Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Mutant Family ❯ Lost in the Real Savage Lands ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Recap: Yami took Yugi and Jubilee riding while waiting for his and Yugi's appointment in the Danger Room. A group of sentinels spoiled their peace, but they made quick work of the sentinels. They enjoyed the rest of the flight in peace. At 1pm, Yugi and Yami trained together in the Danger Room. Yugi controlled his powers with a little brotherly love. The next day, Yugi and Yami ran into Magneto while on a flight. They defeated him for the moment and headed back to the Institute.
/ is mental talk between Yami, Jean and Professor Xavier
' is thoughts





Chapter 4: Lost in the Real Savage Lands

Yugi and Yami had got to know Beast and Jubilee a lot better than when they introduced themselves. Yugi, Yami and Jubilee found out that they had a lot in common. Jubilee had told them when she was the prime target of the sentinels, and Yami told her how his and Yugi's father died at the hand of a sentinel.
"It seems that you three have a lot in common now as far as the sentinels go," Beast said.
"We do, but we all have another thing in common. We take things one step at a time," Yugi said.
Beast, Yami and Jubilee nodded at that. By mid afternoon, thick storm clouds started to roll in suggesting a big storm approaching.
"We better all get inside the Institute. It will be safe than this stable. This is going to be a doozy of a storm," Beast said.
The others nodded and headed for the Institute. The storm started quicker than all four of them expected by a lightning bolt crashing down right in front of Yugi. Yugi got blown back twenty feet. Another bolt came right down at him. Yami got in front of him and got struck instead, falling to the ground unconscious.
"Yami!" Yugi cried.
Then, a psychic shield came over them. Yami was lifted off the ground.
"Hurry inside. I've got Yami so don't worry," Jean said.
The others nodded and ran inside the Institute. The other X-men were very worried upon seeing Yami's unconscious state.
"What happened?" Gambit asked.
"The storm caught us just as we headed back here. Yugi would've been struck if Yami didn't get in front of him. He saved Yugi's life by taking the bolt himself," Jubilee responded.
"I just hope he can heal himself like I can," Wolverine said.
"I sense that he's doing just that Logan. The lightning made a direct strike so it's going to take time for him to completely heal himself. I can also sense that the lightning was at 1/2 its devastating activity so Yami got hit with a lot of electricity. He'll be out until it's time to sleep," Xavier said.
"I'm just glad he's all right," Yugi said before lying down next to Yami.
"I'll help you keep watch over Yami," Storm said.
Yugi nodded, and Storm sat on the couch. As the hours went by, Yami's ragged breathing because steady and the electricity in his body lost more of its intensity. By about three hours after nightfall, Yami regained consciousness. He was completely healed and doing fine.
"Are you all right big bro?" Yugi asked.
"Yes Yugi. I'm fine," Yami responded. "I need to rest though. Healing myself can take a lot out of me depending on how intense I got wounded, and this was probably the most intense it gets," he added yawning.
Storm got up and got a few blankets for Yugi, Yami and herself. She put one of the blankets on Yami, and he fell asleep right away.
"Whoa, I've never seen him fall asleep that fast. Healing himself really must've taken a lot out of him," Yugi said.
"He was struck by lightning Yugi. Lightning is the second highest weather killer," Storm said.
"What's the first?" he asked.
"Floods," she responded.
About two hours later, Storm and Yugi put their blankets over them and fell asleep as well. The storm had passed out of the area as well. The only damage was done to the trees. Fortunately, none fell on the Institute. It was going to be a peaceful night.
Meanwhile, a group of renegade mutants got together to plan an attack on the Institute. Among the mutants in the group were Mystique, Sabertooth, the Blob, Avalanche, Juggernaut and the half mutant half robotic Brainchild (A/N: If you haven't watched the X-men cartoon where the X-men, except Jubilee, and the renegade mutants were all grown up, then you don't know who Brainchild is. I remember seeing him almost get the best of the X-men the time they encountered him).
"We need to find a way to get rid of the X-men permanently," Juggernaut said.
"Why don't I just squish them?" Blob asked.
"It's going to take more than that you brainless living Jell-O," Mystique responded.
"Mystique is right," Sabertooth said.
They schemed on how they could get rid of the X-men. Meanwhile in the Savage Lands, the scientists there were scheming the exact same thing. The last time, the X-men were almost destroyed. They set to work on a teleportation device. It would take two months to complete, but to them two months was a small amount of time to wait.
As the days passed, Yugi, Yami and the other X-men got to know each other very well. Yugi and Yami got even closer in love and became the most powerful of all the X-men. They also got to see more of the city due to Jubilee and Jean taking time away from the Institute to show them around. Of course Yami provided the transportation. The people of the city were starting to gain a little more respect for certain mutants now too.
