Fan Fiction ❯ A knight's story ❯ Fist and last ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mage Knight of a Kingdom

"Where is he?" she asked.

"For the last time he went out to run around," The man told the young women.

"But how does this help his training to become a knight?" she asked irritated.

"It helps his endurance, his knowledge of the surrounding area and his ability to have fun it times of war," the man said.

"But what about his lessons? I know sire that you do hold weight in the training but you can't let him do this all the time," she said. The man laughed.

"Don't worry he is ahead in his studies and he does too much training as it is," the man said grinning.

"But still…" she commented.

"Just wait. In two months he will be a knight of the kingdom. Then you can rant on him all you want, Captain of the guards," the man said.

"Yes your highness," she relented.

Running. Just running. The best thing I have felt. I was running through the forest again.

"Yahoo!" I yelled jumping off a log and flipping in the air. I landed and kept up my pace. Running in between the trees making my own path. I burst into a field running even faster. I could see the castle off in the distance.

"HEY VALCRIST!!! YOU ARE GOING TO BE LATE!" I heard the farmer call out.

"THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME!" I yelled back waving. She is going to kill me. I jumped on the stonewall and dug deeper in to my reserves for a big burst of energy to get me back in time for the promotional supper. I needed to change into my armor and grab my swords and dagger. I ran fast along the top of the stonewall feeling the wind in my face. Keeping my balance on the stone and running was easy for me. I saw some carriages and I waved as I ran by. I think I surprised them again. I saw the gate to the city right in front of me. I saw the guard pointing to the clock tower. I jumped high up and grabbed a hold of the top of the stonewall at the gate.

"I know, I know. I am going to be late," I said running in the direction of the student rooms. I ran along the top of the wall till I got to the edge of the training area and jumped down off the wall. I rolled when I landed and stood up running. I jumped over the training wall for running and hopped on to the hallway separating the training building from the dorm. I hopped on to my windowsill and crawled into my room. I threw of my shirt and pants and grabbed a new shirt and pants then grabbed my armor. I slipped the chest plate over my head and snapped it around. I pulled on my boots and my armored leggings. I pulled the chain shirt through the inside of my chest plate. I had already slipped it in. I pulled the sleeves out to reach my wrists. I grabbed my leather gloves then pulled my sword over and slung it on my back. I put my knife in it holder and my short sword in its holder. I grabbed my helmet and took off running. I got to the end of the hallway and put my helmet on my head. I stopped in front of the gallery door and took some deep breaths to calm my heart and lungs. I was only five minutes late. I stepped into the room and snuck to stand beside my fellow squires.

"What took you?" my friend asked.

"I feel into the water at the covered bridge," I said trying to sound casual. I heard snickers from my other friends.

"I caught a fish though," I commented smiling.

"Will the squire called Valcrist please come forward!" barked the announcer. I walked to where he was standing.

"Yes sire?" I questioned.

"Milady of the royal guards would like to talk to you," the announcer said. My supporting knight drew me aside.

"Don't let her bother you okay, and Valcrist?" he asked me.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"You are the best that I have ever seen in a squire. Remember that," he said leading me to the door.

"Yeah I will," I said nodding. I walked into the door and stood at attention.

"Valcrist why are you even here?" she asked me shaking her head.

"You of all should know milady. I have come to be a knight and guard the surrounding land," I stated.

"I have seen you run off every day and not come back for hours. What makes me believe that you aren't talking to the enemy?" she asked me. Common question. Easily answered.

"There are no enemies that I could reach even at a dead run and get back in the amount of time I used. Also I have been talking to the farmers for most of the time that I was out. You could ask them if you want," I answered. She looked at me not even caring.

"It sounds like you have been asked that before. I have also known that you always seem to be helping the other knights and squires at every chance possible. Why is that?" she asks.

"I want to know who they are and what they are good at. It makes it easier to know what to do around people," I responded.

"I also have noticed that you don't have a mount but have very strong weapons. Why is that?" she asks. Bad area.

"I have come from the eastern kingdom. My family was a very noble family and was respected that is why I have good weapons. But only knights were allowed to have horses or steeds," I said.

"Why do you use a past tense?" she asked. I thought everyone knew, but maybe I was mistaken.

"If you don't mind could you ask the king that? It is a very touchy subject," I stated unemotionally.

"I will do that. Now please tell the next knight to come in," she said looking at papers on her desk.

"Yes milady," I said and walked to the door.

"Oh and Valcrist?" she called out.

"Yes?" I said turning.

"I need you to meet someone. It may help you out," she said nodding to me.

"Okay. When ever this person is ready to see me," I said opening the door back into the great hall. I went back to my position with my friends. As squires we were to wait and be called on by the other knights and nobles in the room. But we needed to be in armor for the next part of the festivities. I just waited for someone to call on me. But for some reason all the squires but I were being called over every five minutes.

"This bites. I had to serve the knight of Jordan," Syin said getting back to standing next to me.

"Aw suck it up Syin. In two months we won't be doing this," Fyn replied. I just stood there and waited. I knew something was up and I had a feeling that I was roped into something.

"You there, squire come here," one noble said motioning to me.

"Yes sire?" I asked walking to him.

"I want to ask you if you were the boy that had run by us on the wall. Was that you?" he asked me.

I nodded saying, "Yes sire that was me. I wanted to get some excises in before the dinner."

"You are a fast runner. I don't see how you could do that and keep your balance. It is truly amazing," he said smiling.

"Thank you sire. Is there anything else I can help you with?" I asked.

"No that is all. Thank you for your assistance," he said nodding. I bowed and walked back to my place to stand again.

"What was that about?" Frie asked me.

I shook my head and said, "He just wanted to know if I was the one that ran by them when they were coming here." I relaxed a bit while the dinner was served to the nobles and knights. Then the squires were asked to leave and eat. Frie, Syin, Fyn and I went to the table in the back to start our meal. The four of us had met a few years ago at the beginning of knight training. I had other friends but some were knights already and others were still pages. I preferred being a squire though. I had all the teachings of a knight and the respect but I was only told what I was supposed to know. So I didn't have to worry about the other details. I finished eating and rested for a bit.

"Will the squires please come to the front of the room," I heard the announcer say. There are more then the four of us as squires but I only knew their faces and skills not their actual names. Now each squire was supposed to show his or her equipment to the group here. I was then supposed to play for the group of people. I have a gift with the flute and I was dragged in to playing by the king.

"Completely voluntary but I would appreciate it if you would show them how good you are," he said. I stood at attention as the announcer said the names of a squire then he or she would need to show his or her equipment. It was basically the same. Swords, knives the occasional ax or large hammer. Then it was my turn. My family was of a noble and important royal guard before I came here so my weapons were of exceptional quality. I pulled out my sword and it looks different than most swords. It looks like two blades bent crisscrossing each other to have two oval shaped holes in it. One near the tip and one near the hilt. It moves really fast. I held it out in front of me. I saw whispering between the nobles and knights. I didn't tell them where I got it though.

"My sword is a finely crafted special guard sword. It needs two hands to swing it with accuracy and it is able to move faster with the two missing spaces in it," I explained about my sword like that. I put it back into my sheath. I pulled out my short sword.

"My second weapon is my short sword. It is serrated and very light. It was made at the Black Raven Forge for its extra strength," I explained. The Black Raven Forge is the best-known forge in the country. It makes the best weapons and armor. I put it back in its sheath. I took out my dagger and held it up; I then remembered that my spear is in the shop for repairs. I paled slightly.

"My dagger is a very nimble and light. As far as I know it was also made at the Black Raven Forge," I finished. I glanced at my friends; they seemed to have noticed the missing spear.

"My armor is a chest-plate with a chain shirt underneath it. I have leather gloves and an Iron helmet with boots and small shield."

"Excuse me nobles and knights. I am deeply sorry for intruding but Valcrist had given his short spear to me to fix. I need to return it to him. He seemed to have chipped it at some training exercise," Heshcel said. He is the house blacksmith. Saved my butt once again.

