Fan Fiction ❯ A Raven's Cry ❯ Meeitng the enemy ( Chapter 31 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The Raven's Cry

Chapter 31

The titans gathered in the commons room, sitting around the kitchen table with Raven at the head. "Vampires are hard to kill. A wooden stake through the heart will do it, holy water in large enough quantities, and sun light. Silver, garlic, and crosses hurt them badly." Raven studied her hands thoughtfully, recalling everything she could about vampires, "They can't enter a home without permission. That means in the tower or any other house, we are perfectly safe as long as we don't invite people in. They also can't cross running water without a boat or bridge, which gives the tower another measure of safety."
"So, there's no way to save them?" Robin asked.
"No. If they're a vampire, then they're already dead." She leaned back in her chair, "Fire hurts them too, can't forget that. They will probably have human servants. These are people who want to become vampires. Usually, they are allowed to drink vampire blood before a battle. This gives them extraordinary speed and strength. A vampire can survive almost any physical damage, anything short of beheading or total destruction of the heart can be regenerated. That's all I can think of right now, I'll have to check my books." She searched her memory once more, "Don't look them in the eyes, some of them can brainwash you that way."
Robin looked at each of the titans, "Everybody get that?" When he received a general assent, he continued, "We'll be patrolling in pairs, Beastboy and Cyborg, Starfire and I. We'll alternate daily. I've talked to the mayor, he refuses to impose mandatory curfews, but has instituted a voluntary curfew, we can tell people about it, but can't force them to comply."
"That's not good enough." Raven almost yelled, "People are going to be killed."
"I know." He walked to a window and pulled the curtain back, revealing a purple sky rapidly fading into black, "Beastboy, Cyborg, you two are up tonight. Raven, how many can they expect to see?"
"It's hard to say, if he just created Julian last night, then he's the only one you'll see, but if he created him more than three days ago, there will be at least two of them, probably more."
Robin nodded and turned to Beastboy and Cyborg, "Be careful."
Beastboy snapped off a mock salute, "Yes sir, Robin sir." Then he walked to Raven and pulled her into a tight hug, "I'll be back in a while, hon."
Raven kissed him, "If you don't come back in one piece, I will kill you myself."
"Yes ma'am."
"And if you see the master, don't try to fight him on your own, he's too powerful."

--------------------

Beastboy stood on the top of the dilapidated building, his canine nose held low over the crowd, searching for any smell that would indicate a dead body. He glanced up at Cyborg with a whine.
"I don't see anybody that stands out. Everybody down there's still warm, no walking dead."
Beastboy morphed back into his normal form, "Where to next, man?"
"Raven thought the slum district would be the best place to look, a lot of people there that wouldn't be missed."
It took only ten minutes of walking to get to the slums. They stood on top of another building, watching the people walk or stumble along, or curl up under sheets of rotten cardboard. "Didn't know Jump City had a place like this." Beastboy said as he stared down.
"All cities do. Try as hard as we do to make life better, and we barely scratch the surface." His head jerked to the side, "I think I picked something up."
"What?"
"He's got a low temp, way low."
Beastboy shifted to a bloodhound and took a deep breath. After shifting back he nodded, "There's a corpse out there alright."
"Let's take it down." He pulled a wooden stake from a compartment that usually held a spare flashlight, while Beastboy pulled his own from his belt.
The form that they had identified as a vampire ducked down a narrow dead end alley. When he turned back to return to the street he was faced with the forms of the two titans. He grinned when he saw them, "Easy prey it seems." He was dressed in tattered clothes, a scarf covered most of his face, he fit in perfectly with the slum dwellers. "I had hoped someone with a bit more power had come."
"You're gonna be wishing you never crawled out of your coffin before this is over." Cyborg said before he fired one of his sonic cannons at the vampire.
The vampire vanished an instant before the blast should have hit him. He reappeared a foot to the left, the scarf hanging open revealing long fangs. "You're going to have to be faster than that." He raised his hands and blood red energy shot out, hitting both Beastboy and Cyborg in the chest, throwing them into the street. The same energy pulled them back in and slammed them into the brick wall at the end of the alley.
Beastboy fought to take a breath through his blinding pain, "Julian I presume."
Julian bowed dramatically, "The pleasure is mine, Beastboy. Rest assured, you will survive the night, I have my orders."
Beastboy grinned, "I have not yet begun to fight." Shifting into the Beast seemed to erase the pain that suffused his body." He stood to his full eight foot height and saw a look of horror on Julian’s face. He shot forward, the bricks around him a blur until he slammed into the master vampire and forced him to the ground, his claws digging into his chest.
The vampire managed to get his feet between Beastboy and himself, and pushed Beastboy off of him with enough force to throw him against the wall. Immediately red energy pinned him to the wall. "I did not realize the extent of your abilities. He felt one of the holes left in his chest, "Bravo, I didn't expect you to be able to lay a finger on me." He shook his head, "Well, until next time." And with that he was gone.
Beastboy shifted back to his own form as his feet hit the ground. He stood looking around the dark alley, swaying a little. His eyes settled onto Cyborg’s unconscious form for a moment before the ground met his face, hard.

----------------------

Raven looked down at Beastboy's peaceful features as he slept with his head in her lap. She pushed back a few stray strands of hair as he woke, "Hey, Rae."
"Hey, you okay?"
"Sore, but yeah, I'm fine."
"Good. What happened after Cy got knocked out?"
"I used the Beast. Seemed to scare Julian."
"It scared him? You sure?"
"Yeah, he looked scared. I pinned him to the ground and he just kind of threw me against the wall, said that he didn't realize that I could do that." He stared up into Raven's concerned features, "Do you know what the Beast is?"
"I don't know, but I'm gonna do some research, see if I can find anything." Beastboy sat up and put an arm around her. "You know, you never did manage to tell me what you were gonna call yourself."
"I was thinking of going by my real name."
"Oh?"
"Yeah, Gar."
"I like that."