Fan Fiction ❯ Angel Tears ❯ Angel Tears ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Just tell me why you can't love me?" He had his back to her not wanting to see the tears that surely came down like a flood. He ran a hand through his golden locks and held back his own tears.

"Are you even listening to me? Look at me, damn it!" She turned his face to her's by gently gripping his chin. Her brown eyes shone with salty tears as they stared into his bright jade orbs.

"Cullivan please tell me why?"

"Why? Shawnie, why?" He shook his face out of her hand and stood up.

"Why, what?"

"Why do you love me? Look at me." Black wings slowly began to protrude out of his back till they hid the light of the kerosene lamp. She tip toed to be a little closer to his eye level and cupped his face in her gardening calloused hands.

"Because you are you. I need you. I love you and I'd love you even if you had a giant horn growing out of your forehead." She went to kiss him but he turned his head. He put his hands over her's and placed them at her sides.

"You're too young to understand love." Her eyes widened first in surprise then turned into anger.

"Don't give me that crap! I'm too young to love? Well, it seems I'm not young enough to have to grow our food! Sew our clothes! Fight people who try to claim our property! And I see how you look at me," she poked her fingers on his chest for emphasis, "you stare lecherously upon my body. I am too to love but not too young for your sexual fantasies! It seems you don't love, you lust…" He kissed her before she could finish her rant.

"Love is what makes this heart beat so rapidly," he pressed one of her hands against the hard muscle of his chest. She tried to speak but all that came out were small gasps.

"But this heart is not pure like yours. I can not guarantee you anything and that is why you can not love me. I may die any minute, for you and I know I have limited time. I can not promise you a future…"

"But no one has a promise of a future! Please stop talking so dreadfully! Let's live for now not for a future neither of us are guaranteed!" She held the soft fabric of his dark blue shirt in her fists. He pulled her close to him letting her tears soak his shirt.

"We'll worry about this later for now you have to calm down. Would you like to lie down?" She nodded her head yes and since she made no signs of moving he picked her up. The light returned to the room as his wings once again disappeared. The torn back of his shirt being the only proof that they had been there. He placed her down on the bed and lay on his side to face her.

"Sing to me, Cullivan, like you use to."

"I only sang sleep spells to you because you never wanted to go to bed no matter how exhausted you were." He caressed her scalp letting his fingers run in between brown curls.

"I know but I want you to sing." He gave in and cleared his throat to prepare for the song.

`Daughter of the light,

I see the weariness

In your chocolate eyes.

It's time to say "Good Night".

Allow me to tuck you in tight.

Give in to your slumber,

Forget your daily plunders.'

He stopped his soft singing once he realized she was asleep. She had fallen asleep after the first note but he hadn't noticed till he felt her breath on his neck. He didn't want to leave her side but he knew he had to. The sleep spell would make sure she didn't awaken till someone sang the reverse spell. Catalane would be back in a few days; she'd be able to sing the spell. Shawnie wouldn't need to eat while under the spell she'd remain well nourished. He pulled a wooden case out from under the bed. He had hoped to never lay eyes on the contents of the case again. He first pulled out the sword on its holder and put the belt around his waist. Next he pulled out the golden staff with a centered sapphire in its oval top. An immediate surge of power coursed through his veins and his wings once again appeared as soon as he touched the golden staff. Luckily the wings hadn't ripped his gray muscle tank and matching cloak. He touched a piece of paper making the message he wanted to leave behind appear on it. He kissed her forehead and reluctantly exited their cabin for what he believed to be the last time.

"I hope you will forgive me Shawnie Alezandria for not having the courage to say this to your face. I love you and it frightened me more than I can ever explain. It is impossible not to love you but I have a mission I must complete. I take my leave in hopes that this journey will allow me to find my purpose for being on this Earth. I can not say that I will come back to you so please move on with your life. You have a future do not let my absence take that away. Catalane take care of her. I also apologize to you for not informing you of my inferiority. You have been right all along you are the better angel. Cullivan." The blonde put down the paper and looked at the brunette she had awoken only moments ago.

"How long has he been gone?" Her voice was void of any emotion and her eyes stayed focus on the floor.

"More than a week. I returned late from acquiring us supplies to find you under a sleeping spell. The note was an afterthought to me you came first."

"Thank you." She let the blonde hug her needing to be comforted.

"As I expected he abandoned her. Such a stupid move, Cullivan. Now she will come to me whether she likes it or not." He waved his hand over the water making the image disappear. He snapped his fingers and three women bowed down in front of him.

