Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Thir13en Ghosts ❯ An Unexpected Visitor ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 13 Ghosts: A Report By Ansem

1st Ghost: Freddy Krueger

Biography: Also known as Fred Krueger, a child murderer who was thought to have been burned to death. It is said now that he often appears in the minds of young children, and kills them in their dreams. Victims have been known to have literally died in their sleep under unknown circumstances. Those who have claimed seeing him have described him as wearing a striped red/green sweater, having burned wrinkled skin and most alarmingly, bearing sharp claws as fingernails on his right hand.

2nd Ghost: Jason Voorhees

Biography: It is a mystery of why nobody was able to save Jason when he drowned in a lake. Nevertheless he survived and lived a reclusive life in the forest, killing those who trespassed in his property. Wearing a hockey mask to cover his deformed face and wielding a long machete, Jason has proved most unstoppable for those who have challenged him. People have fired multiple bullets in every part of his body, and Jason is said to be still walking. People have stabbed him, electrocuted him, and even tried to drown him. And every attempt has only failed.

3rd Ghost: Michael Myers

Biography: Michael is said to have murdered his own sister when he was only six years old. And even when given intensive mental therapy, the boy never uttered a single word…even to this day, he remains silent. Nobody knew why he did it, and nobody even knows why he exists. Some claim that he may be indeed the Devil incarnate. Though as he grew, Michael became more violent and began killing people mainly on Halloween night, wearing a white ghostly mask and occasionally holding a butcher knife. It is interesting to learn in my research that one person had once described Michael and I quote: "He is not human…he is evil."

4th Ghost: Pinhead

Biography: Perhaps the most feared out of the 13 Ghosts, and possibly the most powerful. There have been very few who have seen this ghost and lived to tell the tale…for many have had unfortunate fates with him. He is said to have come from a world where pain is treated as an eternal pleasure. Some sources believe that he may be immortal, but that has not been fully confirmed. For me, Pinhead has been the most fascinating ghost that I have studied. Despite his grotesque appearance that his name so suggests, it is said that none have been able to overpower him. Survivors from Pinhead had to merely escape him in order to survive…

5th Ghost: Chucky

Biography: A living doll that is said to be possessed by the spirit of a psychopathic murderer. Adults especially have fallen into his innocent yet deceitful appearance, and many have found it hard to believe. It is true that he may be small, but his speed and wits are major compensations for him. Chucky still seeks a living child that would be willing to trade bodies with him…and his search still continues.

6th Ghost: Jaws

Biography: A sea creature that is thought to be far superior to a Great White Shark, and far more dangerous. Confident fishermen hunting it have all apparently been eaten, and no man has ever been able to kill it, or even claim it. Those venturing out into the sea have always been warned about this ghost. Jaws is often known to be seen during night time, stalking its prey until its right moment comes. However, there have been few occasions when it had attacked during day. So it can be concluded that Jaws is not nocturnal.

7th Ghost: The Creeper

Biography: A winged demon that feeds on fear, and devours chosen organs from its victims he eats; whether it is their lungs, their eyes, or even their heart. It takes no shame, and never keeps his eyes away from his targets. The Creeper is also known to have the ability to regenerate any lost parts of his body within a short period of time.

8th Ghost: Leatherface

Biography: Abandoned by his family, due to his serious case of skin disease. Armed with a chainsaw and notorious for his distinct cackles, Leatherface is by far the most maniacal out of the 13 Ghosts. His name was inherited by his habit of taking the skin of his victims and assembling them together to make a facial mask.

9th Ghost: Count Dracula

Biography: Vlad Draculia was once a Romanian crusader from the late fifteenth century, fighting a long lasting war against the Turks. Returning to his homeland after the hard battles, he was grief-stricken when his wife was found dead, having committed suicide after believing her husband killed. Learning that his wife would not be sent to Heaven, due to her suicide, Vlad renounced God and swore to rise from his death to avenge hers. When Vlad died, his wish had indeed been granted. Thus he became Count Dracula. He now walks again, hungering for blood to keep his youth and stay alive.

10th Ghost: Imhotep

Biography: A high priest supposedly mummified, eaten by beetles and left to die inside his coffin when buried alive. After having broken the golden rule of placing hands onto the Egyptian princess of whom he loved, Imhotep was given the maximum penalty for his crime. Centuries later he was resurrected by foolish explorers…he continues to roam, consuming souls which he craves for.

11th Ghost: Evil Ash

Biography: His exact origin remains quite a mystery, though it is certain that he is related to the 'Necronomicon', or in translation, 'The Book of the Dead'. Once a proud leader of a skeletal army called the Army of Darkness during the Medieval times, Evil Ash had slain multiple armies including kingdoms' best trained knights.

