Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Late night talks and memories of the past... ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3
 
Beastboy was woken by the sound of heavy pounding on his door. He sat up and winced at the pain in his shoulder. He watched a trinket on his desk glow with dark energy and shatter. He jumped down from his bed, ran to his door, and flung it open. "Raven what's wrong?"
Raven stood on the other side of the door, her hood covering her face, her fist raised to bang on the door again. Her fist dropped to her side. "What were you doing in my dream?" Her voice was low, quivering with barely contained rage.
"What?"
"My dream. You were in my dream, you..." her voice cracked and she had to pause to collect herself. Beastboy realized that her voice was not shaking with rage, she was fighting tears, "you broke the glass."
"What do you mean? What glass?" Beastboy knew what she was probably talking about, but he didn't want to consider the ramifications.
"You didn't? You mean it was not intentional?" She shook her head, "Of course not, you don't know how to dream walk."
"What did I do?"
"You ruined everything." Raven collapsed against the wall next to his door, sobbing.
Beastboy put a hand on her shoulder, "Do you want to come in, out of the hall so we can talk in private?"
Raven leaned into his room and looked around. "My room." Before Beastboy had a chance to reply, she turned and strode off to her own room.
Beastboy followed her as far as her doorway and froze. "You know, you've never invited me in here before."
"Just get in here."
Beastboy stepped in and let the door slide closed behind him. Raven sat on the bed, her hood pushed back, her head in her hands. "What happened Raven? When the glass broke, what happened?"
"I lost control. I'm feeling everything, I'm barely in control of my powers right now."
"I thought your powers weren't controlled by your emotions."
"They're not, not totally anyways. Just my anger and my fear can control my powers."
"So what are you afraid of?"
"My father."
"Trigon? I didn't think he took much of an interest in you."
"Oh, he's got a big interest in me. I don't feel emotion because..." She sobbed, unable to continue.
"Would it be easier if you just showed me?"
"What?"
"Can you show me what happened to make you this way."
Raven shook her head slowly, "So be it."
Beastboy stumbled, finding himself no longer standing on the carpet of Raven's room. He looked around and saw that he was standing on top of a large stone pillar in the middle of a plain. In the distance he could see a beautiful city of white stone, burning.
"This is Azerath." Raven stood next to Beastboy, her arms folded, her back hunched, almost as though she were trying to make herself smaller.
"What's happening?"
Raven pointed to the base of another tower where Trigon stood in its shadow. In one hand, held by the throat was a younger version of Raven. "See, daughter, see the destruction that you've caused? Because of your weakness, your human emotion, this city will falls."
Beastboy could here the voice of his beast, "He's hurting her, he's hurting my Raven." Beastboy tried to quell the voice, but it was becoming increasingly difficult.
"Know this, daughter, if ever I find that you have sucumbed to this disease again, I will utterly destroy everyone and everything that you care for. Do you understand me?" Trigon threw her to the ground, where she lay without moving.
Seeing her small form there broke Beastboy's control totally. "I must protect her."
The older Raven fell back as Beastboy changed into his monstrous form, "What are you doing? These are memories, dreams, you can't change what happened."
The beast turned to her and looked down at her. "I know. I can't change what happened, but maybe I can change your dreams." He launched himself off the edge of the tower, flying towards Trigon's form.
Trigon looked up at hereing a feral cry. He saw Beastboy's huge green form falling towards him claws outstretched, ready to tear him to shreds. Trigon had no chance to react as Beastboy flew into him and both were smashed into the huge stone pillar.
Raven could only watch in horror as the pillar that they flew into began to crumble. In only a few moments the pillar was nothing but a pile of rubble, and somewhere inside of it was Beastboy. After only a brief pause Trigon reared up out of the pile, lifting Beastboy, still in beast form, by the ankle. He stepped out of the pile of rubble and held Beastboy up in front of him. "So, my daughter has a familiar. I am surprised, I didn't realize that she was so far advanced in her studies." He swung Beastboy up and over his head, bringing him down into the ground visciously. "No matter, you seem too weak to stop me."
Trigon spun and released his grip on Beastboy, sending him flying into one of the other stone towers, causing it to collapse on him. Raven stared wide-eyed as the pile shifted and Beastboy stood, clutching his ribs. "I can't let you hurt her." He began to run at Trigon, ready to strike again, even if it meant his own death.
He sped up until he was a green blur. One moment Trigon stood, waiting for the attack, in the next he was pinned to another spire, Beastboy's claw around his throat. "You won't hurt her."
"I'm surprised that you're still standing." One of Trigon's hands came up lightning fast, grabbed the back of Beastboy's head and drove him into into the pillar.
Beastboy spun in time to be pinned himself. Trigon drew a jagged broadsword. He touched the point to Beastboy's throat. "You won't survive this one."
"No!" Raven's cried out in terror. She flew from the top of the spire as the world faded around them.
Beastboy fell to his knees in Raven's room. "Jeeze your dad's got some kind of right hook." He looked up at Raven sitting on her bed, her knees drawn up to her chest. "Are you okay?"
"I thought he was going to kill you."
"It was a dream right? I knew you could pull us out before he killed me." Beastboy pulled himself to his feet and staggered to Raven's bed, sitting next to her.
"What if I couldn't have? He could have killed you."
"I couldn't stand to watch him hurt you." He put an arm around Raven's shoulder and pulled her into his chest. "I love you, Raven."
Raven gave a shuddering, defeated sigh. "I love you too, Beastboy."
Beastboy was about to say something else, but was cut off by a yawn. "Are you going to be okay? We both need to get some sleep."
"I'll be okay."
Beastboy stood and lifted her down turned face with one hand. He gave her a gentle kiss. "I'll see you in the morning." He turned to walk away, but Raven grabbed his arm.
"Don't go. I don't want to be alone tonight."
Beastboy's eyes widened, "Stay, like here? With you?"
Raven allowed herself a small laugh at his reaction. "Yes. Here, with me. I'm scared. I know he can't already know, but I'm afraid Trigon is... I just don't want to be alone right now."
"I'll stay." Beastboy sat on the edge of the bed and put is arms around Raven, rocking her, "I'll always be here for you."
Beastboy and Raven both slipped under the covers of Raven's bed. Beastboy pulled Raven in close, holding her tightly. "I won't let him hurt you, Raven." he whispered softly.
"You won't be able to stop him."
"Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't matter, I won't fail you. I won't fail my angel."
"I'm no angel."
"Yes you are. You're my dark angel."