Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ Two Birds, One Arrow ❯ Birds of Prey ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Geez… to be honest, I was hoping someone would have seen my most recent chapter. I guess I was too presumptuous. Well, time to move on with the next one. We're about to take this into the home stretch, people! So review, review, and don't forget, review! In short, R&R! Oh, and before I begin, I haven't seen Chaotic Century enough to understand its world. I don't know the origin of the Organoids, so if that was covered, please forgive me for making my own story on how they came to exist, particularly about Zeeg.

Brad: You know, I think they get it.

Me: You know, I think if you want to get paid, you'll shut up and let me talk, thank you.

Brad: That hurt. I thought we were close, man.

Me: Only when we're working toward a common goal. Any other time, I'm a loner, just

like you.

Brad (shrugging): I can respect that.

Me: So long as we're clear on that… Leena, could you click the 'Disclaimer' button for

me, pretty please?

Disclaimer- I do not own Zoids, nor do I act as such. All rights belong to whoever owns it, and, sorry to say, it's not gonna be me…

(Leena laughs, I hold up a fic titled "Layon Mistook Me for My Mother, And…" Leena shuts up with the quickness and apologizes, as she should.)

Now, before I was so rudely interrupted… this fic is, and will always be, for entertainment purposes only. No profit.

Now let's get this started, and more people, please, review this time? Pretty please? I'm begging you, okay? Here it is… chapter nine…

Birds of Prey

"Son… Jamie and Wild Eagle… your coexistence… has been our family's greatest secret."

~What!?~

/What!?/

"What're you talking about, dad?"

"I'm saying the Wild Eagle's appearance in you isn't another strange coincidence."

"So, then… what is it?"

"It's a phase that happens to every male in our family throughout each generation."

"I don't understand…"

"So that explains it!" Tauros exclaimed.

"I kinda figured you saw through it back then, Steven," said Oscar.

"How could I not? All the sudden changes in personality… I have to tell you, Oscar, there were times when it really scared me."

"Uh… doc?" Jamie interrupted, "could you let me in on what's going on?"

"Well, Jamie… your father is saying that he, too, developed a Wild Eagle within him when he was just about your age."

"Okay... thanks, Doc. Now I'm lost."

"Jamie, you shouldn't be," Oscar said calmly. "Do you know of our ancestor, Raymond Hemeros, who lived over one thousand years ago?"

"No… but what does that have to do with anything?"

"He was one of the leading researchers in Zoids, and one of the first to realize that they were all living creatures and not machines. He was a man who marveled at everything about Zoids, but particularly their ability to evolve at will."

"I really don't see where this is going, dad…"

"You will. Just wait a minute." Oscar stood, and placed his back on the nearest wall, putting a thoughtful hand to his chin.

"Raymond believed," he continued, "that the ability to evolve upon the need, or to "perfect oneself", as he had put in his notes, could be attained by any living creature, provided that they have the proper genetic coding."

"So… what you're saying is that his research is responsible for the Wild Eagle?" Jamie asked skeptically. Oscar started to pace back and forth, while Jamie, who hadn't gotten up since the guards threw him in the cell, followed him closely with his eyes.

"Well, yes… and no. It's true that Raymond's work led to the mental existence of the Wild Eagle, but it wasn't what he intended. Back then, most Zoids were feral, and they had no qualms with ripping others to shreds. He looked at the genetic material of those killed in battle and came across a strange gene, which he nicknamed 'Code Z,' obviously because it belonged only to Zoids."

"Are you telling me he tried to duplicate it?"

Oscar stopped for a moment and looked Jamie squarely in the face.

"Not just duplicate it. He also attempted to incorporate it into himself."

"What? Was he nuts?"

"Not that I know of… he just seemed to be a little extreme. But think about it. It's not surprising that he used himself as a guinea pig. Would you have believed him then?"

"No…"

"So he had no choice. He performed countless experiments on himself until he was certain he had incorporated Code Z into his genetic material. Days later, also found in his notes, he started hearing a strange voice in his head. He checked out his DNA and found that it was mutating."

"I don't get it."

"It changed the structure of his psyche, and the first 'Wild Eagle' was born. Well, he didn't call it the Wild Eagle because he thought he was going insane. The backfiring in his research led him to suicide a few years later."

"Gee, dad," said Jamie flatly, "that doesn't sound too pleasant."

"It wasn't. He died without any of his research being noted or credited, which was a shame, too, because it was during those years when he unleashed his greatest work. He alone is the creator of what we know now as the Organoids."