12th Ghost: Sadako

Biography: Sadako was a confused young girl, who possessed incredible but uncontrollable psychic power. One of them was to actually will people to death. People who have been known to have provoked Sadako have simply died in disturbing manners, such as their heart simply stopping, their eyes wide open and their jaws locked. Unable to cope no more with the terrors his daughter had caused, Sadako's father threw her into a well, and sealed her inside forever, hoping she would die of starvation in there. Though surprisingly, it took many years until Sadako died. For the years she remained shuffling and crawling inside the well, she lived her life in total darkness, pleading for forgiveness and shouting for help…nobody came. It is for sure a tragic story, but many have taken no pity on this ghost after all the acts she had done.

13th Ghost: ???

Biography: Nobody is fully sure whether if there is in fact a 13th Ghost. Some think that there may be only twelve, but others consider otherwise. I have learned and read about facts that argue both for and against the existence of this mysterious ghost. Its name is surely not known, and it is uncertain whether this ghost has a physical form or not. A few believe that this ghost may in fact be both, for they believe that it is able to shift forms wherever and whenever it desires. Tales that have mentioned encounters with the 13th Ghost have been widely taken as hoaxes. As for myself, I feel that I am a skeptic on this. Knowing if there truly is a 13th Ghost is beyond my knowledge and understanding…perhaps this is a mystery that should be uncovered for another time.

Introduction

"Grandmother, can I ask you a question?"

"Why, of course, dear Kairi. You know you are more than welcome to talk to me about anything you want, anytime."

"I'm just afraid to ask you, that's all."

"Don't be, my child.Never be afraid to ask. You know I'll always love you, no matter what happens to you."

"Well, okay…Grandmother…"

"Yes?"

"…do you believe in ghosts?"

"…"

"Do you believe in ghosts, Grandmother?"

"Dear Kairi… you first must understand what ghosts are. You see, when people are born, so are their hearts. And it is the same that when people die, so do their hearts. Those with pure hearts are able to rest peacefully. But those who have unfinished business, have died unjustly, or have befallen great tragedies in their life, cannot rest. And so traces of themselves are left behind to walk our worlds for all eternity. They are what we call ghosts, and there can be good ones, but there can also be bad ones. Good ghosts are not here to harm, and seek only for help from other living people. Bad ghosts, however, are people born with hearts that bear no light; hearts that were purely made out of darkness. They are outcasts, abominations, accidents in all nature. Like the Heartless, they exist with only one purpose; to swallow the light in other people's hearts. Every so often they come to the scattered worlds, hungering for ones that possess pure hearts so they can consume them."

"But why, Grandmother?"

"Because that is what they long for; it is something that they ultimately lack. And however long they may live, they will not be released from their damned prisons, because the darkness can never overcome the light. Do you understand, Kairi?"

"Grandmother, you sound unwell…are you scared?"

"No, my child.I'm not scared. Fear is the only thing that truly makes you scared…I have seen many things in my life, I have been through many adventures in my life, and I have encountered many ghosts in my life…both good and bad. And after such a hard road, I feel now soon will be the time for me to depart from this world."

"Don't say that Grandmother. I wouldn't want that to happen, because I love you so much."

"I love you too, Kairi. Thank you. You're the only grandchild I have, and I always pray that nothing bad shall happen to you…and to ensure that. I'd like to offer this to you."

"But, Grandmother…it's your pendant."

"Not anymore, my child. It belongs to you now. Here…have it. It has been passed down for many generations, and it has protected the family from the darkness for years. So take good care of it and you will never be taken in by it."

"Thank you, Grandmother. I won't lose it."

"You're welcome, Kairi…as long as you wear it, all the bad spirits cannot claim your heart…and don't you forget that."

Thir13en Ghosts

By Charles Xavier

Prologue: An Unexpected Visitor

"Happy birthday to Kairi! Happy birthday to you!"

Inside a wooden seaside shack, a singing trio sang as they presented a large chocolate cake upon a very special girl.

"WAHOOO!!!!!!!!" Wakka applauded wildly, while Tidus set the cake down onto a small crate.

"Happy birthday, Kairi!" Selphie wrapped her arm round Kairi's neck and gave her a big warm hug. "You're now fifteen years old! What do you have to say for all your die-hard fans here right now?"

Kairi gave a forced smile and brushed back her long chestnut hair, getting a better view of her friends grinning at her. They'd certainly matured a lot, even if they were still young kids, and despite that Kairi had only been back on Destiny Islands for a few months. Still being teenagers, it meant that they had to take more responsibility of themselves. On the other hand, the good news was that nobody was around anymore to tell them about the dos and don'ts. Life had actually turned out more fun for the four of them, spending time around Destiny Islands swimming, playing beach ball, or just sitting back to relax and let the sun warm them up. And on nights like now, the island couldn't be more peaceful than this.

Kairi had enjoyed her life on Destiny Islands for a long time…yet every so often there was something beside the corner, waiting to make her happiness come to an abrupt halt, and now was no exception.

