Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Chaos 'Til Midnight ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 23
Chaos `Til Midnight
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Big special thanks to DeeRyoFan and Gracie Musica for all their help with the party!!! I couldn't have pulled this off without them. *hugs*
 
 
### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
 
JJ took a deep breath and walked through the dining area, once again straightening out the sleeves of his jacket. He walked past the table with all the delicious foods, a variety from plain and simple to high class. Dee and Ryo had gone all out for this party, and JJ suddenly understood why. It was a big occasion for them, announcing they were a couple. Two and a half years a couple, JJ noted, from what was said in the kitchen. Two and a half years later they decided to make a big deal over old news, slapping their friends in the face, if they handled it as in the kitchen.
 
No wonder why they provided so much food and alcohol.
 
He passed a couple of guests, not noting faces, smiling politely but not quite seeing anything but the path ahead of him, leading him to the front door. He had to get away from there, away from all his friends and co-workers before he burst out in tears.
 
The way Ryo had acted tore JJ apart. JJ had hoped that somehow there was some respect between him and Ryo. He should have not been surprised. Ryo was right about one thing, they did get off on the wrong foot and have been more or less rivals since day one, whether it be over Dee or at the firing range. But Dee… he honestly did believe Dee would have handled it better. After everything they had gone through together back at the Academy. He never took Dee's shoving him off or attempts to avoid him seriously since arriving at the 27th, because at one time they were best buds, sharing experiences of joy and pain over beers. JJ may have resigned himself knowing that he never stood a chance with Dee, especially with Ryo around, but he still had his hope. Somehow he still managed to create an illusion that all was still as it had once been with Dee.
 
What hurt most of all is not just finding out Dee did not trust him, but oddly enough, both Dee and Ryo together broke his heart. Not because he felt he lost a lover, especially when there never was a chance and he knew it. But because he had lost two people, who other than Drake, he had thought were close friends. People he could depend on. He thought they were. Somehow they both would always seem to show up to lend their support when he needed it the most. Like the time Max died. Even if it was by the two partners' guns. They did what they had to do, but they still were around to show their support for JJ.
 
He walked into the living room, going past the other guests, his eyes starting to burn and a crushing feeling in his chest. It was a hurt so badly he felt it as a physical pain. He knew Dee was able to deliver sharp words, but despite all the outbursts from Ryo and his sarcastic wit, JJ did not expect that. Somehow Ryo would always find a way to pull a punch. Unless he really did want to hurt someone. Dee pulled punches for friends. So JJ's conclusion was, Ryo wanted to hurt him and Dee did not see him as even a friend. It was a double rejection that was almost too much for JJ to handle. He just had to get out of this place that suddenly was too loud for him, too bright and too crowded. He needed to flee the apartment and run as far as he could, before finally finding some doorway or something to hide behind and let out his pain. He doubted he would be able to make it to his house before needed to release it.
 
JJ went to the coat rack where he grabbed his coat. He walked toward the door putting on his coat and scarf. Just a few more feet and he'll be away from here.
 
Drake had watched as JJ walked past him, as if not noticing him, seeing the planted smile on JJ's face as false. In concern, he excused himself from Emily and got up to follow his partner as JJ made his way toward the door putting on his coat and scarf. He caught up with JJ as the other man opened the door and started walked into the entrance hallway.
 
He came up behind JJ. “Jemmy?” he asked.
 
JJ faltered in his stride, but did not turn around as he fumbled with his scarf. “Hey… um.. Drakey.” JJ tried to sound pleasant, but it failed to his own ears.
 
Drake frowned, going up to JJ's side. “What are you doing?” he asked.
 
JJ sighed and turned to face Drake. “I'm not feeling so well. Maybe something I ate doesn't sit so well with me.”
 
Drake had been studying JJ. “You look a little pale. But you can't leave now, man! It's only a few hours `til midnight.”
 
“Drake…” JJ sighed.
 
“Come on, buddy,” Drake encourage, smiling at JJ. He gently grasped JJ by his arm and started to lead him back toward the door. “We'll ask Ryo if he has some tea or something for you. Knowing him, he has. Then you'll be fine in a minute,” Drake rambled on.
 
The mention of Ryo made JJ's vision swim and he started to taste the bile in his throat. He was upset enough to now be ill. He tried to pull away from Drake. “I can't, Drake,” he protested. “I feel like throwing up.”
 
Drake did not release his grip and they were at the door again, with the apartment JJ wanted to get away from, the apartment that no longer said `Dee'. It screamed `Dee and Ryo' with the renovating and redecorating. And inside that apartment were two people JJ felt at that moment that he never wanted to see again.
 
“Maybe that would help?” Drake continued speaking, pulling him through the threshold. JJ covered his mouth with his free hand, fought to keep from throwing up. If not for the fact that it would be so embarrassing, he had no problem tossing his cookies onto the oriental rug by the door, covering the fine polished hard wood floor. “By all means, do it then! The bathroom is still right over there.” Drake pointed across the room.” Drake tightened his hold on JJ's arm. “Come on. Let's get rid of whatever's bugging you.”
 