"How may we serve you, Master?" He smiled wickedly at the three powerful warriors.

"You will bring Shawnie Alezandria to me. Do not harm her or I will kill all of you. You can do what you want to the angel. Do not come back to me without the girl."

"Yes Master." All three set off to complete their given task. He sat in his golden throne and allowed one of the servants to brush his ebony tresses.

"Master Draken permission to speak?"

"Granted. What is on your mind Kaede?"

"I was curious as to what Master Draken wants from Lady Alezandria." He grabbed her wrist and pulled her to his front. He twirled a few strands of the hair he'd forced her to dye purple in between his fingers.

"That is none of your concern. Lady Alezandria belongs to me everyone will learn that." He pushed her away with such force that she bounced just before passing out.

"Such weaklings. Humans are so pathetic. Get her out of my sight." A muscular bald man stepped out of the darkness and picked up the small body. He suppressed the urge to tear Draken to shreds for he knew he wouldn't get close enough to do so.

"Just relax, take a nap."

"Catalane I have slept enough. Please let me do the harvesting." She tried once again to go out the door with the wicker baskets but was pulled back.

"Cullivan told me to care for you."

"Stop it! Just stop it! I'm sick of both you treating me like a child! I'm not a little girl anymore!" Catalane put a hand over her mouth to silence her.

"Three are approaching." Shawnie nodded her head and cautiously walked towards the window. She could see three females ready for battle hunched in the bushes. One pounced forward going through the window and past Shawnie. The other two followed shortly after. The third fired an arrow at Catalane immediately taking her out of the equation.

"The Master wants you and what he wants we shall deliver." A blow to the head left her seeing black.

"A state of emergency has been declared. Everyone please stay calm and get to your nearest shelter. Remain calm." Sirens were going off everywhere as people frantically ran for safety. They pushed and shoved most not caring for anything but them. Only a few fought the crowds to try to get children to safety.

"Come on kids in here!" It was happening all over, war. Innocent people were being killed for the jealousy and pride of a select few. The streets were empty and deadly silent. Only a small number of pure hearts were destined to survive the senseless bombings. The angels came down from the heavens and opened their wings over the heads of the pure of heart. They felt at ease under the shadows of the glorious wings. One woman caught the red feather of an angel as the series of bombings began. The angels' feet finally touched the oppressed ground and looked upon the survivors. The humans were speechless and could only stare admirably at their saviors. A petite brunette stood up holding a red feather in her hand. She walked to the only angel with blood red wings and presented it to him. His hand tightened on the hilt of his sword as he inspected the girl. Everyone watched curiously at the interaction between the girl and what they believed to be a super human. She grabbed his free hand and pressed the feather into it. The feel of her fingertips on his fist made chills run up his spine. It was a sensation he had never experienced or knew anything about.

"Thank you." She threw her arms around him and the other survivors cheered.

"Cullivan?" She woke up in a strange room feeling very uneasy. By the cushiness underneath her she knew she was in a bed but what was the cold item biting into her ankle? She heard the rattling of a chain as tried to get off the bed and fell flat on her face.

`Yo! Hey! Ho! Hey! Yo! La! Le! Oh! Hey! Yo!'

She sang out the secret greeting she and Cullivan had established after someone had robbed her by impersonating his voice.

"What is all that ruckus?" She searched for the source of the deep voice but her eyes couldn't adjust to the darkness. She could feel the heat of another body nearing her's and reached out a hand to touch it. A visual of the person came to her mind as soon as her fingers brushed the smooth skin of his face.

"I've never met you before but I think I know you. You are close to me." He moved away from her to light a lamp at her right. He felt as if his heart had stopped beating the moment all her features became vividly clear. He hugged her tightly to him and she tensed up.

"I am Draken." He let her go and she backed away from him leaving her back pressed against the headboard.

"What do you want and why have you kidnapped me? Catalane! What happened to Catalane?" She tugged at his black shirt and shook him with all her might. He slapped away her hands and smoothed the fabric of his shirt.

"The angel is fine but for how long depends on you."

"Let her go. I'll do whatever you want if you just let her go."

"You really don't know who I am?" He wiped away her tears with the ball of his thumb.

"Am I supposed to?" He got up and rolled his shoulders till a pair of red wings were proudly displayed.

"From the shock written on your face I'd say you have a clue to my identity." She reached out to touch the red plumage.

"Cullivan didn't have wings like this, his are smaller."

"Because he is younger than I. He is not worthy of such glorious wings. He must earn them which I doubt he will ever do."

