Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Saber Marionette Fan Fiction ❯ Terrible Things to Waste ❯ Warm Receptions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello and welcome faithful fanfic readers and welcome to my 'flagship' story!
 
It might seem like any other Sailor Moon story, but looks can be deceiving. My only hope is that it's an enjoyable read and it takes you by surprise.
 
BTW, Lost Lurker, this one's for you! Ah hell, why not? This one is for you too, Yarnspinner. You talented bastard! ;p
 
-------------------------
Terrible Things to Waste
Part 1: Warm Receptions
-------------------------
 
'New Heroine "Sailor Moon" In Action!' one headline said.
 
'Sailor Moon Defeats Mysterious Creature,' said another.
 
Serena sighed. Her eyes wandered around the several clippings pinned to her wall. A picture of the beautiful blonde heroine accompanied each article that went on and on (and on) about the good deeds of the elegant, levelheaded, and compassionate superhero.
 
'Boy, I wish I could be her sometimes.' Serena thought wistfully. 'I mean the way they talk about her she's perfect. And those pictures too, geez.'
 
As much as she tried, Serena couldn't find anything wrong with her. From Sailor Moon's split end free blonde ponytails, to her unblemished white bodice, to a sparkling jeweled tiara, and finally to her great skin, Serena couldn't think of another word but perfect, (however that could be partially blamed on a limited vocabulary, she admitted).
 
Judging from those pictures she had a hard time believing the same Sailor Moon could get low marks on tests, is a pest to her friends, or gets scolded routinely for bad table manners. How could anyone live up to those expectations?
 
'No one can.' Serena shook her fist. 'So it shall be my duty to set the record straight! Gosh darn it!'
 
"But what to write?" Serena whined, slumping forward.
 
"It doesn't matter what you write, Serena." The blonde perked up as a black cat streaked through the door and hopped onto her bed. Its striking red eyes regarded the girl. "It's not like they'll understand you amidst all of your horrible grammar."
 
Serena feigned a pout before reaching out to her old friend.
 
"Oh, Luna, whatever am I going to do with you?"
 
The feline purred in appreciation as Serena found the sweet spot just above the crescent shaped birthmark on her forehead. Once the girl felt she had the cat properly sedated Serena hoisted up it by the haunches.
 
"Maybe I should just sell you off to some television station. What's the going price on talking cats?"
 
"You wouldn't dare..."
 
Serena made sure the lamp light gleamed just right to catch the wicked glint in her eye. "Wanna try me?"
 
The cat blinked as Serena placed her back on the bed. "I can see where Reenie gets her wicked sense of humor from. It's certainly not Darien."
 
"Oh yeah, Reenie." Serena light mood instantly sobered. "So is she asleep?"
 
"Sound asleep." Luna assured resting her head on the soft bed sheets. "She appears to have calmed down from that spat you two hard earlier. I wouldn't worry; she'll probably forget why she was angry with you by the morning."
 
"Huh. I wonder sometimes if I'm too hard on her. I mean she isn't a kid anymore and I'm no longer a girl. Boy, time has slipped by me. At some point, I need to have a heart to heart with her and get this entire thing out in the open. These arguments are beginning to wear me out."
 
“I would strongly suggest you talk with her." Remaining still, Luna only offered a wiggle of her ears. "I'm impressed Serena. It looks like you've finally embraced adulthood.”
 
"Yeah." A small smile formed on Serena's face before exploding into a full bore grin. "Now help me with my memoirs."
 
"And just when I think- Argh!" Luna's brow twitched. "Really Serena, we've been through this already, I don't see why you need to write down your memoirs now. I can understand the need to do so, but now is not the time."
 
"Well there's already one about Sailor Venus."
 
Luna jumped to her paws, the hairs on her back bristling. "That was written by one of her whacko obsessed fans not Mina! Besides, half the stuff is garbage!"
 
Serena lifted a finger to her lips and smiled demurely. "You mean the parts about you being Artemis' lover?"
 
"Don't you dare change the subject, this is about you." Luna snorted. "I don't think you fully grasp the consequences of your actions. What if your mother finds them?"
 
Leaning back in her chair, Serena shrugged. "Then I'll tell her I'm Sailor Moon, no big deal. What's the danger in her finding out? I was going to tell her eventually."
 
"What about Amy, Raye, Lita, and Mina? Did you tell them about this?"
 