JJ started to protest, then sighed, realizing he would not win when Drake got stubborn. It only got worse when he noticed Ryo making his way toward them.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
 
Ryo left the kitchen, glancing back over his shoulder, hoping Dee would be okay soon. He looked around at his guests, and started to walk toward the living room, trying not to look rushed, frantic or upset. He looked at all their guests, not seeing JJ or Drake. As he reached the living room and started for the front door, Rose came up to him.
 
“Ryo!” the Commissioner greeted, obviously already having a good time. “Wonderful party. And with so much class. I know that had to be mostly your doing. So where's our other fine host?”
 
Ryo forced a smile on his face. “Dee's in the kitchen, fussing over something or another. He put as much into this as I had.” His smile turned genuine even as he knew he had to get away from the Commissioner. He had to stop JJ from leaving the building, because Dee had a look that told Ryo he would not rest until he knew JJ was okay. Ryo patted the Commissioner's arm. “He'll be out in a moment. Commissioner, please making yourself at home. I gotta take care of something.”
 
He left Rose and started for the front door where he saw Drake pulling JJ back into the apartment. Ryo let out a sigh of relief as he walked over to the two partners, trying to look casual. JJ looked preoccupied with keeping himself from getting sick, so Ryo put his attention on Drake.
 
“Hey Drake,” he greeted casually. “How's it going here?”
 
Drake looked up at Ryo in relief, placing an arm around JJ to steady him. “Can you make some tea for JJ? He's not feeling well,” Drake asked.
 
Not quite under his breath, JJ let out a hiss. “Drake Parker,” he said in a warning tone.
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. Sure. One cup of tea for JJ coming up. Perhaps if JJ thinks he can make it, the bathroom in the back is much roomier. It's the second door on the right down the hallway. On the other side. Just past the dining room.”
 
JJ started to pull away from Drake, refusing to look at Ryo. “Drake, let go! I wanna go home.”
 
Drake's hold on JJ got tighter as he started to pull JJ toward the direction Ryo indicated. “Not happening, dude!” he insisted.
 
Ryo took a few steps until he stood before JJ, plainly in the smaller man's view. “I'll get your tea. I know you prefer Earl Grey, but we don't have any in the house. If you're not feeling well, perhaps chamomile would be best. Other than that, we have peppermint.”
 
“I guess chamomile is good,” Drake replied for JJ, now wondering what was going on. JJ was refusing to look at Ryo.
 
“JJ,” Ryo started, looking apologetic. “Look… Sorry….” He shook his head and sighed. “I'll get your tea and bring it to the guest bathroom.”
 
Drake nodded, “Sure. C'mon along buddy. If you're not up to walking, I might have to carry you.”
 
Ryo went back toward the kitchen, nodding to everyone as he passed. He made a quick stop at the bar and poured himself a glass of wine, downing it in one gulp. He refilled the glass again, and went into the kitchen to check on Dee and get the water going for some tea.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
 
Drake watched as Ryo walked away, his shoulders sagging a little. He gazed back to JJ who seemed to relax a little after Ryo left. “What was that all about?” he asked.
 
JJ looked up at Drake with tears making bright blue eyes glisten. “Drake, please. I really think it's better if I'd go home.”
 
Drake studied JJ and his hold turned protective. “Humbug! If anything, you need some fresh air. Come on, bathroom first, then we'll step out for a minute. I need new cigs anyway.”
 
“Drake,” JJ tried to warn again. He saw the concern on his partner's face, and was reminded once again, when all else fails, there was always Drake there for him. Just as Drake was at the moment. Knowing something was wrong with JJ, there was no way he was going to let JJ go off on his own until he was okay. JJ sighed, feeling the fight go out of him.
 
“Jemmy,” Drake said, meeting JJ's eyes.
 
JJ sighed again in defeat. “Okay, you win.” He allowed Drake to guide him to the bathroom, both men ignoring the inquiring looks as they made their way toward the hallway.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
 
Dee made his way door the hallway, carrying a cup of chamomile tea for JJ. Ryo had entered the kitchen and after assuring Dee that JJ was still in the apartment, and with Drake, put water on for tea. Ryo pulled Dee into his arms and held him for a few minutes before standing before the stove, sipping his wine. When the tea was ready, Dee offered to bring it to JJ, telling Ryo to go back out and mingle with their guests. He assured Ryo he was feeling fine and would be joining him shortly. Ryo merely nodded, handing Dee the tea cup. Ryo walked to the door with his arm around Dee, before pulling away to open the door for him.
 
The bathroom door was closed, but could hear voices inside. He knocked on the door, careful not to spill any tea from the teacup.
 
He heard Drake's voice answer. “Uh, we're kinda busy in here.”
 
Dee cocked his head closer to the door and heard JJ dry heaving. He bit his lip, before taking a deep breath. “Hey Drake,” he called out toward the door. “It's me. Ryo said JJ needed some tea.”
 
“Oh!” he heard Drake exclaim. Within seconds the door was unlocked and opened. “Come in,” Drake invited.
 
