Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ The Party Begins ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 21
The Party Begins
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Big special thanks to DeeRyoFan and Gracie Musica for all their help with the party!!! I couldn't have pulled this off without them. *hugs*
 
Note: The next few chapters will be the party. It ended up being quite long, but there was a lot going on leading up to the big moment, and I decided not to leave a thing out. So welcome to Dee and Ryo's big New Year's Eve bash! Take out your favorite drink, grab some snacks and mingle with the other guests. Pictures are allowed. *LOL* (and if anyone manages to get any, send them to me!)
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
December 31, 2005
 
“Dee!” the people in the dining area heard coming through the apartment.
 
Elena and Rick shook their heads in amusement. Dee paused in checking over the table with the platters set out, making sure there was one of everything they had to offer in food and check the general layout of the table.
 
He was already dressed for the party, wearing a pair of black designer jeans and his shirt was dark green with a black collar and cuffs, and black trim down the front where the gold buttons were. It was loose and comfortable and Dee had decided to wear it out of his pants. If he tucked it in, he knew he would end up playing with how it draped from his waistband and worry himself whether or not his guests would figure out the truth before it was time for them to learn.
 
Wearing the shirt in that manner, he did not have to wear a belt, something he had started to avoid wearing whenever he could in the last week. It was more psychological than an actual physical annoyance, Vince had assured him the day before. Being very aware of the baby growing within him, and `feeling pregnant' made him hesitant about wearing a belt, even loose. At work, for a few weeks more at least, he knew he would not be able to avoid it, but every chance he got out of work, he knew he'd rather go without. His jeans were new and bought with a waist an inch bigger than his normal size. They still fit the way he liked to look in jeans, but the extra inch gave him the same relief from anxiety that going without a belt did.
 
Bikky's guests started to arrive shortly after Dee walked out of the bedroom. A couple of kids from the orphanage and two sets of parents dropping off their boys who were on Bikky's basketball team, thanking Dee for hosting a party for his son's friends that night. Bikky and Carol were currently entertaining all the kids in his room.
 
“That's so not good,” Dee muttered. “Is it just me, or is he worse than usual? I'll be right back,” he said to Elena and Rick.
 
Elena winked at Rick with a knowing smile. She looked lovely in her black and red dress topped off with a short glittery red jacket. “Go ahead, Dee,” she said. “It's all in place. The plates and utensils are where they should be. The flower arrangements are beautiful. Even the party favors are nicely set out.” She laughed. “You're getting almost as bad as Ryo there.”
 
“Hey, don't insult a pregnant man here!” Dee yelped, in mock horror. He winked at them and paused by the table with the drinks on it.
 
Rick laughed, placing his hands on Dee's shoulders. “It's all there, son,” he assured, giving Dee a playful push in the direction Ryo's voice came from. Rick was dressed as casual as Dee and Ryo had decided dress, wearing a pair of dark blue slacks and a pinstriped shirt.
 
“DEE!” The frantic yell was closer.
 
“Oh oh, now you're in trouble,” Rick stated with a snicker.
 
“Yeesh,” Dee muttered as he took a step to go from the dining area into the living room when he came face to face with a harried looking Ryo.
 
“Have you seen the sweater you gave me for Christmas?” Ryo asked in a near shout.
 
Dee looked at his partner, dressed in a pair of brown chinos and a white undershirt. The two men had ended up falling asleep when they went to rest and slept past the time Ryo had set for the time to start getting dressed. Dee had suggested separate showers, knowing showering together did not save them time and realizing they did not have the time to take one after the other. Ryo had grabbed his toiletries and used the other bathroom. Dee took less time in getting dressed than Ryo, who had decided he did not like the pair of pants he had put aside the night before to wear. He was not happy with his shirt either. He fussed with his hair long enough in the bathroom, finally entering the bedroom as Dee was looking himself over in the mirror, deciding he was ready.
 
Dee left Ryo in the bedroom to go check on the set up, and to avoid the storm of curses as Ryo searched through his clothing to find something suitable to wear. It seemed that the top Ryo finally decided on was nowhere to be found. Bad enough, Ryo could not find the item he set his mind on wearing, but he was probably frantic because he could not find what he had claimed to be his favorite top because it was Dee's gift to him.
 
Before he had a chance to reply, the doorbell rang, announcing that their first guest was a few minutes early. Glancing at his watch, Dee realized whoever it was arrived with only a few minutes before the time on the invitations. Some of the others would start trickling in soon.
 
“Aw shit!” Ryo exclaimed, rushing across the living room toward the bedroom. “Dee, can you get that? Please?”
 
“Yeah, calm down!” Dee called out. He watched as Ryo ran into the bedroom, slamming the door behind him. “Damn I hope he doesn't pop or something along the night,” Dee muttered as he walked across the living room, checking one last time as he did that it looked okay.
 
He opened the door to find JJ, looking very dashing in a dark Armani suit, the smaller man adjusting his tie. He smiled at JJ. “Hey,” he greeted.
 
JJ removed his hand from his tie and smiled up at Dee. “Hi Dee!” he greeted enthusiastically. He bounced on the balls of his feet, barely restraining himself from glomping Dee.
 
From behind him, Dee heard the bedroom door open and the rush of feet through the living room.
 
Ryo joined him at the door, wearing a soft black sweater that was Dee's. It had been a gift from Ryo the year before. It was one of the few sweaters Dee loved, with a v-cut neck and trimmed in maroon. Dee decided it looked better with Ryo wearing it.
 
“Oh, hi JJ,” Ryo greeted, still sounding a bit rushed.
 
“Am I too early?” JJ asked, his eyes on Dee.
 
Ryo pushed Dee away from the door, opening it further. “Let him in, Dee,” Ryo insisted.
 