"Thank you Sire," I said holding my spear in the air, "My short spear is the weapon that I usually have out. I use it as a lance or glaive because it has two sharpened points each a different thickness and sharpness." I put it on my back. Next to my sword. I then waited for the questions I was sure to get.

"Do you have a bow?" some noble asked.

"No, I don't," I responded.

"Why not?" a knight asked me.

"I rely on my spear and my ingenuity to get me out of spots," I said truthfully. They seemed to conceder this. It was a weak excuse. I have a very good reason for telling that lie too. My father and mother were the head of the royal guards at my home country. They were fighters who could use magic. It was a rare thing. Even rarer that they were married and had me. Well Mage Knights as they are called are strong, fast and dependable fighters with the ability to cast spells and incantations. Well my father and mother were two of the best and they trained me with all of their knowledge. Bad thing is with great power someone always wants it from you. They were killed three years ago. My father told me to run with his dying breath and to not forget my lessons. He then gave me his sword and died. It was the most depressing part of my life. Only the king knows about it though and he says it is best if I keep my powers hidden till I have to use them.

"Squire Fyn please present your equipment," The announcer said. I breathed a sigh of relief and stepped back into line. It went on like that till every graduating squire was questioned and had shown their weapons. I took off my weapons and armor and got my flute from an attendant.

"Now as a treat to you all. The king has picked a squire to play an instrument to play while you rest for the knighting," the announcer. I got a couple of pats on the back as I walked to the head table. `Now or never.' I put the flute to my lips and played. I started walking around the room in time to the music. It was silent except for my playing but I didn't pay attention to that. I slowly walked around each table playing the tune my mother had taught me. I finished after a while. I was supposed to rest for five minutes in between songs to allow the nobles and knights to talk. But it was still silence. I looked around trying to figure out what to do.

"Could you play that again?" one young noble girl asked.

"Yes milady it would be my pleasure," I said putting the flute to my lips and started playing again. I did this for another ten minutes. They really seemed to like that song, so I continued playing till the announcer told them it was time for the knighting ceremony. It was the ceremony for last year's class of fighters. So I just stood by and waited. I watched as some of my friends were knighted and I cheered for them but I knew I might not get to be knighted. The public likes me, and my teachers like me too. But it is the other squires and nobles that don't. Nobles carry a lot of weight in selecting places to guard. I may be stuck in a desert where there is constant struggle or in a peaceful paradise. But luckily they have an opinion but the `final test' decides where I go. I waited till the ceremony was over then I walked back to my room.

"*Sigh* Man am I beat," I commented opening my door. I walked in to my room and sat on my bed.

"Huh? What's this?" I asked out loud reading a note that is on my bed.

Valcrist,

That person that I wanted to introduce you to will be at the training fields tomorrow. Be there and I will introduce you two.

Captain of the royal guards Lady Meldie.

"Yes milady I will be there," I sighed putting on some britches and a shirt. I crawled into bed and went to sleep.

I woke up to a large rabbit sitting on my chest.

"What does she want this time?" I asked annoyed. There is a young girl that talks to animals and can teach them things that lives in the kingdom. For some reason she thinks I am her personal gopher. The rabbit turned to show me a note tied to its back. I pulled the note of the rabbit and read it.

Please grab me some horsehair.

Phoebe.

"Tell her I will get to it tonight. Okay?" I asked the rabbit. She can talk to animals but I can't. Note reason. But for some reason the animals understand humans but not the other way around. I found that out when I made a comment about her being a slave driver. It hurt me badly. I got dressed and put my sword on my back and my chain shirt on. I put some light boots on and my leather gloves and then left the room. With the rabbit bounding down the hallway.

"What I don't get is that she lives right next to the stables and she wants me to get her horse hair," I said a bit ticked off. I ran to the training field as I do everyday. I pulled out my sword and started doing some basic exercises with my sword.

"Working hard Valcrist?" Frie asked me.

"Just started," I replied swiping down fast and spinning to come around my `enemy'.

"I can believe that. Want some breakfast? I grabbed some food," Frie said handing me a small bag. I stopped and smiled. She was always the one to look out for everyone.

"Thanks. But-" I started.

"I know, I know I didn't have to. But I want to verse you so I want to get some food into that stomach," she said looking me in the eye.

"Uh I am sorry but I will have to turn you down. Lady Meldie wants to introduce someone to me. So I can't fight you today," I said backing up. Thank god I did too. She always kicks my butt.

"You just don't want to lose again," she said smiling.

"That too," I said sitting down. I opened the cloth package to see a loaf of bread, an apple, a small container of juice and a cookie.

"Is that one of your home made ones?" I asked pointing to the cookie. You may think it is weird but Frie can cook up a storm. She can kick your butt and cook a dozen cookies at the same time. She did it to me so don't say she hasn't.

"Yep made them last night when I was bored," Frie said sitting down beside me eating her own breakfast. Frie is always tricky so when she threw a punch at me I knew she didn't care if I had a previous engagement or not. She wanted to fight me.

"Whoa! Hey!" I cried out jumping back and dodging. I stopped and started shaking my hands in front of me.

"You are going to fight me Valcrist!" Frie said tackling me. I shoved her off me and jumped up and got into a fighting position. She charged at me and I flipped her over my head. She went up and landed on the grass hard.

"There I fought you," I said sitting back down. Frie stood up and looked at me with a pouting face.

"Party pooper," Frie said sitting back down. I just rolled my eyes and continued eating.

"Hey Valcrist!" Fyn called running our way.

"Hey Fyn. What are you doing here?" I asked.

"What do you think I am doing at the training field?" Fyn retorted. He sat down and saw the cookie.

"Can I have a piece? Please?" Fyn pleaded. He loved Frie's cookies.

"Only a piece," I said breaking off a part of it and handing it to him. I felt something wiz by my head as I passed it to him.

"SORRY!" I heard someone call out. I turned to see a blunt arrow sticking out of the ground in front of me. I turned to see a new page holding a bow and a quiver.

"IT'S OKAY!" I called back. I did the exact same thing when I was a page. I almost turned around again when I saw the king and queen walk towards us.

"It's the king and queen coming," I said pointing to them. Fyn and Frie looked over and immediately stood up and started to bow. I stood up and waved. I knew that when they were out like this they didn't like the formalities.

"Hello Fyn, Frie and Valcrist. How goes the training?" King Facis said.

"Well we just finished breakfast and then I need to wait for knight Meldie because she wanted me to meet someone," I replied.

"Yes she had asked us to come down as well. She wants to test you I think," Queen Genny said. I glanced at my friends.

"Sire do you mind if I talk to you privately for a second?" I asked the king. He smiled and said, "Why Valcrist by all means. Lead the way." I walked a distance from everyone.

"Listen, I know that you want me to keep my powers a secret but I need to use them to practice better and make them stronger. Doing the running isn't doing as good as it used to," I said upset.

"As long as you can control them it is okay. But don't excessively use them," He said seriously.

"Thank you sire. It is a big help," I said bowing. I walked back to the group to see Meldie standing there with a cloaked figure. I stood in front of my friends.

"Valcrist where have you been?" Meldie asked annoyed.

"I have been here for a while I just needed to talk to lord Facis," I said calmly.

"Never mind. This is the person I want you to meet. She is a good friend of mine. Her name is Raven Croft. She is the best traveling fighter out there; she also can cast some serious black magic. Impressed?" she asked me.

"It is nice to meet you. It takes skill to gain the recognition you have. But how does this help me?" I asked.

"It is nice to meet you too," Raven said looking me over, "Hmmm."

"I wanted her to see your skills and give her judgment on how good you really are," Meldie said with a hint of pride. She always wanted to show me up ever since I broke her records on most training exercises. I pulled out my sword and glanced at the king.

"Sire may I?" I asked.

