Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction ❯ And They Shall Know No Fear ❯ A beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ooo, lookit! A new story! I haven't really done any writing for a while, and I just didn't feel like doing anything on my old stories. So I decided to write something new. This is a crossover between Neon Genesis Evangelion (where the characters and basic storyline originate from) and the universe of Warhammer 40,000 (the setting). Whilst no real knowledge of either is needed to appreciate this story, those who play Warhammer 40k will no doubt value the references to places and events in the 40k universe. I will apologise in advance for any deviation from the ethos of the 40k universe, but this should be minimal, if at all.
I guess I should start with a standard disclaimer, not that anyone would actually think I own either NGE (Gainex does) or Warhammer 40k (Games Workshop's brainchild). Because I don't. Heh, there it is, don't come asking for another one!
 
AND THEY SHALL KNOW NO FEAR
Chapter one: a beginning
***
In the dark future of the 41st millennium, mankind is at war. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of man is beset on all sides by both internal and external foes, all vying to exterminate humanity from the stars. Even some of the Imperium's finest warriors, the genetically enhanced Space Marines, have turned their back on the immortal Emperor of mankind and instead worship the dark gods of chaos. However, not all is lost. Whilst embattled upon all sides by Xenos, Daemon and Traitor, the armies of mankind fight on, and will do so until their last breath. From the endless ranks of the Imperial Guard to the great warriors of the Space Marines, humanity is well defended. However, not all foes can be fought normally, and this is the reason for the orders of the Inquisition. These individuals search tirelessly for any sign of daemon, witch or alien, and destroy them. Indeed, it is the witch hunters that are most sorely pressed, for humanity has not yet evolved to master its psychic power, and those who show talent in manipulating the power of the Warp are like shining beacons to the fell powers, the gods and daemons of chaos.
Many whose will is strong enough can overcome these dangers may become battle psychers of the Imperial Guard, Inquisitorial henchmen or even Space Marine Librarians, if they are found to be strong enough at a young age.
 
Technology is a lost knowledge to mankind, and what little is left is regarded as mythical and strange. This is the reason for the cult of the Machine God, whose priests search tirelessly under the surface of Mars, braving dangers that most do not survive to bring more understanding from a time where technology was a less lost art.
This is where our tale begins, in a dusty vault deep within the bowels of Mars…
 
<><><>
Taptap-taptap-taptap…
The dark corridor's silence was broken only by the sound of techpriest Valten's aged fingers hitting the buttons on his keyboard. Around him, his cybernetic-enhanced servitors stood perfectly still, waiting for a command. In front of Valten stood a large blast door, the same one he had found almost a decade ago, and the one he had been trying to open ever since. It had been almost six months since he had braved the terrors of the labyrinth to reach the surface, and his skin was pale from lack of sunlight.
“No. 12, begin subroutine H-5” he instructed, without even bothering to look up.
Several small clicks told him that the servitor had connected itself to the computer system blocking access to the room beyond, and was prepared to crack the last code. Plugging a socket from his keypad into another connection on the wall, Valten grinned in anticipation.
“Execute.”
 
As the heavy adamantine doors slowly slid open, Valten looked at the interior with pleasure. Turning to his servo-skull, he instructed the bionic floating cranium to go to the surface and return with a full expedition. Rubbing his hands with glee, Valten knew this was just the beginning.
 
<><><>
A jolt on the hard metal slab that a girl was lying on awoke her with a start. Groaning from the untimely hour, the teen slowly sat up, her hair unravelled from the braids she usually wore it in. Around her was a bunch of similar benches, each with a person the same age as her lying on it. As she glanced around, she saw that she was the only one awake. Standing up, the teenager stretched out the kinks in her back. Receiving several `pops' out of her vertebrae, she turned and picked up the dataslab sitting on a small desk next to the makeshift bed. As she switched it on, it bathed her face in a ghostly green glow, and reflected off the dull ceremite walls.
 
<Security clearance level required: omega five. Please enter password. >
 
Thinking for a moment, she typed in the ten-digit number given to her by the men who had shown up and taken her from her home, with no explanation other than a vague reference to “The good of the Imperium.”
 
<Security code accepted. Personal file database entered. Name: Hikari Hokari. Planet of origin: Macragge. Please make your selection from the list below. >
 
Hikari scanned down, looking for any information regarding why she was here that she might have missed the first time she looked at it. Unsurprisingly, there was nothing new. Not that she had gotten anything useful the first time, though. All it had told her was a bunch of gibberish pertaining to the legality of being taken away and the fact that this was classified `Top Secret.'
Feeling slightly annoyed, she turned off the dataslab with a sigh. A light cough behind her made her jump slightly. Turning, she saw that another one of the teens in the room was awake.
“Couldn't sleep?” she asked the young woman, whom she had only met last night.
“No.” came the simple reply. Her pale skin seemed sickly in the low light, and her red eyes almost looked black. “The journey seems to be nearing completion, as we have re-entered normal space.”
Indeed, Hikari could no longer hear the pulsating hum of the warp-drive system, instead being replaced by the dull throb of the normal ion accelerator engines. She could also slightly feel the deceleration of the starship, indicating that they were entering orbit. Orbit around what, Hikari didn't know.
“You think we should wake the others?”
The albino glanced around the room, replying “No. Whilst I have no idea why we are here, it is my belief that this will not be something easy.”
Hikari sighed. She found it hard to have a prolonged conversation with Rei. Being the daughter of a noble family on the forge world of Angulus Prime, she had grown up around machines and mindless servitors, and so her social skills were lacking at best. Hikari mused that the Ayanami family would have not been very tightly knit, unlike her own.
“Well, I hope that whatever it is, it happens soon. I'm tired of waiting.”
 
***
Well, there it is, ladies and gentlemen! The first time I have written in a long time, so I hope it is up to standard. For those 40k freaks out there, the only clue I will give you is that the next part takes place in a certain Space Marine chapter's fortress in the Sol system! Dun-dun-duhhhhh……