Dee looked past Drake to where JJ was kneeling before the toilet. He bit his lip again, feeling extremely guilty for causing JJ to feel the way he was. He followed Drake into the bathroom, still balancing the teacup, to walk past Drake and go up to JJ. He leaned down to rub JJ's back.
 
JJ stood up and sat on the edge of the tub, avoiding eye contact with Dee.
 
Drake stood close to Dee, looking at JJ. “Man, I hope I didn't eat the same!” He pinched Dee's side. “And if it was any of your cooking, Laytner, I'll never let you live it down.”
 
Dee held out the cup, offering the tea to JJ, not saying anything. He was not sure what to say, since it was obvious Drake did not know what really was going on.
 
Drake took the teacup from Dee when JJ did not look up or make any move to take the tea. He went past Dee and sat on the edge of the tub next to JJ. “Tea time, Mister Adams,” he said lightly.
 
When JJ still did not respond, Dee could stand no more. “JJ, I… we didn't mean it that way.”
 
JJ shrugged.
 
Drake's head snapped up to look at Dee. “Huh?”
 
Dee leaned over to ruffle JJ's light silky hair. “We're still friends, right?” he asked.
 
Realization dawned in Drake's eyes as his mouth dropped open. He glanced to JJ, then back to Dee. “Don't tell me. Ryo had a personal insult-JJ-feast moment again,” he stated.
 
JJ nodded hesitantly, while Dee let out a heavy sigh.
 
After a few more moments silence, Dee forced himself to smile. “Okay. I'll give you some time to yourself. But stay for the party. Please?”
 
JJ sipped the tea, still not looking at Dee.
 
Drake frowned. “What is going on here? How exactly did Ryo insult JJ this time?” He placed his arm around JJ's back again, and looking at JJ asked, “You didn't jump Dee again, did ya?”
 
JJ lifted his head enough to glare at Drake.
 
Dee studied the two men, letting out a heavy sigh. It was obvious JJ was keeping their secret. If he had told Drake, Dee would have understood. Drake was his partner, after all, and concerned for JJ. And JJ was not happy with Dee or Ryo. Running his hand nervously through his hair, he came to a quick decision and decided to spare JJ a little by just coming clean and telling Drake the truth.
 
He put the toilet seat down and sat, facing the two men sitting on the tub. “Drake,” he said quietly. “Ryo and I are living together.”
 
Drake nodded. “I know. We all knew.” He looked more confused, wondering what that had to do with anything going on at the moment.
 
Dee shook his head. “As lovers,” he added.
 
Drake looked at Dee. “I…. What?” His jaw dropped. He looked at JJ. “Oh….” Suddenly everything made sense to Drake.
 
Dee looked at JJ. “I…. We should have told everyone earlier, but….” He shrugged. “We didn't.”
 
Drake shook his head. “Man.”
 
“It was mostly because we were afraid if the higher ups would find out, but….” His words drifted off as he chuckled, knowing the threat of them breaking him and Ryo up as work partners no longer existed.
 
“Oh man,” was all Drake uttered. The arm on JJ's back went around the smaller man's shoulders, pulling him close as if to protect him.
 
JJ lifted his head again and gave Drake a small smile of thanks.
 
“But….” Drake seemed flabbergasted with Dee's announcement.
 
Dee worried his lower lip, watching the two before him, debating on whether he should tell them the rest.
 
Someone was standing in the doorway of the open bathroom door. The three men looked up in panic. Dee was flooded with relief when he saw it was Ryo. Drake looked back at JJ.
 
“Dee?” Ryo asked. “Is JJ okay?”
 
JJ glared daggers at the man in the doorway.
 
Ryo sighed upon seeing JJ's look. “Guess not. I'll leave you guys alone.”
 
“Yeah, he's fine,” Dee remarked. “Ryo....”
 
Ryo met his look, the pain of realizing what he had done in his eyes. That was the way Ryo was. If he hurt someone that most probably did not deserve to be hurt, no matter how hard Ryo previously struck, he would feel guilty about it after he had time to cool down and think about the situation. “It's okay, Dee. I'll see you whenever you're done in here.” He gave Dee an encouraging smile and walked away from the bathroom, closing the door before leaving.
 
Drake looked over to Dee again. “Oh man. You mean you and Ryo are...?' Dee nodded. “And… everything…?” Once again Dee nodded. “So it's been less than five years since you last…?”
 
Dee nodded with an amused smiled. “Definitely less than five years,” Dee remarked, raising an eyebrow.
 
He squeezed JJ's shoulder. “Bud,” he said softly, “You're gonna find someone new.”
 
Dee cleared his throat. “There's more,” he said into the sudden silence. Drake and JJ were looking at him, waiting for him to continue. “We, uh, me an' Ryo were gonna tell everyone tonight that….”
 
“That what?” JJ asked barely above a whisper.
 
“Well, we're gonna get married,” Dee admitted, avoiding JJ's eyes. “And have a baby.”
 
The teacup slipped from JJ's hand and shattered into pieces on the bathroom floor. Drake's jaw dropped lower than before.
 
Dee bent over to start picking up the bigger shards of the shattered cup.
 
“Fuck!” Drake exclaimed. “You what?” He exchanged a shocked look with JJ.
 