“Nah,” Dee replied to JJ, stepping along to wherever Ryo placed him. “Come on in.”
 
JJ frowned at Ryo. “Hi Ryo,” he greeted coolly, the bouncing suddenly coming to a stop.
 
Dee rolled his eyes at Ryo. “Dude. Calm. It'll be okay.”
 
Ignoring Dee, Ryo stated to JJ, “You're just on time. One of the few people who can do that.”
 
At the threshold of the door, JJ held out a festive bag in metallic colors and shining multicolored ribbons and bow that obviously held alcohol. The way he held it out meant it was intended for Dee and Ryo. “I bought you a bottle of wine,” JJ stated, his tone meaning it was for Dee.
 
Dee smiled in appreciation. “Thank you, JJ!” He knew either Ryo would end up enjoying it alone, or it would sit on the wine rack until Dee was able to drink again. Dee opened the bag and removed the bottle.
 
Ryo leaned over to look at the label along with Dee. “Wonderful choice, JJ,” Ryo exclaimed. “Thank you.”
 
“You're welcome,” JJ replied to Ryo. He turned his head to look at the man standing next to Ryo. “It's your favorite, Dee, as far as I know.” JJ smiled up at Dee brilliantly.
 
Ryo grabbed the bottle from Dee. It had once been Dee's favorite wine until he discovered another that Ryo came home with one day. It was still a good wine that they both loved, but Dee would not be able to drink for another 7 months.
 
Dee indicated with his hand for JJ to come inside the apartment. “Why don't you go sit in the living room, and me an' Ryo'll bring out something to snack on?”
 
JJ stepped into the apartment, taking off his coat and scarf. He glanced around at the interior.
 
Dee took the coat and scarf from JJ and hung it up on a coat rack that stood in the corner of the room near the door.
 
JJ walked further into the apartment, realizing how much had changed from what he remembered the place that Dee had called home for many years had looked like not even six months ago. No longer were there piles of Dee's possessions stacked against the walls. The only things that lined the walls were folding chairs, waiting for guests to use, and wooden snack tables with chips and assorted other items for the guests within easy reach. The framed pictures that formerly were in those piles now hung on the walls, along with a few JJ recognized as Ryo's. The hardwood floor that JJ remembered as beaten and scuffed had been redone and stained to look like red oak, and was highly polished. Colorful carpets and runners were placed strategically on the floor to keep bare feet from getting cold on winter nights. The makeshift cinderblock end tables and Dee's couch were gone, replaced by Ryo's living room set. An additional new couch in complimenting colors joined Ryo's couch, along with a big, comfortable looking armchair. JJ noticed other furniture that was either Ryo's or new, including the glass corner curio that rose almost to the ceiling, and was lighted from the inside, containing various items for display. JJ guessed not all of the items were Ryo's. He did not dare inspect the items too closely, feeling it was a bit too cozy for personal mementos of both men to be intermingled in the space. The window seat before the large window was fixed to serve as an additional couch, with drapery hanging from the ceiling and tied back before the window seat. Next to the window seat was the Christmas tree. The lamps set on the end tables looked as if they came from an antique store, the lampshades covered with fancy netted beading.
 
JJ had to admit he loved what was done to the apartment, but he felt it was not something Dee would choose if he was alone in making choices during the renovation. If JJ moved in with Dee, even if only as a roommate, he never would had forced Dee to alter his lifestyle so much.
 
The only things that felt like Dee to JJ was the new track lighting along the living room ceiling.
 
Dee now had a dining area, JJ observed. Not in the place where Dee once had a dinette table that seemed to come and go over the years. Where the kitchen had once been was a dining area with a table that easily sat six comfortably, along with a hutch. One wall of the dining area was a half wall that looked into the new kitchen if the shades were drawn up. There was also a door that was the entry to the kitchen. The dining table, along with a folding table were covered with tablecloths and loaded with platters and dishes of a variety of food. Too much food for JJ to gather what there was in just a glance. Another longer narrow table was set up along the window to the kitchen, set with a wide selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, as well as cocktail mixers. Dee and Ryo had gone all out for this party. JJ suspected it was Ryo's doing. It was after all just a New Year's Eve party. Dee had hosted one before, serving chips and cold cuts, along with appetizers bought in the frozen food section of the Food Emporium. Beer and a few basic types of alcohol was the selection for drinks. That was Dee's idea of a party.
 
The apartment was warm and cozy, the colors meant to make the apartment feel inviting. JJ should have liked it more. The entire place seemed to scream Ryo at him. And worse. There was something, a feeling, a touch of atmosphere that JJ sensed. Instead of it being an apartment where two roommates, one with a teenage son, lived, it implied it was a home with a family. JJ pushed the implications from his mind.
 
He rubbed his hands together as he approached a couch. “Cozy and warm in here,” he stated without thinking.
 
“Nice, huh?” Dee replied with a proud grin, standing in the middle of the living room, watching JJ sit down.
 
“What would you like to drink, JJ?” Ryo asked.
 
“White wine, please?” he asked. “If you already have it open.”
 
“No worries, JJ. Hopefully everything will be open soon enough anyway.” He chuckled as he walked over to the table where the alcohol was and started to open a bottle of white wine. While JJ had been looking over the apartment, Ryo had taken the bottle of wine JJ bought and set it in the kitchen.
 
JJ turned to watch as Ryo left the living room, looking a bit confused.
 
Dee smiled at JJ. “He's totally lost it.” He tapped his head.
 
JJ looked up at Dee, smiling. “So you finally noticed?”
 
Dee laughed. “More than normal. You know how he gets.”
 
“Yeah, always in control.”
 
“Yeah, and when he's not, he goes `round the bend.”
 
