Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Mystics team ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Zoids

The Mystics team

You usually know what to look for in a Zoids pilot. I may fit what you think. But what sets me apart is my situation is that I'm sixteen and in class S, not like it hasn't happened before, but I don't have a hover cargo or a whale king. It just my Shadow Fox and I. I'm kind of a mercenary but I don't usually do that. I do well in battles but what makes it hard for me is that I have nowhere to go and nowhere to stay. My house is my Zoid and I only have enough money to fix my Zoid and eat. I some times may have enough to fill the ammo bin of my Zoid. Most of my money goes to paying off my parents' debts. Oh do I hate them. They died three years ago at the top of their game. Both high people in the corporations that design Zoids but died in some freak accident with a new Zoid. I then found out about the debts they had. They had major debts for some people who make more than enough to live off of. Something like 40 million in back payments and stuff. I lost the house, they money my parents left me, the Zoids they had collected and the cooperation that had my parents threw me off with my one and only Zoid that I had purchased. It was the only thing that I actually owned. I had to fight in some battles before I had enough to feed myself and then repair my Zoid. I hated that time. So here I am, a sixteen-year-old living in my Zoid waiting for the next battle. Golden-brown hair with a blue vest and red shirt. Jeans that look like they have gone through hell and back with maybe twenty bucks on me. My Zoid is a custom Shadow Fox. The basic armament of: four strike laser claws, laser auto cannon, smoke dispensers, and such. But I added a small mine dispenser on the back with a light energy shield that can stand against a few attacks. I have about a hundred shots of ammo when normally I can hold five hundred. I waited for the battle to start. I was challenging the Tigers team that day. I like the idea of one on one but I got a battle code of 0679. One verses three with a handicap on the one person. I am allowed to start anywhere and they only can have a third of their ammo. I just relaxed on top of my Zoid with the radio turned up. My Zoid growled and slightly move its head northward.

"What do you mean floating base?" I asked my Zoid. My Shadow Fox is a special Zoid. It isn't an ultimate X but it is a lesser version of one. It growled again.

"I'm getting in already. Sheesh," I said getting back into the cockpit. I no sooner strapped myself in that we took off.

"Whoa slow down buddy!" I called out grabbing the controls. My radio jumbled around a bit. I caught it before it broke and put it back into a side compartment that I had. My Shadow Fox jumped off the mesa we were on and ran down the side of the mountain.

"If you just wanted to run you could have said so," I told him relaxing against the chair. It wined in response.

"Huh?" I asked trying to figure out what he said. He whined again as he jumped off the side mesa and landed on the desert floor. Took off running again straight across the desert.

"Floating base. What floating base?" I asked looking up in the air. I checked all my screens to see nothing out there. But a bunch of clouds were appearing out of nowhere. Suddenly my Shadow Fox stopped. I was thrown against my harness and whip lashed back.

"Ow! What was that for?" I asked angrily. Shadow just sat and looked up. I looked to where he was looking and saw a Whale king fly out of the clouds. But this was a different one from the normal. It was white with a large horn sticking out the front.

"You don't see one of those everyday," I commented in awe. My screen popped up with data about it.

"Called the Narwhale. Owned by the Mystics team. Rank class S and on a twenty win no loss streak right now. Wow," I said reading the info. I leaned back against the chair and watched it fly by. It looked magical with the clouds and stuff floating by it.

"Cool, alright enough sight seeing we need to head to our battle," I told Shadow. Shadow nodded his head and took off back across the desert. I got back to the mesa as the Whale king for the Tigers team set down on the other side of the desert. My Shadow Fox's colors make him stick out in the desert, being dark blue and crimson, but my smoke screen blocks out that stuff. I saw the judge capsule land and do the normal speal.

"This designated 5 mile area is now a Zoid battle field area. Danger all civilians and personnel please leave the area. Battle Field set, Readddddddy Fight!" I stood still and watched the Tigers team. They started to spread out to look for me. I selected a target and jumped off the mesa I was on onto a different one. I started to skip across the mesas to reach my target. He was running down the canyon. I saw a small opening coming up. The guy ran through the opening right into my strike laser claw.

"One down," I commented watching his computer freeze and his Zoid fall to the ground. I ran along the canyon to the outside to see the other tigers heading my way.

`Just too easy,' I thought pushing my throttle to maximum picking up a lot of speed. I opened up on my auto cannon to hit one down. I jumped up and activated my strike laser claw and landed on the other Zoid. I jumped off the Zoid and landed on the ground behind the other Zoid.

"The battle is over, the battle is over. The winner is the Shadow team," The judge said closing up and flying away. I turned Shadow around to see the pilots get out of their Zoid. I opened my cockpit and looked down at them.

"You guys need a ride to you Whale King?" I called out.

"Well we need to pick up our teammate first," the leader called out.

"No prob," I called back. I lowered the Shadow Fox down and waited till the climbed into my cockpit. I started to run to the other pilot at a leisurely pace.

"So where is your transport?" a guy asked.

"Your standing in it," I replied entering the canyon. I heard the captain whisper something into the other guy's ear. I stopped at the other Zoid and set mine down.

"There he is," I said opening the hatch. His Zoid stood, a bit wobbly, but it stood.

"Thanks for the lift," the captain of the team, said waving.

"Your welcome," I replied returning the wave and running off. I hadn't taken damage on this one so I felt it was time to eat something good. I took off for a nearby town and set my Shadow Fox down. I stepped out and he sat up closing the cockpit. I stepped out and walked into a café at the end of the street. I opened the door and sat down at a table. I looked up to see a replay of my battle on the screens.

"Hey you're the pilot of the Shadow Fox right?" the waitress asked.

"Yeah I am," I replied smiling.

"Order what ever you want. It's on the house," she said looking at her boss. Her Boss nodded and the waitress gave me the menu. I looked over it trying to decide.

