Fan Fiction ❯ A Breath of Air ❯ A Breath of Air ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

A Breath of Air

Disclaimer: I do not own anything to do with Lord of the Rings. If I did I'd be RICH, RICH I tell you! AHAHAHAHAHAHA! But alas I do not. And just take a look at my financial situation.

I just felt like writing this. You don't like it, don't read it again. DUH! It's what Sam was thinking when he was looking for Frodo at Amon Hen.

I'm running faster and faster, calling your name, but you don't answer, I don't see you.

"Mr. Frodo!" I yell out to the echoing silence. "Mr. Frodo!"

Still I hear nothing except the beating of my own heart, and my footsteps on the forest floor.

"Mr. Frodo where are you?"

Please don't let `im be hurt. Oh curse you Sam Gamgee for not keepin' a better eye on `im! You broke your promise to Gandalf.

"Mr. Frodo!"

I try and run faster still, but I need to breathe and my chest starts to hurt. I trip on a hidden root and somersault to the ground. I lay on my face, tired, dirty and wishing for home. Wishing for the blackness to come and take me away so that I might be at home again, working on the garden at Bag End. But Bag End reminds me of you, and I jump back to my feet filled with a fierce determination. No! Mr. Frodo needs my help. Mr. Frodo needs Sam Gamgee, and Sam Gamgee will always be there.

"Mr. Frodo!"

I stop to catch my breath and hear the clanging of swords. Orcs? No! They're prob'ly looking for the ring and Mr. Frodo!

"You won't lay a dirty finger on `im or you'll have to answer to me!"

I run forward, heading towards the shore where the boats are. As I come closer I see you in a boat, leaving! Leaving without his Sam! Tears fill my eyes.

"Frodo no! Frodo!"

I run to the edge of the water, but you don't stop.

"Mr. Frodo!"

"No Sam." You say to me.

I hate water, `cept for when I'm gardening and I can't swim, but I won't let Mr. Frodo leave without me. I take a breath and wade into the river. You look back at me.

"Go back Sam! I'm going to Mordor alone!" you tell me angrily.

I feel sad, then angry and determined.

"Of course you are! And I'm comin' with you!"

The water starts to get deep and I'm afraid, but I have to get to Mr. Frodo.

"You can't swim!" You say urgently.

No I can't, but I can try. I reach my arms forward like I saw Merry do once when he and Pippin turned a boat over in the Brandywine, but it doesn't work and the water goes over my head. I struggle to get to the surface, to Frodo, but I can't. I let myself sink lower and lower, watching the sun disappear. Then I feel your hand grab mine. I grasp your hand and you pull me back up, back to air, back to life. I cough and splutter and take a breath of air.

"I made a promise Mr. Frodo!" I say to you. "A promise! `Don't you leave `im Samwise Gamgee.' An' I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

You look at me, your eyes filled with tears.

"Oh Sam." You hug me. I'll never let you go again, never let anything happen to you. You look at me.

"Come on."

We each pick up an oar and row to the other side. We're going towards danger, probably towards our doom. But we have to do this. And I know no matter what happens, I'll always be with you.

A/N: So, what did you think? Please R&R. (P.S. O.K Constructive Reviewer, let me guess. Unoriginal storyline? I need HELP!!!)