"I don't care about any of that! Where is Catalane and why have I been brought here?" She tried to stand but the chain yanked her down and into his open arms. She pushed him away and sat back down with her arms crossed over her chest.

"You are truly of my blood." She looked up at him now with curious eyes.

"Of your blood? That's not possible. I am human you are an angel." He tucked a few stray auburn strands of hair behind her ear.

"How many humans do you know that are able to see with their mind? You see the past, the future and you saw me with just a single touch."

"The past?"

"The war, you replay it in your mind. You have seen the destruction of this world even though it was before your time." She dropped back onto the bed and hid her face in the soft blankets.

"That was the war?" Her voice was muffled but he heard her nonetheless.

"That was the end of the war and the beginning of Earth's struggle." She stared silently at anything but the angel before her.

"And why do I relive it again and again?"

"The visions are trying to guide you. You can restore the Earth to what it was before the war."

"But how?" He took a key out from the pocket of his black slacks and opened the metal cuff around her ankle. He pulled her onto her feet surprised that she allowed him to do so.

"I can show you, daughter."

He had been traveling for days on foot, by air would draw too much attention. Humans knew of the angels' existence but that still didn't deter their curious fear of them. He had to find Mana, the angel who had gouged out her eyes because of terrible visions she had been cursed with. Losing her sight didn't result in the desired effect instead the onslaught of her visions become more rapid. She would be able to tell him what his mission was. He'd complete it even if it were scores too late.

He sighed in relief at finally seeing the hut he'd been searching for. He knocked softly on the door and awaited a reply. The woman who answered the door was far from what he had expected her to be. He'd thought Mana would be old and crippled but this woman was young and lithe.

"Cullivan I have been awaiting you. Come in rest your tired feet. I will give you the information you seek after you've eaten and showered."

"Thank you." He bowed graciously to her and stepped into the hut. The outside had deceived what lay within. It seemed like the main chambers of a royal home.

"Gifts for the guidance I provide. They don't do me any good seeing as I can not see objects only events." Being that he was an angel he wasn't the least bit bothered by Mana's ability to read his thoughts.

"The bathroom is to your left. I will prepare you a meal while you shower."

"Thank you." He stood in the shower letting the warm water wash away the grim and stress of his journey. Shawnie made her way into his thoughts once again. Sometimes he felt like going back and spending the rest of his time with her but it had already been a year. She was of age now and probably being courted by some human male. He'd lost his chance with her but that still didn't stop him from dreaming of their children running wildly around the cabin.

"I brought you a towel and hurry up your meal is getting cold." Even though he knew she was blind he still felt embarrassed at having her in the bathroom while he was completely nude. She laughed having read his thoughts and exited the bathroom.

"Women." He came out of the bathroom with only a towel around his waist.

"I laid out something for you to wear. The material is much softer than that of your clothing and will allow you to move better. It's in my bedroom and I promise I won't go in till you're done." He blushed and went to the room she had pointed out. The garments looked very familiar but where had he seen them before? An image flashed from his memory but it was too quick for him to place it. It had seemed like he was getting ready for battle and those were the clothes he'd worn. He shook his head letting his still wet blonde locks splash water on the walls. She had been right the black pants and white shirt were much softer than the jeans and muscle tank he'd been wearing for so long. The black cloak felt like it had been spun of clouds, it was so light yet amazingly warm.

"Cullivan! You're food is getting cold!" He hurried to the kitchen and sat at the table. Mana sat across from him her blue bangs covering the spots where her eyes use to be.

"This is delicious."

"You're lying to me. You can't taste it." He put down the fork and stared up at her.

"You're right."

"You think angels can not taste Earthly foods but it is only angels who don't know their purpose for being on this Earth or who feel they don't belong. They can not taste."

"I could taste Shawnie's kiss."

"She is your purpose. The completion to your mission lies in her."

"I don't understand." She stood up and he followed her out of the room.

"You need to collect the Tears of the Angels and only then will you able to return to Shawnie."

"Tears of the Angels?"

"They are sapphires made of tears from angels who could not cope with having to leave this world. They are scattered throughout the land and you must find them and join them."

"But how does Shawnie fit in to all of this?"

"She…"

"Mana!" The angel disappeared as soon as the strong male voice called out her name. Cullivan searched the hut for her to no avail.

"How was he?" The brunette questioned the blind blue haired angel.

"He misses you."

"He should never have left me. Did you send him on the right track?"

"Yes."

"Then you are no longer needed." With one stroke of his sword the angel lay dead at their feet.

"Why must you do business like that?"

"It leaves no connections."