"What would you like to drink?" she asked.

"I will have some apple cider and some hot chocolate," I replied smiling at her. She wrote it down and left to go get it. I looked over the menu and heard my stomach growl at just reading the names of it. I decided on a salad with a chicken potpie and some mashed potatoes. I set the menu down and patiently waited as I watched the screen seeing my battle. I smiled as it showed me picking up speed and firing my auto cannon and jumping right after I fired the ten shots to do it. Then landing on the other Zoid ripping the armor right off and jumping again to land behind them. The waitress came back with my drinks then I told her what I wanted. I watched the news as that came on.

"The Mystic team is going to be fighting soon. They even might be looking for a new team member. Many challengers have challenged them to fights hoping to be good enough for the spot on the team," the reporter said. I saw many heads pop up at hearing this.

`Getting on a team might be good. But I don't think I would get a chance to battle them with all the challengers they are going to get,' I thought relaxing against the cushioned chair. I looked up to see the waitress a little overloaded with the food. She was about to slip when I picked up a few plates of food.

"Thanks," she said blushing.

"No problem," I said setting the food down. I saw her set the other plates down and I sat down again.

"I will be back to check up on you later," she said walking away. I started with my salad and started chowing down. I finished my salad then moved on to my potpie. I finished that then I ate my mashed potatoes. I leaned against the chair and closed my eyes. I hadn't had better food for as long as I can remember.

"Would you like some desert?" the waitress asked me.

I shook my head, "No thank you. I am stuffed." She giggled and picked up my plates. I stood up and she came back.

"Have a nice day," she said. I set a twenty on the table and left to my Zoid.

"What do you say partner? Want to fill the ammo that you lost?" I asked sitting down in the machine. I got a growl of approval. I walked him down the street to the repair shop then I walked around back and set Shadow down. I got out and walked into the store.

"What can I do for you?" the owner asked.

"I would like to refill the ammo," I said walking to the counter.

"Okay, on what?" he asked pulling out a clipboard.

"On the Shadow Fox out back," I said pointing out the back window. He glanced over and nodded.

"Give me an hour and I will be finished," he said.

"Fine with me," I replied walking out the door. I went to a battle commission store and stepped in. I walked over to a computer and checked my account. I withdrew the money I had earned and walked to the counter.

"I would like to put some money down on the Gorian account," I said to the attendant.

"I will need some ID please," the attendant replied. I pulled out my wallet and showed her my ID. She nodded and brought up the account. I handed her the money and she put it in. Then handed me a recipe. I thanked her and walked away from the desk looking at the receipt.

`25 million to go' I thought sighing. I walked over to the battle commission standings. I looked at the list to see that I was in tenth and the Mystics team was in first.

`Man they are good' I thought leaving the store. I walked over to the Zoid store to see the man stepping out of my Zoid and walking back to the store. I walked into the door as he stepped behind the counter again.

"That will be one thousand for the repairs and full ammo," he said typing in the cash register. I nodded taking out what little of the cash I had left and handed it over.

"Thank you sir," he replied handing me a receipt. I nodded and left the building really tired. I got into Shadow and strapped myself in. I leaned against the chair and pulled out a blanket. Shadow started running out of town and to a secluded area. I kicked back the seat as far as it would go and then I pulled the blanket up and fell asleep. I felt Shadow lie down on the ground and shutdown the systems. I slept well and didn't dream too much. I woke up to the motion of Shadow walking through the desert. I pulled my chair up and folded my blanket. I set that under my chair and glanced at the clock.

"Ten after six? Give me a break Shadow," I complained. He growled.

"Floating base. Again?" I asked leaning against the chair. He growled again and sped up. I sighed and took controls. I looked up into the sky to see the clouds rolling again. Shadow stopped and looked up at the whale king.

"Yeah and? We've seen this already," I commented looking at the ship. I saw a speck fly around the ship.

"Huh?" I questioned putting the zoom up. It looked like a dragon flying around.

"Wow, never seen one of those," I commented looking at it. It dived down real fast and seemed to buck around. I saw an ejection pod shoot out and the dragon flew back into the ship. I then saw a red bird like one fly over and catch the floating pod.

"Cool," I said. Shadow growled in agreement. I was about to turn away when I saw something on my radar. I looked in that direction to see a gun tortoise lining up its gun. I looked at the target to see that the Narwhale was its target. I started running at it before I even knew it. I looked at the markings on it to see that it was from the infamous Backdraft.

"HEY YOU STOP!!" I yelled shooting at the Zoid. I saw the Zoid look over at me. I started firing at it but as my bullets hit it, it fired. The blast missed by maybe twenty feet. I saw the paint get a little darker from the blast. I saw the tortoise trying to line up another shot. I fired at it again knocking it over. I jumped up and landed on the under side with my strike laser claws. I dug in a bit then got off. I saw a lot of Backdraft Zoids step out from behind stuff.

"Oops," I said looking around, "I think we made them mad." I started firing at them and running around trying to dodge the fire coming at me. I saw a few more of the tortoises lining up shots. I ran after them and destroyed a few more. I almost got to the last one but was blocked by a few Zoids. I was surrounded in a mater of seconds. I looked around and then at the Zoid getting ready to fire at the Narwhale. I let loose the smoke. I then ran around dropping the mines. I jumped up and shoved a Zoid at the mines I landed outside the smoke and made a mad dash for the tortoise. I fired with my auto cannon but ran out of shots fast. I kept running hearing the explosions behind me from the Zoids getting caught in my mines. I had almost made it when the cannon was fully charged. I could see the laser about to go out from the cannon when the Zoid flew up into the air and fired. The shot went so wide I thought it was purposely missed. I stopped and looked around.

"Who? Where?" I asked looking around. I saw a large bird fly up above where I was. It was red and had a lot of missals on it.

