Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ The Countdown Begins ( Chapter 24 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Unexpected I
Chapter 24
The Countdown Begins
Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: R, Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read!
 
I wish FAKE belonged to me. I especially wish Dee and Ryo belonged to me, but alas they belong to each other - and to the very talented and wonderful Sanami Matoh, along with the rest of the FAKE characters, series and anime. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
 
Big special thanks to DeeRyoFan and Gracie Musica for all their help with the party!!! I couldn't have pulled this off without them. *hugs*
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
Richard looked around the apartment before asking Diana, “Diana, do you know where the bathroom is?”
 
Diana shook her head. “Oh sorry, no. Um… wait here.” She got up and noticing Ryo's aunt sitting on the window seat with Elina, approached her.
 
Elena was quick on noticing Diana, and seeing she had a question. “Yes dear?” she asked as Diana stopped before her. “Do you need something?”
 
“Can you tell me where the bathroom is? I've never been here before. Ryo and Dee always came over to my place when we met for dinner.” She wondered why she never bothered to visit her friends at their own homes before. She determined that now that she was there, she would make an effort to come over and visit the happy couple in their lovely home whenever she was in New York City.
 
Elena laughed. “Oh, no problem. It's the door across from the one you came in from. Deceptive, I know. I thought it was a coat closet myself when I first came to this apartment.” She laughed breezily, making Diana feel comfortable, and laughing along with Elena.
 
 
 
Ryo noticed Dee, walking between Drake and JJ. With a friendly arm draped around each man, Dee was escorting them to the door. Ryo stayed by the bar, refilling his and Richard's drinks. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed the easy, friendly comaradie between the three men as Drake and JJ prepared to leave. Dee did not seem concerned, which Ryo took as a good sigh. He looked relaxed and better than he had when he left the kitchen with the tea for JJ. He continued to watch as Marty and family arrived. Ryo decided he'd wait to greet them.
 
He stopped watching Dee when he noticed his partner heading in his direction, surrounded by Marty's family. Dee brushed his arm as they passed, only to find Bikky coming toward him from the other side.
 
“Oh cool! Marty's kids are here,” Bikky exclaimed. “I got them, Dee. You have fun at your party.” He grinned at Dee as the kids left Dee's side to flock around Bikky. Bikky was all smiles as he spoke to them, leading them into the other room.
 
Dee stopped to stand next to Ryo, pouring himself a ginger ale. He leaned his head closer to Ryo's, assuring no one could hear. “I had to tell them, baby,” Dee said softly into his ear.
 
Ryo lifted the cup of eggnog to his mouth and drank it down. “Hm? Yeah… I guess so.” He slammed the empty cup down on the table. “Glad to hear that.” He started to pour himself another glass.
 
“I think he'll be okay,” Dee stated, his eyes on Ryo's drink. As Ryo started to down his refilled drink, Dee rubbed Ryo's back. “It'll be okay, baby,” he assured his fiance. “JJ seemed excited about the chibi.”
 
Ryo just nodded and had another gulp of his drink.
 
“Uh, Ryo?” Dee frowned a little, watching the contents of Ryo's glass quickly go down. “You might want to ease up on the eggnog,” he suggested mildly, in concern.
 
Ryo shook his head, lifting the cup to his mouth again. “I'm fine,” he said, then had another drink.
 
Dee chuckled. “Which is why you're drowning yourself in whiskey,” he observed.
 
Ryo put his cup down and looked up at Dee. “Which is exactly why I'm fine, Dee.” He put down the empty cup and ended up picking up Richard's wine glass, intending to bring it to their guest.
 
Dee was about to take it from Ryo when the doorbell rang. He sighed and kissed Ryo's temple quickly. “Let me go get that one,” he offered before walking away from Ryo.
 
Ryo looked up to say something to Dee and ended up watching him walk away. He growled, filling his cup again. Staring down at the punch bowl filled with eggnog, he mumbled, “It's all falling apart and not according to plan.”
 
Dee opened the door to find his childhood friend, Barry, along with Barry's wife and three kids.
 
Barry's face broke into a wide smile upon seeing Dee at the door. “DEE LAYTNER!!!” he bellowed enthusiastically, taking a step forward.
 
