Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Mutant Family ❯ A New Mutant ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: Yugi and Yami lived happily with their mother. Not knowing about their father, their lives were pretty normal. But Yami kept having the vision that he would merge with the legendary unicorn during his 16th year of life. During the summer of his 16th year, his vision came to pass when he merged with the last unicorn in the world. It turned out that this unicorn was very unique in its own right because it could fly and it had great powers that Yami found out when a pair of sentinels attacked. Storm was in the area and saw what happened. She, Yami and Yugi are headed back for the Institute.
' is thoughts





Chapter 2: A New Mutant

It was a peaceful ride so far in the Blackbird II. Yugi had fallen asleep next to Yami. Yami smiled and watched him sleep. Storm had put the jet on automatic pilot after telling the professor about Yami and Yugi. Then she joined Yami in watching Yugi sleep. It was getting dark anyway, and they needed to rest as well.
"We should get some rest," Storm said. "The jet is on autopilot and will take us to our destination."
Yami nodded and went to sleep himself. Storm soon joined him, and all three were asleep. Prof. Xavier monitored their position with Cerebrum. He was a little worried because a big storm was brewing over the ocean, and they were heading right into it. He didn't know if Storm could hold the storm off until the jet made it out.
"Something wrong Professor?" Cyclops asked.
"The Blackbird II is on a collision course with a strengthening typhoon. I'm not sure whether Storm can hold out long enough," Xavier responded.
The next morning, fierce turbulence awakened Storm, Yami and Yugi.
"What's going on?" Yugi asked.
"We're in a typhoon," Storm responded. "I only hope I can hold it off until we're out," she added as she created an electric field over the jet. She was straining to keep the shield up. "I can't keep this up. The typhoon's too strong," she said. Suddenly, she felt something helping her hold the storm off.
"You need to take a break Storm. Don't worry; I can handle this on my own," Yami said.
"Thank you," Storm said as she sat down in one of the seats. She was amazed because Yami didn't strain even a little bit. "You're powers are greater than mine," she added.
Back at the Institute, Charles Xavier was quite amazed himself. "Something's holding off the typhoon, but it's not Storm," he said.
"Do you think that Yami is doing it?" Jubilee said.
"I do think that Yami's doing it. I can feel that his powers are just about unlimited," Xavier responded.
An hour later, the Blackbird II was out of the typhoon, and Yami let the shield down. Thanks to the shield, they were still on course fro the Institute. It would be another day before they reached the Institute, and the weather would cooperate for the rest of the trip.
"You're amazing bro," Yugi said.
"I'm pretty amazed myself Yugi. I can't wait to learn all my powers," Yami said.
"The Institute is just the place to do that Yami," Storm said. "We should be there tomorrow."
"I want to stretch my wings. I'll stay in front of the jet," Yami said.
"May I go with you?" Yugi asked.
"Sure you can," Yami responded as he lay down so Yugi could get on.
Yugi climbed on Yami's back, and Yami stood up. Storm opened the door, and Yami flew out. He flew out about one yard in front of the jet. Storm was amazed again to see how gracefully Yami flew. The only bird she knew that could fly that gracefully was an eagle.
'He flies like an eagle,' Storm thought.
Yami didn't come back in to rest until nightfall. Once back in the jet, Yami lay down, and Yugi slept on him. Yami and Storm soon fell asleep themselves. At 9am the next morning, the jet landed at the Institute. The X-men stood outside in wait for Storm, Yami and Yugi to come out. The stairs to the jet came down, and the door opened. Storm walked out followed by Yami with Yugi on his back.
"What is he?" Beast asked.
"I've read about Greek Mythology from books and encyclopedias. Yami is a creature called a Centaur. A Centaur is half person half horse," Xavier responded.
"But what about the horn sticking out from his head Professor?" Jean asked.
"I wasn't born a Centaur. I became one by permanently merging with a unicorn," Yami responded.
"He's right. I have seen some unicorns in my lifetime so I know what they smell like. I can smell the scent of a unicorn from him," Wolverine said.