They saw how much Yugi and Yami loved each other by their strong cooperation with each other. It was a small step forward as far as human and mutant harmony. Things would happen one step at a time. The days turned to weeks, and the weeks turned into months. It had been two months since Yami and Yugi arrived at the institute and became X-men, and the other X-men wanted to do something special for them.
"It's been two months since Yugi and Yami became one of us. We need to do something really nice for them," Jubilee said. "It's a good thing that they're away on a flight right now so we can decorate and get ready."
"I know. This is a time that I'm extremely glad they went flying. We'd be busted if they didn't," Rogue said.
The other X-men made the Danger Room in to a fun room with games and activities. The food was ready. They all finished in an hour and waited for Yami and Yugi to return. Jubilee stood outside in wait. Yami and Yugi returned two hours later.
"That was the most peaceful flight you've taken me on so far," Yugi said.
"Yes it was," Yami agreed.
"Hey you two. Come on in," Jubilee said.
Yugi hopped off Yami's back, and they went inside. The lights were off, so they couldn't see anything.
"Where is everyone?" Yugi asked.
The lights came on, revealing the nicely decorated room.
"Wha-what?" Yugi asked.
"Surprise!" the other X-men shouted.
"What's all this for?" Yami asked.
"We just wanted to do something special for you and Yugi for being with us for two months," Storm responded.
"This is a day of fun so enjoy it," Cyclops said.
Yugi nodded happily and ran into the current fun room. Yami was close behind. The first thing they noticed was a billiard table. There was a stepping block for Yugi to stand on if he wanted to play. Yugi grabbed a stick and stood on the block. Yami, Gambit and Wolverine soon joined them.
"We'll play teams. It will be Wolverine and I vs. you and Yami," Gambit said.
"We'll do our best. We never played billiards before," Yugi said.
"We'll let you go first," Wolverine said.
Yami nodded and took the first shot. A striped ball went into the side pocket on the left.
"By hitting the striped ball into the pocket, that means that you will be aiming at the striped balls while Wolverine and I aim at the solid color ones. When you've hit all your balls in the pockets, then you go for the 8 ball. Be careful not to bounce it off the table and onto the floor though because that is an automatic lose."
The game went on for a while. Wolverine and Gambit didn't want to just end the game quickly. They were experienced at billiards and could've heen through in ten minutes tops, but they wanted to be easy on Yami and Yugi because they were having some difficulty. After a while though, Yami and Yugi got the hang of it and did very well. That's when Gambit and Wolverine gave it their all. It was close, but Gambit and Wolverine squeaked by with the victory.
"That was a great game you two. You almost won. Not bad for your first time," Gambit said.
Suddenly, they felt an earthquake. They and the others rushed outside the Institute. They found a group of mutants ready to take them on.
"Sabertooth," Wolverine said harshly.
"Mystique," Rogue said just as harsly.
The renegade mutants were confused when they saw Yugi and Yami, especially Yami.
"Who are those two?" Mystique asked.
"This is Yami and his younger brother Yugi, the two newest members of the X-men," Beast responded.
"Well, that won't matter for long. Once we get through with you, there won't be X-men anymore," Juggernaut said before charging at Yugi.
Yugi fired solar beams at Juggernaut. They had little effect.
"Is that all you got little boy?" Juggernaut asked mockingly.
"No one calls my brother little boy and gets away with it," Yami said. He used his psychic abilities to lift Juggernaut up and forcefully bring him down.
The hard impact had more effect on him. Not only that, but it also got his helmet a little loose.
"Why you little freak!" Juggernaut said angrily and charged at Yami.
Yami simply spread his wings and jumped into the air. While in the air, he kicked Juggernaut in he back with his hind legs. Juggernaut went crashing into a tree. The impact knocked the tree down and flung his helmet off. Professor X then mentally stunned him. The battle raged on with neither side gaining a big upper hand over the other. The X-men were both offensive and defensive. They were offensive by fighting back and devensive by protecting each other.
Suddenly, the X-men got teleported away. They reappeared in the one place that was their worst nightmare, the Savage Lands. The last encounter was still fresh in their memory.
"We'd best stay together here. This place hides many dangers," Xavier said.
The others nodded, and they went through the jungle. A few hours later, they set camp for the night. Yugi used his powers to create a fire so the others could cook the food they brought back. There were edible fruits and fish in a nearby lake to pick/catch and eat. Half an hour after eating, Storm created a little rain cloud to put the fire out, and everyone prepared to sleep. Yugi put a solar force field over everyone to both him/her warm in the cool night, and prevent a possible sneak attack during the night. He then fell asleep himself.