Paying more attention to what he was doing, Dee replied, “Yeah. He, uh, Ryo proposed to me on Christmas Eve.”
 
“Holy fuck!” was Drake's response.
 
JJ sighed and in a small voice said, “Congratulations, Dee.”
 
Drake gave his partner's shoulder a reassuring squeeze. He knew JJ was taking it bad. Dee was getting married to Ryo, settling down further in domestic family bliss. Leaving JJ to deal with the ultimate rejection from Dee. He felt JJ lean into his hold, as if trying to draw comfort or strength. At least in the past, Drake had been able to raise JJ's spirits whenever he was down over not having Dee. Drake hoped he would help JJ through this.
 
He felt for JJ, but he also knew Dee's own feelings for Ryo. He looked up at Dee, saw the love and excitement in his friend's eyes. There was something else about Dee, but Drake could not figure out what. He found himself getting excited for Dee over the news. One thing he knew - Dee loved Ryo. It was not a crush or infatuation, or lust driven. He had watched as Dee went from a man driven by his genitals to being interested only in Ryo. Dee had been celibate for years, though Drake did not know how long. Obviously Dee and Ryo had been together for some time before deciding to get married.
 
His excitement for Dee came out in his response. “Holy fuck! Damn, man. Wow…. That's… wow!” He smiled at Dee.
 
Dee gave him a small smile back, before his attention was on JJ. “JJ...,” he started uncomfortably. “I don't think that….” Dee sighed heavily and ruffled JJ's hair. “You'll find someone a lot better than me. Trust me.”
 
JJ stared ahead. “Maybe,” he replied absently.
 
Dee rubbed his face. He did not want the situation to be ugly and he found himself feeling bad for JJ. Yet he never had pretended to be able to give JJ what the other man wanted.
 
Drake shook his head again. “Man! And what was that bit about a baby? You gonna adopt another kid?”
 
JJ suddenly visibly perked up. Wide, bright excited blue eyes gazed up at Dee in wonder. “Oh God!” he exclaimed.
 
Drake squeezed JJ's shoulder. “Shh…”
 
Dee's eyes went to Drake and JJ, and felt a jolt go through him. Mentally he shoved the thought away, because it would be worse for JJ than chasing after Dee. At least Dee had always been interested in men.
 
JJ shrugged Drake off. “You?” he asked excitedly. “Dee?”
 
Dee could not help smile as he nodded his head. “Yeah. Me.”
 
Suddenly JJ was a ball of hyped up energy as he launched himself from the tub toward Dee. “Oh my God, Dee!” he exclaimed excited.
 
Dee took an instinctive step back, his left hand protectively over the small bump of his abdomen. “Whoa JJ!” he remarked. “Calm down.”
 
Drake stared up at Dee and JJ in confusion, having no clue what the two were talking about.
 
JJ shot Drake an annoyed glare. His attention back on Dee, he spelled it out, hoping Drake would catch on. “Oh my God! That's the mysterious disease! No smoking, no coffee, no alcohol and all that! OH GOD!”
 
Dee chuckled as he placed his hands on JJ's shoulders to keep him from bouncing. “That's why you're a detective. Although you still amaze me, Parker.” Assured that JJ was not going to spring from his spot, Dee removed his hands from JJ's shoulders to lift his shirt up enough to show both men the slight swell indicating there was a tiny life growing within him. His abs were no longer rippled, smoothing out taunt over the bump. Dee's smile seemed to further light up the already well lit bathroom. He seemed to radiate warmth.
 
“Huuuh?” Drake asked, completely at a loss except thinking that Dee looked like he had gained a couple of pounds and needed to start working out again, since he also lost his muscle definition on his abs.
 
JJ turned to smack Drake over the head with his hand. “Duh! Dee is pregnant,” he announced to Drake. Drake gazed up at JJ speechless. His gaze shifted to Dee, who nodded in affirmation. Drake's eyes went back to the small swell Dee was displaying. His jaw dropped as realization sank in.
 
Dee's hand went to cover the bump protectively again. It was an automatic reaction to him whenever he felt the slightest bit uncertain or threatened.
 
JJ started to bounce in excitement again. “Oh holy!” He reached out to touch, but stopped suddenly and pulled his hand back as if burned.
 
Dee grinned at JJ. “Nah, it's okay. Go ahead.”
 
“Really?” JJ asked, his eyes meeting Dee's.
 
Dee nodded. “You can't feel it kicking yet, but sure.” He moved his hand so JJ could touch him.
 
Cautiously, JJ reached out to brush his hand over the smooth swell on Dee. “Wow,” he whispered. He bit his lower lip.
 
Dee looked at JJ, who was currently caught between joy over Dee's news and complete realization that he had completely lost any chance he believed he had with Dee. He could not help but pull JJ into a friendly, comforting hug.
 
