Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Fourth God ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Fourth "God"

A Yu-Gi-Oh!/X-Men: Evolution crossover fic.

Written by Rogue Moon

"J-Jonouchi… So you watched that video?"

"Yep. But y'know… I watched it like this! But I still couldn't make out the censored bits! Damn! All the good stuff was digitized out! I'll lend it to you sometime, you pervert!"

"Really?! Y-yes!"

~Yugi and Katsuya, Duel Two: Lying Eyes (Manga)

Chapter Three

Dinner at the Institute consisted of long silences interspaced with nervous questions from the students to Yugi. Needless to say, all involved were relieved when they could finally go.

Jean took control of the situation afterward and showed Yugi around all the 'public' areas of the mansion. The small boy stayed silent most of the time, piping in every now and then with a question to clarify a slang phrase or two. The tour only took an hour, leaving two more before curfew would be enforced. This led to a dilemma about what to do for the rest of the night. A dilemma Evan solved by challenging Yugi to a duel in the Game Room.

Grinning wildly, the small boy told the others to wait and ran up to his room.

Evan looked at Jean, who looked confused, "He's probably getting his deck…"

Jean shrugged. She didn't care one way or the other as long as Evan kept his cool and didn't betray their secret.

Moments later, Yugi ran into the room. He stopped and caught his breath while leaning against the Foosball table. After taking a few deep breaths, he smiled at Evan and held up his deck, "If you will give me just one minute more, I will take Exodia from my deck to better even the odds."

Evan nodded 'go ahead' and pulled up two chairs to the card table and set his deck down to be cut whenever his opponent was ready.

Laying the five pieces of the Forbidden One to the side, Yugi then placed down his fusion deck and put his cards on the table to be cut. He let Evan's deck go as it was. The un-natural blond cut Yugi's deck and they flipped a coin to see who would go first. Evan won the toss.

Yugi won the duel three turns later.

The second duel lasted longer: it took four turns for Yugi to win.

It was at that moment, that Evan remembered he was facing the World Champion, ~I'm so screwed.~

*****

The next morning was Sunday and most of the mansion slept in. At least that's what Ororo told Yugi to cover for the early morning Danger Room session the others were currently trying to survive. Instead of participating as she usually would, the graceful woman had a peaceful breakfast with the polite boy, then led him to Xavier's office and left him there to go over the formalities with the Professor.

Yugi bowed to the head of the school, "Good morning, Xavier-sama."

"Good morning, Mr. Motou," Charles replied, gesturing for Yugi to take a seat, then going on when the boy had gotten comfortable. "I hope last night wasn't too stressful. I apologize once again for not being able to see you when you arrived."

"It is all right, I am sure you are a busy man."

Xavier smiled, "Thank you for understanding. Now, we have some paperwork to go over and I am supposed to inform you about your school schedule and what will be required of you for the next two months. We'll start with what is expected of you here at the institute. Here at the Xavier Institute, we have the students pick one civilization and do research on it for one semester and a month before the end of the semester, each student does a presentation on whatever part of the civilization that interested them the most." Charles told a half truth, covering for later when Yugi might question about why everyone else was doing research on Egypt in their attempt to figure out what Mesmero would go after next. "This semester it is Egypt. I was informed by the program that you have already done extensive study in this area. Is this true?"

"Yes. My grandfather was an archeologist and I learned a great deal from him as well as other sources."

//Is that all I am to you? Another 'source'?// Yami teased in the back of Yugi's mind. //And here I thought we had grown closer than that.//

/Yami, shut up./

//But my Hikari, you hurt my feelings// the darker-half whispered in mock-hurt. //How can I ever trust in us again? I thought we were a team… but now I see you just think of me as a… a…SOURCE//

/Yami, why do you do this to me?/

//Because the man sitting in front of us is incredibly boring.//

/Then go explore or something. I have to sit through this and it would be a lot easier without you making fun of me. Where did you get that from anyway?/