Dee grinned. “Ah, Barry! You made it.” He gave Barry a big hug.
 
Barry grasped onto Dee with his large muscular arms, pulling him into a bear hug. “How the hell are you doing, Dee? It's been a while, buddy boy.”
 
Dee squirmed in the hold, while Barry's wife, Julie, laughed. It was always the same when the two got together after not seeing each other for a while. The last time they saw each other was shortly after they finished the apartment. Dee and Ryo had invited Barry and his family over for dinner, as a thanks in helping them renovate.
 
“Ugh… Bar…” Dee wheezed. “Can't breathe…”
 
“Sorry we're so so so late,” Barry apologized, squeezing Dee tighter with each `so'.
 
“It's okay, man,” Dee replied, gasping a little. “Just don't suffocate me!”
 
With a chuckle, he released Dee.
 
Ryo heard Barry's bellow and with a full cup of eggnog, walked over to the door in time to see Barry release Dee. Placing his drink down on a nearby stand, he smiled up at Barry. “Hey Barry! Good to see you again!”
 
Dee had moved to give Julie, and the kids hugs while Barry turned his hug assault on Ryo. “Hey Ryo!” Barry greeted with a big smile. No sooner had he finished speaking, Ryo was firmly encased in one of Barry's infamous bear hugs.
 
“Mmmphhh…” was all Ryo managed to get out. He attempted to hug Barry back, but his arms went flailing, thankful he had thought to put the drink down. He did not feel like having to clean up eggnog from the carpet.
 
Barry finally released Ryo with a hearty pat to his back, which almost toppled Ryo over. Ryo barely gained his balance, realizing he was starting to feel more than just a bit tipsy. He turned to Julie and the kids.
 
“Hi Julie. I'm glad you all could make it tonight.” He hugged Julie and waved to the kids. “Can I take your coats? You can check in your kids with Dee.” Ryo chuckled at his own joke.
 
Dee looked at Ryo with a strange, but amused smile. He shook his head. “That's right,” he agreed. “Ryo's the coat check and I'm the kid check tonight.”
 
Barry's youngest child, a three year old boy, waved happily from Julie's arm. “'Ullo ucka Dee!” he greeted.
 
“Hey there, squirt,” Dee greeted. He kissed the little boy's forehead. To Julie he stated, “We have a kids zone set up.” To the toddler, he asked, “You want to go play with the other kids, Marc?”
 
The little one, Marc, nodded his head up and down, squirming in his mother's arms. “Yeath.. Ith Bik there?”
 
Dee smiled. “Yes, Bikky's there.” He took the little one from Julie and looked down at the other two youngsters. “You guys up to kids' zone? We have lots of cool things to do and food to eat.”
 
“YAY! Let's go, Uncle Dee,” the middle child, five year old Sammy, replied excitedly, grabbing onto Dee's shirt.
 
“Sounds cool, Uncle Dee,” Barry's 6 year old daughter, Chloe replied. “But I hope there's some girls there.”
 
Dee chuckled as he watched Ryo take Barry and Julie's coats. “Oh, there's girls there,” Dee assured her.
 
“Thanks, Ryo,” Julie sighed, sounding a bit exhausted as Ryo took her coat.
 
“If you will excuse me, kid check will settle these guys down at their party,” Dee said, with a wink, then grinned at the toddler in his arms. “Isn't that right?”
 
Little Marc threw his arms up in the air. “YAY! Pawty!” He hugged Dee.
 
Dee laughed, rubbing his nose against the child's. “Yeah, party.”
 
Chloe was looking back at Ryo, who turned a bit awkwardly toward the coat rack. “Uncle Dee, is Uncle Ryo drunk?” she asked.
 
“Umm… well....” Dee started, certain Ryo was, but not sure what to say to the child.
 
She looked up at him. “How come Uncle Ryo is drunk and you're not? You're always drunk at parties.”
 
“Ahh… Sheesh,” Dee said, then laughed. “Because I promised Uncle Ryo I'd take care of stuff for once. That's why. It's only fair.”
 
“Why?” Sammy, who was still hanging off Dee's shirt asked, tugging on it.
 
