Fan Fiction ❯ Avenge thy Mother ❯ Avenge thy Mother ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/n: haha. Ok, so this is a one shot. I was assigned a task in my AP English 11 class to write a short (meaning 2-3 pages doublespaced) paper on one of two topics on The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I thought this was funny, as did my mom who looked over it for me, and so I decided today (Thursday 23-12-04) to post it before I left for my Father's.
Just for some reference, the task went something like such: Crystal Ball: Write a short story predicting what Pearl's adolescence and adult-hood will be like, from her point of view. Include possible marital status, children, etc.
Now, I know that the way I did it and the way the book ends is totally different, since when I wrote this yesterday I wasn't even near Chapter 10. (More like half of that.) But please, enjoy my screwed up views of an impressionable child and review if you like.
Pearl is between 8 and 10 in this story.

Enjoy!
Lynne

::123456789::

Avenge Thy Mother

Pearl slowly approached the small hut. It was humble and inconspicuous in appearance, the only decoration about the outside being a small rosebush a few feet to the side of the doorway. Looking over her shoulder to make sure no one was following her, she approached the door. Her position in this town was bad enough as it was; if anyone found out she was visiting here, it would be sure to make matters worse. However, her curiosity, as always, had gotten the best of her. She knocked on the door, pulling her shawl tighter around her to ward out the crisp autumn breezes. Her clothes did not do much to keep out the impending cold, and her small frame did not help her either. Hopefully this woman would answer the door soon. A bitter wind blew through, chilling her to the core. Once she was sure that she could not get any colder, the lady who inhabited the hut opened the door, and smiled gently.

This lady, shunned by the community much like herself and her mother, was a mystic, and was rumored to be able to see into the future with much accuracy. The amazing thing about her was (although no one admitted whether it was true, they could not, would not!) she was able to let you see the vision as well as her, and the future to be imprinted in your current memory.

When Pearl had heard about this, she was instantly curious, wanting to see what was held for her. She had ideas of what she wanted to do, but how was she to do it? And would they ever come true? These were among many questions she had hoped to be answered by this famed (yet shunned) lady.

"My, child, why hast thou come to visit me? Thou seemest so young; surely a reading is not what thou seeketh." The lady's voice was smooth and sweet, though her appearance was anything but. She was not old, but not young either, and was clothed in coarse materials. They were flamboyantly colored, the combinations somewhat garish, though it was apparent the amount of wear the clothing had received.

"Well, actually, I have come for that, ma'am," Pearl quietly stated, unsure of herself. "I have the proper payment, and if thou would please…" She kept her eyes trained on the floor, not wanting to offend the woman.

"Very well, then," the mystic turned around and walked in a few steps, "come, child, let us see what thy future holds." The pair walked in the house, and the woman motioned for her to be seated, while she made the necessary preparations.

The room was vast, and it was obvious that other than another, small room that probably served as a bedroom, this was the extent of the house. There was a decent sized - what would she call it, a cauldron? - in the center of the room. She hadn't much experience in this area It was bubbling with some sort of liquid, and it had a very pungent smell coming from it. She wrinkled her nose in distaste.

The lady turned around, and smiled at the face the child was making. "Never one to hide your feelings, eh? Well, never mind, I just require a strand of hair," she started, while plucking a strand from Pearl's head, earning a slight squeak from the child. She then put it into a small flask filled with other herbs and what looked like some sort of brew, swirled it together (effectively dissolving the hair), and poured it into the cauldron.

"Thou must look into the cauldron, and tell me what you see."

Pearl followed the instructions, looking at the surface of the liquid, holding her breath, and saw, surprisingly, scenes played on the surface of it. How this came about, she did not know, and she was afraid that the true work of the devil was afoot, but she allowed her curiosity to continue fueling her actions, and stared into the cauldron, repeating everything she saw.

"Well, I see me, only…I'm older. I see myself in school, running around, getting lots of work done. There's lots of people I know, and they all shun me, like they do now. But I don't really care, and I do my work well. I'm actually the teacher's favorite, though he doesn't show it. I don't blame him though.

"Now I see people, people I don't know. They are older than myself, I am older as well, and they talk to me. I don't understand why; shouldn't they be shirking from me? I see myself looking at them, and I see all their inner secrets. I can see right through their skin and into their soul. They cannot hide their lies from me, Mamma was telling me something about this, as if there were a look that I have that could pass through all the pretend that she put up and I saw her for what she really was; maybe I use that look there? I don't know! It all is confusing me!

"For some reason, I'm in a position of power. I thought that women weren't allowed power in our town. I wonder why this is. Oh! - I see me, what is this, blackmail? I see me talking to these men, threatening them with their own secrets! Why, why is this? Why am I doing this? What good will this get me?"

The woman laid her hand on Pearl's shoulder, and shook her head. "Calm down, child. Pay attention to the vision, not your questions."

"Well, now I see myself in power, and for some reason, the village is not what it used to be. I don't understand."

The woman peered over her shoulder and grinned. "Child, thou shalt not see it here, but I can see. Thou will be using this power for change, even if thou must use `evil' tactics to get that way. Thy power will help thee to get back at this community that has so cruelly lashed out at thee for no other reason than that of thy blood. Thy children will follow in thy suit, helping to wash out the prejudice. Thy work will be hard, and tedious. I doubt anyone will accept the changes.

"But you will come to possess knowledge beyond all normal beings. Thy mother was correct, thou art able to look into a person's very soul, and see for thyself the truth beyond all truths. I suggest that thou use thy gifts to make these people pay for what they have done, and avenge thy mother, and all she has gone through for thee, and her sake as well!"

The lady finished her impassioned words with a tone of authority and finality, and leaned back in her chair, or more probably the very chair Pearl sat in when she entered the room.

"You're right! Mamma always said I was gifted. I'm going to make everything better!" She stated firmly. She turned around, starting on her way out. "Thank you, Goody!" She gave a quick smile, and then ran out the door, stopping along the way to smell the roses outside the door.

The woman smiled tenderly, watching the door shut leisurely and making out the girl who ran in her yard just past it. She reflected on the events of the past few minutes, when a gradual expression of dawning knowledge passed over her face.

"She never paid."

::123456789::

A/n: Be sure to review! Hope you liked!

Stay well,
Lynne