//Katsuya.//

/Figures./

Yami left the Puzzle in spirit form and gave Yugi a quick hug around the neck, then walked through the door on his way to investigate the already boring mansion. //Maybe I can peak in at one of the sleeping girls…//

/Yami!/

//You told me to explore or something. I'm taking the second option.//

/When I get done with this…/

//Have fun.//

"Then I look forward to seeing your presentation with everyone else's." Xavier replied, noting once again how the boy seemed to zone out and also getting the strange feeling that there was third person in the room. The feeling passed quickly, but it still disturbed the bald man. He made a quick mental notice to Wolverine, :: Remember that feeling you got in the car yesterday? I just experienced it. Please do a quick search of the Mansion while I keep our guest busy. Let me know when you're done.:: Logan sent back an affirmative. "Now, about the other courses you are required to take here at the Institute…"

*****

Yami tucked his hands into his pockets and strolled down the hall. There was nothing for the spirit to do and he was tired of having to hide himself. So he became flesh. It was easier to touch things, feel textures when he was solid. He could do it in spirit form, but it took so much more concentration. And if he ran into any of the other residents, they'd just think 'Yugi' was taking a look around.

A loud electronic ping came from a corridor somewhere ahead of Yami, and he decided to check it out. He wasn't near the kitchen or the living room, so the sound couldn't be coming from the normal electronics. And during the tour, they hadn't passed anything in this area that could make that sound.

Logan stepped off the elevator, followed by Kurt and Jean. All of them had changed into civilian clothes to check around the mansion. Just in case one of Rogue or Bobby's friends had decided to show up early and let themselves in. It had happened before.

Logan looked at Jean and nodded to the left, then caught Kurt's' eye and indicated that the kid come with him. They wouldn't have to worry about running into the exchange student, or so they thought. It was more than a small shock when Yugi came around the corner, curiosity written all over his face.

The good part was that the elevator had already shut and its door was hidden. The bad part was that Kurt hadn't turned on his image inducer.

Yami came around the corner and spotted three people about halfway down the hall. Logan, Jean and someone that looked like a Duel Monsters card yet to be made. The three had looks of shock on their faces. Yami blinked and the scene still didn't changed. //So I am not seeing things.//

Kurt gulped and edged behind Jean, trying to hide himself. :: I thought he was supposed to be with the Professor, :: he sent in a mental whisper to the redhead.

::So did I,:: she sent back and at the same time sent a question to Xavier. :: Why didn't you tell us when Yugi left your office?::

Charles' answer was a puzzled one, :: What do you mean? He hasn't left my office.::

::Then why is he standing in front of us right now?::

Logan sniffed the air and sent his own thought to Xavier, ::Thought you were going to keep the runt with you while we searched.::

::He is with me. In fact he is sitting in front of me giving me a confused look because I stopped in the middle of a sentence and started staring off into space.::

::If he's with you, then how come he's standing in front of us. And it is him, I got his scent the other day and this one matches.::

Yami shifted his feet and pulled his hands out of his pockets, crossing his arms over his chest as he tilted his head to one side, letting his mind analyze the scene in front of him. //Hikari? There's something I think you should see.//

/Can it wait?/

//Possibly.//

/Then let it. I really have to get through this meeting, no matter what color pajamas the redhead wears./

//This isn't about sleepwear…//

/Yami, please…/

//Fine. I'll tell you about it later.// Yami visibly sighed and shook his head then walked toward the group.

Logan narrowed his eyes at the boy, he was acting strangely. When the kid started toward them, he shifted to better protect the two behind him. Kurt edged further behind Jean, his tail wrapping around her leg for comfort. The redhead clasped her hands behind her back and smiled in embarrassment.

Yami stopped a foot from them. He glanced down at Kurt's tail and a smirk formed on his lips. He opened his mouth to say something, but quickly shut it as he found himself at a loss for words. Giving up on speaking, he tilted his head to get a better look at the blue furry one. It was then he found his voice, "I thought Halloween happened in October? Was I wrongly informed?"