Wild Eagle took over.

"Wait a sec-run that by me again?"

"Of course. I figured you'd want to know about this more than Jamie. He tried to figure out what went wrong with his work, and so, he went to great extremes to capture a Zoid of his own. When he did, he began injecting it with his own DNA. Apparently, the Zoid began to mutate, and grew more diminutive in size each day. When the process was completed, a little dinosaur-esque creature stood in its place. Oddly enough, the process only took a week or so. He named the creature 'Organoid.'"

"So he created what led to the system that Bit's Zoid uses?"

"Yes, unfortunately for him. That one was not the only Organoid he created. Pleased with his work, he began to capture several other Zoids and put his DNA in them. The process ended the same way, only with different results in the form each Zoid took. He didn't go into specifics with those, or, at least, he didn't have the time to. When word got out concerning the creatures in his lab, people were frightened. They thought he was a mad scientist cruelly experimenting on Zoids, and soon, they were ready to lock him away. In a last-ditch effort, he launched the Organoids into space and killed himself."

"But if every male has this gene, then he would have had to have a child, right?"

"Yes. I'm assuming he had some loyal followers or assistants who believed in his work, so maybe during his crazy years, he married one, but we will never know."

"What happened to the Organoids in space?"

"We'll never know that either, but they must have returned to this planet at some point."

Wild Eagle was silent, so Jamie decided to take over again.

"Dad… so, every man in our family from that point on went through what Raymond did?"

"Yep. The only difference is that they didn't kill themselves and he did. I guess he must have been so uncertain about the change that he never embraced it, and so it destroyed him slowly. You and I, however, obviously did embrace it, and it made us who we are now."

"But it seems like such a useless change, doesn't it?"

/Hey!/

~Sorry. But, I mean, it didn't really do anything for us, did it?~

"Do you really think the change is useless, Jamie?" Oscar asked, utterly shocked that Jamie, his intelligent strategist of a son had managed to say a statement that could be so untrue.

"I just don't see how it isn't."

"Think about the changes you've undergone since Wild Eagle surfaced."

Jamie thought about it and a look of understanding dawned on his face. He stood up and looked at his father, who nodded at him.

"You understand now, don't you?" Oscar planted himself firmly in front of Jamie, smiling.

"There were rumors decades ago that any Zoid fused with an Organoid acquired the power of regeneration and a new ability to maximize its potential skills, which means the evolution process was accelerated even further. We didn't get the regeneration because we were the host of the gene, not the result of a fusion, but we did to some extent get the ability to bring out our very best potential. In other words, we are an inferior variation of the same product. We have become great Zoids pilots, and you will probably surpass me and keep improving so long as the Wild Eagle's presence stays in you."

"Geez…I never realized how much I've changed until now."

"Wild Eagle?" Tauros asked. Jamie and his counterpart switched again.

"Yes?"

"Just… out of curiosity… how have you been feeling lately?"

"I guess like I've been fading, doc. It seems that I'm just about done taking Jamie as far as I can."

~What? You never told me you were fading away!~ Jamie indignantly exclaimed.

/Couldn't you tell?/ Wild Eagle demanded softly, but nonetheless with just as much indignation. He couldn't be completely certain, but the cold, vulnerable ripple he felt in his head seemed to express guilt from Jamie.

~No, I couldn't.~

/Be honest, Jamie./

~… yeah, kinda…. But I thought you would've said something about it if it was that serious, you know?~

/God, Jamie, when have I ever come right out and told you how I feel?/

~Good point.~ There was an awkward moment of silence between the two. Jamie spoke up again first.~So… what do we do now?~

/We get you ready for our final battle together. What's it look like?/

~Whadda ya mean, 'final'? How close are you to disappearing, then?~

/Quite close, I'm afraid. I don't have much more in me to give./

"Is something wrong, Wild Eagle?" Oscar asked. It was Jamie who answered.

"Yes, there's something wrong! What's going to happen to him when he disappears?"

"When he disappears, he will meld with your consciousness because he will have taken you as far as you can go, Jamie. If you're worried about losing him, it's no good. The process is inevitable."

"But I don't want him to go!" Jamie yelled. His face was burning and his skin was beet red as he clenched his fists, gritted his teeth, and tried to fight back tears. "He was right, you know. It's not fair!"

"It's not something you can control, either-"

"And that's not something I wanna hear, dad! If… if realizing my ultimate potential means losing my best friend in the process, then I wanna stay mediocre forever!"