"Go get ready and I will talk to Raven about it. But just show your skills," He said hinting. I took the hint by nodding. I ran to an open space and closed my eyes. I breathed in and out then started. I took a step swinging down then across. Bringing the sword up hilt first pulling it over my shoulder spinning and ducking. I thrusted my leg out tripping my enemy and piercing the ground where he had fallen. I jumped into the air and flipped in the air with my sword cutting around me and parrying and repelling. I crossed left then right and right then left. I pulled back into a defensive stance and stopped. I looked over at Raven only to see her dropping her cloak and stepping up to where I was standing.

"You are good. But you are holding back and I respect that. I want to see you at your best though. Your technique is very good. There is just something about it though," Raven whispered to me. I started sweating. This is bad because if she can see that I am holding back she may know that I am a Mage knight. No she couldn't. Could she?

"Well I thank you for your opinion," I said bowing. I put my sword back in its sheath. I thought for a second. Maybe…

"Would you like to see me fight in the competition that is coming up?" I asked.

"Will you fight your best?" she asked walking closer to me.

"O…only if I have to," I said backing up.

"Okay then I will," she said straitening up and turning. I sighed inwardly. That was close. I remembered about the horsehair.

"Well I need to get some items for Phoebe so I will be back," I said walking backwards towards the stable. The tournament coming up was only for squires who were of my class. We had set it up just as an exhibition but there could be matches that would be hard fought because it was to prove you a competent fighter. It was important to me. Everyone thought I could win by my special weapons. I pushed all thoughts aside and just set to the task at hand. I ran to the stable going at a good clip.

"Ha, ha," I laughed enjoying the short run. I leaped into the air and landed at the door to the stables. I walked in and saw the stable hand combing one on the elks there.

"Hello could I trouble you for some horse hair?" I asked.

"Help your self," He said pointing to the piles of it in the corner. I went over and grabbed a hand full and walked back outside. I smiled as I walked to the labs of the wizards, magicans and the like. I walked down one hallway and came to a door that had scorch marks and claw marks all over it. It freaks me out every time I come here. I knocked.

"Come in!" a cherry voice called out. I heard a crash and one or two explosions. I opened the door and walked in to see a large hole in the floor.

"Oops," I heard from above, "Heh I guess it isn't right just yet."

"Here is your horsehair Phoebe. I hate to ask this because I know it will somehow get me into some trouble but what is it for?" I asked.

"It is for a love potion," Phoebe said jumping down from the second floor.

"Love potion?" I asked. I wasn't skeptical but why would someone need a love potion?

"Yeah some girl wants to get a hard headed guy to like her. So she asked me to make a love potion," Phoebe said checking notes.

"Anyone I know?" I asked looking at the hole in the ground.

"Why would you want to know?" Phoebe asked.

"I want to warn him not to drink it. I would like to see him live through the relationship," I joked.

"Oh ha, ha. But now that I have the horsehair maybe the scales intensity will be calmed. You see I made a love potion but it makes you absolutely crazy about the person for an hour then you fall asleep and wake up with the biggest migraine. So I don't want that to happen," she said smiling evenly.

"Well I am going to leave before I lose a limb. Good luck and see you later," I said walking away very quickly. I opened the door and closed it. I took off running as fast as I could. When I got far enough away I stopped. I did not want to be dragged into a test. I walked back to the rooms where I had my armor and put it on. It would be a couple of days before the tournament so I left to train before lunch. I left my room and went to the gate to the town.

"Going to train again?" the guard asked me.

"Yeah. But at least I won't need to do this much longer," I said waving to him. I took off running as fast as I could. Running. Just running. My pure enjoyment. I laughed joyously running along the wall.

"Yeah!" I cried jumping off the wall and into the forest. I ran past a waterfall hopping the stones and jumping over the fallen trees. I came to the edge of a ravine and I jumped off the edge.

"Wahoo!" I cried falling to the side. I ran down the side of the ravine and I crossed the bottom. I leaped from one stone to the next climbing up the other side. I pulled out my sword and started cutting a path in front of me. I was going at a good clip when I heard a scream. I stopped. I took off in the direction of the scream. Hey I'm a squire. What was I supposed to do? I broke out on to the road to see thieves attacking a carriage. I saw the thieves shooting arrows at the carriage. Making it crash into the trees.

"Hey thieves stop!" I yelled tackling one down and shoving the rest back with my power.

"Who are you?" a bandit asked holding a sword in the air.

"I am a squire of the castle. Let them go villains!" I yelled at them drawing my sword. I need to use my power on this one. I focused my power and called on it. My sword started emanating blue sparks into the air. I held my sword in the air.

"Leave them alone!" I yelled charging at them.

"Kill him," the leader said pointing to me. One ran at me. I stepped to the side and cut him in half. I spun around as arrows flew my way. I deflected them away from the carriage. I swung at the head thief throwing a blue energy disk at him. It hit him lighting him up and he screamed in pain. I moved my sword quickly killing him from the strike. I turned to see the last of the thieves running away. I turned to the crashed carriage.

"Are all of you okay?" I asked to the people in the carriage.

"I am fine thank you kind squire," I heard a young voice say. I opened the door to see a young woman curled up on the ground. She was getting up but still looked quiet scared.

"Don't worry they are gone now. Do you need a ride some where?" I asked her.

"Yes. I need to get to the castle. My driver he ran off. I do not blame him but he should have at least tried to help me," she muttered standing up.

"Okay let me find the horse that I saw run off. You can pack what you can salvage and I will be back very shortly. But don't worry I will come running if you scream," I said putting my sword away. I looked around to see the horse grazing in a small field a little ways away. I brought the horse back and called it down.

"Did you find anything?" I asked her.

"Yes I have packed what I could find. I can't thank you enough for saving me," she said looking still shook up.

"Don't worry about it. Just get on the horse and I will escort you to the castle," I said helping her on to the horse. I walked along side the horse as it slowly trotted down the road.

"Hey Valcrist what happened?" a farmer friend of mine asked running up to us.

"Some thieves crashed a carriage and I am escorting her to the castle. Would you mind sending one of your carrier pigeons to the castle telling them about it?" I asked her.

"Yeah I will and good luck," she said running back into the house.

"The people seem to know you well," the young lady commented. I nodded and said, "I come by here a lot to train. It is a long run and it gets my blood pumping. It also gives me a chance to do what I just did."

"Save women from thieves?" she asked a bit miffed.

"Or help out the towns people, kill immortals and stuff like that. The more my name is know the better off people will act if a war breaks out," I pointed out. She didn't say anything but looked straight ahead. I continued walking just relaxing. I know I used my powers but at the time it was a necessary move. I had to do it. And like the king said only if I don't over use them. We were nearing the first outpost of the kingdom and I saw the guard looking at me.

"Hey Valcrist what happened?" he asked.

"Some thieves attacked a carriage. I killed the leader but a few got a way. It happened about a mile up the road. The crashed the carriage. I found her inside after I chased away the thieves. I am taking her to the castle," I said to him stopping in front of the gate.

"Okay just hold on a second," he said pushing the lever. I looked up into the sky to see a few carrier pigeons fly to the castle. I laughed a bit relieved. People around here catch on quick. I stepped through the gate once it was raised and I motioned to the horse and it followed me. I waved to the guards and continued walking the last mile. The sun was just hitting the mountains when we came to the castle gate.

"Hail guards! Mind letting me in?" I called up.

"What no jumping the gate?" one jokingly called back.

"Well sorry for making your job easier. I need to get this young lady to the king if you don't mind," I called up to him.

"Yeah I know. I got orders from milady Meldie and she seems mad as a hornet. Good luck to you Valcrist," he said signaling the gatekeeper.

"Oh great. Now I am in trouble for doing my job," I said under my breath. The gate was raised and I walked across gently pulling the horse along with me. I saw many royal guards run to the horse.

"We will take it from here squire. Thank you," the leader said.

"No problem. Anything I need to do now oh gracious knight?" I asked with a bit of sarcasm.

"Yes lady knight Meldie would like to speak with you privately," he said with a hint of remorse in his voice. I heard snickers from the rest of the group.

