Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Valentine's Day Psychology (Series: Multiple Psychology) ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own FAKE or Sanami Matoh's wonderful characters.

Rating: NC-17 OT+16 (Yaoi, Multiple Partners)
Pairings: Various Pairings of Dee, Ryo, Berkley, J.J.
Timeframe: 1998, approximately 6 months after the end of Volume 7
Series: Multiple Psychology

Summary: Berkley Rose calls in a psychologist to help with some of the interpersonal conflicts around the precinct. In doing so, he gets himself and his detectives involved in a crazy experiment cooked up by a somewhat sadistic lady Doctor. Strangely enough, it all pays off for them when Valentine's Day turns into something far more than a day for treats and sweethearts.
 
 
 
Title: Valentine's Day Psychology
Author: Mori Ryoshi
 
 
Chapter 2
 
12-February-1998 - 01:00
 
“Ryo! Aren't you enjoying yourself?” J.J. bounced back to where the chestnut-haired man was standing staring into space.
 
“Huh?” Ryo shook his head. “I am enjoying myself. I just can't shake the feeling that something's wrong…or that something's happened. Maybe you should call Drake and see if there's a problem.” He didn't want to call Dee and make him think that he didn't trust his partner.
 
“If there was something wrong, Drake would have called me. I've told you that. Now enjoy yourself,” J.J. tried to look irritated, “Or I'll tell that doctor that you didn't do your part.”
 
Ryo laughed softly, “You're right, J.J.; I don't need to worry. Dee is going to be just fine and he's not going to kill the commissioner.” He glanced around the third floor of the gallery. “Anyway, why aren't your pictures hanging in here? Your stuff is far better than most of this.” The room they were in was dedicated to high-end photography. The subjects ranged from portraits to landscapes and back again. Most were in black-and-white; but there were a few in color.
 
“I'm not good enough to display on this level,” J.J. said with a faint blush. “One day I hope to be.”
 
Ryo shook his head at the back of the lavender-haired man's head and whispered, “In my opinion, your work is better than any of these.”
 
The two men slowly moved around the almost empty gallery. They would stop at some of the more interesting photos and discuss them. One in particular drew in both their eyes…it was dated 1985; the photographer was listed as B. Rose and for the time its subject matter would have been seen as scandalous. It showed three men dancing…they wore tights but nothing was left to the imagination. The men were extremely well built and evidently flexible. Even in the still photo, there was a sense of movement and you expected the men to dance right out of the frame.
 
“For a moment, I thought B. Rose was the commissioner,” Ryo commented with a soft laugh.
 
“So did I,” J.J. said with more than a little wonder, “I've never heard of that photographer before. Brandon Rose.”
 
“That's probably because he's better known for his paintings, both oil and acrylics,” The gallery owner said from a little behind them. “Brandon Rose was killed in a car accident in 1985. His photography was in its infancy and his son submitted that picture to our Manhattan gallery after he had it developed. His death was a great loss to the art community, at least in my opinion. We still have a few of his oils on display on the first floor and one acrylic and one experimental watercolor on the second. If you're interested in them, I can show them to you.”
 
“Not right now, we're going to finish checking this floor. Thank you for the offer,” Ryo said politely. He was interested in seeing the other works; but also wanted to finish investigating this floor. The more he was seeing, the more convinced he was that J.J.'s work should be on display here…his photography was just that good.”
 
The two detectives continued looking around and finally decided to check the other floors. J.J. wasn't as well versed in art forms other than photography…while Ryo knew oils and acrylics. He'd never gotten into watercolors feeling that the medium left too much confusion in the colors and lines. While on the top floor, J.J. had been the one with the frame of reference for interpreting the quality of the pictures. The other floors gave Ryo the chance to shine.
 
The works by B. Rose impressed them…the prices attached to them blew them away. “His photograph must not have been for sale. There wasn't a price listed.” J.J. looked over the watercolor and acrylic and shook his head. “His work is beautiful, it has the same quality as his photo; but is anything worth those amounts?”
 
“The painter's dead so no more can be made. Anyway for the size of these canvases, these prices are pretty reasonable.”
 
“Reasonable? You call ten thousand dollars reasonable?” J.J.'s eyes were the size of saucers.
 
Ryo simply nodded his brow a little furrowed. “I would swear that I've seen his work before.” He shook his head before continuing, “Let's check out the first floor. I've always loved oils.”
 
“Okay,” J.J. still couldn't believe how calmly Ryo had accepted the prices on the paintings. The lavender-haired detective had come from old money and he knew that Ryo's family hadn't been poor; but ten thousand dollars was still a lot of money in his eyes. It made him wonder just how well to do Ryo's family had been. Another question occurred to him, “Why do you know so much about art?”
 