"A Phoenix?" I asked in awe. I turned around and went after the Backdraft Zoids still around. I ran past one using my strike laser claw to tear off its arm. I dodged the shots fired at me by dodging back and forth then running around the target. I took down about twenty more before the Mystics team started fighting. Things started to go on my side until I saw the Elephandor walk over with a large projectile cannon.

"Oh boy," I said. I saw it aim at the large Lion Zoid. I ran trying to get the attention of the Zoid. I knew he/she hadn't seen me so I did the next best thing. The shot that was heading towards him/her I jumped up and took full blast. I felt a large shudder go through the whole Zoid. I didn't see the cliff until it was too late. I couldn't stop. I tried to get a grip on the controls but my computer was down and the armor was stripped away on one side. I held on as my Shadow Fox and I fell off the side of a cliff. I felt the weightlessness around me.

"So long friend," I said before we hit the bottom. We slammed into the ground with a large explosion. The dirt around me flew up and around. I looked around for a second before I blacked out.

I didn't know if I was dead or not. I couldn't see anything and I didn't feel anything. Well maybe I should rephrase that. I felt a lot of pain. So I think I was alive. I tried to open my eyes but it didn't work. I couldn't move but I could think and feel a little bit. I tried to hear something but all I heard was a humming of machines. I rested, because that was all I could do. I tried to remember back. I got everything back fully with no haziness. Well I didn't know what happened when I was out but I could remember before that. So I didn't have amnesia. Which was a very good thing. I heard some steps then a presence in the room. I tried to turn my head towards the noise. I got a few inches but that was all. I tried to open my eyes again but that didn't work either. I sighed and put my head back into its original position.

`This sucks so bad,' I thought. I just lay there waiting to see if someone would get me out of this predicament. I still felt the person there. I tried to speak but all that came out was, "Mmmph,"

`Okay that sounded living,' I thought sarcasticly. I then felt hands moving around me. I felt cool air on my body.

"Oh man this stinks. Hey wait?" I said. I tried to sit up again but firm hands held me down. I felt my arms go free. I reached up to my eyes to feel for anything up there. I felt some gauze over my eyes. I pulled on it and took it off. I blinked a few times then looked around.

"Boy do I need some aspirin," I commented holding my head. I then saw a girl run out of the room.

"Huh?" I asked dumbly looking at the doorway. I looked down to see me in my jeans. No shirt on though. I saw a few scars around me and a couple of bandages here and there. I stood up beside the bed and tried to see what I could do.

"Okay arms and legs are okay," I tried turning my back but felt a lot of pain, "Back is not."

I felt my back around to find a few sore spots but nothing serious. I looked around for my shirt and then put it on. I stepped out of the room and looked down both hallways.

"Wonder where everyone is?" I asked looking around. I stepped out of the hallway only to be aimed at by some means of security. I stepped backwards back into the room. I sat back on the bed and waited. I saw a few people come in and look at me.

"Who are you and where am I?" I asked.

"We are the Mystics team. You are on our whale king called the Narwhale. Who are you?" the captain asked.

"My name is Kiros and my Zoid, where ever he is, is Shadow. You wouldn't happen to know where he is would you?" I asked.

"We have him…but it doesn't look good. Please follow me," the guy said. I nodded and started to follow him. I saw the other people follow from behind. I started walking faster to keep up with him. But I soon found out that I was in serious pain. I stopped a little while later and leaned against the wall. I gasped as the metal touched one of my sore spots. I turned on my side and rested. I started to follow him again as he turned a corner. I walked into a large hangar. I saw a lot of Zoids in here that I had never seen before. I kept walking around till I saw Shadow. Or what was left of him. The main part of it was still there but it needed some serious repairs on the inside and outside.

"Oooohh man! Where am I going to get the money for this?" I moaned falling to my knees. I sat there looking at my Zoid. I stood up and walked to it and looked it over. It was totaled almost beyond repair. I climbed into the cockpit and looked around. I sat there for a while and just thought. I closed my eyes and fainted.

`Why me? Why must I always go through the torment of my life?' I thought.

`Maybe jumping off the whale king will kill me. I hope it will because it doesn't seem worth going on. The only person who has always been there for me is almost destroyed beyond the point of recognition. Why me? What purpose does this serve?' I asked myself. I slowly regained consciousness back in the hospital room. My wounds were mostly healed so I must have been out for a day or so. I got back up and walked out of the room. I remembered how to get to the hangar and I walked to there. I walked around looking at the machines and mine. I looked at it then looked around for some tools. I saw some and started working. I pulled out the dirt and rocks that were inside. I started listing what needed repairing and what need to be replaced. I looked in the cockpit last to find that it was fried. The computer was in need of serious repairs and the memory components were the only thing left. I pulled them out and put them in my pocket. I sat down in the chair and looked at my friend. I shed a few tears and climbed back out. I stood in front of it and put the tools I used away. I stared at him then got back in the cockpit and tried to start it. Not even a spark activated.

"Damn it," I sad on the verge of tears. I sat there looking at the computer in front of me. I looked out to see the dragon Zoid sitting there. I stood up and got out. I walked over to it and stared at it. I walked to it and climbed up to the cockpit. I looked in and felt a calling to go in.

"What have I got to lose?" I asked myself climbing in. It walked out to the bay doors. I say it because I hadn't even sat down yet. I sat down and strapped myself in. I put my hands on the controls and he, or she, jumped out. I hung on as we fell. Well we plummeted down more than fell.

"How do you work this thing?" I said franticly trying to pull up. It kept going down until right above the ground. Then it pulled up and we shot across the ground. I stopped trying to control it as the speed and view got to me.

"Wow!" I cried in awe. I saw scenery rushing by and the gravity had little effect on me because I was used to running fast. I looked around the cockpit.

"Hey ummm what's your name?" I asked the Zoid. I glanced at the main panel as it flashed a name.