JJ smiled warmly at Dee. “You're both in a good mood tonight.”
 
Ryo came from the dining area with a glass of wine. He stopped before JJ to hand it to their guest. “Here you go, JJ.”
 
“Thank you,” JJ replied as he took the glass from Ryo.
 
Dee took a few steps to stand next to Ryo. “Do you want something?” he asked his partner.
 
Ryo shook his head in response. “Not yet. But soon.”
 
JJ looked around again, his eyes settling on the tree. “Nice tree,” he commented.
 
“Yeah, it is. Dee and the kids did a wonderful job with it,” Ryo said, turning his head to smile warmly at Dee.
 
“Hey,” Dee remarked, holding up his hands, “I just had to haul it.”
 
Ryo nudged Dee lightly in the side, knowing very well he had hauled the tree into the house, allowing Dee to help lever it. “For once, you overtook supervising of decorations.”
 
Dee chuckled.
 
JJ sipped his wine, his eyes on the two men before him, watching them interact. He fought to ignore the nagging feeling tugging at his gut.
 
“That's something I hope to never happen again,” Ryo laughed. Mimicking Dee the best he could, he continued on, “No Bikky. Dammit! How many freakin' times do I have to tell you that you can't put two mirrored ornaments next to each other. Ah shit, not two reds in the same area. No colors the same, get it?” Ryo sighed and in his own voice said, “And so it went until finally the tree was to Dee's standard.”
 
JJ took another sip of his wine, trying to ignore that while the two seemed the same that he knew from work, there was something different. He found he could not help but laugh at Ryo's complaining, finding it amusing. Ryo had Dee down perfect in a way that made you laugh. “He's getting as bad as you then, huh?” he asked Ryo.
 
Dee laughed.
 
Ryo shook his head, looking at JJ. “And stringing the lights? Holy crap, he's a pain in the ass! No two lights of the same color had to be next to each other. You know how many times he restrung the lights before we could take out the ornaments? I thought it would be past Bikky's bedtime by then.”
 
“No?” JJ asked, sounding partially scandalized. His eyes flickered to Dee before going back to Ryo.
 
Ryo laughed, patting Dee's arm. “Dee's an artist at heart. He gets picky about that type of stuff.”
 
“I know, Ryo,” JJ replied. “He's always been like that. Even at the academy.” He smiled up at Dee.
 
Dee snorted. “You're both just pickin' on me now.”
 
“I'd never pick on you, Dee,” JJ defended immediately.
 
“Yeah right,” Ryo said in reply to Dee's comment. “We won't even go into choosing color schemes around the apartment….”
 
Dee merely shrugged sheepishly. “For once I had the money and the time to do it right. What can I say?”
 
“Mhmm…” JJ forced out as a reply, struggling to hide he was getting upset at the closeness between Ryo and Dee. There was something different about them that night, something they dared not allow while at work.
 
“Ah, that's it,” Dee stated. “I need a drink.” He walked over to the dining area and poured himself some ginger ale, and filled a wine glass with white wine for Ryo.
 
“JJ, do you want something to eat?” Ryo asked. “We have everything from appetizers to the main meal set out. And more in the kitchen.”
 
The doorbell rang as JJ replied to Ryo, “No thanks. I'm not hungry yet.”
 
Ryo looked over toward where Dee was. “I'll get it. Dee, make sure JJ gets something to start off with. He's bound to get hungry eventually.” He started to walk over to the door.
 
The doorbell rang again as he approached the door and opened it.
 
“Hola collega!” Drake greeted cheerfully.
 
“Hey Drake!” Ryo greeted. “Come in!” He stepped out of the way of the door for Drake to enter.
 
Drake removed his leather jacket. “Brr… it's fucking cold outside,” he said as Ryo took the jacket to hang it up.
 
Dee returned to where JJ sat, sipping his ginger ale and holding the glass of wine. He smiled at JJ. “He needs to calm down,” Dee said, indicating the glass of wine.
 
JJ looked at the drink Dee sipped on, realizing it was ginger ale. Meaning he was still on medication and unable to drink alcohol yet. He mentally kicked himself for bringing the wine for Dee, now knowing that Dee would not be drinking that night, and for who knew how long after. It seemed only Ryo and Dee knew for sure and was not willing to share more than was told that night in the bar. Whatever it was, JJ kept assuring himself it could not be so bad. Unless…. He glanced around at the fancy spread and all the extras that the two men had put into for this party. There were people invited that were normally not invited to get togethers at Dee's previously. JJ fought down the horrifying thought that they were preparing in case it was Dee's last New Year's Eve.
 
Drake walked across the living room to join Dee and JJ, Ryo walking behind him.
 
“Hey!” Drake exclaimed, looking at JJ. “There's my man!” He bent down to give JJ a friendly slap on the shoulder.
 
“Hey, Drakey-pooh,” JJ greeted his partner, in an effort to be friendly. He wanted to forget the unpleasant thought, telling himself he was only letting his imagination get away with him. Dee was fine. He was just taking better care of his health so he would be around longer. JJ grasped onto that thought.
 
Drake looked over to Dee, who tried to wave best he could with both hands filled.
 
As Ryo approached them, Dee handed his partner the wine glass. “Drink,” he said.
 
Ryo took the offered glass, smiling at Dee. “Thank you.”
 
Drake came up to Dee. “Heyo Dee-machine!” He slapped Dee on the shoulder much as he had with JJ.
 
Dee returned the gestured, studying Drake. “Dude, how much have you had already?” he asked, amused.
 
“What?” Drake asked, a bit defensively. “Can't a man be in a good mood nowadays?” He turned his head to grin at JJ.
 
JJ grinned back, then took another sip of his wine.”
 