*****

Charles Xavier frowned and studied the boy in front of him, who was starting to fidget slightly, "Would you care to accompany me for a moment? I just realized I have to check on something."

"Of course."

The bald man turned on his electric wheelchair and pushed himself away from and around his desk. Motoring himself to the door. Yugi followed, confused but wanting to be polite.

*****

Logan gave the boy a curious glance, the kid's voice was different, deeper. No, not deeper; more confident. And now that he took the time to study the boy, there were other differences. The exchange student he had picked up had a very soft, round face. The boy in front of him had a more angular face, and looked older, more true to his age. His hair was slightly different, too. Strips of blond had been spiked up with the rest of his dark red hair. The day before, all of the blond had been kept separate from the rest of his spikes. And the kid wasn't wearing that weird pendant he had on yesterday.

Kurt nearly choked when Yugi spoke. His eyes going wide, he turned and met the exchange student's gaze, "I… um…"

A gasp from behind Yugi cut him off and grabbed his attention. At the end of the hall was the Professor and a very stricken Yugi. The Yugi in front of Kurt twirled around, his own violet eyes going wide. The twins spoke one word in unison, "Kuso!"

*****

Kitty Pyrde had wanted vary badly to call home and talk to the rest of the X-men, but because of time zones, she would have been calling in the middle of the night, her time. As it was, she ended up landing around three in the morning. She wasn't too sure because the layaway in Hawaii had taken longer than it should have.

The man she was staying with, one Mr. Sugoroku Motou, a short, gray-haired butterball with a kind smile, greeted her as she came off the plane. With him was a group of three kids her age, one of which she recognized as Katsuya Jonouchi, runner up of the Duel Monsters world tournament. The other two were a boy and a girl. The girl was her height and had shoulder length brown hair. Mr. Motou introduced her as Anzu Mazaki. The other boy was slightly taller than Katsuya, and his brown hair was buzz cut, except for his bangs, which he had spiked up. Mr. Motou introduced him as Hiroto Honda.

"It's, like, nice to meet you all," Kitty bobbed her head and smiled, then let out a yawn. "Oh, sorry, long trip."

Hiroto spazzed forward and took Kitty's bags, "Here, let me help you with those." He promptly tossed them to Jou, "Hold these, will ya?" and then held out his arm to the pretty brunette. "Allow me to escort you to the car."

Kitty giggled, covering her mouth with her hand and coyly placed her arm in Hiroto's. The guy was cute. Jonouchi scowled at his oldest friends back. Mr. Motou smiled and led the group outside.

Anzu came up to the other side of Kitty, "Jou, Honda and I are all in the same class at school. And since you'll be taking Yugi-chan's place, you'll be in the same class as us. I should warn you though, the classes aren't easy. I'm actually surprised Jou and Honda have made it as far as they have."

"Hey!" Hiroto and Katsuya yelled together, causing both girls to giggle.

Kitty grinned, "So do you guys all live together? Is that why you all came to meet me?"

Mr. Motou shook his head, "Not at all, these three are just very nice kids and friends of my grandson. He's the one you've exchanged with. Anzu, Katsuya and Hiroto all live at their own respective parents houses. Although, with how often they come to see Yugi, it's easy to believe otherwise. Ah, here's the car."

Mr. Motou waved to the Limo sitting in the airport drive, a man in a tuxedo holding the backseat door open.

Kitty's jaw dropped, "You have a Limo?"

"Actually, it's mine," Jonouchi answered, coming up from behind and handing Kitty's bags to the driver. "Jii-chan and Anzu don't have cars, and Hiroto's only transportation is his bike, so it was either this or begging Kaiba to be nice and I didn't want to deal with that."

The gray-haired butterball smiled, "Katsuya's a good boy. Although, I sometimes wish Yugi had kept that money…"

"Aw, Jii-chan… You know I'd give the rest of it back to Yugi if he'd let me."

"I know that Jou. Yugi is just too kind for his own good."