"Thank you sire. Oh and thank you for the support knight Hillshire," I said bowing to my supporting knight.

"You are welcome squire Valcrist," he said nodding. I turned to the young lady.

"Milady these knights will take you to the king. I wish you a good night," I said bowing and running off. I am so dead. I ran to the barracks and waited a second.

"Don't just stand there Valcrist get your heroic arse in here!" she roared from inside. I opened the door and walked in.

"You summoned me milady knight?" I asked expecting her temper to soar through the roof.

"What were you doing out of the castle so far?" she asked annoyed.

"I was doing my daily run around the land," I said meekly.

"Why did you stop?" she asked still annoyed.

"I heard a scream and like you have told all squires you should find out what was happening," I said trying to defend myself.

"What did you see?" she asked still annoyed.

"I saw five thieves on horse back shooting arrows at a carriage," I responded.

"What made you attack the thieves?" she asked (do I even need to say it?)

"They crashed the carriage into the forest and started attacking the driver. I then told them to stop but they attacked me," I stated a bit more calmly.

"So you justify the fact of killing two of them?" she asked.

"Yes I do," I said bravely.

"Okay we will ask the princess what she saw," milady knight Meldie said dismissively.

"Yes milady knight," I replied leaving. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I walked out of that door.

"So you did use your skills," a voice said from my left. I looked over to see Raven standing there.

"Well I needed to save whoever was in the carriage," I said defensively. She looked at me then vanished.

"Huh?" I asked blinking. I looked around trying to figure out where she was. Search with your power not your eyes, my mother always said. I closed my eyes and felt for her. There she was in front of me writing her hands in the air.

"You are a mage knight?" it read. I smiled.

"How did you know?" I asked out loud. I felt her look at me then she walked away. I opened my eyes to see a glittery substance in the air. I smiled well things were not getting any more boring. I walked to the castle to talk to the king about when my final test would be. Let me explain the final test. The final test is when the squire that wants to become a knight must prove his or her self. He or she needs to step in to a magical room. This room was made when the castle was made and it has the ability to read your mind. It shows you images of a possible future. You need to live by the guidelines we have learned in the classes and live through what ever it puts you through. You are forbidden to talk about you faced and everything you saw. The room has a hold on you forever. It may do nothing with the hold or it can kill you in a matter of minutes. If it is merciful. Some knights killed them selves when the room cursed them for doing the evil they weren't meant to do. They were in pain for years before they confessed then killed themselves. I got to the castle.

"I'm sorry Valcrist but you aren't allowed in at the moment. The king is talking to the princess," the royal guard said.

"Princess?" I asked confused.

"Yes the princess you had rescued," said the guard.

"I rescued a princess? Wow," I said surprised. I stood against the wall and waited. That is what we are supposed to do.

`Okay let me play this through my head. Sire I want to talk about the final test that I have to take. May I use my powers to show the kingdom what I can do? I need to show my full potential; it is driving me nuts when I could shove some words right down the throats of some knights who think that they are god. Yeah that would work. May I use my powers in the final test? I want to know what I can do. Yeah I will go with that,' I thought. I saw the door open and the young girl walk out in a new dress. Good thing we were taught to keep a straight face. Or my jaw would have hit the floor. She turned and walked the opposite way from me.

"Okay Valcrist you may go in," the royal guard said. I walked to the door and knocked.

"Who is it?" called back the king.

"It is Valcrist sire," I called in.

"Come in my boy don't just stand there," he called back jolly like. I opened the door then walked in. I bowed and started talking.

"Sire I would like to know if I could use my abilities to their maximum during the test. Beside that how are you my lord?" I asked in a rush.

"Slow down their boy. Of course you may use your powers in the test. You are to be at your best for it. My day has been greatly uplifted from you anyway. Hasn't it my dear?" he asked the queen. I turned to see the queen sewing a dress. The one the young women had on when I rescued her.

"Come now dear that van be sewed by the maids," the king said frustrated.

"I prefer to sew it my self thank you. Yes our niece coming home safely is uplift to our spirits. Thank you Valcrist," the queen said.

"It was my duty my lady," I said bowing to her. I wasn't trying to take the full glory. I had let two escape.

"Valcrist I have another banquet tonight and I was wondering if you hadn't had something planned if you could play your flute for the guests again?" the king asked.

"Husband! He has played at almost every banquet. Why don't you pay him already," the queen told. I smiled. Yep the king and queen were just like everyone else.

"It would be an honor to play for the guests," I said trying to clam the situation down.

"Well my wife is right. I should pay you. How does a hundred for each hour?" the king asked me. I almost fainted. I could play for three hours before I would feel tired and that would be three hundred cayons. That is a lot of money.

"Yeah…yeah it is fine. Wow," I stammered.

"Well everyone likes your music like a professional and I seem to think you should be paid like one," The king said smiling. I nodded smiling. Wahoo! I was getting paid to do something I loved to do.

"Is that all you wanted to talk about Valcrist?" the king asked.

"Yes thank you sire," I said bowing to the king then the queen. I turned and left. My day just got better. I walked down the hall with a large smile on my face. I walked back to my room and took off my chest plat and helmet. I put on some softer boots and I put my tunic over my chain shirt.

"Hey Valcrist wait up!" I heard Fyn call my name. I turned to see him running down the hall. He stopped to catch his breath.

"Yeah Fyn?" I asked him.

"Hear…you fought…some thieves. I also heard you rescued a princess. Is that true?" he asked me catching his breath.

"Yeah it is. I wonder how it got out so fast?" I asked out loud.

"You should be raking in the glory! I know I would," Fyn said standing up. I started walking and he followed me.

"Give me a break. I am not that kind of person. I only did what I was supposed to do," I said shrugging it off. He looked at as if I just told him the world was flat and he wore dresses.

"Are you insane? That is what knights do. Reap the rewards of defeating some thieves. Didn't you know?" he asked me. I turned to him.

"Some times I wonder why you're here," I said looking at him. He just grinned.

"Got you," he said laughing.

"You are so lucky. If Frie were here she would clobber you. I can't because I need to head to the castle. But first some long overdue lunch. Care to join me?" I asked him heading off.

"Why not? In a few months we may be assigned to stay here. Might as well enjoy it," he said falling in step behind me. We left the rooms and went to the market. We went into the bakery and bought two loafs of bread and grabbed an apple from a fruit vendor. I pulled out my dagger and cut my bread into four pieces. I sliced the apple up and bought some ham. I put the ham on the bread and the apple slices as well. I put half of it in my pouch and I ate the other half. We left the market and went to the castle. Everyone knows us because we have done this a few times every fortnight for the past few years. I waved to the gate guard and walked into the castle. I never really explored the place but I just walked up to the banquet hall. I needed to know when I was to play. I was told that I would be needed at the fourth bell toll. At sundown basically. I waved good-bye to the announcer and left.

"So you have to play again?" Fyn asked me.

"Yeah. But this time I get paid," I said smiling.

"How much?" Fyn asked me.

"Enough," I replied casually. I saw a robin fly and land on my shoulder.

"What does Phoebe want?" I asked.

"How do you know it is her?" Fyn asked. The robin gave me a note that it was holding.

"That's why," I said as the robin flew away very, very fast.

"What does it say?" Fyn asked me.

"It says, `I want to test my potion. Come here and take the potion.' There was no please in it," I said shaking my head.

"What potion?" Fyn asked me.

"What's with the questions? She wants me to try out her love potion," I said in despair.

"It can't be that bad. Can it?" Fyn asked a bit scared for me.

"It blew a hole in the floor last time I saw it work. Before that she said it drove a person mad with passion then he went into a coma and woke up not remembering what he did," I said worried.

"I will step in this time. I'm coming with you," he said bravely.

"Your funeral," I said. We walked to the labs and knocked on her door.

"Come in!" she called out.

"Listen Phoebe I need to be at the castle tonight and I…what happened to the wall?" I asked.