"Um…nothing special…but, thanks."

Tidus' and Wakka's smiles suddenly melted away once Kairi gave them the cold shoulder and slowly turned her cheek from them as if being bashful.

"Oh, come on, Kairi." Said Tidus with a deep moan. "Cheer up. You've been acting so blue ever since you've come back. You should be happy that you're with us and all. So please say something cool for a change."

"What's wrong, Kairi?" Selphie looked at her friend worryingly. "What could have possibly happened to you that made you this depressed?"

Wakku marched over and delivered Kairi a hard slap on the shoulder. "Hey, cheer up! You haven't even blown out the candles and made your wish yet!" He nudged his head over to the glowing cake sitting quietly in front of Kairi, waiting to be receive her blowing sensation.

When Kairi rolled her eyes around to the glimmering candles, she suddenly recognized the white yet mysterious light glowing behind that orangey color. And she realized that it was a light she had seen before…it was that same light she was standing under when…

"Kairi!"

…then unexpectedly, a voice from the distant past echoed in her ears…

"Kairi!"

"Sora!"

"Kairi.Rememb er what you said before? I'm always with you, too. I'll come back for you. I promise!"

"I know you will!"

"Yoo-hoo! Kairi!" Selphie called out to her. "Wakey! Wakey! Earth calling to Miss Kairi! Do you copy me?"

Kairi blinked her eyes and snapped from her reverie to find her friends paying their respects by bringing forth the cake directly in front of her face. And quite a surprise did it give her. There was a big '15' written with whipped cream at the centre of the white chocolate icing. Circling it were the fourteen candles, the last candle being placed between the '1' and the '5'. Chocolate cakes were one of Kairi's favorites, and to resist something so rich and delicious as this just wouldn't be like herself. And that was the problem…Kairi wasn't like herself tonight…or to be more frank, she never has been for the last few months…

For it was five months from now since she had last seen Sora and Riku, of whom she knew that perhaps more than 'liked' her. Missing them was like a daily routine for Kairi every day. There hadn't been a single day when her mind would be switched off from them. Sometimes she even dreamed about seeing either one of them, but always with their backs facing her…sadly. She hadn't seen their faces or heard their voices for so long, it made her wonder if they were even still alive…or maybe lost somewhere in the darkness…no, she knew that they were alive, she could feel it, even though she didn't quite know where they were…

"Come on, Kairi! Take a deep breath and fire away!" Tidus said, holding the massive cake with the others.

Kairi took a deep breath and everyone awaited her biggest moment…until they realized that her deep breath came out as nothing but a long sigh of grief. And not a single candle had been blown.

"I'm sorry, guys." Kairi dropped her eyes down to the sand. "I can't do this tonight…I…I'm just not feeling well."

Without setting her eyes up at any of her friends for even a wink, she silently turned her back to them and made her way to the door. Everyone settled the cake down in disappointment.

"Well…don't you at least want to make your wish?" Wakka suggested…right before Kairi opened the door and left, making a gust of wind rush into the shack and blow out the cake's candles for her.

The whole room became pitch black.

"Huh, I kinda guessed that…" Tidus' voice spoke out.

"…I get to have her slice of cake!"

"Oh, shut up, Tidus." Selphie commented.

It was a full moon tonight, and not one rain cloud was present to ruin Kairi's privacy as she headed down towards the sea, ignoring the waves splashing onto the coast and tempting her into their cold underworld. Tree leaves rustled together while the wind blew onto the island, making the sand fly onto the shack and rocks. And although the beach did seem deserted, looks still could be deceiving…

Kairi stopped just as the waves were about to touch her shoes, and she began to fix her eyes far upon the endless ocean, wandering whatever could be past what she could see. She would never forget that her true friends were somewhere out there, fighting through unspeakable dangers and encountering powerful enemies. But it all just boiled down to one question: "When would this end?"

That was what was on Kairi's mind.

"When?" Kairi whispered. "When will all of this end?"

"Nobody knows for sure, dear. It's like a war we all have to face."

Surprised to hear the mysterious voice, Kairi spun round to find a black shape concealed under the shadows of the trees. For a second, visions of Ansem went flashing into Kairi's eyes, but then…as she looked closer, she realized that the shape was not of the same height as him, but rather thinner. He wore a black leather cloak, which concealed most of his body. There was something about those clothes that made Kairi feel that this stranger was from far away…far from a foreign world. So she slowly approached him, yet still keeping her distance in case something suspicious was to occur.

"Who are you?" She asked.

The shape chuckled as if she was merely pulling a practical joke on him. "I'd be delighted to answer that, my dear. But the real question is: 'Who are you?'"

"…"

Kairi gave a puzzled look. That shape's voice…it sounded disturbingly creepy to her.