"Well..." Serena paused imagining an irate Raye rampaging close on her heels with the other close behind carrying pitchforks and torches.
 
"Well?" Luna narrowed her eyes.
 
Serena slumped in her chair. "You have a point."
 
The feline sighed, resting her head back on the bed. "Please remember Serena, the other girls trust you. What would you do if they felt like they couldn't trust you anymore?"
 
"Yes, yes, yes, I understand Luna. I'll ask them about it before I do anything."
 
Deciding she'd made enough progress for one day, Serena jumped from her chair and began to rummage through her closet. However, her mind kept chewing on what Luna had just told her. For some reason it really bugged her.
 
After laying out her bedclothes, the girl paused. "Do you trust me?"
 
Luna's ears perked at this yet her eyes remained closed making Serena's heart tightened.
 
"Don't tell me you-"
 
"Trust is a very particular thing, Serena. I can't trust that you'll be to school on time, but I can always trust your decisions."
 
"Why's that?"
 
Luna paused once more. "Because you have a good heart, Serena. You only wish to do the right thing. You've proven it time and again. That's why I trust you."
 
Feeling the sun break through the clouds that had gathered over her mood, Serena happily ran her fingers across the fine black hairs on Luna's back. "Thanks Luna, that means a-"
 
Before Serena could finish a sudden pounding from the front door startled the pair.
 
"Who could it be?" Serena pondered aloud as she made her way to the stairs.
 
Could it be Raye? No, why would she be out at this time of night? In fact, why would any of her friends pound on her door at this hour without calling her first?
 
'Could it be Darien? Maybe he got out early from Osaka. He must have known he'd be coming here to a virtually empty house.' The thought of her fiancé sent her racing down the stairs as well as turning her spine into warm taffy.
 
"Listen, Serena," Luna piped in skipping down the stairs ahead of her, "I know you've missed Darien very much over the last few weeks, but you have no idea know who's at the door."
 
"Calm down Luna. Remember I am Sailor Moon. If I need to, I'll transform and zap 'em. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to welcome Darien home."
 
With one clean jerk, Serena threw open the door and flung her arms wide.
 
"Welcome-" Serena's large smile wilted, "... back?"
 
Serena's hopes of welcoming her tall, dark, and handsome prince were quickly dashed as a fidgeting blonde woman in filthy, gray military-type clothing stood in the doorway. Upon seeing Serena, the strange woman gasped and fell to her knees.
 
Jaw slacked and in slight shock Serena frantically tried to gather her scattered thoughts.
 
'Okay, uh, why is a stranger kneeling in front of me?' She asked before quickly answering herself. 'If only she thought I was royalty, you dummy. Yes, uh, of course. But she would only do that if she thought I was...'
 
Immediately, Serena felt like someone had stuffed her mouth full of marshmallows.
 
"Um... please get up. Please? You don't have to kneel like that." Serena croaked.
 
Slowly, the woman raised herself to her feet keeping her eyes fixed to her worn boots. "I'm sorry, your Majesty. I did not mean any disrespect."
 
'Oh crap.'
 
Desperately, Serena glanced at Luna but could see the cat was just as lost as she was.
 
'Okay, Luna has no idea what to do. So I'm on my own on this one. Okay, Serena don't panic! Think Serena! Think!'
 
"Um, I don't think you got the right house." Serena stammered.
 
Curious, the woman raised her eyes and studied Serena's face carefully. "Are you not Neo Queen Serenity?"
 
'Oh no, not now, it's too early!' Serena screamed in her head. 'I'm not ready yet to become Neo-Queen Serenity! Oh God, why have you forsaken me!'
 
Breathing deeply, Serena could only muster, "Err..."
 
"Oh I'm sorry, I mean I thought I had the right time - Oh, nevermind. Um, perhaps I've made a mistake and came here too early? You're still going by Sailor Moon, aren't you? Please disregard anything I was saying earlier." The woman bowed quickly, unsuccessfully hiding her reddened cheeks.
 
"No!" Serena blurted. "No, uh, um, I'm not her at all. You must be mistaken. Try a couple of houses down. You might find her there."
 
"You are Usagi Tskuino, right?"
 
Serena stared at the stranger. "No, I'm Serena Tskuino."
 
"Oh." The stranger blinked. "You've got the same type of blonde ponytails and face as Sailor Moon, and I can tell that's Luna by her crescent birthmark. Unless of course I'm in a different time stream or something."
 
