Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Mutant Family ❯ Running out of Time ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: Yami, Yugi and Storm were out enjoying a peaceful flight when a strange eclipse occurred. What was even weirder was that Yugi got considerably weaker because of it. When the X-men got some unexpected but good company, they then found out the culprit behind the eclipse. It was Yami's arch rival Seto Kaiba, now known as Eclipse. Yugi and Yami found themselves captured and taken to a world of pitch black darkness. Now Yugi's only means of survival is from Yami's light.
/ is mental talk between Yami, Jen and Professor X
' is thoughts






Chapter 7: Running out of Time

Apocalypse sent Yugi and Yami to a world of absolute darkness. Because there wasn't even an ounce of light, Yugi weakened considerably because he had solar powers. Yami quickly helped by bathing himself in light for Yugi to draw energy from. Yami walked through the world with Yugi riding his back.
"Do you think we'll make it out of here?" Yugi asked.
"Yes I do. It will take more that this to stop me," Yami responded.
They were in one of the mazes that Eclipse talked about. The only good thing about this world is that there were no traps. It was so long, that there wasn't a need for any traps because the people who were trapped would die from starvation and malnourishment. There was food and water in the world, but finding it was no walk down easy street. Yami stopped a few minutes later becausehe smelled water.
"What is it Yami?" Yugi asked.
"I smell fresh water nearby," Yami responded.
"I didn't think that there would be water in a world like this," Yugi said.
"Looks can be deceiving little bro. Besides, I have heightened senses, especially my sense of smell. Remember that," Yami said. He followed his nose and came to the water source a few minutes later.
Yugi hopped off Yami's back, and Yami lay down next to the water. They both drank their fill because they were pretty thirsty. Then Yami saw a ground of fair-sized trout swimming in the water. He created a spear line. He waited a couple of minutes and then he threw the spear into the water. The spear hit its mark, and Yami pulled in the fish. He took the now dead fish off the spear, and Yugi used his powers to cook it.
"Nice fishing big bro," Yugi said.
"Thanks Yugi. That was my first time actually," Yami said.
"Well, you are a fast learner after all," Yugi said.
"As are you," Yami said.
They ate the cooked fish. Half an hour later, Yugi climbed on Yami's back, and Yami walked off again. Yami caught a bunch of trout to take with them just in case they couldn't find food when they needed it. He created a bag that would keep the fish fresh. He didn't know that he already had finding food in the bag. For in this world, if you found water, you always found food as well.
Meanwhile, the X-men wondered what happened to Yugi and Yami. Jean went inside the stable to find it empty. It was clearly evident that something happened to Yami and Yugi because their food was still in there. She immediately told the others.
"I just wish we knew what happened to them," Jubilee said.
"I know what you mean Jubilee," Morph said.
"I saw some kind of green light. When I got to the area, the light was gone, and so was what created it," Cyclops said.
"Did you say green light?" Professor X asked.
"Yes I did Professor," Cyclops responded.
"Apocalypse took them," the Professor said.
"Are you certain?" Jean asked.
"Yes Jean. I'm certain," Professor X responded. /Yami, are you there?/ he asked.
/Yes Professor, I can hear you/ Yami responded.
/Where are you?/ Professor X asked.
/Yugi and I got sent to a completely dark world. The only way Yugi can survive is my being a light source to him/ Yami responded.
"What did you find out Professor?" Storm asked.
"Yami said that he and Yugi are in a world of absolute darkness and that there is no light whatsoever," the Professor responded.
"It's a good thing they're together. Yami can keep his brother strong," Beast said.
"That's what Yami said," Professor X said.
"We can only hope that they return safely," Rogue added.
The others nodded and hoped for Yami and Yugi's safe return. Meanwhile, Apocalypse and Eclipse were scheming how to rid themselves of the X-men. With Yami and Yugi in the dark world, they knew that they could easily take out the others since Yami and Yugi were the most powerful of them.
"We can't pass up the golden opportunity we created master. With their two most powerful members out of the way, we can easily overpower them," Eclipse said.
"Yes my loyal servant, we can. We have to divide them. Even though we are more powerful than they are, they are pretty powers together," Apocalypse said.
"I get it. We're going to perform the old 'Divide and Conquer' routine," Eclipse said.
"Yes we are. It may be old, but it works more times than none," Apocalypse said. "Now, we have to figure out how to separated them. Once we do, we attack at full force."