It was a good thing that he put up the force field too. For only an hour afterwards, the natives attempted to capture them. The solar force field couldn't be broken though, and the natives went away. It was peaceful for the X-men the rest of the night. The next morning, they awakened, and Yugi took off the field.
"Thanks Yugi. Your shield kept us warm all night," Cyclops said.
"It also prevented a capture," Jean said.
"I felt them too," Yami said.
"As did I. The natives tried to capture us last night but couldn't because of the force field," Xavier said.
Suddenly, they felt sonic vibrations. It seemed like it came from every direction to them. A familiar female voice commanded them to sleep. All the X-men except Yami were being affected by it. They held their heads in pain trying to resist but to no avail.
"Yugi, resist her. I know you can," Yami said.
"I'm trying to Yami," Yugi said.
"Clear your mind of all other thoughts and focus on resisting her," Yami said.
Yugi complied, and he no longer felt the vibrations upon him. The other X-men weren't so lucky because they all fell asleep. Then the strange woman came to see all but two X-men asleep.
"How come you're not asleep like the others?" she asked.
"That I still do not understand. You're powers will not affect us anymore," Yami responded.
"We'll see about that," she said as she made the vibrations a little stronger.
Yami and Yugi looked at her as if saying, "Is that all you got?"
"Take the other X-men," she said as the natives and a big fat green thing that was half robotic came out.
"Who are you?" Yugi asked the green thing.
"I am Brainchild, and I will be taking your friends now," the green thing responded.
Yugi and Yami saw that they were greatly outnumbered.
"Yami, the only way to rescue them is not to be captured ourselves," Yugi said.
"I'm afraid you're right little bro. Get on," Yami said as Yugi got on. He stood up, spread his wings and took off into the sky. He didn't want to do it, but he didn't want himself and Yugi to be captured either. He hoped to keep mental contact with Xavier and/or Jean.
About fifteen minutes later, the natives brought the captured X-men to the laboratory.
"How did it go?" James, the head scientist of the Savage Lands asked.
"We captured all but two of the X-men. For some reason, those two were able to resist me," the woman responded.
"That is interesting news indeed. They will come soon enough though. They'll surely try to rescue their comrades," James said.
Meanwhile, Yami landed deep in the Savage Lands. He told Yugi to stay on him and walked on. It didn't take too long to realize that they were completely lost. Yami walked on anyway. About an hour later, the X-men woke up from their force sleep. They found themselves in a cell. They couldn't feel their powers and saw collars on their necks.
"I see that you found out that the collars on your neck drain your powers," James siad.
"What do you want with us?" Wolverine asked harshly.
"Either join me in taking over the world, or spend the rest of your lives as ordinary people," James responded.
"We would never join you," Cyclops said.
"Then, those collars will make you as ordinary as any normal human forever," James said.
"No they won't," Rogue said as she tried to take hers off. She got an electrical shock as a result.
"I advise that you don't try that again," James said before leaving the laboratory. He made sure to take the remote that could remove the collars so no one could free them.
"What are we going to do now?" Jubilee asked.
"Yugi and Yami must've gotten away. They're our only hope now," Gambit responded.
"But they don't know where we are," Storm said.
"They will very soon," Jean said.
"How?" Beast asked.
"Jean and I can still communicate mentally. Yami's also psychic so we can mentally tell him where we are and guide him here," Xavier responded. /Yami, can you hear me?/ he asked.
Yami and Yugi were still lost. They had no idea where to turn.
"We would've been better off still in the air," Yugi said.
"I know..." Yami started to say when he heard Xavier in his mind.
/Yami, can you hear me?/
/Yes Professor, I hear you/ Yami responded.
"Yami, what is it?" Yugi asked.
"Shh, the Professor is mentally talking to me," Yami responded. /Where are you?/
/The other X-men and I are in a laboratory on the east part of the Savage Lands. We have collars on our necks that drained us of our powers. But Jean and I can still talk mentally/ Xavier responded.
/We'll guide you here/ Jean said.
/Okay/ Yami said. "I need you to stay quiet for a while Yugi. Jean and the Professor are going to mentally give me directions to the laboratory that they and the others are being kept," he added.
"All right Yami," Yugi said.
/Okay guys, I'm ready/ Yami said as he took off into the air. He followed the directions to the hilt and arrived at the laboratory an hour later.
"Let's get them out of there," Yugi said.
Yami nodded and went inside. They found the others in a cell.
"I'll have you free in a second," Yugi said before melting the bars with his solar powers.
The others came out of the melted down cell.
"Thank you Yugi. I felt like a prisoner in there," Jubilee said as the others nodded.