/Jamie…/

"You think I didn't feel like that then?" Oscar replied. Jamie did not answer. His eyes and muscles slightly softened, however. Oscar showed no signs of anger, but Jamie could tell from the tone in Oscar's voice, that he was straining to find the proper words to mask his pain. "Even when I willed the Wild Eagle not to disappear, he did. He can't stay around just because you want him as a friend. That's not his purpose, and I swear I would make it otherwise if I could, but it's a force you can't fight. I'm sorry, son…."

"Why didn't you tell me this would happen, dad?" Jamie's voice was now breaking with every other syllable.

"It's tradition. You're not supposed to know until after it's happened. Just in case telling you before it happens messes up the process. It's supposed to be a miraculous, sudden change, not something you've been expecting your whole life. Wild Eagle, I know you understand what will happen, but I am… sorry."

Wild Eagle returned.

"Ah, don't sweat it. If I gotta go, then I gotta go. Besides, I'm not really leaving Jamie…."

~But it won't be the same. I'll never be able to talk to you again….~

/Uh… Jamie, you've been talking to yourself all this time technically. You know that right?/ Jamie could feel a ripple in his head that suggested the Wild Eagle was grinning. That reinforced his fear; if he could actually feel Wild Eagle's emotions now, how close was his friend to disappearing? It was like his and Wild Eagle's feelings were meshing.

~Arg! This is no time for jokes. You know what I mean!~

/Yeah, and I also know what your father said is true. It can't be helped, and it can't be changed. When I have done everything I can for you, I will disappear, and there's nothin' you can do./

~Just watch me!~

/Jamie…/

"Dad?" Jamie asked.

"What is it, Jamie?"

"I'm gonna change tradition. I don't know how yet, but I'm gonna find a way to save Wild Eagle."

______________

"I can't believe he did that!" Ashley said for the fifth time. She'd been pacing back and forth in the living room ever since she'd learned what Jamie had done. "No one knows the Backdraft like I do. They're going to eat him alive! It's like throwing yourself into a den of wolves! How could he do that without a second thought?"

"You're wrong," Stoler said. "Not wolves. Raptors. Red Raptors."

"Okay," Ashley said, pointing a threatening finger at Stoler, who calmly sipped his tea and did not look her way. "This is no time for jokes, Stoler. If we don't do something Jamie is going to die. Oscar is going to die. Tauros will die. They're all dead if we can't find a way to get them out of there and away from the base."

"First of all," Stoler began, "that joke was meant to calm your nerves. You're in no condition to help if you're freaking out like that. Take it from an old man like me. Bad nerves will only make things worse."

"You're right. Sorry."

"Secondly," he added, "you don't know the Backdraft like I do. You don't have to worry about how we're going to get them all out safely. I've got it covered."

"What do you mean?" Ashley asked as she sat down across from him. He sipped his tea again and looked up at her.

"I'm saying there are people inside of the Backdraft who will help Jamie and the others get out. We just have to wait until they give the word to attack. Pierce knows about them, too. They helped her escape as well, if you recall."

"I see…" For the first time since Ashley started pacing, she had genuinely calmed. "Speaking of Pierce, where is she?"

"Probably in the hangar or the control room." Stoler took another sip as Brad walked in the room.

"What's up?" he said nonchalantly as he sat on the sofa and stretched.

"We were trying to find out where Pierce is," Ashley explained. "I'm worried about where her head is in all of this."

"Then you clearly don't know Pierce."

"What's that supposed to mean, Stoler?" Ashley said playfully, but with a short undertone of offense. Stoler sighed and smiled.

"I'm just saying that Pierce doesn't let things get to her. The only time she goes into overdrive is when competition arises. Other than that, she thinks things through, even when she is upset about a certain situation. In any case, Brad, could you go and see what Pierce is planning to do? We haven't heard anything from her since she went to talk to Jamie before he left."

"Sure. No biggie."

He made his way to the control room, only to find that no one was there.

"She must be in the control room," he said sarcastically to no one. "Shoulda known…."

And he should have. After all, she was so much like Bit, far more concerned with the piloting of Zoids than maintenance and strategy-that was Jamie's thinking place. She would undoubtedly be able to think more clearly in the hangar; of course, Brad couldn't really see how, though. Her Zoid-and Jamie's, for that matter-were nowhere to be found, but he went to the hangar anyway, and, lo and behold, she was there, sitting on the paw of Liger Zero next to Bit.