Drake looked at Dee, pointing to his drink. “Aw, still on the meds? On New Year's Eve. That bites, dude!”
 
“Yeah it does,” Dee chuckled. “But I'll survive. Assuming the rest of you drunks don't drive me crazy.” He laughed, winking at Ryo, who chuckled at Dee's comment.
 
Ryo had a sip of his wine, then looked at his guests. “Okay, here's the deal. As much as I enjoy it, Dee and I are not going to get everything for you guys except the first drink.”
 
“I am!” Dee exclaimed. “Dude, I'm starving. So I'll set them up with food while I'm at it.”
 
Ryo shook his head affectionately at Dee. To Drake and JJ, he said, “Well, after that, you fend for yourselves. Food and drinks are in the dining area.” He gestured to the room that also served as the passage way to the other side of the newly expanded apartment.
 
“Ah, that's alright, Mr. Smooth Operator!” Drake said to Ryo. “Just show me where the beer is.”
 
“It's right there,” Ryo said with a laugh. He looked over to Dee. “You're starving? What a surprise, considering you had to sample almost everything.” He laughed again.
 
JJ and Drake exchanged glances upon Ryo's remark to Dee.
 
Drake peered at Dee. “Snacking again? Watch it, man, or you're gonna look like the Walrus in no time.” He snickered as he walked over to the buffet spread.
 
Dee laughed and followed Drake. “Hey, come on, man. Don't say such mean things.”
 
Ryo stood for a moment, watching as JJ stood up to follow Drake and Dee. He walked past JJ, who was moving slowly, joining Dee and Drake at the buffet table. “Dee won't get fat,” he stated to Drake. He winked at Dee, with an impish grin. Dee ducked his head, lifting his glass to finish his ginger ale. The green eyes that stared over the glass, warned Ryo to behave.
 
“Wow!” Drake said amazed, looking at the spread before him. “Did you make this stuff, Ryo? Poor Dee. I'll bet you had him slaving in the kitchen helping.” He snickered at his comment. “No wonder Dee had to sample. It looks great!”
 
JJ quietly came up from behind the others and stood off a little to the side of Drake, not making a move to get anything to eat.
 
Ryo smiled as he picked up two plates, handing one to Dee. “Most of it. The party platters we ordered from Zabar's. The rest is me, Dee and… my aunt Elena.” He heard the shade go up and turned to see Elena standing by the breakfast bar, waving to everyone.
 
Ryo waved back. “Did everyone meet my aunt?” he asked.
 
“Oh! Look Jemmy!” Drake exclaimed to JJ. “Plums wrapped in bacon. Your favorite!”
 
JJ finally looked interested as he took a step closer to both Drake and the table. “Oh! Where? Don't you dare eat them all, Drakey!” he warned.
 
Drake grabbed one from the plate and popped it into his mouth. He grinned as he turned toward the kitchen to wave at Elena.
 
JJ looked over to wave at her as well, walking over to her. He held his hand out over the makeshift bar. “Nice to meet you, madame.”
 
Elena took the offered hand for a shake. “JJ, isn't it?,” she asked with a smile. “I've heard much about you. It's great to finally meet you.”
 
JJ started to blush as he listened to Ryo's aunt so nicely greet him. “Oh? Thank you,” he said.
 
Drake came over to JJ's side, swallowing the food in his mouth. He held out his hand, following JJ's example. “You must be Aunt Elena,” he stated.
 
“That I am,” Elena replied, taking Drake's hand. “And you have to be Drake. Nice to meet you too. And no worries. We have plenty of food and beer here.” She giggled.
 
Dee came up behind JJ and patted him on the back. “Don't worry, it wasn't all bad. Unlike with you, Parker.”
 
Drake patted JJ on the back, speaking to Elena. “Don't believe a word they said about me!”
 
Ryo snorted. “Right! My uncle made sure to pick up an extra case of beer for Drake.”
 
JJ laughed. “Oh! That and if it was about his endless appetite. THAT'S the sad truth!”
 
“Hey now,” Drake warned. “No insulting Drakey-pooh in front of Ryo's auntie.”
 
JJ laughed harder. “Moron.”
 
“Oh, don't worry. Ryo and Dee hold nothing back about their friends,” Elena remarked with a wicked grin. She winked at the men.
 
JJ and Drake laughed.
 
“You boys go on and have fun,” she said. “I'm just getting a few last minute things whipped up for everyone, and I'll be out there to mingle.”
 
“Then the party will really start,” Ryo cracked, winking at his aunt. “You guys look out for her. She's not as harmless as she looks.”
 
“Listen you,” Elena warned, shaking a mixing spoon at him, then sighed. “Ah, who am I kidding? You never listen.”
 
Ryo busted out in laughter. “I love you too, dearheart.”
 
JJ and Drake looked on, amused at the exchange between Ryo and his aunt. Somehow they were not expecting something like that.
 
Behind them, Dee was selecting a few things he was able to eat, staring wistfully at the delicious selection of foods that he was told he could not eat. He decided later when Ryo was not looking, he'd sample a few. Not much. It would not kill him or harm the baby. Vince had assured him of that, giving him the list of foods that he absolutely had to avoid. There wasn't much to that list, but unfortunately sushi was on it. There were a few other foods that he was to avoid. The rest of the stay away list was strongly suggested for an uncomplicated pregnancy and to assure a healthy baby. Having a bite or two once in a while from the list was no harm. Vince already had gone over cravings with him and Ryo, stating that sometimes it will be for something that was suggested he not eat. If he did, he did, as long as it was in moderation. The best thing would be to avoid the foods on both lists, but Vince admitted that even he could not avoid some foods. He did not expect Dee to be perfect.
 