“Because that's the way we agreed, squirt. Now c'mon to the party with Bikky.”
 
“Does our party have alkahall?” Sammy asked.
 
“NO!” Dee remarked. “No alcohol for squirts. Only juice and soda.”
 
Sammy nodded. “Good. Daddy don't like us to drink alkahall.”
 
Dee nodded in agreement. “You're right. That's not for pipsqueaks,” he said. “But there's plenty of juice for you squirts.” With a chuckle, he lead the children to the back, leaving Barry and Julie to deal with Ryo.
 
Ryo turned to Julie after hanging up their coats. “You look like you could use a seat. If there aren't any there for you, you let me know and I'll chase one of our rude male guests away.” He smiled charmingly at her, winking.
 
Julie laughed, leaning into Barry, who placed an arm around her shoulders. “Thanks Ryo. I swear Marc will be the death of me one day.”
 
Ryo laughed, coming between Barry and Julie, taking her arm and leaving Barry to walk alongside him, his hand on Barry's side holding the glass he picked up. “Follow me to the festivities,” he exclaimed.
 
Barry and Julie exchanged glances behind Ryo's head and shook their heads in amusement. It was obvious that Ryo had already started celebrating. What Barry found odd was he did not notice any hint of Dee drinking. His longtime friend smelled of ginger ale. Barry wondered if Julie caught it too when Dee greeted her. He figured maybe they planned for one of them to stay sober in case a designated driver was needed. He guessed perhaps Ryo decided for once he was not going to be the one. It made him muse over how much Dee had changed since Ryo came into his life, and once again had to wonder if the two were more than just roommates and best friends. What confused him was if that was true, then why didn't Dee mention anything? It was not as if Barry did not know Dee swung both ways, and had relationships with men as well as women. Barry had discussed that once with Julie. His wife thought that perhaps Ryo was not quite as open about his preferences as Dee was, even if it did strike her that it was very likely Ryo was gay.
 
He glanced over at Ryo, who by now was a good friend of his and chuckled. One day, he decided, they would give themselves away.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
Dee returned to the living room and looked around, noting all the additional guests he had missed while stuck in the bathroom with JJ and Drake. Once again armed with a glass of ginger ale, he started to make his rounds, going over to all the guests he did not greetyet.
 
Barry and Julie started to mingle as Ryo released them in the midst of the crowd, greeting those they knew from other parties. Ryo chatted along with them for a few minutes, until he started to make his way back toward the bar, stopping to talk to other guests along the way. Dee was talking to Riz and her husband, and Dan, another cop from the 27th, while keeping an eye on Ryo's doings. It was quite obvious to Dee that Ryo would have to stop drinking soon if he hoped to make it to at least the moment when they would make their announcement to their guests. Dee scanned the guests again, mentally figuring out who they were still waiting for to arrive, deciding to give them another half hour or so before they let loose their surprise on their friends.
 
He noticed Commissioner Rose standing off to a corner, speaking to Marty and his wife, his eyes on Diana, who was now walking around the apartment by herself, speaking to the other guests, obviously enjoying herself. She stopped by Jim and Patricia. Dee saw the Commissioner's eyes stay on her, while still appearing to be paying attention to Marty. Dee's attention went back to Ryo, who had made his way over to Ted.
 
Standing over Ted, who was sitting on the couch, balancing a beer and a plate of food, Ryo looked down at his guest. “How's it going so far, Teddy-boy?” he asked with a grin. He slapped Ted's shoulder, causing the man to spill some of his beer onto the throw rug near the couch. Ryo did not seem to notice.
 
Ted laughed, quite tipsy himself. “I'd say the same as you, Ryo,” he replied, grinning back at his host.
 
Or more likely, Dee surmised, Ryo was just drunk enough not to care about spills. It worried him a little, so he excused himself from talking to his guests to start making his way over to Ryo, just in case. Ryo may have been beyond caring at that point, but Dee was in no mood to have to pick up more than he was going to have to when the last guest left. He already knew he would not be able to depend on Ryo to even help out, because he figured by then, this lover would make more of a mess trying to help.
 
Ryo's grin grew as his eyes fell on Janet. “Is he being a gentleman?”
 
