Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ Moments before the End ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Looks like you altered the plans." Spence was waiting to see what Angel had in mind.

"Opportunity knocked and we answered. This will work just as well. We need to get the Zoids ready for battle."

"I like this. Two people have been fatally injured, so there's no way they could be prepared for battle." Sara was a step ahead of Angel and all ready gave the order to prepare the Zoids for battle.

"Oh, I'm sure they'll be more than prepared for battle, but I doubt they're prepared to see anything like the Berserk Fury." Palta knew they could rely on the Zoid's new power, but the one he doubted was Vega.

"Van will know we're close by because this job has our style written all over it. We'll meet them half way when they come for us." The day of revenge was finally coming.

While everybody was preparing their Zoid for battle, Vega sat in the cockpit of the Fury for the first time since he awakened. He began talking to him like he had done many times before. His conversation was interrupted when Palta came up to the Fury's cockpit.

"I'm surprised to see you here, now."

"I was told to get the Fury ready for battle. I'm just waiting for everyone else."

Palta's gut instincts didn't believe what Vega said. "What will you do, Vega? Stay and fight, or desert us?"

Van and Leena were thinking along the same lines as they looked at the people they loved suffering in the hospital. Would they leave them, or would they be able to pull through?

As a warrior, Van felt the urge to do something, but he didn't know what. He left the room to talk to his friends.

"I think it's safe to say we'll be heading into battle soon." Van looked around the waiting room as everyone nodded in agreement. "Anybody got any news for me?'

Moonbay hated to say what she knew, but she had too, "I was informed a minute ago that Bit's parents should be arriving soon."

It took him a minute to process what she was saying, "Yes, of course. They have every right to be here. I just don't know what we'll say to them."

"Let me tell talk to them. I know Ivan and Erica, so it might be easier for me to explain everything." Even though there was a lot to explain, Moonbay knew it was time to tell them the truth.

Van left again to check on Bit and Leena. She told him there was still no change in his condition. "I've been talking to him, trying to bring him back to us, but he still won't open his eyes."

"Thank you, Leena. He needs someone familiar that cares about him by his side." She was surprised that Colonel Freiheit had concluded that she loved Bit, but when she thought about it, nobody could deny she had feelings for him.

When Van left the room, Leena thought she heard a murmur. She looked at Bit who still had his eyes closed, but she heard the noise again. "Bit? Can you hear me? Look at me."

Bit had to struggle to open his eyes, but when he saw Leena standing over him, he was glad he did. "Hey." It was weak, but it was better than nothing.

Leena's face lit up the room more than the sunlight. "Thank, God! You had everyone so worried, Bit. I was so scared when the doctors said…"

He interrupted her, "I'm glad to see you're here."

"I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. You're probably wondering what happened."

"No, I remember what happened well. Did Fiona make it?"

"She's stable for now and she's recovering in the room next to us. The doctors say it could go either way and told Van to be prepared. I've never seen anyone look so devastated before."

Bit hated to hear that because Fiona was so caring towards him. She was a good woman and Van was a good man, but he had to know if they were who he thought, "Has Van said anything to you since we got here?"

"He only told me to stay with his son while he stayed with his wife." Leena let the news sink in before speaking again, "I don't understand how that's possible, but I know Van cares for you. It'd be good for you two to talk, when you feel like it."

That was the problem there. Bit didn't know whether or not he felt like it. How could Van and Fiona be his parents when he was raised by Ivan and Erica? What was the real story?

"I don't really feel like talking to him."

"Aren't you curious to find out what's going on?"

"Not really."

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Bit had the opportunity to find out about himself, yet he didn't want too. "I never told you anything about my mom. Did Leon ever mention her to you?"

He shook his head.

"I don't really remember her. I can picture her in my mind, but that's about it. Leon told me some stories that he remembered, and so did Dad. It can't replace the fact I don't have my own memories of her."

Bit didn't say a word as he just sat there staring at the ceiling. Leena continued, "Don't pass this by so casually. The least you could do is listen to what they have to say."

All the information was overwhelming him. He grew up knowing two people were his parents and now he finds out the leaders of the Guardian Force are his parents. He won the Royal Cup Tournament, was invited to train with the GF, and now he was lying in a hospital bed unable to move his left arm.

A nurse came in and was excited to see Bit awake. She tried lifting his left arm but he shook his head. She smiled at him and told him the doctor would be in to talk to him. Leena knew what he was going to say.

"Do you want me to leave?"

"I'm guessing you all ready know what he's going to say, so you can go out and wait if you want."

Outside, Leena caught up with Moonbay and told her how he was doing. Moonbay and the rest of the group were glad to hear that he regained consciousness. They also had to explain to her how Van and Fiona were his parents.