"He can fly too. He flies as gracefully as an eagle but a lot faster," Storm added.
"Let's get inside and we can get acquainted a little better," Xavier said.
Everyone nodded, and they all went inside the Institute. They went to the Danger Room. It was deactivated for the time being.
"Well Yami and Yugi, I guess that it's time for introductions. As you might have heard, my name is Professor Charles Xavier, and I'm the founder of the X-men. We have worked hard for people and mutants to live in harmony, but there are still those who fear us because of our abilities. For example, Jean Grey here and I are psychics," Xavier said.
"Why are you in that hover chair?" Yami said.
"I used to be a scientist for the armed forces a long time ago. The enemy troops caught us off guard, and I was injured. My legs were beyond repair, and I could never walk again," Xavier responded.
"My name is Scott Summers, but I am better known as Cyclops. I lead the X-men whenever we're on a mission. This visor that I wear over my eyes helps me to control the lasers that I fire from my eyes," Cyclops said.
"What do your eyes look like?" Yugi asked.
"An innocent question deserves an answer," Cyclops responded as he took off his visor for a few seconds before putting it back on.
"No offense, but your eyes look creepy," Yugi said, regretting that he asked.
"None taken Yugi. My eyes have looked like I was possessed by something most of my life," Cyclops said.
"My name is Hank, but I'm better known as the Beast. I was once a science teacher at Cyclops, Jean and Rogue's high school. I still work on experiments, but here at the Institute. I became the Beast by a scientifical experiment gone wrong," Beast said.
"I am known as the Rogue. I wear gloves just about all of the time because I can absorb the energy of a human or another mutant without them on when I touch someone. Also, don't kiss me because I can absorb your energy from that too. Fortunately, the power drain is only temporary. I can fly and I have great strength, but that was from a permanent power drain that I took from a superhero when I was a young woman," Rogue said.
Sensing that Rogue didn't want to talk about that, Yami didn't ask anything about it.
"My name's Logan, but I'm better known as Wolverine. I can heal myself; I can track someone just by scent, and I had claws made from an indestructible material called adamantium built into my hands," Wolverine said.
"I am known as Gambit. I can give anything I touch a charge. I use charged cards as weapons," Gambit said.
"Last but not least, my name is Jubilee. My power is like exploding fireworks. I once did a lot of damage with them, but thanks to Professor Xavier, I can control it. I am so glad to meet a mutant around my age because I'm only 16," Jubilee said.
"You don't say. I'm 16 as well, and my brother Yugi here on my back is 13," Yami said.
"Well, I can tell that Jubilee, Yami and Yugi are going to get along just fine," Jean said smiling.
"They sure are," Cyclops said.
"You and Yami look almost exactly alike apart from Yami being a Centaur and the three-year difference between you Yugi," Rogue said.
"I know. When Yami was still completely human, the only think that told us apart was our heights. Yami was 6' while I'm only 4'6"," Yugi said.
"Now Yami, do you want to get started on your training?" Xavier asked.
"I'm ready Professor," Yami responded. "Time to get off Yugi," he added before lying down.
Yugi got off Yami's back, and Jubilee led him to the living room. Yami felt something odd about Yugi. He would talk about it after his training session. He stood up and prepared to give it a go. Xavier felt that something was on Yami's mind.
"Something's on your mind," Xavier said.
"Yeah, I felt something strange about Yugi," Yami said.
"It seems that you have psychic abilities as well. I also sensed something out of place with him. I'm sure he's feeling it as well. We'll talk to him about it later. Let's get started," Xavier said.
Yami nodded, and the Professor went to the control part of the room. He activated the room at the medium level since it was clear that Yami would have no trouble with the easy level. Holding off the typhoon and easily defeating a sentinel proved that. The easy level was the sentinels anyway. Yami ran through the room when buzz saws came out of the walls. Yami put a force field around himself as he galloped on.
The saws were destroyed on contact with the force field. Ten minutes later, the saws stopped coming, and Yami removed his force field. Then the walls and ceiling started closing in on him. He ran fast and hard. He ended up barging right through the wall with no problem at all.