Unfortunately, despite the talk with their doctor, Ryo did expect Dee to be perfect. So he would have to sneak later. Perhaps after he got more alcohol into Ryo. Dee had insisted earlier that Ryo be allowed to drink during the party. Dee decided that Ryo had to get at least slightly drunk so he would unwind and allow himself to have a good time and finally stop thinking he had to control everything. While it was not in the manner Ryo preferred, since Dee was remaining sober that night, he would make sure guests did not get out of hand, including the teenagers, and that their guests were being well provided for. Elena would make sure the food continued to be available, and Rick would have a handle on the alcohol. Elena, Rick and Dee had worked it out in the time Ryo was getting dressed, as they took care of the last minute preparations.
 
JJ, Drake and Ryo returned to the table and started to fill their own plates. The four men talked quietly as they picked from the variety of food.
 
Instead of the doorbell ringing, there was a series of loud knocks on the door. “Open up!” they heard Ted's voice bellow out. “NYPD. Open up!”
 
Ryo looked at the others. “You think that's Ted?” he asked with a smirk. “I'm glad we're the only ones on this floor.”
 
Dee looked up. “I've got it, Ryo. Carry on.” He went over to the door and opened it. “You'll never get me alive, pigs!” he exclaimed.
 
Ryo stayed with their other guests, still choosing what he wanted to eat. Once he got to the table, he realized he was also hungry. He watched as Drake dug out a serving spoon to scoop some scalloped potatoes onto his place. “I should warn you guys, half of what's here, Dee made.” He chuckled at Drake, who paused in his action and looked surprised down at the food now on his plate and then onto the table.
 
“No shit?” Drake asked. “I didn't know Dee could cook.”
 
JJ also glanced about the table, as if trying to determine what dishes Dee had made, most certainly to make sure he try them all. “I'm sure it's delicious,” he stated happily.
 
Elena was coming out of the kitchen to place a platter of deviled eggs on the table. “Dee did a wonderful job with Christmas dinner. It was delightful. Almost better than my nephew when it was Ryo's turn to make Christmas dinner.”
 
“Elena, you don't have to do that to make me feel better,” Ryo remarked, with a fond smile.
 
“Well in that case,” Elena laughed, stopping before Ryo to pat him on his cheek. “Dee did better than you.”
 
Ryo laughed. “I know. I thought the same thing. He should have kept on pretending he didn't know how to cook.”
 
JJ and Drake traded surprised looks with each other. JJ looked over to Ryo, his eyes changing. Sounding a little sad, he said, “Wow, you had Christmas dinner together with Dee?”
 
“Yeah, being we both live here and all,” Ryo replied. “And Dee cooked. I was merely his assistant for the day.” He heaved a heavy, put upon sigh before chuckling. “I never realized Dee can be a pain in the ass in the kitchen.”
 
“Of course we did,” Elena remarked taking JJ's attention from Ryo. The smaller detective had been frowning at Ryo. “He's cute, he's funny and he knows how to cook. Who wouldn't hang out with him on Christmas Day.”
 
“Now don't you start, you wicked woman,” Ryo warned, going behind her. He placed his arms around his aunt's neck.
 
She looked up at him and stuck her tongue out a him.
 
“Help should be seen and not heard,” Ryo said, pretending to choke her. He winked at his aunt, leaning down to kiss her forehead.
 
“See how he treats the help?” Elena sighed, trying not to laugh.
 
Drake looked over at JJ. “So what? I bet it wasn't as funny as our dinner with your family.” He slung a friendly arm around JJ's shoulders. To Ryo and Elena, he said, “JJ's family is completely nuts.”
 
“I heard about that, “ Ryo said with a nod. “My sympathies, Drake.” He let out a laugh.
 
Drake and JJ chuckled along with Ryo, Elena joining. She slipped from Ryo's loose hold and went back into the kitchen.
 
 
 
 
Ted with Janet, along with Jim who was with two girls Dee never saw before, were all smiling at their host. The three Dee knew from the precinct all greeted him at the same time.
 
Dee laughed as he stepped aside, opening the door more. “Come in, guys,” he greeted cheerfully.
 
Janet came up to Dee, leaning up to kiss his cheek. “Hello there,” she said with a giggle.
 
“Ah, and hello to you too, pretty lady.” Janet was dressed in a dark blue cocktail dress with a plunging neckline.
 
Ted slapped Dee on the back as he walked into the apartment. Jim, who moved away from the two women he was with, greeted Dee in the same fashion.
 
Still next to Dee, Janet giggled again and said, “My, are we looking sexy tonight, Detective.”
 
Ted paused in his steps to look back. “Hey!”
 
“Better watch it there, Ted,” Dee laughed, as Ted came over to guide Janet away from Dee.
 
Dee's eyes went to Jim, who was helping the two ladies he was with out of their coats.
 
Dee came over Jim and the women as Ted hung his and Janet's coats up. “It's nice to meet you ladies,” he said, taking their coats, “I'll be right back.” He started to walk over to the coat rack.
 
Upon hearing the unfamiliar voices coming from the entryway, Ryo looked at Drake and JJ. “Excuse me while I greet our other guests. Enjoy.”
 
“We will,” Drake remarked, piling his plate.
 
Sipping his wine, Ryo went into the living room and looked at the entrance area. He held his plate with food in his other hand. He opened his mouth to call out to the newcomers, then noticed the two girls with Jim. He almost dropped his food from his plate, balancing it just in time. He took another sip of his wine, still able to hear JJ and Drake banter as they sampled the selection and filled their plates. Setting the plate down on one of the snack tables, he walked over to join Dee who was talking to the women.
 
Dee looked over to Ryo after hanging their coats, and watched as Ryo's eyes traveled carefully to Jim talking to the two girls. Ryo was trying very hard not to gawk. He looked at Dee in question. Dee shrugged in reply, then started back over to the trio.
 