"Death Bringer?" I asked, "Cool. But I wouldn't think that it's original. But who am I kiddy? This rocks!" I yelled as we pulled up and did a loop. I pushed the joysticks down and we rocketed towards earth. I smoothly pulled up to level out at maybe five feet above the ground.

"WHOOO HOOOO" I yelled as I broke the sound barrier. I saw a mountain coming up and I pulled up shooting for the stars. I flew up past the clouds. I saw the stars at just the tip of the ozone layer.

"Beautiful," I whispered. I heard a silent growl of agreement. I turned back towards earth. We flew back down to the clouds and started back to the Narwhale. I say the bay open and DB landed on the inside. I tried opening the hatch but it wouldn't open.

"Uh Death Bringer?" I asked when the hatch didn't open. I looked around at the pictures showing up on the view screen. Every Zoid, except mine, was gone.

"Must be in a battle," I said. Then a menu came up showing a list of battles that the team was scheduled for. Then a blinking light showed one battle going on.

"Well let's go. But first maybe I should register as a fighter for this team. You think so?" I asked fishing out my Zoid pilot I.D. I put it in the slot of the computer as DB jumped back out the bay. I registered as a temporary fighter and held on as DB broke the sound barrier flying towards the battlefield. I took control and landed at the side of the battle. I saw the Phoenix fire a lot of missals at the opposing team.

"So what type of battle is it?" I asked Death Bringer. 0987 flashed on the screen. Unlimited arsenal and fighters.

"A free for all?" I asked. I heard a growl of excitement.

"Oh so you want to fight huh? Well shouldn't weeeeeeeee!" I started before being pushed against the back of my chair. DB started to list its weapons on my screen. Two auto cannons on the arms, a flamethrower in the mouth, a large energy shield in the chest, a serious amount of missals, a laser in the tail and the ability to do a sonic boom.

"Well duh about the sonic boom," I commented getting a grip on the controls again. I saw the team taking a few hiding spots behind the rocks around the spot. When I landed I saw why. The enemy had many long ranged plasma launchers.

"Hey guys. I thought I would pay you guys back for rescuing me," I said over the COM unit. I activated the energy shield and stepped out. Large blats of plasma fired at me. I stood my ground and when the smoke cleared I was standing with no damage. I fired the auto cannons at the enemy standing directly before me and watched him fall.

"Next," I called out. I jumped up into the air as shots were fired at me. I fly straight up and down shooting missals at them. The missals rained down on them destroying a few and damaging all of them. I landed in the middle of them. I locked on with all of my weapons and fired. I looked around to see a heap of Zoids and lots of angry pilots. I saw a large Zoid walking towards me. I looked at it with lots of determination. I was looking at the weaponry trying to decide what to use. Dragon breath appeared on the screen.

"Dragon breath? Well I guess we don't have much to lose. DRAAAGOOON… BREATH!" I yelled hitting the button on the top of my joystick. CB roared and got on all fours. Opened its jaw and roared a ferocious roar. A second later a large wave of fire exploded out of his mouth. It engulfed my opponent and fried him. I sat there in shock at seeing my opponent fall in that one attack. I looked around to see no more enemies.

"Cool," I said with a satisfactory grin. Death Bringer stood up and turned to the team. It roared its victory cry and walked to the team. I opened the cockpit and stood up.

"Hey you if you guys could drop me off at some town with some prize money and my Zoid I would greatly appreciate it," I called out. I saw the team members talk among them selves. I sat down and waited. I heard Death Bringer roar a large roar.

"Down boy!" I yelled out standing up and holding on to the cockpit as it moved around. I looked up to see the leader standing out of the phoenix.

"We want to ask you to join the team!" he called out. I froze. This would bump my rating with me. I stared in shock at him. I stood up and looked at him.

"Why? You don't want some second rate Zoid pilot!" I said, "I would look around for a good pilot. I'm just a pilot who needs to pay off family debts!" I said sitting down. The leader cracked a smile. Most of these guys were older than I was anyway. I sat down in the chair and waited. I saw people start popping up on the control panel in front of me.

"Aren't you happy to join our team?" a person asked.

"Well I would be happy to. But I don't think I am good enough for the team," I said.

"Good enough for me. See ya," a girl said. She clicked off the picture. The captain looked like he was discussing something with the other teammates. I sat down and the cockpit closed around me.

"What do you want to do now DB? I'm only your pilot for a little while longer," I asked him. I heard a growl and then the jets activated shooting me off into the sky. I got a hold of the controls as I rocketed to the Narwhale. Death Bringer took me on a ride around the ship. I only held on as we shot around the ship. I watched and moved with the Zoid as we flew around the ship.

"Wahoo!" I yelled flying around the ship at super sonic speeds. DB finally brought me to the launching bay and landed. I stood up and patted the Zoid affectionately. I got out and walked over to my Zoid. I smiled at it and looked around for the team. I saw them looking at me.

"Well it was nice knowing you. If I could have some money it would be cool but it doesn't matter. Just set me down at the next town and I'll be fine," I said smiling. I saw a women whisper to the lead guy and he laughed.

"Well just to let you know we want you on the team. If there is anything that could allow you to stay on this team name it," he said. I scratched my head looking at them.

"Well…if you are sure you want me I guess the only thing is I want to be able to fix my Zoid," I said. He looked around the team. They nodded or just smiled. He nodded.

"Okay I guess I'm on. But I won't be able to fight till I fix my Zoid," I said to them looking at the scrap in front of me.

"You should use Death Bringer," a guy said. I glanced over at the dragon. Well looks like I was wrong about being his pilot. Cool.

"Well shouldn't I know all your names?" I asked scratching the back of my head in a nervous manner. One of the girls whispered to him and he sweat dropped.

"Well my name you guys and girls already know so I think it would be fair, since I am joining your team, to know the team members' names," I pointed out. The captain glanced at the team members questioning.

