee standing next to him. “I'm Detective MacLean, of the NYPD and his is Detective Laytner. We're traveling on police business and we need to travel together. Is there any flight I can purchase two tickets to Los Angeles leaving today?”
 
“I'm sorry, Detective. We're booked solid until tomorrow morning. Overbooked in fact.
 
“But we need….” Ryo started to protest.
 
“I suggest talking to your superiors then, Detective MacLean.”
 
“We're on it,” Dee affirmed, touching Ryo's arm. “Come on. Let's give Diana a call and see what she can do for us.” Dee looked back at the CSR. “Besides, that guy looks like the Chicago police don't scare him, never mind some travelers from the NYPD.”
 
“You're probably right. Sit tight, Dee. We're going to leave this airport together,” Ryo affirmed.
 
Dee opened his mouth to say something, then shut it. What he wanted to say would not be the right thing to say to Ryo. But he thought it anyway. `I hope you're right.' He noticed Ryo studying him. “Just call Diana,” he suggested. “See if we can get a flight tomorrow morning. Then once we settle that, we can get a hotel room and just settle down for the day.”
 
“You're right. I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it, huh?
 
Dee gave Ryo a smile. “Nice to know you care that much,” was his reply.
 
They sat down as Ryo called Diana on his cell phone.
 
“Hi Ryo,” Diana greeted. “I supposed you're calling with your new flight information?”
 
“Huh? How do you know?” Ryo asked.
 
“I checked the flight status online and noticed the flight was canceled.”
 
“Yeah, it was. Look, Diana, we have a problem. They scheduled me and Dee for different flights out today.”
 
“That doesn't seem to be a problem,” Diana replied.
 
“It is. Dee didn't take well to the flight here,” Ryo said carefully. “And I really don't want him to deal with a longer flight on his own.”
 
“Ryo, are you sure Dee is all right?” Diana asked, sounding concerned. “I mean, should he be working?”
 
“It's touch and go when he isn't feeling well,” Ryo stated. “But it's not all the time and he is able to do his job. Flying just doesn't agree with him right now.”
 
Diana sighed. “You're going to hate me, Ryo. I really wish I had another answer for you, but I don't. As of last night, word has it that Sinclair is aware of us closing in on him and ready to move again. I need you both here tonight. Even if it means two flights. I need you both, or at least one of you here, ready to move first thing tomorrow morning, if needed.”
 
“Diana,” Ryo started, with an edge in his voice. “I need to get Dee and I on the same flight.”
 
Dee grabbed the cell phone from Ryo. “Diana, Ryo's flight leaves first. And he needs to be heading over to his gate. I'm just a little slow right now, but I'll make sure he gets on the flight.”
 
“Dee, what the hell is going on? What's happening with you?”
 
Dee laughed. “I'm touched with your concern. Really, I'm fine. I just got hit with one of those things and it knocks me on my ass at times.”
 
“So there's really nothing serious? Honestly Dee?”
 
“Honestly, Diana. So let me hang up here and get Ryo to his gate. I'll see you when I get to LA. And take care of Ryo for me when he gets there.”
 
“I will, Dee,” Diana laughed.
 
Dee hung up the phone, aware of Ryo's intense glare. Dee shrugged. “We could always tell her,” he said.
 
“We will. When we're both there. Speaking of. Let me see where our flights are leaving from.”
 
“I can handle walking now,” Dee assured Ryo, standing up and bending to pick up his carry-on.
 
“Here, Dee, let me.”
 
“Ryo! I can handle this. Please. Now just calm down, baby. I'm not going to end up raising this kid and Bikky alone because you gave yourself a stroke or something.”
 
Ryo's eyes met Dee's. “I'm sorry. I can't help being worried at times. I know you're not crippled. But I also worry that sometimes you also have to prove to yourself that you're still a man.”
 
Dee ran his hand through his hair, pushing his bangs back off his face. “I'm trying not to be that bad. Really, if I know I can't handle something, I'll tell you. I promise. I couldn't do that to you, Ryo. We're going to get through this together. Right?”
 
“Right.” Ryo looked at Dee, then reached out to pull him close for a hug. “I love you, Dee,” he whispered.
 
Dee's eyes were wide, suddenly finding himself in Ryo's arms in the middle of a busy airport. He shook off his shock to reply, “You know I love you too. Now c'mon. Let's get to where you should be.”
 
Ryo and Dee walked over to one of the timetables on a wall. Ryo took out his notepad to look at the flight numbers. “Okay, my flight is 347, leaving from Gate K11, and yours is 356, gate L7.”
 