"Very impressive Yami. You're doing this as if you've done it before. This is the medium level, and you're making it look very easy," Xavier said.
"If this is medium, I would love to try the hard level," Yami said. "I haven't even broken a sweat yet."
"Very well Yami," Xavier said as he set the level on hard.
The room had laser beams going in every direction going halfway through. Past there, there were robots equipped with laser and chemical energy, lasers that shot out from the wall and disintegrating rays and white laser guns hanging from the ceiling. Yami started off by using his force field again to run through the laser beam area. Once he was halfway through the room, the other traps came at once.
Yami spread his wings and flew into the air. He destroyed the laser guns and disintegration rays first with a charge of electricity. The lasers fired at him from the walls, and the robots came for him. He closed his eyes in concentration for a powerful attack. A white glow outlined his body. Soon, the white glow turned golden as he focused his fire energy into his laser energy.
Then he spread his attack out. The lasers from the walls and robots were only absorbed in the attack. The lasers were disarmed, and the robots were destroyed. Yami landed, and the room reverted back to normal. He went outside, and the Professor soon joined him.
"That was an impressive display of skill and power Yami. I've never seen anyone as strong and powerful as you before," Xavier said. "Let's head to the living room."
Yami nodded, and they went to the living room. They found Yugi and Jubilee just talking away.
"I see that you two are getting along quite well," Yami said smiling.
"Yeah, Yugi was just telling me about where you and he lived. It must be paradise to live in a beautiful forest," Jubilee said.
"It is for the most part," Yami said. "The Professor and I need to talk with you Yugi."
"Okay," Yugi said as Xavier led them to his room.
"Yugi, have you felt weird at all today?" Xavier asked.
"Now that you mention it, I had a weird feeling that began when I was on the jet. It feels like something's growing inside me like a flower getting ready to bloom. I'm wondering if I"m a mutant as well," Yugi responded.
"That could be the case Yugi," Yami said.
"But what is my power?" Yugi asked.
"We'll have to wait until it blooms to find out," Yami responded.
Meanwhile, the scientists at the sentinel factory were planning an attack on the Institute. They had heard about the newest mutant joining forces with the X-men. To them, all mutants were a plague that needed to be vanquished forever.
"You have your orders my creations. Attack the Xavier Institute and destroy the mutants there," the head scientist said.
"As you command master," the sentinels said. The group of six sentinels headed for the Xavier Institute to carry out their orders.
Meanwhile, Yugi felt that his power could come to the surface at any time. He and everyone at the Institute wondered what his power could be. They only got another few hours of peace before the door was blasted open. The next thing to come off was the roof. The X-men looked up to see a sentinel crush the roof. Everyone fled the building, but only got outside as the six sentinels surrounded them.
"Destroy the mutants," the sentinels said as they all fired at once.
Yami protected everyone with his force field. A mutant would usually strain hard to keep up a shield with six sentinels firing at once, but Yami held the force field up effortlessly. The sentinels ceased their fire since it clearly wasn't going to put a dent in Yami's shield.
"Be ready to attack everyone. Yami, the moment you take off your shield is the moment we all attack," Cyclops said.
"You got it Cyclops," Yami said. He took off his force field and started the attack.
Everyone except Yugi also joined the attack. Their separate powers and abilities helped them to destroy the sentinels. But that wasn't the end of it as reinforcements came. This group had three times as many sentinels and provided more of a challenge for them. The X-men found themselves outnumbered. Yugi felt helpless as the sentinels started to gain the upper hand over the battle.
"I wish I could do something. I have to help my friends," Yugi said in desperation. Then he felt something bloom inside of him. He was bathed in yellow light and he fired two solar beams at two of the sentinels' heads.
The sentinels fell down and ceased functioning. The other X-men had seen what happened.
"Yugi, you have solar power," Yami said.
"Let's take care of these dim bots," Yugi said.
"I like your attitude Yugi," Wolverine said.
"I agree. Let's show these tin cans that they can't fool around with us," Yami said.
"Yeah, let's get them," Jubilee said.