Unable to hold back, JJ burst into tears, clinging to Dee, resting his face in Dee's chest. It was really over, JJ thought. There never will be anything between him and Dee but friendship. There never had been anything as Dee was concerned. For Dee, it was always Ryo. Now he had Ryo for some time, and they were getting married. Dee was carrying Ryo's child. Knowing the type of man Dee was, there was no grander expression of how much he loved Ryo. Dee would never have done that for anyone else, nor put himself in the position to get pregnant. Not even for JJ. JJ knew he finally had to accept the truth and move on… somehow.
 
Drake shook his head, still staring at Dee dumbfounded. “Holy cow,” he uttered.
 
Dee rubbed JJ's back, trying to comfort the distraught man in his arms as JJ cried into his chest. He started to pat JJ's back, watching as Drake stood up.
 
Drake stood next to them, and ruffled JJ's hair. “Come on, buddy,” he said gently, trying to pull JJ off Dee.
 
JJ pulled away, looking up to look Dee in the eyes. “Tell me he's not marrying you just because, because of….” He gestured at Dee's belly, and sniffled.
 
Drake put his arm around JJ's shoulders again, drawing him away from Dee and close to him, holding him protectively. JJ still looked up at Dee, waiting for an answer.
 
Dee smiled warmly and shook his head. “No,” he said, allowing his shirt to drop and straightening it.
 
“He's making you happy, right? Because if he doesn't, I'll kick his a—behind,” JJ warned Dee.
 
Dee grinned at JJ's display. “I know. And he is. Very much so.”
 
“JJ!” Drake exclaimed. “Such foul words out of your mouth! I'm shocked.” He winked at Dee, who shook his head amused. JJ was not one given for cuss words of any sort, even most times when he was upset or distraught. He just was not like the rest of them who cussed in various degrees one way or another.
 
JJ nudged Drake in his stomach with his elbow. “I didn't say it,” he stated.
 
“But you thought it,” Drake said, ruffling JJ's hair affectionately again. “And even that is shocking for you.”
 
Dee let out a chuckle. “I think he has a good reason this time,” he said to Drake and winked at him. Sobering, he looked JJ in his eyes. “Hey man, that goes for you too, okay? When you find Mr. Right. If he does anything to hurt you, I'll give him the beating of his life.”
 
JJ wiped away his tears, sniffling. “Okay. Deal.” He wiped his face again, then looked up at Dee. “Hey, when… I mean, exactly how long have you two been…?
 
Drake nodded in agreement with JJ's question. “Yeah, now, that's an interesting question.”
 
“Ah….” Dee grinned ruefully. “That would be about… two and a half years now.” He winced, feeling bad for keeping something like that a secret for that long with two old friends of his.
 
“Oh man!” Drake and JJ remarked in unison.
 
Drake shook his head. “No wonder Ryo freaked out every time you jumped Dee, JJ! You were jumping Ryo's loverboy.”
 
“Mhmph,” was JJ's only reply, biting his lip and gazing up at Dee.
 
“Hey, it's okay,” Dee said soothingly. “We can still do the glomp thing, just tone it down, okay?” He winked and tweaked JJ's nose.
 
“Dude!” Drake exclaimed. “Why didn't you tell us? We're your closest buds, aren't we?”
 
JJ rubbed his nose, wide eyes glaring up at Dee. “N'hey!”
 
“Well,” Dee replied with a shrug. “I wouldn't have minded screaming it out, but…. Well, JJ and me went through our sexual orientation crisis when we were younger. It was hard enough then….”
 
“So I've heard,” Drake remarked.
 
“Hush you,” JJ warned, nudging Drake in the stomach again.
 
“Plus there was work,” Dee added. “Not that we didn't think you couldn't keep a secret, but a secret that isn't kept between just a few people has a tendency to leak out.”
 
JJ's mouth pressed into a thin line as he stared up at Dee.
 
“Man, you could have trusted Jemmy and me,” Drake said. “And Ted, too. We've kept worse secrets about you safe.” He chuckled, remembering some of Dee's past stunts from years before.
 
Dee smiled a little, looking apologetic. “I should have. I see that now. I'm sorry.”
 
Drake nodded. “Well, I guess it was not your decision alone, huh?” He smiled back and gave Dee's shoulder a friendly slap.
 
JJ moved away from Drake to stand between him and Dee. “Hey! Careful!” he warned Drake.
 
“What?” Drake asked, perplexed.
 
“He's pregnant, man!” JJ replied.
 
“Dude, I should arrest you for that,” Dee said, sounding amused. “That's a felony.”
 
“Yeah, yeah! A friendly pat won't kill him,” Drake explained to JJ, then looked up to Dee. “Or the baby. So chill.”
 
Dee chuckled.
 
“Okay,” JJ said, shaking his head at Drake. “Then you explain to Ryo the bruise he'll have there later!”
 
Drake's eyes widened. “Oh!” He shook his head. “It wasn't that hard, was it? I mean, now that you're pregnant, do you bruise easier now?” he asked Dee. “I don't know about all this male pregnancy stuff. But it took a lot for you to really bruise before, despite what you would whine about.”
 
Dee laughed. “Nah, that won't bruise,” he replied. “Too much… Ryo will never notice. So you're safe.” He placed an arm around both men, standing between them. “C'mon guys, how about we go join the party? And watch the stunned look on Ted's face?”
 