"I know Van's anxious to talk to him. He has a lot he wants to explain to him. They were waiting for the right moment to tell him, but it looks like this is how it will be." Irvine got Van out of Fiona's room and told him it was okay to see Bit now. Van nodded and stood outside the door until the doctor left.

"I owe you an explanation. I hope you can understand…" To be polite, everyone went back to the lobby and waited.

Van took the time to explain everything from the beginning. He showed him the pictures of him when he was a baby and told him that he always carried it with him. It was the last picture he had of him, until the Zoid battles began. It was tough to relive the night that Thomas and Irvine told them about the bounty the Daggers put on his life. Bit sat in shock as his past was being unfolded to him. He even explained the fusion of Zeke and the Liger Zero. This was the reason their relationship was so special. Finally, he told him about Moonbay and her role in saving his life.

"But it looks like I couldn't protect you, after all. You were only meters away from me, and I couldn't do anything."

The wounded warrior took in even more overwhelming information. He thought about what Leena said about the past. He could only imagine the effects that decision had on Van and Fiona. The pain in Van's eyes was still there after all these years.

Bit tried to sit up, but had a hard time with just one arm. "I accepted this with the job. I knew I could be injured or even killed, so why would you blame yourself?"

For the first time in sixteen years, Van said what he always wanted, "I am your father, Bit. No matter what you do or how old you are, it will always be my job to protect you."

"I don't blame you for any of it." Bit knew how important it was for him to say those words, but it was still hard to say. He could see the guilt easing away from Van's soul.

"I should be thanking you for trying to help Fiona. It was very brave of you."

"She'll be okay, right?"

"God, I hope so."

Moonbay slowly opened the door and told Van that Bit's parents were here. He stood up and told Bit that he would give him all the time he needed to talk to them. Hopefully, Bit would still feel like talking later.

"How'd they take the news?"

"Surprisingly well. I told them to think about what they would have done if the situation was reversed. They said you and Fiona are probably the bravest people they've ever heard of." He smiled at the compliment.

His smile quickly faded though, "I don't think Bit wants to accept what he's been told."

"It's a lot of information for him to handle in his condition. It has nothing to do with not wanting to accept you and Fiona as his parents."

"She's right, Van. I hate to say this now, but we do have a battle to prepare for." Irvine felt the need to keep Van's mind occupied on other matters.

Bit could hear them talking right outside his room. If they were heading into battle, he wanted to be there, too. He talked to the people that raised him and thanked them for everything they did.

"I loved growing up with you. You taught me all about Zoids, and encouraged me to become a Zoid pilot. I loved the fact that you always made me feel safe, and nobody can take that away from me."

Erica got up and kissed him on the forehead. "You completed our lives, Bit. We knew someday you would know the truth, but I didn't think we'd be learning it the same time you were."

"We can't stop you from fighting," Ivan touched Bit's injured arm, "because it's something you feel you need to do. Let me say this though, I've always loved you as a son, and that's how I still feel."

Bit thought about the times that he and his father spent in the Zoid hangars. He thought about the times his mother read him stories and stayed up with him when he was sick. His mind also went back to the memory he gained when he and Fiona were shot in the guard tower. He began humming the song that he heard Fiona sing. Bit was very fortunate to have all these memories, and then he thought of Leena. She said she could picture her mother, but she had no real memories of her.

"I have these feelings of resentment towards Van and Fiona, yet they sacrificed so much for me. How could I be so cold?"

"We'll be back later, son. You need to get your rest, and I'm sure there are still some things you and Van need to discuss."

They left and let Van enter the room again. Bit was trying to get out of bed when Van stopped him.

"What's the rush? The doctors haven't released you, yet."

"Irvine said you wanted to prepare for battle, so I'm getting ready."

"Wait a second; you can't fight in that condition."

Bit looked Van straight in the eyes, "I've been in rough shape before and still battled. The Liger and I have an understanding, and he compensates wherever I'm lacking."

"Your injuries are serious, Bit, going into a fight now is deadly."

When Bit stood up, he felt a little dizzy, but tried to hide it from Van. "Fiona is fighting for her life right now. I haven't even gotten a chance to talk to her as my mother. We couldn't be a real family, because someone had a vendetta against us. Do you think I can just lie here and do nothing?"

Bit's words touched Van. He wanted to talk to Fiona and get to know her as his mother. From the look in his eyes, Van knew there was no stopping him. "The doctors have ordered you to stay here for a couple more nights. That's what you should be doing now."

"I realize that, but something tells me you would do the same thing I'm doing." Van tried to hide his smirk, but Bit caught it. "I guess I know where I get my stubbornness from."

"Looks like we'll be fighting this one together." Van and Bit shook hands, as comrades and as father and son.