“My parents were art dealers. They usually specialized in the European market; but every once in a while they would handle works from the U.S., Asia, and even Australia. I grew up with it.” Ryo paused remembering his parents' attempts to teach him about art…to appreciate it. Now he thought, “What I wouldn't do to have studied their lessons. To have learned more.
 
~~~~~
 
Back at the station, Rose and Dee exited the stairwell to the garage. The taller man was still a little unsteady on his feet as they moved to his Mercedes. He hit the alarm button before leaning on the roof of the car and looking around for Dee's beat up jalopy. “You didn't drive today?”
 
Dee shook his head, “Ryo did. He was taking J.J. out for lunch.”
 
Rose swallowed hard several times and glanced around the garage again. In a voice, just above a whisper, he asked, “Would you be willing to drive? I don't think I'm up to it.” He looked embarrassed and wore a slight blush. He immediately stood back from the car and stared at the concrete floor.
 
“I'm sorry. I should have realized that you wouldn't be in any condition to drive. If you'd rather me not drive your car,” Dee couldn't believe he was going to pass up a chance to drive a Mercedes, “We could take a cab.”
 
Rose lifted his eyes at the other man's words. “I don't mind if you drive my car.”
 
The raven-haired detective moved around the vehicle and held his hand out. Rose handed him the keys. “Thank you, Dee.” The commissioner walked around the vehicle and climbed in. Dee looked like a kid in a candy store as he adjusted the seat and mirrors so they were perfect. Rose couldn't help smiling to himself as the image of the young child behind Dee's bravado came to his mind.
 
“I'm going to double-check,” Dee whispered, “One last time. It's all right that I drive your car?”
 
Rose sat back and closed his eyes, “Yes. It's all right.”
 
“Cool.” Dee couldn't resist wiggling his eyebrows at the Mercedes before putting it in reverse. The power was evident as the car almost jumped backward.
 
“Gently, Dee,” Berkley said quietly, his eyes still closed. “She's very responsive. Treat her like you would your most precious lover and she'll take care of you.” Rose thought with a smile, “He's trying to drive her the way I did when I bought my first Mercedes. Wild and crazy, well, he'll learn to be gentle and loving.
 
Shit! Now this is a car.” Dee was almost drooling over the power he could feel through the steering wheel. “This is sweet! What was it he said, `precious lover?' I can do that. If Ryo were a car, he'd definitely be a Mercedes…or a Lamborghini. Maybe a BMW?” He paused at the thought. “Nah! A Beemer is too yuppyish. Ryo isn't a yuppie.
 
Berkley settled back for the drive to Chinatown. He could feel the response of the car and knew that Dee was being careful in his driving. With each mile, the driver and car were meshing more and more…the ride becoming increasingly comfortable. “Dee's actually a very good driver. He's just a little wild at times.” Rose smiled inside, “Another way that we're alike. I was that way not that long ago. What made me so old?” He opened his eyes and watched the buildings flash by. His thoughts were beginning to depress him, because he was well aware of what had made him grow old so fast. When Dee stopped for a red light, a woman with two small children caught his eye. The children were quite evidently twins; their hair and clothes were identical. One seemed happy and content to hold his mother's hand and wait for the light. The other was anxiously pulling in an effort to make her move. He smiled at the contrast before leaning back and closing his eyes again.
 
Dee drove careful through the streets of New York. He avoided taxis and drivers who looked ready to blow their fuse any minute. The Mercedes closed out the noise and dirt that hung over the city. At a red light, he stole a quick glance at his passenger and noticed Rose studying a mother and her children. “I wonder if he ever wanted kids? He seems interested in them.” Another glance at the man's face, revealed the deep sadness hidden behind his carefully controlled façade. “The elevator took a lot out of him. He still doesn't look very good.” The light changed and he continued heading to Chinatown.
 
In the parking lot of The Chinese Rose, Dee carefully parked the Mercedes in one of the furthest parking spaces. There were no vehicles near it, so he figured that no one would hit it. “We're here,” He said to Rose who appeared to be asleep. With a gentle touch, Dee shook the older man's shoulder and was startled by the panicked look in the other man's eyes when they snapped open. “It's all right. We're at the restaurant.”
 
Rose took several deep breaths and tried to regain his composure. “I'm sorry. I must have drifted off to sleep.”
 
“You were stressed out,” Dee said, justifying the commissioner's brief rest. “That panic attack must have taken a lot out of you. I know that my own fear leaves me feeling exhausted.”
 
Berkley nodded in agreement. “I usually sleep after an attack. They leave me drained physically and mentally.”
 
“I guess today wasn't the day for you to have to deal with a panic attack. It's stressful enough dealing with me,” Dee said before he could stop the words.
 
“Strangely enough, you're the only thing that I haven't found stressful today.” He revised his statement, “At first, I was stressed about it. However, I hate to say it; but I've discovered that I enjoy your company.”
 
“Really,” Dee stopped and thought for a moment and realized that he'd enjoyed the commissioner's company as well and told him as much. He continued, “I was ready to quit last night just so I wouldn't have to deal with you today. I'd have come in tomorrow and begged for my job back…but, I had felt that it would have been worth it. Now, I'm glad that I decided to at least give it a try.” He smiled and gave a surprised laugh, “I don't think we'll ever be best friends; but maybe we don't have to be enemies.”
 
The commissioner sat and stared at the raven-haired man in amazement. “I think you're right. Best friends,” He shook his head. “But I can deal with us not being enemies.” He decided to focus on the largest splinter that stood between them. “Ryo.”
 
“What about him?”
 
“He's yours you know.”
 
Dee nodded, “Yeah. I know. I love him and he loves me.”
 
“Do you know why I continue watching him?” He felt anger radiate from the raven-haired man. “And why I watch you?”
 
The anger dissolved instantly, “You watch both of us?” Rose nodded. “Why?”
 
Berkley looked out the windshield and forced his emotions to stay under control. “I would love to have what you have. I want someone who loves me with all his, or her, heart and soul; someone I can wake up to in the morning and fall asleep next to each night. It's not about lust…it's more than that. I want the relationship.” Rose looked back at the detective, “Do you understand that? Can you understand that?”
 
Dee nodded as he bit his lip. He understood completely. Berkley had just described what he had been looking for when he'd met Ryo. His chestnut-haired partner had given him everything that he'd always wanted. “I understand. I understand completely, Berkley,” Dee realized that it no longer felt strange to call the commissioner by his first name. It felt natural. “So many small changes in such a short time. Maybe this day wasn't such a bad idea after all.” He reached out with his right hand and touched Rose's shoulder, “One day you'll find everything you're looking for. Really you will.”
 
Rose dropped his eyes and for a moment, he looked far older than he was. In the softest of whispers he said, “I hope so.” When he met Dee's eyes again, his own were bright with a trace of tears.
 
Again confused by the older man's emotions, Dee suggested, “Let's get lunch and then we'll walk around Chinatown.”
 
Rose nodded before climbing out the car. He looked tired as the two men headed for the restaurant. “I need to do something special for dinner tonight. Something to say, `Thank you.'” Berkley thought. “Dee has been here for me today.
 
~~~~~
 
It seemed as if in no time at all the four men met back at the precinct. Dee had just parked Rose's Mercedes when Ryo and J.J. pulled in behind them. Berkley and Dee stood and waited for the other two men and the four headed into the precinct together.
 
Ryo and J.J. were still discussing the art gallery and if the lavender-haired detective should submit some of his work to the owner for consideration. When they reached the elevators, Dee noticed Berkley's almost panicked look. “Hey, guys. How about we walk up? We had a huge lunch and need to work it off.”
 
Ryo looked confused because he knew Dee never chose to take the stairs. “Maybe some of Rose's conscientiousness has rubbed off on him.” “Okay, Dee.”
 