Janet giggled, winking up at Ryo. “No, but that's okay.”
 
Ted leaned against her with a sloppy smile. “She loves me just the way I am,” he stated.
 
Janet giggled again. “You wish,” she replied to him.
 
“Ahh, office romance, huh?” Ryo stated, amused. He waggled his finger at the two, grinning wickedly. “Naughty naughty.”
 
Janet laughed. “Look who's talking!” she retorted.
 
“What? Me?!?” Ryo asked, laughing. “Now who in the hell do you think I would be involved with?” He winked at Janet and Ted.
 
Dee came to stand next to Ryo. He had heard enough and wondered what Janet meant, having more than a good idea. From the look on his face, Ryo did too and was about to comment on it.
 
Dee put a hand on Ryo's shoulder. “Hey Ryo,” he broke into the conversation. “I need some help in the kitchen for a moment.”
 
Ted looked up and laughed.
 
Janet shook her head in amusement as she giggled. “I'd say you do, Laytner. As in you can't do a thing otherwise.”
 
Dee pouted down at her. “Never assume, my fair lady.” He pointed to the garlic orange shrimp on her plate. “That's my cooking you're eating there.” He chuckled at Janet's look.
 
Ryo burst out in laughter. “The world's best kept secret, if you ask me. Dee Laytner can cook. I dare say, better than me, I'm afraid.” He feigned putting a distressed hand to his forehead.
 
Dee shook his head. “C'mon buddy, and give me a hand, will ya?” he asked, starting to tug Ryo with him.
 
Commissioner Rose appeared next to Dee, his eyes on Ryo. “I can give you a hand, Laytner. Probably a better choice, if you ask me.” He smiled at Dee, looking amused.
 
Ryo looked over at Dee. “Huh? What are we needing, Dee?”
 
Dee smiled apologetically at the Commissioner. “Ryo needs to be in the kitchen a bit,” he said low, indicating with his eyes Ryo's condition.
 
Rose nodded his head in understanding.
 
“Oh… okay,” Ryo replied, turning to face Dee and Rose. “Sorry, Commissioner, but it have it all under control. As usual, we're on the case. Carry on having fun, sir.”
 
Rose frowned a little, his eyes shifted back to Dee, who shrugged. “Mhmp,” was his only response, realizing that Ryo was quite drunk. Richard had chose that moment to walk past them, heading over to Diana. Rose threw a menacing look at the man.
 
Ryo followed Rose's glare. “OH! I was supposed to bring him some wine…” He chuckled ruefully. “I drank it, I'm afraid.”
 
Dee shook his head. “Sorry, Commissioner. We'll be back in a bit. If you want to talk, grab me then.”
 
Rose nodded. “While you two take care of things in the kitchen, allow me to get Richard his wine.”
 
“Be nice now, Commissioner,” Dee stated.
 
“Of course. I'm civilized,” the Commissioner replied.
 
Ryo snorted loudly as a reply. Both Dee and Ryo looked at him, before Dee lead Ryo into the kitchen.
 
Once inside, safely behind the closed shades and locked kitchen door, Dee wrapped his arms around Ryo. He kissed the drunk man's forehead. “Baby, it'll all be okay,” Dee assured. He rubbed his arms up and down Ryo's arms.
 
“Sure, Dee,” Ryo replied. He leaned in to grab a quick kiss from Dee. “I know. It is.”
 
“They'll be fine, I think,” Dee stated. “JJ just needs to get over the shock. Of everything.” He pulled his head away from Ryo's a bit to gaze into his eyes. “And the two of you need to sit down and have a decent conversation.”
 
Ryo shook his head. “I don't wanna talk about JJ right now. Because then I'll get all upset again and feeling bad and stuff. And right now, I'm not.”
 
Dee wrapped his arms tighter around Ryo. Ryo babbling was a sure sign of him being more than just tipsy and going well into complete intoxication. Not that Dee minded, but there was a time for that. And the time was not before they stood before their friends and came clean. He wanted Ryo to feel relaxed, but not hiding behind any alcoholic euphoria when the time came. “I love you, baby,” he stated sincerely. “No matter what.”
 