Serena felt dizzy. She could literally feel the blood emptying from her head like a broken jug of fizzy soda. Who was this woman?
 
"Who is this woman?" Serena could hear Luna hiss quietly.
 
"Hey Serena!" A shrill voice bellowed from atop the stairs. "What's going on!? Who's at the door? Is it Darien?! Are you trying to hog him all to yourself again!"
 
A chill ran down Serena's back. Even before she could bark an order, Reenie materialized at the foot of the stairs.
 
"Darien!" The pink-haired child squeaked.
 
Horrified, Serena could only watch as the child blindly leapt at the stranger.
 
The child's excitement immediately fizzled when she took an experimental squeeze of the chest she clung to. The shocked child suddenly let go and involuntarily wiped her hands on her blue nightgown.
 
Unfazed, the woman chuckled and patted Reenie on the head. "You must be the crown princess of Crystal Tokyo. You look so much like your mother."
 
"Uhhh, heh, I don't know what you're talking about, heh." Reenie stepped closer to Serena and growled softly. "Who is this woman?"
 
Unsure what to say next, Serena as well as everyone else fidgeted in place. The question of 'Who was this woman?' rang in Serena's head over and over again. Could she be from the future? She had to be if she knew of Neo-Queen Serenity. Was she an enemy? No, probably not. Most of her enemies would have attacked by now and they certainly wouldn't kneel in front of her. Then if she wasn't an enemy, that made her an ally? Right?
 
'This is too much for one night. Heck, it's too much for me!'
 
Finally, the strange woman cleared her throat breaking the silence.
 
"Um, I'm very sorry. You must think I'm rude. I haven't introduced myself." She smiled meekly while toying with her ruby bracelet. "Uh, I'm-"
 
"A Traveller." A cold, calm voice finished. "And an unwelcome guest."
 
Looking over the stranger's shoulder, Serena spied a tall woman emerging from the darkness.
 
"Puu?" The child chirped curiously.
 
"Sailor Pluto?" Serena asked. 'Alright, so she's an enemy?'
 
The tall woman came closer, stabbing her staff into the concrete startling the stranger. Even with the light of her house, Serena had a hard time discerning Sailor Pluto from the night. Though her white bodice stood out, her tanned skin and long, enveloping dark hair made her hard to distinguish from her surroundings.
 
Then Serena's sights went to the red orb perched on Pluto's staff. Her stomach twisted as she watched the orb slowly pulsate, matching the intensity Serena had only seen during their fiercest battles.
 
'Oh boy, she's definitely not happy.'
 
"Leave now, Traveller." The Time Guardian pointed the staff at the woman. "You have no business here."
 
The stranger wilted under Sailor Pluto's stern gaze. "I'm sorry Time Guardian, but my enemies will be here soon, um, looking for me."
 
"They are already here." The Time Guardian replied. "I advise you leave."
 
"Then you know they'll tear apart this city whether or not I'm not here."
 
"We will be able to handle them." The Time Guardian answered.
 
"But with my help, you wouldn't be putting the Senshi's lives at risk." The stranger retorted.
 
'Senshi?' Serena wondered.
 
"We do not need your help, Traveller." The Time Guardian grew silent and crossed her arms.
 
"Please don't do this." The stranger murmured, digging her fingers harder into her palms.
 
Serena watched the exchange in fascination. Never before had she seen Pluto go toe to toe with someone like this before. She also had a great deal of respect for the stranger, standing up to Pluto was no easy task. None of the other girls felt entirely comfortable questioning the wisdom of the Time Guardian. It always seemed like a losing battle when the other person knew what you were going to eat for lunch fifty years from now.
 
Currently, the stranger had clenched her jaw and squeezed her eyes shut as if trying to hold back the anger building within. Serena wondered what the woman would do next. Whatever she did, Serena hoped she wouldn't resort to violence. Finally, the blonde stranger let go her breath and her shoulders cratered and Serena's heart sank. She kinda hoped the stranger wouldn't give up.
 
The stranger wiped the back of her dirty hand across her face, leaving large smudge trails on her cheeks, however Serena could seen tears begin to well in the corners of her eyes.
 
"It has been decided then." The Time Guardian gingerly rested her hand on the woman's shoulder.
 
"No." The stranger's blue eyes shot open. "This is not your decision to make."
 
