Fan Fiction ❯ Before the Slayer ❯ My Son ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before the Slayer 2: My Son
 
Dear Diary:
After being dazzled repeatedly by Michael, the meal finally ended, and we stepped out into the cold night air.
“Well, my place is that way,” He pointed. “But I'll still walk you home.” he offered to Alex, whose apartment was in the opposite direction.
“Actually, it's only a few blocks from here. Lilly's home is farther than mine, so why don't you walk her instead?” Alex replied thoughtfully, smiling all the while. He and I regarded each other awkwardly, and I quickly thought up an excuse.
“That's not necessary. I'll just call a cab.” I said swiftly, dismissing the subject.
“Actually, I don't mind since I'm headed that way as well. Plus, I'd enjoy the company. You didn't talk much at dinner.” Michael insisted, shaking his head at my protest and kissing Alex goodbye. I almost dissented, but since he towered over me at about 6' even, I felt it best not to.
“Let's go then.” I said briskly as soon as Alex was out of sight. I spun on my heel and was about to take a step forward, when Michael stopped me, taking the lead as if to protect me.
“Just asking, but where exactly do you live?” he inquired as we strolled along. I could tell that he was trying to ease the awkwardness with conversation, but I still kept my guard up.
“Not far. Alex only said that so we would maybe get to know each other better.” I said with a sigh. “She's far too innocent.”
“Uh, she mentioned that you had a son. Is that true?” he asked, obviously choosing his words very carefully.
“More or less. I found him alone on the street. He said he had no memories and no place to go, so I took him in. And since I graduated a year early, that helped a lot.” I half-lied. It was true that I had indeed graduated a year early, but I had not found the boy. I figured I would tell him the truth when I learned to trust him a little more.
“Really? How old is he?”
“Six, and turning seven in January.” I answered. “Well, this is my stop.” We came to a pause outside an apartment with a black front, a small peek-hole, and barred windows. I knocked three times, and got one knock in return. Then, I knocked twice, reaching through the bars and tapping the window. A little face appeared, and then disappeared again. The heavy oak door opened slowly, and out ran a little boy with night black hair and brown eyes. He jumped into my arms, and I returned it lovingly.
“And who is this?” Michael asked, squatting down to my son's eye-level.
“This is Asa. Asa, this is Alex's new boyfriend Michael.” I introduced.
“Are you the archangel?” Asa asked innocently. I smiled softly, grabbing his hand and leading the two inside. Michael smiled as well, shaking his head `no'.
The six-year-old wore his favorite light blue pajamas, and on the way inside, grabbed a white teddy bear with golden angel wings and a halo attached. I took Asa to his room, and told him I would come in and tuck him in in a minute. Michael, meanwhile, went on into my home.
“Well then,” I began, walking into my book-covered living room. “Thank you for walking me home.” Michael, who had picked up one of my vampire novels, stood up, smiling. He glanced at the various crosses around the house.
“Are you very religious?” he asked bluntly.
“I grew up without religion, and decided not to let the same lack-of-faith condemn Asa too.” I responded, leading him to the door. He looked at me strangely, and paused before stepping through the open door.
“What ever made you think you were condemned?” he wondered aloud. I pursed my lips at the bitter and frightening memories.
“Things I've done that are best left unsaid.” I replied. He took the hint, and stepped outside, waving goodbye. I did the same, forcing a mirthless smile, and closed the door, locking it tightly. I closed my eyes, sighing loudly, and leaned against the door, sliding down slowly.
Suddenly, Asa screamed, my eyes shot open, and the next thing I knew, I was opening his door. Inside, a black dog with leathery wings was snarling at my whimpering son, closing in for the kill. Without thinking, I ran forward and kicked it in the jaw, throwing it on its side. I grabbed Asa, and ran with him down the hall after closing and locking his door. There was a back door in my bathroom closet that I had had installed in case something similar to this happened. We only got as far as the living room, however.
There, reading one of my many copies of the bible, was a fallen.