Dee quietly looked up at the gate they were standing near. L5. Which would mean they would have to walk through most of that concourse and over to the K concourse and down to the far end. Then Dee would have to walk back to the spot they were and go past for two gates.
 
Ryo stared at the airport map, then back to his notes. “This is not happening! No way! I'm not going to have you walk across the entire friggin' airport because a bunch of idiots can't understand traveling together.”
 
“Ryo,” Dee sighed patiently. “We can stand here and argue airport logistics until it's time for you to get on that plane. Or we can start walking so we have time for me to stop if needed. But we both know we're going to do the right thing. It's only for a few hours. Before you know it, we'll be in Los Angeles and checking into our hotel.”
 
Ryo stared at Dee. He tried to glare at his dark haired partner. “You know, Dee, I really hate it when you make sense.”
 
Dee laughed. “You only hate it when you're not making sense.”
 
Ryo touched Dee's arm, smiling at him. “You're good for walking?” he asked. When Dee nodded, Ryo said, “Come on then.”
 
They walked over to the concourse Ryo was to depart from. Along the way, they had stopped so Dee could get a bottle of water and something for them to eat.
 
Just before they got to the gate, Ryo got another burst of energy in attempting to change their travel plans and insisted on trying one more thing. He took out his cell phone and called all the airlines that flew out of O'Hare, inquiring about purchasing two tickets on the same flight for that day. He hung up from the final call, muttering a string of blistering curses.
 
“Damn Ryo. If people can do all that, we wouldn't need each other,” Dee joked weakly. He hated seeing Ryo like that, and felt guilty that it was because of him. He wanted to put a smile on Ryo's face, keep him happy. Not see him growling and grumping and about to go off on someone for looking at them the wrong way. “Ryo, I'm going to be fine,” he tried to assure his partner. “Just cool down so I can stop worrying about you. `Cause I am, you know.” Dee could not stop his bottom lip from sticking out and quivering, despite his attempt to play it cool and ignore whatever sickness still refused to let go of him.
 
Ryo glanced at Dee's face and his fell. “Ah shit. I'm sorry, Dee.”
 
“Go get checked in. Okay? Then we can sit down, eat our lunch and have some quality time before we have to go running all over LA with Diana and her people.”
 
“We won't have Diana with us at night,” Ryo assured Dee with a gentle smile. “All right. I'll get checked in.”
 
As Ryo waited behind the person at the counter, he noticed that person was buying a ticket for his flight. The man stepped away, ticket in his hand, and Ryo stepped up, his mood changing for the worst abruptly. “I'd like to check in and buy an additional ticket for this flight,” he stated, trying to keep his voice calm.
 
“I'm sorry, sir. We have no more seats available.”
 
“But you just sold that guy one!” he exclaimed, losing his temper.
 
“It was the only seat available.”
 
“I was told before that there weren't any seats for this flight. Now you just went and sold one?” Ryo insisted.
 
“There was a last minute cancellation, sir,” the airline representative explained patiently.
 
“How long ago?” Ryo demanded.
 
“Less than five minutes ago. That gentleman has been waiting for a seat to open on a flight to Los Angeles since this morning.”
 
Ryo was about to blow up when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Immediately he knew who it was and felt it keep him from shouting.
 
“Is there any possibility of another cancellation?” Dee calmly asked.
 
The man looked at Dee's hand on Ryo's shoulder, then at Ryo, before answering Dee. “Mr. MacLean is the last passenger needed to check in.”
 
“What about on flight 356?” Ryo asked.
 
The airline representative check the computer. “Only one passenger is yet to check in for his boarding pass.”
 
Dee sighed and took out his wallet. He presented his ID, along with his boarding pass from his previous flight. “Is it possible for me to get my boarding pass here?” he asked.
 
“Yes. Of course, Mr. Laytner. And now all passengers will be checked in. I'm sorry, gentlemen.”
 
Ryo remained quiet during the process of obtaining their boarding passes. Then Dee lead them to two empty seats. Ryo took out their food and handed Dee his sandwich. As they ate, Ryo started to give Dee instructions.
 
“Remember on the way back to your gate to pick up some snacks and stuff that will help ease the nausea, and get water and ginger ale to have on you during take off so you don't have to wait until the plane gets to cruising altitude,” he instructed Dee.
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Dee said with a soft smile. “I'll pick up whatever I need that I can carry, stop and rest if I need to, but not miss my flight. In exchange, I want to know you're not going to give yourself an ulcer by the next time I see you.”
 
Ryo sighed and took Dee's hand. “I don't know why this is so hard, Dee.”
 
“I think I know,” Dee stated quietly.
 