Yugi moved to take her collar off. He got shocked in doing so. "What is this thing?" he asked.
"The head scientist put these things on us. As you found out, trying to remove them only results in getting shocked," Jubilee responded. "He took the only thing that could get these collars off us," she added.
"We have to find him then," Yami said.
"No need to. I saw you on my way back here," James said from behind.
Yami turned around and saw him. "Who are you?" he asked.
"I am James, head scientist of the Savage Lands," James responded. "It's time for your powers to be drained as well, starting with the young one," he added as he threw a collar at Yugi's neck.
"Not you don't,' Yami said as he destroyed it with an energy beam from his horn. He soon felt a collar connect to him from behind.
"Looks like you weren't fast enough," James said smirking. He then saw that the collar didn't light up. "How can you still have your powers?" he asked.
"Very simple. I'm apparently more powerful than this collar of yours is. I felt it short circuit as soon as it locked onto me," Yami responded as he tore the collar off. "Now, let's get out of here," he said to the X-men.
The X-men nodded, and they ran out the lab wth Yami in front. Suddenly, the other X-men felt a big electrical shock. They fell to their knees in pain.
"What happened?" Yugi asked.
"I happened. They can't get away from the collars," James responded with the remote in hand.
/Yami, you have to get that remote control away from him/ Jean said.
/I'll figure out a way Jean. Don't worry/ Yami said.
Then Brainchild stepped next to James. "What do you want me to do master?" he asked.
"Take care of those two mutants so I can continue with my plans," James responded before leaving.
"As you wish master," Brainchild said before firing an energy wave at Yami and Yugi.
"How are we going to stop that?" Yugi asked.
"By focusing our powers in the center of it," Yami responded. "Use your solar rays, and I'll combine my fire and laser energy into them."
Yugi fired solar rays at the center of the wave. Yami combined his energies into the rays, easily destroying the wave.
"Yugi, I'll deal with Brainchild. You try to get that remote and free the others," Yami said.
"Okay," Yugi said and jumped off Yami's back. He headed in the direction James went it. He found James and the other X-men half an hour later.
James tortured the X-men by giving them electrical shocks with the collars. Yugi knew he had to find a way to make James leave the remote behind long enough for him to free the others. The bush behind James gave Yugi an idea. Yugi used his solar rays and set the bush on fire. James panicked when he saw the fire. He dropped the remote and went to get some water to put out the fire.
'All right, it worked,' Yugi thought. He came from behind the tree and took the remote. "How do I release you now?" he asked.
"There's a button that says release collars," Jubilee responded.
Yugi saw the button and pressed it. The collars fell from around the X-men, and their powers were restored. Then Yugi destroyed the remote and the collars.
"Excellent work Yugi," Storm said before putting the bush fire out. "Where's Yami?" she asked.
"He's fighting Brainchild," Yugi responded.
"Let us hurry then," Cyclops said.
Yugi led the way back to the fight, and they arrived in half an hour. They saw that Yami did very well against Brainchild. Brainchild's robotic half was starting to fail because of extensive damage. He soon just fell down paralyzed form that damage. Yami looked back and saw Yugi with the now free X-men.
"Good work Yugi. You did it," Yami said.
"And you did good work with Brainchild as well," Yugi said.
"You might've released the X-men and defeated Brainchild, but you still aren't getting out of here," James said with the teleportation device in hand.
"That's what you think," Yami said as he telepathically made the device teleport himself and the other X-men back to the Institute. He then sent a destruct command, and the device disintegrated to dust.
The renegade mutants were no longer at the Institute suggesting that they didn't want to wait to continue the fight, which was very good news.
"You did very well Yugi and Yami. We couldn't have made it out alive without you," Xavier said.
"We were only helping out friends in need," Yugi said.
"I think we can all use some rest," Yami said as he made the decorations disappear and reverted the Danger Room back to normal.
"That we can," Wolverine agreed as he and the others went to their respective rooms.
Yugi just lay next to Yami. Everyone rested for the remainder of the day and slept at nightfall. They were all very tired and could use a good night's rest, especially after what happened today.




Another chapter out of the way. Preview for Chapter 5: Sentinel Infiltration: The X-men are enjoying a peaceful stroll through the city. The people give them friendly greetings as they just stroll. While strolling through the city, the sentinels attack. This time, they successfully capture Yugi and take him back to their base.


To BlueFox: You were VERY rude with your review, and that's why I had it removed. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a rude person and I will not tolerate it from you or anyone. And X-men:Evolution is not the cartoon I'm talking about. I doubt you've seen the X-men cartoon from 1995 because that's the one. Seeing Jubilee's name should've given you some clue that I don't mean X-men: Evolution.