Meanwhile, Yami had successfully made it through one maze in only an hour. One thing that he and Yugi shared was a good sense of direction. If eithre one of them got lost, then they wouldn't stay lost for long because they had always managed to get back on track. This case is no exception. They worked together to get out of the maze. They saw a stone tablet before the entrance of the next maze.
The tablet read: You're lucky if you made it to only this maze because very few have gotten out of the first maze. This maze is twice as long as the first so expect to be here for a while. The only word of caution is to look out for the pitfalls due to the earthquakes here.
"Well, we have to tread more carefully than we did the first maze Yami," Yugi said.
"Yes we do Yugi," Yami agreed, "but not before we get some rest. I can sense that it's night here."
Yugi nodded and hopped off Yami's back. He lay down next to Yami, and Yami laid down himself. Yami dimmed his light to a regular level before he fell asleep with Yugi. The dimmed light didn't affect the way Yugi drew his energy; Yami dimmed the light so they would both be able to sleep without a bright light waking them up. They slept without problems the entire night. Yami was the first to awaken the next morning.
"Wake up Yugi," Yami said before brightening his light again.
Yugi awakened and Yami made the bag of fish appear. He took some out, and Yugi cooked it with his powers. Then they walked through the maze. Yugi stayed close to Yami. They walked for an hour, but only got through a quarter of the maze because they took a wrong turn after making it to the halfway point fairly quickly and ended up back at the entrance when they got turned around.
"Well we know not to go that way again. We would've been father if we did....Aaahhh!" Yugi said, falling into one of the recently created pitfalls.
"Gotcha!" Yami said, bending down as he firmly gripped Yugi's hand just in time.
Yugi shook in fright, even though Yami had his hand.
"It's all right Yugi. I've gotcha," Yami said.
Yugi calmed down a little, and Yami pulled him up. Yugi still breathed pretty hard. He jumped at Yami, wrapping his arms around Yami's neck. Yami embraced his little brother. In all honesty, he didn't blame how Yugi reacted. He [Yami] probably would have reacted the same way if he didn't have wings.
"Calm down Yugi. You're safe now. I won't let anything happen to you," Yami said, continuing to embrace Yugi.
Yugi finally calmed down after half an hour. "Thanks Yami. I'm ready now," he said.
"Anytime little bro," Yami said.
Then they continued through the maze. They reached the halfway point in half an hour. The halfway point was a split path. The right path lead them back to the entrance, so they knew to take the left one. Sure, enough, they were out of the twice as long maze in an hour.
"I can't believe that it took us an hour to make it out of here. This maze was supposed to be longer than the first," Yugi said.
"Apocalypse isn't the one to fool anyone about something like this Yugi. I think that we found a shorter way through this maze," Yami said.
"I think you're right," Yugi confirmed. "We need to get out of here though. Our friends will be a Apocalypse's mercy if we don't."
"I know Yugi. That's why we will get out of here and stop Apocalypse," Yami said.
Back on earth, Apocalypse was just about ready to carry out his scheme. He bargained with the rogue mutants to help him with his divide and conquer technique. The bargain was the enslavement of the human race for helping to conquer the X-men. The rogue mutants willingly accepted the bargain. They found enslaving the human race very appealing. He also had Brainchild and the strange female mutant join him.
"The X-men won't stand a chance against us after we separate them," Eclipse said.
"They'll outnumber us just a little, but my sonic powers can easily make up for that," the strange female mutant said.
"Good idea. When you take care of one of the X-men, I'll have my teleport machine take you to where another one is," Apocalypse said. "We need to do this as soon as possible because I can sense that the brothers have made it through the third maze already," he added.
"How can this be?" Eclipse said.
"Call them extremely lucky," Apocalypse said. "But they have one more maze before the greatest challenge happens. The world may only have four mazes, but they still won't be out of the world."
"Yeah, the dark world is tens of thousands of miles across. It will take them weeks to get out," Eclipse said.
"I just thought of something else. They might have been able to find the short way out of the three mazes. But there will be no shorter way out once they make it out of the fourth maze," Brainchild said.
Brainchild was right about one thing. Yami and Yugi did find the shorter ways out of the first three mazes. They did the same with the fourth maze, making it out in only 45 minutes. Then they saw a tablet on a pedestal.
The tablet read: You are exceptionally good if you have made it this far. But that will most definitely end here. Now the biggest challenge comes. Even after going through the four mazes, you aren't close to being 1/4 of the way out of this world yet.
"Well, we better get going. This will be the longest distance we had to cover in our lives," Yami said, transporting Yugi to his back.