"So, we have no choice but to attack them head-on?" Bit asked. Pierce responded with a simple nod. Bit shrugged reluctantly. "Well, Leena will love that, that's for sure."

"I really don't know how to plan this out," said Pierce immediately as though she hadn't heard Bit. "I mean, I can do very well in a small battle without orders, but a battle on this scale of severity, not to mention all the things at stake…"

"Then you should ask for help," Brad advised. She looked up. "It doesn't help to be secretive in the planning stage. No one else will know what you're doing. The only reason we're not briefed about our missions beforehand is because we have two expert strategists working, but when you don't have that benefit, it's wiser to consult everyone than to take on the task all by yourself."

"I guess you're right…" she said slowly, smiling with gratitude. "I take it that was a life-learned lesson?"

"Course not. I'm a mercenary. I get paid to be able to handle my own. They just don't pay me for making plans, is all." Bit fell over.

"You know," Bit pointed out flatly, "doc won't pay you at all if he gets killed. Just thought I'd refresh your memory."

"Good point. I'll just ask for more money when we set him free."

"Good grief, Brad." Bit was overcome with exasperation. "Is there ever a time when you put people before payment?"

"Not really… on second thought, nope. My own mother doesn't get a dime from me."

"That's pretty cold," Pierce said, mildly laughing. Brad smiled.

"You would think so, wouldn't you? The irony is that it was my mom who raised me that way. 'When you get on your own two feet, never a borrower or lender be, but make sure everyone else owes you something all the same.' My golden rule…" He sighed fondly. "The good old days… brings me back."

"At least we know your soul wasn't sucked out at a young age…" Bit said, shrugging for lack of comprehension. Brad played along.

"Nah… just the unnecessary things… my tact… my honesty… my conscience… but not my soul. I don't think I should ever sell my soul for profit."

"Oh, god… you two are too much," Pierce said, barely able to keep herself from rolling on the floor in a fit of hysterical laughter. "I have to get out of here before I die laughing."

"Yeah… we should tone it down. Jamie wouldn't be pleased about that," Brad said. "Come to think of it, neither would I. All the compensation I'd have to give up for killing you…"

"Okay, okay. Stop, please!" Pierce pleaded, and she ran out the room, but not before she told them to have everyone meet her in the control room in an hour. One hour later, Ashley, the Champ Team, Stoler, the Lightning Team, the incomplete Blitz Team, and the Fluegel Team all met Pierce for what they expected was a conference that concerned their next move. Pierce was looking out the window of the Tauros Base as they entered and took whatever seats were available. No one spoke; instead, they waited for Pierce to start talking.

"Okay," she began as she turned to face them, "as you all know, things aren't looking too good in terms of numbers. We are missing three Zoids, or at least two," she said, correcting herself as she thought about the Pteras, "and they are both aerial Zoids, no less, one of which with the capabilities to turn the tide in this seemingly futile battle-yes, Harry?"

"Well, you're forgetting my influence," he said, standing boldly as everyone else who knew him personally either sighed, sweatdropped, lowered their heads, or laughed nervously; nothing Harry Champ said could ever not be annoying. "With my money, we could get quite a few flying Zoids. I know they might not measure up to Jamie's Raynos, even with their combined strength, but we should at least have a better chance than we do now."

"Wow," Bit said, "and here I was thinking you were gonna say something stupid again."

"Hey, shut up, will ya?"

"Yeah!" Sebastion added. "That's our leader you're speaking too."

"Well, ya gotta admit he says some stupid things…" Brad replied subtly. Sebastian's silence clearly signified that he was giving in.

"True," Benjamin said. "He does say some pretty useless things every now and then…."

"God… my own teammates abandoned me. I don't get any respect."

"Aww, Harry…" Leena crooned. Harry's ears twitched; after all, Leena's voice to him was like a warm, summertime melody atop a soft, gentle breeze, like the sweet, pacifying scent that permeated from flowers in full bloom, like-well, you get the idea. "But you have to admit, we were justly surprised at how intelligent your suggestion was."

"Gee, thanks Leena," he said, giggling uncontrollably. Bit and the others marveled at how he'd taken the rephrased insult as a compliment simply because Leena had said it; as far as Bit was concerned, anything Leena had to say couldn't possibly be good, and he sweatdropped.

"Can we continue, please?" Pierce said with urgency. Everyone's attention was on her again. "That will definitely be useful, Harry. How many can you have ready by tomorrow?"