Ryo pulled away from Dee. “No matter what?” he asked carefully.
 
Dee nodded. “No matter what happens.”
 
“Tonight?” Ryo asked. When Dee nodded, he added, “Yeah. I know that, love. You don't have to assure me on that.”
 
Dee chuckled warmly. He took Ryo's hand in his and placed it on his stomach.
 
Ryo smiled gently as he leaned into to kiss Dee. “The entire world can turn their backs on us, and I won't care,” he said, his lips still close to Dee's. “Just so long as our family is together.” He gently rubbed the small swell under his hand. Looking down at his hand, he said, “Close your ears, chibi.”
 
Dee raised an eyebrow, wondering what Ryo was up to.
 
Ryo grinned up at Dee. “Fuck `em if they don't like it.”
 
Dee laughed out loud, liking the declaration coming from Ryo. As drunk as he may be, Dee knew it was not the alcohol speaking. It was Ryo, how he was feeling lately. It was not the first time he heard Ryo say it and doubted it would be the last time. He rubbed his stomach and Ryo's hand. “Our little one will hear much worse before we're through.”
 
Ryo chuckled. “I'm sure,” he agreed.
 
Dee placed his other arm around Ryo's neck, hooking him close for another kiss. They indulged in the kiss for several minutes, Dee ending up leaning against a counter with Ryo pressed against him. Finally Dee pulled away from Ryo with a gasp. If they continued the way they were going, houseful of guests or not, Dee knew he would have been tearing Ryo's clothes off, begging for Ryo to have his way with him on the counter. Or the floor. Or breakfast bar. It didn't matter. He sighed, studying Ryo, deciding Ryo was going to slow down on his drinking for the rest of the night. He had plans for the two of them after the last guest had left, and it did not include taking care of a too drunk lover. He'd take care of Ryo all right, he affirmed, in the best way possible for them both.
 
“So wanna drop the bomb?” he asked Ryo. “I mean, Vince and Chief know about us, and that's all that's left, right?”
 
Ryo snorted. “Well, I most certainly hope Vince knows!” He let out a laugh. Placing his arms around Dee's neck, he got serious for a moment. “Look Dee, I'm really sorry about screwing it up with JJ.” He closed the distance between their mouth to kiss Dee briefly. “But it's not going to ruin my night. Okay?”
 
Dee nodded. “JJ'll be okay. He's a tough little shit when he needs to be.” He chuckled.
 
“Yeah, that's JJ. Tough shit,” Ryo grinned.
 
“Ryo…” Dee warned, but could not help laughing.
 
Ryo rubbed his nose against Dee's. “Yeah. Sure, let's tell `em. Go get your ring, beautiful.” He grinned as he claimed Dee's mouth again.
 
Dee returned the kiss. “No more alcohol,” he stated when he broke the kiss for air.
 
Ryo pouted up at him. “Aww… not even a teeny weeny bit?”
 
“Maybe when we make a toast,” Dee replied, putting his foot down. “But no more until we make the announcement. And then I get cookies. Deal?”
 
Ryo smiled, rubbing Dee's stomach again. “Deal.” He smirked, looking up at Dee. “Now go get your ring so we can make this announcement.” He laughed at Dee's face.
 
Dee shook his head. “You're bad sometimes, Ryo. I should know better than to let you start to drink.” He chuckled, kissing Ryo softly before turning to leave the kitchen.
 
Ryo walked with him. “Hey, at least all our guest are looking like they're having a good time so far.” He opened the kitchen door for them.
 
They were assaulted by the blast of laughter, talking, and a few drunken guests in a corner by the stereo, singing along with the current song loudly, even if they did not know the words.
 
Dee laughed. “Sounds like it too,” he said, smiling at Ryo.
 
“So anyway, that's one huge relief right there,” Ryo said, winking at Dee. “Our first official party is a major success.”
 
Dee grinned, before he started toward their bedroom to get his engagement ring.
 
Ryo watched him as far as he could before Dee disappeared into the bedroom. Ryo moved to wait in the section of the living room near the bedroom door, watching some of their guests dancing to the music. He noticed his aunt and uncle among the dancers. When they looked over to him, he smiled, nodding his head to give them the signal that it was almost time.
 