The battle raged on for half an hour. Then, the one sentinel who didn't take part in the battle suddenly grabbed Yugi and Jubilee. That caught them both off guard. The sentinel then used sleeping gas so Yugi and Jubilee wouldn't struggle. Then it flew off.
"Yugi! Jubilee!" the X-men cried.
"The sentinel is probably heading back to its base," Jean said.
"We must stop it," Yami said.
"I agree Yami," Cyclops said. "We have to act now."
"And as fast as possible. As Storm told you, I can fly faster than your jet," Yami said.
"Yami can go on ahead. The rest of us will follow in the Blackbird," Xavier said.
Yami nodded and spread his wings. He quickly flew off to stop the sentinel from reaching its base. He easily got within five yards of the sentinel. 'Now to give Yugi and Jubilee a wake up call,' he thought. He fired a stream of white magic from his mind at Yugi and Jubilee.
Yugi and Jubilee felt the magic and soon woke up.
"What happened?" Yugi asked.
"The last thing I remember is the sentinel grabbing us and spraying sleep gas on us," Jubilee responded.
Yugi looked behind the sentinel and saw Yami trailing it. "Yami's behind the sentinel," he mouthed to Jubilee.
Jubilee got the message. The sentinel didn't know that Yami was following it yet.
'Well, it is time that I let it know where I am,' Yami thought. "Hey you big pile of cylinders, look behind you!" he said.
The sentinel looked back and saw Yami following it. It prepared to fire lasers from its eyes.
"Oh no you don't!" Yugi and Jubilee shouted as they fired at its eyes.
That was both a good move and a bad move. The sentinel couldn't fire, but it couldn't see where it was going either.
'Oh no, the sentinel's blind! I've got to get Yugi and Jubilee now!' Yami thought.
If the sentinel being blind wasn't bad enough, the shot it took in the eyes badly damaged it's interior power core. It shut down and began to plummet to the ground far below.
"Yugi, Jubilee, use your powers to get free!" Yami said, as he dove after them.
Yugi and Jubilee complied and destroyed the sentinel's hands. Yami disintegrated the remainder of the sentinel. Soon, he caught Jubilee in his arms, and Yugi on his back. He broke the dive and flew for the Blackbird. He met up with it half an hour later. Rogue flew over, and Yami placed Jubilee in her arms.
"Are you two all right?" Yami asked.
"Yes we are. Thank you for saving Yugi and me," Jubilee responded.
"It was nothing," Yami said.
The group then headed for the ruined Institute. They arrived in an additional twenty minutes and landed.
"What are we going to do now," Storm asked.
"Don't worry. I'll fix it up," Yami responded. He flew over the destroyed complex and waved his tail.
A violet stream of magic flowed through it and covered the Institute. A few minutes later, the Institute was as good as new. Yami landed just outside the door.
"Well Yugi, now we know what your power is. You have the power of the sun in you," Xavier said.
"Yeah, but I don't have complete control over it yet," Yugi said. "I can't feel it anymore."
"That's how my powers once started out Yugi. They would surface whenever they felt like it. With training, you can control your powers like I can control mine now," Jubilee said.
Cyclops put an arm around Yugi, and his other arm around Yami. "Welcome to the X-men. You're part of us now," he said.
"I am honored to be one of you," Yugi said, as Cyclops helped him off Yami.
"As am I," Yami agreed.



End of Chapter two. Preview for Chapter 3: Run in with Magneto: Yugi learns to control his powers as he and Yami train in the Danger Room. There, an amazing discovery is made. Yugi and Yami are like Gemini. Their love for each other makes them stronger and more powerful. In other words, their love is their bond. Magneto, the still archenemy of the X-men, happens to come across them one day. He offers that they join him. What will their reaction be? You'll find out when the chapter comes out.

Oh and to Saisaishi: Having Yugi be a mutant who can turn into any animal he wishes was too typical to me. That's being done so much now, that you expect it. I'm trying to do something that isn't so predictable. Even if it seems like I'm doing the same stuff in my stories as others, I'm not because I add a different twist to them.