The four men headed for the stairwell and started the eight-story climb. At the landing, Berkley excused himself saying that he wanted to go to the roof just to look over the city. The building wasn't very tall; but it did afford a nice view of the surrounding community. He started climbing toward the roof as the other three men stepped into homicide.
 
J.J. glomped Ryo; then rushed off for his office. He wanted to see if Drake had enjoyed his lunch. The other two men walked to their own office.
 
“Okay, Dee,” Ryo started as soon as they were inside the office. “What's the deal? I know you never take the stairs if you don't have too. Plus, why were you driving Rose's car?”
 
“I ate a large lunch,” Which was the truth…not the whole truth. “Berkley and I were talking about how important keeping in shape is for police officers. He's thinking about starting a new program here and adding more equipment for the weight room.” Again, he was telling the truth. “Did you know that he still follows the academy physical training routine on a daily basis? That's why he's in such good shape when he's called into the field.”
 
Ryo hung up his coat and the sat down in his chair. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Dee had actually learned something about the commissioner and it didn't sound as if they hated each other any more. “They talked about business mostly, from what I can tell. But it is a start,” Ryo thought.
 
“On why I was driving his car,” Dee had to think of a good excuse for this one, “He didn't feel like driving.” “Shit! Ryo is never going to believe that one. I got it!” Dee plastered on a lop-sided grin, “That's not true. I begged him to let me drive.” The raven-haired detective said in a childish voice, “Daddy? May I drive the pretty car?”
 
Ryo laughed at Dee's imitation. He could see his lover asking just that. “You're incorrigible, Dee.”
 
Dee breathed a sigh of relief; he'd gotten out of that one.
 
The two men continued to discuss how their afternoons had gone and discovered that both of them had developed a much greater respect for the men they were paired with. Dee carefully avoided revealing Berkley's secret and was happy that it seemed that J.J. and Drake were on their way to becoming a couple, at least in Ryo's eyes. “If they don't get together, we could always pair J.J. up with Berkley.” Dee said it in jest; but realized that the little detective would probably fit Berkley's wish perfectly. “J.J. does tend to love with all his heart and soul.
 
“Well, I think Drake has his eyes set on J.J., and J.J. seems to care deeply for him. It's just a matter of time before the two of them get together.” Ryo had seen the way the two men had looked at each other. He also had the feeling that J.J. was beginning to realize how much Drake cared about him. That morning, the older detective had been so supportive, urging J.J. to have a good time and not to worry. The same could be said for J.J., who'd kept checking his phone and beeper watching for the slightest hint of his partner's need.
 
“They're made for each other, that's for sure.” No sooner were the words out of Dee's mouth that they heard Drake screaming obscenities from across the precinct.
 
“Nani?” Ryo asked as he and Dee looked at each other in confusion.
 
“I have no idea.”
 
The two men stood up and peeked out their door. They were just in time to see Drake stomping out of homicide, not even bothering with the elevator, instead just heading down the stairs. J.J. was standing forlorn in their office doorway. He spared a glance around the room before sulking back inside and closing the door.
 
Ryo and Dee looked at each other again before Ryo asked, “What just happened?”
 
“We were too late for the fireworks.”
 
Ted walked up and leaned against the wall outside their door. “J.J. just told Drake that he liked you.”
 
Dee spoke up, “He already knew that.”
 
The red head snorted, “Not you, idiot. Ryo. He told Drake that he liked Ryo.”
 
“Ryo? Are you alright?” Dee asked, as his partner seemed to sway on his feet almost falling over. “Ryo?”
 
“I'm just fine. I didn't mean for anything like this to happen.” Ryo looked mortified…he couldn't believe what had happened.
 
“Don't worry, Ryo. Everybody loves you.” Ted thought for a moment before continuing, “Plus, I don't think he meant that he liked you in a romantic way…just like friends. You know?” He paused, “Yeah. You know.”
 
“I'm going to go talk to him,” Ryo forced himself to stand up and at least project an air of calm. “He needs to go after Drake. They can't be apart.”
 
“Good luck, Ryo,” Dee patted his lover on the back and watched as he walked across the main floor.
 
“What's the deal with all of you today? Everyone's wondering what's going to happen next.” Ted continued, “This morning J.J. pounces on Ryo instead of you. You spend time in the bastard's office and there's no screaming. Riz and Jonathan making out every time they meet.”
 
“He's not a bastard,” Dee corrected.
 
Ted's eyebrows disappeared. “Yeah, right. You're the one who's always called him a bastard.”
 
“Well, he's not. Okay.”
 
“Okay.” He said even more confused than when he'd started, “I think I've heard everything.” Ted got ready to leave when Rose stepped onto the homicide floor. “Maybe I should ask him?”
 
Berkley made a beeline to where Dee was standing and spared Ted a quickly glance before asking Dee, “Could we speak? Privately?”
 
Dee nodded as he removed his coat and tossed it back into his office. The two men headed to the commissioner's office, leaving a stunned detective still leaning against the wall next to Dee and Ryo's office.
 
Inside the office, Berkley removed his coat and carefully hung it up before turning to the other man. He'd thought about this on the roof; but now that Dee was here, he wasn't sure how to proceed.
 
“Berkley, whatever it is, it will only get worse the longer you wait.” Dee was beginning to wonder exactly what this was about.
 
Rose felt very uncomfortable and was having difficulty focusing on his question.
 
“Berkley.” The detective was beginning to feel concerned. The older man was as unresponsive now as he had been in the elevator during his panic attack. Thinking that, he studied the man's expression. “He's apprehensive, maybe a little afraid, but mostly he looks confused and uncomfortable.” “Berkley?” He tried again.
 
Again getting no response, he walked over to the commissioner and turned his head so he looked him in the eyes. That broke whatever dam was holding the other man back. Berkley moved so quickly that Dee didn't realize what was happening. The raven-haired detective found himself crushed against the older man in a powerful hug. A second later, he felt a gentle lick against his lower lip and parted them slightly; the blond-haired man took the invitation and began giving the younger man a deep, passionate kiss. Dee shivered as Rose's tongue caressed his lips before searching out his tongue for a gentle duel. He realized that he was the one being kissed; but he was still the one in control. The older man was handing himself over and leaving himself vulnerable. He shivered because of the similarities between Rose's kiss and Ryo's.
 