"Hmm… well, I could probably get one or two Stormsworders by then. If I had a little longer, definitely more, though. I have a Zabat secured in my hangar-I like to collect Zoids as well, you see…"

"Um… well, get as many as you can-I'll pass on the Zabat, thanks. Can any of your teammates pilot flying Zoids at all?"

"Well, originally, that was what Benjamin was going to do."

"Then reserve one for me and for Benjamin. I'd appreciate it if you could get on top of that A.S.A.P."

"Got it."

"Okay," Pierce continued, "the next problem is the shield. Their barriers are just too strong for us to break through. Not even the Raynos was able to handle that, but this is a problem depending more so on Jamie's success inside, not our sheer force outside."

"What do you mean?" Ashley asked.

"We have contacts in the Backdraft who are probably working to get Jamie and the others out as we speak. We will be on standby until they inform us of the safety of the prisoners. From that point on, we will fake an attack and act as decoys, giving them a feeling that we are their primary threat. This will divert most attention away from Jamie so that he and Oscar, who will probably be piloting my Stormsworder for me, will be able to attack them from within, thus weakening the amount of power they can put behind their shields. It's a tactical problem that involves a good deal of timing on both our parts; I'm sure Jamie already realizes this."

The others murmured mildly amongst themselves, discussing the idea as Pierce looked on. She did not show it through her stern exterior, but she was thoroughly pleased with the sound of consent as each of them discussed whether or not the plan was a good one.

~So this is what Jamie does for his team… interesting...~

"But there's one problem," Brad pointed out.

"Yes?"

"How do we get the Backdraft to consider 13 Zoids, currently our ideal maximum, as a threat? I don't know about you, but I'm superstitious. That's an unlucky number."

"It's simple, well, as simple as it's going to get. I'm sure you already know what we have to do, Mr. Strategist-For-Hire." Brad's cheeks turned a minor tinge of pink, but not enough for everyone-well, almost everyone, as Naomi eyed her beloved very carefully-to notice. "Do you realize what I'm saying?"

"I guess so. The only ways to make them think 13 Zoids are a threat are to either convince them we have much more than that or at least that these are 13 of the most powerful Zoids straight from hell, and since they already know that we only have two that may be that powerful… it will have to be the first idea. We'll need an illusion, or an elaborate smokescreen, to be exact."

"Right, and, my dear pilot of the Command Wolf, that's where you come in."

"Got it. I'll shut up now," and he struggled to stop himself from blushing more, particularly because he could see Naomi smiling at his embarrassment.

"I've been making some… slight modifications to my Legend," Ashley said helpfully.

"Really? Do you think they'll be significantly useful?"

"Yes, if used just right. I've added a device that may actually absorb some of the energy behind the enemy's shields to help weaken them even more, if we're lucky. The only problem is that if I perform at any output over 20%, my Zoid will overheat as long as I have the device on, and so, I'll be useless as a decoy. I will need some of you to run interference for me and keep me, or the device at least, from being damaged."

"My team will handle that," Jack Sisqo volunteered. "Besides, it'd be cool to be working alongside such a celebrity as yourself," he admitted. His teammates giggled. "Knock it off, you two!"

"I guess that will be all for today…" Pierce said. "You're all dismissed. Begin making preparations for the final battle."

As they all left out of the room, one by one, Brad stayed behind. He looked at Pierce and smiled.

"You seem to really be getting into this temporary role…."

Pierce shrugged and smirked.

"Well, what can I say? I like being in a position of authority."

______________

"So, what are you up to, doc?" Tirano asked as he followed hastily behind Layon, who swept through each hallway swiftly.

"You'll see. The process is almost complete."

"Hold on, doc. What process? I'm not following you. What's goin' on?"

"You'll see," Layon emphasized much to Tirano's dismay.

"This sucks, doc. I just want you to know that."

"Ah, stop whining and suck it up. The suspense will be well worth it when we get there… and here we are!" They stopped in a room that seemed big enough to be a hangar, but there was a bunch of technical and experimental equipment all over the place, and in the center, the Raynos, Warshark, Stormsworder, and Gojulas, each with their own fair share of wires and other things attached to them. All the cockpits were open, and a bunch of workers were tending to each Zoid as they busily jumped in and out of the cockpits. It was a lab of some sort. Tirano was open-mouthed, and, for a moment, speechless.

"Doc… what… is this?"