Almost time for Ryo to stop hiding and come open with his lifestyle and his love for Dee. He paused to take stock on how he felt. Anxious. Funny, he had been expecting that once they were facing the moment that he would feel nervous, maybe a touch of cold feet for a few minutes. Perhaps even stammer a little at the beginning, despite his having worked out in advance what he was going to say. He felt none of those things. He glanced at the bedroom door, thinking about the man inside and started to smile tenderly.
 
`Why did I wait so long to do this?' Ryo thought. He wanted all his friends and co-workers to know he was in love with Dee. That Dee loved him. Dee loved him so much, he was having their child, and said yes to his proposal. There was nothing to be ashamed of loving Dee, and everything to be proud of. He mentally willed Dee to hurry it up, so they could finally get things out in the open.
 
As if hearing him, Dee appeared in the doorway, looking down as he started to shine the ring on his finger a little on his shirt. He lifted his hand to check his work and had such a beautiful smile, Ryo's breath caught. This was the man he was going to spend the rest of his life with. Ryo wondered how did he get so lucky. He took a moment to silently give thanks for Dee deciding to pursue him, for never giving up. This was their reward.
 
Ryo continued to watch Dee until his fiance was standing next to him. Dee was still smiling that wonderful smile.
 
“I'm going to go let Bikky know we're getting ready,” Dee stated. He took Ryo's hand for a quick squeeze.
 
Ryo nodded. “Sure, love. He wants to be part of this.” Ryo continued to watch as Dee turned the corner to go into the other side of the apartment. Ryo's attention went back to the guests, watching them all have fun.
 
Ted, Janet, Jim, Emily and Patricia broke into loud laughter over a joke Barry had made. Barry had his arm around his wife, both enjoying their time with the others.
 
Ryo continued to smile, watching their friends and family. The smile faded for a moment as he whispered, “Please… I don't really want to lose any of you.” His smile returned, confident. What was he worried about? All those they call friends knew at least about Dee's sexual preferences and had no problems with it. If nothing else, Dee was lucky to be surrounded by such supportive friends, who allowed him to be himself, even if they themselves were not homosexual. Why should they not allow Ryo the same freedom? They were all Ryo's friends too. More important, why should they not be happy for Dee and Ryo being a couple and planning to get married. Those dates that were strangers to Ryo, he realized he did not care what they thought. `They don't like it, fuck `em. Just show `em to the door,' he thought.
 
What did worry him was what someone who was a friend might feel about a carrier. The same sentiment if they didn't like it. Yet, Ryo told himself Dee had luck with such things. Things came easy for Dee. He managed to find friends who did not care who he loved. Ryo was certain Dee's luck would hold that those same friends would be happy for him once they found out about the baby.
 
He started to walk toward the dining room, intending to tell Dee and Bikky to hurry it up. He was interrupted when the doorbell rang.
 
With a sigh, he went to answer the door.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
After Dee lead Ryo into the kitchen, Rose poured three glasses of wine. Carefully balancing the glasses, he headed over to where Diana and Richard were talking.
 
“Ryo told me you requested red wine?” Rose asked, holding the glass out for Richard. “He sends his apologies, but apparently there was some emergency in the kitchen that him and Dee had to attend to.”
 
Richard took the offered glass. “Why thank you, uh…:
 
“Berkeley. Berkeley Rose. A long time friend of Diana's, and Commissioner at the 27th.”
 
“It's a pleasure to meet you, Commissioner,” Richard greeted, extending his hand.
 
“Oh please. I'm off duty. Please call me Berkeley.”
 
Diana smirked knowingly. “A little smoochie smoochie in the kitchen would be more like it, knowing those two bunnies.”
 
“Diana!” Rose exclaimed, looking appalled.
 
“Oh, don't act shocked Berks,” Diana remarked. “You knew about them for a while, before they admitted it to you. They told me while we were in Los Angeles together. So you and Dee all buddy buddy now?”
 
Rose shook his head in amusement. “We called a truce, yes.” He gazed at Richard, wondering just how much Diana had told him about their two guests of honor. She would never had said what she had if Richard was not at least aware of a relationship between them.
 