When the kiss broke, Rose pulled away and a soft blush covered his face. “I'm sorry.”
 
Dee couldn't believe how vulnerable the usually powerful, arrogant man appeared. “Don't be,” He couldn't believe that he'd just said that. “What the hell am I doing? What would Ryo think? I'm cheating on him with a man that I used to hate.
 
“No, I am sorry. I shouldn't have done that.” Rose stepped away and for a moment, Dee felt chilled by the loss of the other man's warmth. The blond-haired commissioner went behind his desk and sat in his chair heavily. “Really, Dee, I should not have done that.” He repeated. “I don't know why I did.”
 
Dee sat in one of the chairs in front of the large cherry desk. “Sir, Berkley,” Dee paused searching for the right words. “I think I know why you did.” The older man's eyes rose to meet the detective's rich green ones. “You said it earlier in the car. `You want the relationship.' I can understand that; but you need to find the person who's right for you.” The raven-haired detective almost felt sorry for the other man. “He's lonely,” He realized with a start. “He's so lonely that he's willing to be hurt, just to feel cared for if even for a short time.
 
Rose nodded, “We're going to World View tonight. Afterward, I was going to take you to a new club opening in the district. I'll understand if you don't want to go.”
 
“Club?” Dee said excitedly. There was only one new club that he knew was opening…and the passes for the grand opening were so difficult to get that he couldn't even find any with the scalpers. If Rose had passes for tonight's exclusive, member's only night, he had to know some serious players. “Are you talking about Club Matrix?”
 
“Yeah. The owner's a friend of mine.”
 
“I'd be crazy to pass up a chance like this,” Dee smiled happily. Club Matrix was supposed to be a Euro-style dance club specializing in techno/rave type music. It's specialty drink menu was also supposed to be totally non-alcoholic even though the advertisements all said you'd still get a natural high. He'd been trying to get passes for Ryo and him to go for three months…only to be told that there was no way anyone would part with their passes for any amount of money. Hell, the place was sold out for the next two months.
 
“Then you should think about leaving pretty soon. I hope you have something appropriate in your wardrobe. This is not a black-tie affair and at least the club won't be someplace you want to wear a suit and tie. Bring your club clothes and you can change at my place, after we eat.” Rose was surprised that Dee was still willing to go with him tonight. He still couldn't believe that he'd kissed the detective…that had not been his original intention. He'd just wanted to find out if Dee was interested in the club. “Do you think we should invite Ryo and J.J.?” Berkley's voice sounded small and subdued.
 
Dee recognized that Rose was offering a chance to back out of this, at least partially. He saw the vulnerability in Rose's eyes. “They have plans, tickets to a Japanese cultural exhibit at the Met.” He couldn't be too nice, “If they didn't have plans, I'd say to invite them. I'm certain both of them would love to check out Club Matrix.”
 
Rose smiled, “I'm sure they would. I'll introduce you to Shay Phillips tonight. Maybe he can give you passes to the grand opening next Friday night and you can take Ryo.”
 
“I'd like that,” Dee smiled back. “Regardless, perhaps I should check on Ryo. J.J. and Drake had a fight and he went to see if he could help. I'm sure he's taken more weight onto his shoulders. But I love that about him.”
 
“Do that,” Rose looked tired, “I'll pick you up around six, our dinner reservations are for seven.”
 
“I'll be ready,” The raven-haired detective headed out the door and went back to his office. His partner wasn't back yet, so he sat down and began working on a report. It was almost four-thirty and he hoped the wine he'd ordered got there soon. “I wonder if I should take wine if Berkley's driving?
 
He shook his head and refocused on his report.
 
Almost half an hour later, Ryo returned and immediately sagged into his desk chair. His silence was depressing in Dee's opinion. “You weren't able to get him to go after Drake?” He already knew the answer; but wanted to make sure. “Why wouldn't J.J. go after his partner? Couldn't he see what was so clear to everybody else?
 
Ryo shook his head before dropping it into his folded arms. Into his desk, he said, “I can't understand it, Dee. Why doesn't he see it?” He propped his chin on his hands and looked at his dark-haired partner, “He cares about Drake; but only as a partner and friend. He doesn't even see him in the same way. Poor Drake.”
 
Dee sighed, “You can't fix everything. All you can do is try to get them back together. I'll help all I can.”
 
“Thanks,” Ryo reburied his head in his arms.
 
“Are the two of you still on for the night?” Dee was curious…if they weren't, maybe he could still talk Berkley into taking Ryo.
 
Ryo sat up, “Yeah. He's really looking forward to the exhibit tonight. Did you know that he's a member of the Met? That's the only reason he was able to get passes since this is opening night.” The chestnut-haired man sat up straighter and a slightly panicked look crossed his face, “I have to find my tux. This is a suave affair.” He looked just a bit nervous. “It's been a long time since I've been to an opening night at the Met. The last time was with my parents.”
 
“Are you going to be all right?” Dee asked concerned over the sadness that had crept into Ryo's voice.
 
“Yeah. I'll be all right.” He paused for a moment, “Have you found out what you're doing tonight?”
 
“Rose is taking me to World View for dinner,” Ryo nodded in approval. He could easily see the commissioner enjoying a fine meal there. Dee continued, “Then he's taking me to the member's only opening at Club Matrix.”
 
“Nani!?” Ryo looked shocked, “How was he able to get the passes? You've been trying to get them for months now.”
 
“He's friends with the owner.” Dee said simply.
 
“Wow,” Ryo was impressed. “You're going to have a great time. You love that type of music and were wanting to see what the club was going to be like.”
 
“It won't be the same without you,” The raven-haired man whispered.
 
“Just try to enjoy yourself, Koibito,” Ryo smiled widely. A knock at the door stopped the rest of their conversation. “It's four-thirty…that must be the wine you ordered.”
 
Dee stood to open the door and was confronted with a grungy street urchin. “You Dee Later?”
 
“Dee Laytner,” He corrected. “And, yes I am.”
 