Kitty stayed quiet, not really sure how to respond and slightly confused about the subject of the conversation. She had only just met these people and it was kind of intimidating and exciting to be meeting the second, or was it third, best Duel Monsters player in the entire world. Finding out she was in the same class as the hottie, made Kitty really excited. However all of that couldn't override the fact that she was incredibly tired and had never been able to sleep on a plane.

Letting out another yawn, she let go of Hiroto's arm and climbed into the Limo. She scooted over to let the others in, then stretched out on the soft black leather and closed her eyes for a moment.

She didn't think she would fall asleep from that, but Anzu gently shaking her awake proved otherwise.

The brown-eyed girl smiled at kitty, "Time to wake up. We just got to Jii-chan's."

Kitty blinked and rubbed her eyes, "Did I fall asleep? I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. You had a long flight, and besides, Katsuya and Hiroto both fell asleep, too," Anzu replied, giggling slightly and pointing to the two sleeping boys on the seat across from them. The blond sprawled over his long-time friend, murmuring something about pizza. Hiroto snorted and shifted positions, kicking Katsuya in the head and causing a chain reaction of the two sleep fighting and wrestling each other. It was truly amazing to watch.

Laughing, Kitty climbed out of the Limo while she still could and found that the driver had already unloaded her bags from the trunk. She took a second to look around and see where they were. In front of them was a two story building, the bottom half housing a game shop while the top half was presumably for living in. Mr. Motou unlocked the front door and entered far enough to turn on the outside light, then came over and grabbed one of Kitty's bags.

Anzu waved at Kitty and Sugoroku, "See you tomorrow for school." The brown haired girl then climbed back inside the Limo and the car drove off.

Mr. Motou held the door open, "If you'll follow me, Ms. Pryde, I'll show you to your room."

Kitty grabbed her remaining two bags and entered the shop. It wasn't a big place, but from the looks of the well-worn floor and shelving, it was probably popular and prosperous. The gray haired butterball led Kitty to the back end of the shop and up a flight of stairs. At the top, a room, obviously the 'living' room, opened up with a hall exiting on one side. Mr. Motou led her down said hall and to the last door on the left. Smiling, he opened the door and set her bag inside.

"This is Yugi's room. I would have you stay in another one, but that would mean giving up mine. I hope you can live with my grandson's taste in decor. Since today is Sunday, I'll only be having the shop open for a few hours. Starting at noon. That should give you plenty of time to catch up on your sleep before any loud noises might wake you. The kitchen is downstairs, behind the door that is behind the counter. The bathroom is across the hall. When you get up, just come on downstairs and if I have no customers, we can sit down and go over the paperwork I was sent. Have a good rest." Mr. Motou turned around and went down the hall to the living room and then down the stairs.

Tossing her bags inside, Kitty entered what was now her bedroom and shut the door. The room was small, about a third of what she was used to, though it had a lot more personality. The rooms at the institute were so big that it was hard to decorate every inch to one's personal taste unless one had been living there for a few years.

Here, the room had an Egyptian/game theme. Somewhat fitting since the kid lived over a game shop. On the walls were posters for various video games and Duel Monsters. Under the single window was a small desk with a lamp. Sitting on the desk was a radio and a small stack of books. The one on the top of the pile was a reference on mazes and the making of. Against the wall and directly to the right of the desk was the bed. Its sheets were decorated in a 'Pop'-Egyptian pattern of lotus blossoms and hieroglyphics. The blanket was burnt orange with a large, gold Eye of Ra in the middle.

Against the opposite wall, the closet took up about half of the space, while a small entertainment center filled the rest. A 13-inch television with three different gaming consoles, including the newest Playstation system, took up the top half of the shelves there. The bottom half had board game after board game stacked along side a few CD and video racks.

A bookshelf stood to the right of the door, it's shelves filled with Chess pieces, pewter figurines, books on Egypt, books on various RPG's, and strangely enough, jewelry boxes. On top of the bookcase were a few completed 3D puzzles and two perfect Rubik's cubes.

