Fan Fiction ❯ Almost An Angel ❯ Crisis ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I spent most of Sunday night worrying about what would happen at school the next day. I wasn't sure how James would act, and I couldn't think about anything else besides him… and Michael. I was glad that I'd already finished my homework, otherwise I would have had even more to worry about.

I didn't see James during the first half of the day. I saw him at lunch, but he didn't eat with us, so I didn't actually talk to him. I didn't see him after lunch either, so I wasn't expecting him to show up once the bell rang and let us out for the day.

He showed up at my locker anyways.

"We need to talk," James said, leaning against the locker next to mine. I nodded.

"Yeah. Where at?"

"My place."

"Okay. Let me run Michael home real quick and I'll be right over."

He walked off without replying, so I just took that as an 'Okay.'

"Do you think you'll be home in time for supper?" Michael asked from behind me. I jumped a little; I hadn't known he was there. Maybe that was why James had left without saying anything else.

"I have no idea," I admitted. "Can you save me a plate if I'm not, though?"

"Sure," he said with a smile.

"Thanks." I finished putting the books I needed into my backpack, and we left the school.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The security guard at James' place waved me through without making me wait, so I took that as a sign that James hadn't changed his mind about talking to me. I didn't see him immediately when I went inside the house, so I headed upstairs to his third floor bedroom.

"James? Can I come in?" I called, knocking on the door. He didn't say anything, so after a minute or two I went inside anyways. I'm glad I did.

James was lying facedown on his bed, and there was blood all over the sheets.

"Oh God, not again…" I whispered, running over to the bed. Ignoring his weight, I lifted him up and staggered over to the bathroom connected to his room, placed him on the floor and leaned against the bathtub.

I knew that there were several rolls of Ace bandages in the cabinet where he kept his towels; I'd wrapped his ankle when he'd rolled it once a few months before. I grabbed the bandages and quickly started wrapping them around his wrists and arms.

"James, you idiot… You promised me that you'd never do this to yourself again…" I knew I was crying, but I didn't really care. After a minute or two I had him wrapped up as best I could, so I left him long enough to call 911 and explain what had happened.

An ambulance was over within ten minutes, and I was beyond glad that James's parents were influential people, even if they weren't at home often. After that thought, though, I didn't really have room to concentrate on anything but James, so my mind pretty much went blank.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Once we were at the hospital and I was sure that James was getting the medical attention he needed, I called my house to tell Michael and my family what was going on. Mom answered the phone, and freaked out when I told her the news. I would have freaked out too, if I were her. Heck, screw that; I had freaked out. Anyway, after she was done panicking, she told me that she'd be right there, and hung up.

In way less time than it should have taken, Mom walked into the waiting room; behind her were my dad, Michael, and the brats. I stared at them for a second, then stood up and let Mom rush over and throw her arms around me. She wasn't crying or anything, but she was definitely still upset.

After Mom sat down in a chair next to me, Dad walked over and squeezed my shoulder, mumbling something about how James was a strong boy and would pull through. Jason had already sat down in another chair and was looking through a car magazine, Esther was sitting next to him, looking nervous, and Sarah was waiting patiently for Michael to take a seat somewhere so that she could sit on his lap.

"I'm going to run out and get something for the kids to eat while they wait," Michael said to me. "Want to come with me?"

I nodded and stood up; Sarah frowned and took my seat while I followed Michael out of the room and down a hall.

"Are you okay?" he asked me once we were out of range of the waiting room. I nodded, but I must not have been very convincing, seeing as he looked pretty skeptical. "How about we go talk about this anyway, just in case?"

I let myself be led out of the hospital and to the parking lot, where Michael led me to my parents' car. He unlocked the car using the key Mom had given him a while back and sat down in the driver's seat, and I got into the passenger side. Michael didn't start the car; instead, he just locked it, then put the keys on the dashboard and turned his head to look at me.

"I don't think you're okay with all this, but you don't seem to be as panicked as I thought you would," he observed. "Has James done something like this before?"

I nodded, but didn't give him any details. I wasn't sure whether or not James would mind me telling him, but I didn't want to take any chances yet. "Maybe I can tell you about it once we're home." I offered.

"Only if you want to," Michael said quickly, holding up one hand.

"I do, if James doesn't mind. I don't really think he will." It got quiet for a few seconds, but I eventually broke the silence. "So… Are we going to go get food or not?"