Serena gasped as the stranger threw herself at her feet once more.
 
"Your Highness, I implore you to hear me out! I'm a rebel with a group called the Society that is fighting the corruption of my world. Our enemies have sent their soldiers after me, who have ruthlessly and tenaciously pursued me. They've killed my friends and wiped out my entire family before my own eyes!"
 
Tears began to carve through the dark smudges on the stranger's flush cheeks.
 
"Please, my Queen, you and your court of Senshi are my only hope for survival!"
 
Suddenly, the stranger snatched Serena's hands, looking directly into her eyes.
 
"I trust you, your Highness. I know that you fight for those who are in grave need and I know that you fight for justice and all that's right. I know you'll make the right decision."
 
Serena blinked. Make the right decision? Why would she, a teenage girl, be able to overrule the all knowing Sailor Pluto, someone who has existed for eons guarding the past, present, and future?
 
Then Serena heard something like the hammering of a small chisel. Searching, Serena noticed Pluto impatiently rapping her fingers on the metallic staff.
 
A sudden realization hit Serena; didn't Pluto only take orders from Neo-Queen Serenity? Well technically, she was Neo-Queen Serenity but that was several years from now. Actually, she wasn't sure when exactly; just that it was around the time the world would freeze over. Thinking back, Serena couldn't remember when Pluto said that would happen.
 
'Um, I guess I should pay closer attention to Pluto next time.' Serena mused. 'Ugh, you've let your mind stray again! You've got a crisis on your hands!'
 
Many times in the past, Serena always followed her heart and in the end somehow everything came out okay. Unfortunately, the pangs of her heart conflicted entirely with Pluto's wishes. Would she trust her heart once again or go with the ageless wisdom of Sailor Pluto? This decision was tearing her more than the time she had to choose which flavor of ice cream she liked the most.
 
Serena felt herself being pulled back to reality when something grabbed her leg. Looking down, she saw Reenie anxiously looking back and something in Serena snapped.
 
"She stays, Pluto." Serena stated softly.
 
"If I may make myself perfectly clear, Sailor Moon, it would be inadvisable to permit the Traveller to remain here. There is no telling what damage she could cause to your future."
 
"I'm willing to take that risk Sailor Pluto. For I fight for love, justice, and helping those who are in need." Serena reprimanded the Time Guardian, not sure exactly where this burst of confidence came from. "My heart tells me to help this woman and I trust it, and I implore you to do the same. This woman is in need of our help, and you are telling me to ignore her pleas. I can't do that, I wouldn't be Sailor Moon, or your Queen, if I deny her or any others who are in need."
 
Pluto sighed. "As you wish, my Queen. But this Traveller will not be staying with you. She is too dangerous to be near you especially if her enemies are looking for her. I will take her someplace where she will be protected and safely away from you."
 
A pang of guilt hit Serena as she hoped Pluto didn't feel betrayed by her actions. It killed her to do that to a friend, but she knew deep down that she did the right thing. Sensing a need to make Pluto feel better, Serena nodded in agreement, and then turned to the beaming blonde stranger.
 
"Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" The stranger flung her arms around Serena. "I don't know how I'll ever repay you!"
 
"Well," Serena wheezed, "you can start by telling me you name."
 
"Ah," The blonde stranger let go and curtseyed, "My name is Xendyte Animi, Your Highness, but you may also call me Cindy."
 
Nodding and bowing, Serena smiled back at Cindy. "Welcome Cindy. My name is Serena and I insist that you call me by that name. I will not have any of this 'Your Highness' nonsense among my friends."
 
A grin spread across Cindy's face. "Yes ma'am!"
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------- -----------------------
 
"I should have seen it coming." Greg mumbled to himself.
 
He knew he made a mistake to suggest that they study together tonight with the way things had been progressing. Did Amy think he had taken things too far?
 
A brisk wind welcomed Greg as he crested the steps from the subway station. Looking down the darkened, nearly deserted street, he saw the lamps had kindly illuminated his path. Most of them did anyway.
 
His wavy brown locks tossed about with the gusts as he jabbed his hands into the pockets of his jacket to escape the cold, crisp air.
 
He passed several narrow alleys that peeked between buildings along the main road before finally entering one he recognized. As much as the stench of trash made him nauseous or the erratic flickering of the lights filled him with dread, Greg could tolerate the walk for the time it saved him getting home.
 