"Kid must be a genius," Kitty muttered to herself and opened up the closet, revealing a large, recently cleared out space for her clothes. Deciding that putting her clothes up could wait, the exchange student kicked off her shoes and tucked herself into the very inviting bed. When Jii-chan checked up on her a minute later, the girl was already fast asleep, fully clothed.

*****

Logan growled low in his throat and got ready to pop his claws, it was obvious, at least to him, that Mystique, the local shape shifter, was trying to infiltrate their base once more. Too bad the Japanese kid had to find out about them so soon. The only bad thing, was that Mystique was so close to the professor. The Yugi closest to Logan had to be the real one, since he smelled right.

Yugi panicked. Plain and simple, he panicked. Which for him, meant that he ran to the nearest safe zone. At the moment, said safe zone was Yami. Yami, too leapt forward, meeting his light halfway and pulling him into a hug.

"Don't punish Yugi. It's not his fault I stowed away," the darker half shouted as he tucked Yugi into his chest, vainly trying to protect his light from the others with the excuse they had agreed on should it ever be discovered he existed.

Logan had been ready to skewer 'Mystique' when she made the bold move of running toward the mutants and Yugi. He stopped in his tracks as the look-alikes ran to each other and covered their butts.

Yugi clung to Yami, shutting his eyes tightly, "Please! Don't send me back! Or Yami! We just didn't want to be separated!"

"It's not his fault, I swear. If you're going to punish someone, punish me!" Yami joined in the yelling, wanting to keep his light safe, Yugi's panic affecting him.

Yugi started to yell once more, but was interrupted by the Professor, "No one is going to be punished. Calm down."

The twins gave Xavier a skeptical look, but shut up to listen.

Glad that he had their attention, the bald man continued, "Now why don't we go to the Lounge and you two can explain everything. Jean?"

"Yes, Professor?"

"Please… wake the others and tell them to meet in the Lounge. And Kurt?"

The blue furry one gulped and walked forward, "Yes?"

"Take off that costume. You can attempt to scare Bobby later." ::That should cover for you, hm?::

"Yes, Professor." ::Thank you.::

::No problem.::

Charles turned his wheelchair around and headed for the Lounge, followed by two very guilty looking twins and one really angry Wolverine.

*****

It took about ten minutes for everyone, sans one furry science teacher, to gather in the Lounge and by then, Kurt had gotten out of his 'Halloween' costume.

The room was of a good size, having a fireplace on one side, and an entrance to the gardens opposite the main doors. In the middle of the room were two dark green couches that faced each other and were separated by a low coffee table. On the couch closest to the door, the X-Men sat, slightly shocked at the sight in front of them.

On the couch opposite the children, sat Yugi and his twin. The two were sitting extremely close to each other. So close, in fact, that Yugi's twin had an arm around Yugi and the slightly smaller boy was leaning against his 'brothers' chest. They were dressed exactly the same, save that Yugi had the weird pendant and his twin didn't.

Charles smiled at the two, trying to put them at ease, and only succeeding in the opposite. "Would one of you care to explain this, please?"

Yugi locked eyes with his twin and after a moment looked down with a sigh. The darker one spoke first, "My name is… Yami. I am… well…"

"We are twins," Yugi murmured and ran one of his hands over Yami's chest, absently making circles.

Logan snorted, "That's obvious. Care to tell us why you're both here?"

Yami gave the older man a glare, and surprisingly, the Canadian backed up a step. The spirit smirked and looked down at his light, running a hand gently through Yugi's hair, "Yugi got picked for the exchange program. But he was the only one who could go. We had only one ticket. So I stowed away. We do not like being separated."

Yugi shifted in Yami's arms, turning himself so his head was in Yami's lap and he was looking up at his dark, "Yami and I… well… We do not like to be apart. I let him into my room last night before dinner. He was supposed to stay there."

