Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Cat's out of the bag... ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: Just wanted to sat thank you to all of my reviewers, and readers. I'm glad that you're enjoying my story so much. I seem to be pretty much over my writer's block, so it should be on with the story pretty regularly once again.

A Raven's Cry

Chapter 22

Beastboy settled back in his seat and took a sip from the glass of fruit juice that the midwife had given him. Next to him, Raven blew on a mug of tea. After the midwife sat on another chair facing them, she studied Raven for a few moments. "My name's Deborah."
"I'm Raven, and this is Beastboy." Raven replied.
Deborah nodded, looking back and forth between them before speaking again, "I would say, from your aura, that you are about two months pregnant."
Beastboy coughed into his drink, "Two months? We've only been married three weeks."
"Well, that's never stopped anyone before."
"No, you don't understand," Raven said, "We never, I mean, it's not possible." She looked from the confused midwife, to Beastboy's shocked face, "There's no way, we haven't even been going out that long."
Deborah's eyebrows raised for a moment, as she seemed to consider something. "This is odd." She leaned forward, steapleing her fingers in front of her. "Raven Roth, right?"
"I was."
"Let me go find something, I'll be right back."
After she had left the room, Raven turned to Beastboy, "I swear, I never..."
"Don't worry, Raven." He took her hand with the blackened scar. "I know how you're feeling right now, remember. I know how you feel. We'll find out what's going on."
Raven nodded, chewing on her lower lip as Beastboy squeezed her hand.
Deborah walked back into the room carrying a sheaf of papers. She sat across from them again, and put the papers on a small coffee table. "The woman who trained me was the midwife who was at your birth. I was there as well." She started rifling through the pages, looking for something. "Your mother said something odd, I believe that it was recorded, and I just want to... Ah, here it is." She read aloud from the page that she held, "Arella Roth claimed that, at the time of her daughter's birth, she was two months pregnant. This short gestation period was due to the daemonic nature of the father."
"So, this is because I'm half demon?"
"Yes. I have no way of estimating how long you've been pregnant."
Raven smiled at Beastboy, then a sudden realization struck her, "We've only got two months to get ready?"
"No, my first guess would be four months, but in truth I have no way of telling. We're going to have to play this by ear, I'm afraid." As she spoke she walked to a cabinet filled with bottle, bags, and jars of various powders and liquids. "Your mother mentioned something about being a hero back on earth."
"Yes."
"You'll have to set that aside for now."
"I already have."
"Good." Deborah located what she was looking for, and returned to her seat with a small leather bag. "It would also be wise to avoid flying as much as possible, it puts a rather nasty strain on the human body, and because I don't know how they will affect the child, use your powers sparingly."
"Right."
"Finally," She offered the bag to Raven. "Mix a couple of spoonfuls of this in with your tea in the mornings. It will help regulate your mood swings."
"Is this necessary? I don't usually like to take anything that could alter my emotions."
"I've seen a pregnant half demons before, if you care for your friends, you will take it."
Raven took the bag from her with a nod. "Alright then, I guess I will take it."
"That should last you a week. Come back when it's gone and I will get you..." She trailed off, staring into space. "We're going to have to cut this short." She walked back to the cabinet and started filling a larger bag with various bottles and jars. "When you come back I'll give you an examine, see how things..." She was cut off by a loud pounding on her door.
"Deborah! It's time!"
"I know." She answered. "I have to get going, but I will see you both in a week, yes?" She smiled when they both nodded. "Good."
Outside, Deborah followed the young man who had been pounding on her door just a few minutes earlier. Beastboy turned to Raven, "So, what now?"
"How about lunch? I'm starved."
"Lunch sounds good."

--------------------

The black portal opened into Raven and Beastboy's room. After a brief pause they stepped out and looked around. "Wonder what's been up since we left." Beastboy mused.
Raven looked up at the wall. "We're not late for the interview, it doesn't start for another half hour."
"Oh yeah, I forgot about that." Beastboy dropped their duffel bags onto the bed. "Hm, half an hour gives us a little time." He pulled Raven to him and gave her a kiss, burying his hands in her hair.
When they broke the kiss off, Raven spoke, "As much as I hate to say it, we should really let the others know we're back."
"Right, the others." He let go of her and draped one arm around her waist. "Let's go then."
As they reached the common area, they saw Robin standing in the doorway, talking to someone in the room. When he saw them he looked up, "Hey guys, trip go well?"
"Yeah." said Beastboy with a grin. "We'll have to get the nursery ready..."
Robin cut him off, "Uh, not right now, Beastboy."
"Why not?"
They walked out into the common area, and saw a young woman, "This is Marcie Wells." Robin introduced her, "She's the reported that will be interviewing us."