Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Ceremonies... ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
AN- I planned on putting a lot more into this chapter, but couldn't seem to get my thoughts onto the screen. Maybe when I revise it I'll put more, much more, to the wedding as well as after the wedding, but for now this is it.

A Raven's Cry

Chapter 14

Raven pulled open the old, ornate doors of the large stone council hall. She and Beastboy could here the voice of whoever was currently speaking. "Sounds like they've already started." Beastboy whispered.
Raven glared at him, "If somebody hadn't slept in, we wouldn't be late." They walked up the hallway, heading toward the door from which the sound was coming. Raven cracked the door, and slipped in quietly, followed by Beastboy. They settled next to each other in seats near the back of the darkened room as one speaker left the stage and the next stepped up.
Beastboy's enhanced hearing picked up some whispering further along the row that they were sitting in. Because of the speaker, and the size of the room he couldn't here what was being said, though he did manage to pick up Raven's name being used repeatedly and angrily. Soon after the two people that were speaking left the room. Beastboy turned back to the speaker, making himself a mental note to mention these two people to Raven.
After the ceremony, Beastboy and Raven remained seated, watching the people of the city file somberly out of the room. The councilors were the last to leave, casting glances at the pair, at the end of the councilors was Jasmine. Behind her stood a tall man in padded armor that had several splatters of dried blood on it. A broad sword was strappe to his back, the handle sticking up over one shoulder, ready to be grabbed. The stopped next to Beastboy and Raven.
Raven stood and gave the man a hug, "Hey, dad."
"Hey, baby girl." He stepped back and looked Beastboy up and down. "My name is Micah, I'm Raven's father."
Beastboy's voice tembled a little as he spoke, "Hey, I'm Beastboy."
Jasmine grabbed Raven's arm, "Come on, the tailor's finished the alterations to your dress, it's absolutly beautiful." Raven glanced back at Beastboy with a nervous grin.
Beastboy took a step to follow, but stoppen when a large hand clamped down on his shoulder. "You should know better, you can't see the dress until the wedding."
"Oh, right. Sorry." Beastboy turned to face the larger man.
"So, you're the one who thinks he's good enough for my daughter?"
Beastboy took a moment to formulate an answer before he said something stupid. "I don't think anyone's really good enough for her, but if she's willing to settle..." he trailed off and looked into Micah's stern face.
After glaring at Beastboy for only a moment, Micah became unable to hide his grin, "Well then, who am I to stand in her way." He slapped Beastboy on the back, hard enough to almost knock him flat. "She seems to have picked well though."
"Thanks." Beastboy managed through his pained grimace. He looked again at the seats on the bench where the two others had been sitting. "Um, Micah?"
"Yes?"
"Did you see the two people that left?"
"I did notice, why?"
"I'm a little worried, something's bothering me about it." He replayed his memory of two people, Raven's name spoken with such hate. "They were talking about Raven before they left, and they didn't sound happy."
"Do you want me to have someone look into it?"
"I would. I don't want anything to go wrong with the wedding."
"I'll order one of my bloodhounds to look into it."
"Bloodhound?"
They started walking as Micah explained, "The bloodhounds track and capture criminals here. They are able to sense auras, and the imprint they leave after a person is gone."
"So if there's any danger..."
"They will seek it out and take care of it."
"Thank you."
"Of course." Micah slapped him on the back again as they stepped out into the warm sun. "Now, if I remember correctly my wife mentioned something about a meal that she prepared before the ceremony."

--------------------

Beastboy tugged nervously at the folds of his long black robe. He looked at Raven standing only a few feet away, dressed in matching robes, and looking almost as nervous as he felt. The words of the city councilor were lost to him as the ceremony progressed, lost in his own thoughts. Beastboy looked up when he heard the expectant silence.
The councilor was holding a dagger out to him, handle first. Beastboy swallowed hard as he took the dagger and turned to Raven. She gave him a reassuring smile and held out her right hand, palm up. Beastboy set the point of the dagger in her palm and took a deep breath, steeling himself for this custom of Azerath. Raven gave him another smile and nodded slightly. Beastboy plunged the tip of the dagger into Raven's hand, breaking her skin and drawing blood.
Beastboy offered Raven the dagger with numb fingers. She took it and pressed the tip of the blade against his left palm. When he nodded she pressed down, drawing his blood. The councilor took back the dagger as they turned to him, each holding their bleeding hand out. The councilor took some ash from a small bowl and sprinkled it into their twin wounds, eliciting hisses of pain from both. He stepped back and drew a white cloth from the nearby table and nodded to the couple. In response the clalsped their hands together, both feeling the warm sticky blood pooling between them. The councilor spoke as he bound their hands together, "We have come together to witness the creation of a sacred bond. By this mingling of blood, these souls are now bound for eternity, they are one. May nothing attempt to sunder this bond, for nothing can break it."
Beastboy and Raven turned, to the thunderous aplause of the witnesses.
Converting /tmp/phpBpnIxU to /dev/stdout