"A little mishap with the potion. I think too much horsehair with the newt's tail. The worse part was that was the closet I have gotten. Yet," Phoebe said looking at me.

"Listen I can't test it. I need to be in full awareness tonight. But Fyn said he would test it. Bye!" I said scampering out fast.

"I said no such thing! Hey get back here!" Fyn called out. He started running after me. I got to the door and started to push it open. I slammed against it.

"It's locked you two," Phoebe said.

"No problem," I said running out the hole in the wall. I landed on the ground and took off running. Fyn was right behind me. We got back to the castle.

"That was close," I said breathing hard.

"Did you two run from Phoebe again?" Frie asked us. We looked at her from the ground. Fyn whistled.

"Wow. What's with the dress?" Fyn asked.

"Do I have to remodel your face?" Frie said holding him up.

"Nnn…no you don't," he said meekly.

"Good. I have to wear it because I have been formally invited to the banquet tonight. I have to play the violin. I'm accompanying you Valcrist," Frie said.

"Wait you guys is going to be there too?" Fyn said after Frie let him down,

"I am playing my guitar. Why don't we play some songs together?" he suggested.

"Fine with me," I said getting up.

"Just don't screw up Fyn!" Frie said forcefully.

"Yes milady," he said snickering. Bad move. Frie kicked right between the legs.

"Oh that is going to sting," I said looking at him.

"Ouch…I'm sorry," he said before falling to the ground. I lifted him up and helped him to the rooms. Frie was right behind us all the way to my room. I grabbed the bruise balm and handed it to Fyn.

"Take this into the back and spread it around the area where the pain is. It should help," I said trying to keep a straight face.

"Har har har," Fyn said wincing as he walked to the back. I grabbed my flute and combed my hair. I grabbed some gel out of the jar on my desk and rubbed it over my arms and face.

"What does that stuff do?" Frie asked.

"It keeps the sweat from running down my skin. It makes me look a bit more professional," I said closing the lid of the jar. I waited until Fyn came back out. He put the jar on the table.

"I will be right back guys I just need to change then we can leave for the castle. So wait," Fyn said limping out the door.

"You know you didn't need to hit him so hard," I commented to Frie. She just grinned.

"You are evil and you know it," I sighed.

"Well evil never looked this good," she said standing up and twirling.

"I…never mind," I said shaking my head. I smoothed out my tunic and straightened my chain shirt's sleeves. Fyn walked in a minute later holding his guitar.

"Are we ready?" he asked. He was wearing a nice blue shirt and green britches. He had his silver amulet around his neck and it matched him nicely.

"You look good pal," I said patting his back. We walked to the castle as the sun started setting.

"Hey you three good luck tonight!" the gate guard called down.

"Thanks!" we called up. We got to the kitchen as the bell rang for the fourth time today.

"Alright you three. You just need to keep them occupied until the king calls for his toast. Then you will play while they eat. You will stop unless they ask for you to play. You will play songs to their liking," the announcer said.

"We have done this before so we know what to do okay?" I told him.

"Yeah I forgot sorry you three," he said nodding, "Go on in now." We went into the room and immediately started playing. Fyn went into one of his solos playing while whistling. Something he is good at. We gave him some back up playing along with his song making it sound very pretty for only three players. It was only a two-minute song but we got the attention of everyone. We bowed and went into another one. We started to slowly walk around playing our instruments. We had a good beat going and the people where chatting and listening intently to our music. We kept playing a different song and then switching back to one the crowd liked. I concentrated on the music not really looking around but just enjoying the music. I got into a solo only because Frie and Fyn had forced one upon me. I just stood and played it out. I played the song my mother had taught me when I was a child. It was the only song that could mellow out anyone. I always loved that song. We relaxed for a bit in the back.

"Well this is nice," Frie said holding her violin at her side.

"Yeah," I agreed. I would be a bard if I hadn't been told I was a mage knight.

"Musicians if you would please grace us with another song?" the king asked.

"Yes sire we will," I said to him. We lifted our instruments.

"Would there be a request?" Fyn asked.

"Yes," a voice called out.

"Yes milady what may it be?" Fyn asked.

"Could the flute musician please play that song he did?" she asked. I looked up to see the princess sitting there.

"Well how about it Valcrist? Will you play for the princess?" the queen asked.

"It would be my pleasure," I said putting the flute to my lips. I started playing with Fyn giving the bass back up and Frie giving me support on the high notes. I started to sway a bit to keep the tempo that I had. I played my mother's song full of the spirit that I had. I played till the end when I held the last note for a minute then stopped.

"That was beautiful Valcrist. I don't know why you chose to be a knight. You could be a great Bard," The king said clapping.

"I feel that I do a better job protecting people in trouble than I do making them feel better after the trouble," I said bowing.

"Well I would like to call a toast for the evening then get on with the food. I toast to the good heath and will of the land," he said raising his cup into the air. I saw a flash of movement and I jumped and grabbed a dagger out of mid air right in front of the king.

"What's the meaning of this!" he roared looking for the source of the dagger. I was still pulling on it.

"Sire if you could please move out of the way," I grunted. He moved away from the seat and I let go. The dagger imbedded itself into the chair. I went behind it to see a small amulet behind it. I lifted it up.

"Hey Fyn what do you make of it?" I asked him as he checked it out.

"It has a magical spell on it. It attracts the dagger to this spot so it means nothing would have stopped it from getting here unless it was really strong," Fyn said looking at the amulet.

"I noticed," I said rubbing my arms.

"I thank you Valcrist for saving my husbands life," the queen said.

"Just doing what I had been taught to do," I said nodding my head. Lady knight burst in.

"My lord I chased down the thief. But he killed himself before I could get answers out of him my lord," she said almost in tears.

"Do not worry about it. I only can hope that we won't have to do this again. Please calm yourself. You are the best I know," The king said trying to comfort her.

"Yes Meldie do not try to discourage your self. You did the best you could," the queen said trying to calm her down. Meldie wiped her tears away. I held out my handkerchief. She looked at me then took it. I didn't gloat or do anything. I knew I only caught it because I used my power. I held it by pure will power. I rubbed my hand absent mildly.

"Valcrist you hand is all red!" Frie said looking at it.

"It's nothing," I said dismissively. It hurt like hell but I shoved it away.

"It sure is Valcrist. Your hand is bleeding badly," Fyn said looking at it. I held my hand up. It was red all right. I shook my head and put my other hand over it and concentrated. My hand started to heal almost instantly. I put my hand down. It hurt but it didn't bleed anymore.

"Forget I said anything," Fyn said looking at my hand. I looked around but I felt dizzy. I took a wider stance but it didn't help. I fell forward and collapsed. I felt poison inside me. Not what I need. I concentrated on my power bringing it out. I burned away the poison from my body. I regained consciousness on a chair. I shook my head and opened my eyes all the way.

"Poison was in the dagger," I stated.

"Well your okay now. But we didn't get an antidote to you what happened?" Frie asked. I glanced at the king. He nodded.

"Okay. This may take a while. My parents were royal guards at a land far from here. They were very strong and very powerful. They had great weapons and armor as well. But one thing set them apart from other knights. They were Mage Knights. Well it is rare for two to be in the same area. It is even more rare for them to marry and have a child. Well I am their child and I was trained since I was four to be like them. Well when I turned thirteen my parents were killed in a battle. I found my father dying and he gave me my sword and told me to gather up the important stuff and run far away. I grabbed all the weapons my mother and father had and my father's armor and my mother's as well. I grabbed food and left in one day. I continued to train till I got here. I am a very powerful Mage Knight and I know how to use my powers to heal and to attack," I explained.

"So every time I beat you in a fight you didn't really try?" Frie asked me.

"Well no I didn't try. You mad?" I asked.

"No. I'm furious!" she yelled at me. I sat up.

"Listen. I didn't use them because I can kill you," I said seriously looking her in the eye. She looked at me and then she sat down and folded her arms across her chest and glared.