“Oh?”
 
Dee shrugged. “Easy. If it was reversed, I'd be acting pretty much the same way. We've always protected each other, even back when we were only partners. But we're not just duty partners. We're partners in every sense of the word and then some. So now, more than ever you can't help but need to protect. Ryo, I understand, but I can't help feeling guilty seeing you get bent all out of shape. I want you to be smiling, to feel happy….”
 
Ryo cut Dee off by putting his fingers on Dee's mouth. “Hush now. Don't let this nasty scowl fool you, Dee. I'm very happy. I'm going to try best I can to show you how happy I am. How happy you make me, love. So don't start getting all upset because part of my happiness is to keep you well and by my side.” Ryo smiled warmly at the soft look on Dee's face, dark jade eyes glittering with love. He let out a sigh. “Just let's get something clear right now. Don't think I don't trust you, but we both know you can get stubborn. Very stubborn. That's what worries me.”
 
“I'll give you that. I don't mind your concern and caring, but Ryo, please, don't kill yourself in the process. Because that isn't protecting me.”
 
“You're right, Dee. But I still don't want to leave you here alone.”
 
“I'll be all right, Ryo. Honestly. I'm feeling better.”
 
Ryo studied him, the hand still holding Dee's squeezing tighter. “Then why do I get this sense of unease from you?”
 
Dee gaped at Ryo. “Huh?”
 
“Every time you mention it, your eyes say you don't want to get on the plane. You can't lie to me when you're eyes are showing the truth.”
 
“I just feel a little hesitant to go through all that again, and this time for four hours. That's all. But I survived the first flight, I'll do the same with the second.”
 
“There's more, Dee.”
 
“Ah shit,” Dee muttered. Looking down he said, “Well it would be easier… nah, forget it.” He turned his head to look at the other passengers, thinking about what he did not want to say to Ryo. It was true that he was not looking forward to get on a plane, certain he would get just as sick again. A lot more sick than he had been feeling on and off since they were in Chicago. It almost produced an anxiety when thinking about getting onto a plane by himself, without Ryo to hold him and assure him he would be okay. He could not allow Ryo to know the entire truth, not about the anxiety. It was a moot point anyway, because want to or not, he'd get on his flight. Especially if Ryo was waiting for him.
 
He felt arms go around him from behind. Ryo placed his head next to his. “Are you trying to protect me now?” Ryo softly asked.
 
Dee found himself leaning into the hold, his mind on the other thoughts he had been trying to keep from Ryo. He found them pouring out of his mouth before he realized he was talking. “I didn't want to watch you get on that plane after only a quick hug and a slap on the back,” Dee admitted.
 
“I wasn't expecting you to, Dee,” Ryo replied, his hold tighter.
 
“But….” Dee twisted so he could face Ryo. “I know how you are about public affection.”
 
“How I was, Dee. Look at us right now, baby. I've been the fool.” Ryo moved to close the distance to lightly kiss Dee. “Not anymore. I already know I'm going to spend the rest of my life with you. And now, you're carrying our child. I can't deny what we have. Not when I want the whole world to know you're mine.”
 
Dee looked amazed, and somewhat concerned. “Are you really going to be able to?” he asked.
 
Ryo looked deep into Dee's eyes. Dee shivered from what he saw in those dark beautiful eyes.
 
“Yes, Dee,” Ryo replied. “Yes, I can. Because I love you. So come a little closer so I can start proving it.”
 
Dee found himself moving before Ryo finished speaking, falling into Ryo's embrace.
 
Ryo went to kiss Dee when they heard a disgusted voice from nearby. “Damn faggots. I don't care what the law says, `cause the law is wrong. You faggots need to be locked up and away from decent people's eyes.”
 
Dee felt Ryo tense with the words. Reacting from past experience in similar situations, Dee started to pull away, to give Ryo space, and if needed, allow Ryo to hide. Dee also had to fight down his own urge to smash the offender in a pulp.
 
He did not get far. Ryo's hold on him tightened. “Fuck him,” Ryo stated before finishing what he had started to do before the stranger spoke. He kissed Dee. Deeply and passionately. He pulled away. “There's more to come when we're in LA.”
 
Dee could only stare at Ryo in awe and wonder.
 
Ryo turned his head and gave the man who spoke his glare of doom. “You're going to do what about it?” Ryo asked him.
 
“I'm… um….” The man turned and slinked off into the crowd that was waiting to board the next two flights.
 
Dee smiled brightly at Ryo. He opened his mouth to say how proud he was when he heard the applause and whistles directed at Ryo.
 