“I… I kinda need a… some… hum….” JJ responded, allowing himself to be lead out of the bathroom.
 
“Air?” Dee asked.
 
“Yeah,” the two men replied in unison again.
 
Drake smirked. “We'll join you in a little bit,” he told Dee. To JJ, he said, “I'm going with you. Need smokes anyway.”
 
Dee lead them through the dining room and they managed to make their way to the coat rack with minimal talk with the other guests. Drake put on his jacket, while JJ buttoned his coat, fiddling with his scarf.
 
Dee nodded, leaning against the wall and folding his arms. “Okay. Take as long as you need. But come back, please. Both of you. I want you here for the New Year at least. Ryo and I will be making our announcement before that. Maybe soon. Depending on when everyone gets here.” Dee took a quick scan of the guests, noting a few newcomers he did not greet yet. There were still a few more to go.
 
“I-I think I'd like to be here for the announcement,” JJ said in a small voice. “I just need some air and think… about things.”
 
Dee pushed away from the wall and patted JJ's shoulder gently. “That's fine. I'll see you both later.” He opened the door for them. “And Drake, just remember that the smoking section up here is in the hallway next to the stairs.”
 
“Yeah, yeah,” Drake said, going to leave and almost bumping into Marty with his family.
 
“It's easy to find,” Marty exclaimed. “Follow your nose. Now this is something new. No smoking in Dee Laytner's apartment. Ryo finally put his foot down, huh?”
 
Drake and JJ waved, calling out they'll be back shortly, as Dee greeted Marty and his wife. “Actually I did,” Dee replied, kneeling down to say hello to Marty's kids.
 
Marty's mouth dropped open in shock at Dee's reply.
 
“Come in, everyone. Give me your coats, and join the madness,” Dee offered, stepping back to allow them inside. He slapped Marty on his back and hugged Marty's wife. “Darla, I'm glad to see you again.”
 
“Hello Dee,” Darla greeted, smiling at Dee. “You did say kids are okay, right? That it's a family affair?”
 
Dee nodded. “We got a kid here ourselves, so it's a family affair. If you want, I'll take the kids over to the other side of the apartment, where their party is.:
 
Marty looked around the apartment. “The other side? Wow! Did you guys do a job on this place! Very nice, Dee.”
 
Darla nodded her head. “I always knew this place had potential if you took the time. It's beautiful, Dee. It almost feels like a penthouse.”
 
Dee chuckled. “Well, this is the only apartment up here now, so I guess it kinda is, being on the top floor and all. So there's the other yo-yos you both know. Food is over where my old kitchen used to be, hard to miss. And I'll take the young ones through the dining room to their party,” Dee explained, walking with them through the apartment.
 
“Thank you, Dee,” Darla smiled. “This most certainly looks like a very charming party. For now,” she laughed. “I mean this is a room of cops with an alcohol supply.” She winked at Dee.
 
Dee laughed and winked back to her. Ted started to walk over to them, stopping to greet Marty and Darla. To the kids, Dee stated, “C'mon guys. You ask me, your party is way cooler, but I'm stuck having to play with the adults.” He pouted a little down to the kids.
 
The kids laughed and practically lead Dee through the apartment, Dee laughing.
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
 
 
After sending Dee off with the tea for JJ, Ryo went back to the party, trying to be a good host. He walked around the apartment, stopping to talk to his various guests, including exchanging a few words with Commissioner Rose, then finding Carol's Aunt Elina had arrived and was talking to his own aunt. The two women had met before and hit it off. Elina had also met the other guys they worked with at least once or twice through the years they had known her. When Ryo stopped to say hello to her, she thanked him for inviting her, allowing her a night to just kick back and have fun. Ryo knew Elina worked hard as an emergency room RN with a schedule that never stayed fixed.
 
Since Carol came to live with her, especially after Carol's father had passed away, leaving the sole care of her niece up to her, Elina put in extra hours to assure she was able to provide as much as she could for Carol. Unfortunately that did not give her much time for socializing, or even to do things with Carol, so every time Ryo and Dee included Carol in their plans with Bikky, she made sure to show her appreciation to them. The few times their scheduling worked to include Elina, she was doubly grateful. Ryo stayed for a few minutes talking to Elina, watching her enjoy eating from her plate that was piled high. Elina was a delicate looking, petite woman, but when she wanted to eat, Ryo and Dee marveled at where it all went. Both men also knew she was far from delicate, because delicate did not last long in the ER.
 
Just as those who saw Ryo as soft did not know Ryo very well. Soft and too sensitive did not last long as a cop, and could never make it to detective, picking up sharp shooter along the way. Almost five years after arriving at the 27th to join the detective bureau, Ryo was one of the precincts top two detectives in being able to get the job done. That made him far from soft. He just knew when sensitive was needed and was able to provide, better than Dee had been able to. In the last couple of years, Ryo had watched that change with Dee. It was as if being with Ryo and loving him had showed Dee it was all right to show his sensitive side sometimes, and that it didn't make him weak.
 