Diana smiled. “That's good. Dee's good people. I trust you accept that this is it for them? No more trying to get between them?”
 
“Nothing of the sort, I assure you. Dee won, fair and square. Ryo deserves the best he can get in love.” Rose sighed. “And watching them when they are being open, and listening to Dee talk about Ryo, I have to admit, Dee's just that for Ryo. I wish them luck and happiness.”
 
“Save that for when you toast them at their wedding,” Diana laughed.
 
“They seem okay for gay men,” Richard remarked.
 
Diana and Rose gazed at him. “Meaning?” Rose asked.
 
“Just what I said. I have nothing against them. They both seem very nice. Even if Ryo is somewhat… soft.”
 
Diana and Rose laughed at Richard's observation.
 
“Don't let that fool you,” Rose warned. “Once I thought he broke my jaw when his fist connected with my jaw.”
 
Diana shook her head giggling. “And do not piss him off! He's got a temper and there's nothing soft about that temper.” She smiled wickedly. “And don't let Dee's hard surface throw you off either. He's really a sweetheart once you get to know him.”
 
“You can call a man who calls you Seahag a sweetheart?” Richard asked, amazed.
 
Diana nodded. “I sure can. It's just the way we act with each other sometimes. I don't allow Dee to give me shit, he don't allow me to. We both respect that in others, and enjoy our banter.”
 
“Why don't we get ourselves comfortable?” Rose offered, gesturing to the currently not used window seat. “They have quite a lovely view of Manhattan from that window, don't they?”
 
Diana nodded, touching Richard's arm to follow her and Rose. “Have you ever been here before, Berks? Because this is my first time.”
 
“I've been by here once, to go over a case with Dee and Ryo,” Rose explained. “That was when only Dee lived here and the apartment was much different. Smaller. They did a wonderful job. It hardly looks like the same apartment.”
 
Diana smiled. “I heard that Dee had plenty to do with planning and even did a lot of the work around here. He, of course, got Ryo to help.”
 
“Really? I didn't know Dee was so handy?” Rose asked, intrigued.
 
“Yeah. Dee worked construction with Barry,” she pointed Barry out to Rose, “during college for money. Barry and Dee go back to their teens.”
 
“Barry and Dee, were they…?” Rose asked.
 
Diana shook her head. “Oh no! Barry's pure heterosexual. But he did date the girls Dee would break up with when they were younger.” She snickered. “I had to ask Barry if Dee dated Julie before him. Barry said no, that Julie was the first woman he had that Dee didn't. That's how he knew she was going to be the one they married.”
 
“Dee dated women?” Richard asked. “I thought he was gay?”
 
“Dee's bisexual,” Diana explained. “Or he referred to his single days as being an equal opportunity lover. These days, it's just Ryo. It will always be Ryo for him now.”
 
Rose nodded in agreement. “So Richard, are you an associate of Diana's?”
 
Richard shook his head. “We're friends.”
 
“Oh. Tell me more,” Rose stated. He made himself comfortable as Richard started to explain how he missed his flight out to LA and how Diana ended up inviting him
 
The three fell into pleasant conversation.
 
Until talk turned to politics and current affairs. Richard's view on things were very conservative, and as much as he claimed he had no problem with Dee and Ryo, he obviously felt homosexuals had no place in the world. Diana and Rose were exchanging glances and Diana looked a little worried.
 
“Personally I think those damn carriers need to be gathered up and sterilized so they don't pass on that mutation and further disrupt the laws of nature,” Richard was saying at one point. “It's just damn unnatural.”
 
“Maybe, but there's more carriers than we know,” Rose stated carefully.
 
“Which is why there should be a law requiring all males, homosexual or not, to take the test. If they are a carrier, they need to have that freak organ removed immediately,” Richard said.
 
“Oh!” Diana exclaimed. “Surely you don't mean that.”
 
“But I do, Diana,” Richard insisted.
 
“I see…” was all Diana stated. She looked over at Rose, who nodded his head.
 
“Well, just in case there turns out to be any carriers present here tonight, I ask you to keep your opinions to yourself,” Diana requested.
 