“Love is a sight more decent than his hatred,” a woman with two young children stated to Ryo with a gentle smile.
 
Ryo started to blush, before lowering it. He shook his head, then lifted his chin proudly and looked back at the woman with a smile. “I know what you mean.” His gaze shifted to Dee and his smile warmed. Turning back to the woman, he added, “Thank you, ma'am.”
 
Dee stood and took Ryo by his hand. Quickly glancing around at the various people whose attention was on Ryo, he noticed among several pregnant women, two men among Ryo's supporters. One of the pregnant males was in the arms of his spouse, Dee was able to determine from the matching rings on the ring fingers. His attention back to his partner, he pulled him to his feet. “Let's find a corner somewhere for a proper send off, shall we?” he asked, beaming proudly at Ryo.
 
“Let's go,” was Ryo's response.
 
It was not private, but the corner they settled in was better than sitting in the middle of the waiting room. Ryo had Dee against the wall as he kissed him. Sweet, loving kisses that warmed Dee to the core.
 
Too much had happened that day for Dee. He had been fighting to look and act better than he was feeling. Ryo's kisses had been helping with that. He still had his anxiety of the second flight and having to go it alone. His anxiety spilled over to knowing he would have to let Ryo go or possibly push him onto his flight, being left alone in Chicago until he had to get on that cursed flight.
 
It came over him without warning. In horror, Dee felt his eyes fill with tears as he desperately grabbed onto Ryo in a death grip.
 
“Dee? What's wrong, baby? Oh God, Dee!” Ryo held him tighter, tensing up and filled with concern and fear seeing the tears in Dee's eyes.
 
“I don't….” Dee gasped, trying hard not to start crying. “I can't let you go,” he ended up babbling. He buried his face in Ryo's shoulder, trying hard to pull himself together. He realized what he had done, and saw the stubbornness back on Ryo's face before he hid his own.
 
“Dee,” Ryo started, rubbing his back.
 
Ryo was cut off as a pleasant sounding female voice came over the loudspeaker, announcing the pre-boarding for his flight.
 
Dee lifted his head, wiping his eyes. “I'm sorry for being an idiot. It just felt so good being held by you,” he stated. “I got lost in the feelings and these stupid hormones snuck up at me and attacked. I'm fine, Ryo. Really. Get ready to board.”
 
In the end they both would do what needed to be done, Dee reassured himself. As hard as it was, he found himself doing just that. Staring at the determined face glancing up at him, he knew he just needed to get Ryo to remember that.
 
“I can't, Dee!” Ryo protested.
 
No one said it was going to be easy.
 
“You can,” Dee insisted. He leaned forward and kissed Ryo, before pulling back abruptly in mid kiss as the passion started to rise. “Get on that plane and wait for me in LA. Then you can finish off what we just started.”
 
“Dee, are you sure?” Ryo still did not look convinced. He was staring into Dee's eyes again. Dee broke the contact. “I don't want you to be alone.”
 
Dee cupped Ryo's cheek. “I'm not alone. Not knowing you're waiting for me in the California sun. Now, get going so I can take my sweet time getting to my gate without making myself ill again.” He started to guide Ryo toward the line. “And to have time to stop off and pick up water and ginger ale, some snacks. Maybe I might even grab a light meal. A salad or something.” As he spoke, he guided Ryo toward the line.
 
Dee and Ryo waited with arms around each other. When the call came for Ryo's row to board, Ryo pulled Dee into an embrace and kissed him. “I'll see you in a little while, love.”
 
“You betcha. Get some sleep on the flight. That would make it go faster. I'll try to do the same. Love you, Ryo.”
 
“I love you, Dee.” They kissed again before Ryo reluctantly pulled away.
 
Dee stood and watched as Ryo boarded the plane. Just inside the gate, Ryo turned one more time and put his hand to his mouth to throw Dee a kiss. He mouthed, “Love you.”
 
Dee pretended to catch it with a smile on his face and put the hand to his mouth. “Love you too,” he mouthed back.
 
Ryo turned and then was gone from Dee's sight.
 
Dee stood for a few more minutes, clenching his carry on, his eyes looking at the large glass window and beyond to the plane that was taking Ryo away from him. It was only for a few hours, he tried to convince himself. Soon enough, he'd be on a plane himself and Ryo would be waiting for him as he departed from the gate. Unable to stand and stare any longer, Dee walked away and went into the nearest men's room. He went into an empty stall in the back, collapsing on the toilet seat.
 
He felt ill, scared and frightened. He was alone. He felt the anxiety and fear grip him. He huddled into himself and started to cry. He cried as he never had in his adult life.