As he walked, he resisted the temptation to close his eyes. Foresight worked so well on tests and homework but in regards to women and love not so much. The fear of seeing himself broken hearted tempered his desire to take a quick peek into his future. Sometimes he loathed being psychic.
 
'Perhaps, Amy and the other Sailor Scouts feel the same way about their powers?' He wondered.
 
"Me-rowar!"
 
Startled, Greg caught sight of a cat's tail streak into one of the alleyways.
 
"How?" Greg murmured. "I should have sensed a warning. Huh, I must be getting rusty or something."
 
Greg closed his eyes, expecting to see a vision of him safely at home. He squeezed his eyes tighter, reaching out for anything. Eventually, a faint, fuzzy image began to form and come into focus.
 
As the image took shape, gusts of wind swirled around him. A strange chorus of buzzes and snaps rang in his ears breaking his concentration. Curious, he opened his eyes and saw a few lithe arms of energy emanating from one of the alleyways.
 
Trying desperately to prevent his heart from leaping out of his chest, Greg cautiously approached.
 
'Is that a spirit? Or maybe an extraterrestrial?' Greg pondered with excitement. 'Whatever it is, Amy and her friends would benefit from knowing.'
 
With grim determination, the boy eased his head around the corner. Suddenly a title above his head exploded into concrete splinters.
 
Reeling back to the street, Greg turned to scramble away.
 
"Hold it!"
 
Greg froze.
 
"Turn around."
 
Carefully, Greg turned and faced a barrel of a gun.
 
The smell of burnt plastic mingled with the powder from the chamber. Panning away from the gun, Greg noticed the charred ends of the man's black sleeve accompanied by several more irregularly shaped holes. Tears and cuts lined the rest of the black uniform, or what remained of it. Through the man's long dirty, black locks, Greg could make out a large vertical scar that dominated the right side of his pale face. Finally, Greg's eyes darted to his waist where a large broad sword hung along with other strange looking weapons. However, the sword's iridescent glow in particular captivated him.
 
"Listen kid." The man waved his gun. "This gun's just my personal lie detector."
 
Greg tore his sights away from the eerie glow of the sword and knitted his eyebrows. "Lie detector?"
 
The man chuckled. "Exactly. I need you to tell me where your Queen is."
 
"Queen? I don't-"
 
*BANG! *
 
Greg waited for his heart to start beating again and peered at the small crater between his legs.
 
"Well, kiddo, looks like you're not tellin' the truth." A slight scowl marred the man's face. "Where is your Queen?"
 
"You mean the Empress of Japan?" Greg blurted in exasperation.
 
The man gnashed his teeth. "No, damn it, I mean Neo-Queen Serenity! You stupid bastard! Where the hell is she?!"
 
Greg's eyes grew to the size of saucers.
 
'How did he know of Serenity? Is he an enemy from the future here to assassinate Serena to prevent her from ascending to the thrown?' Greg glanced at the glowing sword. 'If he is, then this is guy is definitely bad news.'
 
"Serenity? Uh, I've neve-"
 
"Shhh!" The stranger poked his ear out and searched the dark sky.
 
Perplexed, Greg watched as the stranger prowled around the narrow street like a wild animal trailing a scent. The boy listened and heard nothing unusual among all the sounds of car engines and the occasional tolling of crossing guards in the distance.
 
One sound out the muddled mess, however, did grow louder. At first, Greg dismissed it as a plane passing overhead, but it soon sounded too close to be several hundred kilometers above them. It sounded more like it was rapidly approaching.
 
"Damn it!" The stranger cursed as a blast tore apart the wall behind them.
 
Greg hardly had time to react when the force of the explosion flung him into an alleyway, hot plaster and rocks showering his back. A roar of an engine thundered down the alley. Dust swirled around his head and the smell of scorched concrete filled his nose. Torrents of gunfire mingled with the engine's roaring, assaulting his eardrums.
 
Lifting his hands away from his head, he spied the stranger, gnashing his teeth and shouting at the top of his lungs. The firestorm of bullets intensified with the engine's roar. Then from out of nowhere a large metallic blue object streaked down the alley nearly toppling the stranger.
 
Just as soon as the chaos started, it immediately ceased. The sounds of destruction were now replaced by the peaceful hum of a jet engine. Raising his sore and concrete battered body, Greg carefully looked around the corner.
 