“Gotta delivery fo ya.” The kid held out a beautifully wrapped box that was thankfully not leaking. “Gotta sign.” He almost tossed the pad and pen at the detective. After looking over Dee's signature, he grinned and finished with, “Guaranteed delivery. You need it! You get it! On time! Every time!” He turned and rushed off.
 
Probably rushing off to find his next pocket to pick,” With that thought, Dee double-checked all his pockets. He grinned when he found everything in their places. He took the box into the office and set it carefully on his desk. “How do you like that? A hundred and twenty-five dollar bottle of wine and they entrust it to someone from a street gang.”
 
“That's unfair, Dee,” Ryo shook his head. Sometimes Dee's intolerance bothered him especially since he'd grown up in a similar manner and had turned out wonderfully…a little rough around the edges; but wonderful none-the-less. “He's at least working which is more than I can say for most kids his age.”
 
“But the way he was dressed,” It was Dee's turn to shake his head.
 
Ryo shrugged. “Are you ready to head home? J.J.'s going to pick me up around six-thirty and I want to get cleaned up. I've also got to iron my tux and find the shirt.”
 
“Yeah. I should get going. Rose has dinner reservations for seven so he's picking me up at six.” Dee sniffed at his armpits and his hand after running it through his hair, “I smell like lunch. Do you think it's all right to go to World View smelling like General Tso's Chicken?”
 
“Take a shower, Dee,” Ryo had to laugh at his partner, “It won't kill you.”
 
“All right,” He pouted at his lover and laughed when he didn't get a response, “You know me too well.”
 
“Yes, I do.”
 
~~~~~
 
“Finished at last,” Berkley slipped the last piece of paperwork into the file. “Everything's complete. I'll call and confirm the tickets and reservations at home.” He was surprised at the combination of sadness and pleasure he was feeling. He knew that Dee couldn't one up this surprise and it was something he could do for both detectives… the one he could easily fall in love with and the one that had some how managed to capture his heart. They were perfect for each other and all he could do was look on. Hoping that one-day, he could find the joy and contentment that they had.
 
The older man messaged the front desk that he had an immediate pickup for paperwork and that the file would be in his personal box. After hanging up, he stood and reached outside his door to place one copy of the file in his mailbox and retired back inside the office. He sat down at his desk and took a sip of his tea. “I'll get through tonight,” He reassured himself. “I will.”
 
He finished his tea and quickly rinsed the mug out in the kitchenette before pulling on his coat. He started to place the other copy of the file in his briefcase then thought better of it. Instead, he pulled a large manila envelope out of the bottom drawer of his desk and slipped the file's contents inside. He dropped his briefcase back on the credenza and left with the envelope.
 
He walked down the stairs and entered the garage in time to see Ryo and Dee leaving. Within minutes, he was in his own car and on his own way home.
 
~~~~~
 
Dee was nervously adjusting his tie for what seemed to be the hundredth time. “Stop fidgeting, Dee,” Ryo growled as his own tie wouldn't stay straight. “You look perfect. Geez, you'd think that you were a girl getting ready to go to the prom the way you're primping. Do you do that for our dates?”
 
“Yeah. I do.” Dee blushed at his memories, “In fact, I'm worse for our dates.” He sat down to watch Ryo fight with his tie. “Do you remember when I took you dancing at The Firehouse?” Ryo nodded. “I was ready three hours before you were supposed to pick me up. I'd changed clothes five or six times and had even asked Ms. Price, the old lady down the hall, if I looked all right. She looked at me like I was nuts.”
 
Ryo glanced at Dee's reflection in the mirror, “So you're not nervous about your date with the commissioner?”
 
Dee thought about that for a minute. “In a way, I am. I thought this was a stupid exercise, that it would be a waste of time; but it's been a good experience. I have learned a lot about Berkley and I don't hate him anymore. We're never going to be best buddies; but we're not going to try killing each other any more.” He saw the approval in Ryo's eyes.
 
The chestnut-haired man turned, his tie now straight, and smiled widely. “I think that's what the doctor was wanting to accomplish. It was a weird way to go about it; but I think it's worked.”
 
“It has.”
 
Ryo sat down on the edge of the bed and leaned toward his lover. He was careful with the seams in his pants; he didn't want to have to iron the damn things again. “What have you learned about Rose today? Why don't you hate him anymore?”
 
“I know why he watches us.”
 
“Watches us?” Ryo queried.
 
Dee nodded, “He doesn't only watch you, Ryo. He watches me too…although because of my fixation, I only notice it when he's looking at you.” Dee swallowed hard. “He's lonely and wants what we have.”
 
“I thought he only wanted in my pants.”
 
“No,” Dee's green eyes flashed with sadness for a moment, “It might have been about that at first. Just as it was with me, but it grew into something more for both him and me. We were searching for love. In Berkley's words, `I want someone who loves me with all his, or her, heart and soul; someone I can wake up to in the morning and fall asleep next to each night.' I think I remembered it right. When he told me that, I couldn't help but think that he's looking for the same thing I was when I found you.”
 
“You care about him now. He's someone you would do things for.” Ryo stated.
 
“Yeah, I think I would. It's weird,” Dee sighed, “I went into this expecting the worst. Instead, I found another friend.”
 
“I'm happy for you, Dee.” Ryo moved from the bed and sat on Dee's lap, “I'm glad we don't have to worry about messing up make-up the way women would.” Then he leaned into his partner and planted a deep kiss on his lips. When he pulled away, he was blushing slightly.
 
“Berkley blushes, too,” Dee said without thinking. He caught himself after the words had escaped. “Oh, Shit! I'm going to be sleeping on the couch for a year.
 
Ryo quirked an eyebrow, “How would you know that?”
 
“I kissed him and he kissed me,” Dee whispered.
 
“Why?” Ryo's voice was soft and his lover couldn't tell if he was angry or not.
 
“When I kissed him, I was trying to replace him with you. So, I gave him a kiss like the one you collapsed for.”
 
Ryo had to laugh softly at that thought. “Rose must have tried to wring your neck.”
 