Ryo found himself thinking of Dee's current situation, realizing he started to see a lot more sensitive coming from Dee, and would probably continue for at least another six months. Dee could still be a hard-edged son of a bitch when he wanted to be, and sometimes when he did not, even worse at times in the last weeks when caught up on that side of his mood swings. Yet, Dee learned he did not always have to hide behind that façade.
 
His mind on Dee, he realized his pregnant husband to be was still in the back bathroom with JJ and Drake. That could not be good, Ryo decided, and excused himself to see how things were progressing. He hoped Dee was able to smooth over some of what had happened in the kitchen, Ryo once again reminded of how terrible he felt once it was all said and done between him and JJ. He also knew he stood no chance of repairing any damage between them without Dee doing the initial groundwork. That would include Dee repairing his own damage with JJ. Not that Ryo felt Dee did anything wrong in the kitchen. For once, Dee had found himself not knowing what to say, uncertain of what the right thing would be, and surprisingly decided not to say or do anything. That seemed to have still hurt JJ. Perhaps because JJ saw Dee as a man of action, quite often saying anything, even if the wrong thing, and to JJ the lack of any action meant Dee really did not care at all, and came across as heartless. At least, hopefully once they talked, JJ might understand Dee's silence was more out of concern than being willfully mean. Ryo tried to ignore the unreasonable little voice in the back of his head saying that Dee should have said something, to back Ryo up, at least. He shoved that thought away with a gulp from his cup, emptying it. He stopped for a refill on his trip through the dining room to the other side of the apartment to check on things in the bathroom.
 
He found the bathroom door open. Dee was sitting on the closed seat of the toilet, with JJ and Drake sitting next to each other on the edge of the tub, Drake having a comforting arm around his partner. JJ looked worse than the last time Ryo saw him, and Drake looked shocked, gaping at Dee, and looking concerned at JJ. The three looked up, noticing his presence in the doorway before he had a chance to announce himself, a fleeting moment of panic in all the men's eyes of being caught in this private moment. Relief flooded Dee and Drake's eyes. JJ's glare got harder as his eyes settled on Ryo. A quick question and then a hasty retreat was all Ryo's time in the doorway, closing it behind him to afford the three men some privacy.
 
Dee had come clean to Drake, Ryo surmised, judging from the look Drake had given him. He had a feeling Dee did not yet get to the rest of it, but the look in Dee's eyes told him that was just a matter of time. Ryo decided it was best for Dee to handle the sensitive announcement in private with the two people Ryo had just started to remember were friends to Dee longer than Dee had known Ryo, even if JJ's arrival at the 27th after Ryo was turbulent as far as Dee was concerned. Dee still had his soft moments for JJ, wanting to be there for the other detective when needed.
 
Dee had filled Ryo in on their relationship back at the Academy. They never were more than just friends, but they had been best friends, a support group. Being gay and open in the Academy came with some revulsion from the other cadets, and even instructors who felt homosexuals had no right being in the police force, and if they did find their way and managed to become good cops, they should just keep their mouths closed about their private lives. That did not come easy to people like Dee and JJ. JJ was marked before he had a chance to open his mouth. Dee had dealt with the harassment and hate he had encountered with his usual style, letting it roll off a thick skin, almost getting into fights to show them he was tougher than all of them put together.
 
However, Dee was not as hard and thick under that tough exterior. JJ was there for when Dee was ready to talk about the pain, commiserate about their treatment over drinks in a bar down in the Village, where their kind was welcome. There was a bond formed between the two men that had never been broken. Even after JJ decided he loved Dee and wanted him as his lover, possibly his significant other. Dee never felt the same way. JJ's love turned into an obsession that finally caused Dee to move upon graduating from the Academy to get away from JJ. Years later, JJ came to the 27th, his obsession over Dee still the same. Somehow the bond still survived despite Dee's running to avoid JJ when he could, and his sometimes harsh treatment when he could not.
 
Ryo had hoped that bond would help in the bathroom. JJ had to come to accept that he will never have Dee, because he belonged to Ryo. Hopefully once learning that they were getting married and Dee was having Ryo's baby would finally help in the truth sinking in JJ. Maybe Dee might find the right words that would allow JJ to give up the chase and just become one of Dee's best friends again. And with a little luck, one day, maybe Ryo and JJ can say that they were friends, instead of rivals.
 
After leaving the bathroom, Ryo found himself at the bar, pouring himself yet another glass of eggnog. He found his courage in several cups of Rick's eggnog. Despite all he had drank that night, he still was not drunk - just a bit tipsy and starting to feel good.
 
As Ryo sipped his latest cup of Rick's potent holiday drink, his trained eyes scanned his guests. At least everyone else was having a good time. There was even some dancing going on in the section of the living room that extended just outside their bedroom. Ryo's eyes settled on Commissioner Rose, who was talking to Elina. Riz had showed up with her husband, Ryo noted and was currently at the buffet spread, filling plates for herself and her husband, while Mike, her husband, got a wine cooler for her and a beer for himself. Ted and Janet seemed to be hitting it off quite well that night. They had agreed to come together, but from what Ted had said on Friday morning, it was not exactly a date. That seemed to be changing as the night went on. There were a few others that they worked with who had arrived with either a date or by themselves. Currently, Emily was chatting it up with a patrolman who had become a friend of Ryo's. In a corner, sitting together were Diana and Richard, talking amongst themselves.
 