"Okay I agree with you. My name is Jeff. Just Jeff. This young lady right here," he said shoving her forward, "Is Mia. This big guy right here is Jim, and the guy next to him is Jack. Over there is Hildy and Mere. Say hello you two," he said pointing them out.

"A pleasure," Hildy said walking out. Mere just nodded and followed suit. Mia grabbed Jeff by the scruff of his collar and dragged him out. I heard the sound of something slamming into a wall. Jack and Jim shook my hand and walked off.

`Boy am I appreciated,' I thought sighing. I heard a growl behind me and the scratching of metal on metal. I looked up to see DB peering down at me and giving me a look of `Forget them. You're with me'

"Yeah I know you're backing me but I don't think that gives me much help around here," I said waving him off. I walked out of the hangar and down a hall. Then it hit me.

"Where the hell am I staying?" I asked out loud. I was about to turn around when Hildy grabbed my shirt and pulled me to a door.

"Your room," she said shoving me in. I turned and said thanks and she nodded and slammed the door shut.

"Yep I can see I have a fan club. Well things can't get much worse," I commented sitting on the bed. I looked at the ceiling and then the bed fell down. I sat there and looked down.

"Always wanted a cot," I commented lying back on it. I sighed. No matter how bad the treatment was I have had worse. I got up and looked around. I opened the door to see an empty closet and another revealed a spacious bathroom.

"Wow, I've never been anywhere with this much room. Sure beats my Zoid's cockpit. I could get used to this. Well until the find a better warrior that is," I said walking out the door. I walked down a hall and to the Zoid bay. I climbed into my Zoid opened all of my side compartments. I pulled out all my stuff, which was amazingly undamaged. (Go figure) I got it all and went back to my room. I set it down on the bed and sorted through it. My violin was slightly cracked but it was okay. I set that on my dresser and turned back to my stuff. I put my spare change of clothes in my closet and put my coat on a hangar. I put a few pictures I had of my friends that I had and I put my radio and my few CDs on top of my TV. I put in a CD and sorted through my leftovers. Forty bucks in cash, keys, a couple of receipts and last but not least my ID card. The only thing I had of my past life. I sat down at my bed and stared at the room around me. I started to drift to sleep until I was fast asleep. Little did I know it then but the other members of the team were researching me.

"What have you got Hildy?" Jack asked.

"Ranked tenth in class S. No family, no home, and no transport. Rumored to have family debts that have forced him out of his house three years ago when his parents died. All he was allowed was his Zoid and ten bucks. He was sent away from his parent's place of employment and screwed over royally. His debt started out at over 45 million and its interest rates is completely bogus. In three years as an accomplished Zoid warrior he only got it down to twenty five million. He is in bad shape. What confuses me is why he decided to help us or save you Mia," Hildy responded.

"Well if Mia had been paying attention to her radar she would have noticed it creeping up on her. But no she was busy destroying in a rampaging fury," Jim said throwing his hands up in the air.

"Shut up won't you!" Mia yelled at him.

"Anything to suggest that he was with the Backdraft to set us up?" Mere asked.

"Now that would be really low," Jeff said, "I just don't see him doing it."

"Well if that is his real background I say we let him stay on," Mia said looking at the screen.

"You just want him because he is cute," Mere said looking at her.

"Well I was thinking to repay him," she retorted angrily.

"Girls calm down," Jack said getting up and trying to separate them.

"Jack if you value you manhood you will step away," Mere said staring right at Mia.

"Uh never mind…" he squeaked stepping back.

"Girls stop now," Jeff commanded.

"Why?" Mere asked looking at him.

"Save it for the Backdraft or any other opponent," Jeff said walking towards her.

"Yes boss," she said backing down.

"Good now Mia go check on our teammate," Jeff told her getting in between the two.

"Yes boss," she smiled walking off.

"How come I get the feeling she fell for the guy?" Jack asked once she was out of hearing range. Everyone just looked at him and sighed.

"*Yawn* Man that felt good. Now I want some food. But first the bathroom," I said getting up and stepping in. I did my business and stepped out. I grabbed my spare change of clothes and stepped into the shower. I hung my old clothes on the shower rail and started my shower. I washed and cleaned. I stepped out when I was done and put my pants on. I hung my other clothes to dry and stepped out toweling my hair and with my shirt over my shoulder. I turned towards my bed to see Mia sitting there looking at me.

"Umm Hi?" I said stopping.

"…" She smirked at me.

"You should knock Mia," I said continuing to towel my hair. I threw the towel in the air and put my shirt on then caught the towel with my hand and tossed it to a chair in the corner.

"What and miss people like you with out their shirts?" she said walking close to me.

"Well…it would at least be polite," I said backing off nervously.

"Well keep your shirt on cowboy," she told me brushing he shoulder by me. She stepped out the door and closed it. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

`So that's what they meant by a female. Can't blame their logic,' I thought picking up my towel and throwing it into my bathroom. I stepped out of the room and decided to go exploring.

`Hmm where does this hallway lead to?' I thought walking down the hallway to my left. I found a door marked training room.

"Why not?" I asked stepping in. I found weights and all kinds of machines to train with.

"Cool," I said gleefully. I walked up to a machine and looked at it. I lied down and picked up the bar. I pushed up and lifted it up. I let it slowly fall to my chest and then lifted it again.

"Well this isn't hard," I commented setting it down. I got up and looked for weights to add on. I put on a few more that said twenty and fifty on it, two on both sides. I did it again and it took a little more effort. I set it back down again. I put another bigger weight that said 100 on both sides. I lifted it up and started doing it then.

"Here we go. A lot tougher now," I said pushing it up one more time.

In the control room,

"Jeff look at this," Jack said looking at the screen in front of him.

"What?" he asked coming over.

"Newbie found the weight room and maxed out the weight machine," Jack said looking at the screen.

"Is he hurt?" Jeff asked concerned.