"Father I could have just erased her memory. Killing them is cruel and senseless." She sat back in her father's throne and began clipping her fingernails.

"But it's much easier." He kissed the top of her head and left her to herself in the dreary silence. She sighed and ran a hand through her auburn hair.

"Cullivan I thought you would return to me but I am no longer of interest to you. You will only need me to complete your quest. You don't love me and never will." She pulled back the curtain to allow moonlight to brighten the pitch-black room. She opened the window and put her legs over the windowsill. She looked down at the grass that was stories below her dangling feet. She dove onto a tree a few feet away barely missing her target.

"I'm sorry Father but I do not want to be obliged to my love if I am merely a pawn in his mission." She slid down the trunk of the tree to the ground and looked back at the mansion one more time before running off.

"I knew you'd leave me eventually but it still doesn't lessen the pain I feel at losing you once again. My daughter I hope you are happy but it won't be with Cullivan. I will destroy him for making me miss out on your life."

She ran as fast as her legs could carry her till they gave way. She went tumbling down a hill and landed quite unceremoniously in front of a well just as a man was fetching some water. He stared curiously at the unconscious brunette and stepped closer to touch her face. She groaned and he jumped back. She stood up shakily and looked at him. He moved closer to her just in time to catch her as she once again passed out. He picked up her light form and headed back towards the village.

"It's really over! Captain what's that?" The angels all turned to look at a ball of light slowly falling from the heavens. It was blinding to their sensitive eyes so they shielded them with their cloaks. The vibrations of the unidentified object hitting the ground sent them all on their behinds. They got up and shook themselves off. The red winged Captain flew off his men following by silent orders.

"What is it Captain?"

"It's a him." They all looked into the crater to see a blonde angel staring dumbfounded at them. He held a golden staff and kept his free hand at the hilt of the sword by his side.

"Who are you?" He scrunched up his features making them look that much more innocent and handsome.

"I don't know."

"Get him out of there."

"Yes Captain." As soon as the angel tried to step into the crater he was shocked and thrown back a good ten yards.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." He lifted his staff and flapped his ebony wings till he was at the same level as the angels. He floated towards the fallen angel and waved his staff over him. The angel took a deep breath and opened his piercing green eyes.

"I'm alive."

"Sorry I forgot about the protection spell." He helped the dark haired man back to his feet.

"It's okay. My name is Camber."

"Name? I have one of those it's…"

"Cullivan!" An elderly woman rushed to her side to calm her down.

"Child what's wrong?" She looked at the gentle face of the old woman and sighed.

"Where am I?"

"Kotenru. My son found you when he was fetching water for my soup and brought you here." She looked around the room noticing the state of distress it was in. It looked like it would fall apart at any moment but it was obvious it had been a place of refuge.

"How long have I been here?" The woman began counting on her wrinkled fingers the candlelight making the skin look almost transparent.

"Nine hours and twenty three minutes." She smiled at the woman's need for accuracy.

"Thank you for your kindness but I must be going." A strong hand pushed her back onto the bed.

"You'll be going nowhere till that fractured wrist and all those bruises are healed." She gasped as her eyes locked onto those of a green she'd seen in her vision.

"Camber." His face went blank and he stiffened up. He closed his eyes tight like he was trying to keep something from getting out through them.

"Mama why don't you go tend to the soup? I'll watch our guest."

"Okay Arkin." She kissed his cheek having to stand on her tip toes to reach it even though he leaned down. He waited till he heard the pots in the kitchen before speaking.

"How do you know my name?"

"What happened to your white wings?" He sat down and gripped her shoulders forcing her to meet his gaze.

"How do you know my name?" His voice was firmer and much more demanding this time.

"Visions. I am the daughter of your Captain." He put a hand over his mouth to cover the gasps of surprise that escaped.

"The one he took. Captain was enraged that day he ripped out my wings and left me to die but Karo found me. I was supposed to be guarding you but I fell asleep."

"Let me guess you heard someone singing?"

"Yes how did you know?" Her shoulders slumped and she stared at the fire dancing on the melting wax.

"Cullivan was very good at sleeping spells." She lay down on her side with her back towards him.

"He was also good at healing spells." He put a hand on her thigh where an massive bruise had already formed. She cringed at the touch and relaxed as the pain slowly began to dull to nothing. She sat up and hiked up her dress to look at her now healed thigh.

"How did you do that?" She ran her fingertips over the milk and honey colored skin.

"When he revived me I changed. I gained power and my eyes weren't always this haunting green they were dark and cold like Draken's, and your's."

Angel Tears

- 1 -