Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Meet the Parents... ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 12

Cyborg wandered into the living area, not really paying attention to his surroundings, his head buried in a technical manual. When he heard giggling from the couch, he glanced up and saw Beastboy and Raven. "I'm never gonna get used to that." He made his way into the kitchen area and grabbed a sub from the fridge.
Turning back towards the T.V. area he saw the Raven had one hand on the back of Beastboy's head, idly running her fingers through his hair, while she whispered in his ear. Cyborg was turning to go back to the garage, when he froze. He turned back and stared at Raven's hand, at the glinting gemstone.
Raven glanced up and noticed Cyborg, who was still frozen in place. "Hey, Cy."
Beastboy looked back at him, before turning fully, letting his arms hang over the back of the couch, "Hey, dude."
"Uh, hey. Congrats. Made any plans yet?"
"Just what we were doing now."
"Well, I got stuff to do, I'll see you guys later."
As soon as he left, and Beastboy and Raven had settled back into their seats, Raven asked, "So, when are we gonna tie the knot?" She twisted the ring on her finger, not yet used to wearing one.
"I was thinking soon, a couple of weeks?"
Raven grinned, "A couple of weeks sounds good. Though, you know you're probably going to have to get rid of some stuff."
"I know, there's not enough room in any one bedroom in the tower for both our things. Besides, its about time I grew up."
"That's a sudden change."
"Not really. I've been thinking about it for a while now, just getting rid of some of my stuff, cleaning my room."
"Cleaning your room? That’s a scary thought."
"Yeah, setting fire to it might work better." They sat in silence for a few moments before Beastboy spoke again, "I know a beautiful field, There's flowers all through it, trees and mountains off in the distance, perfect place to hold the wedding."
"Yeah? An outdoor wedding sounds good, where is it?"
Beastboy took a deep breath, "Azerath."
Raven stiffened in her seat, "No, I can't go back, not yet."
"Raven, I think you should deal with what happened there."
"I can't, I caused hundreds of deaths, I..."
Beastboy cut her off, "Raven, when I went to Azerath, I saw enough to know that nobody blames you for what happened, you tried to stop him, that's what they remember."
"But it was my fault, Trigon came because I was there, and he slaughtered them."
"They survived, they rebuilt, and they moved on."
Raven dropped her head onto Beastboy's shoulder, "I'm just not ready to face them yet."
"I think you are, and I'll be there with you."
Raven let out a shuddering sigh as Beastboy put an arm around her shoulder, "Fine I'll go, I'll try."
"That's all I'm asking."

Raven and Beastboy stood on a high cliff just outside of Azerath. The city had been rebuilt since last time Raven had visited, but she could still remember watching the buildings fall among the cries of its people. Raven turned away from the city, fighting tears. Beastboy pulled her to his chest and held her tightly. "If you can't do this..."
"No, I have to now. I won't run from this." Raven took a deep breath and seemed to focus herself. "I'm ready." They stepped off the cliff, and Raven lowered them both to the ground. "
"Do you think that anyone will recognize you?"
"I've been gone a long time, I don't know."
They walked down the long path to the city gates. As they walked in Raven couldn't shake the feeling that everyone was staring, the feeling of eyes drilling into her back, stripping away her defenses, seeing her secrets, her past. Raven shook her head, trying to clear it. "My parents live up the hill." She pointed to a large hill that dominated most of the opposite end of the city.
"Whoa, wait. Parents? I thought you were an orphan."
Raven shook her head, "I lived in Azerath for three years after Trigon's attack, that's when my mother died. I was too young to live on my own, but Jasmine and Micah adopted me. She's the one that my mother lived with after we first arrived in Azerath. Even after we had our own home, we were at Jasmine's house most of the time."
"Oh."
"Nervous?"
"Well, I wasn't expecting to have to meet your parents, it just comes as a shock."
"Well, don't worry about it, they'll love you."
"Think so?"
"Of course I do." Raven stopped in front of a huge house, practically a mansion. "Here we are."
Beastboy looked up at the huge building. "This is your parent's house?"
"Yup. Don't worry. They live here because my mother is the chief council woman."
"Uh huh. That means she's important, right?"
Raven nodded. "Kind of like mayor of a city. The chief councilor always lives here, but most of the building has been sealed off for the last hundred years or so."
"More like president, this is the only city on the planet."
"Yeah, I guess, on a smaller scale." Raven opened a small cast iron gate that barred the path leading to the house, and waved Beastboy through. "No sense waiting here, come on Beastboy."
Beastboy stepped from the road, and into the long winding path to the front door. He and Raven followed the path past a lush garden. Once they had reached the house, Beastboy could see large black rose bushes hidden from sight. Raven smiled when she saw them, stepping off the path to gently run her fingers over a petal. "Mom always loved to garden, but she could never get black roses to grow right." She shook her head, trying to banish memories that Beastboy could only guess at. "Let's go." she said.
Beastboy and Raven stepped up to the large, ornately carved door. Raven stepped up to the door and pulled on the brass knocker, letting it fall back with a resounding bang. Beastboy grinned up at her, "This is your mother's house, we can't just go in?"
Raven shrugged, "It's been a long time, I just didn't want to barge in."
Raven turned back to the house as the large doors swung open on well-oiled hinges. A tall woman with black hair and gray eyes, wearing ornate white robes stepped out of the house. When she saw Raven, her eyes widened, tears welled in her eyes as she swept Raven into a crushing hug, "My baby!"

Converting /tmp/php9dgOOJ to /dev/stdout