"So, what do you think? As soon as we acquired the Raynos, we immediately set to taking its system and incorporating it into the Stormsworder, a Gojulas meant for you, and my Warshark. These will be prototypes. If the tests are proven successful, we will immediately begin mass production of these systems for our own, invincible army."

"That's incredible! And these will be ready by…?"

"Tomorrow, m'boy, tomorrow. In fact, they'll be done tonight but all that technical junk will have been removed from them by tomorrow. I have seven words for you: rest yourself. Tomorrow is a big day." Tirano smirked.

"Not only will I be killing that little brat personally, but, instead of destroying his Zoid, I'll be using it to kill his friends… excellent." He chuckled evilly in such a manner that it even made Layon feel uneasy.

"Okay... I think I'm going to go celebrate over some specially-made noodles right now."

_______________

The prisoners in the cell were all eerily silent, but that did not erase the air of panic that each one seemed to permeate. Wild Eagle had long since retired his stream of consciousness, and Jamie could feel soft, fluctuating waves as though to signify snoring, coming from somewhere deep within him. He looked at his father, whose head drooped despairingly as it faced the stone floor, then to Tauros, who looked very pensive; he was probably calculating a means of escape.

The only one who was not thinking about immediate death was Jamie. He could not explain why, but he knew that from him, and because of Wild Eagle, a ferocious confidence was building; tomorrow, the Blitz Team would triumph against all odds, and nothing Layon could throw at him would ever change that. But that did not change the fact that death, in one way or another, was on each and every last prisoner's mind.

Wild Eagle's silence, his willingness to sleep, boggled Jamie, especially when he knew his best friend did not have much time left. As his mind raced, trying to find some explanation for it, he could not help getting a fleeting image of weariness, like that of a man whose endured the entire journey of life, from deep within the caverns of his mind.

~That must be it!~ he thought. ~Wild Eagle feels old….~

If what others said about approaching death were to be believed, Wild Eagle must have been getting rather pensive, reflective, even. His very life must have been flashing before his eyes, and a curious stream of thought left Jamie; what would Wild Eagle see? How would he see it? Surely, even though he and Jamie both experienced the same instances since his appearance, they had taken different meanings from those same experiences? Would Wild Eagle be content with what he'd done during his short existence, or would Jamie feel a strong feeling of regret trickle down his spine-as though it were his own-when Wild Eagle disappeared?

~No!~ Jamie objected. ~You're going to save Wild Eagle, remember?~

But just as easily, a negative voice crept into his mind, and even though it was his own thought, it felt like someone else's: doubt in its purest form.

~How will you save him? How do you intend to change a tradition that has existed for thousands of years in less than a day?~

~I don't know how, but I can. I know that much!~

A dark, bitter laugh surrounded him in a spine-chilling echo.

~Don't be a fool! How can you say something so naïve? You couldn't save doc, could you? You may all get out of here tomorrow, but if you were strong enough to have rescued him in the first place, none of this would have happened. Wild Eagle may even have been able to stay around longer.~

~Shut up! I can do it, I know I can….~

But in reality, he wasn't sure at all. Not now, at least, after he had succumbed to his uncertainty, doubt, and fear.

~Please! You couldn't save someone who had his own body, something palpable, solid, material! How on earth do you plan to save a mere stream of thought? He will fade like a lost memory. That's all he is, you know. A thought. An idea that is as feeble and brittle as a cracker. Easily broken!~

Jamie felt himself becoming enraged. It was invigorating, the power he could feel coming inside. When it came to the validity of his truest friend's existence, he knew, with certainty, that the bond they shared was something that could be held onto. He used this as his strength, and stood up to his insecurities.

~What do you know? He is not a thought! He is as much alive as I am, or my father, or doc, or any other creature on this planet! It's you that's just a thought! It's true, I wasn't able to save doc before now, but I was weak then, but not anymore… not now!~

~That's an excuse and a mere delusion. You're as much a pathetic boy now as you were then!~

~No! It will not happen again! I won't let it! You have no power over me! Go away and don't ever come back!~ and with that, the cold chill of darkness he felt had been lifted, and he knew; his will would keep Wild Eagle in this world some way. He would save his friend. There was no doubt about that. Just as this thought came to him, a knock on the cell door made him jump.

"Wake up, all of you," came a faint whisper.

"W-who's there?" said Jamie defiantly, as though he were bracing himself for his final moments. He was not ready, however when the voice behind the door replied, "A friend."

"Really? Are you here to help us?"