"You don't know? Or is it maybe because you don't want to tell me...?" The shape began to sway towards her. Kairi began to feel a chill running down her spine "I can see that you're a very troubled girl…you miss a lot of people…there are things in your life of which you yearn to know…it makes you depressed…and lost…"

A hand reached out of the shadows and into the moonlight, revealing its pale icy fingers. It gripped firmly onto the girl's arm and felt the warmness of it, while Kairi in return felt how cold his hand was.

"…so come…let me help you…I know exactly how you feel."

"Look, I don't need any help from you. Let go of me." Kairi snapped as she tried to pull her arm away…but the shape wouldn't let go. "Let go of me, now! Did you hear me?"

"Why…? Why does your voice tremble so? Do you not trust me, dear…?

"STAY AWAY FROM ME!!!!" With one big pull, Kairi released herself from the shape's clutches and staggered back.

It wasn't long after that when a pack of giant bubbles began to sprout out from underneath the water by the undisturbed coast, not far away. They started to grow rapidly in size and a white fog made its first appearance as it slithered out from the water's surface. Kairi heard the bubbling in the sea and looked around to discover what was happening. Taking a few steps forward, she gazed down upon the eerie sight…and she knew for certain that she'd made a wrong move.

"It's a pity…girls always tend to be more difficult than boys…don't they?" The shape continued to speak. "I strongly suggest that you reconsider now, my dear. If you are not willing to come with me by choice…then I'm afraid to say that you will have to come with me by force…Princess Kairi."

Hearing those last two words, Kairi quickly turned around again to see him…the shape walked into the moonlight to reveal his face.

Kairi wanted to gasp but was too hesitant when she saw her hideous visitor; his skin white as snow, his head shaved, lined and covered all over with sharp long pins that penetrated though his skin. Kairi quickly turned around and sprinted towards the wooden stack, kicking the sand behind her trail. However, multiple chains suddenly emerged from the sea. They shot out as fast as a harpoon and stretched over to the girl escaping from the scene.

And alas, the chains managed to wrap themselves round Kairi's ankles and the poor girl tripped over, falling face down onto the wet sand.

"The other princesses are already waiting for you in my world…" The man spoke boldly. "Oh, I have so many gorgeous sights to show you. Why not join them?"

The fall was severe enough to give Kairi a long while to recover. Hence, the chains pulled back and dragged the half-unconscious girl across the beach and towards the pool of bubbles. They gradually sank back down into the sea while the bubbles resumed their bubbling and the fogs surfed higher into the sky. And when Kairi felt the water touch her legs, she suddenly woke up to her senses and learned that the chains were taking her down into the sea with it. At that point Kairi could only struggle helplessly and scream from the top of her voice:

"AAAA!!!!"

Tidus was the first one to burst out of the wooden shack along with Wakka, then followed by Selphie.

"Kairi?!" Selphie searched around frantically for her. "Where are you?"

"OVER THERE!" Wakka pointed out to the sea. "Something's pulling her into the water!"

Everyone rushed down to Kairi, who already was now half swallowed by the bubbles swallowing her and taking her down into the sand under the water. The aggressive tides made it hard for her to reach her arms out for her companions. None of the three cared about getting wet either, for this was a matter to save one of their friend's life.

"HELP!" Kairi popped her head out from the water's surface, coughing out water that got into her lungs.

"Don't worry, Kairi! We've got you!" Tidus shouted as he grabbed her wrists tightly. Wakka and Selphie got behind him and heaved backwards as much as they could.

"Don't let go, Tidus!" Exclaimed Selphie.

But saying that only made the situation worse…because Kairi's arms slipped out of Tidus' hands and fell back into the water.

The three of them saw her scream out only bubbles as they watched her get devoured by the sea, with her hands still reaching out for them…before they too were gone.

"Kairi?"

When the bubbles had vanished and the fog had lifted, the sea had settled down. Selphie went on her knees and dug through the sand desperately with her fingers. The angry waves splashed onto her face as she tried to search deeper and deeper beneath the sea bed…but then she became exhausted, and took out a wet handful of sand. The sand slipped through the gaps of her fingers, and Seplhie finally believed that there was no trace of Kairi anymore.

Tidus stood there speechless…Wakka shook his head in shame and looked away…and Selphie couldn't help but tremble in horror, and muttered:

"She's…she's…"

Indeed, she was gone.

Author's Note: I own nothing in this story, and just to tell you, this is in fact a slight AU. If you're expecting to see a lot of random gore and blood (which I mostly dislike), you're not going to find much of it here, so I'm sorry to disappoint any of you. Even though this story stars many horror movie icons, this story will contain more action and combat rather than horror.

Anywho, the fights aren't quite ready to begin yet…so you have to be patient! (Though it would be nice to hear some of your ideal thoughts of who might fight who…just for the fun of it! ).