Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ The Son Rises ❯ The Inevitable ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vega still spent time with the Fury, but his conversations were much different.

"Take your time. We have all the time in the world. There's no need for you to rush." Vega rubbed his head in exhaustion. He hadn't slept since he heard the conversation between Sara and the Daggers. He was torn between his loyalties and his dream to fight great battles.

Major Palta stepped into the room. "What are you doing, Vega?"

Without even looking up, he replied, "Nothing."

"Why don't I believe you?"

"Do you think I care?"

Palta was surprised. Vega was an excellent pilot, but he always acted like a little kid. Since his Zoid fell to the Liger Zero, Vega matured, although Palta still couldn't figure out something.

"Do you even want a rematch with the Liger?"

Vega was shocked by the question, "Why do you ask?"

"You know what's happening with the Backdraft, that's why we made an alliance with the Ice Daggers. Do you have a problem with that?"

If there was one thing Palta was good at, it was reading people. He knew Vega wanted to fight in battles, but he didn't want to take down the whole ZBC. He also knew Vega couldn't tell Sara any of that.

"I'll do what I need to do." Vega didn't go into detail as to what exactly he would do. Would he follow his mother's lead?

When Palta finally left the room, Vega continued talking to his Zoid, "Tell me what to do, Fury. I don't know what to do."

The Zoid's eyes flashed a crimson red and seemed to grow bigger. Vega's tired eyes were wide open when he saw the water in the tank bubble and overflow. A technician ran into the room when he heard the blaring alarm. He punched a button that evacuated the water out of the tank.

Sara ran into the room along with the chief scientist. The tech and scientist hustled to the computer that was busy printing out reports and statistics. Spence walked in with the rest of his group and stood by the door.

"Vega, tell me what happened!" Sara looked at him as if what was happening was his fault.

He shook his head vigorously from side to side, "He started acting up a few minutes ago. Then the tech came in, and then you came."

"Sara! You need to see this!"

The scientist handed her the printouts on the Berserk Fury. She dropped them the minute she heard Spence exclaim, "What the hell happened to him?"

The Fury shattered the tank surrounding it and began to lash out at everybody. An emergency landing had to be made before the Fury tore apart the Whale King.

Without hesitation, Vega took off after his renegade Zoid. "FURY! Wait!"

When he first broke the tank, Vega could feel vast amounts of energy and anger. It worried him as he confronted the evolved Zoid.

Just outside the Whale King, everybody looked at the two partners. Spence asked Sara a question, "Why is he red?"

Sara conferred with the scientist and the technician. They each went over the statistics from the lab. "I have no idea. But I do know that this is a much stronger Zoid than we had before."

Angel finally seemed to take an interest in what was happening. Nick left the group and took a walk around. Jaq took the papers away from Sara and examined them for herself. "She's right. The stats are unlike anything I've ever seen."

"Does this mean Lady Luck finally grants us a favor?"

"Could be, Angel."

Spence tried to get closer to Vega and the new Fury.

"Stop it, Fury! It's me, Vega." He spoke sternly to his partner.

The Zoid finally calmed down enough to look at the young man.

"Good. Now, we have to get you back to the Whale King. You need to get into a hangar before the Guardian Force detects you, if it's not too late."

At the name of the Guardian Force, the Berserk Fury stopped following its pilot. Vega turned around slowly to see why he stopped. Everybody held their breath in anticipation.

"Not now. We can't afford for you to be detected. Do you understand?"

Vega's plead was heard and the Zoid quickly powered down. Out of curiosity, Vega wanted to see what kind of new powers were being withheld. Out of fear of the GF, he knew he better wait.

The Backdraft group wasn't the only ones having trouble that night. Bit woke up from a vicious nightmare. He wiped away the sweat from his face, and went into the bathroom. He was drenched in sweat and felt completely exhausted, yet he wasn't sleepy anymore. It was only two in the morning. Bit hopped in the shower and changed clothes. Maybe a walk around the base would help him get back to sleep.

Everything was quiet around the sleeping quarters. Leena was probably asleep and he didn't dare wake her. He felt the urge to talk to someone, and then he remembered what Van said. Anytime he needed to talk, he would be available.

"I doubt he'd be up this early in the morning. I'd probably get yelled at if I woke him." He finally realized who he could talk to - the Liger Zero.

The walk to the hangars led him to the one person he didn't expect to see. Fiona seemed to be talking to the Liger. Bit didn't say a word, but stood in the shadows listening.

She looked like she hadn't slept in days. He couldn't make out what she was saying, because she wasn't saying anything. She was humming.

He walked slowly towards her until he made out the tune. It sounded so familiar, but he couldn't place where he had heard it. She stopped humming and started singing.

"I am a transporter, of the wasteland. I'm just singing and making it up as I go along…" Bit's mind raced with different possibilities. He knew that song from somewhere.

Fiona noticed the Liger's eyes glow. She whirled around to see Bit standing in the background.

"Oh, it's you Bit. You really startled me." The worried look in her eyes made Bit wonder what was wrong.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to disturb you. I couldn't sleep, so I figured I'd have a talk with my partner. I know it sounds weird."

"Not at all. I couldn't sleep myself. What made you get up?"

"I had this nightmare. I can't really describe it though; it was just more like an evil feeling."

Fiona stood astounded. She woke up from a nightmare, too. In her dream, Bit was fighting an enemy in the Liger Zero. He was loosing badly as the Liger was being torn apart. Fiona never saw the enemy. All she could see were flashes of red appearing and disappearing.

Bit noticed the look in Fiona's eyes. "What's the matter?"

She shook away the memory and told him that everything was fine.

"Do you mind if I ask what made you come down here?"

Fiona decided it would be a bad idea to tell him that she feared for his safety. "There's a lot of work to be done, and so little time. You still have more tests to go through, and the Liger must be in top condition to pass them all."

Her uneasy smile made Bit wonder. He didn't see any mechanical equipment around. What was she really doing with the Liger? And why was the Liger so easygoing around her and Van?

"You're right. I should be getting some sleep now. I'm sure Colonel Freiheit wouldn't appreciate me being late today."

"You'll be fine, Bit. You have a promising life ahead of you."

She watched him walk away and the memory of Moonbay taking him in the Gustav suddenly came back to her. Zeke looked out the open hangar door. His growl got Fiona's attention.

"I sense it too, Zeke. And I think in some way, Bit sensed the same thing."