"Yes, but stop asking questions. We don't have much time. I'm coming in." The routine sound of clicks gave way to a creak as the door opened and everyone was engulfed in light. It took awhile for Jamie's eyes to adjust, but when they did a rather tall man with strange, yet suiting, sunglasses stood in the entrance. He smiled, and extended a warm hand to them all, gesturing them to come with him.

"I'm Palta," he said with a slightly raspy voice, introducing himself. "I saved Pierce when they held her here recently, and now I'm gonna help you. It's a pleasure to meet the pilot of the Raynos, face-to-face."

Jamie stood shakily, still unable to believe his good fortune, but he shook Palta's hand anyway. Palta looked back at Oscar, who was supporting a struggling Tauros, and he rushed past Jamie to help Oscar.

"This might slow us down a bit, but all we have to do is get you to your Zoids and you'll be fine."

"What about you? What if you get caught?" Tauros asked weakly, groaning as a jolt of pain apparently struck him when he tried to position his legs properly. "I don't know how we can rep-"

"Look, don't worry about me or repaying me. Consider this something I owe Pierce. Now let's get you in your Zoids. There are three of them for you all to take."

"Wait a sec," Jamie interrupted. "Doc can't pilot a Zoid in his condition, can he?"

"Don't be silly!" Tauros insisted. "I'm fit as a-arggghhh!" and he collapsed onto his knees.

"Doc," Jamie said with the air of a medical expert, "I don't know what an 'arggghhh' is, but I don't like the sound of it. We gotta find another way to get you out of here."

"Can't we just put him in one of our cockpits?" Oscar asked.

"No. Neither the Stormsworder or the Raynos can support a second passenger."

"He's right," Tauros said unwillingly.

"Then I'll pilot the third Zoid and take him with me," Palta volunteered. They looked at him like he was crazy. "Look," he added sternly, "War Sharks have a lot more space for that kind of thing, so I can get the good doctor to safety while you go help your friends, got it? Good," he said, when no other objections were raised.

They made their way to the technical ward, where they found the hangar-sized room and their fellow Zoids, with no wires whatsoever, sleeping in the darkness. It was strange how no guards were around, and Oscar pointed this out suspiciously, but Palta assured him it was as safe as they were going to get.

"Not to be a bother," said Wild Eagle, who apparently switched with Jamie, "but can you take him out tonight? We'll position ourselves into our respective cockpits until morning, but I'd feel better if he got to safety beforehand. I think if you take the War Shark from underground, no one will notice you took it, will they? I mean, those things can escape radar from underground, right?"

"Hey!" Palta said. "That's not a half-bad idea. I'll take him to the base and let them know to get ready. See you guys tomorrow, and good luck! Just lower me into the underground Hangar, and I'll be set."

While Palta boarded the War Shark with Tauros, Oscar went over to operate the huge compartment doors beneath the Zoid. He then proceeded to lower the War Shark with the cranes, and when he released the Zoid from his grasp, letting it sink out of sight, he rushed over to the Stormsworder. As he boarded, he faced the Wild Eagle and grinned.

"What're you waiting for? This is the big event! No turning back now!"

"Yeah, you're right!" Wild Eagle replied, and he climbed into the Raynos. They both closed their cockpits, cutting their conversation short, and drifted off to sleep; tomorrow would be the decisive battle.

_____________

Pierce found herself unable to sleep, but, not by a far stretch of the imagination, she found she was not tired, either. On the contrary: she was well awake and well aware of what the morning light would bring. She looked out into the night sky with full anticipation, a general waiting to give her army its first, official command of war. She had not budged for hours, and when others attempted to approach her, they were met by Brad, who issued them away with a gesture and a stern look; he was the only one who seemed to understand her. One by one, each gradually disregarded her silence until it was time to retire to his or her quarters, leaving Pierce in the control room, alone, and completely contemplative.

~Even now, as I stand, my love is waiting to fly back to me….~

Her eyes stared into the distance, extending her consciousness far and beyond, as if the Backdraft Base were in plain view of where she stood. Finally, a yawn managed to escape from her, which had not opened since she'd last spoken with Brad, and she laughed reluctantly.

~This is silly. What will be will be, and standing here won't change the fact that I'm gonna be tired as all hell tomorrow.~

Just as she turned to retire to her own quarters, she heard a strange sound in the distance. She looked outside again, and at first, she didn't notice anything. Then, several seconds and a couple of eye adjustments later, she noticed the sand was moving. That could only mean one thing, and she rushed to wake everyone else from sleep.