"So you are a super powerful knight?" Fyn asked trying to simplify it.

"I guess you could say that. But it is more like I know how to cast spells and fight like a fighter," I said in thought. I heard a crash outside the door. Then some screaming. Then the door burst down.

"YOU LITTLE!!" cried Meldie. For a sixteen year old she is really strong. Probably why she is the captain of the guards. She ran over to where I was sitting.

"You are a mage knight!" she yelled at me.

"Yes I am. Something wrong with that?" I asked bewildered.

"Is that the reason you beat my times on those training exercises?" she still was three inches from my face.

"No. I did not use my power," I said calmly.

"You are coming with me," she said dragging me away. I was being pulled down to the arena outside.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked meekly.

"You are going to give me all you got!" she yelled at me tossing my sword.

"But…" I started.

"No Buts!" she screamed. She is obviously emotionally disturbed. I pulled my power out so I could easily use it. My sword started emanating the sparks again. She ran and swung her sword. I blocked it and forced her back. I picked her up with my power and threw her against the wall. She landed and ran at me. I hit her with my power and she slide back against the wall. She yelled and charged at me again. I blocked with my sword. I didn't feel any pressure on it. I knocked away her sword. She broke down and sobbed.

"Listen. I only did it with my abilities. I did not use my power. I only did what I could do even if I had no power," I told her and walked away. I left for my room. I walked in to it and cried. I had too much pressure in my life and I brought too many bad memories up. I still held my sword in my hands when I woke up. I put it in its sheath and put my gloves on. I grabbed my strong boots and ran off. I got to the waterfall near the edge of the land. I sat and looked at the water. I wished I had grabbed my flute sitting there. It would be a month and I would find my destiny. I watched the waterfall.

"Maybe I should just leave," I said to myself.

"You shouldn't," I heard a voice say.

"Why don't you leave me alone? I don't need anything from you Raven," I said not looking.

"Meldie told me to test your powers. I want to keep my promise," Raven said.

"You want to know my power? Fine," I said. I released my power skyward in a show of pure light. I didn't even flinch. I held it for thirty seconds. I stopped it.

"There. Happy?" I asked annoyed at myself and at her.

"Thank you," she said leaving. I sat there and looked at the fish in the water. I shook my head. This isn't what I wanted. All I wanted was a good life. I stood up and looked at the sky.

"Why are things always so complicated?" I asked the wind. A gust of wind was my answer. I sighed and dove into the water. I sat at the bottom of the lake and thought. I could feel the fish swim by me.

`I only can live with what the gods have given me. Nothing more and nothing less,' I said surfacing. I got out of the water and ran towards the castle. I ran and jumped over the outpost gate. I landed and kept running. I ran by farms waving to the farmers hard at work. I ran across fields watching the deer scatter. Peace. It was all I could hope for. I ran over a few rivers. I jumped the wall to the town and landed on the inside near my room. I hopped into the window. I put my armor on and grabbed my weapons. I left a note on my bed and grabbed some traveling supplies. One month. I packed what I had and took off running. I leaped over the gates as fast as I could. I went far into the forest. I stopped at a small clearing and put my stuff down. I jumped up into a tree and looked around. I could still see the castle but I was far enough away to get what I wanted to do done. I set up camp and trained. I trained and trained. I used my powers. I used my skills. I used each of my weapons. I prepared myself. I fished and I survived. One month later I went back. I ran and leaped over the gate. I kept running and I leaped over the next gate. I stopped by my room and dropped my stuff off I then went to the castle.

"Stop! Who are you?" the guard called down.

"Well it is nice to see you too," I called up and walked through the gate.

"Valcrist? The trial is going to start in a short while you should hurry!" he called down. I ran into the castle and flew down the stairs to the ceremonial room. I stopped and waited.

"The squire Valcrist will be the next to enter the room. Will the squire please step forward," the priest called out. I stepped through the doorway and walked down the walkway in my full battle gear. I stepped up to the door. By law no one can talk to me other than the priest.

"Are you ready my son?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Enter," he said. I opened the door. I walked in and the door shut behind me.

-Who…. are…. you? - I felt something say.

"I am Valcrist," I responded.

-What are you? - It asked.

"I am a mage knight as they are called. I am only a squire though," I answered.

-Are you afraid? -

"Yes,"

-Why? -

"Because of the unknown,"

-Are you strong? -

"I am considered strong,"

-Do you feel strong? -

"No,"

-…Why? -

"I have no control of what I do. I do not know who does but I know it isn't me,"

-……….-

"What do you want of me?"

-You are the one. But not yet-

"I do not know if I am ready,"

-Trust in your self and your friends-

"I can't,"

-Believe. Your heart shall guide you-

"I will try,"

-You are free to go-

"Thank you," I turned and opened the door. I walked out to see everyone standing there. I nodded and left the room. I went to the castle roof and looked around.

"Did you become a knight?" a voice asked.

"Raven…why do you follow me?" I asked honestly.

"You are different from other knights," Raven responded.

"Obviously," I replied.

"I mean beside your powers. You act so kind, you try to make all people happy at your own will. I like that," Raven said. I glanced at her. She was in a shirt and britches. Not her black cloak. I looked back at the setting sun. Great view. I heard the door open and I saw Fyn and Frie standing there. They walked over and stood beside me.

"Did your training go well?" Fyn asked me.

"Yeah. I did what I wanted to do," I said sighing.

"Meldie was in bad shape after you left. She wasn't hurt physically but she was upset at her self for exploding at you," Frie said.

"That's why I didn't fight her," I replied.

"So how did you do in your test?" Fyn asked me.

"Same as usual. How about you?" I asked.

"I scrapped by," he replied.

"I was fine," Frie said.

"Great. That is great," I said truthfully.

"So what do you two want to do?" Fyn asked putting his arms around us.

"Well I haven't eaten some good food in a month and I have yet to sleep in a soft bed," I stated.

"Well how about this. I cook at my room and we eat and rest there?" Frie suggested.

"Fine with me. How about you Valcrist?" Fyn asked.

"I will follow you guys," I replied, "But I need to do one thing first. So I will catch up."

"Okay we will be at my room," Frie said walking and dragging Fyn with her.

"Hey I can walk!" he cried to her.

"Yeah as fast as a snail," she smirked pulling him through the door.

"I wonder when those two are going to get together," I commented, "Raven would you mind telling me something?"

"What?" she asked.

"What exactly do you do for a living?"

"I got to towns offering my help to those that need it. Why do you ask?"

"No big reason," I responded.

"Well I don't have much time left. You also skipped that tournament," Raven pointed out.

"I can beat every class mate. I think I proved that when I beat Meldie," I said embarrassed. I continued looking at the setting sun.

"Well sleep good Valcrist," Raven said.

"You as well," I said as she left. I watched until the sun fully set then I walked to Frie's room. I got there to smell some very delicious food. I opened the door and sat down on Frie's bed.

"So Fyn have I missed much?" I asked.

"Well the tournament bombed. No one showed up. They all wanted to face you and when you left they didn't show up. It was only me verses Frie and that was a short battle with my face in the dirt," he said with his head down

"Maybe next time you won't run and try to tackle me!" Frie called out. I shook my head and smiled. I relaxed against the wall of the room and waited. I could smell the good food coming through the kitchen. I must have dozed off because I woke to Fire shaking me.

"Yo sleepy head. The food is getting cold," she said with a smile.

"I'm up," I yawned. I stood and walked to the table and started to eat. It was good food and I ate my fill really fast. I leaned back in the chair and said, "Man that was good. I hope I can stay with you two once we are assigned to our jobs," I said patting my stomach. I stood and went to the door.

"Well I will see you both tomorrow," I said opening the door and walking out the door. I dragged myself to my room and went right to sleep in my bed. I woke up and got dressed. I put my sword on and walked out my door. I saw Phoebe standing there.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!" she shouted at me.

"Glad to know you care," I replied walking past her.