Meanwhile, the renegade mutants, Apocalypse, Eclipse and Brainchile began to put their plot in action. Apocalypse teleported the X-men to separate parts of his large space ship. The X-men were completely separated from one another. Cyclops made his way through the enormous ship, trying to find his friends. He didn't make it that far before the strange female mutant confronted him.
"You will not leave this ship," the mutant said.
"That is where you're wrong," Cyclops retorted.
"We'll see," the mutant said. She used her sonic powers on Cyclops.
Just like what happened in the Savage Lands, Cyclops went unconscious. The female mutant smirked. Because Yami and Yugi were occupied somewhere else, the divide and conquer technique would be a huge success. Apocalypse sensed that she was done and teleported her to another part of the ship to await another one of the X-men.
Professor X had come face to face with Magneto. He also wandered through the ship in search for the others.
"Well Charles, it looks like we meet again. But this will be the last time," Magneto said.
"Eric, why are you doing this?" Professor X asked.
"I'm doing this because the enslavement of humans has been my greatest desire. A desire that I will finally have," Magneto responded. Enough talk Charles. It's time to see which one of us is the strongest." He fired a magnetic beam at Professor X.
The Professor got out of the way with no time to spare. He knew that he had to outlast Magneto because he could sense barriers around Magneto's mind. 'This must be Apocalypse's doing. He must've found a way to protect the mind from psychics,' he thought.
Back in the dark world, Yami and Yugi hadn't gotten that far at all. They had stopped to sleep because Yami had walked until nightfall. So far it has been a full twelve hours and they weren't even close to being 1/4 of the way out of the world yet. They awakened the next morning and ate the last of the fish they had. They knew that they had to find food soon.
A few hours later, Yami smelled water again. He found a large river a few minutes later. This river was bittersweet. It provided them with the food and water they needed, but this river flowed a great distance.
"Can I try to catch a fish Yami?" Yugi asked.
"Of course Yugi," Yami responded before creating the spear line again. He gave it to Yugi.
There were a lot of trout, salmon, snapper and catfist swimming around. Yugi waited for the right moment before throwing the spear into the river. He was off, but ont by much. He pulled the spear back up.
"Nice try Yugi. You were very close. Next time, wait for the fist to stop before you throw the spear. You'll most likely miss if you throw the spear while the fish is still moving," Yami said.
Yugi nodded and gave it another try. He waited for the fish to stop before throwing the spear. This time, he was successful and caught two fish, a salmon and a snapper on the spear.
"Nice going Yugi. You did a better than me that time," Yami said.
"Thanks Yami, but I have you to thank because you showed me how to do it," Yugi said. He ended up catching a lot more fish, and Yami put them in a magical bag again.
"Now, let's clear this river," Yami said. He spread his wings and made a path over the large river.
The river was very long. By nightfall, the only thing that they saw continued to be river. Luckily though, there were banks on both sides to rest on. Yami landed on the bank, and Yugi dismounted him.
"We covered quite a bit of ground, but it seems like we only went ten feet," Yugi said.
"I agree Yugi. This world is very long. We probably still aren't 1/4 of the way through. But we have to get out in order to rescue our friends," Yami said.
"I just hope it's not too late when we do get out," Yugi said.
That was the big concern right now. Yugi and Yami still had a ridiculously long way to go. Meanwhile, the X-men weren't faring so well against Apocalypse and his band of renegade mutants. Storm, Jubilee and Rogue were the only ones that weren't captured yet. After barely escaping their opponents, they met up and decided to stay together.
"I hope that we can find the others before getting captured ourselves," Jubilee said.
"We all do Jubilee," Rogue said. She carried Jubilee through the air with Storm flying beside her. "If we get captured, then our only hop is that Yami and Yugi make it out of the dark world in time."
"I have faith that they will make it out in time. I have never seen determination like they have. It's like a raging fire that cannot be put out," Storm said.
Meanwhile, Yami and Yugi slept for the night after having their dinner. They were determined to make it out of the world in time. The river was only about an additional ten miles long. The end of the long river was actually 1/4 of the way through the world. One-quarter of the way through the world meant that 10,000 miles had been covered.
Needless to say that Yami was very tired after flying all that way. But he wouldn't let that stop him. As he proved today, he would go until he couldn't go on anymore. The next morning, Yugi and Yami had some of the remaining fish. Half an hour later, Yugi mounted Yami, and Yami took off through the air.
"Are you sure that you can handle being in the air for as long as you were yesterday?" Yugi asked.
"Yes Yugi, I can handle it. We need to get out of here as quick as we can," Yami responded.