"Not yet. 250…251 man this guy is a machine," Jack said watching Kiros. Jim looked over at hearing this.

"How much does he have on there?" Jim asked.

"At least a thousand on each side," Jack said smiling.

"Whoa, maybe I underestimated the guy," Jim said turning back to his console. Mia came in humming happily.

"What's got you in such a good mood?" Hildy asked looking at her with a questioning look.

"The new guy has some nice muscles. Fast too," Mia said sitting down and happily humming away. Mere looked at her and looked back over at Hildy.

"Want to check him out?" Mere asked Hildy.

"Well from what I am hearing he isn't half bad," Hildy said getting up.

"404…405…406 and he is stopping. He is starting to sweat but he doesn't look like he is quitting so better get down there," Jack said looking at him.

Training room:

"Well so far it has been more or less fun. Cool a punching bag," I said getting up. I stood and punched it hard. It bounced into the air and slammed against the wall.

"He, he I guess I don't know my own strength," I said looking at the bag in the wall.

"Wow," I heard someone say.

"Yeah some nice power behind that punch," I heard another voice. I turned around to see the two other girls that gave me the nice greeting. You know the kind you give a disgusting freak.

"Umm I guess I'll fix that," I said scratching my head.

"Uh huh," Mere said glancing at Hildy. I felt a shiver up my as they smiled.

`Uh oh,' I thought slowly backing up.

"How about we see how strong you are," Hildy said watching me back up.

"I would rather not," I said making my way to the door.

"What you scared?" Mere asked. I looked at her and smiled.

"Well let me see. I got into a Zoid that took me on a super sonic trip to the top of the atmosphere and then dove straight down to pull up about five feet above the ground. Then broke the sound barrier heading straight for a mountain with no control of what was happening. Then whipping around right in front of the mountain and doing more barrel rolls than I thought possible in thirty seconds and doing a loop de loop and diving. I wasn't scared then and I'm not scared now," I said walking by her to the door. She stood there thinking until she noticed that I was almost at the door.

"Get back here," she said grabbing my shirt. I ducked down and rolled beneath her flipping her over and catching her with the flat part of my legs right be low the knee.

"I actually need to work on my Zoid if you don't mind," I said to her lowering her. I stood up and walked out of the room whistling a tune.

"Well he sure showed you," Hildy said cracking up.

"Shut up," Mere said standing and dusting her self off.

Back in the cockpit of the ship Jack and Jeff were laughing their heads off.

"What's so funny?" Jim asked walking over.

"Kiros just showed Mere up by rolling under when she grabbed his shirt. He flipped her then caught her with his shins and let her down and walked away," Jeff said between fits of laughter.

"Maybe I should talk to him or something," they heard Mia say pacing around the room. They looked at her as she paced around. She glanced at them.

"What?" she asked.

"You are so hooked on that guy. Yet we hardly know him and you have hardly said more than a few words to the guy," Jim said to her.

"Well…so?" she said defiantly.

"Jeff aren't you going to say something?" Jack asked.

"I doubt it would change her mind," Jeff said walking to the pilot's seat. Mia looked at the guys angrily and stormed off to somewhere.

`Maybe Kiros is free for some time…oh god I really have fallen for him,' she thought walking out of the command room.

Back at Kiros's room,

"Now to grab my violin and get some practice in," I said picking it up and walking to the Zoid hangar. I stepped in and sat on top of my Zoid, Shadow since I technically don't own Death Bringer. I listened to the ship for a minute till I set my violin to my neck and played the bow across the strings I played for awhile. With my audience being the group of Zoids in the bay. I sat on top of my Zoid and played just listening to my music and relaxing. I stopped after awhile to see DB semi-clapping.

"Um thanks I think," I said bowing to him. He stopped and looked over to the doorway. I looked over to where he was looking to see the three girls. They glanced at each other and walked away.

"I wonder what that was about," I asked scratching my head. DB growled something about women shaking his head. Three other Zoids growled back at him. I glanced around the room.

"I don't think you should have said that," I told him. I walked over to him and he opened the cockpit.

"I don't know the last time we did this I almost lost my lunch," I said looking at him. He growled at me.

"Okay, okay sheesh. Don't need to get your circuits riled up," I commented getting in. I strapped myself in and took the controls into my hands. I got out of the bay and launched off. I flew around the ship weaving in and out of all the extremities of the ship.

"Yahoo!" I yelled looping around the outside of the ship. I then just pulled up to the side of the eyes and looked in. I waved then just dived down pulling some Gs and relaxing in some flight. I didn't care what we would do tomorrow I just loved what was going on today.

"Kiros come in," a voice said over the COM.

"Hello?" I asked flipping the receive switch.

"Hi…hey no get away from there…" said the voice arguing with someone. I looked at the screen to see the three girls fighting over the controls to the COM.

"Uh girls?" I asked sweat dropping.

"What?" they collectively yelled.

"What is it you wanted to tell me?" I asked shrinking back a bit.

"I wanted to help you in anyway you want me to," Mia said pushing the other two away. The other two pushed her aside.

"Why don't all of you get to your Zoids then give me a call on those lines?" I asked trying to get them to stop. They stopped and looked at each other. Then they all blushed and took off running. Jeff stepped up to the COM seat.

"Well looks like you're staying on. I just want to tell you that we are going to head to our base to give the news out that we aren't taking any more applications. Just follow the ship or Death Bringer can fly you there," Jeff said waving once he finished.

"Sure thanks," I said waving back. He turned off his screen as the girls got on.

"I just wanted to let you know…" Mia began.

"I want to help you anyway…" Mere started.

"I'm the best there is I'll do it what ever…" Hildy tried.

"Hold it!" I said trying to cover my ears. They stopped.

"Now what is going on?" I asked.

"Nothing," they all said glaring at each other. DB roared and dived down cutting the COM.