"Listen buster I slaved over that love potion and I need you to drink it…oops," she said.

"Me? So you are the girl who wants to get the clueless guy. Listen Phoebe, I care and I am flattered. But I have a job that put my life on the line. I don't want to heavy a lover's heart with my death," I said looking at her.

"Oh fine," she said dejectedly.

"I need to find what my job is so I need to go now. But use the love potion on something useful. Like maybe the trash," I suggested walking off. I walked to the castle with a bit more drag in my step. There are just too many things happening to me at the moment. I stepped up to the king's throne.

"Valcrist you have entered the Test and have succeeded in passing. You assignment has also been issued by the test. You seem to have won the job of patrolling the land near the castle. Is that to your liking?" the king asked me.

"If it is the task I am given I will do it," I responded.

"Good. Kneel and be knighted," the king directed. I knelt and he touched the sword on both my shoulders.

"I knight the sir Valcrist. Arise sir knight," he said loud enough for the mountains to hear.

"I thank you my lord," I said bowing. I left the throne room and walked to the room where my stuff was. I did not have enough money for a horse so I packed what I needed and put the rest in storage. I hefted it on my back and left the castle at a walk. When I got to the outer gate I asked for a map from the outer gatekeeper. He handed a map to me of the towns that I needed to patrol and help out. They were close enough to the castle to come in a couple of days time but far enough away to actually find some trouble. I waved to him and set off. My first stop was a quaint town that I would arrive at by dusk. I hefted my pack and trudged onward. I didn't really think about what had happened recently but more on what I was assigned to do. The town was supposed to have some slight Dragon trouble. Something about a Dragon path way nearby. I knew that someone would go there to capture a dragon. It was traveler nature to find the most expensive thing and find a person who will by it. Every noble man wants a dragon to show off so they will pay a high price for a dragon. I reached the town as the sun set behind the mountains.

"Sir knight. To what do we owe the pleasure?" the head townsman asked.

"My job is to patrol this area and I heard some thing about a dragon path near by and I want to confirm it," I stated.

"Yes I will talk to you in the morning about it. But now how about you join me for a dinner and then you are welcome to stay at the inn free of charge," he said.

"I have my own money so I will pay and that sounds delightful. My name is Valcrist," I said extending my hand.

"I am called Big George around here," said the head town's man shaking my hand.

"Nice to meet you Big George," I said sincerely.

"Just call me BG. It's what all my friends call me," he said laughing.

"I would be honored BG," I said following him into the large building. I walked into a spare room BG showed me.

"It isn't the castle but it is a room," BG said.

"It's is better than the forest floor. Thank you," I said putting my things on the bed. I walked down to the dinning room with my tunic and sword on. I sat at the table and waited for the food to be finished.

"Do you have any questions Valcrist?" BG asked me.

"Well I was wondering where exactly the Dragon path is. That would help me a lot in checking it out," I said.

"It is in the forest a half a days journey east. It should be in between the large canyon. I will show it to you," BG said pointing in the direction.

"I also want to know if there have been any immortals in the area that have caused problems," I said.

"Well beside the occasional dragon roar there have been some Hippogriffs in the area. But they stay to their own area and we have no problems with them. I think some townsfolk have said something about seeing a small band of goblins near by but they seemed to have left the area," BG said thinking.

"Well thank you. I have been assigned to patrol the five towns in this area. So I will be stopping by almost every month unless there is some trouble in one of the towns. But you can call on one of my friends at the castle if you need help sooner," I explained. The food was brought out.

"Thank you wife for this delicious feast," BG said hole heartedly.

"Oh yes it looks and smells delicious," I agreed.

"You make an old lady happy," she said smiling. I ate my food and it was as delicious as it smelled. BG and I finished it very quickly.

"That was some of the best food I ever had," I said relaxing against the chair.

"Yes wife you out did yourself this time," BG said following my lead. I stood up and stretched. I bowed to the family and wished them a good night.

"Ugh I need to train or I going to get some serious fat on my body. Maybe I will train before I go to bed," I said talking to myself. I put my armor on and went outside. I stood out back and drew my sword and started to do a normal training pattern. Slices left and swing around to the right. Block and strike while stepping forward. Jump up and sweep downward and kick out behind me. I continued for a while then I put my sword away and walked back to my room and fell asleep after taking my armor off and putting my sword to a more comfortable spot. I didn't take it off though. I lay in bed and looked at the ceiling.

`I hope my friends are okay,' I thought as I fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of feet shuffling in the house. I looked up to see the sun just sprouting over the mountains. I got up and stretched. I then did some exercises and got dressed. I put my leather gloves on and my soft boots. I put on a shirt and britches then walked out of the room. I went to the bathing area and washed my sweaty body. I walked out a little damp and my hair dripping. I shook my head to spray water around as I went back into the house.

"Good morning sir knight. What can I get you?" BG's wife asked.

"Some eggs and meat is fine," I said sitting down and running my hand through my hair.

"Just a moment," she said walking into the kitchen. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and breathed in the smell of good homemade cooking.

"Man that smells good," I commented.

"Yes my wife and daughter can cook up a storm," BG said sitting down.

"Good morning Big George," I said yawning.

"Same to you. The last knight that past through here didn't wake up till the sun was almost past the mountains," BG said sitting across from me.

"Hmm that is really odd. Most knights wake up with the sun. I still am getting used to it. I actually woke up later than usual. Must have been the good food in my stomach," I said yawning again. I shook my head to clear the remaining cobwebs, as my food was set in front of me.

"Wow it looks delicious thank you," I said looking up.

"You are quite welcome sir knight," a young lady said.

"I am not going to get used to the at title. How about every one just calls me Valcrist?" I asked out loud.

"What ever you say sir…Valcrist," the young lady said catching her self. She giggled and walked into the kitchen.

"Not many young men can make my daughter giggle like that. You truly have a gift," BG said laughing. I scratched the back of my head and smiled. I ate my food and drank the juice that was also brought out to me.

"Thank you for the wonderful breakfast!" I called out in the direction of the kitchen.

"You are very welcome!" I heard in response. I walked to my room and dressed in full armor and put my dagger and short sword in their sheaths. I grabbed my short spear and walked using the spear as a walking staff.

"I see you are ready to go," BG said smiling at my full combat readiness.

"It pays to be prepared," I said nodding.

"Well I will lead the way and I hope you can take care of any creatures that threaten us?" he asked.

"Yeah I will protect you," I said nodding.

"Okay lets go," BG said turning and walking in to the forest. I followed and stayed close with my senses tuned to any sound out of the ordinary.

"So what exactly has been happening?" I asked.

"Well every once in a while a dragon roar can be heard. I came to investigate as a Dragon crossed across the sky in a burst of magic. I looked it up at the magic library at the castle to find out it is a dragon path. I told the king and that was it. You can hear the dragons every once in a while like I said but you need to be close by for it to happen," BG explained. We continued walking through the forest when I heard a sound of a river.

"We will rest here," BG said.

"Okay I will grab a drink," I said walking to the river.

"OH I forgot to mention something. There is some kind of forest spirit that lives here. This spirit doesn't take kindly to humans. She hunts with the animals so watch your back," BG said as I walked down stream.

`Well that is a new one,' I thought. I sat down and took off my chest plate. I soaked my short in the water then hung it up to dry. I pulled off my boots and dived in. I broke the surface and let the cool water soak in my body.

"Ahhhh," I sighed. I heard the sound of a bow being fitted. I rolled out of the water as three arrows hit the water. I rolled to the side and behind a tree and waited.

`Here I am half naked being attacked. This is rich,' I thought. I pulled out my short sword and listened. I heard footsteps and I ran out from behind the tree to come face to face with the forest spirit. I ducked as her dagger swiped across the air. I punched her stomach and jumped up into the air. She swung her dagger at me and I blocked it with my short sword. I held my sword there with both hands and she did the same. She snarled at me.

