Fan Fiction ❯ Animorphs -- Pemalite Chronicles I: ❯ ~People and Dying, Children are Crying~ ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
(Warnings: Swearing, still un-betaread)

Pemalite Chronicles I: Last Thing on my Mind (part 2)
~People and Dying, Children are Crying~

by: AniDragon, aka Riona-chan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Chapter 3

If the phone didn't stop ringing in two seconds, I was going to throw it out the window.

Or answer it. It WAS much more reasonable, after all. But still, being woken up by the phone at three in the morning wasn't what I'd call pleasant.

Unfortunately, my reasonable side was with me that morning, so I ended up answering it.

Damn.

"Hello?" I answered groggily, inches away from yelling at the person who would dare to wake me up.

"Sonia," The voice said, plastered with fake innocence, "Dear sister, it's Sandra."

Did I say inches away? Scratch that.

"You'd better have a damn good reason to wake me up this early and if you don't tell me in ten seconds I'm hanging up and going back to bed."

"Nononono!!!" My sister exclaimed, "Please don't! I only have one phone call!!!"

I sighed, "You got arrested again? When will you learn?"

I could almost hear her role her eyes, "Shut up and tell mom to come bail me out."

"Fine," I said with a sigh, then hung up and knocked on the door to my mom and step dad's room, "Mooooooooom! Sandra's a morron and got arrested again!"

"I'll go pick her up in the morning," I heard her mutter, "Would you be a dear and leave a note on the kitchen table to remind me?"

"All right."

I went down the main floor and wrote up the note. When I was about to go back up, something on the top of the fridge caught my eye. Taking a closer look, I could see it was a small doll of a little girl with long, curly brown hair tied in a blue ribbon, and dressed in a matching dress. Odd... Since when had that been there? Maybe left behind by the last family who had lived in this house?

Shrugging, I took the doll and brought it to my room, setting it on my computer table. That done, I went back to bed, forgetting about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The small ball of light separated itself from the others. None noticed. She went into a holographic room. She played around with images of the world she saw until she decided to take the form of the first she saw. She melted her form until she was a familiar looking little girl dressed in blue. Waving her hands around the room, she created a pink aura to surround it. She played again with images, until she picked a group of people who interested her. One member of the group had blond hair and a confident look on her face. The child took her image and placed it on a shelf.

"Rachel, warrior, yet very lovely, I will name you Senshi[1] Dolly."

She then took the image of a short, sarcastic looking boy, and placed it on the shelf as well.

"Marco, joker, yet full of pain, Tomodachi[2] Doll will be your name."

She took the other images, one by one, placing them on the shelf.

"Jake, all for one, one for all, I will name you Shido[3] Doll. Tobias, you're human, and yet you're not, I will name you Unmei[4] Doll. Aximili, with a home do far, you deserve the name Kodoku[5] Doll. Cassie, friendly, but still a killer, you are Sakura[6] Dolly, now and forever."

She then took an image of a new girl. New to the group. She had long brown hair, and laughing mauve eyes. The child couldn't think of a name for her. But then she got an idea.

"Sonia, you won't be you for long, Omoide[7] Dolly suits you like a song."

Chapter 4

I arrived at the dance and looked around for Rachel and Cassie. Finally, I spotted the two of them standing with four guys. I recognized one as Marco, and one I had seen around school. I think his name was Jake, or Jack, or something like that. The other two were completely new. There was a cute dirty blonde with a strange, distant look on his face, and the other was a confused, somewhat feminine looking boy with large, curious eyes.

The two were soon introduced to me as Tobias and Philip. Tobias was Rachel's date, and Philip was a friend from another school.

The dance was fairly uneventful, other then the fact that Tobias and Philip kept disappearing every two hours or so. At first I figured they were going to the bathroom, but the fact that they were going at the same time as very.... odd.....

At the end of the dance, the group brought me to an isolated place in the parking lot. I followed reluctantly, not knowing what they might want. From the way they were acting, it seemed almost as if they were going to try to sell me drugs or something...

If only it was something small like that....

Rachel spoke first, "Sonia, we've talked about this, and we've watched you long enough to know that we can trust you with this."

Confused, I glanced around at the others. They all had odd, serious looks on their faces. The same look Rachel had when I had seen her take Cassie aside the first time I met them.

And somehow, I knew that what they were about to tell me would change my life forever...

They started the explanation with small things, like aliens and the power to morph. Using the term 'small' lightly, of course, as it was only small compared to what they told me next.

The Yeerks.

Bit by bit, I learned of the Yeerks and what they did. Bit by bit, I learned of the horrors that were hidden underground, in space, and even out in the open in the minds of the people around us.

I was shaking when they finished telling me. I knew they weren't lying. If the looks on their faces weren't enough, no one could make up something so repulsive.

"Why me?" I finally asked, my voice barely a whisper, "Why did you choose to tell me, of all people?"

Rachel bit her lip, "To be honest, we're not sure.... Partially because you haven't been here long, so the Yeerks wouldn't have had time to get to you. Partially because of intuition..."

"Intuition? You're trusting intuition in something fucked up like this?!"

They all looked at me in shock. I guess they didn't think I was going to believe them.

"It's not just that," Cassie said, "There's... Rachel mentioned it, and I agree... There's just something about you. An aura, or something, that makes us feel like we can trust you.... We watched you for three days, and you didn't go near any known Yeerk pool entrances. And to be honest, we've been wanting to increase our numbers for some time now, and didn't know who to approach on the risk that they might be controllers. And like Rachel said, since you're new to the country, they haven't had much time to get to you."

I brought my hand up to my head and leaned against the walls of the school, "I... I have to think about it. I'm sorry, it's just it's so sudden, and I... I just need time to think."

"We understand," Ax-- as I learned was his real name-- nodded, "Contact us when you have made your decision. Remember to be subtle, especially over the phone and in public."

With this, I was given a phone number which they said couldn't be tapped.

"Eric or his dad should answer," Jake informed me, "Just tell them that you've made your decision, and he'll tell you where to meet us."

Then they walked off, leaving me to my thoughts.

I began looking for my mom's car, trying to clear my head, but an unknown voice was speaking in my head.

People are dying... Children are Crying...

I shook my head to clear it, then finally spotted the car. I got in and faked a smile, telling my mom that the dance was fun and that I had made some really nice friends.

Yet when I got home and went to sleep, the voice whispered to me in my dreams, taking the form of a child, an innocent little girl with brown curls dressed in midnight blue.

People are dying. Children are crying.

Yeah, well not while I'm around.

When I woke the next morning, my mind was set. It was time to call this Eric person and let him know that I was the new Animorph.

~End of part 2~

Footnotes:

[1] Senshi = Soldier (Rachel)
[2] Tomodachi = Friend (Marco)
[3] Shido = Leadership (Jake)
[4] Unmei = Destiny (Tobias)
[5] Kodoku = Loneliness (Ax)
[6] Sakura = Cherry Blossom (Cassie)
[7] Omoide = Memory (Sonia)

(A/N: Ahhh... Part two finished. ^_^. Still borderline cliché, but I'm trying to make it original! It'll be more so in part II of the chronicles. There's one more chapter to this part, and then I'll start working on the second part. ^^. Please review!)