The blue metallic suit hovered at the alley entrance; it's mirrored helmet facing the general vicinity of the stranger. It swayed calmly as its lithe clawed fingers clicked against each other like icicles. In contrast, the stranger's wild soot covered mane flayed about as his bloodshot brown eyes narrowed and his fingers danced on the trigger.
 
"You're still alive, Timelord?" An unnaturally deep voice boomed. "No matter. I'll just dispose of you now and save the General the trouble."
 
"Where is that bastard, you puny asshole!?" The stranger hissed.
 
The suit ceased its taunting sway.
 
"I would reframe from referring to the General to a fatherless runt like you! At least killing you will earn me the General's-"
 
A barrage of bullets hammered the metallic suit and sent it shooting in every direction. It convulsed with jolts of electricity as each bullet dented its armor.
 
"Talkin' tough now, you Society bastard!" The stranger screamed. "How do you like me now, huh!? You freakin' fairy!"
 
Greg ducked behind one of the buildings as random bullets blew off various titles, which hit him in the face.
 
"Is this how you like it from your precious General?" The stranger cackled.
 
Finally, the blue suit spun around and it punched its fist forward. A compartment popped up from the suit's forearm sending a volley that rocked the alley.
 
The blast flung Greg further down the alleyway and pummeled his body with scorched pieces of concrete. Bolting to his feet, Greg rushed back to street and gasped.
 
The entire side of the building across from him had collapsed onto the alley exposing its interior to the night. He didn't see anyone inside and he hoped no one had been trapped beneath the debris.
 
Meanwhile, the blue suit clawed at the debris oblivious to him.
 
"Malance!" A muffled voice barked from inside the helmet.
 
"Yes General!" The suit immediately jumped to attention.
 
"Malance! Why aren't you answering!?" The voice demanded amongst static.
 
"I'm here General!" The suit banged its helmet in vain.
 
"Return here at once." The cold voice ordered. "I grow weary of your delay."
 
Greg could hear an engine hum back to life.
 
"This isn't over Timelord." The suit growled.
 
Once the mechanical suit had disappeared into the forest of buildings, Greg crept out from the alleyway perturbed.
 
'What in the heck just happen? First the crazy gun wielding stranger and then a man in a robotic suit arrives, and finally this 'General' person?' Greg felt a shiver roll down his spine in remembrance of that cold voice.
 
Greg shook his head. 'You can worry about that later; right now let's see if there are any injured people that need our help!'
 
With a purposeful pace, Greg began removing the bricks from the pile. After a throwing aside a few bricks, the pile shifted. Quickening his pace, Greg tossed debris out of the way left and right.
 
Without warning, the stranger burst from the pile and jammed his gun into the boy's face. Greg's throat tightened as he looked into the stranger's grinning bloody facade. His wild black pupils glowed through his dark mane.
 
"Where you goin' boy?" The stranger chuckled. "You're my tour guide."
 
Tempting fate, Greg closed his eyes and sought a vision of his future.
 
And he saw nothing...
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------- -----
 
After exchanging good-byes and condolences, the Time Guardian whisked the Traveller, Cindy, safely away. For a moment, Serena just stood there and let what had just transpired to soak in. They must have been standing there for awhile before she noticed the cold breeze from the open door stinging her flesh.
 
As Serena closed the door, the black feline sighed. "I think it's time to go to bed."
 
"Yeah." Serena replied unable to muster much else.
 
Serena watched Reenie as they ascended the stairs wondering what the child thought of her decision. Reenie out of all of them knew Pluto the best so Serena supposed she'd be the best judge of whether what she did was wise or not. However, that mattered little now, the damage had been done and she would deal with the dreaded aftermath in the morning.
 
When they reached the top, Luna skipped away to Serena's bedroom while Serena went to take Reenie to bed. After tucking Reenie in, Serena barely made it to the door when Reenie got her attention.
 
"Serena?"
 
"Yes?"
 
Reenie chewed on her lip gingerly for a moment before finally speaking.
 
"I've never seen anyone speak to Puu like that except for Ma-" The child caught herself, realizing what she was going to say. "Uh, what I mean is, I thought it was pretty cool how you handled Puu. Sometimes she can come on a little ... strong, but she means well. I'm sure she'll forgive you... eventually. I mean she always has with me. Hey, if you want I can see if I can smooth things over with her for you!"
 