Dee shook his head, “No, he didn't. He sagged down the wall and sat on his ass just like you did that first time. It was hysterical. In fact, I couldn't believe how he reacted.” Ryo indicated for him to continue. “The second time, when he kissed me…it was strange. It was as if he never expected, and didn't want, to kiss me. He had been staring into space and I went over to him…I was worried. When he snapped out of the stare, he grabbed me and hugged me tight,” Dee's own arms held his partner close, “Before I realized what was happening, he was kissing me. He felt so lonely.” Dee laid his head against his lover's shoulder and pulled him even tighter. “He felt like I did before I met you.”
 
“The two of you really touched each other's lives,” Ryo hugged Dee back and laid his head against the raven hair. “I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with how you went about it; but I'm proud that you were able to do it.”
 
“Ryo?” Ryo nodded against Dee's head, “I felt so guilty, like I'd cheated on you. The strangest part was that I realized that Berkley was a man that I used to hate. I no longer hated him.” Dee snuggled against his partner's shoulder, “I wish there was something we could do for him.”
 
“I'd like to do something for J.J. as well.”
 
“Let's have them over,” Dee pulled back and looked at Ryo's face. “We can play matchmaker.”
 
“I don't know, Dee. I'd like to see J.J. get back together with Drake.”
 
“Well,” Dee dropped his eyes and looked at the floor. “It was a thought.” He closed his eyes and snuggled back into Ryo's shoulder. “I understand what he's going through. We're not that different, he and I.”
 
“I know,” Ryo whispered. “If we were to invited them, what would you suggest?”
 
“I'm not sure yet.” The two men giggled over that.
 
Ryo stood to finish getting ready. Dee left the bedroom to wait in the living room. Bikky was staying with Rai until Monday since he was studying for some standardized test he had to take at school. Without Ryo's son as a distraction, Dee wasn't sure what to do with himself. He didn't feel like playing a video game and there was nothing on television.
 
At six, sharp, Berkley Rose rapped on the front door. Dee stood to let him in and gave him a brief tour of the apartment. The older man gave Ryo an approving glance; but this time it didn't bother Dee; he understood the other's motives. When the two men left, they both wished Ryo a good evening with J.J.. Dee carried a large duffle bag that held his club clothes, the bottle of wine, and everything he'd need to change from the `clean-cut' professional look he was wearing to that of techno-rocker/Euro-punk.
 
~~~~~
 
Ryo sat on the sofa and thought about what Dee had said before he'd left. “Maybe Dee's right. We should try pairing J.J. and Berkley up.” He couldn't see the two as a couple. “As a one night stand, maybe.”
 
His thoughts were traveling at light speed as he thought about how differently Dee had sounded concerning Rose tonight. “He's really starting to develop an affection for the commissioner. I wonder exactly what he would want to happen if we invited them over. Dee talked about the commissioner being lonely. I know that J.J.'s lonely. Would it be enough to just put them in the same room and see what happened?
 
Ryo shook his head and sighed, “What about today? Ted was wrong. J.J. didn't say he liked me in a friend way. He was seriously thinking about me in a romantic sense. Why J.J., did you have to change like that? Why would you want me when you know that I'm already taken? I like you as a friend, but only as a friend. What would solve this?” Ryo shook his head as the questions just kept piling up. “This experiment was both a good thing and a bad thing. We do understand each other; but we're more entangled than ever.”
 
The clock chimed the half hour and Ryo made an effort to still his thoughts. Drawing on his martial arts training, he performed some centering breathing exercises and rolled his shoulders to release some of the tension. He felt the precise second when his mind emptied and his body became clear. A wonderful sense of peace flowed through his body and he understood exactly what he needed to do, for Dee, for J.J., and for the commissioner. He opened his eyes and took a deep breath. “This is going to be an exciting Valentine's Day.” A broad smile crossed his face as J.J. knocked on the door.
 
Ryo opened the door and smiled at his date for the night. “Oyasuminasai, J.J.” He held the door open for the lavender-haired detective. “I just have to grab my coat and we can be off.”
 
“You look wonderful tonight, Ryo-Sempai,” J.J. gave him an appraising look. “Good enough to eat,” He said suggestively.
 
“We have reservations, J.J.; it wouldn't look good to be late.” Ryo pulled on his coat and slung a soft cashmere scarf into place. “Come here, J.J.” The smaller man stepped next to him and looked up quizzically. “Wear this tonight.” Ryo smiled as he carefully wrapped a black cashmere scarf around J.J.'s neck being especially careful to make sure the soft fabric brushed against the bare skin of his neck and even tickled one edge along his nose. “I understand that you love the feel of cashmere when it's cold outside.”
 
J.J. seemed to beam and snuggled into the soft scarf, “I do love it.” He breathed deeply and picked up Ryo's scent. “It smells like you.”
 
“It should. It's mine.”
 
“Thank you,” J.J.'s beam turned to a warm glow. “Let's get going. Dinner and then the Met,” He began to bounce with energy. “It's supposed to be a wonderful exhibit.”
 
The two men left and Ryo locked the door behind them. They chatted amicably all the way down to the lobby and eventually the car. “What would you like to listen to, Ryo?”
 
“How about classical music?” Ryo grinned, “It seems appropriate.”
 
“It's perfect,” J.J. turned on the radio and tapped one of the several classical radio stations he had programmed in. “They're supposed to have a Beethoven night tonight.”
 
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata filled the Dodge Neon's interior. The soft notes of the piano were soothing to their ears and painted pictures within their minds. They listened quietly as J.J. carefully navigated the city traffic.
 
~~~~~
 
“Reservation for Laytner and Rose,” Berkley told the maître d'.
 
Dee was surprised that the reservation was in both of their names. Rose noticed his expression and explained once they were seated, “In the event there's anyone here that would object to two men on a date, I set the reservation up in both our names. That way people will assume that we're here for a business meeting or are simply friends. The last time I ate here with a male friend, who was just that, a friend from university, we picked up a couple of stalkers. I didn't want the same thing to happen to us tonight.”
 
“I understand.”
 
The two men opened their menus and began looking over the various choices. Dee was amazed at how expensive everything was. He understood why he never ate in places like this…much preferring to buy three or four meals for the price of one appetizer.
 
Rose glanced up and saw Dee's dismayed expression. “Don't worry about the prices, Dee. This is my treat tonight,” He said discretely. The people who came here to eat weren't worried about money…all they cared about was if they were eating in the right place. “I recommend anything from the beef entrées or the chicken. Their crab, lobster, and shrimp are wonderful…avoid their fish. The breading they use is too heavy and distracts from the taste. I can't say anything about the pork entrées since I don't eat pork.” Rose watched as Dee checked each section as he addressed it. He seemed surprised at the older man's last statement.
 