“Hi, I'm Pat,” one of the women greeted Dee. She smiled up at him. Her smile made it clear she liked what she was seeing.
 
“And I'm Emily,” the second girl greeted offering her hand to Dee.
 
Emily joined Pat in her appreciative study of Dee.
 
Ryo stood next to Dee, holding out his hand. “Hi Pat. You're with Jim?”
 
Dee glanced at Ryo from the side of his eyes, careful not to snap his head to stare at his partner in surprise. He knew Ryo was of the jealous nature, but unless it was JJ, Ryo usually kept it to himself and would politely get Dee away. Dee knew Ryo was not really being impolite to their guests, just a little… blunt.
 
Blunt only worked for Ryo with Dee. With everyone else, it was bad news. Which was why Ryo kept himself from being so around the precinct, unless someone really deserved it. It was rare, but had happened a few times.
 
“Hey Ryo!” Jim greeted, waving at Ryo.
 
“Hey Jimbo. Glad you were able to dig yourself out from under our evidence,” Ryo greeted with a laugh.
 
Ryo was suddenly being slapped in the back by Ted, which he returned. “How's it going, Ted?” He looked at the woman who came to stand next to Ted. “Hey, hi Janet. I'm glad you could make it.”
 
Janet leaned up to kiss Ryo's cheek. “Hi sweetie!”
 
“Don't you just look lovely tonight, Janet,” Ryo complimented.
 
She swatted him playfully. “Stop, Ryo. You're making me blush.”
 
Dee snorted. Ryo turned his head toward Dee and leaned over to mumble, “Now you don't want me to make you say that.”
 
Dee snorted again.
 
Looking at the three Ryo knew from work, he asked, “So this is a bust, huh? I swear we don't have anything illegal going on. Yet.”
 
Ted and Jim laughed.
 
Dee gestured to the other side of the apartment. “We've got a bunch of teenagers in there and who knows what will happen,” he said with a laugh. He felt a gentle poke in his side and turned to find Elena holding out a plate that was filled with approved food that was able to enjoy. He smiled as he took the plate. “You're an angel,” he stated, and kissed her cheek.
 
Ryo gestured to his aunt. “Yeah, hoodlum teens and once she gets some drinks in her….”
 
“I swear, Ryo. One of these days, I'm going to carry out your threats,” Elena laughed as she went back to the kitchen.
 
Janet hooked an arm through Ryo's. “If you would have had to go through half an hour of Ted's whining in my ear, you'd make it possible to be here too.” She smiled at Ted.
 
Patricia and Emily flocked around Ryo. “And you must be Ryo?” Emily asked.
 
Jim came up from behind the two women, hugging them both. “That he is, my dears.”
 
Emily smiled sweetly, giving Ryo the same appraisal that she gave Dee. “I'm Emily,” she said.
 
“Pleased to meet you, Emily.” He took her offered hand, looking over to Jim in question.
 
Jim winked at Ryo, then grinned.
 
Ryo was trying very hard not to look shocked. “Come in everyone,” Ryo offered, taking his attention away from the threesome. “JJ and Drake are here already. There's plenty of food and drink.”
 
Ted lead Janet, while Jim stood between each lady, escorting them into the living room. Dee stood to the side a little, his eyes on Jim, shaking his head in amazement.
 
Ryo went over to Dee, looking at what was on his plate. Of course there would be nothing Dee should not be eating if his aunt gave it to him. He was just curious to see what was on the plate. They had made some modified things taking out any ingredients Dee should not be eating and replacing them with those he could. “Deviled eggs?” Ryo asked, not sure if all the mayonnaise would be good for Dee.
 
Dee laughed. “Relax. It's made with eggless mayo. Your aunt and uncle picked it up when they went shopping at Whole Foods Market before coming here. They picked up sparkling grape juice and apple cider for me and the kids. And eggless eggs, whatever that is. But Elena certified it safe. And Rick used it in my batch of eggnog.” He smiled at Ryo. “They're both wonderful. They didn't have to go out of their way to make sure I could have some version of something I wouldn't have been able to have, because we didn't think of alternatives.”
 
Ryo laughed. “I didn't think of it. But we might want to sit down with Elena at some point soon.”
 
“No kidding. So Jim and two girls, huh?” Dee asked amused.
 
“Tell me about it,” Ryo laughed. “Who would have thought. Not that I'm jealous of him or anything. I'm just amazed.”
 
“Same here.”
 
Ryo glanced up to see their guests mingling, while the newcomers filled their plates as Rick got their drinks. They were alone for the moment, away from prying ears. In a low tone, he asked, “How are you doing, baby? I know we got some sleep, but….”
 
“I'm fine Ryo. Calm down,” Dee assured him with a smile, picking up a deviled egg and popping it in his mouth. “Oh! These are good.”
 
“Yeah?” Ryo grabbed one off Dee's plate and put it in his mouth. He nodded. After swallowing, he stated, “I'm going to put on some music, then grab my plate before it disappears.”
 
Dee laughed. “I'll be with our guests.” He discreetly ran a hand down Ryo's back.
 
Ryo smiled before walking over to the stereo system and set their 300 CD changer for random. Between Dee and Ryo, there was something of everything among the CDs. Random would be good enough for a while.
 
 
 
 
Drake and JJ had double takes before sharing a glance when they noticed Jim and the two girls. Ted came over to them before they had a chance to comment.
 
“Hey Teddyboy!” Drake greeted.
 
“Hi Tedster!” JJ waved, somehow balancing his wine glass and plate of food in the same hand.
 
“Hey guys!” Ted said. “Wow! That's some fancy spread they've got there, huh?” he commented upon seeing the buffet.
 
