Fan Fiction ❯ A Forest ❯ Dedicated to my Saria ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
A Forest, by Msondo

Shadows kalideoscoped around, trees gave way to patterns of light but only to be trumped by shadows. The sage of the forest felt lost for the first time. Sacred realm of life and death, the fragile soul of light flickered away. A slow but growing darkness whispered to the only flame of warmth in her world. The whispers amplified subtly with every deep breath. Every quick step she found an infinite more directions to run to, but a gradual decay of the light.

It was midday, she knew the stars would not shine soon because birds echoed. The spirit of day was still very much alive. A veil of darkness, however, had somehow slipped onto her face much like a cobweb. Trapped in her infinite kingdom, it was the limitless that crushed her into a ball. Though she could barely see them, she stepped over the twisted roots and fallen foliage. Centuries of glorious natural architecture etched their way onto her mind, and she need only reach out her hand to grab a branch or stump. She only knew where she was when she closed her eyes.

And those blue eyes did close when she became aware of the fleeting light around her. She saw true darkness, and so she had no choice but to close her eyes because in the infinite there is no direction. She curled under a tree and cried beneath its branches. She could hear the wind blow and feel it on her face, for the first time she could see the energy that the ordinary are always blind to. In this energy she saw something familiar, even more so than the forest.

With her eyes closed she rose, her back against the tree. Into the void she knew of only one direction to follow, the direction she forgot long ago. She began to run after the energy inside of her. The faster she ran the more energy she felt around her until finally she feels herself falling.

She falls, not into space but into the energy. Her body is engulfed in a warmth she has longed for. Between her desperate gasps for breath her senses connect to the forest again, and to the source of her energy. Her eyes slowly open, the forest is brighter than ever, but before her is a shadow that somehow intensifies the light. Two long ears, freely blowing hair. Her warrior holds her, and gazes down with his blue eyes, the bluest eyes she has ever known.