Ryo decided on his target. He needed to do something in order for him and Dee to carry out their plan later that night. The plan to start getting Diana and Rose together, that is. Ryo realized that night had several agendas planned by himself and Dee. He let out a chuckle as he made his way over to the couple.
 
He approached them as they laughed over something Richard had said. Ryo frowned, then tried to smooth his features. He did not want it to look that obvious. He also did not want to be outright rude to Richard. Look where being obvious got him, he considered, once again thinking about what had happened in the kitchen, and why Dee was currently stuck in the back bathroom with JJ and Drake instead of enjoying himself among their guests on this big night for them.
 
Diana looked up, smiling as she noticed Ryo. “Oh Ryo. Come sit down,” she invited.
 
Ryo tried to return her smile and did as she requested, sitting on the other side of her.
 
Her attention now on Ryo, her smile faltered a little. “Everything okay? You look a little pale, sweetie.”
 
Ryo was going to deny any problems, but with Diana, he found he could not. Since their talk almost three years ago which finally helped Ryo make his final acceptance that he loved Dee and allowed them to finally make love, Diana had become a confidant to Ryo, his best friend to talk about things that one could not talk to their significant other with. Ryo knew Dee had Drake and Barry for that, but even then Dee could not cover the topics Ryo was able with Diana. Unlike Dee's best friends, Diana knew about them from the start, and Ryo grew more open in his ability to discuss things with Diana. When he wanted to, that is. When Diana prodded things out of him, it was a bit more difficult, but he would always end up talking anyway.
 
It was no surprise to Ryo when he found himself shaking his head in answer to Diana's question. “No,” he simply replied, before taking a gulp from his drink. “Every time I think I got the knack of socializing with people, I always end up screwing things up somehow.”
 
Diana looked at Ryo in surprise. The last thing she expected to hear from Ryo was his not being able to socialize. She always found him charming and polite, going out of his way to be nice to others. There were exceptions when she knew Ryo had reason. Not being able to socialize was one of the last things she thought Ryo would have problems with.
 
“What happened, sweetie?” she asked. “Is Dee all right?”
 
Ryo's eyes flickered quickly around to assure no other guests were close enough to hear him, then replied in a low voice, “JJ walked into the kitchen while Dee and I were having a private moment.” He sighed heavily, his eyes falling to the little remaining of his drink.
 
Diana's eyes opened wide. “Oh my! I take it he didn't take it too well, hm?”
 
Ryo shrugged. “That, and I didn't handle it well either.”
 
Diana shook her head. “Oh no. Don't tell me you pulled a stunt like you did at the airport in LA?”
 
“Well, not as bad, at least I don't think so.” He shrugged again. “I'm not sure. I - I thought I was doing the right thing. I mean, it threw me off. And there was no way to do anything but admit the truth. So I said the first thing on my mind at the time. I really thought I was doing JJ the favor. Turns out I hurt him really bad.”
 
Diana smiled fondly at Ryo. “Ryo, sweetie, let me be honest here. You saying the first thing on your mind is not always the best thing. What did you say?”
 
Ryo shook his head. “Never mind. I know I was wrong now, but the damage is done. I just need to find a way to repair it.” He finished the contents of his cup. “I guess I allowed my emotions to control me. It felt good for a moment there. But now I feel like a complete and total bastard.” He dropped his head in shame.
 
Diana placed a comforting hand on Ryo's shoulder and she gazed at him in concern. “Spill the beans, Ryo. What did you say to the poor little guy?”
 
With a heavy sigh, Ryo lifted his head, running his hand through his hair. He shook his head. “It's bad, Diana. I don't need you to tell me that. I just betrayed the trust of someone who didn't deserve it. If I only allowed myself to see past my jealousy at the time, maybe… Oddly enough, Dee remained clamped up, looking as if he was afraid anything he would say could make things worse. For once, Dee was the one who acted with his brains.”
 
Diana chuckled. “I don't know if you noticed, but when it comes to you dealing with JJ, Dee is always the one who has to think with his brains and not his emotions. Someone has to keep you two from killing each other at times.”
 
Ryo stared down into his empty glass. “Stop fussin',” he stated. “I'll deal with it. Not saying it'll be right, but....” He shrugged, then started to stand up. “I'm getting myself another drink. You want something? How about you, Richard?”
 
Richard held out his empty glass to Ryo, smiling. “Red wine again for me, please.”
 
Diana shook her head. “I still have some, but thank you, sweetie.”
 
Ryo nodded. “One red wine coming up,” he stated, grinning at Richard.
 
He turned to go over to the drinks and noticed across the living room, Rose talking with Jim, Patricia and Emily. Out of the corner of his eye, he kept a steady watch on Diana. Ryo casually walked past the Commissioner, slowing down to speak.
 
“Supposedly he's just a `friend',” Ryo said to the Commissioner, then snorted, letting Rose know what he thought friend meant and what he thought about it. He continued on his way to the bar.