"Hey what was that for?" I asked getting a grip on the controls again. The screen ahead of me flashed code.

"What do you mean it was annoying? They weren't talking to you," I said leaning against the chair. We pulled back up and the screen cleared back up to show the three girls talking about me.

"He's kind of cute but he is strong just the same," Mere said looking up.

"Oh I don't know, I think he is too much into his own world," Hildy said laughing.

"Well he sure has a diverse personality," Mia said. I clicked off the Com and hit the boosters.

`Maybe I should just head off. I don't want to get too connected,' I thought to myself. DB growled at me and rolled to the left. We were now in front of the ship and keeping pace. I had an idea and curled the wings close to DB. We dove right down and got some major speed. I reopened the wings right before the ground and slowed down enough so we hit the ground at a fun run running along the ground on all fours. I curled the wings around the main body and they fit like a second layer of armor.

"This is unbearably cool," I said pushing the throttle to the maximum.

"Whoohoo!" I said jumping off a cliff a landing on the other side. I picked up a ping on the radar. I looked over to the spot and got a close up of a white Lyger.

"Hey…I know that Lyger. That's Bit Cloud's Zoid," I said turning to get close to the guy.

"Hey who are you?" Bit asked appearing on my view screen.

"My name's Kiros. Nice to finally meet the famous Bit Cloud. Hope I see you again soon," I said waving to me.

"Well I hope you can deal with an ultimate X," Bit said proudly.

"I hope you can stand up to Death Bringer here," I replied.

"Nice name for a lizard," Bit said smiling.

"Oh he is more than a Lizard. Show him how it's done DB," I said encouragingly. He roared a large roar and unfolded his wings. He started to stand on his two back feet flapping his wings and taking off. I then got him to fly next to Bit's Lyger.

"Heh, see you around Bit," I said saluting him.

"You too," Bit said waving. The Zoids roared to each other as DB took off back up to the sky. I opened a Com to the control part of the ship.

"Hello?" Jeff said answering the call.

"Hey guess who I just saw?" I said beaming.

"Umm Bit Cloud?" Jeff asked sarcasticly.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Huh?" he asked looking at me.

"Yeah I just saw the guy straight down running in his Lyger," I said pointing downwards.

"Well I hate to tell you this but we are going to battle the guy tomorrow. So I hope you didn't get too friendly," Jeff said. I stared at the guy as if he was insane.

"Well at least tell me you didn't give him any secrets," Jeff said.

"That I didn't do. I might have given him a scare but I didn't reveal any secrets. Right DB?" I asked. He snarled.

"Right," Jeff said.

"He is just mad that he didn't get to fight the Lyger," I said kicking the cockpit. I landed on top of the ship and leaned DB into the wind. I waved goodbye to Jeff and turned off the Com.

"Well I might be able to prove myself yet," I said to DB. He growled and looked over the sky as if it was his domain.

"So do you live here?" I asked looking around. He nodded his head.

"Can we stop with the nodding?" I asked gripping the chair. Code flashed on the view screen.

"Yeah this is preferable," I said reading it. Code started to type along real fast. I read all of it when it was finished.

"Of course I read it all. I am a fast reader," I told him. I heard a growl of approval as he walked to the front of the ship. He got down on all fours then shut down systems. He opened the cockpit and let me feel the wind blowing around us.

"This is nice," I said resting. One single computer started up and typed code across it.

"Yeah it is a nice life to have. I just wish we wouldn't have to fight to live in it," I said resting to the feel of the wind in my hair. I felt the ship start its decent towards the base.

`Nice room, food, water and my Zoid repaired…what could I ask for? How can I repay them…………………do my best. That's how I will repay them,' I thought to myself firmly. I heard a growl of approval as DB took off starting up his systems and spreading his wings. I saw a very cool base with a jungle surrounding it ahead of me. DB aimed for a cave right above it. I held on as he flew in and landed easily. He fell onto his front legs and crawled forward as if heading for bed. I saw what looked like a pile of branches in the shape of a nest in the back. He popped open his cockpit and told me to get out. I stepped out and watched him crawl into his bed.

"Sleep good buddy. I think you're going to need it," I said waving to him as I walked out. I looked around the cave as I walked. Nothing much here except some old ammo shells and claw marks in the shaped of figures. I looked down at the base to see the Narwhale landing at an open field. I climbed down the cliff face to get to the bottom. I stepped out and crossed the forest like jungle till I got to the base. I stepped up to the door and hit a button. A face appeared of the ship.

"Sorry we aren't taking challengers," the young women said.

"Well I was signed on. Can I come in?" I asked.

"What Zoid do you pilot?" she asked.

"I used to pilot the Shadow Fox in the Narwhales hangar but now I think I am Death Bringer's pilot," I said thinking.

"You're joking. No one can pilot him," she scoffed shutting down the picture. I sighed and waited. I hit the button again and waited. No image. I hit it again and again.

"Didn't I tell you to leave!" she yelled at me.

"Can't you talk to the team?" I asked pleading.

"Fine you jerk," she said walking off. Jeff walked by and looked at the screen.

"Hey what's up?" he asked.

"Nothing much. I just got back from DB's cave and want to get in. But some lady keeps yelling at me. Can you get me in?" I asked hopeful.

"Sorry don't have the codes. But I'll wait for Marline to get back to let her know," he said sitting down. I smiled and nodded. I heard some ranting in the background and then a voice walked behind Jeff.

"Hey Jeff what's up?" the voice asked.

"Not much Mick, how are the repairs going?" he asked.

"That Shadow Fox is almost toast," he grumbled sitting down in the background.

"What about my Shadow Fox?" I asked pleading. I shoved my face against the screen trying to get a good look of the guy.

"So you're the pilot. What did you do?" he asked me.

"I jumped in front of a large Hiver 77 cannon shot and fell off a cliff," I told him. He stared at me.