“Figures,” Richard snorted. “Where there's gays, there's carriers. Don't tell me. Sweet little Ryo got himself knocked up.”
 
Rose shook his head. “No. Ryo is not pregnant. I'm not even certain if he's a carrier. I never bothered asking them.”
 
Richard shrugged. “I'll be quiet. But just tonight. I won't stop talking to Congress.”
 
“I see,” Diana stated, the ice evident in her voice. Her eyes met Rose's again.
 
Richard had the feeling that he had just lost his chances with Diana. But he did not care. The issue was one important enough to him that he could not get involved with a woman who supported carriers. He was glad he found out where they both stood before they got serious about each other. He shrugged. “If you will excuse, I think I'll make myself another plate of food. One thing I got to hand to the gays, they sure know how to cater a party.” He got up and left Rose and Diana to continue staring at each other.
 
“I'm sorry, Berks. I had no idea how he felt. I hope he doesn't try to start any trouble.”
 
“If he does, I'll personally kick his ass out of the apartment.”
 
Diana chuckled. “That is if you get to him before Ryo. I might actually feel sorry for him if he starts something and Ryo gets his hands on him.”
 
Rose nodded. “I have to say I believe you. And I'd make sure Ryo gets away with it. So tell me what you have been doing with yourself since the last time we had a chance to talk?” Rose asked.
 
Diana smiled and moved to sit closer to Rose, as the two fell into pleasant, comfortable conversation.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
Dee maneuvered around the kids, many of them looking up or stopping in their play to say hello to Dee. Dee returned the greeting to everyone. He ended up with Dani in his arms as he looked around for Bikky.
 
“Hey Dani, where's your cousin Bikky?”
 
Dani pointed to Bikky's room. “He went there to make more music,” she giggled.
 
“Ah. Thank you sweetheart.” He kissed her nose. “Are you having a good time?”
 
She nodded her head. Chloe scrambled by, looking up at them and Dani started to squirm. “Wanna play, cousin Dee,” she requested.
 
Dee chuckled. “Well, don't let me stop you, angel.” He set her down and watched her toddle off with Chloe.
 
Dee shook his head, amazed that the kid situation was actually under control. The older boys actually helped Bikky and Carol keep the little ones occupied and happy. He smiled as he went over to Bikky's room. Sticking his head into the room, he called out, “Hey midget man, I had to tell JJ already, but his face was great. Sorry I didn't get to take pictures for you.”
 
Bikky looked up. “I know. I heard the glass shatter. Ryo came in briefly and asked if I would clean up the bathroom floor quickly so tiny feet don't get cut.”
 
“Thanks, kiddo. So wanna watch everyone else's reactions?” Dee asked, grinning.
 
“Oh hell yeah,” Bikky exclaimed, putting down his CDs. He looked over at Lai. “Do you mind finishing with the music? Or do you want to join the fun?”
 
“You go with your dad,” Lai stated. “I'll get the little ones set up for dancing and then take a peek with Lass.”
 
“Carol!” Bikky called out, following Dee out of his room. Carol looked over at him from across the room. “It's showtime. C'mon!”
 
“Oohh goodie!” Carol exclaimed. “I'll be there in a moment, Biks. Just let me finish here.”
 
“Hurry!” Bikky yelled, then grinned up at Dee. “This is gonna be so cool.”
 
Dee ruffled his hair. “Yeah, it is, huh? C'mon sport and let's get this show on the road.”
 
“You got your ring?”
 
“Of course.” Dee held out his hand. “What did you think? I've been aching to put it on all night, but we decided best for us to wait until now.”
 
Bikky grinned again, grabbing Dee by his arm and pulling him toward the dining room. “Let's go and have some real fun now. I'll bet Ted's reaction is going to be pretty funny.”
 
Dee laughed, allowing himself to be pulled by Bikky.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
 
A/N: Okay, I didn't get the party done by midnight, but one more chapter for the party and I'll have it tomorrow (later today?... whatever). Everything for “The Unexpected I” had been already written. I just needed to read it over and edit before posting. Currently I'm working on Chapter 10 of “The Unexpected II “ which cronicles Dee's 2nd trimester.