It was another two days before they they found a tablet saying that they were halfway out of the world. They were looking at about four more days before they were finally out of the dark world. To them, four days couldn't come soon enough. Meanwhile, Storm, Jubilee and Rogue had run into Mystique and the Blob. It was a fight not to get captured.
"You and your friends are coming with us Rogue," Mystique said.
"Not without a fight shape shifter," Rogue said venomously.
Mystique was in shock for a few minutes at the harshness of Rogue's voice. Then she seethed in anger. "You dare to take that tone of voice with me. You wouldn't be who you are if it weren't for me," she said.
"You mean what you forced me to do. That superhero is still in a coma because of me listening to you. Well it won't happen ever again," Rogue said.
Storm flew into the air. "I summon the coldness of the ice and snow. Give me the power to immobilize the Blob," she said as a cold wind blew through the ship.
The cold wind then blew ice and snow into the ship. The wind blew pretty hard. Since the Blob wasn't wearing anything warm, he immediately felt the chill.
"Hey, who turned off the heat?" the Blob asked.
The snow gradually started to piling up around the Blob. The snowstorm stopped about an hour later. The snow was up to the Blob's chest. He tried to get out, but his very fat body made it just about impossible. The snow fanned out for about twenty feet all around him and acted like quicksand when he tried to get out.
"Hey, let me out of here," the Blob said.
"Not on your life blubber boy," Jubilee said.
"Well Mystique, it looks like it's just you and me," Rogue said.
"I wouldn't have it any other way," Mystique said before transforming into Wolverine. "Let's dance."
Meanwhile, Yugi and Yami were getting closer to being out of the large world. By nightfall, found a tablet that told them that they were 3/4 of the way out. It would only be about a day to a day and a half before they were finally out. they slept for the night, preparing to finally be out of the dark world. The next morning, they had the last of their fish before flying through tair again a half hour afterwards.
"We're almost home free. It will be good to get out of this dark world," Yugi said. "I had enough of this vast blackness."
"I agree with you. It will be good to see the sun again," Yami said.
They didn't have much time left. Meanwhile, Rogue just about had Mystique on the ropes. Then a few more renegade mutants came to Mystique and the Blob's aid. One of the renegade mutants was the strange female mutant. She used her powers to render Rogue, Storm and Jubilee helpless.
Now all of the X-men were captured and in the ship where captives were held. They were in a cell that had negatively charged energy bars. Their fate was yet to be decided. But the thing that could safely be assumed was that their fate wasn't goint to be a good one.
"Now that all of you are our prisoners, we need to decide how we're going to get rid of you," Eclipse said.
"You won't be getting rid of us any time soon moon boy," Wolverine retorted.
"You are in no position to talk to us like that. Our energy machine has taken away your mutant powers. You are like ordinary people without your powers to help you," Eclipse said. "What shall we do with them master?" he added.
"I still have to decide. But you'll be part of lashing out their fat when I do decide," Apocalypse said.
Eclipse smirked. He couldn't wait to have his way with the X-men. But what he and Apocalypse didn't know yet was that they would soon have Yami and Yugi to deal with. By nightfall, Yami spotted a tablet and landed next to it.
The tablet read: You are incredibly lucky Yami and Yugi. You made it to the end of this world. But your X-men friends are now our prisoners. You'll never help them in time.
Then Yami and Yugi were transported out of the world. They found themselves back in the stable in the backyard of the Xavier Institute.
"Boy is it good to be back here," Yugi said before dismounting Yami.
"I know what you mean. Let's rest and then we can begin our search for our friends in the morning," Yami said.
"Okay," Yugi said.
They prepared their dinner and went into the stable. They ate in the stable. Then they spent a few hours just stargazing before finally falling asleep. Now that they were out of Apocalypse's dark world, they were determined to find and rescue their friends. The race against time would begin in the morning.


Finally, here's the next chapter. Having a brain freeze is torture. I changed chapter 6 a little so that this chapter wouldn't seem so confusing. In other words, if this confuses you a little bit, re-read chapter 6. Chapter 8 will not only be the end to this three-chapter trilogy, but it will also be the end of this fic. I promise that the last chapter will be a long one. Preview for Chapter 8: The Rescue Mission: Yami and Yugi are out of the dark world. Apocalypse senses that the brothers are back and comes up with one final challenge. This challenge will decide the fate of the X-men and the world.

Stay tuned out there all you Yugioh readers because I will be updating the next chapter to Not Really A Demon soon. After that, the next chapter to Ides of Manhattan will be updated.