Serena gazed at the anxious child. "Don't worry Reenie, I made this decision and I think it's high time I took responsibility for my actions, let me deal with Pluto." At that declaration, Serena felt a rush of inspiration. "So with that in mind, things are going to change around here!"
 
Reenie raised her eyebrows. "Oh really?"
 
Serena grinned. "Yup. First, there's needs to be harmony in this house which means the two of us need to get along better. No more squabbling about nonsense."
 
"And how are we going to do that, oh High and Mighty?"
 
Not wishing to see her efforts for peace descend into war, Serena continued. "A compromise. Whenever one of us wants something that the other might not like, we talk about it and reach a deal."
 
"Anything?"
 
"Anything."
 
"So when I want to have ice cream with Darien?"
 
Serena nodded. "As long as you're willing to do something in return for me, I'll let you be."
 
Reenie, once more, chewed on her lip thoughtfully. "I think I can do that."
 
"Great!" Serena bounded toward the bed and offered her hand. "So, truce?"
 
The child took her hand. "Truce."
 
Returning to the door, Serena switched off the lights. "Okay, sleep well, Reenie. I know a lot has happened tonight, so please let me worry about this. Okay?"
 
The child smiled and pulled the covers over herself. "Good night."
 
"Good night."
 
As she closed the door, Serena felt her cheerfulness fade into a sobering realization of what lay ahead. She knew Pluto had her reasons for being feeling strongly about the stranger and that definitely concerned her. However, Pluto had stayed particularly quiet about those reasons. Her heart told her she made the right decision, but the more she thought about the more she doubted. When she returned to her room, she found Luna waiting for her, ears perked.
 
"Are you sure that I made the right decision, Luna?"
 
"I'm not sure, Serena. I hate to say it, but there's not much we can do other than wait for someone to make the first move. However, to be totally frank with you, none of this makes any sense to me. What makes these 'Travellers' such a grave threat that Sailor Pluto would abandon her post at the Time Gate? And what is a 'Traveller?' I've never heard of them until tonight. All of this is so very strange."
 
"I know. Pluto was so insistent that Cindy leave, but when I said she could stay, she obeyed me without a second thought. Its scary Luna, Pluto trusts me enough to follow my orders now. Does that me I've finally become her?"
 
Luna remained silent and Serena decided to let the matter drop. It was silly; really, there was no way she'd somehow become Neo-Queen Serenity and Luna didn't need to tell her. She was too young, immature, and unprepared to take on that much responsibility. She had a hard enough time handling Reenie and homework let alone the entire world. Serena stared out her window watching the sparkling collection of stars. She always found solace in them when she felt down making her troubles seem so far away.
 
Serena wasn't sure how much time had passed before Luna raised her voice again. "How do you suppose the others will take this?"
 
Serena remained silent for a long time, focusing on the full moon.
 
"Probably not too well. Either way, we'll definitely find out tomorrow."
 
Serena opened a drawer near her bed and found a thin device similar in size to a credit card. She pressed a button at the bottom, and an image of her friend, Amy, flashed into view in the opposing corner. The girl's short blue hair stuck out in every direction as her head bobbed back and forth like a doll's head on a spring.
 
"What is it Serena?" Amy rubbed her sleep swollen eyes and yawned.
 
Serena grimaced. "Amy, we need to schedule an emergency Scout meeting."
 
-End of part 1-
 
 
Just a note, this is like the third major revision I've made to this story over the last several years. *shakes head* Man, I'm horrible.
 
Bastion Note 02/07:
Just some more window dressing continued from the Prologue. I'm not sure if I'll do the same to Parts 2-4, but I doubt it. I need to focus on the new chapters. BTW, if you do enjoy the story and would like to see more, I have come to discover feedback makes me write faster. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
 
Bastion Note 07/10:
Geez. I just can't leave this one alone. Okay, made some minor corrections but the major change is the elimination of the Prologue. I hope no one was attached to it. Personally, I'd never been happy with it so off it goes. Maybe I'll put it up as an Omake somewhere down the line.
 
Anyway thanks to Magicalelf, Helmut Ott, and Knight Writer for their comments and edits. Finally, thanks to you guys for taking your time to wade through the endless sea of SM fics to read this one.
 
Disclaimer:
All original characters are owned and copyrighted by Bastion (c) 2004.
And Sailor Moon is owned by Naoko Takeuchi and in America by DIC
and Pioneer and ADV, etc, etc, etc...