"Get up! A War Shark's coming! Everyone be on your guard! This could ruin everything if they've taken the initiative!"

She ran out to the hangar and climbed into the newly added Stormsworder reserved for her, and she flew out to meet the unannounced Zoid. It popped up from beneath the sands, and she landed right in front of it. She waited, and the cockpit opened; Palta climbed out, carrying as disoriented Tauros over his shoulder. She jumped out of her cockpit and met them halfway.

"Palta! What are you doing here? And doc, are you okay?
"I don't know how Layon does it," he groaned. "Traveling in a War Shark is no fun, no fun at all…" and he eased himself out of Palta's grip and onto his knees, where he proceeded to vomit; since he hadn't eaten in two days, it seemed, Pierce got the impression that what was coming out was probably vital fluid.

"I've brought you an early gift and a message. Get ready for a surprise attack."

"From whom? The Backdraft?" Pierce asked as she watched Brad, Stoler and Leon pick Tauros up and carry him onto a stretcher back into the base.

"No. You should attack now. The others are waiting for your diversion. Go now."

"What about you?"

"Me? I gotta return this to the Backdraft so Layon doesn't suspect anything. It is his Zoid, you know. Also, stay away from this Zoid and the Gojulas. They have been given the system the Raynos uses."

Pierce gasped; that did not go into accordance with her plans. An army was bad enough, but now super commanders were leading it as well, and that would not be good, not unless they could get the Raynos back.

"Relax. Jamie and Oscar are in the Raynos and the Stormsworder as we speak. And even better news," he added as Pierce sighed with relief, "the Stormsworder has also had the system installed. Don't worry. Your chances of success are much better now."

"I don't know how to thank you, Palta," Pierce said, completely overcome with joy.

"Relax! I owe you for helping me all those times, remember?" He paused for a second, looking like he was trying to think of some grateful form of payment anyway. "Well, now that you mention it, you could give me a kiss for my bravery," he said, grinning. His request was answered by a rather hard smack on the back of the head.

"Nice try," Pierce said warmly as Palta rubbed his sore head.

"Well, what can I say? You can't blame me for trying."

"Sure I can! I'm just not going to," she replied, and they laughed.

"Well?" Ashley asked as she appeared. "What're you gonna do, Pierce?"

"Get suited up," said Pierce. "We move out in the hour. Relay that to the others for me, please." As soon as Ashley disappeared from view, she turned to Palta again. "Thank you. Now get out of here before you get caught."

Within minutes, the War Shark disappeared beneath the sands once more.

____________

/So, how much longer before the battle begins?/ Wild Eagle found himself asking Jamie, who had reawakened after he got the sleep he needed. The suspense was killing the both of them.

BOOM!

~I think that answers your question,~ he replied, looking out of the cockpit as lights turned on all over the base. The sounds of frantic soldiers scurrying about made Jamie lay back in his chair, stretch, and sigh.

What's that noise? Is someone attacking?

Yeah! They've got a frickin' army, too!

It's the Liger! Those Tauros Base losers are attacking!

But that's impossible! They don't have the numbers to take us on! It's suicide.

Yeah, well, regardless, they're attacking anyway! And the fact that they have an army says it's not suicide! Get to your Zoids and secure the prisoners!

Um… sir?

What now!?

The prisoners ain't in the cell anymore.

"WHAT? Inform Layon immediately! This is an emergency!"

"And the fireworks are about to begin," said Jamie with immense satisfaction.

/Shall we light the fuse?/ asked Wild Eagle, equally satisfied.

"Not yet. Let's let them chase the others awhile for a bit longer. Timing is everything. We can wait until Layon tries to pilot his War Shark. Speaking of which, why hasn't Palta returned yet?"

Just then, Palta clambered out of the ladder the huge compartment door provided. He pulled the War Shark out of it with the crane and closed the compartment door; it looked like the Zoid had never budged. Sending the two Zoids a saluting gesture, the pilots realized he was wishing them the best of luck.

"You too, friend," said Jamie, and he began to turn on all of the cockpit systems. It was time.

Okay, this took awhile to finish, but I'm done. I hope you all enjoy it. As for what to expect, there's gonna be a two-on-two between the Raynos and Stormsworder, and the War Shark and Gojulas. Also, Wild Eagle disappears! But is he gone forever…? Wait and see. This is Yusef Pittman, signing out. Assalaamu 'alaikam!