"You are one lucky guy. I'm the tech and repair officer here. Nice to meet you…?" he asked looking at me.

"Kiros. Same to you and you are?" I asked in return.

"Mickrow Funiger. But everyone calls me Mick," he said waving. I heard fast footsteps and a screeching halt.

"Jeff out of my way!" cried a frantic voice. Jeff moved as if he was sitting on a fire ants' nest. Marline sat down and typed a few quick commands on the computer. The door opened and I smiled.

"Nice to meet you too," I said walking in. She looked very embarrassed and tried apologizing.

"Sorry Marline but I needed to find him to show our manager," Jeff said steering me away down a hall. I stumbled forward trying to keep at the pace Jeff set for me. I was steered into an office and left there. I looked around to see many pictures of the team and zoids. I started to examine them closely when I came upon DB.

"Hmmm. Man this is an old picture," I said looking at the yellowing edges.

"Yep my great, great grandfather had Death Bringer. Couldn't pilot him for beans though," a female voice said behind me. I turned around to see a young business like woman standing behind a desk.

"Uh hi," I said smiling.

"So you're the pilot of DB huh?" she asked looking me up and down.

"Not by choice," I said shrugging. She raised an eyebrow and nodded. Feet pounded down the hall then stopped. I turned around as knocking went on the door.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"Shiris! Would you know where the cute new pilot is?" Mere asked.

"What cute new pilot?" Shiris responded.

"You know the strong guy that pilots DB!" she practically screamed out. I sighed rolling my eyes and walked to the door. I opened it to a surprised and embarrassed Mere.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Uhhhhh…Uhhhhh could you help me with something?" she asked after a little while. I turned back to the other girl.

"Sorry Mere but I need to talk to him about the team," Shiris said.

"But it's urgent," Mere said glaring at Shiris. I just stood back and waited. They argued for a while and I just grabbed a seat and started to fall asleep.

"Just give me a minute," Shiris said slamming the door. My eyes snapped open when the door slammed.

"Awe man and I was sleeping good too," I said yawning.

"Okay how much do you need to pay for stuff?" Shiris asked.

"Um my zoid repaired and a few battles I guess," I said shrugging.

"Well you do want to be on the team right?" Shiris asked.

"Well sure but its no big thing. I just need to pay off some family debts then get enough money to retire and live a nice life in a house," I said shrugging. Shiris looked me over then nodded.

"A good and practical dream. Okay I'll sign you on for a while as a test run," Shiris said shooing me out. The door shut and Mere stood impatiently.

"Good now this way," Mere said grabbing my arm and hauling me off. I was led to the training area.

"What're we doing here?" I asked looking at the mat set on the floor.

"I want you to show me how you did that when you flipped me," Mere said getting ready. I stared at her and shrugged.

"I actually didn't know how to do that. I just acted. So I can't tell you," I said laughing nervously. She stared at me a second before a vein started to pulse in her forehead.

"Well show me the best you can!" she roared throwing and punch at me. I blocked it easily and knocked it away. Mere tried over and over but I just knocked it away. She fumed and tried to tackle me. I stepped aside and held my fist out so she hit my fist instead.

"I don't think. Just act," I told her helping her up. She glared at me then harrumphed and walked away grumbling. I shrugged and walked to an elevator. I hit a button and found myself in the hangar. I ran out seeing my Shadow all fix up.

"Whooohooo!" I yelled jumping up and down looking at it.

"It isn't finished yet," Mick said walking over. I stopped in mid jumped and fell down.

"Man! Well at least tell me the computer is on line," I begged.

"Oh it's fine. No memory damage or nothing," Mick said looking at me. I stood up and grinned.

"Great! But uh how do I get to DB's layer?" I asked looking at him.

"Elevator down the hall," Mick replied pointing.

"Thanks," I said bolting. I ran to the elevator and punched the button. The elevator door opened and I got in and hit the button on the inside. I got to the top and the door opened. I looked around to see I was right where DB had set me down.

"Well that figures," I said looking at the wall close behind me. I saw DB turn slightly to look at me. I felt more a `What?' than heard it.

"Well partner I am happy to let you know that a battle is coming up and that I am part of the team," I said happily.

`And?' I felt. I frowned.

"Thanks for your appreciation," I replied glaring at him.

`I am supposed to care why?' it asked sitting up. I sighed and sat down.

"Well I want to win. So do you want to practice or just sit here and let them beat you tomorrow?" I asked knowing that he would react.

`Just remember you asked for it,' I felt as DB walked over and opened the cockpit. I grinned and got in. He burst out of the cave like a bat out of hell.

"Yahoo!" I yelled grabbing the controls. I worked on the aerial moves just to get used to it. I couldn't use attack though.

`You don't need to waste ammo,' he told me.

"Thanks for the confidence," I said smiling. I folded the wings and dove down spinning. I opened the wings last moment to come above the ground and break the sound barrier.

"Woooooooooohoo!" I yelled pulling up and spiraling towards the moons. I felt weightlessness as we hovered before back flipping and flying back down. I kept my mouth closed as the gravity pushed me against the seat. He folded the wings and tucked into a ball.

"DB!" I shouted as I saw the ground come closer.

"DB!" I yelled with more urgency.

`Calm down,' DB replied. I swallowed and kept staring at the ground.

`Okay enough,' DB said pulling up and coming up just above the ground.

"The wall!" I shouted as we came into the hangar.

`Oops,' DB replied as we blew through the wall and into the hangar. We tumbled and slid across the metal. When we finally slid to a stop I was looking up to see the team and crew looking at me. I laughed nervously looking up at them from my seat. I pointed to DB and said, "He did it." I heard a growl and saw DB's arm point at me.

"No seriously! He did it!" I cried out and an argument went on for who is to blame. I looked to see Mere, Mia and Hildy in either a state of laughing or shaking her head. Jeff looked like he was getting a migraine and Shiris glaring at me