“Goes with the big fancy apartment,” Drake laughed. “Imagine our Dee is a part of that.”
 
Ted jokingly sniffed. “Aw… our little Dee is growing up.” He snickered. “But yeah, this place. Holy crap!”
 
Janet came over and first kissed Drake, then JJ on the cheek. “Hi you two,” she said with a smile.
 
“Hey Janet. You look nice,” Drake remarked.
 
“Hi hon!” JJ enthusiastically greeted. “Wow, you look lovely!”
 
Janet batted her eyes at JJ. “And you look very dashing, JJ. Is that Armani?”
 
“Yes,” JJ replied proudly. “Nice, huh? Feel the material. There's no better.” They started to walk together to the couch, where Janet sat down next to JJ, leaving Drake and Ted at the entrance to the dining area.
 
Janet ran a finger over the sleeve of JJ's jacket. “Yes indeed. Very nice.”
 
Ted and Drake exchanged glances as they watched the two on the couch fall into a discussion on fashion.
 
“Ah well,” Drake shrugged. “That's what we have JJ for. To save us from the doom of fashion talk. Beer?”
 
Ted nodded. “Beer.”
 
Both men turned as Drake lead Ted over to where the beer was kept cold in an ice filled metal tub.
 
 
 
 
Ryo was standing where he recovered his plate, watching his co-workers' exchange, and laughing. He ate an appetizer, washing it down by finishing his wine. He walked over to Jim and his dates who were sitting on the window seat, talking to Dee. “Please help yourself to anything you want. To be honest, I'm hoping it'll all be gone by the end of the night. There's no room to fit everything in the fridge,” he laughed.
 
Ted had returned to the living room, beer in hand to notice Janet look over to him. “Oh, um, beer?” he asked, holding out his bottle, despite his already starting to drink from it.
 
“Wine would be nice,” Janet replied sweetly. “White. Thank you Teddy.” She gave him a smile.
 
Ted smiled back at her, and winked. “Coming in a second, doll.”
 
Drake leaned over to Ted as Ted passed him again. “Whipped,” he commented.
 
On the couch, JJ smiled knowingly at Ted's back, then said to Janet, “Whipped.”
 
“He knows what's good for him,” Janet winked.
 
Dee stood up to stand next to Ryo. “So, uh…. All three of you…?” he asked Jim and his two guests. He made a vague gesture that was to mean `together'.
 
Elena came out of the kitchen, checking the buffet for any significant dents on the platters, and started to rearrange them.
 
Jim grinned knowingly at Dee, his eyes briefly settling on Dee's abdomen.
 
Elena came over to the group by the window. “Ryo, Dee. How rude!” she admonished the two younger men. “Your guests here don't have any food.”
 
“That's fine ma'am,” Jim assured her. “We're just resting up a bit before attacking that mountain of food over there.”
 
Dee laughed as Ryo hugged his aunt. “We're fine,” Ryo assured his aunt with a chuckle. “Now stop hiding in the kitchen and come out to join the party. Rick too. Jim, this is my Aunt Elena. Elena, this is Jim. He heads Forensics over at the precinct. And his two lovely guests, Emily and Pat.”
 
Emily and Pat shook hands with Elena. Jim smiled charmingly up at her. “So this is the most wonderful Aunt Elena. I've heard so many sweet things about you over the years from both Ryo and Dee.”
 
Elena sighed dramatically. “That's so good to hear. I believe it about sweetness here….” She hugged Dee. “But this one,” she pointed to Ryo, “just likes to start trouble. Such a wild child he was.”
 
“I was not!” Ryo retorted indignantly. “I just never listened to you at times.” He winked playfully at her.
 
Elena laughed and went to hug Ryo without releasing Dee. “I love you,” she said to Ryo. “I love my darling nephews.” She winked at Jim, since the two men earlier had told her about their encounter with Jim during the week. “Well, let me set you up with some starting food. Be back soon.”
 
Breezily she whisked off toward the buffet.
 
“She's great, Ryo,” Jim said. Both women with him nodded their heads, smiling.
 
Dee smiled warmly. “Yeah, that she is,” he replied before Ryo had a chance. He grinned back to the three on the window seat. “So Jim… two? One not good enough?”
 
Ryo broke out in laughter as Dee's single-minded determination for answers, as Emily and Patricia giggled.
 
Dee winked at both girls, flashing his charming smile.
 
Jim placed an arm around each girl's waist, with a devilish smile.
 
Ryo slapped Jim's shoulder. “Go Jim!” he laughed.
 
“Well, you know. A man can never have enough,” Jim stated with a smirk.
 
Emily laughed, smacking Jim lightly. “Jim is my cousin,” she blurted out.
 
Jim looked affronted, pulling his arm away from her. “Aw Emily!” He frowned at her. “You spoiled all my fun.”
 
Dee started to laugh, Ryo joining. Emily giggled as Patricia shook her head in fond amusement.
 
Dee looked at Emily. “Then you agree with me when I figured that even Jim couldn't get two pretty girls.”
 
Jim sighed. “I do know of ways that I can still get back at you, Dee,” he said in warning. With a sigh, he stood up. “Oh well. Ladies, what if we go meet up with Ryo's darling aunt so she doesn't have to cater to us.”
 
“Sure,” Patricia said as Emily nodded her head. The women stood up. As they started to head over to the dining area, Bikky came dashing through the dining room from the other side of the apartment, twisting around the guests.
 
“We'll meet up with you, Jim,” Ryo stated, stopping as he watched Bikky's approach.
 
“Okay you two. Family first,” Jim waved, once again placing an arm around each woman's waist and guiding them toward the buffet.
 