“Are you Jewish? I think they're who don't eat pork.”
 
“No, I'm not. Pork just doesn't agree with my stomach. Because of that, I avoid it.” Rose explained looking back at his menu.
 
The waiter came over several minutes later. “Would you like wine with your meal tonight?”
 
Rose spared Dee a quick glance, “May we see a wine list? Regardless, I would like a Coke.” The waiter handed Rose a bound wine list that he proceeded to peruse.
 
After Dee had ordered a Coke and a water, the waiter turned back to Berkley. “Do you require more time?”
 
“No, we'll take a bottle of your house 1984.” The waiter nodded and left to fill their drink orders.
 
“Will you be all right driving?” Dee asked.
 
“I'll be fine.” Rose felt some of the day's tension leave him, “It's only a short drive to my house, a couple of blocks, and we won't be driving to the club.”
 
For a brief moment, pure terror coursed through Dee's body. He remembered earlier in the office how overpowering the man had been and was wondering if he'd lulled him into a false sense of complacency. “What have I gotten myself into?
 
Rose didn't notice Dee's terror and continued, “Mr. Phillips is sending over his limousine for us.”
 
“Huh?” Dee gasped, “Real good come back there, Dee. Geez, think you could have been any more intellectual?” “Oh, I would have assumed that you'd drive.”
 
Rose shook his head. “No. There will be drinks served and Shay will be insulted if I don't at least try something. He was more than happy to send the car over for us. In fact, he offered to pick us up here not realizing that we would have to change for the club. When I explained my reasons, he laughed and said he didn't care if we were the only two people who showed up in suits.”
 
“He sounds like a riot,” Dee grinned.
 
The waiter came back with their drinks and the chilled bottle of wine. He spread everything out before uncorking the bottle, handing it to Berkley who indicated that it was to be handed to Dee. Dee on the other hand wasn't completely sure what he was supposed to do with the cork and had a moment of anger. Rose brushed one hand against his nose and Dee assumed that indicated for him to smell the cork. “Damn if the cork smells this good, what's the wine going to taste like.” The waiter poured small amounts of the wine into two glasses and set them in front of each man. Dee followed Rose's lead in tasting it. “It's wonderful!” Dee thought. Rose gave some complicated description of the wine before pronouncing it acceptable and the waiter left.
 
Dee wondered why he didn't take their order; but Rose seemed undisturbed and continued with his story. “Shay's nuts. While we were still in school, he decided to play a trick on one of our professors. This instructor was a real pain in the ass and was failing Shay because he questioned everything he was being taught. Well, Shay was right. That ticked Mr. Webster off and he decided to pay his student back by failing him.” Rose laughed at the memory. “Shay had his own way of saying, `Paybacks are a bitch,'” Berkley ignored the nasty glances a couple of the closest patrons gave him over his language. He laughed again, “Well, Shay found out where Mr. High-and-Mighty Webster lived and discovered that he wasn't living with Mrs. High-and-Mighty Webster…instead, he was living with a cute little grad-student 40 years his junior.”
 
Rose took a sip of his wine before continuing, “For the next week, Shay documented their every movement and got some very interesting and compromising photographs…at the end of the week, he was able to sneak into the house and planted a video camera in the bedroom. I have no idea how he was able to hide it because this was before the miniaturized equipment was commonly available. He set it up with a motion sensor and to record to a VCR that he'd placed under the front porch.”
 
Dee had a feeling he knew where this was leading; but was entranced none-the-less.
 
“Shay would go over and change the tape around midnight and then pick the other up each morning.” Rose shook his head, “I wish I knew how he managed not to get caught. Well, about a week later, he decided that he should try to find out what was on the tapes.” Berkley chuckled before outright giggling a little, “When he started playing them back, he discovered that the pretty little grad-student wasn't a female; but was instead a guy.”
 
“Oh, Shit!” Dee laughed, “You're kidding? Neither of you had any idea?”
 
“No,” Rose tried catching his breath, “He called himself Kathy. He sounded like a girl, looked like a girl, and acted like a girl. I couldn't believe it. Remember that wasn't common when I attended college. Shay and I were freshmen. Neither of us come from the city; so we weren't expecting to see anything like that.”
 
“Was that your first exposure,” Dee cut himself off and lowered his voice. “Was that your first exposure to gay sex?”
 
“It was for Shay. He said it was the biggest turn-on he'd ever seen.”
 
When Rose didn't elaborate on his own experiences, Dee sensed there was something he wanted to keep hidden, “Was it a turn-on for you, too?” He figured that would be a safe question. “To tell you the truth, I've only seen a few films…nothing that wasn't staged. I'd love to get a tape with Ryo.”
 
“If you ever do, I'll pay you anything for a copy. Hell, who am I kidding, I'll give you my car.” Rose's moment of levity crashed in the next moment. “As to your other questions, it wasn't my first exposure to gay sex.” Rose paused and almost gulped his wine down before pouring another glass. “It was a turn-on; but I didn't admit it to Shay.” Rose clamed up as he realized that he shouldn't have told that particular story… it brought up too many memories that he never wanted to remember.
 
“Well, I hope Shay did something with the tapes,” Dee tried giving the older man an escape route. He saw the pained look that had crossed his face and had a suspicion what had happened to him in the past.
 
Rose latched on to the escape route and finished the story, “Yeah, he sent copies of the tape to Mrs. High-and-Mighty along with a note explaining why they had been taken. Mr. Webster was removed from the staff two days later.”
 
“Good,” Dee nodded happily, “No one needs to be taught by a teacher who would use a grad-student.”
 
“Or threaten to fail a student simply because they know the subject better than the instructor.” Rose agreed as he drank a good portion of his glass of wine.
 
A different waiter came back and asked for their order.
 
“Why don't you order for us, Berkley?” Dee pushed aside his menu and decided to trust the commissioner for the evening.
 
“All right,” Rose thought a minute before telling the waiter, “We'll each have the World Cut Steak - rare, with baked potato, butter & sour cream on the side, Caesar salad with the house dressing, and the mixed vegetables.”
 