"Same to you," I grunted. I heard a cry of an eagle and I glanced up top see an eagle diving at me. I jumped back and she took off into the forest. I glanced around trying to figure where she was.

"Above!" I cried glancing at her jumping off a tree directly at me. I brought my sword up to bloke her dagger but I fell into the water with her on top of me. I slammed into the shallow bottom and I shoved her off me. She swam around and came at me swinging. I blocked and shoved her off me again. I jumped out of the water as she locked steel with me again. I slammed against the ground with her pushing down on me again. I grunted with the effort of pushing her off. I didn't use my power because it is only for emergencies. When she is about to kill me will I use it. I looked around for my normal sword. I saw it resting against the tree by my armor. I pushed my knees against her stomach and shoved with all my strength. She flew off and back into the water. I sat up and ran to my armor. I rolled as she jumped back out of the water. She landed where I was just standing a second ago and I grabbed my shield and tossed it at her. She was hit in the head and she fell to the ground. I fell to the ground and breathed heavily. I sat up to see her looking at me with a slight cut where my shield hit her. I spit out some water that I swallowed.

"Leave this place human," she snarled.

"Well I would love to but I am right now working on figuring out about the dragon path. Then I will be out of your hair till next month," I said breathing heavily.

"Leave now or I will not be merciless next time," she said standing. She got up and fell back down.

"Merciless or not you nor I can stand at the moment. I doubt we could kill each other at the moment," I said still breathing heavily. She sat up and looked at me.

"I do not lose to humans!" she cried standing up and collapsing back down.

"Well how about a tie?" I asked falling to the ground.

"I refuse to lose! Brothers help me!" she yelled out.

"Isn't that against the rules you set? I could have called out to the other man that is here to come and help me but I didn't. This is one on one. If you use their help use it to get out of here and heal," I said looking at the eagles flying down at me.

"What is it sister? Would you like us to kill him and feed him to our children?" the eagle asked.

"No I will kill him myself but I need to patch up this wound please get me out of here," she said climbing on the eagle. They flew off. Technically I could have killed her. But I am not it to killing those who protect the forest. Besides, I may anger a god or goddess. Which as anyone can tell you is a very bad thing. I grabbed my equipment and walked back to the river.

"Man you had me worried. I thought something had happened to you," BG said relieved. I looked at him and gave him a lopsided grin.

"Who says something didn't?" I said lifting my spear in the air and spinning it. I set it down and looked to the mountain.

"You remind me of someone. Strong, yet hopeful eyes. You remind me of the fabled god of protection," BG said looking at me.

"Well my parents named me after the guy. But I never really thought about it," I responded. I started to walk on through the forest. Big George was right behind me. I saw a clearing ahead and I walked out and stepped back holding my arm out to hold him back.

"Exactly how many people know about the dragon path?" I asked BG.

"The town and maybe a few people at the castle. Why?" he asked.

"Take a look. I think it is safe to assume that someone wants a dragon," I quipped looking into the valley. BG looked in to the valley and was greatly surprised to see many men working down in the valley. Lots of warriors and archers also lined the area. Many wooden structures also littered the ground many looking like catapults with nets in them.

"Wow, some one spent some serious money on setting this up. But I don't think they can really catch a dragon," BG commented. I thought it over for a second.

"Well only one way to find out if it is legal," I said. He looked at me as I walked out to a cliff.

"HEY YOU DOWN THERE! YOU WOULDN"T HAPPEN TO HAVE A WRITTEN CONFERMATION FROM THE KING WOULD YOU?" I yelled down into the valley. I jumped backwards as several arrows flew at me. I rolled backwards as they landed where I was standing. I looked over at BG. I smiled at him.

"Nope not legal," I commented. I stood back up and walked to the edge.

"SO THAT IS A NEGATIVE ON THE PERMIT?" I yelled down there. More arrows. I jumped back and walked back to the edge.

"I'M SORRY BUT I NEED TO ASK YOU ALL TO LEAVE OR I AM GOING TO HAVE TO RESORT TO VIOLENCE!" I yelled down. Guess what? More arrows. I walked to the edge and jumped down. I started running around with arrows flying at me. I pulled out my short sword and I started cutting all the ropes and the wood around the place. I jumped around the place cutting and slicing all the wood and ropes in the area. I saw more archers stand ready and I jumped onto a catapult and cut the launching rope. I flew into the air and landed on the edge of the valley. I rolled as I landed so the arrows that were following my escape didn't hit me. I ran into the forest and saw BG looking at me as if I was a god.

"How did you do that?" he asked wide eyed.

"I put one foot in front of the other very fast. It's called running," I said nonchalantly.

"But it was so precise and…I am defiantly going to send my daughter to be trained as a knight," he said with disbelief in his voice. I just smiled.

"Well I need to get some back up for this one so let's head back to town. But to make this easier…could you climb on my back?" I asked. I know it sounds weird but I can run faster than he can with him on my back.

"Okay but I weigh a lot. My wife feeds me plenty," he said patting his gut. I bent down and when he climbed on I grabbed a hold and took off running.

"Whoa! By the gods they really do train you kid now a days!" He said leaning forward. We reached the town in a few hours instead of half the day. I set him down and sat down heavily.

"Man that was exhausting. Fighting a spirit, destroying some catapults and running all that way sure takes it out on a person," I said breathing heavily.

"So that is what you did. Not many can hold off that wild girl. I surprised you can still walk after all that," BG said grinning, "Oh daughter I think we should let you become a knight-" as soon as he got that far she burst out of the house with a large hug for her father.

"REALLY!!! YEAH!" she cried running around jumping up and down. I looked at her with a small sense of embarrassment.

"I can take her there if you want. I need to get there anyway so I can get a hold of my friends. But first I want some food and a nice bath. Then some sleep," I said falling to the ground. I looked up to see BG looking at me with respect.

"That would be our pleasure," BG said.

"I am in your debt," I said yawning.

"Haha. Just save the dragons and your even," he said laughing. I stood up and walked into the house. I ate had a bath and went to sleep dreaming about seeing a dragon. I woke up and dressed in my armor and weapons. I stretched and did some mild exercises. I walked out the door to see my breakfast waiting. I sat down and enjoyed it. I stood up and stood outside and the girl ran out and stopped.

"What's your hurry?" I asked her.

"I thought you had left with out me," she said in relief.

"Don't worry about it. Come on. Grab your necessary items and let's go. It is a long journey. A day I think," I told her. I walked around a little as the girl ran back into the house. I started to do some excises to get my blood pumping. When she came back out I saw all this armor on her.

"I'm set," she said with a bag behind her. I looked over then walked to her.

"Yeah," I said shoving her armor back. She fell down.

"Hey!" she said trying to get up. I pulled out my sword and looked at her.

"You are wearing too much armor. Carrying too much and have no abilities in the armor. Your weapon is too heavy for you now and you have no skill using it when you are down," I said leaning on my sword.

"So? That's what I have to learn," she said still trying to get up.

"No. What you learn is skill and your duty. You are taught how to use all of your things not lead by hands to do everything. Now take off some of that armor and try to use a lighter weapon. I'll be back in two days when you have a weapon you can use and armor you can use. But don't sell any of it. Keep it till you can use it," I said waving to her and walking down the road.

"HEY!" she called out wiggling out of the armor. I turned as she came up dragging the top half.

"But you promised," she said pouting. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Okay…grab your stuff get a wagon and pile it in. Then come and get me when the wagon is set to go," I said holding my sword for some extra training. She took off and came back a while later.

"Okay the wagon is over there," she said happily. I looked to see a wagon piled high.

"I doubt you can pull that," I said.

"I wasn't planning to," she said confused.

"I don't have a horse," I said looking at her.

"Then how do we get that to the castle?" she asked. I went over to it and grabbed it. I started pulling after putting my sword away. I walked past her with little effort and she looked at me surprised.

"Coming?" I asked. She stared at me and I sighed.

"I'll let you pull it there if you don't get going. Oh and if you complain I'll let you deal with it," I told her pulling the cart along.