Bikky skidded to a stop before Dee and Ryo. “What's up, bud?” Ryo asked, looking down at their son.
 
Dee reached down to ruffle Bikky's hair, with a grin, attempting to annoy him.
 
Bikky allowed it as he smiled up at Dee.
 
Dee raised his eyebrows. “This means he's up to something,” he said to Ryo, amused.
 
“Well kiddo? What's up?” Ryo asked as he smiled at Bikky.
 
“Carol and I need to go and pick up Lai and Lass from the subway station. Just want to let you know.”
 
Ryo glanced up to see Carol walking across the room, saying hello to those she knew as she made her way over to them.
 
“Oh! Err, I forgot you invited them,” Ryo remarked. “Is Rick with Dani and Stefen?”
 
“Stefen and Dani are busy playing with some toys they brought. The other guys already here are playing Playstation. I told them to keep an eye on the rugrats.”
 
Ryo looked a little sheepish. “I completely forgot there's going to be more of your friends.”
 
Dee laughed. “Yeah, quite a few of them from the team. Seems us allowing Bikky to have a party turned out to be quite convenient to some parents to save some money on babysitters and such. There's about 4 of them who arrived while you were getting dressed.”
 
“That's fine. As long as you're all behaving and no trouble,” Ryo stated. He frowned a bit. “But Dani isn't really good around strangers, and if she discovers there's only strangers….”
 
“I'll go peek in on them for a bit,” Dee offered. “You stay out here with our guests.” To Bikky, Dee said, “That's fine, Biks. You and Carol go get your friends.”
 
As Dee was talking, Bikky reached up and grabbed a deviled egg from Dee's plate and put it in his mouth. With his mouth full, he said, “Thomas and Pete from the orphanage are coming too. But they'll find their own….”
 
“Bikky!” Ryo exclaimed. “Don't talk with your mouth full.” He looked over, studying Dee. “Go ahead, Dee. Maybe take the time to sit down for a while?” He looked concerned.
 
Bikky listened to Ryo, watching Ryo's face. He started to frown. “Something wrong?” he asked both men.
 
“No, Bikky,” Dee replied. “Ryo's just being Ryo.” He ruffled Bikky's hair affectionately, then looked at Ryo. “Yes `Dad'.” He grinned and started to lean toward Ryo, barely stopping himself from giving Ryo a kiss.
 
Bikky was grinning up at Dee as Carol giggled.
 
“No. Nothing wrong,” Ryo said, smiling down at Bikky. “We just didn't think that you had to leave for a bit. That's all. But it's all under control. Go get your friends.”
 
“Cool! Gotta run,” Bikky said. “We'll be back soon!” He dashed off toward the door, with Carol close behind him and the two were out the apartment.
 
“Here's hoping there weren't any unsuspecting guests in the entry hallway,” Dee chuckled.”
 
Ryo shook his head affectionately. “That kid.” He turned and gently touched Dee on his arm. “Dee, when you're back there, make sure there's enough of what the kids are having for food. Then have Elena bring whatever is needed in.”
 
“Okay. I can do that,” Dee winked. He squeezed Ryo's hand briefly, then headed through the guests, politely talking, but still moving to get to the other side of the dining room to check on Dani and Stefen.
 
Ryo walked over to the others, filling up his wine glass, joining in on the banter.
 
 
 
Standing off to the side of the living room was JJ. He had been watching the exchange between Dee, Ryo and Bikky. He remembered the encounter in Times Square the night before and how annoyed Dee had been when JJ had made the comment about Bikky. JJ had pushed the image of Dee acting like a father with the boy from his head. Just as he had done every time he encountered Dee and Bikky, especially after the adoption was finalized. After watching the latest exchange it was back again. Bikky was every bit Dee's kid as he was Ryo's. Not just on paper, but how Dee felt about the mulatto boy. It was not only in the way Dee acted with the boy; it was in the way Bikky looked up to Dee.
 
Ryo and Dee were Bikky's parents. Somehow, the two partners turned best friends, had become a family with the boy. Some weird oddball family. It could not be more, JJ thought, because if it was, Dee at least would have said something. Dee had just settled for whatever he could get from Ryo. For how long will that be enough? JJ hopefully settled on the thought. He knew Dee still thought he loved Ryo. He also knew Ryo was a coward to admit how he felt about Dee. It was obvious he cared a lot about Dee. Ryo did love Dee, probably could be in love with Dee, but he was too blind and too deeply buried in the closet to admit that. Until the day when Ryo was finally able to admit more, bringing him closer to Dee, JJ still had hope.
 
JJ desperately tried to hold onto that hope that night. Why was it so hard lately? Why was it that in the last few weeks, whenever he thought he could rely on Dee for something, he found himself shut out, and leaning on Drake. Once again, JJ was reminded how at the moment, Drake seemed like the only one who really understood him. Drake would be the one who was always there for him, and JJ knew he could rely on more than anyone else. How could Dee shut him out, while JJ had to deal with Ryo day after day? JJ saw but could not bring himself to admit it anymore than Ryo probably could not. Ryo was jealous.
 
How long would it be before Ryo decided he wanted Dee? Could Ryo actually one day finally give what Dee had been so fatefully waiting for?
 
A hand landed on his shoulder, bringing him out of his thoughts and making him jump. “Hey Jemmy. Why are you looking so alone over here?”
 
JJ shrugged.
 
“C'mon buddy. I think it's time for round two at the buffet.” He laughed. “Besides, Elena has some fun dirt on Ryo.”
 
“Really?” JJ sighed. He looked up at Drake. “Yeah. Food sounds good. Dirt on Ryo, good too. Let's go.”
 
Drake placed his hand on JJ's back, pushing him forward to join Jim and the two girls at the buffet, talking to Elena.