“Very good, Sirs,” The waiter left to take their orders to the kitchen.
 
“Was that the most expensive thing on the menu?” Dee asked in shock.
 
“No,” Rose smiled, “The Lobster King Platter is more expensive and there are a few other beef entrées that are also higher priced. The World Cut is my personal favorite meal here.”
 
“Oh,” Dee wasn't sure what to say. Rose wasn't trying to impress him by ordering the most expensive dishes or trying to be overpowering. He was acting as if they had been friends for their entire lives. “It feels strange being treated as an equal by the commissioner,” Dee decided. “But strange in a good way.” “I'm surprised that you'd want to go to this type of club. You seem more the string quartet and opera type, than techno and rave.”
 
“There's a lot you don't know about me, Dee.” Rose smiled and refilled both their glasses. “I do tend to enjoy operatic and symphonic music; but I grew up in the sixties and seventies…it was impossible to not to be effected by the music and the societal changes of those times. You were born in what? 1970?”
 
“1969,” Dee corrected.
 
“Then you were influenced by some of the same things I was. The '70's were filled with rock-n-roll and drugs or else disco and dancing. There were songs promoting everything from the sixty's free love to Communism to anarchy and everything in between. It was an interesting age musically. Because of that influence, I appreciate a wide range of musical genres.” He gave Dee one of his lop-sided, somewhat evil gins, “If you had turned on the radio in the Mercedes this afternoon, you'd have probably been shocked that I had a rap CD playing. Tonight, I had a Grieg's Piano Concerto in G-Minor on because it seemed a suitable intro to tonight's dinner.”
 
“I hadn't thought about how music effects us. You're right,” Dee started, “Take Bikky, Ryo's son. He listens to predominantly heavy metal and rap music…because of that he talks the same way. It effects the way he dresses, acts, and even thinks, it seems.”
 
Rose was nodding.
 
“In the seventies, I remember trying to dress the way they did on Dance Party or whatever it was called. I wasn't into rock as much as I was into disco. I loved to dance; still do for that matter…the music just seemed to make you want to move your feet. Which were you? A head banger or disco fool?”
 
Berkley's face was slightly flushed, “I was both. I used to sneak out of the house to go to the underground club where I'd disco. On Friday nights, I'd skip the disco for this other club where garage bands played. It was nuts; but damn was it fun.” He finished his glass of wine and poured another one, “If you love to dance, you'll flip over this club. It has two dance floors. The lower one is a regular floor; the upper is clear Plexiglas. When you're dancing on the upper deck, you get the feeling that you're dancing on air. It's different.”
 
“Do you dance?” Dee thought back to the Christmas party, “I don't remember you dancing at the Christmas party.”
 
“I left early.” Rose said quietly.
 
“You shouldn't have. It was fun.” Dee pulled things back to a safer area of conversation. “What else can you tell me about the club?”
 
“It's huge. It's in a massive warehouse with an industrial look inside. It's all glass, steel, and sound. When I went to pick up the passes, they were testing the sound system and I thought my eardrums were going to burst. The acoustics are wonderful even with all those hard surfaces. It should sound even better once there are people in there.” Rose stopped as the waiter brought their salads.
 
“This looks wonderful,” Dee was already watering at the mouth. The lettuce looked crisp and the smell of the dressing was awesome.
 
The rest of their evening meal went very well. Dee scrupulously avoided anything that seemed to bring up bad memories in the other man and Rose made his partner for the evening feel as special as he could. They finished the first bottle of wine and started on a second. By the time they ordered dessert, both men were close to being drunk and were having a tendency to get loud at times.
 
Rose ordered strawberry cheesecake for both of them. Dee added a scoop of chocolate ice cream to his. When the beautifully decorated plates arrived, they looked too good to eat…almost. The waiter had also brought a large manila envelope that Rose carefully positioned next to his place setting. The two men dug into the scrumptious cake and quickly finished. When Dee sat back with a satisfied grin on his face, Berkley decided to spring his last surprise. “I have one other surprise for you tonight.”
 
Dee was immediately on edge. He really didn't like surprises, except from Ryo, of course.
 
“Don't worry. It's nothing bad. In fact, it's for both you and Ryo.” Rose reached for the envelope and handed it over to Dee. “Go ahead and open it.”
 
Dee looked at the envelope with a mixture of curiosity and fear. He wasn't sure what it could be and that bothered him. Finally, he opened the envelope and pulled out several documents all filled out in careful print that he recognized as Rose's. “What is this?” He asked as he began reading through the pages. The top two pages were requests for two weeks paid vacation; approved by Rose. One was for Dee, the other for Ryo. The next page was a travel itinerary, “To the Bahamas? What the Hell?” All the way in back, were two round-trip plane tickets from New York to the Bahamas with no travel date listed. “What is this?”
 
“They're good for whenever you and Ryo want to take your vacation.” Rose said simply. “If you were my sweet heart, I would do anything for you. Since you're my sweet heart for the day, I'm giving you something that I believe will make you happy, a `honeymoon' with your partner.”
 
Dee had no idea what to say. He opened his mouth and closed it looking strangely like a beached fish. “Berkley, I don't know what to say. This is too much.”
 
“No, it isn't.” Berkley looked at the table and toyed with the stem of his wine glass. “It's my way of saying, `thank you,' for all your help this afternoon.” He looked up and gave Dee one of his normal `sly fox' grins, “Anyway, that's something that you can't one-up me on.”
 
“Are you sure about this?” Dee couldn't believe what he held in his hands. He'd always wanted to go to the Caribbean and to get to take Ryo would be a dream come true. “You spent too much on these.”
 
“I spent very little. I've had left over bonus miles on my account for years. I just cashed them in,” He said it as if it wasn't a big deal. “Because of that, they didn't cost that much.”
 
“Damn,” Dee was shocked. “Thank you.”
 
“Let's get out of here and get ready to go to the club.”
 
Dee replaced the tickets and papers in the manila folder and stood back as Rose paid the bill. They picked up their coats at the coat-check and rode the elevator down to the garage. Within minutes they were on their way to Rose's house to change for the club.
Valentine's Day Psychology 1 Chapter 2