The twins' fingers intertwined almost lazily, as if they didn't even realized they had. A faint smile traced Yami's lips and he continued for the pair, "But I was bored inside my… room. I just wanted to explore a little. And Yugi was supposed to be in the meeting. So if anyone else ran across me, they would think I was him."

Yugi sighed and glanced over at the group for the first time since they had started talking, "Yami was supposed to stay inside while I went to school and then if he wanted to take my place for a few hours afterwards, he would. Just to get out and stretch a little. It would be hard to do, and we figured you would find out eventually, just not this soon."

Logan didn't like the glare Yami had given him. It was hard to explain why, but it actually un-nerved him, set him on edge. And he had had a lot of glares sent his way, he was used to it. :: Something about that kid Chuck. I don't know what, but there is something not right about that kid.::

Xavier steepled his fingers together and eyed the boys. The way they interacted with each other was not the normal way siblings, even very close ones, interacted. Perhaps Ororo had been right in suggesting that Yugi had 'grown up on the streets'. If that were true, and the only one Yugi could count on was his brother, and vise versa, then it would account for how 'close' they were. Xavier sighed and leaned back, "You have put me in quite the situation, young Mr. Motou. And the other Mr. Motou. 'Dark Game' indeed…"

Scott shot the Professor a puzzled look, "Dark game?"

Logan 'tapped' the kid on the back of his head, "Their names. If you paid attention in Languages, you'd know that their names, 'Yami' and 'Yugi' are the Japanese words for 'Dark' and 'Game'."

Scott rubbed his head and frowned, "Oh."

Xavier smiled and shook his head, "At least we know about you, now. No. I will not have you sent back, that would only ruin Kitty's experience. And since Yugi is the only one required to take any classes at Bayville High, he will be the only one the school board knows of. However, I expect you to contact your Guardian in Japan and tell him or her what is going on. And Yami will have to take classes here at the institute while Yugi takes his at the high school."

Yami scowled. It was a good scowl, one he had perfected over five millennia while he resided in the Puzzle. There wasn't a lot to do in the Puzzle. So he had learned to make really effective faces. One of them was a scowl. It was a good scowl. And all it got him was a scolding from Yugi.

"<Don't even make that face, Yami-chan,>" the violet eyed boy muttered in Japanese, sitting up and stretching. "<You knew this was a possibility if we got caught.>"

Yami turned his scowl on Yugi and replied in ancient Egyptian, a language no one but the two halves knew, "<I am a Pharaoh. I should not have to do school work. And watch what language you speak in. Logan knows Japanese and so do some of the students. If you want to talk to me in private without using our bond, then use Egyptian.>"

Yugi rolled his eyes and replied in kind, "<Fine. Now stop making faces. If you do that long enough, your face could stick that way. And you wouldn't want that. And besides, Pharaohs had to take lessons, too.>"

"<Who told you that?>"

"You did," Yugi replied in English and stood up, pulling on Yami's arm. "Now get up. We have a meeting with Xavier-sama to finish."

"No, you have a meeting to finish. Remember, I'm not the exchange student."

Charles moved himself to the door, "No, you re not. So you can contact your Guardian and inform said person about the situation." To Logan he sent a quick thought, :: Any idea what language they were speaking just a minute ago?::

::Not a one. First it was Japanese, but the second one I've never heard. It was kind of Arabic sounding. Ask Ororo.::

::She doesn't know either, although she did say it sounded familiar. Perhaps she will remember sometime later.::

Logan growled to himself, ::Why aren't you punishing them more?::

::Didn't you hear them? They said the Yami snuck into the institute. I want to find out how when we have been on full security. If anyone tried to enter without going through the front gates, we should have been immediately informed. And besides, they do not act… they act strangely. I am curious about that and also would like to know why they both have the same scent. Even twins don't have the same scent. You should know that, There is more to those two than meets the eye. They maybe mutants after all…::

::I thought Cerebro would have picked up their bio signatures.::

::So did I… But computers have been known to malfunction.::

*****

End Chapter Three

Please let me know what you think. And yes I know that was mean of me.